FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Justice to scotland.

Justice to scotland.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

On 23 junne 2016 the people of scotland voted decisively to remain within the eu, they dont got a backstop like northern ireland to safe guard them, how do you think it will play out for them? I hope they could remain in the eu

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Indyref2 is very bit as bitter and divisive in Scotland as Brexit is in other parts of the UK.

The arguments are exactly the same - the emotional pull of taking back control and "being that nation again" versus economic reality.

One thing Brexit has destroyed though is some of the bogus rhetoric from the likes of Milliband and May in 2014, who said a vote to leave would mean a hard border between Scotland and England.

The nationalists need a more plausible plan for the currency issue.

"Indyref2 is very bit as bitter and divisive in Scotland as Brexit is in other parts of the UK.

The arguments are exactly the same - the emotional pull of taking back control and "being that nation again" versus economic reality.

One thing Brexit has destroyed though is some of the bogus rhetoric from the likes of Milliband and May in 2014, who said a vote to leave would mean a hard border between Scotland and England.

"

That is right, brexit is a threat against democracy.

Bristol East

How is Brexit a "threat to democracy"?

"How is Brexit a "threat to democracy"?"
Like northern ireland and scotland voted to remain and a final peoples vote on the brexit deal is rejected.

Bristol East

Nah.

Brexit is a form of democracy.

A general election in 2015 and everyone can pick from a set of manifestos.

The one that wins includes a referendum.

A referendum is held and the majority outcome is implemented.

Fast forward to the 2017 general election and a new set of manifestos.

People had the choice to rerun the referendum, but at a UK level few people voted for that.

In Scotland, one of the manifestos included a 2nd referendum, not on the UK leaving the EU but on Scotland leaving the UK.

That won a majority in Scotland and that is what the ruling party now wants to implement.

Leaving aside the wisdom of either idea, it seems to me both policies are legitimized by a democratic mandate.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Nah.

Brexit is a form of democracy.

A general election in 2015 and everyone can pick from a set of manifestos.

The one that wins includes a referendum.

A referendum is held and the majority outcome is implemented.

Fast forward to the 2017 general election and a new set of manifestos.

People had the choice to rerun the referendum, but at a UK level few people voted for that.

In Scotland, one of the manifestos included a 2nd referendum, not on the UK leaving the EU but on Scotland leaving the UK.

That won a majority in Scotland and that is what the ruling party now wants to implement.

Leaving aside the wisdom of either idea, it seems to me both policies are legitimized by a democratic mandate.

"

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"Indyref2 is very bit as bitter and divisive in Scotland as Brexit is in other parts of the UK.

That is right, brexit is a threat against democracy."

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out!

[Removed by poster at 25/04/19 15:09:26]

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out! "

Yes I do know what it is

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out! "

It's not often we agree but..

Dudley

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out!

It's not often we agree but.. "

Indeed!

Dudley

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out! Yes I do know what it is "

Oh no you don't!

Just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make it undemocratic.

[Removed by poster at 25/04/19 18:32:30]

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out! Yes I do know what it is

Oh no you don't!

Just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make it undemocratic. "

Oh yes I do .

Dudley

You haven't got the faintest idea what democracy is have you!? I suggest putting a dictionary on your Christmas list to help you find out! Yes I do know what it is

Oh no you don't!

Just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make it undemocratic. Oh yes I do ."

You don't, even posters who never agree with me agree!!

Oh no you don't!

Just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make it undemocratic. Oh yes I do .

You don't, even posters who never agree with me agree!! "

I do, it doesnt matter, we have to agree to disagree

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh no you don't!

Just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make it undemocratic. Oh yes I do .

You don't, even posters who never agree with me agree!! I do, it doesnt matter, we have to agree to disagree "

William Wallace the brave heart guy said it best

"They may take our democracy but they'll never take our freedom of speech "

All these pricks that think it ain’t democracy if they lose. It’s been the same ever since I can remember, like all those rallies and strikes trying to topple Thatcher, yet she was in #10 for 16 years with huge majorities. This shower couldn’t even get shot of May, and she is nowhere near as strong as Thatcher was.

Scotland? They don’t like independence, either from the UK or the EU.

Oh no you don't!

Oh yes I do .

You don't, even posters who never agree with me agree!! "

You must be crazy....

Infact yes I agree indeed

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

what garbage

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

I actually think that the Scots should have another bash....

But it will either result in the slow death of the SNP or the return of yet another Tory government in the remaining UK.

I am not sure how damaging, independence would be to the Scots either. I do not think that it would be as damaging to the rest of the UK as people may claim.

Dudley

Oh no you don't!

Oh yes I do .

You don't, even posters who never agree with me agree!!

You must be crazy....

Infact yes I agree indeed "

See what I mean, the OP might want to try The Ladybird series of books they may have one on democracy which he may be able to understand! Lol

Dudley

Oh no you don't!

You don't, even posters who never agree with me agree!! I do, it doesnt matter, we have to agree to disagree "

We don't!

Justice to scotland

By *andS_GlasgowCouple  over a year ago

Giffnock

Democracy - the UK voted as one - respect the vote !

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

The UK is not a proper, functioning democracy and never has been.

The present chaos highlights Scotland's urgent need to take charge of its own future.

Whatever bollocks May and her cabinet may spout, Scotland does not require Westminster's consent for Indyref 2.

Nicola Sturgeon will seek it as a box ticking exercise, but either country in a union has the right to dissolve that union.

The legislation concerning the devolution settlement becomes meaningless if the union is dissolved, as it undoubtedly can be.

By *ce AFWoman  over a year ago

unicorn island

"I actually think that the Scots should have another bash....

But it will either result in the slow death of the SNP or the return of yet another Tory government in the remaining UK.

I am not sure how damaging, independence would be to the Scots either. I do not think that it would be as damaging to the rest of the UK as people may claim."

Nooooo no more votes we don't want them

The amount of money that could be spent better else where in the country with all the cut backs would be more beneficial to the actual people of Scotland other than the god knows cost of running independence campaign again. The people of Scotland no said No to independence they need to except it. SNP are close to being a dictorship

A few things Shag.

Firstly, if Scotland had voted for Independence in 2014, they would be out of the EU and would have had to apply to join it (as it is the United Kingdom that is a member and not the constituent countries) - with all the conditions that entails, such as taking the Euro as currency.

The vote of 2016 was a UK wide vote. The United Kingdom as a whole voted to leave. Scotland and Northern Ireland are part of the United Kingdom and the result applies to the whole of the United Kingdom. That is the democracy we live in.

If Scotland were to hold a further Independence referendum and vited to leave the UK, they would STILL be required to apply to join the EU - they can not adopt the UK's existing membership.

I am not sure how damaging, independence would be to the Scots either. I do not think that it would be as damaging to the rest of the UK as people may claim.

The amount of money that could be spent better else where in the country with all the cut backs would be more beneficial to the actual people of Scotland other than the god knows cost of running independence campaign again. The people of Scotland no said No to independence they need to except it. SNP are close to being a dictorship "

The scottish government have a mandate from the scottish parliament to hold an independence referendum if there was substantial change like scotland being taken out the eu because of brexit so they are using it

Edinburgh

The amount of money that could be spent better else where in the country with all the cut backs would be more beneficial to the actual people of Scotland other than the god knows cost of running independence campaign again. The people of Scotland no said No to independence they need to except it. SNP are close to being a dictorship "

We don't want them...Speaking for the people of Scotland, are you?

unicorn island

The amount of money that could be spent better else where in the country with all the cut backs would be more beneficial to the actual people of Scotland other than the god knows cost of running independence campaign again. The people of Scotland no said No to independence they need to except it. SNP are close to being a dictorship

The scottish government have a mandate from the scottish parliament to hold an independence referendum if there was substantial change like scotland being taken out the eu because of brexit so they are using it "

That's because they are a party for themselves and not the people. They just want to go down in history by trying to get what they want.

unicorn island

We don't want them...Speaking for the people of Scotland, are you? "

Well seeing as the majority said no the first time..... kinda lol

Edinburgh

Well seeing as the majority said no the first time..... kinda lol"

Polls suggested that Scotland would vote YES, which is why Brown was wheeled out (illegally, in contravention of electoral legislation) to deliver the notorious vow if we changed our mind. We were also promised, as part of the unionist campaign, that we would not be ripped out of the EU.

Lies, broken promises, bad faith, total disrespect in parliament for Scotland's voice, huge changes in the political landscape.... and you would deny a democratic re-think? Shame on you.

The scottish government have a mandate from the scottish parliament to hold an independence referendum if there was substantial change like scotland being taken out the eu because of brexit so they are using it

That's because they are a party for themselves and not the people. They just want to go down in history by trying to get what they want. "

If they arent a party for the ppl why have they kept being voted into power for the last 12yrs ?must be doing something right

unicorn island

Polls suggested that Scotland would vote YES, which is why Brown was wheeled out (illegally, in contravention of electoral legislation) to deliver the notorious vow if we changed our mind. We were also promised, as part of the unionist campaign, that we would not be ripped out of the EU.

Lies, broken promises, bad faith, total disrespect in parliament for Scotland's voice, huge changes in the political landscape.... and you would deny a democratic re-think? Shame on you."

Polls before an election mean jack when it comes down to the person in the booth that day voting anything can happen.

One party cannot have the voice of a whole country they only have some grasping points that people are so naive to buy into. Without actually seeing the future of it. I have no shame on how I choose not shame on me at all.

unicorn island

That's because they are a party for themselves and not the people. They just want to go down in history by trying to get what they want.

If they arent a party for the ppl why have they kept being voted into power for the last 12yrs ?must be doing something right "

Just lucky for them there is no better alternative to choose if there was anew party I do believe they would be out on their ear

Edinburgh

Lies, broken promises, bad faith, total disrespect in parliament for Scotland's voice, huge changes in the political landscape.... and you would deny a democratic re-think? Shame on you.

Polls before an election mean jack when it comes down to the person in the booth that day voting anything can happen.

One party cannot have the voice of a whole country they only have some grasping points that people are so naive to buy into. Without actually seeing the future of it. I have no shame on how I choose not shame on me at all. "

Your denial of democracy is shameful.

Edinburgh

If they arent a party for the ppl why have they kept being voted into power for the last 12yrs ?must be doing something right

Just lucky for them there is no better alternative to choose if there was anew party I do believe they would be out on their ear"

"No better alternative" includes the unionist parties, so you are just making the case for independence as the unionist parties are useless!

unicorn island

Just lucky for them there is no better alternative to choose if there was anew party I do believe they would be out on their ear

"No better alternative" includes the unionist parties, so you are just making the case for independence as the unionist parties are useless!"

No I'm saying I wish a new unheard of party comes into play out of nowhere. Fresh

Just lucky for them there is no better alternative to choose if there was anew party I do believe they would be out on their ear"

The majority of scottish ppl choose snp because they are the only party who stick up for scotland unlike labour tory or libdems who do what they are told by their Westminster based parties i cant wait for indyref2 and we will get our independence

unicorn island

The majority of scottish ppl choose snp because they are the only party who stick up for scotland unlike labour tory or libdems who do what they are told by their Westminster based parties i cant wait for indyref2 and we will get our independence"

No they are the only party that give the historical independence story all proud and stuff to be Scottish. Get independence and then what I ask you all? Have they told you how we would run as a country? What currency we would have? How it would effect our health services??? Anything at all?

unicorn island

What about faslane? SNP want to get rid of our only prevention. I have a first aid kit about I don't used it but least I know it's there incase of emergency. Ok I could go on and on. I don't care what others vote etc peace n love lol

"The people of Scotland no said No to independence they need to except it. SNP are close to being a dictorship "

They voted no because England were dicks and forced how great being in a union is, threatening that if Scotland left, they would not be apart of the EU, etc, remember "better together" and "the EU is important"?

England has spat in the face of the Scottish with Brexit, literally pulling the rug from under their feet, taking away everything they've promised to keep them from going independent. You don't think that's cause for trying again? Besides it's highlighted even more thanks to Brexit, why is it OK for England to dictate going alone when many EU countries have already said they'd fast track Scotland into the EU.

"The UK is not a proper, functioning democracy and never has been."
That is right

"What about faslane? SNP want to get rid of our only prevention. I have a first aid kit about I don't used it but least I know it's there incase of emergency. Ok I could go on and on. I don't care what others vote etc peace n love lol"

But haven't we got to get the Americans permission to use them? We only lease them we don't own them from what I understand?

"What about faslane? SNP want to get rid of our only prevention. I have a first aid kit about I don't used it but least I know it's there incase of emergency. Ok I could go on and on. I don't care what others vote etc peace n love lol

But haven't we got to get the Americans permission to use them? We only lease them we don't own them from what I understand?"

Yes we do need permission to use them ,in my opinion its billions worth of scrap metal that will never be used as soon as its moved out of my country the better

Bristol East

In Parliament, the Minister says no, US permission is not needed.

The delivery system - the inter-continental ballistic missile - is American.

The warhead is British.

Would you give another country the capability to launch a first strike against you, without building in something, somewhere to make sure it could never happen?

I'm sure they have.

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"

The majority of scottish ppl choose snp because they are the only party who stick up for scotland unlike labour tory or libdems who do what they are told by their Westminster based parties i cant wait for indyref2 and we will get our independence"

The majority of people vote for other parties. The SNP only got 1/3 of the vote share last time round.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"What about faslane? SNP want to get rid of our only prevention. I have a first aid kit about I don't used it but least I know it's there incase of emergency. Ok I could go on and on. I don't care what others vote etc peace n love lol

But haven't we got to get the Americans permission to use them? We only lease them we don't own them from what I understand?

Yes we do need permission to use them ,in my opinion its billions worth of scrap metal that will never be used as soon as its moved out of my country the better"

Absolutely not true. The UK Trident system is totally in our control, does not need American codes or permission to be used and does not rely on American GPS systems to operate.

The missles are maintained and stored in the USA when not on deployment.

By *assy LassieWoman  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

Lies, broken promises, bad faith, total disrespect in parliament for Scotland's voice, huge changes in the political landscape.... and you would deny a democratic re-think? Shame on you."

"How is Brexit a "threat to democracy"?Like northern ireland and scotland voted to remain and a final peoples vote on the brexit deal is rejected."

I am a remain voted from Scotland. My voting form only mentioned the UK to stay or leave.

The EU commissioners stated no seperate deals.

The UK joined and the UK will leave.

If Scotland had voted for independence in 2014 it would have been out of the eu because it would have been a seccecionist state. My source....the Scottish white paper.

If Scotland had voted for independence in 2014 it would have been out of the eu because it would have been a seccecionist state. My source....the Scottish white paper."

They voted to remain in the eu in 2016 by 62% to 38% with a remain majority across all 32 voting areas.

Bristol East

49 % yes vote in newest Scottish poll.

The Nats really need to be hitting 60 %.

That will depend on whether Brexit gets any messier and the elevation of some English toff to Downing St.

Bristol East

The original Polaris missile system - the one the UK received in exchange for Diego Garcia - came with an American officer on each submarine that carried it. One half of the launch key was held by the American, the other by a RN person.

"

The majority of scottish ppl choose snp because they are the only party who stick up for scotland unlike labour tory or libdems who do what they are told by their Westminster based parties i cant wait for indyref2 and we will get our independence

The majority of people vote for other parties. The SNP only got 1/3 of the vote share last time round."

Id say 36.9% of the vote between 5 parties is a pretty good majority

Yes we do need permission to use them ,in my opinion its billions worth of scrap metal that will never be used as soon as its moved out of my country the better

Absolutely not true. The UK Trident system is totally in our control, does not need American codes or permission to be used and does not rely on American GPS systems to operate.

The missles are maintained and stored in the USA when not on deployment. "

Im not too sure thats right but if im wrong il accept that

"49 % yes vote in newest Scottish poll.

The Nats really need to be hitting 60 %.

That will depend on whether Brexit gets any messier and the elevation of some English toff to Downing St."

49% before any campaigning has started is brilliant when you think before the 2014 snp were polling under 25%

Grantham

The missles are maintained and stored in the USA when not on deployment.

Im not too sure thats right but if im wrong il accept that "

If Faslane were to close, then our subs would operate from USA bases.

Then again you could argue that if Jeremy Corbyn became PM, then he would cancel Trident.

Lots of ifs and buts.

Bristol East

That might be a stopgap option in an emergency - to operate from US - but it is no solution.

People often overlook the other hugely significant facility on the Clyde - the weapons storage.

Coulport, I think it is. A mountain hollowed out to allow warheads and missiles to be stored on land before and after each patrol.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia did temporary leases with states like Ukraine until it was in a position to remove weapons from their soil.

I imagine the same would happen here in the separation negotiations.

Holyrood grants a lease of the sites in exchange for something.

Ten years has been suggested. It would be quite feat of planning, engineering, construction and politics to rebuild the Clyde facilities elsewhere in the UK within 10 years.

In terms of cost, you are talking HS2 money.

glasgow

"

The majority of people vote for other parties. The SNP only got 1/3 of the vote share last time round.

Id say 36.9% of the vote between 5 parties is a pretty good majority "

They may have got more votes than other parties but it's still not the majority of the vote share and nowhere near the majority of the electorate so when the SNP claim to be speaking for Scotland or the people of Scotland (as all national parties through history do), they are talking nonsense. They are speaking for a minority of the country.

"

Id say 36.9% of the vote between 5 parties is a pretty good majority

They may have got more votes than other parties but it's still not the majority of the vote share and nowhere near the majority of the electorate so when the SNP claim to be speaking for Scotland or the people of Scotland (as all national parties through history do), they are talking nonsense. They are speaking for a minority of the country."

Well they got most votes and will continue to get most votes to keep them in power for many years to come as ppl trust them im more than happy with the job they are doing

By *xperimentalistMan  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Wee jimmy crankie is going to publish the financial case for independence, I could do with a good laugh

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"

Id say 36.9% of the vote between 5 parties is a pretty good majority "

Didn't the SNP lose seats in the last Scottish election? In fact, didn't they lose their parliamentary majority?

And didn't they also lose nearly 40% of their seats in the last UK General Election, going from 56 MPs down to 35?

Bristol East

The electoral system for the Scottish Parliament was designed to prevent any single party gaining a majority.

Every single administration has been a coalition of sorts, except one, when Salmond smashed the system and took an overall majority. That really was an astonishing result.

Currently, it is an SNP administration with the support of the Greens. That is normal. Prior to the SNP, it was Labour with the Lib Dems.

The SNP manifesto in both the last Scottish and UK elections promised a 2nd independence referendum.

The SNP won both, so their electoral mandate is clear.

Grantham

"The electoral system for the Scottish Parliament was designed to prevent any single party gaining a majority.

Every single administration has been a coalition of sorts, except one, when Salmond smashed the system and took an overall majority. That really was an astonishing result.

Currently, it is an SNP administration with the support of the Greens. That is normal. Prior to the SNP, it was Labour with the Lib Dems.

The SNP manifesto in both the last Scottish and UK elections promised a 2nd independence referendum.

The SNP won both, so their electoral mandate is clear."

Legally, its not theirs to promise. Only the UK Government has the power to allow a legally binding referendum.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

When Scotland sees the amount of money they will lose out on not being in the UK they will vote to leave the UK

Bristol East

The same issue arose last time.

It is quite legitimate for the SNP to include a referendum in a manifesto.

Constitutional matters are reserved to the UK Government.

It is custom and practice in the UK for winning manifestos to be accepted as the basis of a legislative programme.

The UK Government made a Section 30 Order, which temporarily devolved the power to the Scottish Parliament to pass and enact the referendum legislation.

A new Section 30 order would be required for a new referendum.

The Tories have carefully avoided rejection, saying only "now is not the time" (the wider counsel of Ruth Davidson at work).

That line still holds because Brexit has yet to happen, so there has been no "material change" since 2014.

The outcome of Brexit and a Tory leadership race will determine what happens after that.

In one sense, outright rejection by some Old Etonian toff in No 10 plays into the hands of the SNP and stokes anti-English grievance in Scotland.

In those circumstances, the next Scottish election in 2021, or the next UK election, may well be pitched as the de facto referendum.

Viewed from the SNP, they need to be hitting 60 % in the polls.

A catastrophic Brexit, and/or an arrogant toff in No 10, is their best hope of reaching that.

Bristol East

* wiser counsel

If Scotland had voted for independence in 2014 it would have been out of the eu because it would have been a seccecionist state. My source....the Scottish white paper.They voted to remain in the eu in 2016 by 62% to 38% with a remain majority across all 32 voting areas.

"

I am a remainder and your point does not get away from the snp would have had us outanyway in 2014 if independence had happened.

So snp taking us out of the eu = good

A UK wide vote to get taken out of the eu = bad.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

If Scotland had voted for independence in 2014 it would have been out of the eu because it would have been a seccecionist state. My source....the Scottish white paper.They voted to remain in the eu in 2016 by 62% to 38% with a remain majority across all 32 voting areas.

I am a remainder and your point does not get away from the snp would have had us outanyway in 2014 if independence had happened.

A UK wide vote to get taken out of the eu = bad."

"What about faslane? SNP want to get rid of our only prevention. I have a first aid kit about I don't used it but least I know it's there incase of emergency. Ok I could go on and on. I don't care what others vote etc peace n love lol"

Faslane is not under UK ultimate control: that remains with USA, ie, POTUS. It could be a perfectly acceptable deterrent in England, possibly down around the south coast where I think the deeper harbours are (could be wrong).

"A catastrophic Brexit, and/or an arrogant toff in No 10, is their best hope of reaching that."

Both seem a very real possibility at the moment .....

Grantham

Faslane is not under UK ultimate control: that remains with USA, ie, POTUS. It could be a perfectly acceptable deterrent in England, possibly down around the south coast where I think the deeper harbours are (could be wrong)."

The USA has absolutely no control over either Faslane or any of our submarines.

A UK wide vote to get taken out of the eu = bad."

But the snp want independence from the uk but still be in the eu.

Faslane is not under UK ultimate control: that remains with USA, ie, POTUS. It could be a perfectly acceptable deterrent in England, possibly down around the south coast where I think the deeper harbours are (could be wrong).

The USA has absolutely no control over either Faslane or any of our submarines. "

There aren't even any launch codes for trident.It can potentially be launched by the sub commanders without authorisation from the government .

Although chain of command up to the PM would be the preferred way.

The USA has absolutely no control over either Faslane or any of our submarines.

There aren't even any launch codes for trident.It can potentially be launched by the sub commanders without authorisation from the government .

Although chain of command up to the PM would be the preferred way."

Quite right- my mistake. The system relies on the discipline of the navy.

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"On 23 junne 2016 the people of scotland voted decisively to remain within the eu, they dont got a backstop like northern ireland to safe guard them, how do you think it will play out for them? I hope they could remain in the eu "

.Scotland took part in a national, UK wide vote . . Just because the vast majority in Scotland rejected leaving doesn't mean you can dismiss the overall national result of the referendum. . . Suck it up. . .Scotland took part, .Scotland should accept the outcome of the referendum. . . Then again, they couldn't even accept the Once In A Generation Indi vote !!!!

Bristol East

Seems a reasonable question to ask - are you more attached to the EU or the UK, because you can no longer be attached to both.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"On 23 junne 2016 the people of scotland voted decisively to remain within the eu, they dont got a backstop like northern ireland to safe guard them, how do you think it will play out for them? I hope they could remain in the eu

.Scotland took part in a national, UK wide vote . . Just because the vast majority in Scotland rejected leaving doesn't mean you can dismiss the overall national result of the referendum. . . Suck it up. . .Scotland took part, .Scotland should accept the outcome of the referendum. . . Then again, they couldn't even accept the Once In A Generation Indi vote !!!!"

Fair point, but too many Brexiteers seem to be willing to sell NI down the river to get what they want, so they aren’t really interested in the Union. I am a Unionist for the UK and that means every part of the UK. Unless the Good Friday Agreement can be protected, then we should not be forcing Brexit down people’s throats. The Social & Economic consequences do not merit it.

"

Sorry Sarah you are off the mark here.

The first independence referendum sparked a very healthy debate. A lot more folk are involved with politics now, and are seeing why voting NO was indeed a huge mistake. Don't believe everything you hear or read in the MSM. Divisive and bitter are politician soundbites.

As for the democracy issue. We have voted through a 2nd independence referendum through our parliament. What right does any PM have over us to say we aren't allowed to have it again?

We have not voted in a Tory government for decades yet still have to suffer them.

We did not vote for Brexit yet will suffer from it.

Poll tax? Bedroom tax? R**e clause? The disabled and poor being culled by the Tories all over the UK.

Where is the democracy in that?

We have enough resources to go it alone. David fkin Cameron even admitted it himself.

In fact can anyone make a positive case for the Union to exist? Other than oh its lasted over 300 years so why break it up now.

Bristol East

One of the great things for me about the 2014 referendum was how lowering the voting age to 16 got a whole new generation young people engaged in politics. That was great to see.

I'm Scottish, but I did not have a vote because I had moved to England in 2012. But I was back often enough and still have family there to understand how contentious it was.

I really hope the next ballot delivers a clear, decisive result.

There is nothing worse than a very narrow result either way, as Brexit illustrates. It resolves nothing.

"One of the great things for me about the 2014 referendum was how lowering the voting age to 16 got a whole new generation young people engaged in politics. That was great to see.

I'm Scottish, but I did not have a vote because I had moved to England in 2012. But I was back often enough and still have family there to understand how contentious it was.

I really hope the next ballot delivers a clear, decisive result.

There is nothing worse than a very narrow result either way, as Brexit illustrates. It resolves nothing.

"

Yes that was a great positive. And we gave the EU citizens the vote choice too. If it was down to Scots only if would have been a huge YES victory.

The EU and other UK citizens swayed it in NOs favour.

Yes it was contentious and still is but that is a very different phrase from divisive and bitter.

After being told to vote NO to preserve our EU status a lot of people have been duped.

Problem is this brexit farce is nowhere near conclusion (due to the UK government being so incompetent) so Sturgeon needs to wait before she pulls the trigger on another referendum.

Personally I think it's only a matter of time before Scotland leaves the UK. Might even get a United Ireland and an Independent Wales too. Westminster doesn't work for any of the nations now.

Bristol East

Your best bet is a public-schoolboy, hard-Brexit type in No. 10 - that will drive a real wedge into the Act of Union.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

" ... so when the SNP claim to be speaking for Scotland or the people of Scotland (as all national parties through history do), they are talking nonsense. They are speaking for a minority of the country."

Just as true for the Tories, UK wide. They speak for the minority. The members of their party - fewer in number than those of the SNP - will appoint a new PM soon; with no mandate from the electorate, to govern.

Independence for Scotland would, undoubtedly, have its difficulties; many of them significant. However, an independent Scotland would be an actual democracy, like Germany.

Not an excuse for one, like the UK.

That is a beauty right here.

Comparing our nuclear defence to a first aid box.

Scotland wants rid of it end of. There is nothing stopping it going down to England.

Would the mps fancy having it stored 10 miles from them? I live close to it and believe me, it's not fun at all. If anything goes wrong with that you lose Glasgow.

"Your best bet is a public-schoolboy, hard-Brexit type in No. 10 - that will drive a real wedge into the Act of Union.

"

Yep i think we know one in particular that fits the bill.

Bristol East

Missiles carrying nuclear warheads prevent what exactly?

If you ever needed to use them, it is the end of the country and the end of the civilian population.

They are un-usable.

And because you possess the power to commit genocide, all they do is make you a target for countries with the means to protect themselves from genocide.

Good luck finding a place in England to replicate Faslane and Coulport.

Bristol East

"Your best bet is a public-schoolboy, hard-Brexit type in No. 10 - that will drive a real wedge into the Act of Union.

Yep i think we know one in particular that fits the bill. "

Assuming the UK actually does leave the UK, my best hope of regaining my rights as a European citizen will be the ascension of Scotland to the EU. But I don't under-estimate the strife and grief that will need to be gone through to reach that point.

SNP have smashed the Euro elections.

This is a clear message, it's time for indyref2 .

"What about Faslane?

Would the mps fancy having it stored 10 miles from them? I live close to it and believe me, it's not fun at all. If anything goes wrong with that you lose Glasgow.

"

Have you seen the bunkers all around Faslane andCoulport? The whole of Europe would be lost. At least.

Bristol East

If you want to understand the lunacy that lies behind these bunkers, look no further than the General War Plan of the United States of America.

There is no provision for any sort of limited strike - only an all-out annihilation.

When a President (and a PM) press that button, every single warhead in the arsenal is fired, with no power to recall.

The objective is to obliterate every single centre of population in China and Russia (Yes, China, too).

Europe would be obliterated in the firestorm, regardless of any retaliatory strikes.

"SNP have smashed the Euro elections.

This is a clear message, it's time for indyref2 ."

Exciting isn't it, Scotland will have a chance to get away

This is a clear message, it's time for indyref2 ."

Yes it was good they won it and that is right this shows what they want

By *ess n BenCouple  over a year ago

Didcot

How do you work that one out

How do you work that one out "

I know it was too easy lol

glasgow

This is a clear message, it's time for indyref2 .Yes it was good they won it and that is right this shows what they want "

SNP specifically campaigned on the point that a vote for them was a vote against Brexit, not a vote for independence.

Bristol East

"

SNP specifically campaigned on the point that a vote for them was a vote against Brexit, not a vote for independence. "

The shrewdest move the SNP ever made was to separate their policy of independence from a vote for the SNP.

When I was growing up, it was assumed a mandate for independence would be the SNP winning a majority of seats in a Westminster election.

At some point - maybe in the 1990s, I cannot remember - the SNP tacked a referendum to its independence policy.

That allowed people to vote for the SNP safe in the knowledge they were not voting for independence - they would get a separate vote on that question.

And it allows Ms Sturgeon to position a vote for the SNP as an anti-Brexit vote rather than a pro-independence vote.

This is a clear message, it's time for indyref2 .Yes it was good they won it and that is right this shows what they want

SNP specifically campaigned on the point that a vote for them was a vote against Brexit, not a vote for independence. "

And the Tories campaigned that voting against the SNP was voting against Independence.

Its a clear message Scotland doesn't want brexit. Independence could be the only way to prevent it.

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

14.9 % of the electorate voted for the snp.

The turnout was less than 40%.

You cant say what Scotland wants on the basis of that

Heathrowish

This is a clear message, it's time for indyref2 .Yes it was good they won it and that is right this shows what they want

SNP specifically campaigned on the point that a vote for them was a vote against Brexit, not a vote for independence.

And the Tories campaigned that voting against the SNP was voting against Independence.

Its a clear message Scotland doesn't want brexit. Independence could be the only way to prevent it. "

It is quite clear the Scotland doesn't want to leave the area of control that is influenced by a much larger confederation of states.

Errr.....hold on

Since 2014 snp has won the scottish elections 2 general elections the council elections and now euro elections id say thats pretty emphatic and now for indy2 where they will win that too

glasgow

"

The shrewdest move the SNP ever made was to separate their policy of independence from a vote for the SNP.

When I was growing up, it was assumed a mandate for independence would be the SNP winning a majority of seats in a Westminster election.

At some point - maybe in the 1990s, I cannot remember - the SNP tacked a referendum to its independence policy.

That allowed people to vote for the SNP safe in the knowledge they were not voting for independence - they would get a separate vote on that question.

And it allows Ms Sturgeon to position a vote for the SNP as an anti-Brexit vote rather than a pro-independence vote.

"

The problem is, they claim before elections that a vote isn't for independence but then immediately after the election they say otherwise. And it happened again yesterday,

glasgow

"Since 2014 snp has won the scottish elections 2 general elections the council elections and now euro elections id say thats pretty emphatic and now for indy2 where they will win that too "

Since a peak vote in 2015 their share of the vote has been dropping.

"

Since a peak vote in 2015 their share of the vote has been dropping. "

By that logic less people voted for the Brexit party than they did for Brexit in 2016, clearly that means people don't want Brexit

You can't spin this one way without doing the same for your own. It just makes you look like a hypocrite.

glasgow

"

By that logic less people voted for the Brexit party than they did for Brexit in 2016, clearly that means people don't want Brexit

You can't spin this one way without doing the same for your own. It just makes you look like a hypocrite."

Not sure what you're own about, what do I need to spin for my own? I voted Lib Dem, what do I need to spin there?

I've just pointed out the facts, the SNP's vote share has been dropping in the last few elections.

Bristol East

"

I've just pointed out the facts, the SNP's vote share has been dropping in the last few elections. "

Scotland is a couple of years ahead of the UK, in the way the vote is evolving.

It's no longer about left and right, and beginning to divide on Yes and No.

Just as the rest of the UK is beginning to strain between Leave and Remain rather than left and right.

glasgow

"

I've just pointed out the facts, the SNP's vote share has been dropping in the last few elections.

Scotland is a couple of years ahead of the UK, in the way the vote is evolving.

It's no longer about left and right, and beginning to divide on Yes and No.

Just as the rest of the UK is beginning to strain between Leave and Remain rather than left and right.

"

I agree but I wouldn't say it's starting to divide between Yes and No, the process of division was complete a few years ago and now we're in an almost permanent paralysis where the constitutional question overshadows everything. The Scottish parliament has been at a virtual stand still.

Bristol East

Welcome to la la land.

Normal service will be resumed in . . . ten, nine, eight

The country is convulsing.

From the outside, it looks like a giant nervous breakdown.

I look into the kaleidoscope and I all see is bits and pieces in a blurry light.

It will stabilise one day. I just have no idea what it will look like when it does or how long it will take.

There are destabilising forces at work.

Lots of other countries have been through this.

Look at at the disintegration of the USSR and the Warsaw Pact states.

Yugoslavia.

Old ties break down and all hell is let loose.

Old enmities, old hatreds, old prejudices re-surface.

The United Kingdom is unstable.

glasgow

I wouldn't compare a 300 year old political union of countries to Yugoslavia or the the Soviet Union. There's a world of difference between them (thankfully).

No they are the only party that give the historical independence story all proud and stuff to be Scottish. Get independence and then what I ask you all? Have they told you how we would run as a country? What currency we would have? How it would effect our health services??? Anything at all?"

Funny Scotland did run as a country before the union and sure it could again.

The mood has changed up here and change is near I feel

Most people up here are like the rest of the UK so fed up with politics, they wish it would all just go away. But our FM has to push her agenda hard as she is running out of time before the next election. She is afraid the anti-independence movement is stalling , due mostly to the ineptness of her Transport ,education and law and order policies..So we have more of her posturing and hectoring ...God help us all most of us want is a quiet life

Bristol East

"I wouldn't compare a 300 year old political union of countries to Yugoslavia or the the Soviet Union. There's a world of difference between them (thankfully)."

Countries are artificial.

People are people.

They are the same the world over.

Given half a chance, plenty would knock six bells out of their neighbour for whatever petty grievance consumes them.

Ffs just get on with it!

I cannot wait for the day to arrive when Scotland is no longer represented in the UK Parliament. Let them take their pathetic leftist politicians to their own house and we can all point and laugh as they run their country to ruin.

Fuck em...

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Whilst I agree with every bit of the substance of what Sara says I also think BREXIT is a danger to our democracy. We have landed ourselves into the situation were people are calling our directly elected representatives undemocratic because they won't vote for something most of believe is going to very bad for their constituents and the country. If they succeed in stopping BREXIT those cries will no doubt get stronger and could totally undermine the very bases and trust that our Representative Democracy requires to work. However, on the other hand, if against their better judgment they back BREXIT and it turns out to as bad or worse than a lot of them believe it will be no excuse about 'the peoples will' will be accepted by the people and any MP who voted for it, and more so those that voted for it while actually believing that it would be a disaster, will to held accountable for failing to do their duty to vote for what they believe to be in the best interests of their constituents and the country, also ending up in undermining the bases of trust on which our representative democracy relies.

So yes, BREXIT is a threat to our democracy which ever way it finally goes.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Ffs just get on with it!

I cannot wait for the day to arrive when Scotland is no longer represented in the UK Parliament. Let them take their pathetic leftist politicians to their own house and we can all point and laugh as they run their country to ruin.

Fuck em..."

Northern Ireland too?

The Remain vote strengthened in the EU elections.

Who wants a United Kingdom anyway huh?

Far better a little England full of snarling, sweary, red necks.

glasgow

"I wouldn't compare a 300 year old political union of countries to Yugoslavia or the the Soviet Union. There's a world of difference between them (thankfully).

Countries are artificial.

People are people.

They are the same the world over.

Given half a chance, plenty would knock six bells out of their neighbour for whatever petty grievance consumes them.

"

That's a lazy statement and a false one. Different countries have formed in different ways and that makes many of them different in character (for want of a better word). Some have very artificial constructs and others are more natural with a homogenous population. Some were formed with the threat of force or after being conquered, others weren't. Some were slowly formed over the centuries, others were quickly formed in more recent times. Etc etc.

Lots of factors are at play and will impact on national identities and possible internal tensions.

Bristol East

There's plenty in Scotland - particularly in the west - who would resort to violence if their unionist identity was threatened.

Ayrshire

Recenty a bomb was sent to Glasgow University, it was not sent by Unionists but by nationalists!

Our First Minister and Justice Minister were silent.

Scotland is slowly becoming an Orwellian nightmare.

"Recenty a bomb was sent to Glasgow University, it was not sent by Unionists but by nationalists!

Scotland is slowly becoming an Orwellian nightmare. "

Evidence?

Fuck em..."

Yep some Union. Its ok to waste 40 years of our oil though eh.

Fuck em..."

Wow, not only are you racist but you hate the Scottish too, your well of hate goes deep.

"Recenty a bomb was sent to Glasgow University, it was not sent by Unionists but by nationalists!

Evidence?

"

evidence or is this more unionist scaremongering

"Since 2014 snp has won the scottish elections 2 general elections the council elections and now euro elections id say thats pretty emphatic and now for indy2 where they will win that too

Since a peak vote in 2015 their share of the vote has been dropping. "

And they are still getting more votes than labour and tories put together in every election,when indyref2 comes it will be a landslide for snp

Bristol East

Sajid, he say no

glasgow

"Since 2014 snp has won the scottish elections 2 general elections the council elections and now euro elections id say thats pretty emphatic and now for indy2 where they will win that too

And they are still getting more votes than labour and tories put together in every election,when indyref2 comes it will be a landslide for snp "

People who want indy vote for the SNP whereas those who don't share the indy obsession spread their votes among other parties.

However your point was also incorrect anyway. In the 2017 general election the combined Labour and Conservative vote was far higher than the SNP. It's also difficult to see how you can claim it's emphatic for indyref2 when yet again the pro indy parties can't achieve 50% of the vote. Nothing has changed.

Fuck em...

Northern Ireland too?

The Remain vote strengthened in the EU elections.

Who wants a United Kingdom anyway huh?

Far better a little England full of snarling, sweary, red necks."

I’d give Northern Ireland a while longer yet, for the sake of the loyalist Ulstermen and women. For me it’s time to get the blue out of our national flag.

Fuck em...

Wow, not only are you racist but you hate the Scottish too, your well of hate goes deep. "

Stupid accusation. I have never said I hated anyone because of their race. As for Scotland, I have family from Aberdeen and have nothing personally against them. I just hate the way they continually drag the UK to the left.

I do hope that I have clearly explained myself now. It’s all your going to get. Further accusations will be unanswered yet reported.

"

For me it’s time to get the blue out of our national flag."

What do you dislike about Scotland so much to want them out of the union?

By *xperimentalistMan  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Did the snp publish their funding for independence recently? They were due to.

Last time the figures were all based around being sustained by oil and gas. If we are all going to go green and stop using fossil fuels by 2050 or sooner then where will the money come from?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"

For me it’s time to get the blue out of our national flag.

What do you dislike about Scotland so much to want them out of the union? "

Too left wing, apparently- read his post.

Since a peak vote in 2015 their share of the vote has been 9dropping.

And they are still getting more votes than labour and tories put together in every election,when indyref2 comes it will be a landslide for snp

People who want indy vote for the SNP whereas those who don't share the indy obsession spread their votes among other parties.

However your point was also incorrect anyway. In the 2017 general election the combined Labour and Conservative vote was far higher than the SNP. It's also difficult to see how you can claim it's emphatic for indyref2 when yet again the pro indy parties can't achieve 50% of the vote. Nothing has changed."

Awe i really can feel your pain you just hate that the snp are doing so well,just a wee thought do you and your family take free prescriptions? Help with childcare ? Pay to go over bridges, bus passes ect or are you just a unionist hypocrite who will mever give snp credit for the good they have done for scotland

By *dam and slutCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Scotland. ..Mehh, more a holiday destination then a country...

Ayrshire

Evidence?

evidence or is this more unionist scaremongering"

Will the BBC be considered as acceptable evidence to you?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47474290

Evidence?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47474290

"

No

Ayrshire

Evidence?

No"

ITV news perhaps?

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-29/terror-police-appeal-to-postal-workers-over-parcel-bombs/

Evidence?

No

ITV news perhaps?

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-05-29/terror-police-appeal-to-postal-workers-over-parcel-bombs/"

Dont read links give us your evidence

Ayrshire

Two major broadcasters are not considered as evidence according to you.

Is there any source that you would consider as evidence?

glasgow

However your point was also incorrect anyway. In the 2017 general election the combined Labour and Conservative vote was far higher than the SNP. It's also difficult to see how you can claim it's emphatic for indyref2 when yet again the pro indy parties can't achieve 50% of the vote. Nothing has changed.

Awe i really can feel your pain you just hate that the snp are doing so well,just a wee thought do you and your family take free prescriptions? Help with childcare ? Pay to go over bridges, bus passes ect or are you just a unionist hypocrite who will mever give snp credit for the good they have done for scotland "

You're falling for their spin I'm afraid and ignoring the biggest issues a governmetn should be dealing with.

Education (apparently Nicola's priority) has gone backwards to the extent that they have taken us out of the international survey so we now can't compare eductation performance with the past or other countries. The Scottish Parliament's own education committee have been pretty scathing about this.

NHS continues to go backwards with no sign of the failings slowing down nevermind being reversed. I can post more detail on this if required but all the info is on the Scottish Govt website.

Higher education sees poorer students penalised at the expense of richer ones. Basically the grants for poorer students have been cut to fund 'free education' so they are forced into taking out loans whereas richer students don't need to and leave debt free. Student debt has doubled under the SNP and students are now leaving with far more debt than they did under the old system. It's ridiculous.

Funding to Councils has been cut massively. Between 2013 - 2018 the Scottish Government's budget reduced by 1.8% but the money they paid to Councils reduced by 7.1%.

This is just the start of their many failings. Could go on about the fiasco with the railways, the fiasco with the ferries, the various big conference policy announcements that never actually came to anything etc etc

"Two major broadcasters are not considered as evidence according to you.

Is there any source that you would consider as evidence? "

So you rely on other sources for your evidence

Awe i really can feel your pain you just hate that the snp are doing so well,just a wee thought do you and your family take free prescriptions? Help with childcare ? Pay to go over bridges, bus passes ect or are you just a unionist hypocrite who will mever give snp credit for the good they have done for scotland

You're falling for their spin I'm afraid and ignoring the biggest issues a governmetn should be dealing with.

Education (apparently Nicola's priority) has gone backwards to the extent that they have taken us out of the international survey so we now can't compare eductation performance with the past or other countries. The Scottish Parliament's own education committee have been pretty scathing about this.

NHS continues to go backwards with no sign of the failings slowing down nevermind being reversed. I can post more detail on this if required but all the info is on the Scottish Govt website.

Higher education sees poorer students penalised at the expense of richer ones. Basically the grants for poorer students have been cut to fund 'free education' so they are forced into taking out loans whereas richer students don't need to and leave debt free. Student debt has doubled under the SNP and students are now leaving with far more debt than they did under the old system. It's ridiculous.

Funding to Councils has been cut massively. Between 2013 - 2018 the Scottish Government's budget reduced by 1.8% but the money they paid to Councils reduced by 7.1%.

This is just the start of their many failings. Could go on about the fiasco with the railways, the fiasco with the ferries, the various big conference policy announcements that never actually came to anything etc etc"

Well it seems all the ppl who continually vote for them disagree with you if they were that bad they would be out,who do you think can do a better job ?

glasgow

This is just the start of their many failings. Could go on about the fiasco with the railways, the fiasco with the ferries, the various big conference policy announcements that never actually came to anything etc etc

Well it seems all the ppl who continually vote for them disagree with you if they were that bad they would be out,who do you think can do a better job ?"

People vote for them because they want independence. If they voted solely on their record they'd be long gone. Any of the other parties would do a better job, even Labour who are an utter shambles. Evidence of this? The fact that all the areas I spoke about above were better prior to the SNP coming to power.

Well it seems all the ppl who continually vote for them disagree with you if they were that bad they would be out,who do you think can do a better job ?

People vote for them because they want independence. If they voted solely on their record they'd be long gone. Any of the other parties would do a better job, even Labour who are an utter shambles. Evidence of this? The fact that all the areas I spoke about above were better prior to the SNP coming to power."

Thats your opinion which you are entitled too im sure if they were not doing a good job they would be out snp have done more for scotland in 12yrs than labour did in 80 thats why they are an irrelevance in scottish politics now

Bristol East

"

People vote for them because they want independence. If they voted solely on their record they'd be long gone..

"

I voted SNP in 2006 and 2010, I think it was.

It was not a vote for independence.

I knew that was a separate vote.

Labour in Scotland, Labour in the UK, had totally left me.

The SNP turned up promising to be true Labour.

I voted for them because of that.

Ayrshire

So you rely on other sources for your evidence"

Thank you for deliberately ignoring a simple question and responding with a ridiculous interpretation.

I take it you are a separatist, its a known trait of theirs.

Thank you for deliberately ignoring a simple question and responding with a ridiculous interpretation.

I take it you are a separatist, its a known trait of theirs. "

So you have no evidence of your own ? Im a scottish Republican cant wait to be independent and also get rid of the royals too

" Im a scottish Republican cant wait to be independent and also get rid of the royals too "

Just curious, does an independent Scotland in your view mean joining the EU?

" Im a scottish Republican cant wait to be independent and also get rid of the royals too

Just curious, does an independent Scotland in your view mean joining the EU?"

Yes as we were European before we were part of the union

"

Yes as we were European before we were part of the union"

Not very independent then really.

"

Yes as we were European before we were part of the union

Not very independent then really. "

Lots of independent countries in the eu

"

Lots of independent countries in the eu"

Haha, you're just swapping one Union for another.

I'm not a Unionist by the way, I fully support the right for the people of Scotland to have a vote on independence. I hope its successful.

"

Lots of independent countries in the eu

Haha, you're just swapping one Union for another.

I'm not a Unionist by the way, I fully support the right for the people of Scotland to have a vote on independence. I hope its successful. "

The differnce is we would have a say about things in the eu wheras in this so called union we are totally ignored with no say in anything

A say in what exactly? Adopting the Euro? The EU has already made clear that new member states have to adopt the Euro if they want to join the European Union.

"A say in what exactly? Adopting the Euro? The EU has already made clear that new member states have to adopt the Euro if they want to join the European Union. "

A say in everything unlike the uk where we are continually snubbed as for the euro id take that no probs

"A say in what exactly? Adopting the Euro? The EU has already made clear that new member states have to adopt the Euro if they want to join the European Union. "
does the uk use the euro? Bulgaria,denmark ,sweden,croatia,_omania,hungary poland dont use the euro so thats that myth put to rest

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Let the people decide.

However referendums do get bogged down somewhat as evidenced by the Brexit shit show.

Ayrshire

So you have no evidence of your own ? Im a scottish Republican cant wait to be independent and also get rid of the royals too "

A Scottish/Irish republican?

Bristol East

I get the need for a referendum before Scotland can leave one union, the United Kingdom.

Surely there would need to be another referendum before Scotland to apply to join another union, the EU?

Or do you see the two questions being asked in the same ballot?

"A say in what exactly? Adopting the Euro? The EU has already made clear that new member states have to adopt the Euro if they want to join the European Union. does the uk use the euro? Bulgaria,denmark ,sweden,croatia,_omania,hungary poland dont use the euro so thats that myth put to rest"

No myth. The EU is very clear about new nations adopting the Euro. Those countries apart from Denmark and the UK have to adopt the Euro in the future. No ifs or buts. Google is your friend.

So you have no evidence of your own ? Im a scottish Republican cant wait to be independent and also get rid of the royals too "

What’s the connection between postal bombs thought to have been sent by New IRA and Scotland’s independence?

So you have no evidence of your own ? Im a scottish Republican cant wait to be independent and also get rid of the royals too

A Scottish/Irish republican?"

No just scottish

Heathrowish

"A say in what exactly? Adopting the Euro? The EU has already made clear that new member states have to adopt the Euro if they want to join the European Union. does the uk use the euro? Bulgaria,denmark ,sweden,croatia,_omania,hungary poland dont use the euro so thats that myth put to rest"

But any country joining the EU now (not entrants who joined before that rule was instituted in the EU constitution) has to adopt the EU and the governance of the European Central Bank

Bristol East

In principle, states joining the EU also need to join the Euro. But in practice there is no timescale set for this.

In any event, a new member has to meet certain criteria before being allowed into the Euro.

Meeting those criteria is not a condition of membership, only a commitment to strive towards them by an unspecified date.

Chudleigh

All we have to do is Revoke Article 50 and we ‘take back control’! All our rights, privileges and benefits are restored and we have a place at the table again.

"All we have to do is Revoke Article 50 and we ‘take back control’! All our rights, privileges and benefits are restored and we have a place at the table again."

In a more weakened position than we've ever been in. Great idea. What prevented Britain adopting the Euro and further integration? The threat of us leaving. Now if we were to go back with our tail between our legs they'll just call our bluff.

"Please sir, can I have some more"

It's startling how blinded you remainers are. You seem to totally disregard the fact that Britain has been the country which has always been against the further integration Germany and France want.

Chudleigh

"All we have to do is Revoke Article 50 and we ‘take back control’! All our rights, privileges and benefits are restored and we have a place at the table again.

In a more weakened position than we've ever been in. Great idea. What prevented Britain adopting the Euro and further integration? The threat of us leaving. Now if we were to go back with our tail between our legs they'll just call our bluff.

"Please sir, can I have some more"

It's startling how blinded you remainers are. You seem to totally disregard the fact that Britain has been the country which has always been against the further integration Germany and France want.

"

You claim incredible insight, but fail in your commentary. We wouldn’t be weaker, we’d be back where we were, same opportunities, same challenges so we wouldn’t be any weaker than we are now or if a No Deal happened.

If Leavers genuinely wanted to be in the strongest negotiating position for either Leave or Stay, we’d Revoke Article 50. Where we currently stand, we have no cards left. This is not the EUs fault, it is sheer, utter, criminal incompetence from the Tory’s, especially ERG.

"All we have to do is Revoke Article 50 and we ‘take back control’! All our rights, privileges and benefits are restored and we have a place at the table again."

glasgow

"

People vote for them because they want independence. If they voted solely on their record they'd be long gone..

I voted SNP in 2006 and 2010, I think it was.

It was not a vote for independence.

I knew that was a separate vote.

Labour in Scotland, Labour in the UK, had totally left me.

The SNP turned up promising to be true Labour.

I voted for them because of that.

"

Yes but that's not refuting my point in any way. In 2019 the SNP have been in power for 12 years, the past 8 years of which they've been a mjaority govt. We've also had the indepedence referendum in 2014 which changed a lot. We can now see how they perform is government.

As I say, their record is shockingly bad but people will vote for them anyway as they know it's the only hope they have for indy. More and more online, and in real life conversations, outwith the true believers you hear people talking about voting SNP to get indy and then voting for another (almost always unspecified) party post independence. SNP are seen by many as a means to an end and for that reason they aren't being judged by their record in government.

glasgow

People vote for them because they want independence. If they voted solely on their record they'd be long gone. Any of the other parties would do a better job, even Labour who are an utter shambles. Evidence of this? The fact that all the areas I spoke about above were better prior to the SNP coming to power.

Thats your opinion which you are entitled too im sure if they were not doing a good job they would be out snp have done more for scotland in 12yrs than labour did in 80 thats why they are an irrelevance in scottish politics now "

Ther performance information isn't my opnion, that is stated fact. Which parties would do better comes down to opinion and conjecture though. Your point about the SNP doing more for Scotland can be proven to be untrue by looking at the information I posted above and you can use the Scottish Govt's own stats to look at the details, all of those areas are worse under the SNP than they were when they came to power.

I have done a new thread we can continue on

"

If Leavers genuinely wanted to be in the strongest negotiating position for either Leave or Stay, we’d Revoke Article 50. Where we currently stand, we have no cards left. This is not the EUs fault, it is sheer, utter, criminal incompetence from the Tory’s, especially ERG.

"

It's pretty naive to believe that our steadfast desire against further integration wouldn't be tested time and time again until we eventually caved or were booted out.

Also the strongest position possible for us after the referendum was to delay article 50 until we had fortified our economy and invested in our infrastructure before coming to the table. This would of put us in a much stronger position as we could of walked away without a deal with minimal disruption.

Unfortunately we had a Remainer in charge which time and time again did her best to push through a deal nobody wanted.

Chudleigh

"

It's pretty naive to believe that our steadfast desire against further integration wouldn't be tested time and time again until we eventually caved or were booted out.

Also the strongest position possible for us after the referendum was to delay article 50 until we had fortified our economy and invested in our infrastructure before coming to the table. This would of put us in a much stronger position as we could of walked away without a deal with minimal disruption.

Unfortunately we had a Remainer in charge which time and time again did her best to push through a deal nobody wanted. "

So when a Brexiteer Revokes Article 50 to give us a stronger negotiating position you’ll support that?

"I have done a new thread we can continue on "

Fab... We can discuss this till the day the sun don't shine

unicorn island

Thats your opinion which you are entitled too im sure if they were not doing a good job they would be out snp have done more for scotland in 12yrs than labour did in 80 thats why they are an irrelevance in scottish politics now

Ther performance information isn't my opnion, that is stated fact. Which parties would do better comes down to opinion and conjecture though. Your point about the SNP doing more for Scotland can be proven to be untrue by looking at the information I posted above and you can use the Scottish Govt's own stats to look at the details, all of those areas are worse under the SNP than they were when they came to power."

Impressed