FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Gunpowder, treason or plot?

Gunpowder, treason or plot?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The 31st of October is Halloween.

Let's have a quick look at Halloween. Perhaps the definitive evening of the change from light to dark?

Guy Fawkes. Some say he entered Parliament with good intentions. Some say he entered Parliament whilst being hell bent on blowing up Parliament.

By the 5th of November, will we have a new Saint to worship, or a new Guy to burn on the bonfire?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

There will be a shortage of matches

"There will be a shortage of matches "

Swan Vesta

or

Englands glory

"That" is the question.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The 31st of October is Halloween.

Let's have a quick look at Halloween. Perhaps the definitive evening of the change from light to dark?

Guy Fawkes. Some say he entered Parliament with good intentions. Some say he entered Parliament whilst being hell bent on blowing up Parliament.

By the 5th of November, will we have a new Saint to worship, or a new Guy to burn on the bonfire?"

Are us Catholics attempting to blow up Parliament again ?

By the 5th of November, will we have a new Saint to worship, or a new Guy to burn on the bonfire?

Are us Catholics attempting to blow up Parliament again ?"

I'm not sure... I believe that he abandoned his mothers Catholicism and became Anglican some time around when he started attending Eton? At least, that's what wikipedia says, so it must be right?

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Richard Hammond did a good documentary where he got engineers and explosives experts to see what would have happened had the gunpowder plot resulted in an explosion. Spectacular stuff. It's on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/2jCZtvbFv7A

Are us Catholics attempting to blow up Parliament again ?

I'm not sure... I believe that he abandoned his mothers Catholicism and became Anglican some time around when he started attending Eton? At least, that's what wikipedia says, so it must be right?"

His Mothers Family were Recusare so it stands to reason he was bought up that way.

The Catholic Mass became illegal in England in

1559, under Queen Elizabeth I’s Act of Uniformity.

Thereafter Catholic observance became a furtive

and dangerous affair, with heavy penalties levied

on those, known as recusants, who refused to

attend Anglican church services. The seeds of

a new underground church were planted with

the foundation in 1568 of the College at Douai

in Flanders (now northern France), from which

missionary priests were trained and sent out to

sympathetic safe houses in England. Many of

these priests were to meet death by hanging,

drawing and quartering in the Elizabethan period.

Id say that'd be enough to pretend you were anglican for a bit.

By *ess n BenCouple  over a year ago

Didcot

It’s all very confusing reading some of the posts on the political forum

There seems to be a lot of people who are either well connected within the corridors of power or who are just guessing the outcome of brexit but yesterday I was talking to a very large farming company CEO I said I bet you are dreading brexit, he looked at me and said it can’t come quick enough

He said all the restraints of the eu would be gone ie set a side fields to keep prices artificially

He said his company has already had approaches from outside the eu for wheat, barley and beef

It’s all so confusing with what people think will happen

By the way I was a remainder but now not so sure

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"It’s all very confusing reading some of the posts on the political forum

There seems to be a lot of people who are either well connected within the corridors of power or who are just guessing the outcome of brexit but yesterday I was talking to a very large farming company CEO I said I bet you are dreading brexit, he looked at me and said it can’t come quick enough

He said all the restraints of the eu would be gone ie set a side fields to keep prices artificially

He said his company has already had approaches from outside the eu for wheat, barley and beef

By the way I was a remainder but now not so sure "

The CEO of a what? Note, not a farmer. I guess he is like the CEO's of factory fishing companies who saw EU fishing quotas and no fishing zones as unreasonable from the 80's to date.

Now lets examine the reasons for EU set aside rules and why they are so despised by the directors of agribusinesses and fishing businesses. The EU have a vested interest in ensuring that the food supply is sustainable, whereas a CEO's only interest is maximising profits today, they have no interest in ensuring sustainability. The EU has used set aside to ensure future food supply after it became clear that unless there was regulation the future food supply was being endangered by greedy food production corporations. To be clear prior to the introduction of set aside food production land was being over exploited, yields were dropping and the agricorps were turning large swathes of UK farmland into a dust-bowl. Looks like they see brexit as a chance to return to the bad old ways.

But hey, what do I know, the CEO you were talking too sees an opportunity to make a quick buck so it must be good.

By *ess n BenCouple  over a year ago

Didcot

The CEO of a what? Note, not a farmer. I guess he is like the CEO's of factory fishing companies who saw EU fishing quotas and no fishing zones as unreasonable from the 80's to date.

Now lets examine the reasons for EU set aside rules and why they are so despised by the directors of agribusinesses and fishing businesses. The EU have a vested interest in ensuring that the food supply is sustainable, whereas a CEO's only interest is maximising profits today, they have no interest in ensuring sustainability. The EU has used set aside to ensure future food supply after it became clear that unless there was regulation the future food supply was being endangered by greedy food production corporations. To be clear prior to the introduction of set aside food production land was being over exploited, yields were dropping and the agricorps were turning large swathes of UK farmland into a dust-bowl. Looks like they see brexit as a chance to return to the bad old ways.

But hey, what do I know, the CEO you were talking too sees an opportunity to make a quick buck so it must be good."

Ok a twist of words the guy owns 3 big farms whether you call him a owner or tip your hat and call him guv

But I would rather listen to someone who is in a business that supposedly is at risk of leaving the eu

As I said I was a staunch remain believer but reading some of the real nasty things that have been said against people who do not hold the same thoughts as them is making me think perhaps we would be better off out of the eu

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Ok a twist of words the guy owns 3 big farms whether you call him a owner or tip your hat and call him guv

But I would rather listen to someone who is in a business that supposedly is at risk of leaving the eu

As I said I was a staunch remain believer but reading some of the real nasty things that have been said against people who do not hold the same thoughts as them is making me think perhaps we would be better off out of the eu "

OK, don't take my word for it. Go read about how the mustard farming industry of Norfolk was nearly wiped out by agribusiness greed and only saved by raiding the Svalbard seed vault a few years ago. Maybe do a little reading about the harm UK agricultural mono-culture deserts have done to the soil and how chemical pesticides and soil enhancers used to artificially increase yields has contaminated and poisoned watercourses.

Or you can take the word of a man who owns 3 farms and can't wait to get back to r@ping the land rather than husbanding it.

But hey, what do I know, the CEO you were talking too sees an opportunity to make a quick buck so it must be good.

Ok a twist of words the guy owns 3 big farms whether you call him a owner or tip your hat and call him guv

As I said I was a staunch remain believer but reading some of the real nasty things that have been said against people who do not hold the same thoughts as them is making me think perhaps we would be better off out of the eu "

That's silly.

Just because some remainers on here aren't very nice people in your eyes. No comment from me either way. That doesn't some how make Brexit a positive in any way.

Tony Blair is a remainer FFS.

And it's not like leavers have good people on their side either. Rees Mogg, Johnson, Farage etc.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

At the risk of adding to the 'nasty things', that's a really silly opinion.

People being mean doesn't make what they say invalid or change the reality of what a no deal Brexit would be like.

Cmon now.

» Add a new message to this topic