FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > No more democracy in the UK?

No more democracy in the UK?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *corpio67 OP   Man  over a year ago

hillingdon

Apparently there are one million votes on a .gov webpage to cancel article 50 an stay in the EU!

Is that an insult to seventeen million people that actually bothered to make the effort to vote leave?!!!

Now all the remoaners and people that could not be bothered are throwing their toys out of the pram!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Apparently there are one million votes on a .gov webpage to cancel article 50 an stay in the EU!

Is that an insult to seventeen million people that actually bothered to make the effort to vote leave?!!!

Now all the remoaners and people that could not be bothered are throwing their toys out of the pram!!!"

There's something really funny about a guy making a political speech whilst only wearing a pair of underpants.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"Apparently there are one million votes on a .gov webpage to cancel article 50 an stay in the EU!

Now all the remoaners and people that could not be bothered are throwing their toys out of the pram!!!

There's something really funny about a guy making a political speech whilst only wearing a pair of underpants."

I say all politicians should dress that way

It's not a Democracy. We're just led to believe it is.

I'm hoping Social Media is beginning to change things, because we're learning how loud our voice is.

Scary thing is, there seems to be more bad people in the world, than there are good ones.

There's something really funny about a guy making a political speech whilst only wearing a pair of underpants.

I say all politicians should dress that way "

What, even Rees_Mogg?

Mods, ban this lady!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I made the effort to vote remain. I got off my arse walked down the polling station and marked my cross. Pretty sure the leavers didnt make any more of an effort

There's something really funny about a guy making a political speech whilst only wearing a pair of underpants."

P

M

S

L

B38

What, even Rees_Mogg?

Mods, ban this lady!"

I am going to sound thick a shit I don't do politics I'll have to Google him. (Heard the name)

You'll here me kicking and screaming from here as the mods drag me away.

What, even Rees_Mogg?

Mods, ban this lady!"

Boris Johnson I bet he's got body confidence though

By *erby DomCouple  over a year ago

Ashbourne(ish) and Chesterfield(ish)

[Removed by poster at 21/03/19 21:30:42]

hillingdon

Just saying!

Now all the remoaners and people that could not be bothered are throwing their toys out of the pram!!!"

LOL your vote is worth more than anyone else's? If people want to vote it's their right to do so, if that threatens you then you need to think hard about why that is. If their views don't agree with yours, again it is their right to do so. Oh, and calling people names is just childish Captain Underpants.

What, even Rees_Mogg?

Mods, ban this lady!

Boris Johnson I bet he's got body confidence though "

The thought of Boris in tiny whities has me needing some counselling LOL

I voted Remain and yet I think we've seen the true nature of the EU. We voted Leave and so leave we should. What's interesting is that the EU and even the media are portraying the EU as this harmonious bloc...they are anything BUT.

hillingdon

P

M

S

L"

Hey

It was only an observation!

At least it got someone's attention!

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

What, even Rees_Mogg?

Mods, ban this lady!

Boris Johnson I bet he's got body confidence though The thought of Boris in tiny whities has me needing some counselling LOL"

1.55m signatures now

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

yes..

and talking bollocks too..

What, even Rees_Mogg?

Mods, ban this lady!

Boris Johnson I bet he's got body confidence though The thought of Boris in tiny whities has me needing some counselling LOL

"

That's wank material for the OP.

It's one million votes to get parliament to discus withdrawing article 50. Not cancel it

in Lancashire

I voted Remain and yet I think we've seen the true nature of the EU. We voted Leave and so leave we should. What's interesting is that the EU and even the media are portraying the EU as this harmonious bloc...they are anything BUT. "

just think then if your assumption is correct how much more incompetent we could look if they were harmonious..

if such a level of sheer ineptitude, disarray and incompetent buffoonery is possible..

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

There aren't over one million votes. There are over one million signatures on a petition requesting that the government consider discussing revoking article 50. Not quite the same thing

If we head down the road of democracy by social media, whoever controls the social media will have all the power.

Whilst I approve in principle of the gov petition website, all it does is allow petitions that gather sufficient support the opportunity to be debated in parliament. Unless a particular petition is in line with the thinking of the government of the day, a handful of mp's will attend, make a few speeches, decide nothing can be done but "The House has considered and debated " said issue. Life goes on.

A petition to stop Brexit, signed by 1 Million, isn't going to stop Brexit. MP's are busy trying to do that anyway. But to be seen to cancel Article 50 on the say so of 1 million?

Even The PM today insist her deal is the only way to achieve an orderly exit, but we will leave the EU.

B38

Hmmm tiny whites tiny whites ....ok I'm banned from the thread

You should really check out the politics section of the forum - where this thread belongs - as it's currently being discussed there

A decision has been made by referendum yes, does that then strip people of their rights to campaign for anything other?

It seems to me it's leavers throwing their toys because others believe they still have a right to free speech and to campaign while leavers do not.

2,002,343 signatures now

Chudleigh

A decision has been made by referendum yes, does that then strip people of their rights to campaign for anything other?

It seems to me it's leavers throwing their toys because others believe they still have a right to free speech and to campaign while leavers do not. "

Totally agree with you, we need MPs to realise they can have a voice as well!!

I thought most leavers were in favour of ending democracy?

No more voting, just stick with the bullshit we have now. That seems to be the main message.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

The instruction from the EU are:

1/ Accept the deal by the 12 Apr and notify by 22 April.

2/ No-deal by 12th April and notify by 22nd April.

3/ Revoke A50 by the 12th (I think).

4/ Leave all options on the table and have have a longer extension.

Given the first two are null options, I wonder what our MP's will be voting for.

Chudleigh

"The instruction from the EU are:

Given the first two are null options, I wonder what our MP's will be voting for.

"

We just have to keep encouraging them!

"I thought most leavers were in favour of ending democracy?

No more voting, just stick with the bullshit we have now. That seems to be the main message."

Didn't you get the memo? It's only Democracy if the 50+ white guys voted for it, the rest of us don't count and us lot wanting our voice heard is somehow against Democracy.

By *laytimenowMan  over a year ago

Essex

2,232,118 sign petition to remain.

375,654 sign petition to leave .

What were you saying about leavers getting off there arses ?

There to busy organising marches that fail miserably

standing outside parliament calling them nazis

And going down the pub & moaning.

Seems like thingsare returning to normality finally.

Hope its not to late to stay .

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"2,232,118 sign petition to remain.

375,654 sign petition to leave .

What were you saying about leavers getting off there arses ?

There to busy organising marches that fail miserably

standing outside parliament calling them nazis

And going down the pub & moaning.

Seems like thingsare returning to normality finally.

Hope its not to late to stay .

"

Leavers don't need to sign pathetic petitions. 17.4 million of us voted Leave when it mattered on 23rd June 2016.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

I voted Remain and yet I think we've seen the true nature of the EU. We voted Leave and so leave we should. What's interesting is that the EU and even the media are portraying the EU as this harmonious bloc...they are anything BUT. "

Harmonious enough to agree unanimously tonight's extension....May cant even get her cabinet to agree on anything

"

Leavers don't need to sign pathetic petitions."

Then why did you admit you'd signed the pathetic leave with no deal petition

[Removed by poster at 22/03/19 06:31:29]

Leavers don't need to sign pathetic petitions.

Another hypocrisy from the brexiter, how pathetic it is

"

Another hypocrisy from the brexiter, how pathetic it is "

His words betray much more than he wishes.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

MPs will need to debate the option of revoking Article 50, as they should at this stage.

48:52 means that the "won" for leave was very narrow indeed.

Over 16 million people have been completely ignored so ce the referendum.

Are you going to say with great originality "you lost get over it"? How inclusive that would be.

When a general election is lost do the opposition say nothing and "get behind" the government or do they fight for their own view? Is that "moaning"?

West London

The EU have done nothing except not roll-over and give in to the "cake-and-eat-it" fantasy.

That's their "true nature"? How terrible.

Nobody has said that the EU is harmonious, but it comes to unanimous decisions. Making compromises like grown-ups. The group decision has remained consistent after the internal arguments.

What's our true nature based on the last few years?

I do believe we should stay but the vote went the other way so that’s just the way it works unfortunately.

I for one will still be working till I drop like most others because the reality is that most cannot afford to retire.

No amount of petitions will change anything too much so might as well just get on with life and stop stressing about shite you cannot do anything about

Business will find a way through it as it always does and so what if it take a little more effort with visas and stuff for travel after all we are supposed to be trying to save the planet by burning less fossil fuels arn’t we?

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Sooner you learn that democracy does NOT mean majority rule, the better

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Should democracy just stop then at one decision?

Or keep rolling and evolving?

"

Another hypocrisy from the brexiter, how pathetic it is

His words betray much more than he wishes. "

Words can paint a very clear picture

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"The instruction from the EU are:

We just have to keep encouraging them! "

I think the order paper, if there is going to be one, should be reversed so MP's know what their choices are.

They would usually have a vote on the deal. But if they are given the vote of Revocation of A50 and No deal as 1st and 2nd choices. Then Indefinite extension and all options and finally Mays deal, MP's will know if there is sentiment to revoke, have no deal, extend and finally if the deal is better than all previous options.

I expect though that the deal will be voted on first giving MP's the choice of indecision.

Just a question for anyone really...

The country was given a choice between remain or leave.

What would be seen as a compromise that meets the leave aspirations whilst being agreeable to those who wished to remain?

Being half in?

Each thread of this nature always generates a "but what about the 16 million that said remain?"

If we have Brexit In Name Only, it lets down the 17 million who wanted out. If we leave with no deal, it lets down the 16 million who voted remain.

If we hadn't asked the question in the first place, UKIP may have gone from strength to strength.

If we had voted remain by the same ratio, would there have been a counter argument for remaining in the EU but weakening our relationship to be inclusive to the (theoretical) 16 million that voted leave?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Just a question for anyone really...

What would be seen as a compromise that meets the leave aspirations whilst being agreeable to those who wished to remain?

Being half in?

Each thread of this nature always generates a "but what about the 16 million that said remain?"

If we have Brexit In Name Only, it lets down the 17 million who wanted out. If we leave with no deal, it lets down the 16 million who voted remain.

If we hadn't asked the question in the first place, UKIP may have gone from strength to strength.

If we had voted remain by the same ratio, would there have been a counter argument for remaining in the EU but weakening our relationship to be inclusive to the (theoretical) 16 million that voted leave?

"

Well... Nigel Farage famously said... "What is so wrong about being like Norway?"

West London

Being half in?

"

What do you mean by Brexit "in name only"?

Any trade deal will almost certainly mean manufacturing to EU standards just down to them having a larger market, so we surrender any influence.

The same with finance. We will have to play on their terms if we want Euro business.

In any case, any trade deal with any major economy limits what we can negotiate with others. If we accept GM products for the US then no agricultural dwal with the EU for instance.

We already have the weakest relationship possible with the EU.

Any compromise, which would be a single market in economic terms, would be crap compared to what we have now. We would be "free" to renegotiate our EU trade deals with other countries and strike new ones if we really believe that we can do better

We can decouple our environmental and labour laws and taxes too if we believe this increased "flexibility" will deliver real benefits.

The reality is we will end up doing much the same thing as now but it will cost more and deliver less than now.

We are just discussing how much worse off we'll be.

I don't like it. Sets terrible precedent. The thing is I think the deal on offer should be accepted because it is the Brexit that was voted for. However No deal is just a stupid gamble that could go horribly wrong and we lose all credibility and financial control.

Even the leave manifesto says that we should leave with a deal and says so in writing. So if this load of rubbish isn't solved soon, revoke Article 50 and let's try again.

Being half in?

"

I don't think UKIP would of ever got into power in a million years but what they did do was take enough would be Tory voters to frighten Cameron into promising a referendum.

West London

"I don't like it. Sets terrible precedent. The thing is I think the deal on offer should be accepted because it is the Brexit that was voted for. However No deal is just a stupid gamble that could go horribly wrong and we lose all credibility and financial control.

Even the leave manifesto says that we should leave with a deal and says so in writing. So if this load of rubbish isn't solved soon, revoke Article 50 and let's try again."

I don't like the concept of revoking A50 as that really is Parliament overruling a popular vote. Even though is was advisory it was not sold as such.

May's deal is the only credible Brexit option but it is a long way from what was sold in the campaign.

I still think vote for it with a second Accept/Remain referendum is the pragmatic choice.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Being half in?

I don't think UKIP would of ever got into power in a million years but what they did do was take enough would be Tory voters to frighten Cameron into promising a referendum.

"

Im not so sure look at le penn only 2 points behind in france now and look at the rise that happened in the corbyn cult it can happen.

I would like a second referendum but only because I havent got a clue how people who voted leave feel now! There are some transparent and increasingly desperate sounding pro brexiteers on here who will take a pyhrric victory at any cost and are unable to contemplate that democracy can allow a change of viewpoint but that is not who interests me. I am far more interested in people who are able to adapt and evolve to the facts of the situation we are all in ie 3 years down the line, millions of pounds and euros wasted and no realistic idea of what the amswer to the wrong question is. Anyone want to take a bite?

near ipswich

"I would like a second referendum but only because I havent got a clue how people who voted leave feel now! There are some transparent and increasingly desperate sounding pro brexiteers on here who will take a pyhrric victory at any cost and are unable to contemplate that democracy can allow a change of viewpoint but that is not who interests me. I am far more interested in people who are able to adapt and evolve to the facts of the situation we are all in ie 3 years down the line, millions of pounds and euros wasted and no realistic idea of what the amswer to the wrong question is. Anyone want to take a bite?"
well never had that choice in 1975 for those who did not want to join.

Being half in?

Im not so sure look at le penn only 2 points behind in france now and look at the rise that happened in the corbyn cult it can happen."

Comparing Corbyn to Le Penn.

A new low for you there. Demonstrating your level of understand of how the world works.

"I would like a second referendum but only because I havent got a clue how people who voted leave feel now! There are some transparent and increasingly desperate sounding pro brexiteers on here who will take a pyhrric victory at any cost and are unable to contemplate that democracy can allow a change of viewpoint but that is not who interests me. I am far more interested in people who are able to adapt and evolve to the facts of the situation we are all in ie 3 years down the line, millions of pounds and euros wasted and no realistic idea of what the amswer to the wrong question is. Anyone want to take a bite?well never had that choice in 1975 for those who did not want to join."

Not sure that is relevant in any way to our current situation and, as venerable as you are, I dont think you would have been old enough to take part in one anyway

"well never had that choice in 1975 for those who did not want to join."

Again, you didn't even vote this time either you waste of space, so shut your hypocrit mouth.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Theresa May would seem a lot more interesting if she gave a speech in only her knickers

in Lancashire

"well never had that choice in 1975 for those who did not want to join.

Again, you didn't even vote this time either you waste of space, so shut your hypocrit mouth. "

No need for that, its opinions so maybe tone it down a tad..

Being half in?

Im not so sure look at le penn only 2 points behind in france now and look at the rise that happened in the corbyn cult it can happen."

Farage couldn't get elected as an MP even after 7 attempts in different constituencies so that would of been funny, UKIP winning a General Election with Farage as an unelected / none MP Prime Minister

near ipswich

"well never had that choice in 1975 for those who did not want to join.

Again, you didn't even vote this time either you waste of space, so shut your hypocrit mouth. "

You really do seem to have a problem ,this is a forum for political debate if you dont like what i have to say try coming back with a counter argument rather than being a keyboard warrior and saying things you would not get away with to my face.

"You really do seem to have a problem ,this is a forum for political debate if you dont like what i have to say try coming back with a counter argument rather than being a keyboard warrior and saying things you would not get away with to my face."

Coming from the guy bitching about democracy and will of the people despite not even voting? I'd happily tell it to your face

near ipswich

"You really do seem to have a problem ,this is a forum for political debate if you dont like what i have to say try coming back with a counter argument rather than being a keyboard warrior and saying things you would not get away with to my face.

Coming from the guy bitching about democracy and will of the people despite not even voting? I'd happily tell it to your face "

Mate if had made it back in time i would have voted unfortunately it was not possible but still does not disqualify me from having an opinion or debating on here.

Now now, c'mon we can easily debate and even take the piss a little but it spoils the forum when it degenerates into aggression.

Be happy, debate happy

near ipswich

"Now now, c'mon we can easily debate and even take the piss a little but it spoils the forum when it degenerates into aggression.

Be happy, debate happy "

kids ey.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

Well if there is no democracy in the Uk or Europe. As it is under threat.

And we and other eu countries have failed to protect our boarders.

Default on principles, core values, and main aims. is it !!!

Engineered chaos in Europe, by who ?

Or is it just plain and simple that politicians, Governments and the people are only focused on self interest to much.

Cottage pie for tea tonight.

Chudleigh

If we end up with a 2nd referendum, lets make it legally binding. That way people who lie, cheat and try to deceive with fake facts can be imprisoned. Part of my ire is that certain high profile tories and their funders should have been locked up if the last one had been anything other than advisory. That would help our democracy, you take a risk, you get caught, you do 10 years on Rockall!

"You really do seem to have a problem ,this is a forum for political debate if you dont like what i have to say try coming back with a counter argument rather than being a keyboard warrior and saying things you would not get away with to my face.

Coming from the guy bitching about democracy and will of the people despite not even voting? I'd happily tell it to your face "

Walk the line .You'll be fine.

There are many ways to skin a cat especially a xenophobic cat..

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

Democracy - the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Is that an insult to seventeen million people that actually i8bothered to make the effort to vote leave?!!!

Democracy - the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group. "

Democracy - a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, TYPICALLY through elected REPRESENTATIVES.

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

Is that an insult to seventeen million people that actually i8bothered to make the effort to vote leave?!!!

Democracy - the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group.

Democracy - a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, TYPICALLY through elected REPRESENTATIVES.

"

I know there’s loads of different definitions, I don’t think anybody in this country was denied a vote. We’re all different so we’ll all vote differently.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The reality of ongoing changes in the real world mean that minds and goals that are rigid, without due response to a changed environment, results in a fossil that became extinct - it was no longer fit for the new environmental context.

An old referendum, when people were ignorant, compared to a present day informed public, means that the call for Article 50 to be cancelled has high relevance and should be given full consideration and action by government.

By *anny77Man  over a year ago

glasgow

The fact that we live in a free and democratic society means we can actually speak out about things we dislike. Hopefully without the fear of being branded as a remoaner and the like.

The cold hard fact is this decision should never have been in the hands of the people... irrespective of how we voted. We vote people in to do this job.

I live in a free country where I can complain about things I don’t agree with, can sign petitions, and can have (hopefully but not usually) constructive arguments with people who don’t.

I signed the petition. I voted remain. I’d be crazy not to want to fight against something that I think is going to fundamentally damage the country I love and live in. That’s just a fact. And it’s subjective so you can’t change my mind about it... especially with aggression and name calling

"The fact that we live in a free and democratic society means we can actually speak out about things we dislike. Hopefully without the fear of being branded as a remoaner and the like.

The cold hard fact is this decision should never have been in the hands of the people... irrespective of how we voted. We vote people in to do this job.

I live in a free country where I can complain about things I don’t agree with, can sign petitions, and can have (hopefully but not usually) constructive arguments with people who don’t.

I signed the petition. I voted remain. I’d be crazy not to want to fight against something that I think is going to fundamentally damage the country I love and live in. That’s just a fact. And it’s subjective so you can’t change my mind about it... especially with aggression and name calling "

Exactly this! The aggression and name calling on all sides diverts from the truth of the shambolic situation we are all in instead of concentrating our thoughts on what is good for us as a society rather than a nation!

» Add a new message to this topic