FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 2nd Referendum on Stay/Leave

2nd Referendum on Stay/Leave

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

We need to use the European Elections to show that the Peoples March and the Revoke Article 50 petition have wide support - do not let Farage screw it up for everyone again. Vote for a Remain Party!

Poll just done by Comres:

“The latest Comres poll revealed that Remain would now win by 58 per cent to 42 per cent of the vote.

But a separate Yougov poll found that voters had largely become even more sure that they voted the right way first time around almost three years of Brexit uncertainty since.

It said 64 per cent of Remain voters were now “more sure” they voted the right way compared to 57 per cent of Leave voters.

The research revealed that Leave voters were more likely to have doubts about their initial vote, with four per cent saying they would change their decision now compared to Remain’s two per cent.”

So nothing is guaranteed and people have to get registered and get out to vote. The referendum was not the largest democratic vote in this country, that happened in the 1992 General Election - maybe this time we could make it the biggest, with a decisive vote to turn our back on the right wing fantasists and embrace the EU

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Chudleigh

& just to reinforce this:

Richard Dawkins has discredited the notion that Brexiteers are giving the “British people what they want” in a scathing tweet.

The evolutionary biologist and writer said: “Have you noticed how the very people who keep telling us what we want are the most reluctant to actually find out what we want.

“If they are so confident of what the British people want, why are they so terrified of a People’s Vote?”

It’s not the first time Dawkins has let his thoughts be known on Brexit.

A year after the referendum the author expressed his frustration with the idea that “the British people have spoken” on Brexit in a Newsnight address.

He said: “Constitutional amendments should be hard to achieve.

“In America, it takes a two thirds majority in both houses of Congress.”

And it’s easy to see why.

“Unlike ordinary lawmaking constitutional changes are for keeps.

“Voters are fickle, opinions change”.

Recent analysis of British Social Attitudes Survey respondents has suggested that Brexit has ceased to be the “will of the people”, with 55 per cent of Brits saying they would now vote Remain in a second referendum.

Just six per cent of respondents say they think the UK will secure a good Brexit deal – a massive reduction from the 33 per cent who were optimistic about the outcome of negotiations when the Article 50 process was triggered in March 2017.

The findings have prompted the centre’s senior research fellow Sir John Curtice to warn MPs discussing Brexit in Parliament that: “There is seemingly room for debate about whether leaving the EU is still the ‘will’ of a majority of voters in the UK.

“Perhaps the key message for the politicians as they decide what to do is that those on all sides of the argument might be best advised to show

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

While I voted Remain I still believe in democracy and the democratic result was to leave, like it or not.

Saying that I'm still happy to point out glaringly obvious untruths about Brexit but I'll never declare that we should scrap Brexit, that's for the politicians much higher than my pay grade to decide.

Chudleigh

"While I voted Remain I still believe in democracy and the democratic result was to leave, like it or not.

Saying that I'm still happy to point out glaringly obvious untruths about Brexit but I'll never declare that we should scrap Brexit, that's for the politicians much higher than my pay grade to decide. "

Interesting point. I also strongly believe in democracy, but I feel the Referendum was fundamentally flawed as what is being offered to voters now is very different to the ‘dream’ offered by Brexiteers. So on the basis of this delta between dreams and reality, we should apply democracy and let the people decide. We now know much more about the lies of Brexit, so why not vote again?

Surely that is more democratic than denying a vote - which feels a bit like an oxymoron?

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Wake me up when it,s all over

Changing your mind shows you're thinking .Be you leave or remain.

Bertrand Russel comes to mind when he said.

"Fools and fanatics are so sure of themselves and the wise are so full of doubt."

Chudleigh

"Changing your mind shows you're thinking .Be you leave or remain.

Bertrand Russel comes to mind when he said.

"Fools and fanatics are so sure of themselves and the wise are so full of doubt."

"

Wise words

Chudleigh

"While I voted Remain I still believe in democracy and the democratic result was to leave, like it or not.

Saying that I'm still happy to point out glaringly obvious untruths about Brexit but I'll never declare that we should scrap Brexit, that's for the politicians much higher than my pay grade to decide. "

May called a General Election 25 months after the last one, when the gap should have been 60 months. So it is perfectly democratic for politicians to chose to come back to the people for a mandate. My point is that we, the people, should also be allowed to ask for & get another chance for a democratic vote.

The politicians have failed to reflect the changing will of the people, so it is time for us to say what we think. Surely a vote is better than all the bickering, lack of progress, distraction from the normal business of governing and the piecemeal unpicking of our economy as manufacturers move abroad and Capital flies to safer havens.

Yes we should respect democracy & the best way to do this is to actually allow a vote - anything else is truly undemocratic

It's not going to solve much if there is a second referendum and the result is reversed! If leave win, and its fair, no breaking the rules, then ok!

However, the only way that we are going to find out, who was right, and who was wrong, is to leave WTO, as that seems to satisfy the right wing! We should be able to review in 2 years, and make a decision based on facts!

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

This is getting old same shit diffrent day

"We" Don't need. "You" Need.

Personally if it happened again. I'd not vote again.

Not sure if I'm going to vote ever again in fact.

Brexit is the nail in the coffin for me when it comes to politics.

I'm done

Chudleigh

"It's not going to solve much if there is a second referendum and the result is reversed! If leave win, and its fair, no breaking the rules, then ok!

However, the only way that we are going to find out, who was right, and who was wrong, is to leave WTO, as that seems to satisfy the right wing! We should be able to review in 2 years, and make a decision based on facts!"

Wasn’t the original Referendum based on facts? It seems not. If we leave and decide to go back, then we lose our veto, we lose our reduction in membership and we lose even more credibility.

Surely another 2 years of disaster just to prove how bad we all know it will be is not sane. It simply allows us to more firmly say ‘I told you so’, but from a poorer position.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"This is getting old same shit diffrent day "

Indeed it makes me wonder what some of these posters did with their lives prior to Brexit, they spend so much time worrying about it there can't be time for anything else!

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"& just to reinforce this:

Richard Dawkins has discredited the notion that Brexiteers are giving the “British people what they want” in a scathing tweet.

The evolutionary biologist and writer said: “Have you noticed how the very people who keep telling us what we want are the most reluctant to actually find out what we want.

“If they are so confident of what the British people want, why are they so terrified of a People’s Vote?”

It’s not the first time Dawkins has let his thoughts be known on Brexit.

A year after the referendum the author expressed his frustration with the idea that “the British people have spoken” on Brexit in a Newsnight address.

He said: “Constitutional amendments should be hard to achieve.

“In America, it takes a two thirds majority in both houses of Congress.”

And it’s easy to see why.

“Unlike ordinary lawmaking constitutional changes are for keeps.

“Voters are fickle, opinions change”.

Recent analysis of British Social Attitudes Survey respondents has suggested that Brexit has ceased to be the “will of the people”, with 55 per cent of Brits saying they would now vote Remain in a second referendum.

Just six per cent of respondents say they think the UK will secure a good Brexit deal – a massive reduction from the 33 per cent who were optimistic about the outcome of negotiations when the Article 50 process was triggered in March 2017.

The findings have prompted the centre’s senior research fellow Sir John Curtice to warn MPs discussing Brexit in Parliament that: “There is seemingly room for debate about whether leaving the EU is still the ‘will’ of a majority of voters in the UK.

“Perhaps the key message for the politicians as they decide what to do is that those on all sides of the argument might be best advised to show"

So one man knows what everyone wants, how likely is that, but you believe every word he says!

Sounds like another Richard Head to me but you are desperate for any bit of hope!

I do believe the far better idea would of been a second vote on the Leave deal negotiated but we've got what we've got.

The biggest problem was all the different promises by leave, there is no iron clad leave direction and the whole mess comes from a government promising to adhere to a result where they we're convinced they'd never need to actually leave.

It was all far too simplistic, such a massive undertaking to follow through but such is life.

I shall be leafleting for the BREXIT Party, I’m guessing they will give the establishment Gistapo a real kick up the backside if we are forced into these elections...

[Removed by poster at 18/04/19 19:28:25]

"I shall be leafleting for the BREXIT Party, I’m guessing they will give the establishment Gistapo a real kick up the backside if we are forced into these elections..."

How and in what way?

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I got a leaflet through my door today.

Marvellous Marvin, the Labour mayor.

All about local elections.

Don't know anything about that.

Not sure there is even an election in my ward.

Added to the recycling bucket.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"We need to use the European Elections to show that the Peoples March and the Revoke Article 50 petition have wide support - do not let Farage screw it up for everyone again. Vote for a Remain Party!

“The latest Comres poll revealed that Remain would now win by 58 per cent to 42 per cent of the vote.

But a separate Yougov poll found that voters had largely become even more sure that they voted the right way first time around almost three years of Brexit uncertainty since.

It said 64 per cent of Remain voters were now “more sure” they voted the right way compared to 57 per cent of Leave voters.

The research revealed that Leave voters were more likely to have doubts about their initial vote, with four per cent saying they would change their decision now compared to Remain’s two per cent.”

So nothing is guaranteed and people have to get registered and get out to vote. The referendum was not the largest democratic vote in this country, that happened in the 1992 General Election - maybe this time we could make it the biggest, with a decisive vote to turn our back on the right wing fantasists and embrace the EU "

Farage will win the election easy and that is your second referendum,lost again,so you want a third vote then.

You have lost exept it and get on with your life.

Chudleigh

"We need to use the European Elections to show that the Peoples March and the Revoke Article 50 petition have wide support - do not let Farage screw it up for everyone again. Vote for a Remain Party!

So nothing is guaranteed and people have to get registered and get out to vote. The referendum was not the largest democratic vote in this country, that happened in the 1992 General Election - maybe this time we could make it the biggest, with a decisive vote to turn our back on the right wing fantasists and embrace the EU Farage will win the election easy and that is your second referendum,lost again,so you want a third vote then.

You have lost exept it and get on with your life."

Sadly we have all lost, nobody other than the wealthy and the Nationalists gain from

Brexit

» Add a new message to this topic