FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Tory debate when?

Tory debate when?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *sianManc OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester

I missed the first debate yesterday. Had no idea it was on as I don't watch tv much.

When's the next debate? Televised on which channel what time?

And how many debates are there?

Who won last night's debate?

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It was on bt sport... Tysonfury won in R2

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I am surprised the broadcasters are getting away with this.

Programmes devoted to the opinions and views of one political party.

Where is the balance?

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

BBC1 on Tuesday at 8pm ,,

"I am surprised the broadcasters are getting away with this.

Where is the balance?"

Well to be honest it’s all about the tori’s at the moment because the election of the tori prime minister is nothing to do with labour or any of the other parties

Bristol East

Where is the balance?

Well to be honest it’s all about the tori’s at the moment because the election of the tori prime minister is nothing to do with labour or any of the other parties "

I understand that.

What we are getting is a political programme composed entirely of right-wing views of one party.

i must go google - I cannot be the first to ask the question.

Bristol East

The Ofcom rules are strict during periods of an election or referendum. Section 6 of its Code.

Section 5 requires due impartiality at other times.

"5.12 In dealing with matters of major political and industrial controversy and major matters relating to current public policy an appropriately wide range of significant views must be included and given due weight in each programme or in clearly linked and timely programmes. Views and facts must not be misrepresented.

"The prevention of undue prominence of views and opinions on matters of political or industrial controversy and matters relating to current public policy

"(Rule 5.13 applies to local radio services (including community radio services), local digital sound programme services (including community digital sound programme services) and radio licensable content services. For the avoidance of doubt, it does not apply to any BBC services.)

"5.13 Broadcasters should not give undue prominence to the views and opinions of particular persons or bodies on matters of political or industrial controversy and matters relating to current public policy in all the programmes included in any service (listed above) taken as a whole.

"Meaning of “undue prominence of views and opinions”:

Undue prominence is a significant imbalance of views aired within coverage of matters of political or industrial controversy or matters relating to current public policy.

"Meaning of “programmes included in any service…Taken as a whole”:

Programmes included in any service taken as a whole means all programming on a service dealing with the same or related issues within an appropriate period.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"The Ofcom rules are strict during periods of an election or referendum. Section 6 of its Code.

Section 5 requires due impartiality at other times.

"5.12 In dealing with matters of major political and industrial controversy and major matters relating to current public policy an appropriately wide range of significant views must be included and given due weight in each programme or in clearly linked and timely programmes. Views and facts must not be misrepresented.

"The prevention of undue prominence of views and opinions on matters of political or industrial controversy and matters relating to current public policy

"(Rule 5.13 applies to local radio services (including community radio services), local digital sound programme services (including community digital sound programme services) and radio licensable content services. For the avoidance of doubt, it does not apply to any BBC services.)

"5.13 Broadcasters should not give undue prominence to the views and opinions of particular persons or bodies on matters of political or industrial controversy and matters relating to current public policy in all the programmes included in any service (listed above) taken as a whole.

"Meaning of “undue prominence of views and opinions”:

Undue prominence is a significant imbalance of views aired within coverage of matters of political or industrial controversy or matters relating to current public policy.

"Meaning of “programmes included in any service…Taken as a whole”:

Programmes included in any service taken as a whole means all programming on a service dealing with the same or related issues within an appropriate period."

But its not a period of elections or a referendum as much as some on here would like its to elect a new leader of the tories.

Bristol East

".But its not a period of elections or a referendum as much as some on here would like its to elect a new leader of the tories."

That's right.

So Section 6 of the code does not apply.

Only Section 5.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

there is an arguement to be made... because where labour were holding their elections there were hustings on the TV... and the same has been for the conservatives...

The lib dems have asked the question and have asked for one of the major channels to show one of their hustings for their new leader (actually there is an online one tonight) since in theory they are the leading "remain" party at the moment... i think they are still in negioations...

"there is an arguement to be made... because where labour were holding their elections there were hustings on the TV... and the same has been for the conservatives...

The lib dems have asked the question and have asked for one of the major channels to show one of their hustings for their new leader (actually there is an online one tonight) since in theory they are the leading "remain" party at the moment... i think they are still in negioations..."

. I would have thought that , at the very least , events like this could be covered by the BBC parliament channel

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

It does lead to very unbalanced broadcasting.

They all took a turn at bashing Corbyn, without him having any right of reply.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"It does lead to very unbalanced broadcasting.

"

I guess that's why the broadcasting code that Sara found and listed above, was devised, so that any no party gets given undue prominence, without balance.

Perhaps the TV programmes could have included Labour asking the candidates questions, so that viewers could see how they'd cope in a situation like Prime Minister's questions, as well as Labour/other parties giving immediate feedback on the answers that the candidates had provided.

As it is, there are only a few thousand people in the UK who can vote for these people as conservative party leader, despite this being of huge national significance.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Where is the balance?"

I would love to see the Labour leadership race televised.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"I missed the first debate yesterday. Had no idea it was on as I don't watch tv much.

Thanks"

you wernt the only one apparently bojo couldnt be bothered with it either says a lot about his contempt for the voters

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"I missed the first debate yesterday. Had no idea it was on as I don't watch tv much.

Thanksyou wernt the only one apparently bojo couldnt be bothered with it either says a lot about his contempt for the voters "

“I think it is important that we have a sensible grown-up debate,” he told the BBC’s World at One. “My own observation is that in the past when you’ve had loads of candidates, it can be slightly cacophonous and I think the public have had quite a lot of blue on blue action frankly over the last three years.”

He is taking part in the BBC debate on Tuesday evening, after the field has been whittled down some more following the vote on Tuesday...

Thanksyou wernt the only one apparently bojo couldnt be bothered with it either says a lot about his contempt for the voters

“I think it is important that we have a sensible grown-up debate,” he told the BBC’s World at One. “My own observation is that in the past when you’ve had loads of candidates, it can be slightly cacophonous and I think the public have had quite a lot of blue on blue action frankly over the last three years.”

He is taking part in the BBC debate on Tuesday evening, after the field has been whittled down some more following the vote on Tuesday..."

. If Johnson fears debating in a room against 6 other people ( all friendly tories ) what chance has he got at PMQs or negotiating a deal with the other 27 EU countries ?

here

Thanksyou wernt the only one apparently bojo couldnt be bothered with it either says a lot about his contempt for the voters

He is taking part in the BBC debate on Tuesday evening, after the field has been whittled down some more following the vote on Tuesday.... If Johnson fears debating in a room against 6 other people ( all friendly tories ) what chance has he got at PMQs or negotiating a deal with the other 27 EU countries ? "

Fair question to ask if he wasn’t taking part in any of the tv debates... but he is, tomorrow night.

I guess that's why the broadcasting code that Sara found and listed above, was devised, so that any no party gets given undue prominence, without balance.

Perhaps the TV programmes could have included Labour asking the candidates questions, so that viewers could see how they'd cope in a situation like Prime Minister's questions, as well as Labour/other parties giving immediate feedback on the answers that the candidates had provided.

As it is, there are only a few thousand people in the UK who can vote for these people as conservative party leader, despite this being of huge national significance. "

It might be unfortunate, but surely you understand that only party members can choose the new leader. It was the same with the Labour Party, that is why they have a Marxist leader, who is unpopular with the MPs but the membership backed him.

Does anyone know how many votes Farage got when he became leader of Brexit party ?

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

As it is, there are only a few thousand people in the UK who can vote for these people as conservative party leader, despite this being of huge national significance.

It might be unfortunate, but surely you understand that only party members can choose the new leader. It was the same with the Labour Party, that is why they have a Marxist leader, who is unpopular with the MPs but the membership backed him."

Exactly thats how it got highjacked by momentum a few years ago when they had a massive amount of people join the labour party,an organized coup.

It might be unfortunate, but surely you understand that only party members can choose the new leader. It was the same with the Labour Party, that is why they have a Marxist leader, who is unpopular with the MPs but the membership backed him.Exactly thats how it got highjacked by momentum a few years ago when they had a massive amount of people join the labour party,an organized coup. "

I’m sure I read somewhere that they were only charging £3.00 for membership. Must be a lot of Marxists joined to elect him as leader...

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

He is taking part in the BBC debate on Tuesday evening, after the field has been whittled down some more following the vote on Tuesday..."

inother words hes hoping tuesdays vote is desicive in his favour and he wins outright and the debate never takes place clever stratergy

here

He is taking part in the BBC debate on Tuesday evening, after the field has been whittled down some more following the vote on Tuesday...inother words hes hoping tuesdays vote is desicive in his favour and he wins outright and the debate never takes place clever stratergy "

No, there will be a debate on Tuesday evening

By *sianManc OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"BBC1 on Tuesday at 8pm ,,"

Thanks Tony.

The rest please continue the discussion is very very informing and enlightening to me so appreciate it.

"BBC1 on Tuesday at 8pm ,,

Thanks Tony.

The rest please continue the discussion is very very informing and enlightening to me so appreciate it."

. The Tory MPs are holding another vote this afternoon , The candidate who is last and any candidates who get less than 33 votes will be eliminated , those remaining have said they will take place in the debate on BBC1

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Where is the balance?"

It is about the leader of the tory party.No point watching anyway because unless a member of the party we cannot vote so a waste of time,will be watching footy instead

Where is the balance?It is about the leader of the tory party.No point watching anyway because unless a member of the party we cannot vote so a waste of time,will be watching footy instead"

. Now down to 3 , Gove , Hunt and Johnson , so more than likely Gove or Hunt v Johnson in the final ,, is that really the best the tories can do ???

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It's either games by supporters of Boris in pushing Gove above hunt before the rug is pulled or some think the slimy git is a better challenge to Boris..

Or boris's team see hunt as a harder one to beat in the vote with members..

Like a Shakespearean plot..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Or game of drones..

here

Sky are holding a televised debate between the 2 finalists...

Now we may get to hear more detail ...

I hope that whoever is hosting it does a better job then Matlis did on Tuesday night

"Sky are holding a televised debate between the 2 finalists...

Now we may get to hear more detail ...

I hope that whoever is hosting it does a better job then Matlis did on Tuesday night "

. Wasn't Maitlis finest hour but the behaviour of the candidates as they talked over each other was most ungentlemanly ,, are these people not taught any manners at Eton ?

» Add a new message to this topic