FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Remain voters - EU elections

Remain voters - EU elections

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just curious how fellow remainers will vote MEP wise.

Any voter wanting a WTO or hard-line brexit will go brexit party or UKIP.

Fuck knows who will vote Tory or labour. Given the Tory position presumably will be May's deal (worst of both worlds) and labour is, left wing brexit in the north, potential remain or Norway ish arrangement in the South.

T.I.G/CHUK; They have Anna Soubry - she will hinder them based on defending and digging in on austerity. Other than that, they are a decent centrist group that is pro-eu.

Lib Dems; pro-EU. Centre left, don't see any insane domestic political ideas.

Greens; two issue party really that I agree with. But this isn't the time for a one issue vote.

Question is - on the remain front, is there a strategy? Remainers cannot be divided given that leave voters might be split, in order of support; Brexit party, UKIP, Tories.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Just curious how fellow remainers will vote MEP wise.

Fuck knows who will vote Tory or labour. Given the Tory position presumably will be May's deal (worst of both worlds) and labour is, left wing brexit in the north, potential remain or Norway ish arrangement in the South.

T.I.G/CHUK; They have Anna Soubry - she will hinder them based on defending and digging in on austerity. Other than that, they are a decent centrist group that is pro-eu.

Greens; two issue party really that I agree with. But this isn't the time for a one issue vote.

Question is - on the remain front, is there a strategy? Remainers cannot be divided given that leave voters might be split, in order of support; Brexit party, UKIP, Tories.

"

I really don't see any point now, there's been too many Brexit wanting MEP's that instead of working to help the UK within the EU their more interested in making themselves and the UK look Utter complete twats.

I really don't see any point now, there's been too many Brexit wanting MEP's that instead of working to help the UK within the EU their more interested in making themselves and the UK look Utter complete twats. "

Is that a no point in voting?

Or no point advocating for brexit or remain?

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Surely there is always a point in voting? Tell that to those that didn’t vote in the Brexit Referendum. If you don’t like the politicians, find a party you do like and make a difference - even if we are diametrically opposed in our views, I’d rather people made an effort as opposed to being passive.

Just sitting on the by lines chipping away like a number of contributors do is a bit sadder than people who do get involved. It will only be when we lose our democracy that people will realise what we have had

I really don't see any point now, there's been too many Brexit wanting MEP's that instead of working to help the UK within the EU their more interested in making themselves and the UK look Utter complete twats.

Or no point advocating for brexit or remain?"

The Country has voted to leave.

It's the UK MP's that have to sign off on Brexit.

MEP's are meant to be working for the benefit of the UK while we're in the EU but Brexit MEP's have no Interest in doing that, their just interested in wanking off to Farage slagging everyone off the the Euro Parliament.

We're leaving the EU, so I don't see the point in voting for MEP's now.

Chudleigh

Or no point advocating for brexit or remain?

The Country has voted to leave.

It's the UK MP's that have to sign off on Brexit.

MEP's are meant to be working for the benefit of the UK while we're in the EU but Brexit MEP's have no Interest in doing that, their just interested in wanking off to Farage slagging everyone off the the Euro Parliament.

We're leaving the EU, so I don't see the point in voting for MEP's now. "

Unless of course we don’t, in which case we could probably do with having people in place who want to make a decent fist of it.

We all have to do contingency planning in our own way - how ironic would it be if we end up staying and have Nigel and his team disrupting everything again.

I mean, why would you?

Similar to a previous link - it’s early days in the campaign.

Remain voters are waiting to see what Labour decides on the second referendum..... , thanks to social

Media - tactical voting can be decided until just a few days before the vote.

Best wait to see what the Tories and Labour decide regarding the elections.

Although only a few weeks away ... it’s very much early days.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Surely there is always a point in voting? Tell that to those that didn’t vote in the Brexit Referendum. If you don’t like the politicians, find a party you do like and make a difference - even if we are diametrically opposed in our views, I’d rather people made an effort as opposed to being passive.

Just sitting on the by lines chipping away like a number of contributors do is a bit sadder than people who do get involved. It will only be when we lose our democracy that people will realise what we have had "

There is hope for you yet

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It's bad enough watching this pantomime, without taking part in it.

Chudleigh

"Surely there is always a point in voting? Tell that to those that didn’t vote in the Brexit Referendum. If you don’t like the politicians, find a party you do like and make a difference - even if we are diametrically opposed in our views, I’d rather people made an effort as opposed to being passive.

Just sitting on the by lines chipping away like a number of contributors do is a bit sadder than people who do get involved. It will only be when we lose our democracy that people will realise what we have had There is hope for you yet"

In the 70s and 80s I campaigned for anti-racism and pro-LGBT causes, I have seen dramatic improvements but so much more has to be done. The same is more than true about misogyny.

Will I ever sit on the by lines, no, society only changes when people get off their arses (& Keyboards) to do something positive about it.

I do this as I do not accept that society should be only for the rich and powerful.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The issues are really how the votes relate into elected representatives/parties as well as how those results subsequently get interpreted, as indicative of what people want from brexit - cancel, or which form of brexit could be introduced.

It's unfortunate that those parties who support remain aren't working in full coalition in some respects. These parties have different goals and political ideologies, so a central brexit theme is just one element of what they stand for.

The pending elections are just an additional aspect of the Conservative's whole mess, that they've been stringing along for years. They're out of control and the country taking back control from them is a tough one.

"The issues are really how the votes relate into elected representatives/parties as well as how those results subsequently get interpreted, as indicative of what people want from brexit - cancel, or which form of brexit could be introduced.

It's unfortunate that those parties who support remain aren't working in full coalition in some respects. These parties have different goals and political ideologies, so a central brexit theme is just one element of what they stand for.

The pending elections are just an additional aspect of the Conservative's whole mess, that they've been stringing along for years. They're out of control and the country taking back control from them is a tough one."

Agreed, if the leavers can have effectively an identity politics party for leaving. Eg, single issue, it's all about getting out of the EU.

Remainers can do the same - remain in the EU, not much else explained, single issue.

Because if we don't, the narrative of a successful UKIP/Brexit party will be "a majority of the UK want to leave so much, that we are the biggest party in the EU parliament for the UK."

Not yet decided. But if vite for whomever I think would best represent me in the EU.

I don’t think a protest vote helps here. FPTP means the big two won’t be that scared. Especially if UKIP and brexit split the hard brexit vote. So even if brexit party do well, parliament will pay lip service at best.

And remain or leave, isn’t it better to have someone who will try and do a good job (even if you’d rather they didn’t have a job at all) rather than someone will just be obtuse (if they even turn up) just for the sake of it.

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

So, what happens if they end up calling a general election before Brexit is sorted? Can Farage actually win a decent number of seats in that scenario or will voters drift back to the parties they've always voted for after their European election protest vote?

"So, what happens if they end up calling a general election before Brexit is sorted? Can Farage actually win a decent number of seats in that scenario or will voters drift back to the parties they've always voted for after their European election protest vote? "

I think the big two will do enough. FPTP favours them. Plus Brexit Party will need to do a lot more to show more than one policy party to swing enough. European elections can be a protest vote. GEs tend to be a bit wider. See how labour fought the last one.

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

"So, what happens if they end up calling a general election before Brexit is sorted? Can Farage actually win a decent number of seats in that scenario or will voters drift back to the parties they've always voted for after their European election protest vote? "

If the whole Brexit issues isn’t sorted and a General Election is called you will probably find that it will still be a-protest vote because a lot of people won’t vote for the mps who have failed to honour the vote of the referendum

Which you can understand because no matter what labour and the torries use as their manifestos the electorate aren’t going to believe a word they say.

"So, what happens if they end up calling a general election before Brexit is sorted? Can Farage actually win a decent number of seats in that scenario or will voters drift back to the parties they've always voted for after their European election protest vote?

If the whole Brexit issues isn’t sorted and a General Election is called you will probably find that it will still be a-protest vote because a lot of people won’t vote for the mps who have failed to honour the vote of the referendum

Which you can understand because no matter what labour and the torries use as their manifestos the electorate aren’t going to believe a word they say."

Honestly if anyone believes any parties manifesto then more fool them

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"So, what happens if they end up calling a general election before Brexit is sorted? Can Farage actually win a decent number of seats in that scenario or will voters drift back to the parties they've always voted for after their European election protest vote?

Which you can understand because no matter what labour and the torries use as their manifestos the electorate aren’t going to believe a word they say."

But both Labour and the Conservatives said in their 2017 manifestos that we would leave the EU with a deal. Neither of them proposed leaving without a deal. As far as I can see both the Labour party and the Conservative party are trying to do that. To suggest that we should leave without a deal is to go against what 80% of the electorate voted for in the 2017 election.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"

But both Labour and the Conservatives said in their 2017 manifestos that we would leave the EU with a deal. Neither of them proposed leaving without a deal. As far as I can see both the Labour party and the Conservative party are trying to do that. To suggest that we should leave without a deal is to go against what 80% of the electorate voted for in the 2017 election.

"

Indeed.

And the Leave campaign described the idea of a hard Brexit in 2016 as "silly" and "Project Fear".

Now, because the exit route isn't pure enough for them, it's what they say they want.

When ideology trumps pragmatism.

» Add a new message to this topic