FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Labour will back May deal if . . .

Labour will back May deal if . . .

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ara J OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

May puts it to the people in a referendum.

Tom Watson:

"Theresa May's failed Brexit deal doesn’t work for the West Midlands or the country. It doesn’t protect the manufacturing industry and companies like Jaguar Landrover that are so important to this region and our communities.

"But we have to find a way to break this appalling Brexit deadlock. So I want to send Theresa May a message: I will vote for your deal but only if you put it to a public ballot.

"I haven’t come to this view lightly, but I can’t see any other way out of this. I don’t trust the Prime Minister on this. I don’t trust Parliament on this. But I do trust the people of this country to finally resolve this mess."

Is May capable of thinking about any route through this mess of her making other than one that appeases her own extremists?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"May puts it to the people in a referendum.

Tom Watson:

"Theresa May's failed Brexit deal doesn’t work for the West Midlands or the country. It doesn’t protect the manufacturing industry and companies like Jaguar Landrover that are so important to this region and our communities.

"But we have to find a way to break this appalling Brexit deadlock. So I want to send Theresa May a message: I will vote for your deal but only if you put it to a public ballot.

"I haven’t come to this view lightly, but I can’t see any other way out of this. I don’t trust the Prime Minister on this. I don’t trust Parliament on this. But I do trust the people of this country to finally resolve this mess."

Is May capable of thinking about any route through this mess of her making other than one that appeases her own extremists?

"

Good idea......In 2 years time after we've had a chance to find out how genuine the EU is about their committment to resolving the irish border issue.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

The tories have caused their own problem by not promising a referendum on the outcome of the negotiations following the outcome of the 2016 referendum , Prior to the 2016 referendum we should have been promised a vote on the outcome , Before you have a go it me for being a remoaner , it might me be worth pointing out that leading leaver Jacob Rees Mogg said this should happen

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

That's honourable but terrible at the same time.

I wrote to Jeremy, Theresa, the SNP leader and my local MP suggesting this very idea back in November suggesting a 2 year time frame. I wonder if they read it and just maybe, just maybe it sparked "hmmmmmmmmmmm that's a good idea. Lets leave it on the back burner for now". If you look back through earlier threads you will see it as a suggested strategy. Of course they will probably all suggest it was their idea LOL.

"The tories have caused their own problem by not promising a referendum on the outcome of the negotiations following the outcome of the 2016 referendum , Prior to the 2016 referendum we should have been promised a vote on the outcome , Before you have a go it me for being a remoaner , it might me be worth pointing out that leading leaver Jacob Rees Mogg said this should happen "

Don’t worry about being called a “remoaner”. It’s a sure sign that you’ve made a good point and the person disagreeing with you has no counter argument other than to call you names.

Bristol East

May now saying she won't put the deal back to the Commons if the mood among HER MPs doesn't change.

Almost three years of this shambles, and still she cannot do anything other than think along the lines of a one-party state.

Atrocious.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"May now saying she won't put the deal back to the Commons if the mood among HER MPs doesn't change.

Almost three years of this shambles, and still she cannot do anything other than think along the lines of a one-party state.

Atrocious.

"

As i said last night she is going to wait until the last minute to bring it back.She will let them all bring their own agendas forward and as there is no consensus for anything will see them fall one by one then at the last minute its the same choice her deal or no deal.

"May now saying she won't put the deal back to the Commons if the mood among HER MPs doesn't change.

Atrocious.

As i said last night she is going to wait until the last minute to bring it back.She will let them all bring their own agendas forward and as there is no consensus for anything will see them fall one by one then at the last minute its the same choice her deal or no deal."

Sadly, you’re probably right.

yumsville

Atrocious.

As i said last night she is going to wait until the last minute to bring it back.She will let them all bring their own agendas forward and as there is no consensus for anything will see them fall one by one then at the last minute its the same choice her deal or no deal."

If Bercow allows, it is a much better idea to get the sentiment of the house before seeing the vote on the deal.

Revoke, extend indefinite/other arrangement (customs plan), no-deal or agree to the deal.

As current sentiment is against May and not the deal per se, I would expect those MP's who were backing it will vote for the extended arrangement.

I am cringing at who would lead the extended arrangement talks.

near ipswich

The trouble with these indicative votes they are proposing you can skew the outcome by the order you have the votes in.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"The trouble with these indicative votes they are proposing you can skew the outcome by the order you have the votes in."

Let the people choose

Bristol East

"The trouble with these indicative votes they are proposing you can skew the outcome by the order you have the votes in."

Not necessarily.

7 options

6 rounds of voting

De'il tak the hindmost

Bristol East

The least popular drops out every round until . . .

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It increasingly appears as if she's only going to do what she gets forced to do, wants to do or has an hidden agenda for. Whilst she has endlessly succumbed to a minority of extremists, she is an extremist in her own right. She has disposed of her moral duty to pursue what's right for the country, instead only caring for her party and herself.

The people were subject to lies and illegal leave campaign influences and activities. Now that more of the truth is known and the potential realities of the leaving or remaining options seen, the people should be asked for their decision to guide parliament's course. This is in the absence of a leader with a moral compass.

near ipswich

"The least popular drops out every round until . . ."
yes but the least popular that drops out say in the 1st round might be more popular than say the winner in the 4th round but never had a chance to go up against it.It can be rigged by the order of the voting surely thats not to hard to understand?

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

The "trouble" is allowing is in allowing a discussion that might work for the country rather than just the Conservative party or, in fact, one extreme end of it.

Skewed results are a convenient excuse. Multiple votes are possible.

Is there a reason that the population shouldn't decide if they like the result of "Brexit means Brexit"? The reality is that leavers voted for May's process because they bought a pig in a poke. It matters not one jot if you like the result or not really because that is what Brexit means and leavers gave government the authority to deliver just that.

West London

"The least popular drops out every round until . . .yes but the least popular that drops out say in the 1st round might be more popular than say the winner in the 4th round but never had a chance to go up against it.It can be rigged by the order of the voting surely thats not to hard to understand?"

You find percentages hard to understand

Bristol East

Sunday Times, I think, reporting that May is out and Gove about to be installed as interim leader.

A coup!

"Sunday Times, I think, reporting that May is out and Gove about to be installed as interim leader.

A coup!

"

Needs subscription to read full article but doesn't say it's happened yet.

Bristol East

Deckchairs.

Titanic.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Oh dear, you know when you lift up a rock in the garden and find something damp and slimy squatting underneath it...

"Deckchairs.

Titanic.

"

HMS Brexit

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"Sunday Times, I think, reporting that May is out and Gove about to be installed as interim leader.

A coup!

"

so mays goes to be replaced by pob.i think he would have less tories backing him than may.

Bristol East

I really don't see what difference swapping May for another Tory will make.

What will the next one do differently?

The arithmetic is still the same.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Oh dear, you know when you lift up a rock in the garden and find something damp and slimy squatting underneath it..."

This..

Though I reckon that most rock dwellers have far more appeal..

May will dig her heels in.She's been consistently stubborn.

yumsville

If the choices in parliament are, for arguments sake; no deal, deal, deal only by peoples vote, and this goes to a referendum. We are obvious in the European elections but that aside, if the people vote for brexit again (devils advocate), are we then held responsible for any issues that may occur in N. Ireland?

The choices now are.

1.Revoking Article 50 and cancelling Brexit

2.Another referendum

3.The PM's deal plus a customs union

4.The PM's deal plus both a customs union and single market access

5. A Canada-style free trade agreement

6. Leaving the EU without a deal

West London

"The choices now are.

1.Revoking Article 50 and cancelling Brexit

2.Another referendum

3.The PM's deal plus a customs union

4.The PM's deal plus both a customs union and single market access

5. A Canada-style free trade agreement

6. Leaving the EU without a deal

"

Any of them can have amendments attached to them, combining them or make them conditional.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Tom Watson:

"

Parliament has voted no referendum

Bristol East

"

Parliament has voted no referendum"

That was two weeks ago.

It still hasn't voted FOR anything.

Something has to change.

Bristol East

"if the people vote for brexit again (devils advocate), are we then held responsible for any issues that may occur in N. Ireland?"

The right to self-determination, probably.

Non Iron wants to stay in the EU.

So does Scotland.

But, unlike the EU, where each country has a single vote, their votes do not count.

It's the weight of the English that dominates.

Everyone in Non Iron could vote to stay in the EU, and the English would still drag them out.

West London

Tom Watson:

Parliament has voted no referendum"

It also voted no transition deal twice but MV3 was still going to be held

Bristol East

Oh dear.

Now Fox says the Government will ignore any alternative Parliament comes up with that is incompatible with the 2017 Conservative Party manifesto.

Just when you thought you saw light at the end of the tunnel, it turns out to be an oncoming train.

No wonder an EU press release today says a no-deal exit on April 12 is “increasingly likely”.

» Add a new message to this topic