Raising the pension age to 75

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eavenscentit OP   Couple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Any thoughts or fears ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

I just feel sorry for the younger generation coming up. They are just hoping you die before you get to the pension age then they don't have to pay you out. It's okay if you are a civil servant they will be able to retire before 75.

Most other countries look after the old, just need to watch the real marigold hotel series which was on the BBC even the communist country's.

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

Its a shame that the National Lottery name is already taken.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

my retierment age went up under tony blair first after they plunderd the pensions.from then on if they can do it once they can do it again the general public dont have any say on how the country is run.only parliment and big money have a say.has been that way forever everywhere

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

This is an idea from right-wing think tank, isn't it?

Don't expect to see this in any party manifesto.

Too many older people like to vote.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's gonna happen.

State pension wasn't designed to give support to most of the population for 20 tears of their lives.

It was there to protect a small number in the last few years.

I can't remember the exact numbers but something like 40 years ago there were 10 workers for every pensioner.

Today its about two for one.

Soon we will be top heavy.

The social contract has seem scope creep. Eventually it will break.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

People live a lot longer now and are either going to have to pay more or work longer.When the pension age was lowered from 70 to 65 in 1925 the life expectancy of a man was around 60 also most people left school at 14.It was a just above 65 in 1950 and most left school at 15 y/o.In 1970 it was 68.So some could argue that its only the people who retired in the last 30 years who have had the best of it.As life expectancy rises and more people start work later in life then its either pay more or work longer as its unsustainable in its present form.

We can’t afford old people..

The boomers will have drained the pension pot dry very soon.

You either increase the working population more kids or immigrants or you increase taxes.

I doubt euthanasia will be a vote winner so i am omitting that option.

Bristol East

You can argue the NHS has been very successful at raising life expectancy.

That said, there is still huge variation between prosperous and deprived areas.

And I believe the rise in life expectancy has stalled in the last decade.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

With projected employment rates likely to fall, more people will have patchy employment rates. It would be better to increase tax collection, especially for organizations that play the system - where they make money based upon using the infrastructure that others taxes pay for, but they don't pay for themselves. Appropriate taxation will be needed to support a growth in people who age, spend less time in work and to fund retirement. I don't know the details of this planned change but a slowing down of increased retirement age would be ideal, giving a greater period for an alternative life path for younger people to be established.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

They keep telling people to live healthy lives it is costing the country a fortune lol.

Seriously it is a big problem but people are healthier and capable of working longer but not people in manual jobs.Yes we are healthier in many ways but we cannot cure arthritis etc.

I think that retirement age should be linked to the kind of work you do.Example if you work in an office higher retirement age and a laborour a lower retirement age.

Ok just an idea

barnstaple

I work in health: you ring 999 , get a 70 yr old police officer deaf, then 74 yr old paramedics one with arthritis and in A/E you get a slow receptionist who has early dementia 68 yrs. The nurses range between 50-75 all totally knackered, living with long term conditions.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

It'll happen. Not sure what sort of jobs we'll be doing, though. Employment is set to change in a big way before a lot of us reach 75.

As has already been said, it's basically to make sure you're not claiming for that long before you croak it.

Start saving for your own retirement folks. I'm not planning for their to be a state pension when I get there... If there is, bonus.

"Start saving for your own retirement folks. I'm not planning for their to be a state pension when I get there... If there is, bonus.

"

Exactly .There will be no state pension in 30 years .Invest in property or a good pension if you haven’t already.

"Start saving for your own retirement folks. I'm not planning for their to be a state pension when I get there... If there is, bonus.

Exactly .There will be no state pension in 30 years .Invest in property or a good pension if you haven’t already. "

Not property!*

Diversify. And take all the tax breaks you can on pensions.

* this is not financial advice!

Cost of Social Care (especially for Old folk) plus the cost of NHS plus the Cost of the State Pension is just not sustainable with the projected rise in population.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"They keep telling people to live healthy lives it is costing the country a fortune lol.

Seriously it is a big problem but people are healthier and capable of working longer but not people in manual jobs.Yes we are healthier in many ways but we cannot cure arthritis etc.

I think that retirement age should be linked to the kind of work you do.Example if you work in an office higher retirement age and a laborour a lower retirement age.

Ok just an idea"

its a great idea will never happen tho pity

upton wirral

"

Very wise thinking

"They keep telling people to live healthy lives it is costing the country a fortune lol.

Ok just an idea its a great idea will never happen tho pity "

Id imagine if state pension age went up, this gap could be filled by unemployment benefits.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

It is a rather strange idea at a time when automation and the introduction of more and more complex computer controlled robots and AI systems are reducing the opportunities for mass employment that our government should be looking to extend the working life of our population. If one was being cynical and looked at everything this governing party has done over the last 9 years it would not be hard to arrive at a conclusion that they are deliberately putting in place the conditions that will lead to the premature deaths of millions so that those at the top can hoard even more wealth.

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

"

I've been saying that since Dave Cameron made it mandatory for companies to provide a work place pension scheme - that the long term plan was for these to replace the state pension. My work pension pays out at 63 and I plan on being gone then.

"I work in health: you ring 999 , get a 70 yr old police officer deaf, then 74 yr old paramedics one with arthritis and in A/E you get a slow receptionist who has early dementia 68 yrs. The nurses range between 50-75 all totally knackered, living with long term conditions."

Not like that here in North Wales.

You ring 999 and get told it's not an emergency. You are invited to go to the waiting room at the hospital. Then you are made to wait until you drop dead which means the waiting list has shortened.

By *pitfiremk10Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"We can’t afford old people..

You either increase the working population more kids or immigrants or you increase taxes.

I doubt euthanasia will be a vote winner so i am omitting that option. "

I wonder if when you reach 70 yrs

of age you will say oh you can't afford me so I shall euthanase myself?

Bristol East

"Cost of Social Care (especially for Old folk) plus the cost of NHS plus the Cost of the State Pension is just not sustainable with the projected rise in population. "

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?

"We can’t afford old people..

I doubt euthanasia will be a vote winner so i am omitting that option.

I wonder if when you reach 70 yrs

of age you will say oh you can't afford me so I shall euthanase myself?"

It’s not a vote winner.

thornaby

"Cost of Social Care (especially for Old folk) plus the cost of NHS plus the Cost of the State Pension is just not sustainable with the projected rise in population.

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?"

they could employ British workers it’s not like it’s a skilled job is it

"Cost of Social Care (especially for Old folk) plus the cost of NHS plus the Cost of the State Pension is just not sustainable with the projected rise in population.

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?they could employ British workers it’s not like it’s a skilled job is it "

Prisoners should be used to pick fruit n veg and it will get the out the big house into the fresh air.

I've been saying that since Dave Cameron made it mandatory for companies to provide a work place pension scheme - that the long term plan was for these to replace the state pension. My work pension pays out at 63 and I plan on being gone then."

Thats more a reflecfion that the state pension is the bare minimum, and the death of final salary schemes mean more people will be struggling. Current savings levels are way too low to get rid of state pension. It's should be more like 20% not 8.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

So what do think the answer is, besides letting Harold Shipman out of prison. Oh he's dead. OK J.C. you got the job.

thornaby

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?they could employ British workers it’s not like it’s a skilled job is it

Prisoners should be used to pick fruit n veg and it will get the out the big house into the fresh air. "

aw get the young ppl to pick it I’ll wait for our young are lazy freeloaders now lol

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?"

Migrant workers are only a short term fix..in years to come people will look back and say they were slave labour.

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?

Migrant workers are only a short term fix..in years to come people will look back and say they were slave labour."

Would robots and automation be a long term fix..?

near ipswich

France have plenty and Macron is going to try to reform the pensions in france very soon as its also not sustainable.More troubles ahead as the unions are against it.So i guess its nothing to do with migrant workers but people living longer and not paying enough.

Migrant workers are only a short term fix..in years to come people will look back and say they were slave labour.

"

A balanced economy and stable but decreasing population is the fix..

A balanced economy and stable but decreasing population is the fix.."

How do you reduce the population?

We are predicted to gain 3.5 million citizens over the next 10 years..

A balanced economy and stable but decreasing population is the fix..

How do you reduce the population?

We are predicted to gain 3.5 million citizens over the next 10 years.."

Only 4 ways to reduce the population. Inputs ...decrease rate of births or rate of people arriving from abroad...or... Outputs. Increase rate of deaths or rate of people leaving for another country.......

So unless you introduce euthanasia, you're reducing the working population today (net negative migration) 9r in the future.

Leading too a greater ratio of retirees (or ill health) to workers.

Which could be solved by Taxing corporations more... Or increasing IHT (but that would need to be a lot)

Or its increase personal or family responsibility and reduce reliance / expectation of the state to support.

Tax cuts for having one child .?

Or maybe zero inheritance tax for volunteers for euthanasia.

A complete ban on immigrants.

Sending old people to India .Out sourcing elderly care to poorer countries with lower labour costs.

"Tax cuts for having one child .?

Sending old people to India .Out sourcing elderly care to poorer countries with lower labour costs."

All possibilities but far too political and just nibbling at the edges. May not be this Century but a mega WW3 or a massive meteor strike like the one that wiped out most of the dinasors will solve the problem and reset the human evolution which we are making a making a mess of..

"Tax cuts for having one child .?

Sending old people to India .Out sourcing elderly care to poorer countries with lower labour costs.

All possibilities but far too political and just nibbling at the edges. May not be this Century but a mega WW3 or a massive meteor strike like the one that wiped out most of the dinasors will solve the problem and reset the human evolution which we are making a making a mess of.."

A little drastic.I think we will find a solution or a solution will be imposed upon us.Or maybe a tiny bacteria will solve the problem.

Portland

Alternatively ignore brexit. Stay in the EU. Centralize the British banking saving and pensions system in Brussels.

Give nato control over the British army navy and air force, plus our nuclear arsenal. Keep flooding the uk with migrants.

Let them control our media outlets. Ban all U.S. social media platforms plus youtube and bitchute the like.

And without us knowing Europe has become a fascist state run by criminals.

Nah our politicians would not do that would they.

Forgive me folks for being a cynic. or just plain stupid.

Ha ha I already know the answer.

Any way just to finish of .

Who and what are the names below. and there track record.

Ursula Von Der Leyan.

Charles Michel.

Christine Lagarde.

"Alternatively ignore brexit. Stay in the EU. Centralize the British banking saving and pensions system in Brussels.

Give nato control over the British army navy and air force, plus our nuclear arsenal. Keep flooding the uk with migrants.

Let them control our media outlets. Ban all U.S. social media platforms plus youtube and bitchute the like.

Ursula Von Der Leyan.

Charles Michel.

Christine Lagarde. "

You have a wonderful imagination.Theres a great book to made out of all of that.Your talent for fiction is wasted in here.

By *axwellCouple  over a year ago

south lakes

Social media put things on like that to intimidate people into thinking that the pension age is going to 75 when it might not be, they targeting people to vote against you other parties so they get the vote...

"Social media put things on like that to intimidate people into thinking that the pension age is going to 75 when it might not be, they targeting people to vote against you other parties so they get the vote... "

So by saying we will have to work till 75 which way do they want us to vote to prevent this..

I do agree those pesky algorithms are harvesting data and profiling us.

Portland

"Alternatively ignore brexit. Stay in the EU. Centralize the British banking saving and pensions system in Brussels.

Ursula Von Der Leyan.

Charles Michel.

Christine Lagarde.

You have a wonderful imagination.Theres a great book to made out of all of that.Your talent for fiction is wasted in here. "

Why thank you Bob. I will take that as a compliment.

I hope that it stays fiction. As million will die, and nobody will know, and the ones who do won't care.

By *axwellCouple  over a year ago

south lakes

"Social media put things on like that to intimidate people into thinking that the pension age is going to 75 when it might not be, they targeting people to vote against you other parties so they get the vote...

So by saying we will have to work till 75 which way do they want us to vote to prevent this..

"

So the Conservatives say there putting age up to 75 social media publicise it so people vote for anyone other than Conservatives even if it's not true, people believe social media....

"Social media put things on like that to intimidate people into thinking that the pension age is going to 75 when it might not be, they targeting people to vote against you other parties so they get the vote...

So the Conservatives say there putting age up to 75 social media publicise it so people vote for anyone other than Conservatives even if it's not true, people believe social media...."

Are saying IDS is trying to get voters to vote for anyone but conservative.

You do know he’s a conservative and the suggested raise to 75 came from a centre right think tank.

I think he’s probably correct in raising it and being honest about the pension time bomb on the horizon.

barnstaple

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?they could employ British workers it’s not like it’s a skilled job is it "

I would argue there is plenty of skill in caring for another human being with dignity and respect.

Today’s young people are tomorrow’s pensioners!

I wonder if they will have the same views when they get older

thornaby

Where does UK find the social care workers when it prohibits migrant workers from filling jobs paying less than £36k a year?they could employ British workers it’s not like it’s a skilled job is it

I would argue there is plenty of skill in caring for another human being with dignity and respect."

agree 100% but It's not a skilled job most have a day or two in house crap training then there left to care that's why so many fuck ups are happening like the two teenage girls took there own life in Teesside at a nhs trust 13 staff suspended but all still working elsewhere it's a joke

By *ibblingnewtWoman  over a year ago

by the sea

"

That’s exactly what they are doing already, alarm services dispensing pills, movement sensors, ready meals that are microwaved

Closamat toilets

And I bet soon it will be showers that wash and dry, paper clothes, computerised care equipment that controls heating lights you can have catheter and stoma bags attached to a machine for waste and a voice that tells you to go to bed

Automatic drink and food dispensers

It’s all possible

That’s exactly what they are doing already, alarm services dispensing pills, movement sensors, ready meals that are microwaved

Closamat toilets

And I bet soon it will be showers that wash and dry, paper clothes, computerised care equipment that controls heating lights you can have catheter and stoma bags attached to a machine for waste and a voice that tells you to go to bed

It’s all possible "

The Japanese government have already decided that robots caring for the elderly is the way forwards.The Japanese government has been funding development of elderly care robots to help fill a projected shortfall of 380,000 specialized workers by 2025.

thornaby

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

The Japanese government have already decided that robots caring for the elderly is the way forwards.The Japanese government has been funding development of elderly care robots to help fill a projected shortfall of 380,000 specialized workers by 2025.

"

it's a crying fucking shame when the disabled and elderly after be looked after of a robot ffs

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

it's a crying fucking shame when the disabled and elderly after be looked after of a robot ffs "

I agree a human touch would be preferred.

near ipswich

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

it's a crying fucking shame when the disabled and elderly after be looked after of a robot ffs

"

Have they perfected the robots to wiping peoples arses yet?

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

Have they perfected the robots to wiping peoples arses yet? "

Bidets.

thornaby

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

Have they perfected the robots to wiping peoples arses yet? "

wiping a persons arse is the easy bit it's about the careing part actually giving a fuck about someone talking to them showing them respect

Ok just an idea"

One thing we actually agree on.

Obviously there should be other factors, but a blanket retirement age just isn't applicable in a day and age where people re-skill and move jobs frequently.

I mean, you can be a research nurse and have a job with minimal physical labour, or you can be a ward nurse and actually have a lot of labour in proportion to what you are trained to do, especially given that nursing is still a female dominated career.

by the sea

I think the current system is wrong anyway

State pension or if you haven’t you get exactly the same or more with pension credits housing benefit council tax benefit , any private pensions means no credits, savings over a set amount means no credits, on a full pension and a carer means no carers allowance but no pension means you get a carers allowance

All it does is make everyone feel they wish they hadn’t bothered when people that haven’t worked get paid a decent pension and people that have saved or contributed just get the minimum state pension, no housing benefit, no council tax benefit, no carers allowance (if you care for a spouse) and many do and any money left will be eaten up with care home costs if one ends up in care

That’s system is unfair

near ipswich

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

Have they perfected the robots to wiping peoples arses yet? wiping a persons arse is the easy bit it's about the careing part actually giving a fuck about someone talking to them showing them respect "

That seems to have all gone out the window now no one seems to have any respect these days.

by the sea

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

Have they perfected the robots to wiping peoples arses yet? wiping a persons arse is the easy bit it's about the careing part actually giving a fuck about someone talking to them showing them respect That seems to have all gone out the window now no one seems to have any respect these days."

I think I’d prefer a nice robot

barnstaple

Closamat toilets

It’s all possible

it's a crying fucking shame when the disabled and elderly after be looked after of a robot ffs "

No one would dare suggest kids with a disability/illness who will never and, have never contributed to society should be looked after by robots.

The trouble with our pension system is people think they are "paying into it" so due a pension. But pay as you go relies on trust. And such "social contracts" are easily broken without any qualms.

"The trouble with our pension system is people think they are "paying into it" so due a pension. But pay as you go relies on trust. And such "social contracts" are easily broken without any qualms. "

We're currently spunking 600-800 mil a week down the brexit toilet. So there will be no money left for pensions.

UK pensions were never meant to be sole-source income unlike many in Europe. Trouble is, hardly anybody understood/stands this and relies entirely on it

upton wirral

"It is a rather strange idea at a time when automation and the introduction of more and more complex computer controlled robots and AI systems are reducing the opportunities for mass employment that our government should be looking to extend the working life of our population. If one was being cynical and looked at everything this governing party has done over the last 9 years it would not be hard to arrive at a conclusion that they are deliberately putting in place the conditions that will lead to the premature deaths of millions so that those at the top can hoard even more wealth."
Your thinking is warped beyond any political view either left or right

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Any thoughts or fears ?"

The phrase being worked to death comes to mind when seeing that.

Prisoners should be used to pick fruit n veg and it will get the out the big house into the fresh air. "

It's really not a daft idea.

Prisoners should be used to pick fruit n veg and it will get the out the big house into the fresh air.

It's really not a daft idea."

Trouble is, members of the public can't be forced to do anything....

Meanwhile, political prisoners CAN be forced to do anything that their captors demand of them.

by the sea

“Bring back the poor houses” will be the cry from the house of lords at this rate

Meanwhile, political prisoners CAN be forced to do anything that their captors demand of them."

In my youth I traveled Australia and in Queensland I picked veg in the fields alongside prisoners.They got some money and most I chatted to ,saw it as an opportunity to get out of the prison for a day and earn a little cash.If you were well behaved in prison you got offered the opportunity to pick veg and get outside.

Meanwhile, political prisoners CAN be forced to do anything that their captors demand of them.

In my youth I traveled Australia and in Queensland I picked veg in the fields alongside prisoners.They got some money and most I chatted to ,saw it as an opportunity to get out of the prison for a day and earn a little cash.If you were well behaved in prison you got offered the opportunity to pick veg and get outside.

"

As a self employed person resident in the UK and dealing with some of the most high profile buyers in the whole world, I see where you're coming from!

» Add a new message to this topic