FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Extension to 22nd May only

Extension to 22nd May only

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iceguy_ls29 OP   Man  over a year ago

ilkley

So, the EU have said they’ll agree to an extension , but only until the 22nd May

And only if TM’s deal goes through

.. which it probably won’t

.. so crash out or revoke A50

.. the country’s running out of options isn’t it ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"So, the EU have said they’ll agree to an extension , but only until the 22nd May

.. the country’s running out of options isn’t it ?"

That was in response to May's request for a short extension.

A long extension with a general elecrionand/or referendum is still available.

This is May's game. Providing false choices and arbitrary time pressure.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Poor Mrs May - survive until May 28 and she's outlasted Gordon Brown as PM.

ilkley

"So, the EU have said they’ll agree to an extension , but only until the 22nd May

This is May's game. Providing false choices and arbitrary time pressure. "

I hope you’re right about the longer extension , but I haven’t seen anything about that I’m afraid

Bristol East

"

I hope you’re right about the longer extension , but I haven’t seen anything about that I’m afraid "

Looks like the Council of Ministers will be the ones taking back control in those circumstances

ilkley

I hope you’re right about the longer extension , but I haven’t seen anything about that I’m afraid "

Actually, I think you are right

Item 3 in their response says ...

. The European Council commits to agreeing, before 29 March 2019, to an extension until 22 May 2019, provided the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons next. Given that the United Kingdom does not intend to hold elections to the European Parliament, no extension is possible beyond that date.

I guess we could agree to take part in the European elections and extend further

.... I’d settle for that right now !

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

.. the country’s running out of options isn’t it ?"

Was it ever going to be any different. This was what we knew would happen since before the referendum.

Bristol East

A bit of me would be quite happy to see Britain fall to pieces from next Friday.

I mean, does anyone think the set-up we have is working.

From the wreckage, something new and better might flourish.

After all, I think we're the only major democracy that hasn't overthrown the establishment in our history and rewritten the rules in the interests of the people rather than the rulers.

"A bit of me would be quite happy to see Britain fall to pieces from next Friday.

After all, I think we're the only major democracy that hasn't overthrown the establishment in our history and rewritten the rules in the interests of the people rather than the rulers.

"

Aight, the problem is, we aren't over throwing the establishment. We're handing them more power.

Bristol East

Seems to me we're handing the power back to the EU lolol

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"A bit of me would be quite happy to see Britain fall to pieces from next Friday.

Aight, the problem is, we aren't over throwing the establishment. We're handing them more power.

"

Totally agree with you. The only way we get anything back is to revoke Article 50 and then change the government

Totally agree with you. The only way we get anything back is to revoke Article 50 and then change the government "

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life.

Bristol East

"We're not going to vote for this deal under any circumstances."

- ERG vice-chair Mark Francois

"

I used to think the same and let the Brexit loons push the bus over the cliff and let them burn the economy to the ground and from the ashes some new politics.

Now I'm not so sure.

Chudleigh

What we needis the Kennedy Bill tobe made law. If this happens No Deal is impossible and revoking Article 50 happens unless an alternative deal is agreed!

The Kennedy Bill has two clauses. But only one counts (the other is a formality and extends the bill across all the nations making up the UK). Clause 1 is simple and effective. Under the heading, “Revocation of notification of intention to withdraw from the European Union”, it states:

(1) Subsection (2) applies if it appears to the prime minister that a withdrawal agreement is unlikely to be ratified by the United Kingdom before exit day.

(2) The prime minister must in that case, before exit day, notify the European Council that the notification given by the United Kingdom under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, of its intention to withdraw from the European Union, is revoked.

Thislooks like a sensible way to avoid catastrophe.

I used to think the same and let the Brexit loons push the bus over the cliff and let them burn the economy to the ground and from the ashes some new politics.

Now I'm not so sure."

It won't work like that, the poorer you are. The worse this will hit you. If you're one of the 0.000001% of the ultra rich aristocracy, you will be richer and more powerful than ever.

West London

I hope you’re right about the longer extension , but I haven’t seen anything about that I’m afraid

. The European Council commits to agreeing, before 29 March 2019, to an extension until 22 May 2019, provided the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons next. Given that the United Kingdom does not intend to hold elections to the European Parliament, no extension is possible beyond that date.

I guess we could agree to take part in the European elections and extend further

.... I’d settle for that right now !"

The EU are responding to the request for a short extension. A long extension remains an option if there is a plan.

I'd say vote for May's deal with ammendment demanding referendum.

Have the referendum at the same time as the European elections. Then MEPs take their seats or it's moot because we're still leaving.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The EU are responding to the request for a short extension. A long extension remains an option if there is a plan.

Have the referendum at the same time as the European elections. Then MEPs take their seats or it's moot because we're still leaving."

what would be the questions on it?

West London

Have the referendum at the same time as the European elections. Then MEPs take their seats or it's moot because we're still leaving.what would be the questions on it?"

May's deal or remain.

Leave has not delivered on any of its promises.

I've posted them on another thread.

No deal was never an option presented.

So we have Brexit means Brexit or Remain.

Whine away

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Have the referendum at the same time as the European elections. Then MEPs take their seats or it's moot because we're still leaving.what would be the questions on it?

May's deal or remain.

Whine away "

im not the one whining never have done thats the remainers domain.

Chudleigh

Have the referendum at the same time as the European elections. Then MEPs take their seats or it's moot because we're still leaving.what would be the questions on it?

May's deal or remain.

Whine away im not the one whining never have done thats the remainers domain. "

Not whining, just expressing our democratic privilege with our other 2m friends

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

27 EU countries once again reach a unanimous agreement , while our brexit secretary votes against his own speech in parliament.

Totally agree with you. The only way we get anything back is to revoke Article 50 and then change the government

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life."

Remind me how well David Cameron got on at getting reforms

Chudleigh

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life.

Remind me how well David Cameron got on at getting reforms"

He was only in it for his cv!

West London

May's deal or remain.

Whine away im not the one whining never have done thats the remainers domain. "

Excellent response.

I assume that means that you agree with the second referendum question

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

"Poor Mrs May - survive until May 28 and she's outlasted Gordon Brown as PM.

"

Lol

"Poor Mrs May - survive until May 28 and she's outlasted Gordon Brown as PM.

Lol "

and he even "saved the world" too

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life."

And what in the EU needs reforming, and to what, and how, and when?

And what action should the UK take if those reforms don't happen?

Where's the reform plan? Remain campaigned on 'remain and reform' without any idea of what needs reforming, and with no plan to do so.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life.

Remind me how well David Cameron got on at getting reforms"

Pretty well, he got most of the last ones he asked for.

He got the opt out of the 'ever closer union he asked for

He got the opt out of the Euro that he asked for

He got half of what he asked for on immigration reform

Was there something you are particularly upset that he didn't manage to get in the reforms he asked for?

-Matt

West London

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life.

Where's the reform plan? Remain campaigned on 'remain and reform' without any idea of what needs reforming, and with no plan to do so."

How and when does the UK education or health care system get, and to what, and how, and when?

Derby

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life.

Where's the reform plan? Remain campaigned on 'remain and reform' without any idea of what needs reforming, and with no plan to do so.

How and when does the UK education or health care system get, and to what, and how, and when?

And what action should the UK take if those reforms don't happen?"

So you can't answer then, because you haven't got a clue.

Derby

100%.

Then reform the EU.

Then get on with life.

Remind me how well David Cameron got on at getting reforms

Pretty well, he got most of the last ones he asked for.

He got the opt out of the 'ever closer union he asked for

He got the opt out of the Euro that he asked for

He got half of what he asked for on immigration reform

Was there something you are particularly upset that he didn't manage to get in the reforms he asked for?

-Matt"

We've had the opt out of the Euro since 1992.

What he wanted;

"EU migrants who want to claim tax credits and child benefit must live here and contribute to our country for a minimum of four years."

Didn't get...."new arrivals will have their tax credits phased in over four years."

Further, he wanted the 'emergency brake' to be in place for 13 years....he got 7.

What he wanted;

"new residency requirement for social housing, so that EU migrants cannot even be considered for a council house unless they have been living in an area for at least four years"

Didn't get.

What he wanted;

"If an EU migrant's child is living abroad, then they should receive no child benefit or child tax credit"

He didn't get.

» Add a new message to this topic