FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > What happened to Russian nuclear submersible

What happened to Russian nuclear submersible

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ara J OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Have you followed this story?

A top-secret, nuclear-powered submersible carrying lots of top brass from the Russian Navy.

It's tethered to a mother submarine and is operated by the Defence Ministry's undersea intelligence unit.

It's specially designed to withstand water pressures down to 6000 metres - it does secret things on the seabed, apparently.

A fire on board has killed at least 14. At least half the dead were the ranks of captain or higher.

Russia won't give details, calling it a "state secret".

The Norwegians say there are no unusual radiation readings around the Barents Sea where it was operating.

Suggestions coming out of the USA say it may have been engaged in a firefight by a US submarine.

Talk of emergency meetings in Washington and Moscow have been played down.

Lots of questions, no-one is answering.

Vladimir won't be pleased.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

surprised they admit to 14 dead the official toll for chenobyl according to the russians is still 32.

Bristol East

Officially, I do not think they have said very much.

The Kremlin is having to react to unofficial reports in the Russian media.

This is from Bellona, the credible environmental organisation in Norway:

"The ministry has released nothing on the state of the vessel’s single nuclear reactor. But Norway’s Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority said there had been no spikes in radiation in the Barents Sea area following the deadly fire, according to Reuters.

"President Vladimir Putin, who came under criticism for his slack handling of the Kursk nuclear submarine disaster in 2000, which killed 118 sailors, canceled a scheduled appearance and immediately summoned Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu for a briefing on the blaze.

"During a televised meeting, Putin said at least half of those who perished in the Losharik blaze had been of the rank of captain. Two had previously received the Hero of the Russian Federation award, one of the country’s highest honors.

"Shoigu praised the sailors. “Fourteen submariners have died of poisoning by fumes from the fire,” he told Putin during the meeting. “The fire was extinguished thanks to the crew’s resolute action.”

"Putin ordered Shoigu to Severomorsk to oversee the investigation. The vessel has been recovered from the site of the accident and returned to the base."

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"the official toll for chenobyl according to the russians is still 32."

does that include the director and managers who were executed for deliberately making the No4 reactor blow up and the soldiers ordered onto the roof to shovel the lumps of enriched uranium back into the crater that coated the place? Or is it just the plant workers who died in the explosion?

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Submariners are by their job discription, in a highly dangerous, skilled and demanding job. Your only as safe as the boat that you go to sea in. Fighting fires on board any naval vessel demands bravery, self sacrifice and instant response. All submarine crews have an in depth knowledge of every system on board, including skillful firefighting tactics. Those Russian submariners made an increadable brave sacrifice. The code of honour runs deep in any submarine service, you fight to save the vessel that ultimately keeps you alive. Its also your sea family.

I would spare a thought for those brave submariners who did what they must do, to try and preserve their boat and the crew. I care not for for which nationality they are, they were submariners doing their duty and job.

RIP brave souls.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

We don't know - and we're not likely to any time soon.

near ipswich

"Submariners are by their job discription, in a highly dangerous, skilled and demanding job. Your only as safe as the boat that you go to sea in. Fighting fires on board any naval vessel demands bravery, self sacrifice and instant response. All submarine crews have an in depth knowledge of every system on board, including skillful firefighting tactics. Those Russian submariners made an increadable brave sacrifice. The code of honour runs deep in any submarine service, you fight to save the vessel that ultimately keeps you alive. Its also your sea family.

I would spare a thought for those brave submariners who did what they must do, to try and preserve their boat and the crew. I care not for for which nationality they are, they were submariners doing their duty and job.

RIP brave souls. "

Well said mate that goes for all mariners in my book.

Bristol East

"Submariners are by their job discription, in a highly dangerous, skilled and demanding job. Your only as safe as the boat that you go to sea in. Fighting fires on board any naval vessel demands bravery, self sacrifice and instant response. All submarine crews have an in depth knowledge of every system on board, including skillful firefighting tactics. Those Russian submariners made an increadable brave sacrifice. The code of honour runs deep in any submarine service, you fight to save the vessel that ultimately keeps you alive. Its also your sea family.

RIP brave souls. "

I read The Silent Deep by Peter Hennessey and James Jinks.

Not a job I would want to do, months on end inside a giant cigar tube under tons of water, playing cat and mouse with the Ruskies.

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

It was in pursuit of another high tech Russian sub, powered by an advanced caterpillar drive which renders it almost undetectable, the crew of which were defecting.

I think that the Captain shhhpoke with a Shhhcottish accshent......

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Have you followed this story?

A top-secret, nuclear-powered submersible carrying lots of top brass from the Russian Navy.

It's tethered to a mother submarine and is operated by the Defence Ministry's undersea intelligence unit.

It's specially designed to withstand water pressures down to 6000 metres - it does secret things on the seabed, apparently.

A fire on board has killed at least 14. At least half the dead were the ranks of captain or higher.

The Norwegians say there are no unusual radiation readings around the Barents Sea where it was operating.

Suggestions coming out of the USA say it may have been engaged in a firefight by a US submarine.

"

Sounds like a Hollywood movie

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I recon it sank...

Bristol East

"I recon it sank..."

Not the only one, judging by other threads.

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

There is probably one very clear fact that emerges from the 'information' received about this matter and that is that this submersible vessel and the people in it do not exist for the benefit and welfare of the men, women and children living in the west and the rest of the free world.

Bristol East

True.

So many Captains.

On a submersible.

It must have been something special they were there for.

I read one piece suggesting the Russians are installing mini-charging points on the seabed for the unmanned submarines they are building - underwater drones with warheads capable of causing a tsunami.

The reports a year ago said they were nuclear-powered.

The reports this week said the charging points on the seabed were mini nuclear reactors.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

[Removed by poster at 05/07/19 22:57:44]

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"I recon it sank..."
. Be careful what you post on here folks ,,, the person who suggested the sub sank is no longer with us ,,, ( makes me wonder what happened to them ) ??

Bristol East

Another five dead, this time testing a new missile powered by nuclear energy. Explosion and radiation release at White Sea port.

The Yanks tried and failed during the Cold War to develop a nuclear-powered missile to deliver nuclear warheads.

The Russians are trying.

I’m not surprised they’re trying. Anything Russia has done militarily in the recent past- Bay of Pigs as an example- has been defensive and as a reply to US actions. Either there will come a time when they become more pro-active, or they are responding to similar western threat

Bristol East

Trump is now claiming the US has nuclear-powered missiles.

Every expert will tell you the US abandoned the idea during the Cold War.

Has he just disclosed somethong super secret, or just made stuff up? My bet is the latter.

I think for once, he might be telling the truth, based on US history since the end of WW2

"Trump is now claiming the US has nuclear-powered missiles.

Has he just disclosed somethong super secret, or just made stuff up? My bet is the latter."

The Russians have been secretly testing said nuclear weapons for last few years, the only reason we know is the isotopes showing up in atmospheric testing.

If they have them the Americans will either have them as well or will want them asap.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Project Pluto a Nuclear Ramjet propelled cruise

missile that would not only ruin your day if it landed on you it would also spread radiation as it flew over.

Got to love an arms race. What could possibly go wrong?

Bristol East

Has he just disclosed somethong super secret, or just made stuff up? My bet is the latter..

The Russians have been secretly testing said nuclear weapons for last few years, the only reason we know is the isotopes showing up in atmospheric testing.

If they have them the Americans will either have them as well or will want them asap."

Nothing secret about what the Russians are doing - Putin went on national TV with an animation last year.

They had an accident testing last year that caused a spike in radiation too, but no-one died.

Their other big idea is underwater drones capable of causing a tsunami to drown American cities.

Bristol East

Project Pluto, yes. Madness induced by Cold War paranoia.

They make it public for a very good reason. The world should understand why they make it so.

Bristol East

"It is a bad idea for the President to tell the world the US has secret nuclear-powered weapons and that we have been lying about that for years. Especially if we don't actually have them, which almost certainly we do not."

- Prof David Burbach, US Naval War College

Has he just disclosed somethong super secret, or just made stuff up? My bet is the latter..

If they have them the Americans will either have them as well or will want them asap.

Nothing secret about what the Russians are doing - Putin went on national TV with an animation last year.

They had an accident testing last year that caused a spike in radiation too, but no-one died.

Their other big idea is underwater drones capable of causing a tsunami to drown American cities.

"

Sounds intriguing, to be honest most of the American coastal cities I've visited wouldn't be missed, as trump would say, there absolute shitholes.

Bristol East

Evacuation now underway of homes near the explosion.

If it's a miniature reactor, there will be radioactive fuel fragments to be collected.

If half the dead are ranked captains or above I'd suggest they've been executed Russian style

I thought the future was hypersonic weapons.Is that the same as nuclear powered warheads.

I’ve read that both the Americans and Chinese are developing them

Bristol East

Project Pluto reckoned they could make these things fly at Mach 3.

I don't know what speed the Russians think theirs will go at.

But they are impossible to defend against.

By *reyyaMan  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

When a nuclear test is carried out does anybody know what is being tested?

Bristol East

They are trying to develop a cruise missile powered with nuclear energy.

If it is a ramjet, that means using the heat generated by fission - a nuclear reactor - to superheat the inrushing air and generate thrust.

The exhaust is full of radioactive shit from the fission process.

If the thing has blown up, likely to be a few kilo grammes of enriched uranium fuel roads dispersed with it.

My understanding is it is a conventional explosion involving nuclear materials.

Think dirty bomb rather than nuclear bomb.

Bristol East

Norway detecting traces of iodine in the air above its territory.

That tells you a working reactor has disintegrated.

Makes paying the mortgage that bit more unimportant

Or maybe, bearing in mind there’s nothing we can do about missiles and international relations, even better to concentrate on

near ipswich

"Norway detecting traces of iodine in the air above its territory.

"

Russia will only tell you what russia wants you to know they still say that the death toll from Chernobyl is 31.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Russia will only tell you what russia wants you to know they still say that the death toll from Chernobyl is 31. "

Watch the recent HBO drama "Chernobyl" to see exactly how true that is. Unbelievably scarey to how close we came to disaster.

near ipswich

Russia will only tell you what russia wants you to know they still say that the death toll from Chernobyl is 31.

Watch the recent HBO drama "Chernobyl" to see exactly how true that is. Unbelievably scarey to how close we came to disaster. "

A mate who was there counted 9 inaccuracies of that programme on one hand.

Bristol East

Iodine in the air above Norway was how the world first learned of the Chernobyl accident.

Bristol East

When a reactor is operating, it generates a gas called iodine-131.

Normally, this is contained.

The half-life is 8 days or so, so if you are detecting it in the air you know the containment of a reactor has been breached very recently.

"Have you followed this story?

"

Oh, so some respectful men left home without telling their wives where they were going and were then found in a dark, remote location. Dogging springs to mind, but perhaps they were out subbing?

Watch the recent HBO drama "Chernobyl" to see exactly how true that is. Unbelievably scarey to how close we came to disaster. A mate who was there counted 9 inaccuracies of that programme on one hand. "

Next you'll tell us that he did that single-handedly.

And then you'll tell us that he would have given his left hand to be ambidextrous.

» Add a new message to this topic