FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > BBC to scrap blanket free TV licence for over-75s

BBC to scrap blanket free TV licence for over-75s

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A free TV Licence will only be available to households with someone over 75 who receives Pension Credit from June 2020, the BBC has announced.

About 3.7 million households which previously received a free licence will have to pay for one under the new scheme.

https://news.sky.com/story/bbc-to-scrap-blanket-free-tv-licence-for-over-75s-11739074

Is it time to just scrap the BBC?

It's a TV tax by another name and the people who suffer the most financially are the poorest in society.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I been free from TV licence nearly 5 years. BBC should make it ad based or pay to view with code to watch it

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Just scrap BBC and go commercial...it's a total con and a job for the boys network ...

Needs a total overhaul

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Labour in 2000 introduced free licences for people over the age of 75, paid for by the state.

The Conservatives in 2015 decided it should be paid for by the BBC to get it off their books.

I can imagine it is valued by people of that age.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Disgusting decision to scrap TV licence for over 75s , some of who may live on their own with the TV being the only company they have .. But it's the fault of the Comservative Government not the BBC , A Labour Government gave free licences to over 75s a Comservative Government took it off pensioners ,,,,,,,,, might also be worth pointing out that the announcement made on the same day that the favourite to win the Comservative leader says he will give everyone earning over £50,000 a tax cut

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

"I been free from TV licence nearly 5 years. BBC should make it ad based or pay to view with code to watch it "

I have been license free for over five years, best thing I ever did saved me from throwing numerous bricks through the TV. I don't watch any TV now, it's amazing how much better you feel without the constant daily brainwash.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Labour in 2000 introduced free licences for people over the age of 75, paid for by the state.

The Conservatives in 2015 decided it should be paid for by the BBC to get it off their books.

I can imagine it is valued by people of that age.

"

The BBC actually agreed to take on the TV Licences for over 75s. It was part of the funding negotiations in 2015.

This will play well with voters.All in all it's just another nail in the Conservative coffin.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

What happens if they dont pay it? Will they be taken into care by HM prison services?

"What happens if they dont pay it? Will they be taken into care by HM prison services?"

There will be blood on the streets and mobility scooters blockading roads,if they can't watch the antiques roadshow and Corrie for free .Its all some of these poor buggers have got to look forward to .

If only there was a dividend of some sort... Who will be the first PM hopeful to cough up?

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

There will be mass demonstrations in Parliament Square, bringing London to a halt.

It won't be a tactic of the demonstrators....it's just that so many over 75's trying to cross the road at once while others go along them at 3 mph on their mobility scooters will cause traffic chaos.

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"I been free from TV licence nearly 5 years. BBC should make it ad based or pay to view with code to watch it

I have been license free for over five years, best thing I ever did saved me from throwing numerous bricks through the TV. I don't watch any TV now, it's amazing how much better you feel without the constant daily brainwash. "

Yeah, so much worse than the internet

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's the government which has forced this, as they just passed the burden on to the BBCto fix the funding and announce it.

The BBC model is great and puts countries like the USA stations to shame, for output quality and lack of advertisements. I'd pay the fee for BBC 4 and Radio 4 alone.

The free license was a good move by labour and it's wrong for it to be scrapped Imo. In an era of sub-standard Social care, the TV is a tiny recompense

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Poor pensioners won't have to pay it. Wealthier pensioners will. Fair enough; especially if Boris has his way with tax.

That said, it's all moot. Sky, Amazon and Netflix have already paved the way to the end game.

Eventually, the BBC will be by subscription (a licence fee enforced by fines/prison is unsustainable) and it'll rake in even more money - IF they make their content available worldwide.

It's incredibly easy to opt out of paying for the TV licence, sure it'll be a tough adjustment for those who only watch BBC 1/2 & News, but there are alternatives that are available that you do not need a TV licence for.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

I want to invent a delay tv system .....that way it's not live streaming ....that does not require a licence ....

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It’s not quite being scrapped.... pensioners on pension credit will still get the over 75 licence for nothing.... so the poorest will still be covered

I don’t see why rich pensioners should get the tv licence for nowt just because they turn 75

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

"I been free from TV licence nearly 5 years. BBC should make it ad based or pay to view with code to watch it

I have been license free for over five years, best thing I ever did saved me from throwing numerous bricks through the TV. I don't watch any TV now, it's amazing how much better you feel without the constant daily brainwash.

Yeah, so much worse than the internet "

Yes Fab is the oracle of current affairs. The quality of the information and experts is absolutely amazing.

Typical tory tactic, take away from the vulnerable and poorer in society, reneging on their promise while the contenders for leadership promise tax cuts to the 50k salary earners.

This is a BBC decision not a Conservative one, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

BBC still the best station around I think people like Netflix and Amazon etc should be forced to pay money to the BBC till they learn to make decent priogrammes

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"This is a BBC decision not a Conservative one, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story "

probably because it was a pledge in the last conservative manifesto....

if the torys hadn't made the BBC take the hit for the free licenses instead of the government that had always taken the hit... then we would not be in this position

"This is a BBC decision not a Conservative one, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story "

Classic tory tactic, pull s shit trick then, in this this case blaming the bbc.

And you know that!

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

the bbc could not show enough film of the d day veterans now there stabbing them in the back shame on you bbc

Last week I watched on the BBC the moving tributes to all those who had fought for our Country and taken part in the D-Day landings , many of whom didn't come home , ,,,,,,, Those who did make it home and are still alive ( those telling their story last week and who shed tears for their fallen comrades ) and surviving widows of those who fought for us -- now have to pay for their TV licence

"This is a BBC decision not a Conservative one, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story

probably because it was a pledge in the last conservative manifesto....

if the torys hadn't made the BBC take the hit for the free licenses instead of the government that had always taken the hit... then we would not be in this position"

And you know that to be fact because?

"This is a BBC decision not a Conservative one, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story 6

And you know that! "

I'm not a Tory, but they didn't do anythin wrong. They made the bbc more accountable for their own revenue and expenditure, it is a bbc failing.

"This is a BBC decision not a Conservative one, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story 6

And you know that!

I'm not a Tory, but they didn't do anythin wrong. They made the bbc more accountable for their own revenue and expenditure, it is a bbc failing."

Never said you were one. The tories renaged on their promise, as udual, pasding tbe buck onto the bbc who were scapegoats.

Bears shit in the woods, the pope's catholic and tories are sly bastards, straightforward really

The 2017 Comservative Manifesto stated that TV licences would be free to everyone over 75 until 2022

» Add a new message to this topic