Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Farmers are set to lose out massively after brexit

Farmers voted mostly to leave

Guess they are getting what they voted for

Hahaha #winning

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They'll get the chance to change their vote in the second referendum now they know they will be coating their own throats by voting leave.,

Everyone should get the chance to change their mind and amend their mistakes in life..

"Farmers are set to lose out massively after brexit

Hahaha #winning "

I’ve been struggling to find out if farmers voted leave (eg the owners) or just farming communities (eg farm hands).

Any info ?

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"They'll get the chance to change their vote in the second referendum now they know they will be coating their own throats by voting leave.,

Everyone should get the chance to change their mind and amend their mistakes in life.. "

There won't be a 2nd referendum Bob, there is no majority in Parliament for it. The Tories don't want one, the DUP don't want one, and upto 50 Labour MP's representing Leave voting constituencies don't want one. That gives a healthy majority in Parliament against a 2nd referendum.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

A) We've already had this thread.

B) No they didn't, they know from whence their subsidies come

And

C) Why is our national ability to produce food being compromised a good thing worth gloating about?

"A) We've already had this thread.

And

C) Why is our national ability to produce food being compromised a good thing worth gloating about?

"

Because all I heard was "you lost get over it"

Now farmers are facing certain ruin I can't help but think "you won get over it"

Same as the car workers who voted leave. It's what they wanted,it must be as it was known pre vote the effects on leaving

And

"

In the farmers weekly over half voted leave.

Get orf my land

And

Because all I heard was "you lost get over it"

Now farmers are facing certain ruin I can't help but think "you won get over it"

Same as the car workers who voted leave. It's what they wanted,it must be as it was known pre vote the effects on leaving

"

We all knew what the effects of leaving. So what's happening should be no surprise.

As you can see, leavers either blame something else, or just completely deny it.

Newbury

And

Get orf my land "

I don't know any who voted leave.

But then, I'm only a farmer, what would I know?

And

"

Why ... because It's a consequence of brexit .We are now being urged by Washington to adopt US farming practices ,if we want a great trade deal..

I'm glad I've given up meat.

Newbury

And

Why ... because It's a consequence of brexit .We are now being urged by Washington to adopt US farming practices ,if we want a great trade deal..

I'm glad I've given up meat. "

Which I'm sure we won't do.

Nobody is suggesting that post BREXIT, we won't trade with the EU, so we'll have to grow food accordingly.

I imagine livestock farmers will be the first to moan if we start importing meat that doesn't meet welfare standards. America doesn't have any welfare regs, as far as I know.

And

Get orf my land

But then, I'm only a farmer, what would I know?"

53 percent according to farmers weekly

Apparently that is enough of a majority to change the future.

You would have thought farmers would be 100 percent to remain

And

I'm glad I've given up meat.

Which I'm sure we won't do.

Nobody is suggesting that post BREXIT, we won't trade with the EU, so we'll have to grow food accordingly.

I imagine livestock farmers will be the first to moan if we start importing meat that doesn't meet welfare standards. America doesn't have any welfare regs, as far as I know."

The pressure to get a good trade deal with the US may well force us to accept American farming standards.The president of the NFU Ms batters has said so.

In addition the desire to move away from the EU and towards the US is strong amongst brexiters..

Newbury

And

Get orf my land

53 percent according to farmers weekly

Apparently that is enough of a majority to change the future.

You would have thought farmers would be 100 percent to remain "

Well yes, especially given all the free money....

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"They'll get the chance to change their vote in the second referendum now they know they will be coating their own throats by voting leave.,

Everyone should get the chance to change their mind and amend their mistakes in life.. "

and you’d of said that if remain had won bob wouldn’t you lol

Everyone should get the chance to change their mind and amend their mistakes in life.. and you’d of said that if remain had won bob wouldn’t you lol"

I doubt it because in that case the farmers who voted to leave would have saved from their own goal by the remain result.

By *laytimenowMan  over a year ago

Essex

Brexit is Dead as A DODO

Parliament will not allow the UK

to leave .

Its Hard Remain or

Tressamaes Soft remain .

Ok.. listen up.. since 1975 to now there are half the farmers that were.. half farm workers that were. Production is the same in terms of meat, milk and cropping. Framing gdp was in 75 worth 40 billion. Today its 20 billion. Retailers destroyed the industry. Dont worry about global warming. It wont affect you. You will have starved already.

[Removed by poster at 02/03/19 22:30:42]

Do British farming practices belong in the "museum of agriculture " as our American friends seem to think ???

By *lgarsMan  over a year ago

Aberdeen

And

Get orf my land "

On the point of the subsidies, (1) the subsidies they receive from the EU is money that is sent from the British Taxpayer to Brussels and rerouted back to the k so i think it is fair to say that it is not EU money in the first place but UK taxpayers money, (2) As far as receiving their subsidies they can now get them directly from the Uk Govt.

By *laytimenowMan  over a year ago

Essex

"Do British farming practices belong in the "museum of agriculture " as our American friends seem to think ???"

Our American Friends in General

Are Obesely Fat C*NTS .

Why the F*ck would anyone listen to them about Food ?

"Do British farming practices belong in the "museum of agriculture " as our American friends seem to think ???

Are Obesely Fat C*NTS .

"

Anyone interested in this should read "fast food nation" by Eric Schlosser. You would not be excited at the prospect of buying American produced meat.

"Do British farming practices belong in the "museum of agriculture " as our American friends seem to think ???

Are Obesely Fat C*NTS .

"

Like the Prime Minister of Russia stated regarding the prospect of importing ‘food’ from the US - “if they want to eat that, then let them eat it”

He of course missed out the word ‘shit’ -but it’s implied.

Cannock

And

Get orf my land

On the point of the subsidies, (1) the subsidies they receive from the EU is money that is sent from the British Taxpayer to Brussels and rerouted back to the uk so i think it is fair to say that it is not EU money in the first place but UK taxpayers money, (2) As far as receiving their subsidies they can now get them directly from the Uk Govt."

Exactly, and I think the UK government has already pledged to continue paying UK farmers subsidies for at least 2 years after Brexit.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

And

Get orf my land

On the point of the subsidies, (1) the subsidies they receive from the EU is money that is sent from the British Taxpayer to Brussels and rerouted back to the uk so i think it is fair to say that it is not EU money in the first place but UK taxpayers money, (2) As far as receiving their subsidies they can now get them directly from the Uk Govt.

Exactly, and I think the UK government has already pledged to continue paying UK farmers subsidies for at least 2 years after Brexit. "

Didn’t we just give all the money to the NHS, so we can’t afford to support Farmers now? Does this mean it actually costs us more to leave the EU?

And

Get orf my land "

52% of those polled by the NFU said they voted Remain.

By *linkyMalinkyWoman  over a year ago

South Somerset

My dad is a farmer and voted leave. So did all his farmer friends. He’s not particularly bright. Looks like that is going to come and bite him on the arse soon.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

And

Get orf my land

But then, I'm only a farmer, what would I know?"

Can I make a suggestion jimi....

Tell the hardline leavers here what impact it may have on you... and see if there reply doesn’t contain the words project fear...

It’s your life and your livelihood up on the block... see if they can find a shred of empathy for you in their replies

"My dad is a farmer and voted leave. So did all his farmer friends. He’s not particularly bright. Looks like that is going to come and bite him on the arse soon. "

I think it depends on what you farm as to which way you voted.I know a cattle farming family who voted leave because they believe they will get more money at market after brexit.

Greed unfortunately is the ruin of many.

Cannock

And

Get orf my land

Tell the hardline leavers here what impact it may have on you... and see if there reply doesn’t contain the words project fear...

It’s your life and your livelihood up on the block... see if they can find a shred of empathy for you in their replies "

Jimi wants to Leave the EU Fabio.

Newbury

And

Get orf my land

It’s your life and your livelihood up on the block... see if they can find a shred of empathy for you in their replies "

It's hypothetical, Fabio.

It hasn't happened yet, so I have no idea.

I rent in such a way that I don't/can't claim subsidy, so my business has to actually be profitable.

Were export tarriffs to be placed on lamb, that would be devastating to the UK sheep industry. Again, I only rent and have no infrastructure, so I'd sell up. It would probably affect other sectors less, because we import (Pig/Poultry).

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

It’s your life and your livelihood up on the block... see if they can find a shred of empathy for you in their replies

I rent in such a way that I don't/can't claim subsidy, so my business has to actually be profitable.

Were export tarriffs to be placed on lamb, that would be devastating to the UK sheep industry. Again, I only rent and have no infrastructure, so I'd sell up. It would probably affect other sectors less, because we import (Pig/Poultry). "

I am genuinely interested in having this conversation.... just because under WTO rules we will have no control on what others will set export tariffs (i assume for lamb because that is the most public...somewhere between 30 and 40%?)

any idea on the potential tarriffs coming in on pigs/poultry? honestly thats a genuine question.

but the fact that you and others are even thinking about possibly selling up for me is heartbreaking.... because overall it gives us less power and makes us more dependent from outside....

I’m confused Jimi. Your say you don’t know any farmers who voted leave, are a farmer, and yet you voted leave (I think). What have I missed ?

Newbury

"I’m confused Jimi. Your say you don’t know any farmers who voted leave, are a farmer, and yet you voted leave (I think). What have I missed ?"

I voted remain.

I have since changed my position and would vote leave in any future referenda. I feel that the EU is dangerously unaccountable and I place those concerns higher than things that only affect my pocket.

Newbury

"

Were export tarriffs to be placed on lamb, that would be devastating to the UK sheep industry. Again, I only rent and have no infrastructure, so I'd sell up. It would probably affect other sectors less, because we import (Pig/Poultry).

I am genuinely interested in having this conversation.... just because under WTO rules we will have no control on what others will set export tariffs (i assume for lamb because that is the most public...somewhere between 30 and 40%?)

any idea on the potential tarriffs coming in on pigs/poultry? honestly thats a genuine question.

but the fact that you and others are even thinking about possibly selling up for me is heartbreaking.... because overall it gives us less power and makes us more dependent from outside...."

It's because we are a net exporter of lamb. British lamb fetches a premium in Europe, especially France, and they like the smaller carcasses that we won't buy (e.g. from mountain breeds, which are smaller). This demand keeps the domestic market buoyant.

We are a net importer of pork/Poultry, so tarriffs would favour domestic producers.

I'm not sure of the beef situation. Beef enterprises vary wildly in terms of profitability.

"I’m confused Jimi. Your say you don’t know any farmers who voted leave, are a farmer, and yet you voted leave (I think). What have I missed ?

I voted remain.

I have since changed my position and would vote leave in any future referenda. I feel that the EU is dangerously unaccountable and I place those concerns higher than things that only affect my pocket."

The EU is by no means perfect, but it’s pragmatism that should keep us a member. The world has changed since the 70s quite considerably. How could we as a single nation alone, ever come out with as beneficial trade agreements as when we had the weight of the largest trading bloc in the world behind us? It is a basic rule that the larger economy always gets the better deal over the smaller. We had that. We’re giving it away. And now the US (and others) will be able to benefit at our loss.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Hahaha #winning "

This is not a game of football but as allways a remoaner being childish

Hahaha #winning This is not a game of football but as allways a remoaner being childish"

Accusing someone of being childish while using childish insult. Classic.

Cannock

"I’m confused Jimi. Your say you don’t know any farmers who voted leave, are a farmer, and yet you voted leave (I think). What have I missed ?

I voted remain.

I have since changed my position and would vote leave in any future referenda. I feel that the EU is dangerously unaccountable and I place those concerns higher than things that only affect my pocket.

The EU is by no means perfect, but it’s pragmatism that should keep us a member. The world has changed since the 70s quite considerably. How could we as a single nation alone, ever come out with as beneficial trade agreements as when we had the weight of the largest trading bloc in the world behind us? It is a basic rule that the larger economy always gets the better deal over the smaller. We had that. We’re giving it away. And now the US (and others) will be able to benefit at our loss. "

We're the 5th largest economy in the world so using your logic only 4 countries in the world will be able to get the upper hand over us in any trade talks. All the rest of the countries in the world with smaller economies than ours, we will get the upper hand over in trade deals.

As for your claim about the EU being the bigger block yielding more weight behind it its really not that simple, as any EU trade deal is a compromise between the 27 member states of the EU. A one size fits all approach is not always best. As a free and independent nation the UK can tailor it's own trade deals specific to the niche needs of the UK economy, you wouldn't get a targeted approach like that as a member of the EU.

I voted remain.

The EU is by no means perfect, but it’s pragmatism that should keep us a member. The world has changed since the 70s quite considerably. How could we as a single nation alone, ever come out with as beneficial trade agreements as when we had the weight of the largest trading bloc in the world behind us? It is a basic rule that the larger economy always gets the better deal over the smaller. We had that. We’re giving it away. And now the US (and others) will be able to benefit at our loss.

We're the 5th largest economy in the world so using your logic only 4 countries in the world will be able to get the upper hand over us in any trade talks. All the rest of the countries in the world with smaller economies than ours, we will get the upper hand over in trade deals.

As for your claim about the EU being the bigger block yielding more weight behind it its really not that simple, as any EU trade deal is a compromise between the 27 member states of the EU. A one size fits all approach is not always best. As a free and independent nation the UK can tailor it's own trade deals specific to the niche needs of the UK economy, you wouldn't get a targeted approach like that as a member of the EU. "

Yes, 5th largest economy in the world. Before we joined we were 20th.

‘Only’ four - but they hold much of the world’s money so they’re kind of important.

Being in the EU has enabled us to refuse goods from the US that we know are hazardous to health and the environment. This would not be possible if we didn’t have that strength of union. Other nation’s governments just roll over to them. The Helms-Burton Act was a trade embargo the US placed on Cuba. It meant the US would punish any nation who traded with Cuba by not allowing trade with the US and barring their companies from locating themselves within the US. This was no wrap on the wrists and it should convey how the world’s largest economy can dictate terms to others, even other powerful economies.

My fears about the US are substantiated. If we leave with no deal we really are at their mercy.

No deal also means we are no longer members of the single market - which means that we do not have to adhere to the EU’s corporate anti tax avoidance directive that came in on January 1st. Those US entities in Britain now - and the ones to come, will be treating Britain as a tax haven. One of the motivations for them to have interfered in our democratic process as they have been proven to have done.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

I voted remain.

As for your claim about the EU being the bigger block yielding more weight behind it its really not that simple, as any EU trade deal is a compromise between the 27 member states of the EU. A one size fits all approach is not always best. As a free and independent nation the UK can tailor it's own trade deals specific to the niche needs of the UK economy, you wouldn't get a targeted approach like that as a member of the EU. "

If you say so Centaur.

What targets? What niche needs? What do we have that other people want other than our smaller market?

All you are actually saying is that we can make more concessions more quickly than being in the EU.

You've identified no strength from being alone and smaller.

Why hasn't every EU trade partner rolled over its FTAs to the UK for Day 1 after Brexit?

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Hell..they might only get a new range rover every three years instead of two ...shame real world looms

I voted remain.

The upper hand only really comes if you have significant scale above the other. But even just looking at size, it’s India, Brazil and Canada in the top ten as France and Italy fall under the EU.

I voted remain.

As for your claim about the EU being the bigger block yielding more weight behind it its really not that simple, as any EU trade deal is a compromise between the 27 member states of the EU. A one size fits all approach is not always best. As a free and independent nation the UK can tailor it's own trade deals specific to the niche needs of the UK economy, you wouldn't get a targeted approach like that as a member of the EU.

If you say so Centaur.

What targets? What niche needs? What do we have that other people want other than our smaller market?

All you are actually saying is that we can make more concessions more quickly than being in the EU.

Why hasn't every EU trade partner rolled over its FTAs to the UK for Day 1 after Brexit?"

He won't answer that!

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

Why hasn't every EU trade partner rolled over its FTAs to the UK for Day 1 after Brexit?

He won't answer that! "

Looks like it doesn’t it. I don’t think he can.

Cannock

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

Why hasn't every EU trade partner rolled over its FTAs to the UK for Day 1 after Brexit?"

I did identify strength from being alone and smaller as stated we can target our future trade deals towards the specific requirements of the UK economy. You'd never get that with a one size fits all approach EU type trade deal. The UK economy is mostly around financial services so that is our niche area which we could more heavily target our own trade deals towards.

As for EU trade partner's rolling over their existing trade deals the UK government is currently in the process of doing that and a number have been rolled over already. More will be rolled over before we leave the EU and any remaining ones will be completed shortly after Brexit.

Cannock

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

He won't answer that! "

Looks like you just got proved wrong....again.

Cannock

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

He won't answer that!

Looks like it doesn’t it. I don’t think he can. "

Looks like you just got proved wrong as well.

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

He won't answer that!

Looks like it doesn’t it. I don’t think he can.

Looks like you just got proved wrong as well. "

Should have had you as Brexit Secretary with your great insight. Would have been all done and dusted by dinner time eh.

Bish bash bosh... job’s a goodun

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

I did identify strength from being alone and smaller as stated we can target our future trade deals towards the specific requirements of the UK economy. You'd never get that with a one size fits all approach EU type trade deal. The UK economy is mostly around financial services so that is our niche area which we could more heavily target our own trade deals towards.

As for EU trade partner's rolling over their existing trade deals the UK government is currently in the process of doing that and a number have been rolled over already. More will be rolled over before we leave the EU and any remaining ones will be completed shortly after Brexit. "

How many trade deals have been rolled over so far and with whom? Are any of them with the major countries that we already have FTAs with via the EU at the moment?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Apparently we're good to go with the Faroes, that's worth 16 million a year. Also Switzerland, Zimbabwe and Chile. Oh yes there's another 6 million or so to the Seychelles. We're reeling in all the big boys

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Apparently we're good to go with the Faroes, that's worth 16 million a year. Also Switzerland, Zimbabwe and Chile. Oh yes there's another 6 million or so to the Seychelles. We're reeling in all the big boys "

Shush now...

Remember after we leave there are only 27 countries left in the EU, we have the 130 odd to sell our financial services too.

(Wonder how much risk the insurance insurance actuaries will calculate on life insurance in Somalia and how we will sell into Mogadishu?)... LoL

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

As for EU trade partner's rolling over their existing trade deals the UK government is currently in the process of doing that and a number have been rolled over already. More will be rolled over before we leave the EU and any remaining ones will be completed shortly after Brexit. "

Still struggling with reading hey?

The only "strength" that you identified is an ability to make more concessions faster.

What's to negotiate Centaur?

What are any countries waiting for? They could all say yes they will roll over their trade deals immediately. They could have said so two years ago.

Why haven't they?

Even Switzerland only agreed a five year extension.

Old numbers, but the vast majority of FS exports are to the EU and the US. Everything else is small fry. So if FS is where we are losing with existing EU trade arrangements (isn’t brexiteers model Canada goods only? Article 24 certainly is..) then we’re cutting off our nose here.

Btw brexiteer economist Steve Keen isn t a fan of building an economy around services anyway.

I voted remain.

If you say so Centaur.

He won't answer that!

Looks like you just got proved wrong....again. "

No proved right, you have not answered the question put

" Why hasn't every EU trade partner rolled over its FTAs to the UK for Day 1 after Brexit?"

You have not Answered that question but merely responded to my post without any attempt to answer the question!

So come on answer please? After all we are not asking for better terms, just the same terms that exist now!

Perhaps your waiting for Liam Fox to help you out?

#ticktock

Still waiting for the answer to the question centaur - you have been prolific on other threads but still no answer on this thread # ticktock

"Still waiting for the answer to the question centaur - you have been prolific on other threads but still no answer on this thread # ticktock"

He clearly doesn’t know.

By *linkyMalinkyWoman  over a year ago

South Somerset

"My dad is a farmer and voted leave. So did all his farmer friends. He’s not particularly bright. Looks like that is going to come and bite him on the arse soon.

I think it depends on what you farm as to which way you voted.I know a cattle farming family who voted leave because they believe they will get more money at market after brexit.

Greed unfortunately is the ruin of many.

"

He’s an arable farmer. Lived very comfortably off EU subsidies for many years. Like I said, not very bright.

» Add a new message to this topic