FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > When Parliament goes back (or opens or whatever)

When Parliament goes back (or opens or whatever)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, trying to get my head around the fine details of ancient British laws and stuff,

in early September when Parliament goes back, does Boris Johnson or anyone else have the power to stop Parliament from going back or opening or whatever, until after Halloween?

Just wondering.....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

He can try...

The last fucker who tried that without the support of the whole country was Charles 1 and we chopped his head off on the 23rd Jan 1649 on a scaffold outside the Mansion House (Whitehall) for his troubles.

Somehow I doubt that BoJo would have the strength of his convictions to face the axeman asking for a second shirt so that he would stay warm and not be seen to shiver in the cold. I expect that he would have to be dragged out kicking and screaming.

"He can try...

The last fucker who tried that without the support of the whole country was Charles 1 and we chopped his head off on the 23rd Jan 1649 on a scaffold outside the Mansion House (Whitehall) for his troubles.

Somehow I doubt that BoJo would have the strength of his convictions to face the axeman asking for a second shirt so that he would stay warm and not be seen to shiver in the cold. I expect that he would have to be dragged out kicking and screaming."

Bo Jo DID say do or die.

And as far as I know (AFAIK) the death penalty is no longer acceptable punishment in the UK/England/whatever. So Bo Jo can't be executed.

Technically, at the beginning of September, can Bo Jo as prime minister, or any of his representatives refuse to allow the opening or parliament or whatever to be used to force through Brexit?

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Yes BoJo can prorogue (close) parliament including the House of Lords.

Whether he would actually do this remains to be seen. He would have to do it in the Queens name which is dragging her into it which people wont like and it would probably result in a no confidence motion in BoJos government and lead to either a cross party government with a non conservative in charge or a general election.

"Yes BoJo can prorogue (close) parliament including the House of Lords.

Whether he would actually do this remains to be seen. He would have to do it in the Queens name which is dragging her into it which people wont like and it would probably result in a no confidence motion in BoJos government and lead to either a cross party government with a non conservative in charge or a general election."

Okay, so we got this bit about the old fashioned word prorogue.

What I am asking is, at present Parliament is closed? Is it closed? And in September when the politicians get one way tickets to Westminster, will Parliament open, sit, be active, whatever, or does Bo Jo have the power to delay/prorogue etc the sitting of Parliament until after Halloween?

south dublin

Whether he would actually do this remains to be seen. He would have to do it in the Queens name which is dragging her into it which people wont like and it would probably result in a no confidence motion in BoJos government and lead to either a cross party government with a non conservative in charge or a general election.

Okay, so we got this bit about the old fashioned word prorogue.

What I am asking is, at present Parliament is closed? Is it closed? And in September when the politicians get one way tickets to Westminster, will Parliament open, sit, be active, whatever, or does Bo Jo have the power to delay/prorogue etc the sitting of Parliament until after Halloween?"

Technically the power rests in the Queen to close up shop and she does so on advice of the PM once a year. She could refuse to close it but that would probably bring about a constitutional crisis because shes just a figurehead. So odds are, regardless of her feelings, she would agree.

The PM can request this at any time whatsoever. Parliament is currently on holidays, at the moment its scheduled to reopen in September. BoJo could immediately try to close it but that would mean no parliament for 2 more months. Whether its legal or not for him to.do this is currently the subject of a court challenge and tje courts will decide that in the coming weeks.

moston

"

What I am asking is, at present Parliament is closed? Is it closed?"

No, it is in recess and the PM is the only person who can recall it early from recess. The PM and can in theory prorogue parliament during recess and then refuse to call a general election or reopen parliament until after the 31st Oct.

As for there being no death penalty in the UK, that is not so. There is no death penalty on the statute books that can be passed by a court of law. However Parliament is sovereign and can pass any sentence it wants when sitting as a court. Again I refer to Charles 1 who spent his whole trial claiming that no English law gave Parliament the right to try or sentence him. Every MP who voted him guilty signed Charles 1 death warrant, and that set the precedent.

By *ancardiff7Man  over a year ago

Near Cowbridge

"He can try...

Somehow I doubt that BoJo would have the strength of his convictions to face the axeman asking for a second shirt so that he would stay warm and not be seen to shiver in the cold. I expect that he would have to be dragged out kicking and screaming.

Bo Jo DID say do or die.

And as far as I know (AFAIK) the death penalty is no longer acceptable punishment in the UK/England/whatever. So Bo Jo can't be executed.

Technically, at the beginning of September, can Bo Jo as prime minister, or any of his representatives refuse to allow the opening or parliament or whatever to be used to force through Brexit?

"

Apologies for the tangent here but the fact that you use England and the UK interchangeably makes me yearn for a break up of this 'union'.

moston

"Apologies for the tangent here but the fact that you use England and the UK interchangeably makes me yearn for a break up of this 'union'."

I am not using them interchangeably. I am using them correctly. In 1649 it was the English Parliament that convicted Charles 1 of Treason against the English people, not the UK Parliament because the UK did not come into being until the Act of Union in 1707. However it is quite possible that the UK Parliament will end up sitting in judgment over BoJo if he usurps its powers and brexit turns out to be as bad as many (including leading brexiteers) think it will be. Before anyone tells me that every leading brexiteer is saying it will be fine, don't listen to what they are saying, take note of what they are doing!

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

As per usual. the constitution is the solution.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Frankly I don't give a fuck, whatever happens will happen

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"So, trying to get my head around the fine details of ancient British laws and stuff,

in early September when Parliament goes back, does Boris Johnson or anyone else have the power to stop Parliament from going back or opening or whatever, until after Halloween?

Just wondering....."

A court case has started in Edinburgh to establish if he does have these powers.

It'll probably go all the way to the Supreme Court.

Bristol East

"

If he did, I suspect the Bercow and the MPs would simply convene Parliament in a different location.

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

Bo jo does not have to do anything when parliament resumed just tread water till the 31st of October.When by default we will be out of the EU.

south dublin

"Bo jo does not have to do anything when parliament resumed just tread water till the 31st of October.When by default we will be out of the EU."

Parliament has already used the indicative votes process to say they wont support a no deal exit so it seems unlikely that BoJo will be able to do nothing and allow it to happen. At some point, if parliament is sitting, then theyll force something other than a no deal exit even if its just an extensio

Bristol East

Yes, we are about to join the league of banana republics.

"Bo jo does not have to do anything when parliament resumed just tread water till the 31st of October.When by default we will be out of the EU.

Parliament has already used the indicative votes process to say they wont support a no deal exit so it seems unlikely that BoJo will be able to do nothing and allow it to happen. At some point, if parliament is sitting, then theyll force something other than a no deal exit even if its just an extensio "

no more extensions please there could be a woman on the moon before we've left

Near Cowbridge

"Apologies for the tangent here but the fact that you use England and the UK interchangeably makes me yearn for a break up of this 'union'.

I am not using them interchangeably. I am using them correctly."

Bristol East

The United Kingdom has existed only since 1707.

Anything before that is separate sovereign countries.

English history is just that.

England ceased to exist as a state in 1707.

Scotland ceased to exist as a state in 1707.

Before then, it was an English Parliament and a Scottish Parliament.

English don't want theirs back.

I think the Welsh got rolled over before 1707.

The Irish took a bit longer.

It's all going backwards now.

Back to where it started.

portsmouth

"Bo jo does not have to do anything when parliament resumed just tread water till the 31st of October.When by default we will be out of the EU.

Parliament has already used the indicative votes process to say they wont support a no deal exit so it seems unlikely that BoJo will be able to do nothing and allow it to happen. At some point, if parliament is sitting, then theyll force something other than a no deal exit even if its just an extensio "

An extension, if Bojo wanted to ask for one, or if it was possible for parliament to force him to ask for one can only be granted by the 27 member states of the EU. It only takes one of those member states to say no and that extension cannot be granted.What is in it for the EU to grant such extension?

Bristol East

a) it avoids being blamed for the fallout

b) it preserves the world's biggest trading bloc and stops it being weakened

c) it keeps open the possibility of Articla 50 being revoked.

If the UK does actually leave, Article 50 is dead. Article 218 applies to whatever comes next.

portsmouth

"a) it avoids being blamed for the fallout

b) it preserves the world's biggest trading bloc and stops it being weakened

c) it keeps open the possibility of Articla 50 being revoked.

If the UK does actually leave, Article 50 is dead. Article 218 applies to whatever comes next."

Has parliament not already voted that article 50 will not be revoke?

south dublin

Parliament has already used the indicative votes process to say they wont support a no deal exit so it seems unlikely that BoJo will be able to do nothing and allow it to happen. At some point, if parliament is sitting, then theyll force something other than a no deal exit even if its just an extensio no more extensions please there could be a woman on the moon before we've left"

Mechanic: We've fixed the steering and the windshield but not the brakes yet.

Brexiters:Im tired of waiting, I want to drive now.

Mechanic: But the brakes dont work.

Brexiters: I dont care Im TIRED OF WAITING!!!

Parliament has already used the indicative votes process to say they wont support a no deal exit so it seems unlikely that BoJo will be able to do nothing and allow it to happen. At some point, if parliament is sitting, then theyll force something other than a no deal exit even if its just an extensio no more extensions please there could be a woman on the moon before we've left

Brexiters: I dont care Im TIRED OF WAITING!!!"

They had 3 year's to fix it.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Parliament has already used the indicative votes process to say they wont support a no deal exit so it seems unlikely that BoJo will be able to do nothing and allow it to happen. At some point, if parliament is sitting, then theyll force something other than a no deal exit even if its just an extensio no more extensions please there could be a woman on the moon before we've left

Brexiters: I dont care Im TIRED OF WAITING!!!They had 3 year's to fix it. "

Taking it to a mechanic who can fix brakes - quickly

Near Cowbridge

"The United Kingdom has existed only since 1707.

"

Thank god.

Bristol East

"

Brexiters: I dont care Im TIRED OF WAITING!!!"

Brexit is like a car crash in slow motion.

You can tighten the seat belts.

Reinforce the bumpers.

Fill up with petrol.

But you know there is a head-on collision about to impact you.

Bristol East

"The United Kingdom has existed only since 1707.

Thank god. "

Not sure he (or she) has anything to do with this

"He can try...

Bo Jo DID say do or die.

Apologies for the tangent here but the fact that you use England and the UK interchangeably makes me yearn for a break up of this 'union'."

I agree. I believe that a majority of Brexit supported would like England to be out of the United Kingdom as well as out of the European Union. Why do I say this? Simply, I see much more St George's Cross flag waving than Union Jack waving.

Near Cowbridge

Brexit may enable the break up of the union.

It's not an anti England issue for the vast majority of Welsh nationalists. It's an anti Westminster issue.

Interesting times!

"He can try...

Bo Jo DID say do or die.

Apologies for the tangent here but the fact that you use England and the UK interchangeably makes me yearn for a break up of this 'union'.

I agree. I believe that a majority of Brexit supported would like England to be out of the United Kingdom as well as out of the European Union. Why do I say this? Simply, I see much more St George's Cross flag waving than Union Jack waving."

You're giving too much credit there. Most of the st George's cross waving brexit types aren't thinking about what the flag represents, what brexit means or what the consequences are.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"

Brexiters: I dont care Im TIRED OF WAITING!!!

Brexit is like a car crash in slow motion.

You can tighten the seat belts.

Reinforce the bumpers.

Fill up with petrol.

But you know there is a head-on collision about to impact you.

Atleast you never bored us all with the falling of the cliff againnnnnn lol

"

» Add a new message to this topic