I find both truely unfunny.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

Wouldn’t shag either of them

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

So it is wrong for a comedian to crack a joke about Farage having milkshakes thrown over him by saying why waste milkshakes when you can use battery acid, followed quickly with the I'm not saying I'd do it or anyone else should. But it is fine for Farage to make a serious political statement that if brexit is not delivered he will put on a combat jacket, pick up an assault rifle and take to the streets, no immediate retraction or pointing out that his statement was hyperbole.

Seems to me to be proof that it is the far right that is inhabited with snowflakes who think its fine for them to reference violence when making points but not for others.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Brand should have said she wouldn't even waste battery acid let alone milkshake...

... And then later said, actually she would, but only if someone bought the acid for her.

I think that is how jokes work nowadays...

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

This and everything else going on is yet more evidence of a society that is increasingly stressed.

Analysis of the referendum result was the first big clue - a society stressed out by inequality.

Since then, it's got worse, stoked by violent rhetoric that simply polarises the divide.

That is not a partisan point - people on all sides of the debate have become shouty, rude, insulting, intolerant.

When it comes from people in positions of leadership, be that politicians or telly stars they admire, it sets a standard for the person on the street to follow.

Hence we see a rise in hate crime - against muslims, against migrants, against Jews, against LGBT and so on.

I keep looking around for the next leader who can rise above this shiftfest and provide some true leadership. I am still looking three years later.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Firstly Jo Brand did not mention Farage by name she could have been talking about Corbyn.Ok we know she was not as she is a nasty little left winger,rich looks after herself and does the oposite to what she preaches.A bit like that other nasty self scented guy whos name slips my toungue at this moment.

She is however guilty of insighting violence which is wrong and she should be prosecuted and the BBC should fire her

"Brand should have said she wouldn't even waste battery acid let alone milkshake...

... And then later said, actually she would, but only if someone bought the acid for her.

I think that is how jokes work nowadays... "

I think you should be free to joke about anything, no right minded person thinks either of these people meant anything but a joke.

However one of them seems to be a giant cunt for joking about r@ping a woman politican while the other is a comedic bastion of the truth for joking about killing a politican with battery acid!.

Sadly the right wing of politics seems to be emulating the left wing loons for snowflakerey.

One was clearly a joke, made on a comedy show, by a Comedian who was there to make jokes and while we suspect we know who it was aimed at, it wasnt a direct retort to them. By listening to a comedy show you accept boundaries will be pushed and most comments will be in jest.

The other was an insult, which tried to use humour, aimed directly at someone in an open forum. There was no implicit acceptance by either the person it was aimed at, nor the audience, that the normal line of good taste has moved.

I think that's an important difference which makes the MP's issue less snowflakey than farage.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

just love the way some people justify things to suite their bias opinion.

Feel free to pick away.

Comedy shows have different social rules than twitter.

Theres a difference between a joke and an insult. Typically one is aimed directly at a person.

When a comment can be taken as a joke or a literal comment, it's more likely a Comedian is joking than someone in the middle of a debate.

"So it is wrong for a comedian to crack a joke about Farage having milkshakes thrown over him by saying why waste milkshakes when you can use battery acid, followed quickly with the I'm not saying I'd do it or anyone else should. But it is fine for Farage to make a serious political statement that if brexit is not delivered he will put on a combat jacket, pick up an assault rifle and

take to the streets, no immediate retraction or pointing out that his statement was hyperbole.

Seems to me to be proof that it is the far right that is inhabited with snowflakes who think its fine for them to reference violence when making points but not for others. "

Is that a deliberate mis-quote? I believe nigel fartwad said 'don khaki, pick up a rifle and head to the front line'

Putting on combat gear, grabbing an assault rifle and taking to the streets paints a whole different scenario.

If it was a deliberate mis-quote then you've learned much from the mainstream media.

When it comes to this type of statement or these 'jokes'....context is everything...

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Is that a deliberate mis-quote? I believe nigel fartwad said 'don khaki, pick up a rifle and head to the front line'

Putting on combat gear, grabbing an assault rifle and taking to the streets paints a whole different scenario.

If it was a deliberate mis-quote then you've learned much from the mainstream media.

When it comes to this type of statement or these 'jokes'....context is everything... "

I paraphrased, not feeling the need to google the exact words, clearly I was wrong. But as you felt the need to correct me would you like to tell me what you took from his words? Lets start with donning karki, remember he is far too old to join any of the armed forces. Then there is picking up a rifle and head for the front line. What front line would that be? and what sort of rifle did you think he was talking about? I think he was saying he would put on combats grab an assault rifle and head to the streets, maybe you think he means he is going don some WW2 khakis, to pick up a paintball rifle and head to his local paintball park and take out his frustration on some spotty teens out for a weekends fun with Jason from accounting and Phil from sales.

I couldn't give a fuck what he meant...i was calling you out out on a mis-quote. I've no love of farage but getting things wrong and ignoring context is dangerous and sends out confusing signals. Exactly what the mainstream media does

I wouldn't wast battery acid on Jo Brand, just shot the bitch in the face

"I wouldn't wast battery acid on Jo Brand, just shot the bitch in the face "

wldnt vn wst vwls n ths cmmnt

"I wouldn't wast battery acid on Jo Brand, just shot the bitch in the face

wldnt vn wst vwls n ths cmmnt "

wild not vain waist viewless nothins cement?

What is this? Cntdwn? With rchl rly?

Bristol East

Throw acid at a politician? Some of them are more likely to swallow it lol

"Throw acid at a politician? Some of them are more likely to swallow it lol

"

Anyway, only just listened to the clip, it wasn't really funny, more a dry humoured shock joke statement that I can understand some getting their knickers in a twist over.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The show was repeatedly aimed to push boundaries, which it did. I think Jo has also managed to get a lot of free publicity for it, even though she's just a guest. It was, in context, within the bounds of acceptability.

I can’t stand jo brand and don’t find her in anyway funny but 20 years ago it would not have even made the news let alone have the police look into it.

Farage just used it as a free publicity stunt anyway acting all upset about it

Bristol East

She's apologised. Police case closed. End of.

People really need to be more thoughtful of their language - it's all too incite ful for me.

She shouldn't have said it. Not because it isn't funny, but because, unfortunately, there is a climate at the moment where this jumps from the context of comedy to be used as a pretext for ramping up yet more division between the so-called left and right. These are unusual times when discretion should be used.

Violence towards MPs by mentally ill people hooked on a "cause" is, in my opinion, more likely to happen when the country's emotions are so heightened and polarised. Comedy should always punch up. After Jo Cox, this was punching down.

She has apologised and I believe she means it. Personally, I like her, but this was a mistake. What is sad is that these times mean that comedians, the epitome of free speech and hard hitting truths, are required to surpress themselves.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Personally I think this is a fart in bottle blown up into a storm in a tea cup.

I happened to be listening to the show when it was broadcast and, while I didn't find the comments particularly disturbing I did think to myself "she wouldn't get away with that on the telly, even not on 'Have I Got News For You', just as well it's just radio 4 and probably not many listening". Maybe that's how it should of stayed, a bad taste joke in a low listener comedy show on a radio station that most people probably never listen too and probably couldn't even find on the radio dial.

A prerecorded show which has been edited. Yes jo brand should not of told that joke but the BBC should of edited out. The BBC are trying to take the heat of themselves after the licensing farce x

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

At the end of the day it was a joke, Jo Brand has always been a bit shocking,edgy and bad taste in that department.

The only personal conclusion I would make is if its OK for Left leaning comedians to make these sort of jokes, its certainly OK for right leaning comedians to make shocking edgy jokes too. You can't pick and choose, all shocking, edgy, bad taste jokes are just that. A joke!

The world is like a primary school play ground at the moment "she said this, he said that mentality"!

"One was clearly a joke, made on a comedy show, by a Comedian who was there to make jokes and while we suspect we know who it was aimed at, it wasnt a direct retort to them. By listening to a comedy show you accept boundaries will be pushed and most comments will be in jest.

The other was an insult, which tried to use humour, aimed directly at someone in an open forum. There was no implicit acceptance by either the person it was aimed at, nor the audience, that the normal line of good taste has moved.

I think that's an important difference which makes the MP's issue less snowflakey than farage.

"

That's a load of bollocks.

They were both deemed comedy shows and neither of them were actually aimed at the subject, in fact in both cases the subjects were shown the jokes on a second hand basis by the media.

There's no contest for 1st or 2nd place in Snowflakkery you either are or you aren't, they were both clearly jokes and both subjects should stop trying to score political points from some abject oppression they think a joke gives them.

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

2 wrongs don't make a right...in any situation

Had the press quoted good old Chubby Brown saying something like that, the leftists would have been crying a fucking river.

Yet they are all prepared to make excuses for that fat ugly cunt...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Had the press quoted good old Chubby Brown saying something like that, the leftists would have been crying a fucking river.

Yet they are all prepared to make excuses for that fat ugly cunt..."

Envy is such a tedious trait..

"Had the press quoted good old Chubby Brown saying something like that, the leftists would have been crying a fucking river.

Envy is such a tedious trait.. "

Perhaps you could explain what it feels like?

in Lancashire

Perhaps you could explain what it feels like?"

Well..

I quite like her, she's by far one of the better people living in her part of the country..

She's done a lot for charity and champions mental health awareness although your possibly aware of the latter..

"One was clearly a joke, made on a comedy show, by a Comedian who was there to make jokes and while we suspect we know who it was aimed at, it wasnt a direct retort to them. By listening to a comedy show you accept boundaries will be pushed and most comments will be in jest.

They were both deemed comedy shows and neither of them were actually aimed at the subject, in fact in both cases the subjects were shown the jokes on a second hand basis by the media.

There's no contest for 1st or 2nd place in Snowflakkery you either are or you aren't, they were both clearly jokes and both subjects should stop trying to score political points from some abject oppression they think a joke gives them."

We may be talking about different things here. I'm comparing brand with the ukiper r@pe comment on twitter.

Well..

I quite like her, she's by far one of the better people living in her part of the country..

She's done a lot for charity and champions mental health awareness although your possibly aware of the latter.. "

So now you are publicly questioning my mental health status? Way to fucking go Geeze!!!

in Lancashire

Well..

She's done a lot for charity and champions mental health awareness although your possibly aware of the latter..

So now you are publicly questioning my mental health status? Way to fucking go Geeze!!! "

No, although your wanting to string people up from lamp post's does bring that into question..

There's no contest for 1st or 2nd place in Snowflakkery you either are or you aren't, they were both clearly jokes and both subjects should stop trying to score political points from some abject oppression they think a joke gives them.

We may be talking about different things here. I'm comparing brand with the ukiper r@pe comment on twitter. "

No were talking about the same thing!.

The joke he made about not being enough beer in the world to cave in to r@ping her was on a segment he made titled comedy in politics.

The Twitter comment was 3 years earlier when he said he wouldn't even r@pe her.

Apparently Jess nor nige can stand hearing a joke about being r@ped or killed by acid.

Me I'm fine with it, get over it, it was a joke.

We may be talking about different things here. I'm comparing brand with the ukiper r@pe comment on twitter. .

No were talking about the same thing!.

The joke he made about not being enough beer in the world to cave in to r@ping her was on a segment he made titled comedy in politics.

The Twitter comment was 3 years earlier when he said he wouldn't even r@pe her.

Apparently Jess nor nige can stand hearing a joke about being r@ped or killed by acid.

Me I'm fine with it, get over it, it was a joke.

"

I was talking about the twitter comment. Which isn't a comedy show. And was directed at her. To me, that's different circumstances. You may draw the conclusion they are both the same side of a the line. But they aren't equally as close to it.

» Add a new message to this topic