Rockall

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ore of that OP   Man  over a year ago

skerries

Anyone and thoughts on fishing near the rock

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Lots of obscure species living at depth there. You'll need a very long net.

skerries

Scottish government going to arrest fishermen from Ireland. Who they say are illegally fishing near the rock

The cheek of them

Bristol East

Rockall has long between a political dispute between the UK and Ireland over its sovereignty.

Not just the fishing, but the rights to the oil west of Shetland on the continental shelf, too.

Administratively a part of Scotland.

skerries

[Removed by poster at 10/06/19 13:06:56]

skerries

So rock on Rockall you'll never fall .into Britains greedy hand or they'll meet the same resistance that they met in many lands .let the seagulls fly above their heads and the cold waves last your shores.and the natural gas may burn your arse and blow you all to hell

skerries

[Removed by poster at 10/06/19 13:18:41]

skerries

Irish fishing boats have every right to fish off The rock .it's common European law...Your not out of there yet.....and the Scots know they are leaving it .even though they dont want to ...Nicola sturgen should make her mind up ..the Irish intend to stay fishing ..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

From what I've read the Irish have no right to fish the rock.

Scotland flexing its muscle and staking out its territory plays well to those who favour independence.

That rock is a long long way way from Donegal though .

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Assemble the task force.

Cod wars 2.0.

skerries

It's as far from Scotland .distance is not the issue..it's European law ....the empire is long gone .gb is not the power it was hundreds of years pillaging around the world taking every thing ..as for distance .the Falklands is really close to gb isn't it

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"It's as far from Scotland .distance is not the issue..it's European law ....the empire is long gone .gb is not the power it was hundreds of years pillaging around the world taking every thing ..as for distance .the Falklands is really close to gb isn't it"

Distance is an issue but not the only issue. Iceland and Denmark also have claims to the rock.

What I don't understand is why the Scottish Government is raising this. Matters of territory and sovereignty are reserved for the UK Government. Someone in Scotland is playing dangerous games.

skerries

It's all about what UK government think is under the water ..oil.gas. they are not bothered about the fish ...

It's called grab all greed

Well UK . Your not going to win this one

North Bucks

"It's all about what UK government think is under the water ..oil.gas. they are not bothered about the fish ...

Well UK . Your not going to win this one"

See you in court

Bristol East

"

What I don't understand is why the Scottish Government is raising this. Matters of territory and sovereignty are reserved for the UK Government. Someone in Scotland is playing dangerous games.

"

Fisheries is a devolved issue.

North Bucks

Hands off our periwinkles!!!

Widnes

"It's all about what UK government think is under the water ..oil.gas. they are not bothered about the fish ...

Unless you know the bases of all claims being made, including Iceland's and Denmark's, it's not possible to say who has the best claim. The geographic claim (distance) is a strong case and probably the only one most people could asses for themselves. Looking at it on a map it definitely looks like it falls well within British/Scottish waters. What is the bases of the Irish claim?

Whoever is nearest should get it and that's Scotland.The United Kingdom claimed Rockall in 1955 and incorporated it as a part of Scotland in 1972.The Irish have never claimed it .

You snooze you lose.

Bristol East

270 miles from Ireland and 230 miles from Scotland (the Western Isles) apparently

Widnes

"

Fisheries is a devolved issue.

"

But sovereignty and territory is definitely not. Who has responsibility for fisheries protection? I'd have thought ultimately that would be The Royal Navy, which would make it a UK matter but I'm not sure.

There are fishery protection vessels that check catches etc. If it escalated it would be the rn !

Widnes

"Whoever is nearest should get it and that's Scotland.The United Kingdom claimed Rockall in 1955 and incorporated it as a part of Scotland in 1972.The Irish have never claimed it .

You snooze you lose.

"

Not quite; the Irish have never officially accepted the British Government's claim to the rock. Which indirectly means they have upheld their own claim to it.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Well UK . Your not going to win this one

See you in court "

Mackerel at twenty paces..

A la monty python..

Actually, no fishing by anyone would be much better, given that over population is wiping out species of sea life

in Lancashire

I actually met an ex TA special forces who camped out on it years ago to 'claim it' for Her Maj..

He was a bit of an eccentric..

"I actually met an ex TA special forces who camped out on it years ago to 'claim it' for Her Maj..

He was a bit of an eccentric.. "

No!.. Was he?!

Denmark has the best claim...cause Vikings.

Someone get me a long boat and a Dane axe, björk, björk, björk

"Denmark has the best claim...cause Vikings.

Someone get me a long boat and a Dane axe, björk, björk, björk"

Have look at pics of it mate! Good luck with the cliff face when you invade

Bristol East

"

But sovereignty and territory is definitely not. Who has responsibility for fisheries protection? I'd have thought ultimately that would be The Royal Navy, which would make it a UK matter but I'm not sure.

"

Territory is reserved, yes. If there was a dispute about territorial sovereignty, it would be between the UK and whomsoever else.

No, this is about who is allowed to fish where (which is a pretty complex subject itself).

In Scotland, the statutory body for policing fisheries is Marine Scotland, which has a fleet of vessels and aircraft.

It all comes under the jurisdiction of EU law, so no need for the military to get involved in any dispute between member states.

"Denmark has the best claim...cause Vikings.

Someone get me a long boat and a Dane axe, björk, björk, björk

Have look at pics of it mate! Good luck with the cliff face when you invade "

Hey is done Greenpeace activists got up there with a tent, pretty sure I can

in Lancashire

"I actually met an ex TA special forces who camped out on it years ago to 'claim it' for Her Maj..

He was a bit of an eccentric..

No!.. Was he?! "

he was a proper fruit loop..

skerries

Law states if it is unhabital.then it is nobody's. Just a rock ...12 miles exclusion zone is a bit far fetched .it's about the gas and oil

Greedy as usual . One thing for sure the government in London won't agree on ANY thing ...bring on Boris. He will sort it out will probably send in the marines

Widnes

"

Territory is reserved, yes. If there was a dispute about territorial sovereignty, it would be between the UK and whomsoever else.

No, this is about who is allowed to fish where (which is a pretty complex subject itself).

In Scotland, the statutory body for policing fisheries is Marine Scotland, which has a fleet of vessels and aircraft.

It all comes under the jurisdiction of EU law, so no need for the military to get involved in any dispute between member states.

"

Great, no need to get the guns out until November then.

Next problem!

Bristol East

" ...bring on Boris. He will sort it out will probably send in the marines "

Been there, done that.

Royal Navy landed two marines and a naturalist.

They planted a Union flag and left a plaque:

"By authority of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, and in accordance with Her Majesty's instructions dated the 14th day of September, 1955, a landing was effected this day upon this island of Rockall from HMS Vidal. The Union flag was hoisted and possession of the island was taken in the name of Her Majesty. [Signed] R H Connell, Captain, HMS Vidal, 18 September 1955."

All to do with nuclear weapons testing apparently.

Britain wanted to test missiles to carry the warheads from a site in the Western Isles, and were worried the Soviet Union might use Rockall as an observation post.

Before then, it was just a lump of rock that no-one paid much attention to.

Literally fighting over a fucking rock in the Atlantic ocean. Humans are retarded.

By *irkydirkyMan  over a year ago

crewe

With Scotland barely even a country let’s hope the British government goes into talks over this, with their track record of calamity over the last few years Ireland will come out of the talks with the Shetlands also.. Hahahaha

Bristol East

The marine protection vessel Hirta is due to begin patrolling the Rockall fishery today.

And no, it is not armed. But the crew have statutory enforcement powers.

skerries

Sara .I think your getting carried away .just because a few sailors with a flag land on a rock in the middle of the Atlantic ocean doesn't mean her majesty owns it ...lol.lol.

We are not back in the empire days when the tried to take over the world ...Will have to get a few zulu's up from Africa to reclaim the rock ...

Bristol East

I have not offered any opinion on the validity of the UK's claim in international law, other than to note its claim to possession is now enshrined in UK law.

Neither Ireland, Denmark or Iceland have made any claim to the outcrop. They simply do not recognise the UK's claim to ownership.

I do not know what sparked this particular row. But if its politics, it will be domestic and the battle between the SNP and the Tory Party for the fishing vote in the east and north-east of Scotland.

Out of curiosity, if the rock wasn't there, would this stand off exist?

Bristol East

It reminds me of the dispute in the South China Sea where the Chinese have created an artificial island on what is essentially a reef and claimed it as part of their territory. No-one else recognises it.

The UK annexed Rockall in the 1950s but our neighbours do not recognise it.

Bristol East

"Out of curiosity, if the rock wasn't there, would this stand off exist? "

Something to do with an "exclusive economic zone" extending for 12 miles and recognised by a UN court in 2014.

If the rock eroded beneath the waves, there would be nothing there to claim, though a lighthouse might be sensible.

skerries

It's nothing to do with the rock .great British thinks they can have what they want .Irish fishermen are going to fish there .so do what you want gb .you always did .but I think those days are gone

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

"It's as far from Scotland .distance is not the issue..it's European law ....the empire is long gone .gb is not the power it was hundreds of years pillaging around the world taking every thing ..as for distance .the Falklands is really close to gb isn't it"

Fuck sake get over it and move on with your life.

skerries

Yeah your right .sorry for going on about it .hope I didn't offend anyone.

» Add a new message to this topic