FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit - what could we have spent the money on instead?

Brexit - what could we have spent the money on instead?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

We seem to have spent a huge amount of money on Brexit so far, money that belonged to the British people, money that could have bought all sorts of other things.

I'll start you with eliminating the need for food banks. If the 2 billion that was used as a bribe to the DUP to buy 11 MPs for the tory party had instead been just given out to all those truly in need, all the food banks would have been made unnecessary.

So tell me what benefits you think could have been given to the British people using the money that has instead gone to Brexit just to keep the tory party in power for another couple of years.

Also, see my other thread "Brexit - how much has it cost so far?" to get some figures on how much money you have available to spend.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The pensioners and the homeless

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

An issue for the county has been the ongoing austerity measures that the conservatives have had in place since 2010 - these have cut investments into vital services that the country desperately needs, including housing, education, health and others. Shortfalls in local services were complaint factors at the referendum, due to increased population levels, that many blamed on the EU, rather than government. All of these needs require investment and attention but the dire state of the NHS in the 2017/8 winter, for example, exemplified the underinvestment into the NHS that the conservatives forced onto us. Some of that NHS funding could be focused on increases to local capacity. The Bank of England's calculated costs of Brexit would pay for almost 3 million nurses, just as an example! (2.7 million).

Benefits were frozen from 2000, with many benefits being in-work benefits. This enforced poverty conditions onto a greater number of people and so rebalancing things, such that those who were forced to take income cuts, whilst the cost of living soared, should be a priority. Tax credits and Housing benefit could potentially take £25 billion, with a further spend of £4 billion on means tested benefits. That may still be little to improve the standards of living but should make a real difference to many people, at the 'bottom' of society, who are highly vulnerable.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The pensioners and the homeless"
What a very short list lol

Spending it on green energy would have met and exceeded our CO2 emissions targets.

Flushing it down the bog would have been better than spending it on fucking over the country.

"We seem to have spent a huge amount of money on Brexit so far, money that belonged to the British people, money that could have bought all sorts of other things.

I'll start you with eliminating the need for food banks. If the 2 billion that was used as a bribe to the DUP to buy 11 MPs for the tory party had instead been just given out to all those truly in need, all the food banks would have been made unnecessary.

So tell me what benefits you think could have been given to the British people using the money that has instead gone to Brexit just to keep the tory party in power for another couple of years.

Also, see my other thread "Brexit - how much has it cost so far?" to get some figures on how much money you have available to spend."

Chris Grayling's could produce more fuck ups!

"We seem to have spent a huge amount of money on Brexit so far, money that belonged to the British people, money that could have bought all sorts of other things.

Also, see my other thread "Brexit - how much has it cost so far?" to get some figures on how much money you have available to spend."

Pay lorraine kelly's tax bill

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

a week in shagaluf for everyone

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Going on latest estimates of the losses to the UK since the referendum, it has cost something like £1000 for every man, woman and child. The good news is that assuming the most advantageous possible economic outcome of brexit, losses will only continue at that rate for another 50 years or so, then the country might start to see some benefit. Unfortunately only people under 30 years old now, who live to be over 80, will be around to see the start of the recovery. All the rest of us will be thousands of pounds a year worse off for the rest of our lives.

It's what they voted for

"Going on latest estimates of the losses to the UK since the referendum, it has cost something like £1000 for every man, woman and child. The good news is that assuming the most advantageous possible economic outcome of brexit, losses will only continue at that rate for another 50 years or so, then the country might start to see some benefit. Unfortunately only people under 30 years old now, who live to be over 80, will be around to see the start of the recovery. All the rest of us will be thousands of pounds a year worse off for the rest of our lives."

I won't contest your financial claims as I'm unaware of your sources.

My comment is more to concerned with the irony of financial argument and debates with Brexit. Do not get me wrong, regardless of ones side, the financial aspects are of huge importance.

The irony is this. The Eu was born with the primary objective of overseeing all member state sovereignty relinquished to a non elected senior body of legislators. Which in effect is what we have.

Now Jean Monet et al realised no people would willingly just cede sovereignty .

So the idea was to ease the transition in with a first phase utilising trade ,the common .market . and in essence, a good idea too.

Now the underlying theme driving leavers , be it immigration, fishing or in fact trade,is one of sovereignty , or control .

Yet the very thing most who wish to remain argue on is the financial aspect.

It is highly pertinent yet misses the real point , its relinquishing more control not just regaining what has gone.

Financially , it will cost us a great deal more when the bloc implodes. I'm sad to say its highly probable.

If the Eu can manage to get to grips with Target 2 debts, especially in Spain and Italy. Then they may have a chance of recovery.

Let's hope we are never forced into accepting the euro.

Also, see my other thread "Brexit - how much has it cost so far?" to get some figures on how much money you have available to spend.

Chris Grayling's could produce more fuck ups! "

Don't take the piss out of Grayling, he uses my Chinese takeaway

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Going on latest estimates of the losses to the UK since the referendum, it has cost something like £1000 for every man, woman and child. The good news is that assuming the most advantageous possible economic outcome of brexit, losses will only continue at that rate for another 50 years or so, then the country might start to see some benefit. Unfortunately only people under 30 years old now, who live to be over 80, will be around to see the start of the recovery. All the rest of us will be thousands of pounds a year worse off for the rest of our lives."

& we get to be run by fools

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

"Going on latest estimates of the losses to the UK since the referendum, it has cost something like £1000 for every man, woman and child. The good news is that assuming the most advantageous possible economic outcome of brexit, losses will only continue at that rate for another 50 years or so, then the country might start to see some benefit. Unfortunately only people under 30 years old now, who live to be over 80, will be around to see the start of the recovery. All the rest of us will be thousands of pounds a year worse off for the rest of our lives.

& we get to be run by fools "

Could be worse Corbyn and Diane Abbott could be running the country

Then we would be in the shit

"Going on latest estimates of the losses to the UK since the referendum, it has cost something like £1000 for every man, woman and child. The good news is that assuming the most advantageous possible economic outcome of brexit, losses will only continue at that rate for another 50 years or so, then the country might start to see some benefit. Unfortunately only people under 30 years old now, who live to be over 80, will be around to see the start of the recovery. All the rest of us will be thousands of pounds a year worse off for the rest of our lives.

Then we would be in the shit"

How can anyone trust the judgement of a man who had sex with Diane Abbott ?.

Chudleigh

Then we would be in the shit"

I doubt even they would cock it up this badly!

My wig collection.

Honestly, that kind of investment would be fabulous

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

If u add britex cost and aid overseas into the mix it's obscene....when we have so many problems at home

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"If u add britex cost and aid overseas into the mix it's obscene....when we have so many problems at home"

Overseas aid is 0.7% of the government's budget....yup 70p in every £100 of expenditure. Not worth getting worked up about surely?

"If u add britex cost and aid overseas into the mix it's obscene....when we have so many problems at home

Overseas aid is 0.7% of the government's budget....yup 70p in every £100 of expenditure. Not worth getting worked up about surely?"

I wouldn't say they are "getting worked up" about it, more like the £14 billion could be used here for our own people and problems.

Chudleigh

"If u add britex cost and aid overseas into the mix it's obscene....when we have so many problems at home

Overseas aid is 0.7% of the government's budget....yup 70p in every £100 of expenditure. Not worth getting worked up about surely?

I wouldn't say they are "getting worked up" about it, more like the £14 billion could be used here for our own people and problems. "

Total UK PublicSpending in the year to March 2019 - £817.5bn.

Overseas aid spend ~ £14bn 1.7%

EU Membership (net) ~ £13bn 1.5%

Why the hell are we arguing about such a small (relative) amount in overall UK Government expenditure?

Don't think anyone's arguing as such.

Chudleigh

"Don't think anyone's arguing as such. "

People seem to think £250m per week (EU net cost) is material, the Government spends £15.7bn a week. If people actually understood how little the EU actually costs us it would make a difference.

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

"Don't think anyone's arguing as such.

People seem to think £250m per week (EU net cost) is material, the Government spends £15.7bn a week. If people actually understood how little the EU actually costs us it would make a difference."

Don’t honestly think people are interested how much it costs a week they just want out of the eu altogether

and yes I did vote leave and no I’m not uneducated or a racist thug

I had my own reasons for voting leave like you have your reasons for voting remain

Poor and homeless.. BUT; the government is run by tory shitbags, so the poor and homeless wouldn't see the money anyway.

If not spent on brexit, it would go on some other egotistical tory shitbag vanity project, never to where its needed like emergency services or helping the poor.

FFS its the austerity budget of this tory government that has brought all this about! If they hadn’t played to the free trade liberalisation for the past ten years while pressuring everyone to work harder for less money with no job or pension security then perhaps we wouldn’t have been seeing brexit at all. The polarisation of society at all levels due to perceived inequality fed by dishonest journalism and jingoistic politicians led to the protest vote that was Brexit. To be honest I have never felt so much hatred for the complacent and successful minority who set this disaster in motion and I despair of the blind arrogance of their supporters.

» Add a new message to this topic