FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit compromise

Brexit compromise

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We have to admit, we need to compromise on this, i am sure many of us are drained!

Leave will happen, eventually, but it will be to leave the political institutions, and policies. But maintain a trading relationship. Which keeps britain strong.

There is actual momentum that we all kiss and make up.

Us brits are good at being sensible, extreme views are not really us, not playing cricket right?

So I am ready to admit it, let bygones be bygones.

You think so?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Compromise is the only sensible way forward.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I am beginning to think that the EU will lose patience and end up telling us exactly when we will leave and on watctwrns otherwise we stay.

The other 27 must be getting pretty frustrated with all of this. Why should it be paralysing them as it is us? They didn’t choose this course of action.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Lol - the EU have just set a meeting to discuss the next steps and implications of breix for the 10th Apr (we are due t- exit on t 12th). If they don't know how to play a negotiation, then we certainly are their closest of friends.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"We have to admit, we need to compromise on this, i am sure many of us are drained!

Leave will happen, eventually, but it will be to leave the political institutions, and policies. But maintain a trading relationship. Which keeps britain strong.

Us brits are good at being sensible, extreme views are not really us, not playing cricket right?

You think so?"

Great sentiment, but in this game everything other than staying is a strong negative to our economy. To be honest No Deal is better than a crap deal, so we end up with a binary choice.

I would rather that we Revoked 50, had an election for a national coalition government and rather than be in a weak negotiating position as we are, decide what we want and then invoke Article 50 again once we have worked out what we want. MPs need to take a step back from Party Politics and they should not be allowed to invoke the Party Whip, allowing individuals to better represent their constituency. Party politics has failed, perhaps we need to look at Proportional Representation, although FPTP has prevented extremist parties getting much representation (excluding ERG).

Bit rambling, but we have been in such a poor negotiating position since first invoking A50 that I keep scratching my head thinking about solutions!

I see a extension for a number of years.

I'd like to see a General Election, Scottish Independence referendum, Irish reunification referendum, shit let Wales & England have independence referendums.

Get the lot over & done with then if we're all independent we can all go our separate ways

Gloucestershire

"We have to admit, we need to compromise on this, i am sure many of us are drained!

You think so?

Great sentiment, but in this game everything other than staying is a strong negative to our economy. To be honest No Deal is better than a crap deal, so we end up with a binary choice.

I would rather that we Revoked 50, had an election for a national coalition government and rather than be in a weak negotiating position as we are, decide what we want and then invoke Article 50 again once we have worked out what we want. MPs need to take a step back from Party Politics and they should not be allowed to invoke the Party Whip, allowing individuals to better represent their constituency. Party politics has failed, perhaps we need to look at Proportional Representation, although FPTP has prevented extremist parties getting much representation (excluding ERG).

Bit rambling, but we have been in such a poor negotiating position since first invoking A50 that I keep scratching my head thinking about solutions!"

At the moment, we cannot stop the politicking, but the general consensus is for compromise.

Monday is where its going to happen.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Compromise, by rescinding Article 50 is the only intelligent solution. After 3 years of division, more years of severe austerity measures, it's utter stupidity to throw the country into the abyss, of fully leaving the EU. Right the wrongs in society, which requires a strong economy, before consideration of any substantial alteration to the UK's trading position etc.

Gloucestershire

"Compromise, by rescinding Article 50 is the only intelligent solution. After 3 years of division, more years of severe austerity measures, it's utter stupidity to throw the country into the abyss, of fully leaving the EU. Right the wrongs in society, which requires a strong economy, before consideration of any substantial alteration to the UK's trading position etc."

Intelligence and making the right decision are not the same.

A way which satisfies the majority, not minorities on both sides of the arguement has to be the sought.

By *ady Penny Morgan SpiceCouple  over a year ago

Could be near you........

This is very interesting German point t of view on the E. U and she does not hold back

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63IcW4eo4uM&feature=youtu.be

Chudleigh

"Compromise, by rescinding Article 50 is the only intelligent solution. After 3 years of division, more years of severe austerity measures, it's utter stupidity to throw the country into the abyss, of fully leaving the EU. Right the wrongs in society, which requires a strong economy, before consideration of any substantial alteration to the UK's trading position etc.

Intelligence and making the right decision are not the same.

A way which satisfies the majority, not minorities on both sides of the arguement has to be the sought.

"

Fair enough. We are now nearly 3 years on from the Referendum, much water has flowed under the bridge - it is no longer clear that the majority do want to Leave or stay. Surely now is the time to put this to a public vote - we know what is on offer; stay or go; if go gets the majority then do we want No Deal or MV4, or MV99 by then!

Politicians can’t solve this, it is wholly reasonable tp let the people decide now

"This is very interesting German point t of view on the E. U and she does not hold back

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63IcW4eo4uM&feature=youtu.be"

Now, she is fit!!!

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

You think so?"

The compromise is whatever Parliament comes up with. No fantasy or car crash options.

Probably a crappy version of EFTA as we don't want free movementand taking EU regulation either formally or informally as they will remain our biggest market.

Possibly sellable as leaving but really just a rubbish version of remain. It will have some positivity and momentum with it though as the Brexit extremists look like wreckers and Tommy Robinson acting as a figurehead today only appeals to a very specific demographic.

Referendum on the compromise deal or remain. We could chuck no deal in but it will look angry and petulant in comparison to a consensus.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

i thought the people decided in 2016 lol this is one of the teasons i dont vote.that bunch of clowns in parliment couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.they got there votes the other nite to decide how they wanted to go forward and still couldnt agree on 8 different things.if it wasnt so serious it would be comical.and now the got the hump coz they not gettin easter break.welcome to the real world where every one else gets a long weekend not a fortnight

West London

"i thought the people decided in 2016 lol this is one of the teasons i dont vote.that bunch of clowns in parliment couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.they got there votes the other nite to decide how they wanted to go forward and still couldnt agree on 8 different things.if it wasnt so serious it would be comical.and now the got the hump coz they not gettin easter break.welcome to the real world where every one else gets a long weekend not a fortnight"

Some people decided to leave.

There was no definition. It was all things to all people.

Parliament is doing now what should have been the first act after the referendum. Narrow down the options.

Why would you expect a solution after one vote?

Just listened to Stephen Kinnock being interviewed on the BBC and what he said made a lot of sense. Well done mate. A labour politician that is actually saying what they will agree with and yup Common market 2.0 does sound pretty sensible.

But hey who am I.

Gloucestershire

"Just listened to Stephen Kinnock being interviewed on the BBC and what he said made a lot of sense. Well done mate. A labour politician that is actually saying what they will agree with and yup Common market 2.0 does sound pretty sensible.

But hey who am I."

No I agree with you, when they were making the arguments in the indicative votes process on wednesday, it was the most well reasoned and sensible arguments, apart from custom union by ken clarke.

I think this is step in the right direction to bring everyone together.

Its the best chance to bring the kingdom truly united.

Not heard Ken Clarke's speech but that bloke is the best chancellor we had for many a year. If he says something then it is bound to be worth listening too.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

Anyone else find it ironic that we want to leave the EU because we want to make our own decisions, yet can't make any decisions regarding leaving the EU?

How anyone thought a 1.8% majority vote on an issue so monumentally important to the future of the UK could lead to a smooth and decisive Brexit is beyond me.

Gloucestershire

"Anyone else find it ironic that we want to leave the EU because we want to make our own decisions, yet can't make any decisions regarding leaving the EU?

How anyone thought a 1.8% majority vote on an issue so monumentally important to the future of the UK could lead to a smooth and decisive Brexit is beyond me. "

A positive thing was that it has raised questions about our society in general, it forced us to think on the way we are and how we are.

These questions will push debate to address what we want to see our society be for many years.

Progress is hard fought and hard won, many mistakes on the way, but we all get there eventually.

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

"Just listened to Stephen Kinnock being interviewed on the BBC and what he said made a lot of sense. Well done mate. A labour politician that is actually saying what they will agree with and yup Common market 2.0 does sound pretty sensible.

But hey who am I.

No I agree with you, when they were making the arguments in the indicative votes process on wednesday, it was the most well reasoned and sensible arguments, apart from custom union by ken clarke.

Its the best chance to bring the kingdom truly united. "

Common Market 2.0 or "Norway Plus" still includes Freedom of Movement which won't make 99% of Leave Voters happy.

What's the details of Ken Clarke's plan?

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

But hey who am I.

Its the best chance to bring the kingdom truly united.

Common Market 2.0 or "Norway Plus" still includes Freedom of Movement which won't make 99% of Leave Voters happy.

What's the details of Ken Clarke's plan?"

Just Googled it and apparently, there are no details

Chudleigh

"Anyone else find it ironic that we want to leave the EU because we want to make our own decisions, yet can't make any decisions regarding leaving the EU?

How anyone thought a 1.8% majority vote on an issue so monumentally important to the future of the UK could lead to a smooth and decisive Brexit is beyond me.

A positive thing was that it has raised questions about our society in general, it forced us to think on the way we are and how we are.

These questions will push debate to address what we want to see our society be for many years.

Progress is hard fought and hard won, many mistakes on the way, but we all get there eventually."

I love your optimism, just struggling to see anyLeadership that would take us to a better place. We have a Remainer PM trying to organise us to leave and a Leaver Leader of the Opposition trying to pretend we should Remain! I still think Nicola Sturgeoun or Ruth Davidson are the best bets for Leaders.

West London

Progress is hard fought and hard won, many mistakes on the way, but we all get there eventually.

I love your optimism, just struggling to see anyLeadership that would take us to a better place. We have a Remainer PM trying to organise us to leave and a Leaver Leader of the Opposition trying to pretend we should Remain! I still think Nicola Sturgeoun or Ruth Davidson are the best bets for Leaders. "

Ruth Davidson maybe, but she's not interested.

Nicola Sturgeon's are as narrow as any. More so in fact.

Gloucestershire

I love your optimism, just struggling to see anyLeadership that would take us to a better place. We have a Remainer PM trying to organise us to leave and a Leaver Leader of the Opposition trying to pretend we should Remain! I still think Nicola Sturgeoun or Ruth Davidson are the best bets for Leaders. "

I think the question of who leads us post brexit is an important one, at this moment obtaining a broad consensus on what our future relationship and the shape of brexit is getting there after the house being blocked out for three years.

Generally there has been a positive feeling that a brexit for all is on the way. Pieces are falling together far more quickly now than before.

The gears are turning now.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

You think so?"

A bit of commonsense at last

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Compromise, by rescinding Article 50 is the only intelligent solution. After 3 years of division, more years of severe austerity measures, it's utter stupidity to throw the country into the abyss, of fully leaving the EU. Right the wrongs in society, which requires a strong economy, before consideration of any substantial alteration to the UK's trading position etc."
Tell this to the remainers who are drivimg us to a no deal

Gloucestershire

Close but no cigar,

Again custom union got the closest, shame about custom 2.0. But its getting better.

Again snp point is heavily defeated,

Wednesday will get a clearer of picture now.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"Compromise, by rescinding Article 50 is the only intelligent solution. After 3 years of division, more years of severe austerity measures, it's utter stupidity to throw the country into the abyss, of fully leaving the EU. Right the wrongs in society, which requires a strong economy, before consideration of any substantial alteration to the UK's trading position etc.Tell this to the remainers who are drivimg us to a no deal"

[Snort] [Facepalm]

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Wouldn't be at all surprised if after tomorrow's ( Tuesday ) planned 5 hour cabinet meeting we hear of a General Election

"Wouldn't be at all surprised if after tomorrow's ( Tuesday ) planned 5 hour cabinet meeting we hear of a General Election "

Nothing would surprise me either, not sure what a general election would solve. Just more arsing around.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Close but no cigar,

Again custom union got the closest, shame about custom 2.0. But its getting better.

"

the compromise is there.... merge those plans!!

customs arrangement/ norway+ .... with a 2nd referendum to the people to make sure we are happy....

i bet that will get tabled by someone on wednesday....

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Wouldn't be at all surprised if after tomorrow's ( Tuesday ) planned 5 hour cabinet meeting we hear of a General Election

Nothing would surprise me either, not sure what a general election would solve. Just more arsing around."

i think the last thing anyone wants is a GE..... and remember you would need a 2/3rd majority under the fixed term parliament act for it to go thru...

the DUP aren't going to give up the power they have, the Tiggers aren't ready, and I don't think you could find enough tories to vote for it is the other option is a cabinet coup and they get to choose a new PM amongst themselves.......

I still think either long extension or 2nd referendum

West London

"Close but no cigar,

the compromise is there.... merge those plans!!

customs arrangement/ norway+ .... with a 2nd referendum to the people to make sure we are happy....

i bet that will get tabled by someone on wednesday.... "

...or May's transition + referendum.

Her deal is so unpalatable with another open ended negotiation to follow that remain is more likely to win.

I think that's why a compromise wasn't taken over the line. The independent group could have swung it.

» Add a new message to this topic