FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > National crisis

National crisis

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Regardless of your political position we are in a crisis.

Very interesting Start the Week with Jared Diamond comparing national crises to individual ones

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005mq4

Some really interesting facts about how Finland came through a genuinely conscious civil war.

The biggest factor is honestly viewing the situation as it is,not how you would like it to be.

I suspect that those with the strongest opinions won't listen

I'd recommend his book Germs, Guns and Steel which gives a very plausible narrative on why Asia and then Europe reached their dominant positions in the world.

Nothing to do with any image superiority...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

His second book Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

Is a worthy follow up. Surprised to see his name mentioned on a swingers site of all places

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Pleasant surprise, though. It was a good bit of radio. He was on Hard Talk, too.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"His second book Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

Is a worthy follow up. Surprised to see his name mentioned on a swingers site of all places "

sounds an interesting read thanks for posting

West London

Is a worthy follow up. Surprised to see his name mentioned on a swingers site of all places sounds an interesting read thanks for posting"

Did you listen to the program?

Is a worthy follow up. Surprised to see his name mentioned on a swingers site of all places sounds an interesting read thanks for posting

Did you listen to the program?"

Sorry, I haven't had the time I have booked marked the page though. I have a few hours Wednesday after the gym so I'll have a listen then.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Some national crisis when the Conservative Party decides to suspend any semblance of governance so it can indulge in a beauty parade.

"We made a mistake in 2016 so we decided to have another a vote."

Hmmmm.

The "we" being 313 MPs and 120,000 blue rinses in the shires.

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

It is delusional to believe that

1. a new PM will solve the Brexit impasse

2. if we have another referendum, the result in percentage terms would give a decisive result either way

3. an election would result in a strong and stable government of either the left or the right

4. that the world is going to end as a result of Brexit, the Tories, Momentum Labour, Scottish Nationalism etc

West London

"It is delusional to believe that

2. if we have another referendum, the result in percentage terms would give a decisive result either way

3. an election would result in a strong and stable government of either the left or the right

4. that the world is going to end as a result of Brexit, the Tories, Momentum Labour, Scottish Nationalism etc"

The main thread of this book/program is to take an honest look at the situation.

So you think that you have done that? Regardless of putting yourself in opposition to any other individual or group.

What are the pros and cons of any course of action?

From your analysis this entire course of action from the referendum will lead only to failure.

West London

4. that the world is going to end as a result of Brexit, the Tories, Momentum Labour, Scottish Nationalism etc

The main thread of this book/program is to take an honest look at the situation.

So you think that you have done that? Regardless of putting yourself in opposition to any other individual or group.

What are the pros and cons of any course of action?

From your analysis this entire course of action from the referendum will lead only to failure."

In fact, forget Brexit. Do we, as individuals, have an unrealistic expectation of the services we expect from the state at an unsustainable cost to us in tax?

Do we appreciate the position of privilege that we have relative to most people in the world?

Do we understand basic maths and debt and interest well enough to make adult decisions? Why are we so willing to uncritically believe undeliverable promises?

Listened to the discussion on the way home from work. Very interesting indeed and something I would recommend to anyone as it's only 40 minutes long.

The handling of Brexit has been a failure but only we are to blame for this. No one on either side was willing to compromise or listen.

New leadership isn't going to deliver the Brexit that's going to bring together both sides.

It's a shame they skimmed over the debt of developed nations as a recession bigger than the one in 2008 is on it's way. That it going to have a much more damaging impact than Brexit on an international scale.

Economically and socially, it could potentially be the change that we will never recover from without extreme measures.

Thanks for posting Easy, I've never listened to the podcast before.

"Listened to the discussion on the way home from work. Very interesting indeed and something I would recommend to anyone as it's only 40 minutes long.

The handling of Brexit has been a failure but only we are to blame for this. No one on either side was willing to compromise or listen.

New leadership isn't going to deliver the Brexit that's going to bring together both sides.

It's a shame they skimmed over the debt of developed nations as a recession bigger than the one in 2008 is on it's way. That it going to have a much more damaging impact than Brexit on an international scale.

Economically and socially, it could potentially be the change that we will never recover from without extreme measures.

Thanks for posting Easy, I've never listened to the podcast before. "

Recessions are part and parcel of capitalism the real problem is 21st century ideology of trying to stop them and keep alive failed businesses and business models and top of that list is clearly banking.

"

Recessions are part and parcel of capitalism the real problem is 21st century ideology of trying to stop them and keep alive failed businesses and business models and top of that list is clearly banking."

I'm not disputing that. What I am saying is the next one is going to be much more damaging and no one is talking about how to prevent it.

Bristol East

"

Recessions are part and parcel of capitalism the real problem is 21st century ideology of trying to stop them and keep alive failed businesses and business models and top of that list is clearly banking."

The credit crunch of 2008, had governments not stepped in, was heading towards a global catastrophe much, much worse than the 1928 crash.

In the US, the Republican party was hamstrung - many opposed state intervention for ideological reasons. Dubya only got his bailout through with help from the Democrats.

The entire financial system was on the verge of collapse.

Bank balance sheets had ballooned to such a size they were greater than the GDP of their home country.

Social Democrats in Europe and the US prevented a complete rout by stepping in with state guarantees and bailouts.

The alternative would have laid waste to modern economies.

By comparison, the political tumult we are living through today might be considered the lesser of two evils.

"

Recessions are part and parcel of capitalism the real problem is 21st century ideology of trying to stop them and keep alive failed businesses and business models and top of that list is clearly banking.

The credit crunch of 2008, had governments not stepped in, was heading towards a global catastrophe much, much worse than the 1928 crash.

In the US, the Republican party was hamstrung - many opposed state intervention for ideological reasons. Dubya only got his bailout through with help from the Democrats.

The entire financial system was on the verge of collapse.

Bank balance sheets had ballooned to such a size they were greater than the GDP of their home country.

Social Democrats in Europe and the US prevented a complete rout by stepping in with state guarantees and bailouts.

The alternative would have laid waste to modern economies.

By comparison, the political tumult we are living through today might be considered the lesser of two evils."

I absolutely disagree with that narrative which frankly is pushed constantly by the mainstream media, plenty of banks would have survived and an awful lot who's business plans were unsustainable would have failed, five years of recession/depression and the whole system would have reset to exactly where the market suggests it should be.

The social democrats as you put it haven't saved anything from disaster, all they've done is delay it to an even bigger mess and personally I think that's because they have to many feelings and not enough reality pragmatism.

Bristol East

I can just imagine people shrugging their shoulders when the cash machines stopped working.

West London

"Listened to the discussion on the way home from work. Very interesting indeed and something I would recommend to anyone as it's only 40 minutes long.

Thanks for posting Easy, I've never listened to the podcast before. "

You are welcome. Invitations to take in half an hour's worth of information is not very frequently taken on this site.

Why are you not being a dick like in the other threads you've posted in?

Now I don't know if you really are a supercilious racist numpty or if you were just being provocative.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt because I'm nice like that

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

4. that the world is going to end as a result of Brexit, the Tories, Momentum Labour, Scottish Nationalism etc"

Yes very delusional

West London

Do you have an opinion on the actual content of the program?

» Add a new message to this topic