FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Social media, more harm than good

Social media, more harm than good

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Do you think that social media is Harming society more than being beneficial?

Does social media give smaller voices a bigger platform?

Would you ever come off social media, do you think you will be happier because of it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's allowed the spread of mis-information, lies and manipulation, there is good to it but the fact that it's lead to a generation of taking anti-vaxxers serious is a huge concern.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Do you think that social media is Harming society more than being beneficial?

Would you ever come off social media, do you think you will be happier because of it?"

I think it is so much easier to be misunderstood on social media.When you type something people take you literally but when spoken they can tell if its in jest for example or you are being ironic.This does not come across in the written word.Thats why i dont use twitter,facebook,instagram etc its so easy to be misunderstood.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Would you ever come off social media, do you think you will be happier because of it?"

Social media isn't inherently bad. Like most technologies it is neutral. It depends on how it is used that can cause a problem.

It can mean that you only see the best parts of people's live so that you feel that yours is inadequate.

It can also mean that you only see information that re-enforces your opinions rather than challenges them.

You could just use it to organise parties, stay in touch with friends and assume the happy pictures are just that; the happy pictures.

West London

Would you ever come off social media, do you think you will be happier because of it?I think it is so much easier to be misunderstood on social media.When you type something people take you literally but when spoken they can tell if its in jest for example or you are being ironic.This does not come across in the written word.Thats why i dont use twitter,facebook,instagram etc its so easy to be misunderstood. "

I agree with misunderstanding being more frequent online. Particularly as it is between strangers.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It's like every innovation - it has an up side and a down side.

For anthropologists, the last decade or so of social media has created the richest collection of material in the history of the human species.

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

Would you ever come off social media,

Never been on it and don’t need it

Bristol East

"Would you ever come off social media,

"

Er, this forum is social media.

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

"Would you ever come off social media,

Er, this forum is social media.

"

Sorry meant Facebook, Twitter

Bristol East

I had a scrapbook when I was growing up to collect stuff.

I have a listing on Facebook and use it as a digital version of a scrapbook - a place to collect memories.

I did not bother with Twitter until I had to open an account to enable me to monitor certain stuff for work.

As accounts go, it's really inactive - no pic, no postings, nothing.

My work has its own account, and decided to "follow" me.

There was no sinister intent, but I found that quite disconcerting.

Your employer following you on social media. No thanks. They removed themselves.

I wouldnt come of it as I use it daily, but yes social media can give the platform to the smaller voices, but it can also control the politics in the main stream more than some think such as not alllowing other opinions than their.

My Facebook is set to the most private settings, and is only there so that I can keep in touch with old friends and distant family.

I don’t discuss politics, in fact it is in my first post, that I don’t want to.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

The BBC researched it and found that only something like 1% of people use social media for news.

There was a massive mental health study done on it too, and it found that having a good breakfast affects your mood more than negative comments on social media do.

Social media can become a focus for depressed people, but it did not cause their depression or make it worse. If you remove social media they are not cured, they stay exactly the same level of depressed.

West London

"The BBC researched it and found that only something like 1% of people use social media for news.

There was a massive mental health study done on it too, and it found that having a good breakfast affects your mood more than negative comments on social media do.

Social media can become a focus for depressed people, but it did not cause their depression or make it worse. If you remove social media they are not cured, they stay exactly the same level of depressed."

News is not the same as opinion.

Most people don't define the articles and shares that they feat as "news" bit it nevertheless shapes their views on what is and is not the state of the world and their own country.

Bristol East

I do not use Facebook for anything political, only personal.

I do see lots of friends sharing stuff that appeals to their way of thinking.

The greatest risk on social media is trapping yourself in an echo chamber.

I like it on here because of the diversity of thinking.

» Add a new message to this topic