FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > EU is being very genourous to the uk.

EU is being very genourous to the uk.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

They are planning to give an extension to brexit to 2021. I reckon it is good cos brexit cant be delivered in time if ever, whats your view?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ainbow_RoadWoman  over a year ago

Near Leamington Spa

My view is that this is a rabbit hole that is not going to go well. Much like this whole shambles

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

I don't suppose this has anything to do with the billions that the UK would pay in that period to the EU does it?

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I don't suppose this has anything to do with the billions that the UK would pay in that period to the EU does it?"

The amount we'd pay as full members is not that much more than what we've agreed to pay under the transition agreement.

Personally i think this is a more about getting around the argument that, under the transition agreement, we would be bound by EU rules but have no say in there making.

[Removed by poster at 25/02/19 00:13:18]

"My view is that this is a rabbit hole that is not going to go well. Much like this whole shambles"
That is right

"I don't suppose this has anything to do with the billions that the UK would pay in that period to the EU does it?"
No. I reckon it is more todo with northern irelands border.

By *ex4unowCouple  over a year ago

near you

I personally think that the eu wants to delay for a different negotiator but hope we cancel leaving

I also believe this was the plan on both sides from the outset to devalue the pound to make us take up the euro

Or Maybe I’m too cynical

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"They are planning to give an extension to brexit to 2021. I reckon it is good cos brexit cant be delivered in time if ever, whats your view?"
. Does that mean that the N.H.S. won't be getting the extra £350 million per week until 2021 ???????

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

I wouldn't say it was generous or not. You can however guarantee that if it is offered, it is for the benefit of the EU. If it also benefits the UK, then that is an a side benefit.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If our Government is as strong & stable and determined to deliver our Red, White & blue Brexit as they have said over and over they are then no extension will be needed what so ever.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"They are planning to give an extension to brexit to 2021. I reckon it is good cos brexit cant be delivered in time if ever, whats your view?"

The EU don't want us to leave is the answer, once we have left they have lost their grip on us better to keep us in the club abit longer and hope the decision gets overturned.

"They are planning to give an extension to brexit to 2021. I reckon it is good cos brexit cant be delivered in time if ever, whats your view?

The EU don't want us to leave is the answer, once we have left they have lost their grip on us better to keep us in the club abit longer and hope the decision gets overturned. "

Why do people feel the need to blame the EU for everything....

It's fully within the UK's power to leave the EU at any time, the EU cannot stop or delay us leaving.

Our governments had nearly 3 years to get its house in order for leaving the EU.

If an extension is needed it's because it's our fuck up.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"They are planning to give an extension to brexit to 2021. I reckon it is good cos brexit cant be delivered in time if ever, whats your view?

The EU don't want us to leave is the answer, once we have left they have lost their grip on us better to keep us in the club abit longer and hope the decision gets overturned.

It's fully within the UK's power to leave the EU at any time, the EU cannot stop or delay us leaving.

Our governments had nearly 3 years to get its house in order for leaving the EU.

If an extension is needed it's because it's our fuck up. "

I am not blaming the Eu you just assumed I was! I am simply stating they don't want us to leave and will do whatever is needed to try and prevent it happening.

If an extension is needed it's because it's our fuck up.

I am not blaming the Eu you just assumed I was! I am simply stating they don't want us to leave and will do whatever is needed to try and prevent it happening."

Saying the EU will do whatever is needed to prevent us leaving is not blaming the EU then....

Ooookayyyyy

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Of course they would as they dont want us to leave they need our trade and money.Probably hoping we will change our mind.I have now got to the point where i think we should just leave whatever everyone will lose so they then will get their arse in gear and get something sorted.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Of course they would as they dont want us to leave they need our trade and money.Probably hoping we will change our mind.I have now got to the point where i think we should just leave whatever everyone will lose so they then will get their arse in gear and get something sorted."

Do you think they need us more than we need them?

I find it incredible that people still think this way despite everything that has been demonstrated in the last three years. I actually thought Even Brexiters had gone past this now and the new narrative was something like - “yes, we will suffer for a while, but we survived the war and we won, so they will suffer more in the end”

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The UK can leave the EU on March 29.

That is in the control of the UK.

The fact we are talking about any sort of delay tells you how hopelessly unprepared the UK is for going it alone.

Bristol East

"

I find it incredible that people still think this way despite everything that has been demonstrated in the last three years. I actually thought Even Brexiters had gone past this now and the new narrative was something like - “yes, we will suffer for a while, but we survived the war and we won, so they will suffer more in the end”"

Yes, the narrative has changed, hasn’t it.

All these ridiculous assumptions have been replaced with a stiff upper lip and calls for the blitz spirit.

The blitz?

Imagine huddling in an air raid shelter and discovering half the fuckers voted for it.

near ipswich

"Of course they would as they dont want us to leave they need our trade and money.Probably hoping we will change our mind.I have now got to the point where i think we should just leave whatever everyone will lose so they then will get their arse in gear and get something sorted.

Do you think they need us more than we need them?

I find it incredible that people still think this way despite everything that has been demonstrated in the last three years. I actually thought Even Brexiters had gone past this now and the new narrative was something like - “yes, we will suffer for a while, but we survived the war and we won, so they will suffer more in the end”"

Why do you think they dont need us more than we need them its simple economics we import more from every country in the eu than we export that means they earn more from us than we do from them,i think its incredible that remainers cant get their heads around this.Thats without the tourist trade which is worth millions to the likes of spain, greece ,italy and potugal all that will feel the loss more than the likes of germany.

Bristol East

"Why di you think they dont need us more than we need them its simple economics we import more from every country in the eu than we export that means they earn more from us than we do from them,i think its incredible that remainers cant get their heads around this.Thats without the tourist trade which is worth millions to the likes of spain, greece ,italy and potugal all that will feel the loss more than the likes of germany."

Do you think we will be prohibited from going on holiday after March 29, or buying goods made in the EU?

near ipswich

"Why di you think they dont need us more than we need them its simple economics we import more from every country in the eu than we export that means they earn more from us than we do from them,i think its incredible that remainers cant get their heads around this.Thats without the tourist trade which is worth millions to the likes of spain, greece ,italy and potugal all that will feel the loss more than the likes of germany.

Do you think we will be prohibited from going on holiday after March 29, or buying goods made in the EU?"

no but if they make it more expensive as you remainers keep telling us people will start going back to Egypt,Tunisia,morocco and turkey where its cheaper.I was in spain last week and this is worrying the junta as the papers were full of it so you can live in your little eu bubble but believe me they will suffer too if they dont get it sorted.

Bristol East

So if travel becomes more expensive, that’s the fault of the EU?

Lololol

Sorry, the people responsible for the UK leaving the single market are those who voted Leave. People like you.

Did you not know what you were voting for?

near ipswich

"So if travel becomes more expensive, that’s the fault of the EU?

Lololol

Sorry, the people responsible for the UK leaving the single market are those who voted Leave. People like you.

"

Who said its the fault of the eu? this is the trouble with anything said against the eu .Read my post i haven't said that its the fault of the eu i said they need us and dont want us to leave and its in everyones interest to get a deal but if they cant just leave all sides would soon see sense and sort it out. Delaying this just causes more uncertainty So please read my posts before responding with things i haven't said.

near ipswich

i see they are all having a good old jolly in the sunshine on our taxes again.

Bristol East

Ah, I see.

You believe we will keep the benefits of the single market, without being in the single market, because they need our £s.

OK

near ipswich

"Ah, I see.

You believe we will keep the benefits of the single market, without being in the single market, because they need our £s.

OK"

See there you go again where have i said that its like banging my head on a brick wall talking to you.

Bristol East

That’s my reading of your post.

The UK votes to leave the single market, but other countries are so worried about the impact the EU will bend over backwards to avoid any barriers to commerce.

It is a common fantasy of the Brexiteers - that other countries will fix things for the UK.

near ipswich

"That’s my reading of your post.

The UK votes to leave the single market, but other countries are so worried about the impact the EU will bend over backwards to avoid any barriers to commerce.

It is a common fantasy of the Brexiteers - that other countries will fix things for the UK."

Well you are reading it all wrong again and obviously its you that has a common fantasy of what leavers want.Where have i said i want the eu to bend over backwards to avoid any barriers to commerce??????

Lololol

Who said its the fault of the eu? this is the trouble with anything said against the eu .Read my post i haven't said that its the fault of the eu i said they need us and dont want us to leave and its in everyones interest to get a deal but if they cant just leave all sides would soon see sense and sort it out. Delaying this just causes more uncertainty So please read my posts before responding with things i haven't said."

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten.

near ipswich

Lololol

Who said its the fault of the eu? this is the trouble with anything said against the eu .Read my post i haven't said that its the fault of the eu i said they need us and dont want us to leave and its in everyones interest to get a deal but if they cant just leave all sides would soon see sense and sort it out. Delaying this just causes more uncertainty So please read my posts before responding with things i haven't said.

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten. "

Im sorry i dont get the point you are making.

Bristol East

There is a proposal on the table that delivers what you say you want.

Business as usual for the next two years.

No other country is impeding it.

It is being thwarted by 115 or so Conservative MPs.

British MPs.

They are the ones holding a gun to our heads and warning the EU they will fire it unless they give us more cake.

Sure, the blood will splatter a few other countries.

But nothing like the emergency surgery the UK will need.

British MPs. Conservative MPs. Not the EU.

near ipswich

"There is a proposal on the table that delivers what you say you want.

British MPs.

They are the ones holding a gun to our heads and warning the EU they will fire it unless they give us more cake.

British MPs. Conservative MPs. Not the EU."

Yes i understand all that all they have to do now is sort the backstop out the uk cannot be held to something for eternity without a way out they know that to.What it needs is a fresh outlook on it, new faces just like when merkel sorted out the immigration problem with turkey by going behind tusks back.Barnier has already said he has brexit fatigue get some new faces in and some new ideas and im sure it can be sorted to everyones interest.

Lololol

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten. Im sorry i dont get the point you are making."

”they need us etc” is based on the fact they do more trade in $ terms. However their gdp is a lot bigger than ours, so the effect of losing some/all of this trade will feel smaller. And if it feels smaller, they care less.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

British MPs.

British MPs. Conservative MPs. Not the EU.Yes i understand all that all they have to do now is sort the backstop out the uk cannot be held to something for eternity without a way out they know that to.What it needs is a fresh outlook on it, new faces just like when merkel sorted out the immigration problem with turkey by going behind tusks back.Barnier has already said he has brexit fatigue get some new faces in and some new ideas and im sure it can be sorted to everyones interest."

Our government negotiated a deal with the EU. A deal that May brought back triumphantly. It's our government that cannot get it ratified. What that tells me is that we have an inept shower who agree a set of proposals yet have no ability to see through the outcome...shameful that we are all being held to ransom by a bunch of ERG shysters

near ipswich

Lololol

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten. Im sorry i dont get the point you are making.”they need us etc” is based on the fact they do more trade in $ terms. However their gdp is a lot bigger than ours, so the effect of losing some/all of this trade will feel smaller. And if it feels smaller, they care less. "

Germanys gdp and maybe france ive not checked may be bigger but what about the other 25 countries? do you honestly believe they will be happy to lose some/all of our trade i dont think so.

near ipswich

British MPs.

British MPs. Conservative MPs. Not the EU.Yes i understand all that all they have to do now is sort the backstop out the uk cannot be held to something for eternity without a way out they know that to.What it needs is a fresh outlook on it, new faces just like when merkel sorted out the immigration problem with turkey by going behind tusks back.Barnier has already said he has brexit fatigue get some new faces in and some new ideas and im sure it can be sorted to everyones interest.

Our government negotiated a deal with the EU. A deal that May brought back triumphantly. It's our government that cannot get it ratified. What that tells me is that we have an inept shower who agree a set of proposals yet have no ability to see through the outcome...shameful that we are all being held to ransom by a bunch of ERG shysters"

.There is a consensus in parliment to get a deal if the backstop can be tweeked so that there is a way out. The government could never get it through on its own it doesnt have the numbers and to just blame the erg is not right either we have mps on both sides who dont want to leave they are a cause too.

Bristol East

" i understand all that all they have to do now is sort the backstop out the uk cannot be held to something for eternity without a way out they know that to.What it needs is a fresh outlook on it, new faces just like when merkel sorted out the immigration problem with turkey by going behind tusks back.Barnier has already said he has brexit fatigue get some new faces in and some new ideas and im sure it can be sorted to everyones interest."

The Brexiteers keep saying the British border in Ireland is an easy fix, so I do not understand why the backstop makes them anxious. Fix it and the backstop becomes redundant.

Ahhh Brexit, 5.189 out of 10 cats said they prefer it

Wouldn't make for a good Whiskers sales tag line but it's the best we can do

" i understand all that all they have to do now is sort the backstop out the uk cannot be held to something for eternity without a way out they know that to.What it needs is a fresh outlook on it, new faces just like when merkel sorted out the immigration problem with turkey by going behind tusks back.Barnier has already said he has brexit fatigue get some new faces in and some new ideas and im sure it can be sorted to everyones interest.

The Brexiteers keep saying the British border in Ireland is an easy fix, so I do not understand why the backstop makes them anxious. Fix it and the backstop becomes redundant."

The irony is the it was the brits that came up with the backstop and article 50.

Lololol

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten. Im sorry i dont get the point you are making.”they need us etc” is based on the fact they do more trade in $ terms. However their gdp is a lot bigger than ours, so the effect of losing some/all of this trade will feel smaller. And if it feels smaller, they care less. Germanys gdp and maybe france ive not checked may be bigger but what about the other 25 countries? do you honestly believe they will be happy to lose some/all of our trade i dont think so."

We are talking about the EU as a whole. At that’s who the “they” are in “they need us”. If you go down to individually countries you need to look at the balance of trade for each.

(But then you have to ignore the “germany run the EU” angle many like to take)

And I’m not saying they are happy losing trade. Just the “they need us more” line based on simply looking at $ trade in isolation of relative gdp is erroneous. Eg your original point.

Bristol East

The EU is losing a $3 tn economy (the UK) a few weeks after adding a $4.5tn economy (Japan) to the single market.

The UK, if it goes down the No Deal route, loses all free trade, apart from with a handful of countries like Switzerland and Faroe Islands.

I do not understand those who argue they need us more than we need them.

Trade will continue. It will just be more expensive and bureaucratic in the future.

For the EU, about 8 per cent of its trade will be more expensive and bureaucratic.

For the UK, about 70 per cent.

near ipswich

Lololol

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten. Im sorry i dont get the point you are making.”they need us etc” is based on the fact they do more trade in $ terms. However their gdp is a lot bigger than ours, so the effect of losing some/all of this trade will feel smaller. And if it feels smaller, they care less. Germanys gdp and maybe france ive not checked may be bigger but what about the other 25 countries? do you honestly believe they will be happy to lose some/all of our trade i dont think so.

We are talking about the EU as a whole. At that’s who the “they” are in “they need us”. If you go down to individually countries you need to look at the balance of trade for each.

And I’m not saying they are happy losing trade. Just the “they need us more” line based on simply looking at $ trade in isolation of relative gdp is erroneous. Eg your original point. "

trade affects a countries gdp its quiet easy to google the trade deficit between the uk and eu.I have never posted germany run the eu so not like the "many" and getting back to the original post no the eu is not being generous they dont want us to leave.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I personally think that the eu wants to delay for a different negotiator but hope we cancel leaving

I also believe this was the plan on both sides from the outset to devalue the pound to make us take up the euro

Or Maybe I’m too cynical "

There could be a lot in what your saying.I definitely feel they would like a different negotiator,and yes they would like us to stay in I am sure,they need us.We will be ok without them though

Lololol

Your economics point is a rich man needs fifty quid more than a poor man needs a tenner because fifty is bigger than ten. Im sorry i dont get the point you are making.”they need us etc” is based on the fact they do more trade in $ terms. However their gdp is a lot bigger than ours, so the effect of losing some/all of this trade will feel smaller. And if it feels smaller, they care less. Germanys gdp and maybe france ive not checked may be bigger but what about the other 25 countries? do you honestly believe they will be happy to lose some/all of our trade i dont think so.

And I’m not saying they are happy losing trade. Just the “they need us more” line based on simply looking at $ trade in isolation of relative gdp is erroneous. Eg your original point. trade affects a countries gdp its quiet easy to google the trade deficit between the uk and eu.I have never posted germany run the eu so not like the "many" and getting back to the original post no the eu is not being generous they dont want us to leave."

I understand how exporting affects gdp. And it’s easy to google size of gdp to work out, as a %, if we lost a chunk of exports to the Eu, it will have a bigger effect on gdp as if they lost a chunk of exporting to us.

near ipswich

Lololol

And I’m not saying they are happy losing trade. Just the “they need us more” line based on simply looking at $ trade in isolation of relative gdp is erroneous. Eg your original point. trade affects a countries gdp its quiet easy to google the trade deficit between the uk and eu.I have never posted germany run the eu so not like the "many" and getting back to the original post no the eu is not being generous they dont want us to leave.

I understand how exporting affects gdp. And it’s easy to google size of gdp to work out, as a %, if we lost a chunk of exports to the Eu, it will have a bigger effect on gdp as if they lost a chunk of exporting to us.

"

Thats why its in everyones interest to get this sorted out, so much better we all win than we all lose.

Lololol

And I’m not saying they are happy losing trade. Just the “they need us more” line based on simply looking at $ trade in isolation of relative gdp is erroneous. Eg your original point. trade affects a countries gdp its quiet easy to google the trade deficit between the uk and eu.I have never posted germany run the eu so not like the "many" and getting back to the original post no the eu is not being generous they dont want us to leave.

Thats why its in everyones interest to get this sorted out, so much better we all win than we all lose."

I see good trade relationships with our neighbours as being good, yes. That’s a reason I voted remain. However I expect any negotiated position to likely be in their favour as they have the stronger hand. We’re at a stage where both sides are minimising loses. Rather than win win.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"Of course they would as they dont want us to leave they need our trade and money.Probably hoping we will change our mind.I have now got to the point where i think we should just leave whatever everyone will lose so they then will get their arse in gear and get something sorted."

The EU sells about 8% of everything that it produces to us.

The UK sells 40% of everything that it produces.

That's rather more as a proportion of everything.

The EU countries can stop buying from us and substitute sales to us with sales to each other at 0% tariff. There is very little that we sell that another EU country does not also have available.

So, their net loss in trade is likely to be significantly smaller than ours.

Do you accept that logic or have you an alternative interpretation?

near ipswich

"Of course they would as they dont want us to leave they need our trade and money.Probably hoping we will change our mind.I have now got to the point where i think we should just leave whatever everyone will lose so they then will get their arse in gear and get something sorted.

The EU countries can stop buying from us and substitute sales to us with sales to each other at 0% tariff. There is very little that we sell that another EU country does not also have available.

Do you accept that logic or have you an alternative interpretation? "

So you are telling me if a no deal happens on the 29th all the stuff the eu sells to us the companies already have a market for it in the eu.If this was the case why have these companies not expanded years ago and made more profit.I repeat this no deal will hit eu companies too so its in everyones interest to get it sorted.Its very easy to to play the % card but that as you well know does not show the true picture i prefer to look at profit and loss figures.

West London

Do you accept that logic or have you an alternative interpretation? So you are telling me if a no deal happens on the 29th all the stuff the eu sells to us the companies already have a market for it in the eu.If this was the case why have these companies not expanded years ago and made more profit.I repeat this no deal will hit eu companies too so its in everyones interest to get it sorted.Its very easy to to play the % card but that as you well know does not show the true picture i prefer to look at profit and loss figures."

What does the word "substitute" mean?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The UK can leave the EU on March 29.

That is in the control of the UK.

The fact we are talking about any sort of delay tells you how hopelessly unprepared the UK is for going it alone.

"

The PM is not talking about a delay and many our not.Personally I think a delay is good for a few months only but that's all

I think the whole Brexit mess has dragged on for far too long now and needs ending on the 29th March, no extension, no delay, just fire the bullet and be done with, we'll either sink or swim, or flounder around.

Do you accept that logic or have you an alternative interpretation? So you are telling me if a no deal happens on the 29th all the stuff the eu sells to us the companies already have a market for it in the eu.If this was the case why have these companies not expanded years ago and made more profit.I repeat this no deal will hit eu companies too so its in everyones interest to get it sorted.Its very easy to to play the % card but that as you well know does not show the true picture i prefer to look at profit and loss figures."

If uk exports become more expensive, some Eu companies may be able to price at a profitable margin in between the old pre tariff price point and the new post tarrif price point.

How do you measure a companies P&L. Atm you’ve focused on turnover. And turnover in just one part of the overall company.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"Ah, I see.

OKSee there you go again where have i said that its like banging my head on a brick wall talking to you."

TBH that's what I thought you were saying. If you're not saying that they need are £s more than we need their €s then what are you saying?

Essex

British MPs.

British MPs. Conservative MPs. Not the EU.Yes i understand all that all they have to do now is sort the backstop out the uk cannot be held to something for eternity without a way out they know that to.What it needs is a fresh outlook on it, new faces just like when merkel sorted out the immigration problem with turkey by going behind tusks back.Barnier has already said he has brexit fatigue get some new faces in and some new ideas and im sure it can be sorted to everyones interest.

Our government negotiated a deal with the EU. A deal that May brought back triumphantly. It's our government that cannot get it ratified. What that tells me is that we have an inept shower who agree a set of proposals yet have no ability to see through the outcome...shameful that we are all being held to ransom by a bunch of ERG shysters.There is a consensus in parliment to get a deal if the backstop can be tweeked so that there is a way out. The government could never get it through on its own it doesnt have the numbers and to just blame the erg is not right either we have mps on both sides who dont want to leave they are a cause too."

Why did our government come up with the backstop suggestion if it knew that it's rabid ERG brexiteers and the odious DUP wouldnt go for it?

Essex

"I personally think that the eu wants to delay for a different negotiator but hope we cancel leaving

Or Maybe I’m too cynical There could be a lot in what your saying.I definitely feel they would like a different negotiator,and yes they would like us to stay in I am sure,they need us.We will be ok without them though"

Is that because we will all get a free unicorn and two years supply of fairy dust?

Bristol East

What Goes On in Those Brexit Talks in Brussels? ‘Nothing,’ Document Says

- New York Times

Leaked note of meetings with Mrs May show there is nothing of any substance.

"The document obtained by The Times concludes that Ms. May’s visit was essentially a stalling tactic.

“The visit was just to win time, because content-wise it was nothing.”

Guy Verhoftstadt on Facebook:

"If the UK Parliament rejects her deal, Theresa May would like to extend the negotiating period. In my firm opinion, if this happens, this can never be longer than a couple of months so that a cross-party majority can be found.

"But certainly not 21 months! The Union has been taken hostage by the Brexit already for too long. The UK has had almost two years to make up its mind, now it is time to decide: A deal, no deal or stay. For the Union it is high time that we can spend our energy on more positive projects and the in depth reforms Europe desperately needs."

I honestly think the EU should just boot us up the arse and out of the bloc.

near ipswich

British MPs.

Our government negotiated a deal with the EU. A deal that May brought back triumphantly. It's our government that cannot get it ratified. What that tells me is that we have an inept shower who agree a set of proposals yet have no ability to see through the outcome...shameful that we are all being held to ransom by a bunch of ERG shysters.There is a consensus in parliment to get a deal if the backstop can be tweeked so that there is a way out. The government could never get it through on its own it doesnt have the numbers and to just blame the erg is not right either we have mps on both sides who dont want to leave they are a cause too.

Why did our government come up with the backstop suggestion if it knew that it's rabid ERG brexiteers and the odious DUP wouldnt go for it?"

I think you will find the eu proposed the backstop and the uk agreed in principle to it but rejected it in legal text.I cant find anywhere where it says the uk proposed this apart from some remainers on here.But happy to be proved wrong if someone can send me a link.

near ipswich

"I honestly think the EU should just boot us up the arse and out of the bloc. "
Perfect me too solve all the problems.

Bristol East

"I cant find anywhere where it says the uk proposed this apart from some remainers on here.But happy to be proved wrong if someone can send me a link."

The backstop first appeared in the phase one agreement under David Davies.

He has happy to sign up to it, but I cannot recall whose idea it was.

The problem started when he did a TV interview and said it was simply a gentleman's agreement, with no legal basis.

That set the alarm bells ringing in Dublin who insisted on a watertight backstop.

near ipswich

"I cant find anywhere where it says the uk proposed this apart from some remainers on here.But happy to be proved wrong if someone can send me a link.

The backstop first appeared in the phase one agreement under David Davies.

He has happy to sign up to it, but I cannot recall whose idea it was.

The problem started when he did a TV interview and said it was simply a gentleman's agreement, with no legal basis.

That set the alarm bells ringing in Dublin who insisted on a watertight backstop."

exactly .

Bristol East

"I honestly think the EU should just boot us up the arse and out of the bloc. Perfect me too solve all the problems."

Well, Macron and the Spanish PM are making clear today they are fed up with Brexit.

No extension to Article 50 unless it has a clearly set objective.

“We would support an extension request only if it was justified by a new choice of the British,” Macron told reporters.

An extension to Article 50 needs unanimous approval of the EU27.

near ipswich

"I honestly think the EU should just boot us up the arse and out of the bloc. Perfect me too solve all the problems.

Well, Macron and the Spanish PM are making clear today they are fed up with Brexit.

No extension to Article 50 unless it has a clearly set objective.

“We would support an extension request only if it was justified by a new choice of the British,” Macron told reporters.

An extension to Article 50 needs unanimous approval of the EU27.

"

Thats good news then should concentrate some minds,another less choice bet the remainers wont be happy with that.

"I honestly think the EU should just boot us up the arse and out of the bloc. Perfect me too solve all the problems."

It would indeed

Bristol East

"

Thats good news then should concentrate some minds,another less choice bet the remainers wont be happy with that."

I think they are saying what most people in Britain are thinking - stop pissing around and sort this out.

near ipswich

"

Thats good news then should concentrate some minds,another less choice bet the remainers wont be happy with that.

I think they are saying what most people in Britain are thinking - stop pissing around and sort this out.

"

Exactly sarah and personally i think it would have been sorted ages ago if the mps who want to stop it just excepted the fact that we are leaving and stopped trying to get a second referendum.

West London

"

Exactly sarah and personally i think it would have been sorted ages ago if the mps who want to stop it just excepted the fact that we are leaving and stopped trying to get a second referendum."

Actually, this process has been most delayed by the ERG and DUP.

You seem to have an extremely selective memory.

Bristol East

"

Exactly sarah and personally i think it would have been sorted ages ago if the mps who want to stop it just excepted the fact that we are leaving and stopped trying to get a second referendum."

The leader of the Conservative Party, the Prime Minister, brings an exit plan to the House of Commons.

She cannot get it through because her own Conservative MPs and her DUP partners refuse to support her.

near ipswich

"

Exactly sarah and personally i think it would have been sorted ages ago if the mps who want to stop it just excepted the fact that we are leaving and stopped trying to get a second referendum.

The leader of the Conservative Party, the Prime Minister, brings an exit plan to the House of Commons.

She cannot get it through because her own Conservative MPs and her DUP partners refuse to support her.

"

Totally agree but its remain mp,s who are causing the problems from all parties.If the remain excepted we were leaving and voted for a deal the dup and erg votes would not matter.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"

Totally agree but its remain mp,s who are causing the problems from all parties.If the remain excepted we were leaving and voted for a deal the dup and erg votes would not matter."

Or, it is just a fundamentaly flawed concept that as each day goes by seems even more absurd. Lets just rescind Article 50 and have a rethink about what we actually want?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"

Totally agree but its remain mp,s who are causing the problems from all parties.If the remain excepted we were leaving and voted for a deal the dup and erg votes would not matter."

How is that? Her own Brextremist MP’s and the DUP voted down the only exit plan to have been presented.

Bristol East

"

May is Prime Minister because she commands a majority in the House of Commons.

Her MPs form the executive.

The job of the Opposition is to oppose and hold the executive to account.

She cannot get the exit plan through because her own MPs refuse to support her.

Brexit was made in the Conservative Party and it is the party that still cannot decide what it wants.

West London

"

"A deal"?

They should vote for any deal placed in front of them to "get it done"?

They shouldn't question it? If the deal required that we pay an extra £50bn should they vote for it?

If we remain on the Single market with no tariffs but pay to be a member and don't set any rules should they vote for it?

We would have "left the EU"

near ipswich

"

Totally agree but its remain mp,s who are causing the problems from all parties.If the remain excepted we were leaving and voted for a deal the dup and erg votes would not matter.

"A deal"?

They shouldn't question it? If the deal required that we pay an extra £50bn should they vote for it?

If we remain on the Single market with no tariffs but pay to be a member and don't set any rules should they vote for it?

We would have "left the EU" "

Who said they shouldnt question it? if all those mps who want to stay had done what the people voted for they could have spent more time discussing what they wanted from the deal instead all we heard was what they didnt want which was to leave.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Listening to Parliament , it was mentioned that leading brexitiers ( those who want to leave ) include Dyson who is taking his firm abroad ,, JacobReesMogg who has taken 2 of his investment firms to the EU ( Eire) ,, JohnRedwood who has advised investors to invest abroad ,,, NigelLawson who has applied for FrenchResidency and NigelFarage who has German passports for his children ,,,,, so when they say leave means leave ,,, they mean leave

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Listening to Parliament , it was mentioned that leading brexitiers ( those who want to leave ) include Dyson who is taking his firm abroad ,, JacobReesMogg who has taken 2 of his investment firms to the EU ( Eire) ,, JohnRedwood who has advised investors to invest abroad ,,, NigelLawson who has applied for FrenchResidency and NigelFarage who has German passports for his children ,,,,, so when they say leave means leave ,,, they mean leave"

I could live with them all leaving if we get to stay!

West London

"

"A deal"?

We would have "left the EU" Who said they shouldnt question it? if all those mps who want to stay had done what the people voted for they could have spent more time discussing what they wanted from the deal instead all we heard was what they didnt want which was to leave."

What have remain supporting MPs done to stop Brexit that the ERG or DUP have not?

Bristol East

Brexit means Brexit.

That was the mantra the Conservative Party was elected on.

They wanted the job of delivering it.

Except they don't know what it means.

» Add a new message to this topic