FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Law and Politics

Law and Politics

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

A lot of people on here have demonstrated a very confused understanding of the relationship between law and politics so this series is certainly worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00057m8

The first half of the second programme gives a good interpretation of how representative democracy functions and why referenda cause an irreconcilable paradox with it.

The second part of the same talk makes a strong argument against the overstretch of the ECHR.

All very interesting.

However, as it runs contrary to many people's opinions I'm sure those with strong views won't listen

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

West London

Oh, the lectures are by Lord Sumption, the former Chief Justice of the UK Supreme Court.

He has some experience

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

The Reith Lectures are always interesting. Good ones this year. Last years on war, by Margaret MacMillan, were well worth a listen, too.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Oh, the lectures are by Lord Sumption, the former Chief Justice of the UK Supreme Court.

He has some experience "

He’s a twat

West London

"Oh, the lectures are by Lord Sumption, the former Chief Justice of the UK Supreme Court.

He has some experience

He’s a twat"

Why?

Did you listen to any of the lectures?

I know what I'm listening to on the train tomorrow

Read some of his thoughts on how achieving gender equality in the legal workplace would stop men from applying - talk about old-school white, male, entitled privilege - women shoukd not be promoted because men won’t like it !

It’s no wonder that no progress is ever made, with men like him in positions of power and influence actively working to hold women back

Shocking yet not surprising

"Read some of his thoughts on how achieving gender equality in the legal workplace would stop men from applying - talk about old-school white, male, entitled privilege - women shoukd not be promoted because men won’t like it !

It’s no wonder that no progress is ever made, with men like him in positions of power and influence actively working to hold women back

Shocking yet not surprising "

What's he said you disagree with.

West London

"Read some of his thoughts on how achieving gender equality in the legal workplace would stop men from applying - talk about old-school white, male, entitled privilege - women shoukd not be promoted because men won’t like it !

Shocking yet not surprising "

Actually he covers this in one of the lectures and gives his reasons for it. He didn't say anything about women not being promoted. Becoming a judge takes experience and knowledge. That takes time to acquire. Quite simply, it takes time for consequences of changes in the system to work through. You should also be in no doubt that the judiciary is in crisis. A Senior Judges takes a substantial pay cut from being a practising barrister. It is one of the few roles in society which people make a very real financial sacrifice to pursue. Recruitment is already a very significant problem regardless of gender or background.

There is rather more beyond the headlines and sound bites.

Actually he covers this in one of the lectures and gives his reasons for it. He didn't say anything about women not being promoted. Becoming a judge takes experience and knowledge. That takes time to acquire. Quite simply, it takes time for consequences of changes in the system to work through. You should also be in no doubt that the judiciary is in crisis. A Senior Judges takes a substantial pay cut from being a practising barrister. It is one of the few roles in society which people make a very real financial sacrifice to pursue. Recruitment is already a very significant problem regardless of gender or background.

There is rather more beyond the headlines and sound bites."

Quite aware of issues facing the judiciary and the legal profession at large, having until recently been a member of the latter. But thank you for pointing it out - any crisis in the system will affect the general public and their ability to access their legal rights

West London

Quite aware of issues facing the judiciary and the legal profession at large, having until recently been a member of the latter. But thank you for pointing it out - any crisis in the system will affect the general public and their ability to access their legal rights

"

So what is your point?

Did you listen to the talk or do you "know" already?

So what is your point?

Did you listen to the talk or do you "know" already?"

Appears you do - go ahead, answer for me x

West London

So what is your point?

Appears you do - go ahead, answer for me x"

I have no idea what you want to say other than you don't like Lord Sumption because you think he's sexist but haven't listened to the lecture.

You are a very clever legal person but don't want to share the profound information that you have.

Thanks for contributing

So what is your point?

I have no idea what you want to say other than you don't like Lord Sumption because you think he's sexist but haven't listened to the lecture.

You are a very clever legal person but don't want to share the profound information that you have.

Thanks for contributing "

Hate to disabuse you of this, but just because you expect me to do something, doesn’t mean I’m obligated to complyp. You didn’t appreciate my contribution to your thread so yes, while I could add more I don’t appreciate your aggressive tone towards me. And for the record, nowhere have I said Lord Sumption is sexist.

West London

So what is your point?

Thanks for contributing

Hate to disabuse you of this, but just because you expect me to do something, doesn’t mean I’m obligated to complyp. You didn’t appreciate my contribution to your thread so yes, while I could add more I don’t appreciate your aggressive tone towards me. And for the record, nowhere have I said Lord Sumption is sexist. "

Then what have you said or contributed? Anything at all?

You started off by saying he was a twat. Very informative.

Then you said he had archaic views on women but is apparently not sexist.

Then you said that you know all about the law and the judiciary.

You did not actually listen to the podcast but are upset that I'm calling you out on it.

Don't post if you're not interested

Why are you so cross/aggressive?

West London

"Why are you so cross/aggressive?"

Cross, not aggressive.

You didn't listen to the program did you? So why comment so negatively with zero unsupported opinion? Then describe sexism bit claim you weren't calling him sexist because you didn't use the specific word.

Why did you even feel the need to post?

Do I need your approval/permission?

West London

"Do I need your approval/permission?"

No.

Why are you posting about something you haven't listened to though?

Simple enough question.

Because I can ....

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Because I can ...."

And with that we then wonder why the art of constructive debate has died .

West London

"Because I can ....

And with that we then wonder why the art of constructive debate has died . "

So about the programme?

I still think that it was interesting...

» Add a new message to this topic