FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit needs to be stopped at any cost

Brexit needs to be stopped at any cost

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Are the people finally waking up to see who boris really is? They are even urging people to start to demonstrate outside nr 10.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"Are the people finally waking up to see who boris really is? They are even urging people to start to demonstrate outside nr 10."

It's a right-wing coup

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Are the people finally waking up to see who boris really is? They are even urging people to start to demonstrate outside nr 10."

What have I missed lol

I'm 4600 miles away and not watched any news

I think it’s time we let Boris get his way, leave with a no deal . When the inevitable happens and the country is plunged into a self imposed recession Boris and his cronies will either leave or be pushed and be gone forever, those who voted to leave will either be to embarrassed to admit it or be brave enough to admit it was a mistake. We can then re apply to rejoin the EU and this sorry , embarrassing period can be left to history .

Bristol East

There won't be any "we" left to apply.

Not after the Balkanisation of Britain.

Where funnily enough Michael Heseltine tweeted his "constitutional outrage" from.

"Are the people finally waking up to see who boris really is? They are even urging people to start to demonstrate outside nr 10.

What have I missed lol

I'm 4600 miles away and not watched any news "

Boris is now a dictator.

People still think he's great.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Are the people finally waking up to see who boris really is? They are even urging people to start to demonstrate outside nr 10.

What have I missed lol

I'm 4600 miles away and not watched any news "

Nothing happening really ...

Nothing to worry about

As you were

"There won't be any "we" left to apply.

Not after the Balkanisation of Britain.

Where funnily enough Michael Heseltine tweeted his "constitutional outrage" from.

"

There will be. In the following years history will not look kindly on those who voted to leave, imagine how embarrassing it will be for people to admit to voting for a no deal brexit and plunging the country into an economic meltdown . Imagine having to admit to your grand children you were partly responsible for the mess that will now ensue? The brave ones will admit their mistakes, the weak will deny they voted to leave and the deluded will stay deluded .

What have I missed lol

Nothing to worry about

As you were "

I bet your glad you didn’t vote on the referendum? I almost wish I hadn’t now

It's a right-wing coup

"

That is right it is that too.

What have I missed lol

Boris is now a dictator.

People still think he's great."

Yes, lots have happened, that is right he is that, this could be a start of a dictatorship, the reason they like him is cos he is funny.

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

""" Brexit needs to be stopped at any cost """"

Errrrrr.........why ???

"""" Brexit needs to be stopped at any cost """"

Errrrrr.........why ???"

Because it's the biggest injury a nation has ever inflicted upon itself.

Who wouldn't want to stop it?

here

What have I missed lol

Nothing to worry about

As you were

I bet your glad you didn’t vote on the referendum? I almost wish I hadn’t now "

Yes

It was on the news that over 300 000 have signed a petition to stop boris suspending the parliament.

here

"It was on the news that over 300 000 have signed a petition to stop boris suspending the parliament."

Just another 14.4 million to go to match the number of people who voted to leave the Eu

Bolton

Errrrrr.........why ???

Because it's the biggest injury a nation has ever inflicted upon itself. "

Is that definitely the case ??

There are others who see BREXIT as an opportunity.

Errrrrr.........why ???

There are others who see BREXIT as an opportunity."

There will be individual winners. But I've never seen a strong case for the wider opportunity.

Errrrrr.........why ???

There are others who see BREXIT as an opportunity."

It is definitely the case.

But yeah sure. There is opportunity, for the Americans and other countries to nail us with one sided trade deals. Opportunity for some ultra rich to continue to avoid paying taxes. Opportunity for Rees Mogg to play the currency markets. Opportunity for the removal of workers rights and food safety standards. Or a million other ways for the rich and powerful to benefit at our expense. Of course, there's no argument there.

But there is no benefit to the UK or ordinary citizens.

Bolton

Errrrrr.........why ???

"

Hmmmmm...... Think there are there are some around who might challenge that. Just as one example, the German people voting Hitler into power would probably be regarded as more catastrophic.

Bolton

Errrrrr.........why ???

But yeah sure. There is opportunity, for the Americans and other countries to nail us with one sided trade deals. Opportunity for some ultra rich to continue to avoid paying taxes. Opportunity for Rees Mogg to play the currency markets. Opportunity for the removal of workers rights and food safety standards. Or a million other ways for the rich and powerful to benefit at our expense. Of course, there's no argument there.

But there is no benefit to the UK or ordinary citizens. "

Bit negative and one sided. There maybe great opportunities for us as nation.

We did exist as a nation BEFORE we entered the EEC.

Errrrrr.........why ???

Hmmmmm...... Think there are there are some around who might challenge that. Just as one example, the German people voting Hitler into power would probably be regarded as more catastrophic. "

That's a good comparison. They too were fooled into voting against their own interests.

I'm suggesting that the purpose for brexit has been clear from the start. The benefit the few at the top at the expense of everyone else. And people were so easily brain washed into it.

Some people still think Brexit is a good idea!

Errrrrr.........why ???

We did exist as a nation BEFORE we entered the EEC. "

Okay I'll concede there could be an opportunity for the nation. But no one has presented one yet. I would have thought that somewhere amongst all the debate, someone would have brought one up?

Bolton

I am fairly indifferent, can see advantages for staying in and also for coming out. A decision needs to be made, this "limbo" state is harming our country.

"I am fairly indifferent, can see advantages for staying in and also for coming out. A decision needs to be made, this "limbo" state is harming our country. "

True. But limbo isn't as harming as even the least damaging brexit deal will be.

I would like to know one of the advantages.

Bolton

To me it the indecision that is the problem. I can see good reasons for staying in but equally good ones for leaving.

"To me it the indecision that is the problem. I can see good reasons for staying in but equally good ones for leaving. "

The indecision is only a problem when one of the choices is so clearly worse for everyone.

If we had, let's say two good options to chose from, the indecision would be inconsequential.

"I think it’s time we let Boris get his way, leave with a no deal . When the inevitable happens and the country is plunged into a self imposed recession Boris and his cronies will either leave or be pushed and be gone forever, those who voted to leave will either be to embarrassed to admit it or be brave enough to admit it was a mistake. We can then re apply to rejoin the EU and this sorry , embarrassing period can be left to history . "

No.

You are wrong.

Sorry, but.....

When did having poor subjects ever stop Kim Jong Un or Edward I from doing what they did?

Bolton

"To me it the indecision that is the problem. I can see good reasons for staying in but equally good ones for leaving.

The indecision is only a problem when one of the choices is so clearly worse for everyone.."

but is one so much worse than the other? To mind things will work out fine which ever way we go.

"To me it the indecision that is the problem. I can see good reasons for staying in but equally good ones for leaving.

The indecision is only a problem when one of the choices is so clearly worse for everyone..

but is one so much worse than the other? To mind things will work out fine which ever way we go. "

I don't know what to say. Even the least damaging form of brexit is a disaster for this country from a social, welfare, healthcare, financial, economic, scientific, environmental, political, cultural, food safety standard, workers rights, etc point of view. With literally no benefits for ordinary people.

here

"It was on the news that over 300 000 have signed a petition to stop boris suspending the parliament.

Just another 14.4 million to go to match the number of people who voted to leave the Eu

"

“Are you that retarded you can't tell 300,000 from 3 million?”

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/28/100000-people-sign-petition-stop-boris-suspending-parliament-10644325/

Best to check facts first before sending insulting messages ...however it would appear your name is very fitting

Bristol East

"

There will be. In the following years history will not look kindly on those who voted to leave, imagine how embarrassing it will be for people to admit to voting for a no deal brexit and plunging the country into an economic meltdown . Imagine having to admit to your grand children you were partly responsible for the mess that will now ensue? The brave ones will admit their mistakes, the weak will deny they voted to leave and the deluded will stay deluded . "

The Brexiteers simply do not care - the polling of the electorate who appointed Johnson confirmed that.

"To me it the indecision that is the problem. I can see good reasons for staying in but equally good ones for leaving. "

I agree, there are very good reasons for both cases . Unfortunately I can’t see one good reason for leaving without a deal, which is looking like the only way we can leave

"It was on the news that over 300 000 have signed a petition to stop boris suspending the parliament.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/28/100000-people-sign-petition-stop-boris-suspending-parliament-10644325/

Best to check facts first before sending insulting messages ...however it would appear your name is very fitting

"

17.4 million people voted to leave ???

here

17.4 million people voted to leave ??? "

lol

It would appear I am that retarded ...or possible suffering number dyslexia ... or tired ... or super excited at what Boris has done today

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

What have I missed lol

Boris is now a dictator.

People still think he's great."

dictator what utter rubbish

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Brexit must happen and parliament has so much to answer for.I would rather have seen this matter dealt with in another way,this the wrong way

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

300.000 people signed a petition. I had no ideal that the BBC had so many idiots working for them.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"It was on the news that over 300 000 have signed a petition to stop boris suspending the parliament."
yeah i can remember people wanking furiously on here about the last petition that worked out well still haven't cum.

"Brexit must happen and parliament has so much to answer for.I would rather have seen this matter dealt with in another way,this the wrong way"

It's crazy to see so many people cheering on the country being ruined for generations at any cost.

near ipswich

"Brexit must happen and parliament has so much to answer for.I would rather have seen this matter dealt with in another way,this the wrong way

It's crazy to see so many people cheering on the country being ruined for generations at any cost.

"

Hows the country ruined for generations wheres your proof of that?

"Brexit must happen and parliament has so much to answer for.I would rather have seen this matter dealt with in another way,this the wrong way

Hows the country ruined for generations wheres your proof of that? "

The various estimates for the country to recover from Brexit are between 30-50 years. I think that counts as "generations".

near ipswich

The various estimates for the country to recover from Brexit are between 30-50 years. I think that counts as "generations"."

Whos various estimates are these? i would like to read them.

It's a right-wing coup

"

It's not a coup stop spreading fear,a new PM can close parliament and reset it.

A coup is some you do against the country using armed forces.

The various estimates for the country to recover from Brexit are between 30-50 years. I think that counts as "generations".Whos various estimates are these? i would like to read them."

Feel free to Google it. Rees Mogg was one who estimated 50 years.

Look, I don't know what we are arguing about. Realistically we don't know how long it will take to recover. 50 years, we may never get back to where we are right now.

What we do know is how much money we've wasted on it so far, in terms of cost to the economy. And we also know that there is no advantage to the UK in any way.

My comment was meant to show suprise at people cheering it all on. Those who sought to gain from brexit did an amazing job on the propaganda. People still believe it.

near ipswich

The various estimates for the country to recover from Brexit are between 30-50 years. I think that counts as "generations".Whos various estimates are these? i would like to read them.

Look, I don't know what we are arguing about. Realistically we don't know how long it will take to recover. 50 years, we may never get back to where we are right now.

What we do know is how much money we've wasted on it so far, in terms of cost to the economy. And we also know that there is no advantage to the UK in any way.

My comment was meant to show suprise at people cheering it all on. Those who sought to gain from brexit did an amazing job on the propaganda. People still believe it."

Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?

The various estimates for the country to recover from Brexit are between 30-50 years. I think that counts as "generations".Whos various estimates are these? i would like to read them.

My comment was meant to show suprise at people cheering it all on. Those who sought to gain from brexit did an amazing job on the propaganda. People still believe it.Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?"

Yeah of course. It's possible. Extremely unlikely, but it could happen.

near ipswich

My comment was meant to show suprise at people cheering it all on. Those who sought to gain from brexit did an amazing job on the propaganda. People still believe it.Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?

Yeah of course. It's possible. Extremely unlikely, but it could happen."

Thats the spirit a bit of positive thinking and faith in a great country you will feel so much better.

Bristol East

".Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?"

Why would any country be interested in negotiating with the UK when we are about to play all our cards for none in return - tariff-free access to the UK market?

My comment was meant to show suprise at people cheering it all on. Those who sought to gain from brexit did an amazing job on the propaganda. People still believe it.Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?

Yeah of course. It's possible. Extremely unlikely, but it could happen.Thats the spirit a bit of positive thinking and faith in a great country you will feel so much better. "

Haha

Sadly the world doesn't run on positive thoughts and good vibes.

".Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?

Why would any country be interested in negotiating with the UK when we are about to play all our cards for none in return - tariff-free access to the UK market?

"

They will because they know how desperate we are and they know they'll be able to make some massively one sided trade deals.

near ipswich

[Removed by poster at 28/08/19 19:27:08]

near ipswich

Yeah of course. It's possible. Extremely unlikely, but it could happen.Thats the spirit a bit of positive thinking and faith in a great country you will feel so much better.

Haha

Sadly the world doesn't run on positive thoughts and good vibes."

But it does nothing has ever been achieved by being negative.would the first man have took flight would captain cook discovered australia would they have put a man on the moon everything ever done or that has been invented is due to people with a can do attitude not negative people saying it cant be done.

Yeah of course. It's possible. Extremely unlikely, but it could happen.Thats the spirit a bit of positive thinking and faith in a great country you will feel so much better.

Haha

Sadly the world doesn't run on positive thoughts and good vibes.But it does nothing has ever been achieved by being negative.would the first man have took flight would captain cook discovered australia would they have put a man on the moon everything ever done or that has been invented is due to people with a can do attitude not negative people saying it cant be done."

Dissent isn't negative. Much has been achieved by people who spoke out against what's going on in the world around then.

"A can do attitude" is great, but not if it leads you to make foolish choices.

When jumping out of a plane without a parachute, a can do attitude won't do you much good. Much better is to try to not jump out in the first place. Even if the plane has already taken off.

By *wingerlover2018Man  over a year ago

Moors

Errrrrr.........why ???

Is that definitely the

We did exist as a nation BEFORE we entered the EEC. "

Well said that man!!!

My comment was meant to show suprise at people cheering it all on. Those who sought to gain from brexit did an amazing job on the propaganda. People still believe it.Im not arguing i just have a different take on it for example 10 years down the line we could have great deals with most of the world ever thought of that?"

What makes a trade deal great?

Errrrrr.........why ???

Is that definitely the

We did exist as a nation BEFORE we entered the EEC.

Well said that man!!! "

Well said, yes. But also missing the point, and incorrect.

here

What makes a trade deal great? "

When the deal works for everyone

near ipswich

What makes a trade deal great? "

Not having protective tariffs on goods for a start eg coffee when imported in the raw state zero or very low tariff but if its processed it attracts a 11.5% tariff because it competes with eu processors mainly nescafe as its french.Last year oranges were raised from 3.2% to 16% because spanish farmers could not compete with s african oranges.The general public pay these charges so there is just a couple of examples for you out of hundreds.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

Sadly the world doesn't run on positive thoughts and good vibes.But it does nothing has ever been achieved by being negative.would the first man have took flight would captain cook discovered australia would they have put a man on the moon everything ever done or that has been invented is due to people with a can do attitude not negative people saying it cant be done."

The people who achieved those things didn't just say 'we'll give it a go and believe in ourselves and everything will be great!', did they?

Getting to the moon involved a huge amount of careful planning, hard work, and co-operation - things which never went into the idea of Brexit, and still aren't to this day.

Bristol East

Going to the moon required an army of scientists and engineers who understood the risks, sought to mitigate them and spent years planning and testing every detail.

The very antithesis of Brexit, which has taken on the appearance of a cult.

By *anarkshirelassCouple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

"

You have the brass neck to infer someone check their facts before sending INSULTING messages... Yet you openly use the word 'retarded' in your response.

Pot, kettle black comes to mind.

Try coming into the 21st century.

here

You have the brass neck to infer someone check their facts before sending INSULTING messages... Yet you openly use the word 'retarded' in your response.

Pot, kettle black comes to mind.

Try coming into the 21st century. "

Wind your neck in ... you haven’t read it properly .

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Errrrrr.........why ???

Hmmmmm...... Think there are there are some around who might challenge that. Just as one example, the German people voting Hitler into power would probably be regarded as more catastrophic. "

There was less known about the likely outcomes, when Hitler became Chancellor in Germany, compared to what is known about the negative effects of leaving the EU today. We already have 3 years experience since the referendum, with millions of people having paid the price for that outcome to date.

The 1930s had been a period where economic hardship had become more widespread around the world - this had helped attract people to the Nazi party. Since 2010, UK cutbacks have followed the global economic crash of 2008, resulting in long periods of cuts, wage stagnation etc: there are some parrallels with experiences of poorer Germans having been attracted to a seemingly vibrant prospective future via the Nazis, who had traded on breaking with the past and their commitments to the Versaille treaty and more. Even with shadows of the past, there is near unamimous agreement that exiting the EU is unhealthy for the UK and is clearly the wrong thing to do at this point: made even worse, by leaving without a deal.

By *anarkshirelassCouple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

I can read quite well, so don't try and justify or manipulate your inappropriate language by saying it meant anything other than what was said.

Cave man language...Says more about you than anything else.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

Can you remember back to 2016!

The conservative PM campaigned to stay in the EU and the leader of the opposition said we needed to leave the EU to protect workers rights!

How things have turned around. The conservative PM actually wants to honour the result and the leader of the opposition, well does anybody really knows what he wants except for being PM at any cost!

The UK voted to leave the EU. If parliament can't agree to accept the deal offered (rejected three times) we have to leave without one. The people to blame are the MP's who voted against the deal..!!

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

It's simply, more people voted leave than remain, so we leave. If we can't agree on a transition agreement then we leave anyway. It suits the EU for us to be stuck in limbo, paying them money and having no say. Let's move on.

near ipswich

Errrrrr.........why ???

Hmmmmm...... Think there are there are some around who might challenge that. Just as one example, the German people voting Hitler into power would probably be regarded as more catastrophic.

There was less known about the likely outcomes, when Hitler became Chancellor in Germany, compared to what is known about the negative effects of leaving the EU today. We already have 3 years experience since the referendum, with millions of people having paid the price for that outcome to date.

The 1930s had been a period where economic hardship had become more widespread around the world - this had helped attract people to the Nazi party. Since 2010, UK cutbacks have followed the global economic crash of 2008, resulting in long periods of cuts, wage stagnation etc: there are some parrallels with experiences of poorer Germans having been attracted to a seemingly vibrant prospective future via the Nazis, who had traded on breaking with the past and their commitments to the Versaille treaty and more. Even with shadows of the past, there is near unamimous agreement that exiting the EU is unhealthy for the UK and is clearly the wrong thing to do at this point: made even worse, by leaving without a deal. "

Lets hope the eu are now convinced about a no deal as you lot are we might get a deal out of it.

"It's simply, more people voted leave than remain, so we leave. If we can't agree on a transition agreement then we leave anyway. It suits the EU for us to be stuck in limbo, paying them money and having no say. Let's move on."

Is this a joke post?

Tonbridge

"It's simply, more people voted leave than remain, so we leave. If we can't agree on a transition agreement then we leave anyway. It suits the EU for us to be stuck in limbo, paying them money and having no say. Let's move on.

Is this a joke post?"

If you can find humour in it then knock yourself out.

upton wirral

"300.000 people signed a petition. I had no ideal that the BBC had so many idiots working for them."
Even as a brexiteer I may sign it myself,do not agree with what Boris is foing it is not democratic and it means that any party in power in the future could do this and democracy goes down the tubes.

I voted for Brexit because I love our democracy,Boris's action make him no better than the scum in the EU

Bristol East

"

Boris's action make him no better than the scum in the EU"

That's not a nice thing to say about the neighbours.

What have I missed lol

Nothing to worry about

As you were "

OK next cocktail then

What makes a trade deal great? Not having protective tariffs on goods for a start eg coffee when imported in the raw state zero or very low tariff but if its processed it attracts a 11.5% tariff because it competes with eu processors mainly nescafe as its french.Last year oranges were raised from 3.2% to 16% because spanish farmers could not compete with s african oranges.The general public pay these charges so there is just a couple of examples for you out of hundreds."

Coffee and oranges? Is that the best you can come up with . Protective tariffs will also have been beneficial to our exports as well

What makes a trade deal great? Not having protective tariffs on goods for a start eg coffee when imported in the raw state zero or very low tariff but if its processed it attracts a 11.5% tariff because it competes with eu processors mainly nescafe as its french.Last year oranges were raised from 3.2% to 16% because spanish farmers could not compete with s african oranges.The general public pay these charges so there is just a couple of examples for you out of hundreds.

Coffee and oranges? Is that the best you can come up with . Protective tariffs will also have been beneficial to our exports as well "

Just to correct myself , I meant these protective tariffs will protect British business from low cost imports

near ipswich

What makes a trade deal great? Not having protective tariffs on goods for a start eg coffee when imported in the raw state zero or very low tariff but if its processed it attracts a 11.5% tariff because it competes with eu processors mainly nescafe as its french.Last year oranges were raised from 3.2% to 16% because spanish farmers could not compete with s african oranges.The general public pay these charges so there is just a couple of examples for you out of hundreds.

Coffee and oranges? Is that the best you can come up with . Protective tariffs will also have been beneficial to our exports as well "

oh we export stuff now do we? i thought all you remainers thought this country was fucked and we couldnt produce anything.

Strawman. Nor remainer says that.

I'm guessing the orange and coffee examples cover the WTO tarriffs for coffee and oranges.ofvthe unlitareral everything but arms.

Or is there an FTA which has such tarriffs?

And I'm reading a great trade deal as being one where there are zero tariffs on anything.

So the eu are looking to sign a gteat trade deal with Argentina.

Even pro eu economists have such a strategy decimating our farming and manufacturing industries....

By *hechairman18Man  over a year ago

Salford Quays , Manchester

The so called "Experts", predicted the World would go into meltdown, at midnight on 31st December 1999.

No Gas/Water/Electricity.

No ATM' s, or Traffic lights would work.

Planes would be falling out of the sky.

Are the same so called "Experts" trying to put the fear of God into people.

The People were given a free vote.

The People voted to leave.

In the name of Democracy, the Politicians, have decided to ignore a Democratic vote by the people and in many cases their own Constituents.

"The so called "Experts", predicted the World would go into meltdown, at midnight on 31st December 1999.

No Gas/Water/Electricity.

No ATM' s, or Traffic lights would work.

Planes would be falling out of the sky.

Are the same so called "Experts" trying to put the fear of God into people.

The People were given a free vote.

The People voted to leave.

In the name of Democracy, the Politicians, have decided to ignore a Democratic vote by the people and in many cases their own Constituents.

"

So much is wrong with this.

First the "experts" who were talking about the Y2K but were programmers, and not economists. So not the same people at all.

There were no major incidents on 1st Jan 2000, specifically because the "experts" spoke up in time to mitigate the issues.

The economic "experts" predicted that the UK economy would suffer, it has, predicted there would be job losses, there have been, and predicted that it would get worse again depending on the severity of Brexit.

Currently we are headed to brexit, as per the advisory referendum. So I'm not sure what you think is being ignored?

It was widely discussed and circulated at the time of the referendum that a no deal brexit would be the most damaging, and even those who orchestrated brexit didn't advocate a no deal. Also it was widely discussed that an orderly brexit would take over five years.

So what's the beef?

We trust experts everyday. Our entire world is built on the expertise of others. Now economics is a softer science than physics, so I understand why it's easier to take views with a pinch of salt... But often it's because their expert view doesn't align with ours and its easier to just dismiss them than dare challenge ourselves.

"We trust experts everyday. Our entire world is built on the expertise of others. Now economics is a softer science than physics, so I understand why it's easier to take views with a pinch of salt... But often it's because their expert view doesn't align with ours and its easier to just dismiss them than dare challenge ourselves. "

We've moved to the US model of political debate. Where the facts themselves are debated. It used to be that we had the information and then we would debate what to do about it.

Now we have people debating things like "Brexit won't ruin the country", "Climate change is natural and unrelated to human activity". Etc etc. Debates were opinions matter as much as facts are pointless.

Bolton

The indecision is only a problem when one of the choices is so clearly worse for everyone..

but is one so much worse than the other? To mind things will work out fine which ever way we go.

I don't know what to say. Even the least damaging form of brexit is a disaster for this country from a social, welfare, healthcare, financial, economic, scientific, environmental, political, cultural, food safety standard, workers rights, etc point of view. With literally no benefits for ordinary people. "

Seems a very bold statement. I am not too sure how much difference it will make whether we are "in or out". Life will go on much the same what ever decision is taken. Country worked fine before we entered the EEC.

I don't know what to say. Even the least damaging form of brexit is a disaster for this country from a social, welfare, healthcare, financial, economic, scientific, environmental, political, cultural, food safety standard, workers rights, etc point of view. With literally no benefits for ordinary people.

Seems a very bold statement. I am not too sure how much difference it will make whether we are "in or out". Life will go on much the same what ever decision is taken. Country worked fine before we entered the EEC. "

All this tells me is that you're not sure.

There are plenty of people who are not sure about what's going on in the world around them. Doesn't mean it's not going on.

I don't mean to target you specifically. The point is that, belief and opinion, is no substitute for information, and facts.

Bolton

" I don't mean to target you specifically. The point is that, belief and opinion, is no substitute for information, and facts."

Do not feel in the least bit "targeted" !!

As I have said I am fairly "neutral" about the whole matter of Britain's EU membership. Can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. Again repeating myself the way it has been allowed to drag on and divide the country is what concerns me. I am not a fan of the current government but they appear to have a plan and seem intent on seeing it through. Once we have left the EU we will be in a position to move on to what ever the future hold for the country.

" I don't mean to target you specifically. The point is that, belief and opinion, is no substitute for information, and facts.

As I have said I am fairly "neutral" about the whole matter of Britain's EU membership. Can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. Again repeating myself the way it has been allowed to drag on and divide the country is what concerns me. I am not a fan of the current government but they appear to have a plan and seem intent on seeing it through. Once we have left the EU we will be in a position to move on to what ever the future hold for the country. "

Okay good.

The future is good if you're one of the 1% that stands to benefit from brexit. But for the rest of us, it's only negatives.

I don't see any positives. No one has presented any. I mean anything specifically that will be good for the UK.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

ciuld someone explain why the m.ps are up in arms about parliment being shut down so they cant pass laws to stop brexit voted to take 5 or 6 weeks off this summer.surley if it was that important the would of stayed at qork to get it sorted instead of takng over a month off.they would of had plenty of time to vote on things they want to vote on

"ciuld someone explain why the m.ps are up in arms about parliment being shut down so they cant pass laws to stop brexit voted to take 5 or 6 weeks off this summer.surley if it was that important the would of stayed at qork to get it sorted instead of takng over a month off.they would of had plenty of time to vote on things they want to vote on"

I would have stayed at qork.

But yeah. They're pissed off because the remain and the softer brexit MPs won't get the opportunity to hold Boris to account over his plans. As per the usual parliamentary process.

Bolton

" I don't mean to target you specifically. The point is that, belief and opinion, is no substitute for information, and facts.

As I have said I am fairly "neutral" about the whole matter of Britain's EU membership. Can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. Again repeating myself the way it has been allowed to drag on and divide the country is what concerns me. I am not a fan of the current government but they appear to have a plan and seem intent on seeing it through. Once we have left the EU we will be in a position to move on to what ever the future hold for the country.

Okay good.

The future is good if you're one of the 1% that stands to benefit from brexit. But for the rest of us, it's only negatives.

I don't see any positives. No one has presented any. I mean anything specifically that will be good for the UK."

1% seems a very low figure. I have no idea what % of population will benefit from our country being outside the EU.

I just take the view that if/when the UK is outwith the EU life will go on much as before and we as a country will adapt and move forward. Economically we may be better or worse off, we won't know until we try it !!

borehamwood

"ciuld someone explain why the m.ps are up in arms about parliment being shut down so they cant pass laws to stop brexit voted to take 5 or 6 weeks off this summer.surley if it was that important the would of stayed at qork to get it sorted instead of takng over a month off.they would of had plenty of time to vote on things they want to vote on

But yeah. They're pissed off because the remain and the softer brexit MPs won't get the opportunity to hold Boris to account over his plans. As per the usual parliamentary process."

still didnt answwer the question why they gave themselves 5 or 6 weeks of if its so important? its not like they didnt know something like this wasnt coming.mist of the country knew boris would have something up his sleeve

Bolton

"ciuld someone explain why the m.ps are up in arms about parliment being shut down so they cant pass laws to stop brexit voted to take 5 or 6 weeks off this summer.surley if it was that important the would of stayed at work to get it sorted instead of takng over a month off.they would of had plenty of time to vote on things they want to vote on"

Indeed a fair question to ask. They have had THREE YEARS to sort this out and now it suddenly becomes a problem because they are denied a few days arguing (sorry, they MPs so it will be debating) time. As I have said I am no fan of the present government but at least they have "taken the bull by the horns" and decided on a course of action. Left to parliament, no decisions were going to be taken, just more arguing (sorry, debating !!).

"ciuld someone explain why the m.ps are up in arms about parliment being shut down so they cant pass laws to stop brexit voted to take 5 or 6 weeks off this summer.surley if it was that important the would of stayed at qork to get it sorted instead of takng over a month off.they would of had plenty of time to vote on things they want to vote on

But yeah. They're pissed off because the remain and the softer brexit MPs won't get the opportunity to hold Boris to account over his plans. As per the usual parliamentary process.

still didnt answwer the question why they gave themselves 5 or 6 weeks of if its so important? its not like they didnt know something like this wasnt coming.mist of the country knew boris would have something up his sleeve"

It does answer the question.

I'm not suggesting they're right or wrong. Just why they're pissed off.

They want to be able to hold a no deal brexit plan to account.

Okay good.

I don't see any positives. No one has presented any. I mean anything specifically that will be good for the UK.

1% seems a very low figure. I have no idea what % of population will benefit from our country being outside the EU.

I just take the view that if/when the UK is outwith the EU life will go on much as before and we as a country will adapt and move forward. Economically we may be better or worse off, we won't know until we try it !!"

All this tells us is that you don't know. It doesn't indicate the likely outcome in anyway.

If you wanted to learn more about the impact of brexit. Then you would know.

We don't need to get run over by a car too know what will happen. We don't need to try it to find out.

We know that the country will be worse off. No one is even suggesting otherwise.

By *ulaMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

Coup what coup ?

Bolton

Don't think the analogy with a car crash is very helpful.

I think a more meaningful analogy would be starting a relationship with another person, either romantic or business, you cannot predict with absolute certainty how things will develop or where you will be at any given point in the future.

"Don't think the analogy with a car crash is very helpful.

I think a more meaningful analogy would be starting a relationship with another person, either romantic or business, you cannot predict with absolute certainty how things will develop or where you will be at any given point in the future. "

If you want to take this analogy of starting a new relationship. You need to add in that everyone you know and trust warned you against it. All the signs look bad. The only people who are advising you to go for it are those who stand to gain from it personally. Your ex who wants you to get crushed, then take you back , thinks it's great.

All the relationship experts in the world tell you it's a bad idea.

And in order to start the new relationship, you have to ditch one that's been fantastic for you.

Bolton

""" We know that the country will be worse off. No one is even suggesting otherwise. """

We do not KNOW the country will be worse off. It maybe, it may not be. No one KNOWS for certain. They may have feelings and predictions can be made.

You seem to feel the country will be worse off. I am just very skeptical, no one can be sure. I take the view it could go either way, the thing we can be sure of is the future will arrive or put another way we will arrive in the future.

"""" We know that the country will be worse off. No one is even suggesting otherwise. """

We do not KNOW the country will be worse off. It maybe, it may not be. No one KNOWS for certain. They may have feelings and predictions can be made.

You seem to feel the country will be worse off. I am just very skeptical, no one can be sure. I take the view it could go either way, the thing we can be sure of is the future will arrive or put another way we will arrive in the future. "

For sure it could go either way. But one is much more likely and one is extremely unlikely.

100% of the credible evidence suggests that we will be a lot worse off.

By *x2 4 funCouple  over a year ago

Southampton

Boris is showing some balls about time someone did lets get this done

borehamwood

still didnt answwer the question why they gave themselves 5 or 6 weeks of if its so important? its not like they didnt know something like this wasnt coming.mist of the country knew boris would have something up his sleeve

They want to be able to hold a no deal brexit plan to account."

so why have they been on holiday for the last 5 or 6 weeks if this is the biggest threat to the country since the war as peeps keep saying.u think they would of binned there holidays if the country is at that much risk

Bolton

" 100% of the credible evidence suggests that we will be a lot worse off."

Wow..... That seems a very high figure. I am sure there must be SOME evidence that predicts will not be worse off, indeed we could be better off.

Just do not see the whole scenario as clear cut as you appear to do. As with most things in life there are shades of grey.

They want to be able to hold a no deal brexit plan to account.

so why have they been on holiday for the last 5 or 6 weeks if this is the biggest threat to the country since the war as peeps keep saying.u think they would of binned there holidays if the country is at that much risk"

I agree. They shouldn't have all fucked off on holiday during a national crisis.

" 100% of the credible evidence suggests that we will be a lot worse off.

Wow..... That seems a very high figure. I am sure there must be SOME evidence that predicts will not be worse off, indeed we could be better off.

Just do not see the whole scenario as clear cut as you appear to do. As with most things in life there are shades of grey. "

I would love some evidence that predicts some positives.

But seeing as all the money pumped into the leave campaign and with all their resources, they couldn't find any, I doubt I could by searching Google.

Bolton

""" 100% of the credible evidence suggests that we will be a lot worse off. """

That sounds more like a Robert Mugabe election result. Sorry, could not resist...!!

Hitchin

Within 2 years of leaving you wont find any that admit they voted to leave, just like after WW2 no one admitted being in the Nazi party.

Hitchin

[Removed by poster at 29/08/19 13:50:17]

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Within 2 years of leaving you wont find any that admit they voted to leave, just like after WW2 no one admitted being in the Nazi party."
leavers are like nazis ? Lmfaooo

"Within 2 years of leaving you wont find any that admit they voted to leave, just like after WW2 no one admitted being in the Nazi party.leavers are like nazis ? Lmfaooo"

That's not what that person said.

And I don't think that they will be embarrassed. They will, and already are, pointing the finger at anyone but themselves. The EU, Remainers, etc.

thornaby

Only people pointing fingers of blame are remainers as the clock ticks mate remainers are getting more nasty read the posts

"Only people pointing fingers of blame are remainers as the clock ticks mate remainers are getting more nasty read the posts "

Fair enough.

But really, people who voted for this, they are the ones who should take some of the blame. Not just the powers who orchestrated it all.

here

"Only people pointing fingers of blame are remainers as the clock ticks mate remainers are getting more nasty read the posts

Fair enough.

But really, people who voted for this, they are the ones who should take some of the blame. Not just the powers who orchestrated it all."

Take the blame for what?

"Only people pointing fingers of blame are remainers as the clock ticks mate remainers are getting more nasty read the posts

Fair enough.

But really, people who voted for this, they are the ones who should take some of the blame. Not just the powers who orchestrated it all.

Take the blame for what?

"

Everything that's been caused by Brexit.

What else have we been talking about?

here

Fair enough.

Take the blame for what?

What else have we been talking about?"

Brexit hasn't happened yet...

Fair enough.

Take the blame for what?

"

Indeed. And we already have businesses closing, economy struggling, pound value reducing, job losses.

All set to get worse.

Still no one able to suggest a single, potential benefit to the UK or to the population.

here

Fair enough.

Take the blame for what?

Indeed. And we already have businesses closing, economy struggling, pound value reducing, job losses.

All set to get worse.

Still no one able to suggest a single, potential benefit to the UK or to the population."

Time will tell...

By *dinMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

have you looked at how the EU economies are performing?

Evryone uses Brexit as an excuse for everything, typical of this people not taking responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Brexit will have much less impact on the economic performance than the wider global economic cycle.

unfortunately most people who get exorcised and argumentative about this subject don't actually have the facts or indeed use facts to argue just get personal, shouty and offensive, rather then entering into intelligent debate. Unfortunately it is no longer possible to be on different sides of an argument and respect people have (and are allowed to have) different viewpoints which are equally valid based on their personal experience, circumstances etc.

Brexit as a far from balck and white, or indeed Blue or Red issue.

"have you looked at how the EU economies are performing?

Evryone uses Brexit as an excuse for everything, typical of this people not taking responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Brexit will have much less impact on the economic performance than the wider global economic cycle.

unfortunately most people who get exorcised and argumentative about this subject don't actually have the facts or indeed use facts to argue just get personal, shouty and offensive, rather then entering into intelligent debate. Unfortunately it is no longer possible to be on different sides of an argument and respect people have (and are allowed to have) different viewpoints which are equally valid based on their personal experience, circumstances etc.

Brexit as a far from balck and white, or indeed Blue or Red issue."

If that were true. Surely there would be someone somewhere suggesting even a vague upside to brexit?

Birmingham

unfortunately you only hear in public what the vested interests want you to hear.

if you actually talk to people who run businesses (and there have actually been plenty of high profile brexit backing business leaders) they will give you a more rational perspective on the challenges and opportunities of Brexit

unfortuantely as with any issue those who shout loudest are not necessarily those in the know, it is the silent majority that really matter and why would they bother saying anything when they will just get shouted down and insulted?

if the people (in government and the civil service)who supported remain were so accurate with their view of the world their doom and gloom, armegeddon forecasts of what would happen after a no vote would have happened surely?

"unfortunately you only hear in public what the vested interests want you to hear.

if you actually talk to people who run businesses (and there have actually been plenty of high profile brexit backing business leaders) they will give you a more rational perspective on the challenges and opportunities of Brexit

unfortuantely as with any issue those who shout loudest are not necessarily those in the know, it is the silent majority that really matter and why would they bother saying anything when they will just get shouted down and insulted?

if the people (in government and the civil service)who supported remain were so accurate with their view of the world their doom and gloom, armegeddon forecasts of what would happen after a no vote would have happened surely?"

I take that on board. The sector I work in has experienced a slow down and job losses as a direct result. But I haven't heard of any with positive news. But of course I agree that there is money to be made when there is a crisis happening.

But what I'm generally getting at, is that aside from some individuals and the odd business who can make money from the downturn, where is the benefit of brexit? Not just financially.

Everything is going pretty much as predicted. Economy suffering, job losses, political chaos etc. With more to follow after brexit along with the errosion of rights and protections.

Birmingham

The predictions were for a massive contraction in the economy - not happened, it is still growing. yes more slowly but that wasn't the prediction and actually globally all economies are suffering (except perhaps US which is false grwoth) and we are coming to the time in the cycle we are due an economic downturn.

Same with jobs, yes there have been some high profile jobs losses of a large nature (which have been blamed on Brexit as it provides easy cover) but if you actually look behind the fundamentals of the businesses there are more fundamental reasons for the job losses. Overall, employment is still growing across the economy as a whole with unemployment levels at historically very low levels.

And much of the challenges of Brexit at the moment are related to the uncertainty of what is going to happen as opposed to Brexit itself, the economy and businesses are very adaptable and once they know what the new world order looks like (which none of us know at present) they will get on with it. The fundamental problem is that it is has taken best part of 3 years to acheive nothing because parliament will not enact the will of the people. If we had just got on with it by now (in whatever guise) people would just be cracking on.

There are a long list of benefits of Brexit, all inthe public domain if you want to look for them, including freedom to make our own laws that suit us rather than other countries that are culturally different, the ability to face outwards to the rest of the world which is growing at a faster rate than Europe, huge amounts of extra money to spend on what we want rather than what the EU wants to spend it own etc..

the political chaos - well that comes down to the deceitfulness of the political class (they are all as bad as each other) and their viewpoint that they no better than the stupid people who voted - the same stupid people of course who voted them in as MPs...

near ipswich

"The predictions were for a massive contraction in the economy - not happened, it is still growing. yes more slowly but that wasn't the prediction and actually globally all economies are suffering (except perhaps US which is false grwoth) and we are coming to the time in the cycle we are due an economic downturn.

Same with jobs, yes there have been some high profile jobs losses of a large nature (which have been blamed on Brexit as it provides easy cover) but if you actually look behind the fundamentals of the businesses there are more fundamental reasons for the job losses. Overall, employment is still growing across the economy as a whole with unemployment levels at historically very low levels.

And much of the challenges of Brexit at the moment are related to the uncertainty of what is going to happen as opposed to Brexit itself, the economy and businesses are very adaptable and once they know what the new world order looks like (which none of us know at present) they will get on with it. The fundamental problem is that it is has taken best part of 3 years to acheive nothing because parliament will not enact the will of the people. If we had just got on with it by now (in whatever guise) people would just be cracking on.

There are a long list of benefits of Brexit, all inthe public domain if you want to look for them, including freedom to make our own laws that suit us rather than other countries that are culturally different, the ability to face outwards to the rest of the world which is growing at a faster rate than Europe, huge amounts of extra money to spend on what we want rather than what the EU wants to spend it own etc..

the political chaos - well that comes down to the deceitfulness of the political class (they are all as bad as each other) and their viewpoint that they no better than the stupid people who voted - the same stupid people of course who voted them in as MPs..."

well said totally agree.

The whole problem with brexit is ..

Brexit cult members are so sure of themselves and remainers so full of doubts.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

Fair enough.

But really, people who voted for this, they are the ones who should take some of the blame. Not just the powers who orchestrated it all."

Don't worry; I'm sure the secret government report with all the positive possible outcomes of no-deal will be leaked soon, as will the plan for the post-brexit / post transition UK.

Clearly they're just waiting for the perfect moment. :/

Birmingham

"The whole problem with brexit is ..

Brexit cult members are so sure of themselves and remainers so full of doubts.

"

the fact that you have described brexit support as cult members perfectly demonstrates my earlier point - a statement clearly based on facts

thornaby

Fair enough.

Take the blame for what?

All set to get worse.

Still no one able to suggest a single, potential benefit to the UK or to the population."

employment at a 40 yr high wages rising you can spin stats anyway you want did no business close before brexit did the pound never fall economy never struggle ? Some ppl on here were claiming flights would be grounded troops on the streets the truth is we haven't left yet calm down

Bristol East

"

But, but, but . . . blue passports!

"

the political chaos - well that comes down to the deceitfulness of the political class (they are all as bad as each other) and their viewpoint that they no better than the stupid people who voted - the same stupid people of course who voted them in as MPs...well said totally agree. "

My struggle with the above is 1) are there any laws in particlaur you dislike the eu handing down to us (bearing in mind we could have vetod) or is it a fear we may be given one in the future.

2) what, other than trade deals stop us accessing these other markets and what part doe the eu play?

3) if it is trade deals, this implies a lot of value in deals. So we are (under no deal) putting at risk some of the 40% of exports we do with the EU... Plus another c 10 to 20 % we have via the eu, to try and boost the remaining 40% to me that's a bit of a gamble.

4) it doesn't take much of a hit to our economy to reduce tax receipts by a couple of %. So what we save from eu fees may be needed to plug this gap. That's before any uplift in welfare. As people like to point out unemployment is at a historic low. It can't get much lower, but could get higher. Again, that's a bit of a gamble.

I realise that different people prioritise different things and see different risks and opportunity.

But in terms of a good trade arrangement with our nearest neighbour, and low unemployment, it feels there are small benefits to be had and the risk of big losses....

Tonbridge

Think of brexit as leaving home to make our own way in the world with all the possibilities it brings. Sure we could carry on living with the parents (Merkel and Macron), paying money into the communal pot and living under the parents rules. But no, let's leave home and put ourselves first. Keep what we earn and make our own rules.

"The predictions were for a massive contraction in the economy - not happened, it is still growing. yes more slowly but that wasn't the prediction and actually globally all economies are suffering (except perhaps US which is false grwoth) and we are coming to the time in the cycle we are due an economic downturn.

the political chaos - well that comes down to the deceitfulness of the political class (they are all as bad as each other) and their viewpoint that they no better than the stupid people who voted - the same stupid people of course who voted them in as MPs..."

None of these things you list as benefits are actual benefits.

We already agree with over 90% of EU law when our MEPs vote for them. And they're generally good laws that provide minimum standards. Not maximum standards. We're free to make things better. But choose not to.

What makes you think the British government will do anything other than reduce the standards set previously. Wasn't "removing red tape" one of the main aims of brexit.

The rest of your post is opinion. Which is fine. But none of this is reflective of what's actually going on.

"

the political chaos - well that comes down to the deceitfulness of the political class (they are all as bad as each other) and their viewpoint that they no better than the stupid people who voted - the same stupid people of course who voted them in as MPs...well said totally agree.

My struggle with the above is 1) are there any laws in particlaur you dislike the eu handing down to us (bearing in mind we could have vetod) or is it a fear we may be given one in the future.

2) what, other than trade deals stop us accessing these other markets and what part doe the eu play?

3) if it is trade deals, this implies a lot of value in deals. So we are (under no deal) putting at risk some of the 40% of exports we do with the EU... Plus another c 10 to 20 % we have via the eu, to try and boost the remaining 40% to me that's a bit of a gamble.

4) it doesn't take much of a hit to our economy to reduce tax receipts by a couple of %. So what we save from eu fees may be needed to plug this gap. That's before any uplift in welfare. As people like to point out unemployment is at a historic low. It can't get much lower, but could get higher. Again, that's a bit of a gamble.

I realise that different people prioritise different things and see different risks and opportunity.

But in terms of a good trade arrangement with our nearest neighbour, and low unemployment, it feels there are small benefits to be had and the risk of big losses...."

This.

"

Still no one able to suggest a single, potential benefit to the UK or to the population.

But, but, but . . . blue passports!

"

That's as close as what anyone else has said.

Fair enough.

Take the blame for what?

All set to get worse.

Still no one able to suggest a single, potential benefit to the UK or to the population.employment at a 40 yr high wages rising you can spin stats anyway you want did no business close before brexit did the pound never fall economy never struggle ? Some ppl on here were claiming flights would be grounded troops on the streets the truth is we haven't left yet calm down "

So the main argument is that Brexit isn't as bad as some people made out to be?

Central

"""" We know that the country will be worse off. No one is even suggesting otherwise. """

You seem to feel the country will be worse off. I am just very skeptical, no one can be sure. I take the view it could go either way, the thing we can be sure of is the future will arrive or put another way we will arrive in the future. "

Day 1

Imports and exports will be subject to very different tariffs, as the UK loses the benefit of 60 odd trade agreements that we have already paid to negotiate and have completed. Immediately worse off. Shopping will hit your personal budget as retailers won't absorb all cost increases.

Other firms will be hit by increased logistics costs, with customs systems imposed, extended timeframes - no magic money tree will be found to subsidise consumers from the knock on effects.

The £billions that exiting cost the country will cost you too. Taxpayers money will not be available for other national needs, as it will have been spent, impacting on UK borrowing. Meanwhile the UK will need to pay its EU departure fees, so it can negotiate trade agreements with the EU, plus support Farages pension

Some things don't need a crystal ball to foresee. colleagues

Central

You seem to feel the country will be worse off. I am just very skeptical, no one can be sure. I take the view it could go either way, the thing we can be sure of is the future will arrive or put another way we will arrive in the future.

Day 1

Imports and exports will be subject to very different tariffs, as the UK loses the benefit of 60 odd trade agreements that we have already paid to negotiate and have completed. Immediately worse off. Shopping will hit your personal budget as retailers won't absorb all cost increases.

Other firms will be hit by increased logistics costs, with customs systems imposed, extended timeframes - no magic money tree will be found to subsidise consumers from the knock on effects.

The £billions that exiting cost the country will cost you too. Taxpayers money will not be available for other national needs, as it will have been spent, impacting on UK borrowing. Meanwhile the UK will need to pay its EU departure fees, so it can negotiate trade agreements with the EU, plus support Farages pension

Some things don't need a crystal ball to foresee."

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"Can you remember back to 2016!

The conservative PM campaigned to stay in the EU and the leader of the opposition said we needed to leave the EU to protect workers rights!

Untrue

How things have turned around. The conservative PM actually wants to honour the result and the leader of the opposition, well does anybody really knows what he wants except for being PM at any cost!

BoZo simply wants the PM job, he couldn't give a shit about the public

The UK voted to leave the EU. If parliament can't agree to accept the deal offered (rejected three times) we have to leave without one. The people to blame are the MP's who voted against the deal..!!

That'll be the ERG then

"

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it"

How do you know? We haven't left yet.

"Think of brexit as leaving home to make our own way in the world with all the possibilities it brings. Sure we could carry on living with the parents (Merkel and Macron), paying money into the communal pot and living under the parents rules. But no, let's leave home and put ourselves first. Keep what we earn and make our own rules."

Britain, the hormonal teenager.good analogy.

We are going to move out, and realise all of our parents rules make sense. Like don't piss in the fireplace. And don't drink green milk. We're also going to realise it costs more to live alone, so whole we save putting money in the communal pot, we end up with less spending money. And probably end up finding those big boys from across the street aren't actually as good a friend as we think and don't spend more time with us now we are in a smaller house. Not unless we are happy them eating everything in the fridge.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

well said and very true

thornaby

"Think of brexit as leaving home to make our own way in the world with all the possibilities it brings. Sure we could carry on living with the parents (Merkel and Macron), paying money into the communal pot and living under the parents rules. But no, let's leave home and put ourselves first. Keep what we earn and make our own rules.

Britain, the hormonal teenager.good analogy.

We are going to move out, and realise all of our parents rules make sense. Like don't piss in the fireplace. And don't drink green milk. We're also going to realise it costs more to live alone, so whole we save putting money in the communal pot, we end up with less spending money. And probably end up finding those big boys from across the street aren't actually as good a friend as we think and don't spend more time with us now we are in a smaller house. Not unless we are happy them eating everything in the fridge.

So

"

so do you guys still live at home with yr parents then lol

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

How do you know? We haven't left yet. "

We don't have to leave to know it's shit.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

"

Crystal ball ?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

"

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?"

Why would you need a crystal ball?

There are plenty things in life you can predict when you have the information.

Would you put a hot iron poker on your nuts? You wouldn't, because it would be shit. You know this, without the use of a crystal ball.

thornaby

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

"

but we do because know one can see the future mate not even you lol

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

but we do because know one can see the future mate not even you lol"

See above.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Would you put a hot iron poker on your nuts? You wouldn't, because it would be shit. You know this, without the use of a crystal ball."

Do you win the lottery every time you play it?

You know all the numbers, you know that 6 will be picked - so you must know the outcome . That’s what your saying yes? You have all the information so you know what the outcome will be...

Thornaby

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

How do you know? We haven't left yet. "

I know

The IMF know

The TUC know

The government know

In fact anyone who even looks at the figures know

Thornaby

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Would you put a hot iron poker on your nuts? You wouldn't, because it would be shit. You know this, without the use of a crystal ball.

You know all the numbers, you know that 6 will be picked - so you must know the outcome . That’s what your saying yes? You have all the information so you know what the outcome will be...

"

I realize you are not that bright (the clues in your post). Go look up the difference between probability and possibility.

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

"

This is a good example. You have none of the information when you play the lottery. So you have no idea if you will win.

If you drop a hammer on your foot. You do know what will happen.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

This is a good example. You have none of the information when you play the lottery. So you have no idea if you will win.

If you drop a hammer on your foot. You do know what will happen."

You do have the information when you play the lottery . Numbers 1 to 59 are used. Six will be picked out.

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

You do have the information when you play the lottery . Numbers 1 to 59 are used. Six will be picked out."

Why is this such a difficult concept for you? Thinking about what will happen next, based on information and evidence is a basic human skill.

What direction do you drive when you're going to work in the morning? Do you pick one at random because you just don't know or do you go in the direction you know will take you to work?

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

You do have the information when you play the lottery . Numbers 1 to 59 are used. Six will be picked out.

Why is this such a difficult concept for you? Thinking about what will happen next, based on information and evidence is a basic human skill.

What direction do you drive when you're going to work in the morning? Do you pick one at random because you just don't know or do you go in the direction you know will take you to work?"

You don't know Brexit will be shit. It hasn't happened yet. For all your posturing about dropping hammers on your foot, poker on your nuts... the variables possible for Brexit do not allow you to say Brexit will be shit.

There is more than one way to get from A to B. Different routes, all with positives and negatives. You still get to your destination...

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

What direction do you drive when you're going to work in the morning? Do you pick one at random because you just don't know or do you go in the direction you know will take you to work?

You don't know Brexit will be shit. It hasn't happened yet. For all your posturing about dropping hammers on your foot, poker on your nuts... the variables possible for Brexit do not allow you to say Brexit will be shit.

There is more than one way to get from A to B. Different routes, all with positives and negatives. You still get to your destination..."

Okay.

So we can say with 99.99999999999% confidence that Brexit will be shit. Because we have all the information we need. There's a list of negatives as long as a person with very long arms's, arm. And not a single instance of even a half peep at something that has the potential to be a marginally positive.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

There is more than one way to get from A to B. Different routes, all with positives and negatives. You still get to your destination...

Okay.

So we can say with 99.99999999999% confidence that Brexit will be shit. Because we have all the information we need. There's a list of negatives as long as a person with very long arms's, arm. And not a single instance of even a half peep at something that has the potential to be a marginally positive."

You don't have all the information though do you...

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

So we can say with 99.99999999999% confidence that Brexit will be shit. Because we have all the information we need. There's a list of negatives as long as a person with very long arms's, arm. And not a single instance of even a half peep at something that has the potential to be a marginally positive.

"

What information are we lacking?

Is there any that suggest anything other than brexit being shit? Because there has been ample opportunity for it to be presented. But it hasn't been. My guess is, because it doesn't exist.

Arguing with me on here won't magically turn Brexit into something that will benefit the UK.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

Is there any that suggest anything other than brexit being shit? Because there has been ample opportunity for it to be presented. But it hasn't been. My guess is, because it doesn't exist.

Arguing with me on here won't magically turn Brexit into something that will benefit the UK.

"

Whats missing.... the outcome of actually leaving.

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

"

Can you give me an example of a potential positive outcome.

Not something ground breaking.

Just one thing. That would benefit the country.

Anything has got to be better than maintaining the status quo.

"Anything has got to be better than maintaining the status quo."

Even something worse than the status que?

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

Just one thing. That would benefit the country."

Upon leaving the Eu trading partners sign continuity trade agreements with the Uk

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

Upon leaving the Eu trading partners sign continuity trade agreements with the Uk"

At best that's on par with what we have now. Not a benefit.

Try again.

This should be easy. You seem adamant that Brexit won't be shit.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

Upon leaving the Eu trading partners sign continuity trade agreements with the Uk

Try again.

This should be easy. You seem adamant that Brexit won't be shit."

I don't know if Brexit will not be shit... it hasn't happened yet.

I am less inclined to believe the rhetoric being churned out by the loudest voices, who have different agendas to making Brexit a success.

You can believe that rhetoric if you want - thats your choice.

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

Try again.

I am less inclined to believe the rhetoric being churned out by the loudest voices, who have different agendas to making Brexit a success.

"

Don't listen to the rhetoric. But do look at the information available.

And besides the loudest voices over the past three years seem to have been the likes of Farage and Johnson.

So you keep saying you don't know what will happen. But all the signs point to brexit being shit. You can choose to ignore it all and believe anything you like. But then it becomes a religion, and has nothing to do with reality.

here

Untrue

That'll be the ERG then

Brexit is shit.

Bin it

Crystal ball ?

Okay.

Try again.

And besides the loudest voices over the past three years seem to have been the likes of Farage and Johnson.

So you keep saying you don't know what will happen. But all the signs point to brexit being shit. You can choose to ignore it all and believe anything you like. But then it becomes a religion, and has nothing to do with reality."

I can chose to ignore the changes that will happen when we leave and I can chose to ignore the negatives of leaving... either way until it happens nothing is set in stone.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I can chose to ignore the changes that will happen when we leave and I can chose to ignore the negatives of leaving... either way until it happens nothing is set in stone.

"

If you jump off a tower block nothing is set in stone until you hit the pavement, and all the way down you can say I don't believe in gravity. But when you do meet the ground others have to clean your mess up. Questions are: Who is going to clean the brexit mess up? And will part of that mess be the corpse of the Tory party?

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"

So you keep saying you don't know what will happen. But all the signs point to brexit being shit. You can choose to ignore it all and believe anything you like. But then it becomes a religion, and has nothing to do with reality."

And yet how many remainers claim that both BJ and Farage "disappeared" after the vote, cant have it both ways

Central

"...

The UK voted to leave the EU. If parliament can't agree to accept the deal offered (rejected three times) we have to leave without one. The people to blame are the MP's who voted against the deal..!!"

Logical fallacy: your false dilemma is a failure

During the Article 50 period of 2 years, the UK is free to revoke it. It would make sense, where it's clear that the outcome of negotiations don't match the predicted and advised outcome that those campaigning for EU exit gave to the electorate (it was emphasised that leaving without a deal would not happen!) If there is insufficient time now to renegotiate: and it appears that Johnson isn't investing any efforts to do so, especially since meeting with Macron and Merkel, then it of course would be completely fitting not to depart without any agreement. If the electorate still wants to depart at some point, the UK could then invoke Article 50, where it would have 2 years, during which it could negotiate. It would also presumably learn from its prior experience.

Just doing something wilfully, because it's already been started, irrespective of what you subsequently have learned, is the height of stupidity. The intelligent approach is to do what is best for the UK (this includes member states such as Northern Ireland, which voted to remain and would also be subject to the substantial effects, due to its border with the ROI.

The responsibilities of parliament include appropriate consideration being given to all changes, including legislation, that the government must pass. Whilst it has previously assessed the negotiated deal, it has not done so, for what would amount to a substantialy different outcome, coming from a no deal departure. There are many options available for the UK but relieving parliament of its responsibilities at such an important time is not appropriate.

Central

"Anything has got to be better than maintaining the status quo."

Many things are better than the status quo, with having Johnson as Prime Minister and his plan to prorogue Parliament.

upton wirral

"

Boris's action make him no better than the scum in the EU

That's not a nice thing to say about the neighbours.

"

You don't know my neighbours lol,only kidding

here

"I can chose to ignore the changes that will happen when we leave and I can chose to ignore the negatives of leaving... either way until it happens nothing is set in stone.

If you jump off a tower block nothing is set in stone until you hit the pavement, and all the way down you can say I don't believe in gravity. But when you do meet the ground others have to clean your mess up. Questions are: Who is going to clean the brexit mess up? And will part of that mess be the corpse of the Tory party?"

Thats it... until it happens nothing is set in stone.

You think Brexit is jumping of a tower block with only one outcome.

I don't think Brexit is comparable to something that has only one outcome.

If you jump off a tower block nothing is set in stone until you hit the pavement, and all the way down you can say I don't believe in gravity. But when you do meet the ground others have to clean your mess up. Questions are: Who is going to clean the brexit mess up? And will part of that mess be the corpse of the Tory party?

I don't think Brexit is comparable to something that has only one outcome."

Russian roulette?

here

Russian roulette? "

eventually Russian roulette will kill you..

Brexit isn't going to kill us

Thornaby

Russian roulette?

Brexit isn't going to kill us"

Neither is staying in the EU.

So list the benefits to the average person in the street, the sort of person who carries the risk.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Russian roulette?

Brexit isn't going to kill us

Neither is staying in the EU.

So list the benefits to the average person in the street, the sort of person who carries the risk."

Yes this. Three years and billions of pounds. Nobody, NOBODY, has been able to state a single concrete improvement in the lives of the people of the UK that will result from brexit.

Sovereignty. We had it, we've got less of it now.

Taking back control. Don't make me laugh.

Securing our borders. When every brexiteers is now saying that we don't need a border across Ireland, that anyone will be able to freely move themselves and their goods from Eire to NI and back, without any inspection or even a passport check.

Fantastic trade deals. Better even than free trade. So good that countries will be queueing up to pay us to take their goods?

Getting rid of red tape - like workers rights, food safety, human rights...

Millions of new job opportunities - tell that to anyone who works for the multinationals that are pulling out of the UK. Even some of the wholly British companies that are relocating out of the UK.

Tell it to my grandkids that would have had the chance to freely move and work and live anywhere across 28 countries, probably more as time goes on. But now will be isolated in a diminishing dis-United Kingdom...

Still, a tiny number of very rich people are going to be even richer, and able to shit on the rest of us from an even greater height, so that's okay. We won't even be able to tell them to fuck themselves and leave for a better life in Poland or Romania. We won't be able to retire to France or Spain or Italy or Greece.

So come on. Tell us the advantages. Tell me just one thing. Anything.

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

The same could be argued about staying in the EU.

All we get is the status quo.

Nobody knows what will happen if we leave but I suspect that the world will not end and for the ordinary person on the street nothing will change.

I did think that Boris finally going for it was the right move as the useless politicians were just going round in circles and whether we were in the EU or out was not hurting the UK but being stuck in limbo was.

I thought that being faced with somebody who was actually prepared to go for no deal on the 31st Oct might focus a few minds but it appears I was wrong. The opposition continue to argue amongst themselves rather about the best way to proceed rather than actually get together. I mean Corbin wants to shut the streets with the largest protest ever seen. Is that the best he can do Boris must be clapping his hands and laughing all the way to the 31st Oct and a no deal if that is the state of the opposition.

Russian roulette?

Brexit isn't going to kill us"

Not really my point. The outcome is unknown. Indeed, one could argue its Russian roullete with more than one bullet, given the balance of arguments are for negative outcomes.... IMO at least...

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

With every passing day, a no deal brexit which was called 'project fear' in 2016 changes from being a million to 1 chance to being a racing certainty. Just as 2 months ago the Tory leadership were queuing up to appear on TV and tell us that proroguing parliament before 31st Oct was unthinkable and they would oppose any such move are now all 100% behind BoJo.

At some point the British people will have to face the fact that over the last 9 years the Tories have systematically plundered the country and lied about everything to the British people.

Welcome to Tory world where the only thing you can guarantee is unless you are a cash rich multimillionaire, multinational corporation or foreign country looking to make profit at the UK's expense, the Tories will bend you over, screw your arse without lube and expect you to lick their cocks clean and thank them for it. As for those who say they have no experience of the Tory party I describe, don't worry your turn is coming.

I have done a new thread we can continue on