FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > PR instead of FPTP?

PR instead of FPTP?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Given the relative lack of movement in positions of the voting public indicated by the european election results (Scotland notwithstanding) is there an appetite for Proportional Representation to replace First Past The Post in order to get a more representative parliament than the present dysfunctional one?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Seems to work for the Germans. It works up here, too; though we are still shackled to the rotting corpse of Westminster. That's our own fault of course.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The only election in the UK still adhering to First Past the Post is Westminster.

Every other institution, every other democratic body, has moved to something fairer.

We had a referendum.

When was that, 2012?

60- odd per cent said no to change.

I wish every referendum was as clear cut.

It kills the question stone dead.

No argument.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

The two man parties will not change the system as they would lose out so will not change

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

FPTP means about 80% of the population have power some of the time.

Over the long run that may appear fair.

And I think people are okay with having power every so often.

I dislike the swings it creates tho. Governments just spend time under doing the thing the last government did.

I prefer a form of PR not because of fairness. But because it creates collaboration. Which modifies the extremes and seeks consesus.

If we had that form of politics now, I'd imagine we'd be out of the eu.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

If I recall, if we had PR, Labour would have won every election since ww2 by a considerable majority.

I may be wrong, though. It's been a while since the vote.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I do not think that is true at all.

Proportional representation usually leads to the formation of coalitions.

We like to think of General Elections as a national election.

In one sense they are not.

They are 650 individual elections.

A candidate can with an election with, say, 30 per cent of the vote.

That propels a candidate into the House of Commons, leaving the other 70 per cent of votes discarded at the boundary of the constituency.

General Elections are fought on a national basis, but the system means the votes are counted only on a local basis.

Most people's votes do not count in the final outcome.

"I do not think that is true at all.

That propels a candidate into the House of Commons, leaving the other 70 per cent of votes discarded at the boundary of the constituency.

General Elections are fought on a national basis, but the system means the votes are counted only on a local basis.

"

Which to my mind is why we have the situation we are currently in where many people outside the metropolitan areas feel disenfranchised and fall prey to rabble rousers like Farage and those shouty types who always know best. I believe centrist social democracy will disappear in the next few years, as the zealots of Brexit at any cost are hell bent on the destruction of the welfare state. The nhs will never get its £350 million a week but an awful lot if insurance and stock brokers look set for a massive payday! 12 years of shitty austerity has brought us to this point....I wonder how many more years the nhs has got and how long it will take the general public to realise that they have been fucked by the upper middle management?

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Which to my mind is why we have the situation we are currently in where many people outside the metropolitan areas feel disenfranchised and fall prey to rabble rousers like Farage and those shouty types who always know best. I believe centrist social democracy will disappear in the next few years, as the zealots of Brexit at any cost are hell bent on the destruction of the welfare state. The nhs will never get its £350 million a week but an awful lot if insurance and stock brokers look set for a massive payday! 12 years of shitty austerity has brought us to this point....I wonder how many more years the nhs has got and how long it will take the general public to realise that they have been fucked by the upper middle management? "

Do you really think any political party is going to fuck with the NHS? it would be political suicide they would never be forgiven and they all know it.Just labour propaganda because they love to think they own the NHS.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Which to my mind is why we have the situation we are currently in where many people outside the metropolitan areas feel disenfranchised and fall prey to rabble rousers like Farage and those shouty types who always know best. I believe centrist social democracy will disappear in the next few years, as the zealots of Brexit at any cost are hell bent on the destruction of the welfare state. The nhs will never get its £350 million a week but an awful lot if insurance and stock brokers look set for a massive payday! 12 years of shitty austerity has brought us to this point....I wonder how many more years the nhs has got and how long it will take the general public to realise that they have been fucked by the upper middle management? Do you really think any political party is going to fuck with the NHS? it would be political suicide they would never be forgiven and they all know it.Just labour propaganda because they love to think they own the NHS."

I think you’ll find the Tory,’s did for the past 8/9 years. Nigel is quite clear he’d allow competition to the NHS.

Which to my mind is why we have the situation we are currently in where many people outside the metropolitan areas feel disenfranchised and fall prey to rabble rousers like Farage and those shouty types who always know best. I believe centrist social democracy will disappear in the next few years, as the zealots of Brexit at any cost are hell bent on the destruction of the welfare state. The nhs will never get its £350 million a week but an awful lot if insurance and stock brokers look set for a massive payday! 12 years of shitty austerity has brought us to this point....I wonder how many more years the nhs has got and how long it will take the general public to realise that they have been fucked by the upper middle management? Do you really think any political party is going to fuck with the NHS? it would be political suicide they would never be forgiven and they all know it.Just labour propaganda because they love to think they own the NHS."

Yes I am afraid I do think that - if Farage gets his way healthcare will become a commodity rather than a right except in its most basic form. Why do you say its labour propaganda? Wheres your evidence for that? Do tell

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Which to my mind is why we have the situation we are currently in where many people outside the metropolitan areas feel disenfranchised and fall prey to rabble rousers like Farage and those shouty types who always know best. I believe centrist social democracy will disappear in the next few years, as the zealots of Brexit at any cost are hell bent on the destruction of the welfare state. The nhs will never get its £350 million a week but an awful lot if insurance and stock brokers look set for a massive payday! 12 years of shitty austerity has brought us to this point....I wonder how many more years the nhs has got and how long it will take the general public to realise that they have been fucked by the upper middle management? Do you really think any political party is going to fuck with the NHS? it would be political suicide they would never be forgiven and they all know it.Just labour propaganda because they love to think they own the NHS.

Yes I am afraid I do think that - if Farage gets his way healthcare will become a commodity rather than a right except in its most basic form. Why do you say its labour propaganda? Wheres your evidence for that? Do tell "

Just watch parliamentary question time they are always banging on about it even when the tories are boosting it by 20 billion.

» Add a new message to this topic