FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The unofficial future PM thread...

The unofficial future PM thread...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The place to compare and contrast the contenders...

While I've yet to look at each in detail it seems to me they are all similarish

1) have an idea which solves Brexit. That feels like everything we've seen before

2) will carry out on a no deal exit.

3) token headline pledge elsewhere to differentiate

Has anyone come out on and said no deal is the way forward (rather than a plan b they'd carry out on) or have a plan b which isn't no deal?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

To survive beyond Christmas, they need to do two things:

a) take the UK out of the EU

b) people need to feel they are no worse off as a result.

Mrs May thought she had found a way to do that, but her own MPs decided they needed ideological purity.

All we hear now is ideological purity for an electorate smaller than the population of Norwich.

For that electorate, the candidates know they need to keep the delusion alive. The true test will come when they wake up on July 24 and need to return to the real world.

Europe will decapitated the next PM, just as it has the last two.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I actually want it to be Boris now

I want the EU to absolutely destroy him, there will he a huge amount of satisfaction in watching this unfold

Every cloud, silver lining ....

"I actually want it to be Boris now

I want the EU to absolutely destroy him, there will he a huge amount of satisfaction in watching this unfold

"

I'm sure Boris who has only ever gone from strength to strength will give the EU a bloody nose while bringing back favorable terms in excess of our benefits we have now with the European Union along with £39 billion in his back pocket and 93 free trade agreements swinging from his belt.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"The place to compare and contrast the contenders...

While I've yet to look at each in detail it seems to me they are all similarish

1) have an idea which solves Brexit. That feels like everything we've seen before

2) will carry out on a no deal exit.

3) token headline pledge elsewhere to differentiate

Has anyone come out on and said no deal is the way forward (rather than a plan b they'd carry out on) or have a plan b which isn't no deal?

"

It is mind boggling some of the stuff that these people are coming out with as they try to appear more misguided and out of touch than their competitors.

The world looking on must think we are collectively losing our minds as potential Prime Ministers joust to see who can inflict the most damage on the United Kingdom and its people.

Meanwhile, us mere plebs, oiks and riff-raff continue to argue over whether life would be better with two feet, one foot or no feet as some threaten to chop off both their feet because they were not initially allowed to chop off just one.

I think now that this will end up with some kind of political revolution in this country because we are seeing first hand that our political classes are not up to the job of making strategic, long term decisions. Short term, populist policies have worked as long as our politics have been shielded from real scrutiny because of our EU membership and because of the FPTP electoral system of winner takes all.

I suspect a few things are about to get overhauled - no matter what happens.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

I want someone with balls ....tell mr barnier and his mates to stick it up ya arse ...we fuck off under wto and forget ya 39 billion....fuck off go swivel on it ....love to see that rat face from Frances face then ....

Yeah - we’re really gonna stick it to those Europeans, just like we’ve been doing eh ?

You do realise we are the laughing stock of the world ?

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

No Mrs May was the worst at negotiation ...the world has ever seen ...she was the laughting stock ....lets hit the twats for six .....with a leader with bollocks and backbone .......need someone like the don on the case

"No Mrs May was the worst at negotiation ...the world has ever seen ...she was the laughting stock ....lets hit the twats for six .....with a leader with bollocks and backbone .......need someone like the don on the case"

You can’t negotiate when you have nothing to bargain with ...

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's clear why Boris has been keeping a low profile, compared to his natural style, as it's realised that he's a danger to everyone, including himself.

The list of them includes a lot of chancers and most of them seem absolute certs to pull the UK into greater crisis. Still, at this point, they've only got to keep other conservative MPs and the completely unrepresentative, of UK citizens, conservative party members happy in their delusions. More money to be able to stash away in some tax haven somewhere - that'll do nicely. (Fuck the typical citizens' needs for services, as the UK slides further into the cesspit of the swivel eyed lots' making).

They largely look rather frightening specimens of the human race, especially when they open their mouths. They've had months to plan for submission of their PM application, years to create an improved brexit plan that's got any value for the country and they've got nothing of any value to offer.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Hancocks pitch to Tory MPs , Conservative Party Members and The Country was priceless -- not a word-4-word quote but was on the lines of " vote for me because I haven't been on the front bench of the Tory party for some time , so this catastrophic mess is not reall anything to do with me "

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

All the ones who are in the race to be PM all are a waste off space used to vote Tory would not give any of these the time of day with there Brexit strategy. Think they all just want to ruin this country. Lib dems for us from now on.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

whoever the new pm may be may have to deal with a massive spanner in the works....

labour are going to apparently use their opposition day debate tomorrow to seize the order paper for tuesday 25th june.....

the reason, they are going to then try and force thru legistlation effectively making it illegal to leave the EU without a deal in place.....

they are going to use the excuse that since Rabb and Mcvey have said they would be prepared to suspend parliament to force thru a no deal..... that this would block that action....

if that happened... then all the brexiteers who reckoned on no deal on october 31st..... will have to come up with a plan

Bristol East

"It's clear why Boris has been keeping a low profile, compared to his natural style, as it's realised that he's a danger to everyone, including himself.

"

An accident waiting to happen.

If his team has worked out he is the clear favourite with the grassroots, avoiding interviews means no public gaffes.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I actually want it to be Boris now

"

He is to smart for them to destroy him

upton wirral

"whoever the new pm may be may have to deal with a massive spanner in the works....

labour are going to apparently use their opposition day debate tomorrow to seize the order paper for tuesday 25th june.....

the reason, they are going to then try and force thru legistlation effectively making it illegal to leave the EU without a deal in place.....

they are going to use the excuse that since Rabb and Mcvey have said they would be prepared to suspend parliament to force thru a no deal..... that this would block that action....

if that happened... then all the brexiteers who reckoned on no deal on october 31st..... will have to come up with a plan

"

You make it sond like a soap opera although it might be lol

upton wirral

"All the ones who are in the race to be PM all are a waste off space used to vote Tory would not give any of these the time of day with there Brexit strategy. Think they all just want to ruin this country. Lib dems for us from now on. "
you backing losers then

upton wirral

"I want someone with balls ....tell mr barnier and his mates to stick it up ya arse ...we fuck off under wto and forget ya 39 billion....fuck off go swivel on it ....love to see that rat face from Frances face then ...."
The last time the French had any balls was when the Normans where around

Bristol East

[Removed by poster at 11/06/19 17:59:20]

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"[Removed by poster at 11/06/19 17:59:20]"

This..

And a dash of stupid too..

Newcastle and Gateshead

seen most of the campaign launches...

most impressed with rory stewart... but way too sensible to actually be a contender

and the sajid javid opening video......

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"[Removed by poster at 11/06/19 17:59:20]

This..

And a dash of stupid too.. "

Well if Sara wrote it and you agreed with it I'm probably mostly in favour of it but with reservations; what ever it was.

Bristol East

Weariness set in.

The same tired trope.

From people who seem disturbed by those unable to reach their own levels of exceptionalism.

All rather tiring after a while - it tells me nothing new about the person.

Widnes

"seen most of the campaign launches...

most impressed with rory stewart... but way too sensible to actually be a contender

and the sajid javid opening video......"

To be fair some of them are talking more since than others surprisingly one of those is Give who at least seems to have taken in board that Leaving with a deal after 31\10 is better then Leaving with no deal before. Unfortunately none of them, including Rory Stuart (probably the best of the bunch) seems willing to tell their party the hard truth that there is no deal other than a deal like May's, any deal will leave us worse of and with less control and say than we currently have and that 'no deal' doesn't really exist.

Widnes

*or Gove even. grrr

. None of them have addressed the question as to why their party had no plan in place for a no vote

in Lancashire

"[Removed by poster at 11/06/19 17:59:20]

This..

And a dash of stupid too..

Well if Sara wrote it and you agreed with it I'm probably mostly in favour of it but with reservations; what ever it was. "

You won't catch me out in repeating it that way Cracken..

It would be bad form and err I can't remember..

"Hancocks pitch to Tory MPs , Conservative Party Members and The Country was priceless -- not a word-4-word quote but was on the lines of " vote for me because I haven't been on the front bench of the Tory party for some time , so this catastrophic mess is not reall anything to do with me ""
. Sorry , my error , it was Harper not Hancock , just seen Harper interviewed on Channel 4 ,,, oh dear !!! ,,, how on earth is he a MP ? how on earth is he in the top ten Tory MPs ? How on earth could he become PM ,,, this leadership debate is beginning to sound quite frightening ,,

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

" this leadership debate is beginning to sound quite frightening ,,"

I know... just give Boris the job and lets crack on

Widnes

" this leadership debate is beginning to sound quite frightening ,,

"

Give Boris the job means general election before Christmas or referendum next Spring.

here

Give Boris the job means general election before Christmas or referendum next Spring.

"

Nah.... it will all be fine

Widnes

Nah.... it will all be fine "

Oh, I forgot to add 'and still no BREXIT'

in Lancashire

I know... just give Boris the job and lets crack up

"

ftfy..

here

Nah.... it will all be fine

Oh, I forgot to add 'and still no BREXIT'

"

Makes you wonder how anything ever gets done, as everything seems to be planned out before anything has actually happened

Bristol East

First big gaffe for Johnson is a gift for the Scots Nats.

Johnson says he will cut the tax bill for the wealthiest and fund it partly by raising NI.

National Insurance rates are reserved to Westminster but Income Tax thresholds are devolved.

So that means Scottish taxpayers will pay more in NI in order to fund tax cuts for the wealthy in England and Wales.

And they wonder why they don't want him doing interviews?

Lolololol

"First big gaffe for Johnson is a gift for the Scots Nats.

Johnson says he will cut the tax bill for the wealthiest and fund it partly by raising NI.

National Insurance rates are reserved to Westminster but Income Tax thresholds are devolved.

So that means Scottish taxpayers will pay more in NI in order to fund tax cuts for the wealthy in England and Wales.

Lolololol"

I'm sure plenty of people behind Boris came up with this. So less a gaff, more a tactical ploy

upton wirral

Surely you mean to stupid?

upton wirral

"First big gaffe for Johnson is a gift for the Scots Nats.

Lolololol

I'm sure plenty of people behind Boris came up with this. So less a gaff, more a tactical ploy"

upton wirral

"

The opposite to what your saying,we will soon know who is right but think it will be me

Newcastle and Gateshead

nope... he is right, you are wrong, any PM candidate that tries to force thru a no deal brexit will walk straight into a "no confidence" vote in parliament they would absolutely lose....

then you have either..... a 2nd referendum, or a general election....

upton wirral

"nope... he is right, you are wrong, any PM candidate that tries to force thru a no deal brexit will walk straight into a "no confidence" vote in parliament they would absolutely lose....

then you have either..... a 2nd referendum, or a general election...."

a general election and the people will condemn Corbyn for stopping Brexit Tories in for 5 more years Corbyn on the scrap heap,have you learned nothing from recent election results?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"nope... he is right, you are wrong, any PM candidate that tries to force thru a no deal brexit will walk straight into a "no confidence" vote in parliament they would absolutely lose....

then you have either..... a 2nd referendum, or a general election....a general election and the people will condemn Corbyn for stopping Brexit Tories in for 5 more years Corbyn on the scrap heap,have you learned nothing from recent election results?"

why would they blame corbyn....

your conservative mp brought back a deal that would take you out the EU, and half of your conservative mp's voted against the deal that would have taken you out the EU...

truth is...is there was a GE and Bojo for example was leader.... you'd lose a lot of seats in the south to the Lib Dems, and you'd probably lose every seat you had in scotland to the SNP....

and thats just the start.....

then you have either..... a 2nd referendum, or a general election....a general election and the people will condemn Corbyn for stopping Brexit Tories in for 5 more years Corbyn on the scrap heap,have you learned nothing from recent election results?"

. Teresa May also blamed Labour for not getting her Brexit Deal through The Commons , which was quite strange , because with the money she had sent to The DUP it actually meant The Conservatives have a majority , so if every Labour MP and every LibDem MP and every SNP MP had voted against her deal it would have passed because she had enough Conservative votes , so the MPs who have actually stopped Brexit are the Conservative MPs that keep banging on about Brexit ,,, Brexit had been stopped by Brexit supporting Conservative MPs

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"a general election and the people will condemn Corbyn for stopping Brexit Tories in for 5 more years Corbyn on the scrap heap,have you learned nothing from recent election results?"

No Torie wants a GE anytime soon, or have you learned nothing from recent Torie loses at local and European election results?

No good labour saying no deal off the table. It's out of our hands, EU gave us a deal and parliament rejected it so no deal it is end of. If labour want a deal they should have backed the deal, they don't care about the UK just want power.

Widnes

Most of the people from slightly right of centre to just short of hard left don't like Corbyn stance on BREXIT because it's not Remain enough. Labour will loose some to most of those voters to the LibDems, Greens and SNP. The Conservatives will loose a lot of their BREXIT voters to The BREXIT Party and a lot of their Remain voters to the LibDems.

The actual result is hard to call but both Labour and the Conservatives could be down to about 100 seats each or possibly even less for the Conservatives, with the LibDems being the biggest gainers and the BREXIT party some way behind. In short we would have a hung parliament but more Remain MPs than Leavers.

The real problem the Conservatives have is that if they go for a General Election before they've delivered some sort of BREXIT they could be decimated by an exodus of both Leave and Remain. On the other hand if they do deliver BREXIT they probably won't be decimated but will definitely loose the right of centre liberal vote which is very pro EU, and the Conservatives can't win a General election without them. When whoever is the PM and it comes down to choice between a General Election, Referendum or Revoke 50 they will, if they have any sense at all, choose the Referendum option and that will be the end of BREXIT once and for all.

Bristol East

"

I'm sure plenty of people behind Boris came up with this. So less a gaff, more a tactical ploy"

Why would anyone earning less than, say, £40k a year vote for someone who is going to make them pay more tax and give it away to people earning over £40k a year?

"

I'm sure plenty of people behind Boris came up with this. So less a gaff, more a tactical ploy

Why would anyone earning less than, say, £40k a year vote for someone who is going to make them pay more tax and give it away to people earning over £40k a year?

"

. But ,, although Boris Johnson says that is plan is for tax cuts for the rich paid for by the poor ,, is he really going to do it if he becomes PM ? What Boris Johnson wants is to win the leadership race and become PM , to do this he needs enough Tory MPs to put him in the top 2 , he then needs enough Tory party members ( quite a few who would benefit from such a tax cut ) to vote for him , Then prior to the next General Election he announces that it is not the right time to carry out such a policy . He suddenly comes accross as someone who cares for the poor , the press would love him and he would hope enough people fall for it , At this stage he won't lose the Tory members who put him there as its no really hardship to them , they don't really need the money .... (Promising tax cuts to rich tories and not giving them what he promised is like promising £350million to our NHS if we vote leave and ,,,,,, well ,,, we all know what is going to happen there

"

. But ,, although Boris Johnson says that is plan is for tax cuts for the rich paid for by the poor ,, is he really going to do it if he becomes PM ? What Boris Johnson wants is to win the leadership race and become PM , to do this he needs enough Tory MPs to put him in the top 2 , he then needs enough Tory party members ( quite a few who would benefit from such a tax cut ) to vote for him , Then prior to the next General Election he announces that it is not the right time to carry out such a policy . He suddenly comes accross as someone who cares for the poor , the press would love him and he would hope enough people fall for it , At this stage he won't lose the Tory members who put him there as its no really hardship to them , they don't really need the money .... (Promising tax cuts to rich tories and not giving them what he promised is like promising £350million to our NHS if we vote leave and ,,,,,, well ,,, we all know what is going to happen there "

Woah that's cynical.

But also, what I was going to say.

It's interesting Johnson (and I suspect others) are positioning a no deal exit less because it delivers a good outcome for the UK, but more because it ensures the survival of the tory party. Is this not ringing alarm bells that so few are standing behind no deal As being a good outcome anymore...

Bristol East

Who'd have thunk it - Tory candidates more interested in what's good for the party rather than the country, eh?

in Lancashire

"

. But ,, although Boris Johnson says that is plan is for tax cuts for the rich paid for by the poor ,, is he really going to do it if he becomes PM ? What Boris Johnson wants is to win the leadership race and become PM , to do this he needs enough Tory MPs to put him in the top 2 , he then needs enough Tory party members ( quite a few who would benefit from such a tax cut ) to vote for him , Then prior to the next General Election he announces that it is not the right time to carry out such a policy . He suddenly comes accross as someone who cares for the poor , the press would love him and he would hope enough people fall for it , At this stage he won't lose the Tory members who put him there as its no really hardship to them , they don't really need the money .... (Promising tax cuts to rich tories and not giving them what he promised is like promising £350million to our NHS if we vote leave and ,,,,,, well ,,, we all know what is going to happen there "

Extremely possible, he made promises in his London Mayoral bid then reneged in office..

He will say anything he thinks will get him the top job..

Bristol East

The shortest tenure of any PM (who did not die in office) is 144 days of Fred Robinson. Will the next PM do better?

Boris will be fine, BREXIT will be delivered, and the whole world, including the EU will be competing to do business with us.

That is my prediction, not my wish list. I’d prefer some Treason May mark 2 to get the job, attempt to further fudge BREXIT, and another general election where the BREXIT Party sweep into power and sort this mess out toot sweet.

How does that song go? You can’t always get what you want, but you can try some time...

Widnes

"Boris will be fine, BREXIT will be delivered, and the whole world, including the EU will be competing to do business with us.

That is my prediction, not my wish list. I’d prefer some Treason May mark 2 to get the job, attempt to further fudge BREXIT, and another general election where the BREXIT Party sweep into power and sort this mess out toot sweet.

How does that song go? You can’t always get what you want, but you can try some time..."

How's that other one go by SuperTramp. Something like:-

"Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer,

Well can you put your hands on your head, oh no!

I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer...

...Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer,

So now you'll put your head in your hands, oh no, Dreamer..."

Bristol East

Johnson on Brexit:

"We have to threaten them with no deal in order to get a good deal"

Tick, been there, done that, did not work

"Labour needs to realise this is an existential threat to both parties if we do not deliver on Brexit"

Tick, been there, done that, did not work.

No new ideas, no strategy, no suggestion of doing any different.

Still, I guess there are some who will happily forget the last three years ever happened and that cake is back on the table.

Just rewind and play again

Widnes

"Johnson on Brexit:

"We have to threaten them with no deal in order to get a good deal"

Tick, been there, done that, did not work

"Labour needs to realise this is an existential threat to both parties if we do not deliver on Brexit"

Tick, been there, done that, did not work.

No new ideas, no strategy, no suggestion of doing any different.

Still, I guess there are some who will happily forget the last three years ever happened and that cake is back on the table."

You forgot the cherries. There has to cherries on the cake both before and after we've eaten it but still got it. Without cherries how can we possibly cherry pick?

in Lancashire

"Boris will be fine, BREXIT will be delivered, and the whole world, including the EU will be competing to do business with us.

How does that song go? You can’t always get what you want, but you can try some time...

How's that other one go by SuperTramp. Something like:-

"Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer,

Well can you put your hands on your head, oh no!

I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer...

...Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer,

So now you'll put your head in your hands, oh no, Dreamer..."

"

Crime of the feckin century is rather apt..

Maybe even carpet crawlers too..

in Lancashire

"Just rewind and play again "

If only we won't get fooled again was listened to..

No deal is better than no party.

No deal is better than a corbyn government

At which point will non tory voters see the new messaging and start to question why none the PM hopefuls are backing no deal as being good for the non tory parts of the country...

Bristol East

"He who mounts a tiger can never get off"

- Chinese proverb

Newcastle and Gateshead

he told falsehood after falsehood in his speech... took 6 questions, actually answered 0 of them... and wondered off...

the slimey fucker and the tory party base that will elect him absolutely deserve each other after that durge!!

in Lancashire

"he told falsehood after falsehood in his speech... took 6 questions, actually answered 0 of them... and wondered off...

the slimey fucker and the tory party base that will elect him absolutely deserve each other after that durge!!"

The response from the usual suspects will be all a tad whataboutery as they swallow it..

And none of it changes the mess we are in..

"he told falsehood after falsehood in his speech... took 6 questions, actually answered 0 of them... and wondered off...

the slimey fucker and the tory party base that will elect him absolutely deserve each other after that durge!!"

Did you really expect any different. Boris is a liar, everyone knows that but many choose to ignore it.

He's going to be the UK's version of Trump if he wins, gaff after gaff with not an inch chance of taking any responsibility or even acknowledging truth if it does not suit him.

Bristol East

No vision for the country, just a vision of their own survival.

A credible Opposition would be miles ahead in the polls.

in Lancashire

"No vision for the country, just a vision of their own survival.

A credible Opposition would be miles ahead in the polls."

The wrong brother was elected..

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

No deal still an option. Parliament rejects the latest moves to take no deal off the table

Newcastle and Gateshead

"No deal still an option. Parliament rejects the latest moves to take no deal off the table "

thats okay.... this was defeated due to a number of anti 2nd ref labour mps abstaining....

it helps the lib dems by saying they are the remain party... the civil war in the labour party continues......

i don't think it gets to "no deal" because the then pm gets defeated in a no confidence motion...

Kent

"Mr Johnson, footage has emerged of you snorting cocaine from the buttocks of an underaged prostitute. Will this harm your leadership campaign?"

"Gosh. Well, a chap makes mistakes. But I am bloody sorry now, and I think that we can all agree that the follies of youth must not define the man, insert obscure Latin phrase."

HIGNFY audience laps it it

Bristol East

"No deal still an option. Parliament rejects the latest moves to take no deal off the table "

It was premature.

I cannot see any Conservative MP wanting to pre-empt their leadership contest.

Plenty of opportunities further down the road, should their new leader choose that route.

It's also easier for them to support something in the name of a back-bench moderate than it is in the name of Corbyn.

Today's result was pretty meaningless.

Bristol East

I watched Mr Javid and saw the future.

He is impressive.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

its a shame saj won’t win, because the tory party mp’s and it membership have already annointed BJ as their messiah, lord and saviour.

Bristol East

He may well emerge as the "Stop Boris" choice, but I suspect you are probably right.

He is trying to position himself beyond Brexit (a wise move if he was a Remainer) and that may be when his time is more ripe.

Can members of the Conservative Party see beyond Brexit? I doubt if their next leader will last beyond Brexit tbh.

here

"No deal still an option. Parliament rejects the latest moves to take no deal off the table

It was premature.

Plenty of opportunities further down the road, should their new leader choose that route.

It's also easier for them to support something in the name of a back-bench moderate than it is in the name of Corbyn.

"

And had it passed then i'm sure you would be bleating about how important it is.

Bristol East

"

And had it passed then i'm sure you would be bleating about how important it is. "

Hardly. It just means MPs will be talking about something else on June 25 instead of Brexit.

here

"

And had it passed then i'm sure you would be bleating about how important it is.

Hardly. It just means MPs will be talking about something else on June 25 instead of Brexit.

"

Hallelujah

Widnes

"No deal still an option. Parliament rejects the latest moves to take no deal off the table

It was premature.

And had it passed then i'm sure you would be bleating about how important it is. "

If it had passed it would have been important, wouldn't it?

Has anyone seen the new bus?

We give the EU £350m per week. Let's give that to the £50K earners instead.

Kent

Apparently the 1922 Committee have banned phones in the voting room as Johnson’s team were demanding proof that the MPs had voted for him. But then how else would he know who to give the same department that's been promised to four different MPs too?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

We now know one thing. The next PM will be a man.

» Add a new message to this topic