FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > US retreating from Kurds

US retreating from Kurds

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Kurds, the most affective and trustworthy of western allies in the containment of ISIS in Syria, and backed by the US, are now losing that US support since Mr Trump, in a decision not supported by intelligence, military or the Pentagon, is removing US support and backing Turkey instead, the Kurds longtime enemy.

This supports Turkey’s upscaling of their involvement in Syria and will garner the long hatred and mistrust of the Kurds to the West,

Trump may be a fool but he is now an extremely dangerous fool, with blood directly on his hands.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emper-fudgeMan  over a year ago

Blackrock

Yeah i Tptally agree , As someone who thinks Trump is right on a number of issues he is totally wrong on this one, if anything he should be sending the Kurds into Turkey.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Kurds, the most affective and trustworthy of western allies in the containment of ISIS in Syria, and backed by the US, are now losing that US support since Mr Trump, in a decision not supported by intelligence, military or the Pentagon, is removing US support and backing Turkey instead, the Kurds longtime enemy.

This supports Turkey’s upscaling of their involvement in Syria and will garner the long hatred and mistrust of the Kurds to the West,

Trump may be a fool but he is now an extremely dangerous fool, with blood directly on his hands."

This seems Crazy !

Wouldn’t trust Turkey as far as I could throw them !

Total betrayal !

Ps , I too agree with Trump sometimes !

But this is weird !

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Trump in trouble at home. Make a shit storm overseas.

"Trump in trouble at home. Make a shit storm overseas. "
could be a huge own goal !

Russia , China , turkey , Iran together ?

Not sure the yanks would fancy that even with all the smart bombs !

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The Kurds shafted again by the US.

Same thing happened during the invasion of Iraq.

Repeating now in Syria.

The most rational, pragmatic of all the fighting forces in that region.

Shafted again.

Bristol East

Memory seems to tell me the Kurds are detaining some of the foreigners who went to join ISIS.

"Memory seems to tell me the Kurds are detaining some of the foreigners who went to join ISIS.

"

Memory serves you correctly !

I just don’t get this one !

Grantham

"Trump in trouble at home. Make a shit storm overseas. could be a huge own goal !

Not sure the yanks would fancy that even with all the smart bombs !"

He needs Turkey to cancel their Russian ground to air missile system contract.

If they go ahead and buy, then the USA won't be able to sell the F35 to Turkey.

"Trump in trouble at home. Make a shit storm overseas. could be a huge own goal !

Not sure the yanks would fancy that even with all the smart bombs !

He needs Turkey to cancel their Russian ground to air missile system contract.

If they go ahead and buy, then the USA won't be able to sell the F35 to Turkey. "

Exactly - its all about the dollar!

The Kurds will survive they’ve faced genocide before.

If the Turks want a war they’ll get one.

Israel a long term ally of the Kurds has allegedly supplied them with anti aircraft weapons and who knows what else.

I suppose the Kurds could also release 1000s of isis fighters they hold causing chaos in the region..

Bristol East

Robert Fisk in the Independent usually has his finger on the pulse.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

The Kurds don't buy billions of $/£ worth of arms from the USA/Britain or supply the USA with military bases from which they can project power into Eastern Europe, Middle East, Caucasus and Southern Russia. So when it comes down to it, they will be thrown under the bus every time there is a conflict of interests with the military industrial complex. After all, as the song says:

https://youtu.be/PIAXG_QcQNU

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"The Kurds don't buy billions of $/£ worth of arms from the USA/Britain or supply the USA with military bases from which they can project power into Eastern Europe, Middle East, Caucasus and Southern Russia. So when it comes down to it, they will be thrown under the bus every time there is a conflict of interests with the military industrial complex. After all, as the song says:

https://youtu.be/PIAXG_QcQNU"

Exactly. Turkey is far too important a member of NATO for the USA to ever back the Kurds against them.

It's just Realpolitik.

Bristol East

"

Exactly. Turkey is far too important a member of NATO for the USA to ever back the Kurds against them.

It's just Realpolitik."

I remember realising how stupid the geopolitics of Syria were when, the Kurds, armed by NATO, were bombed by the Turks, armed by NATO.

And NATO just shrugged its shoulders.

moston

"I remember realising how stupid the geopolitics of Syria were when, the Kurds, armed by NATO, were bombed by the Turks, armed by NATO.

"

I am disappointed in you Sara. What is stupid about arming everyone in a conflict? (Remember a lot (if not most) of the weapons used by ISIS were also originally supplied by NATO (USA in reality) to Saudi (the backer and quartermaster of ISIS).

It's good business you know...

OK I'll give you that it is amoral and repugnant to any right thinking person, but that's the global arms industry, and it really is making a killing in the Middle East.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Kurds, the most affective and trustworthy of western allies in the containment of ISIS in Syria, and backed by the US, are now losing that US support since Mr Trump, in a decision not supported by intelligence, military or the Pentagon, is removing US support and backing Turkey instead, the Kurds longtime enemy.

Trump may be a fool but he is now an extremely dangerous fool, with blood directly on his hands."

This could be where the republican party decide that they need to get rid of him, If impeachment goes to the senate im sure mitch mconnell will vote impeachment.

By *orksCouple25Couple  over a year ago

Leeds

The Kurds are the biggest ethnic group in the world without a homeland (about 14m) . Unfortunately for them the way the big powers drew the map of that area after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire they spread them across 4 different counties (Turkey ,Syria ,Iraq and Iran ) becoming a minority in all 4 countries .

Unfortunately nobody gives a shit about them and because they are desperate they keep putting trust in anyone who comes along and promises them something in return for something else in the latest case to die fighting Isis and the other Islamic jihadists in Syria . They are mere pawns in the big powers chess game .

Bristol East

“As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over the captured ISIS fighters and families.”

- Donald Trump

"my great and unmatched wisdom"

Read that last night- today has been about damage limitation but the removal of a handful of US troops and a swing of military support is going down well with a lot of knuckle- dragging ill-informed and frankly deluded, voters.

I often get the impression that a large percentage of US inhabitants have no grasp of the reality and complexity of international relations. The ‘Make the US great again’ is frankly, chilling.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

have to sadly agree

upton wirral

"The Kurds are the biggest ethnic group in the world without a homeland (about 14m) . Unfortunately for them the way the big powers drew the map of that area after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire they spread them across 4 different counties (Turkey ,Syria ,Iraq and Iran ) becoming a minority in all 4 countries .

Unfortunately nobody gives a shit about them and because they are desperate they keep putting trust in anyone who comes along and promises them something in return for something else in the latest case to die fighting Isis and the other Islamic jihadists in Syria . They are mere pawns in the big powers chess game ."

Kurds are wonderfull people although have not met many

moston

"Trump may be a fool but he is now an extremely dangerous fool, with blood directly on his hands. "

I suspect you are very wrong, it is may opinion that Trump is a traitor working to advance the interests of Russia and undermine Western alliances, interests and stability. His open undermining of what passes as democracy and his contempt for the US rule of law and separation of powers can only be explained by his being a puppet of the Kremlin. Even his trade wars, especially with China benefit Russia.

upton wirral

"Trump may be a fool but he is now an extremely dangerous fool, with blood directly on his hands.

I suspect you are very wrong, it is may opinion that Trump is a traitor working to advance the interests of Russia and undermine Western alliances, interests and stability. His open undermining of what passes as democracy and his contempt for the US rule of law and separation of powers can only be explained by his being a puppet of the Kremlin. Even his trade wars, especially with China benefit Russia."

Will you make me laugh if you ever write a book on your conspirisy theories I will buy it.

moston

"Will you make me laugh if you ever write a book on your conspirisy theories I will buy it."

Really?

In that case you will be able to name at least one policy that the Donald has enacted that has been beneficial to the West and has curbed Putin and The Kremlin's obvious expansionism.

Name just 1 and I will withdraw my last statement.

Of course if you can't I expect you will be equally willing to withdraw your allegation that I am some sort of conspiracy theorist and acknowledge that I am just observing Trumps actions, applying logic and reaching a conclusion that fits the facts.

Bristol East

Reports that the Turks have started bombing the Kurds.

Ethnic cleansing 2019.

moston

"Reports that the Turks have started bombing the Kurds.

Ethnic cleansing 2019."

We will have to see how the god-president punishes the Turks economy if this is true. At a very minimum I would expect to see the Turkish Lira to tank and the people to rise up against Erdogan and his government to be overthrown. After all he of the "great and unmatched wisdom" has spoken.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Ethnic cleansing 2019."

Where did this news come from russia.

Ayr

"

It's just Realpolitik.

I remember realising how stupid the geopolitics of Syria were when, the Kurds, armed by NATO, were bombed by the Turks, armed by NATO.

"

Well, quite.

Grantham

Turkish forces start their offensive.

So much for common sense and restraint! Especially against a force that helped the West against ISIS.

Bristol East

Clear evidence you cannot rely on US integrity when the White House has the smell of $ in its nostrils.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

Nobody has mentioned Trump has personal business interests in Turkey. What's the betting Erdogan threatened to rip his name off the towers?

Ethnic cleansing 2019.Where did this news come from russia. "

From the world news he has already started murdering civilians

Bristol East

The Kurds are holding 10,000 IS fanatics.

The Kurds lost 11,000 fighters defeating ISIS (even though Trump says he alone defeated ISIS).

The Kurds have small arms from NATO.

Trump, the de facto head of NATO, pulls the NATO shield from the Kurds.

Turkey, a member of NATO, now attacks the Kurds.

Will the Kurds continue to deploy resources to the detention of the IS fanatics, or release them to defend against the Turks?

Is NATO incompetent?

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"Memory seems to tell me the Kurds are detaining some of the foreigners who went to join ISIS.

"

If this doesn't show the total folly of next get those ISIS British Citizen currently imprisoned by the Curds back home to face justice for their acts of terror and, where necessary, constant supervision. I sometimes wonder who's side people are actually on.

Bristol East

Turks on the ground now.

Watched an interview with Turkey vice-president on Al Jazeera.

The objective is two-fold:

A) to "eliminate" the Syrian Kurds (pop 1.7 m)

B) to relocate Syrian refugees from Turkey to the cleared land.

Some 3 million refugees in Turkey.

YPG now shelling towns in Turkey.

Well done, Trump, another masterstroke of foreign policy.

Ethnic cleansing.

Bristol East

It's not often my jaw drops.

Trump, when asked why he had abandoned the Kurds, said:

"They did not help us in the Second World War, they did not help us at Normandy."

Frankly im appalled by the Americans,. I thought the UN could have possibly intervened via the use of peacekeeping forces.

I cringe to think of the level of betrayal, it will go down in the history books as a day of infamy for the USA and Turkey

"It's not often my jaw drops.

"They did not help us in the Second World War, they did not help us at Normandy."

"

This from draft dodging Trump, the fucking shit!

upton wirral

"Will you make me laugh if you ever write a book on your conspirisy theories I will buy it.

Really?

In that case you will be able to name at least one policy that the Donald has enacted that has been beneficial to the West and has curbed Putin and The Kremlin's obvious expansionism.

Name just 1 and I will withdraw my last statement.

Of course if you can't I expect you will be equally willing to withdraw your allegation that I am some sort of conspiracy theorist and acknowledge that I am just observing Trumps actions, applying logic and reaching a conclusion that fits the facts. "

No because you are never objective and you know that

A lot of the isis prisoners of war are from Europe.....it’s the european country’s that should be taking them back for trial....feel sorry for the Kurds ....and turkeys decision to bomb them shows that turkey sympathises with isis....why would they be bombing a Kurdish prison which is holding Isis followers ???....so they can escape ??

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Trump must have done some shady deal with the Turks

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"

. Wait 'till Trump finds out we didn't help in Vietnam , there goes our great post Brexit deal ,,,, which ever God you believe in ( or even if you don't ) may I suggest you say a little prayer for The Kurds tonight , I suspect they may be in for a rough few days / weeks

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I am glad someone put up the normandy quote because i am still stunned.....

the more they are showing of this on US TV (and they are!) the more irate he is getting....

i wish that someone at the top had the balls the say no to this.... because this is the exactly situation that mattis resigned over... and kelly... and mcgirk

there is no one in his orbit big enough or brave enough to tell him no, and thats the scariest bit of all...

I’m not a Trump basher for the sake of it , but as betrayals go it’s up thier with Warsaw uprising and Soviet lack of help !

All the yanks had to do was stay put and the Turks would have done nothing !

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"

WTF!!

Words fail me.

"

They didn’t even help defend the airports in The Revolutionary Wars, either. Least they could have done, I think.....

moston

"No because you are never objective and you know that"

And there it is for all to see.

You refuse to name a single action that contradicts my assertion because you can't, but even in that refusal you attack me again because you can't counter my assertion.

You are so rabidly right wing that you support Trump's ultra right wing, white supremacist anti gay (and to him you are gay because you wear women's cloths) brand of fascism that would see your own kind locked up or exterminated. I really feel sorry for you, you are the epitome of a turkey voting for Christmas.

Let’s get it right !

Where were the Yanks for us in the Falklands ?

Turkey was neutral in ww2 and against us in ww1 !

Not forgetting Cyprus !

Yet we suck up to then even considering letting them on the EU .

That what buffer zones are about..... no moral involvement, only self interest.

moston

"That what buffer zones are about..... no moral involvement, only self interest."

Are you really suggesting that the 'forming a buffer zone for refugees to live in' is anything other than a cover story to justify destroying the embryonic independent Kurdish homeland that now exists in Syria before it is able to combine with the semi-independent Kurdish homeland in Iraq?

Reread the post.

belfast/holywood

Trump may be a fool but he is now an extremely dangerous fool, with blood directly on his hands. This seems Crazy !

Wouldn’t trust Turkey as far as I could throw them !

Total betrayal !"

I’d never go to Turkey on holiday after watching Midnight Express

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Turkey threatening the eu with 3.6 million refugees if they say its an invasion again.

belfast/holywood

What do Syria, Iran, Iraq , Saudi Arabia , Yemen , libya, Egypt, Tunisia and now Turkey have in common ?

moston

"What do Syria, Iran, Iraq , Saudi Arabia , Yemen , libya, Egypt, Tunisia and now Turkey have in common ?"

How about:

The indigenous populations are not WASP's, but are being fucked over by the most violent and violently WASP country in the world?

Or:

They are hot!

Maybe something completely different, how about you tell us.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"No because you are never objective and you know that

And there it is for all to see.

You refuse to name a single action that contradicts my assertion because you can't, but even in that refusal you attack me again because you can't counter my assertion.

You are so rabidly right wing that you support Trump's ultra right wing, white supremacist anti gay (and to him you are gay because you wear women's cloths) brand of fascism that would see your own kind locked up or exterminated. I really feel sorry for you, you are the epitome of a turkey voting for Christmas."

wow thats a rant and a half. you got a real hard on for trumpy havent u lol

moston

"wow thats a rant and a half. you got a real hard on for trumpy havent u lol"

Trump is what he is, but when I get told I am a conspiracy theorist by a TV who is constantly defending Trump and everything ultra right wing because he is unable to show a single action of Trump's that contradicts my observations, then I point out to said TV exactly who and what he is defending and their opinions about his right to exist. That you see my post as a rant shows that either you have either missed or ignored the context.

borehamwood

saying he would lock up or exterminate tv.s is a bit of a rant.personaly he just a cock like 99% of politicians the all talk shit i doubt he even remembers what he said give mins after saying it

belfast/holywood

"wow thats a rant and a half. you got a real hard on for trumpy havent u lol

Trump is what he is, but when I get told I am a conspiracy theorist by a TV who is constantly defending Trump and everything ultra right wing because he is unable to show a single action of Trump's that contradicts my observations, then I point out to said TV exactly who and what he is defending and their opinions about his right to exist. That you see my post as a rant shows that either you have either missed or ignored the context."

What have tranvestites got to do with this ?.? Lost sorry

belfast/holywood

"What do Syria, Iran, Iraq , Saudi Arabia , Yemen , libya, Egypt, Tunisia and now Turkey have in common ?

How about:

The indigenous populations are not WASP's, but are being fucked over by the most violent and violently WASP country in the world?

Or:

They are hot!

Maybe something completely different, how about you tell us."

Places I won’t be going on holiday - ever. I normally bank on having a good time and not returning in a coffin

moston

"saying he would lock up or exterminate tv.s is a bit of a rant.personaly he just a cock like 99% of politicians the all talk shit i doubt he even remembers what he said give mins after saying it"

You may be right.

moston

"Places I won’t be going on holiday - ever. I normally bank on having a good time and not returning in a coffin"

Ah! The voice of enlightened self-interest!

belfast/holywood

Turkey is NATOs second largest army ffs. Who knew

belfast/holywood

How many US soldiers were pulled out?

50 apparently

moston

"How many US soldiers were pulled out?

50 apparently"

It's not the number of troops, it's the type of troops and the political and military intent that was shown by embedding them with (and now withdrawing them from) the Kurd's.

To be clear, they were 'Green Berets', the British equivalent would be 50 SAS troopers.

Bristol East

Yes, the US financed and armed the Kurds.

So long as those US boots were on the ground, Turkey was deterred.

I believe the US troops were relocated south, beyond the zone targeted by Erdogan, after his call with Trump on Sunday.

I have no idea what Trump's objective is.

He appears to have no coherent strategy on any foreign policy.

belfast/holywood

"How many US soldiers were pulled out?

50 apparently

It's not the number of troops, it's the type of troops and the political and military intent that was shown by embedding them with (and now withdrawing them from) the Kurd's.

To be clear, they were 'Green Berets', the British equivalent would be 50 SAS troopers. "

I know it’s not the number of troops- was just saying. As for 50= 50. Maybe navy seals and delta force getting close ( but nowhere near ) to SAS. But 50 green berets = about 10 SAS

moston

"Yes, the US financed and armed the Kurds.

So long as those US boots were on the ground, Turkey was deterred.

I believe the US troops were relocated south, beyond the zone targeted by Erdogan, after his call with Trump on Sunday.

I have no idea what Trump's objective is.

He appears to have no coherent strategy on any foreign policy."

I believe you are wrong Sara, stop looking at details, step back and look at the big picture. Everything Trump has done has advanced Putin's agenda of destabilising Western alliances, undermining Western (especially US) intelligence services and democratic processes.

moston

"I know it’s not the number of troops- was just saying. As for 50= 50. Maybe navy seals and delta force getting close ( but nowhere near ) to SAS. But 50 green berets = about 10 SAS"

Clearly you have little or no knowledge of what you are talking. Green Berets are Delta Force. They are not primarily war fighters, in fact (where embedded) when they have to engage an enemy they have failed in their primary mission because they are 'hearts and minds' troops. They are teachers and medics who train, build, guide and mentor insurgent armies.

And just to be clear that is also the primary roll of the SAS.

Bristol East

Erdogan and Putin are in cahoots.

Big Russian investment in energy projects in Turkey.

Putin did not spit the dummy when Turkey shot down the Russian jet over the border.

The Kurds must now be regretting seeking an alliance with the Americans rather than the Russians or Iran.

Putin issued a statement calling for dialogue between Turkey and the Kurds.

I wonder what Assad is saying about Turkish invasion of Syria?

belfast/holywood

"I know it’s not the number of troops- was just saying. As for 50= 50. Maybe navy seals and delta force getting close ( but nowhere near ) to SAS. But 50 green berets = about 10 SAS

Clearly you have little or no knowledge of what you are talking. Green Berets are Delta Force. They are not primarily war fighters, in fact (where embedded) when they have to engage an enemy they have failed in their primary mission because they are 'hearts and minds' troops. They are teachers and medics who train, build, guide and mentor insurgent armies.

And just to be clear that is also the primary roll of the SAS."

Erm.... how many years did u serve in SF?

belfast/holywood

"I know it’s not the number of troops- was just saying. As for 50= 50. Maybe navy seals and delta force getting close ( but nowhere near ) to SAS. But 50 green berets = about 10 SAS

And just to be clear that is also the primary roll of the SAS."

You have no idea what you are talking about

moston

[Removed by poster at 10/10/19 20:37:24]

belfast/holywood

Delta force and green berets are totally different

Bristol East

"

I believe you are wrong Sara, stop looking at details, step back and look at the big picture. Everything Trump has done has advanced Putin's agenda of destabilising Western alliances, undermining Western (especially US) intelligence services and democratic processes.

"

Whether it is Erdogan threatening to expel 3.7 million Syrian refugees into Europe, or 11,000 IS fanatics being released from captivity in north Syria, the destabilising consequences for Europe are obvious.

"The Kurds are holding 10,000 IS fanatics.

The Kurds lost 11,000 fighters defeating ISIS (even though Trump says he alone defeated ISIS).

The Kurds have small arms from NATO.

Trump, the de facto head of NATO, pulls the NATO shield from the Kurds.

Turkey, a member of NATO, now attacks the Kurds.

Will the Kurds continue to deploy resources to the detention of the IS fanatics, or release them to defend against the Turks?

Is NATO incompetent?

"

Yes very incompetent as is the UN

moston

"Yes very incompetent as is the UN"

Yep, it is so incompetent it managed to destroy the Warsaw Pact without starting WW3. Unlike say, the USA's, competent, alliances of the willing and unilateral military actions such as in Vietnam and the Middle East.

Personally, I wish we had a bit more of that NATO grade of incompetence. Yep, all things considered, you are probably right and NATO should be scrapped as it is clearly unfit for purpose. After all we really need more wars not less and a military alliance that stops wars just does not cut it.

By *iltsguy200Man  over a year ago

Warminster

You have no idea what you are talking about"

The United States Army Special Forces, colloquially known as the Green Berets due to their distinctive service headgear, are a special operations force of the United States Army that are designed to deploy and execute nine doctrinal missions: unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, direct action, counter-insurgency, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, information operations, counterproliferation of weapon of mass destruction, and security force assistance via seven geographically focused groups.

They are referred to as Tier 2 operators.

The 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta, commonly referred to as Delta Force, Combat Applications Group, "The Unit", Army Compartmented Element, or within JSOC as Task Force Green, is an elite special operations force of the United States Army, under operational control of the Joint Special Operations Command.

The unit is tasked with specialized missions primarily involving counter-terrorism, hostage rescue, direct action, interdiction, and special reconnaissance against high-value targets.

Delta Force and its Navy counterpart, DEVGRU (sometimes referred to as SEAL Team 6), are the U.S. military's primary Tier 1 Special Mission Units tasked with performing the most complex, classified, and dangerous missions directed by the National Command Authority.

The Delta Force selection and training is based on that of the SAS as the officer who founded it (Charles Beckwith) had served on an exchange tour with the SAS.

The United States Army Special Forces, colloquially known as the Green Berets due to their distinctive service headgear, are a special operations force of the United States Army that are designed to deploy and execute nine doctrinal missions: unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, direct action, counter-insurgency, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, information operations, counterproliferation of weapon of mass destruction, and security force assistance via seven geographically focused groups.

The 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta, commonly referred to as Delta Force, Combat Applications Group, "The Unit", Army Compartmented Element, or within JSOC as Task Force Green, is an elite special operations force of the United States Army, under operational control of the Joint Special Operations Command.

The unit is tasked with specialized missions primarily involving counter-terrorism, hostage rescue, direct action, interdiction, and special reconnaissance against high-value targets.

Delta Force and its Navy counterpart, DEVGRU (sometimes referred to as SEAL Team 6), are the U.S. military's primary Tier 1 Special Mission Units tasked with performing the most complex, classified, and dangerous missions directed by the National Command Authority.

The Delta Force selection and training is based on that of the SAS as the officer who founded it (Charles Beckwith) had served on an exchange tour with the SAS.

"

You are definitely better than google

belfast/holywood

"

Exactly. Delta force are not green berets. Look.... just cos you served in the pioneer corps or the catering corps doesn’t mean you know what you are on about. Even when you do google the answer, you don’t read it or know what it means. It’s like comparing the Pathfinders with the SAS. ( that’s right- get google out to find out who the Pathfinders are). It took you 16 hours to trot out your last answer . How long to come back with more tosh

belfast/holywood

"

SAS?.,. Hearts and minds?.. really. I mean, really ?. Show me that on google please

moston

"SAS?.,. Hearts and minds?.. really. I mean, really ?. Show me that on google please"

I never had that much time for the painters when doing hot ops, they were far too arrogant which led to them fucking up (yea they fucked up regularly), but unless the troopers who fucked up were in the permanent cadre they were retroactively RTUed because the SAS never get it wrong!

By the way, you having such a deep (hinting at first hand knowledge of the SAS) you will of course be able to tell us all why their nickname is 22 painters, and you will also be able to name the units that were disbanded in 96 when UKSF Brigade was formed and the SAS took over their SF support rolls.

The US betrayed an ally who spilled blood in a joint fight against the so-called Islamic State (ISIS). Kurds, left at the mercy of their declared enemy, Turkey, speak of a "knife in the back." What happened to them should be a warning to everyone who over-ties their safety and future to Donald Trump's decisions.

belfast/holywood

The scale of the deceit by both the US administration and the Turkish regime is staggering . It would take weeks for any military organisation of any note ( of which the Turks are not) to plan and co ordinate such an incursion along an extended front that has been witnessed along the Syrian border. For one day 50 US troops to be withdrawn and the next for the incursions to happen is as a clear cut case of joint planning that I have ever witnessed . For Trump to act all cross is the funniest thing since Tommy Coopers “just like that “ ( sorry young ‘uns). And the western press is as gormless as ever

If Putin offered a super cash for all US atomics plus private privileges for Trump in Russia, he would probably sell it all in a moment. If the Russians offer him office buildings all over Russia and mines in Siberia, Trump will gladly sell all Eastern Europe, including Germany, and American soldiers will make sure that everything goes smoothly. Here is a real ally. The Kurds have already understood this.

Bristol East

Incorrigbly corruptible

(I had to put my teeth back in after saying that )

Ayr

"... for any military organisation of any note ( of which the Turks are not)"

That's overly dismissive of a military that brings more conventional firepower to the NATO table than the UK does.

Their capabilities are more significant than you imply - and their geography is why the Kurds are up shit creek.

It's long been the way of the US and the UK to say to their darker skinned allies, "Thanks for all your help; now fuck off."

This is just the latest example.

Bristol East

All the makings of another Bosnia Herzgvonia.

A superior force, determined to eradicate an ethnicity they saw as vermin.

(They called them Turks, ironically.)

Western countries, wringing their hands, shaking their heads, condemning the Serbs, but ultimately sitting on their arses.

Until Bill Clinton decided enough was enough and ordered the NATO bombers into action.

No point in looking towards this US president to stand up to ethnic cleansing.

Where is the NATO no-fly zone, the armed protection on the ground for civilians facing extinction?

Bristol East

And to think Erdogan led the parade through Sarajevo on National Genocide Day in July.

So ,,, ISIS are our enemy and we don't like the Syrian regime and we definitely don't like Russia , America is our greatest ally and our Turkush friends are part of NATO ,,, We get help from the Kurds in Syria who help us in our battle against ISIS , to such an extent that they keep ISIS prisoners in their own territory ( even those who may hold British passports ) because we don't want those people back here "you" can keep them there ,,so they do ,, then when it appears that ISIS may be so weak they may be actually defeated our greatest ally stops assisting our Kurdish friends who have helped us in our fight against ISIS and allow our NATO ally , Turkey , to move into Kurdish territory in Syria , meaning our Kurdish friends who were guarding the ISIS prisoners , that we don't want back here, now have to abandon their prison guard duty to fight against our NATO ally , with the potential of our enemy ISIS prisoners , who , remember , we don't want here under lock and key , escaping and maybe fighting us again , but there is a potential relief for our helpful Kurdish allies because it is reported that the Syrian government ( who we don't like ) have agreed a deal and are moving their troops ( possibly with the assistance of Russian troops -- who we also don't like ) to assist our Kurdish friends in their struggle against a NATO ally ,,,,,,,,,,,

Bristol East

Praise be, Mr Assad.

Kick those Turks outta your country and stand up for the Kurds.

Justice for the Kurds.

upton wirral

"Trump must have done some shady deal with the Turks"
Trump is just an idiot simple as that

"The US betrayed an ally who spilled blood in a joint fight against the so-called Islamic State (ISIS). Kurds, left at the mercy of their declared enemy, Turkey, speak of a "knife in the back." What happened to them should be a warning to everyone who over-ties their safety and future to Donald Trump's decisions."
Couodnt agree more tho I’d say Trump stabbed the Kurds in the front aswell !

As a side issue , are thier still some U.K. citizens fighting along side the Kurds ?

Grantham

"So ,,, ISIS are our enemy and we don't like the Syrian regime and we definitely don't like Russia , America is our greatest ally and our Turkush friends are part of NATO ,,, We get help from the Kurds in Syria who help us in our battle against ISIS , to such an extent that they keep ISIS prisoners in their own territory ( even those who may hold British passports ) because we don't want those people back here "you" can keep them there ,,so they do ,, then when it appears that ISIS may be so weak they may be actually defeated our greatest ally stops assisting our Kurdish friends who have helped us in our fight against ISIS and allow our NATO ally , Turkey , to move into Kurdish territory in Syria , meaning our Kurdish friends who were guarding the ISIS prisoners , that we don't want back here, now have to abandon their prison guard duty to fight against our NATO ally , with the potential of our enemy ISIS prisoners , who , remember , we don't want here under lock and key , escaping and maybe fighting us again , but there is a potential relief for our helpful Kurdish allies because it is reported that the Syrian government ( who we don't like ) have agreed a deal and are moving their troops ( possibly with the assistance of Russian troops -- who we also don't like ) to assist our Kurdish friends in their struggle against a NATO ally ,,,,,,,,,,, "

So basically, for the sake of Trump just leaving a small amount of US troops on the Turkish/Syria border, we could be heading for a, NATO Turkey confronting Kurdish/Syria backed by Russia, proxy war,?

Bristol East

Syria, with Iranian support, is said to be mobilising its forces to take on the Turks in the north.

Syria's territorial integrity is being compromised by the Turks.

The Kurds have asked the Russians to attack the Turks, too.

Now, Turkey is a member of NATO.

If its troops are attacked, could that drag the rest of NATO into a conflict, on the basis that an attack on one member is an attack on all?

That's only happened once before, I believe, when the US invoked the relevant Treaty article after the 9/11 attacks.

"Syria, with Iranian support, is said to be mobilising its forces to take on the Turks in the north.

Syria's territorial integrity is being compromised by the Turks.

The Kurds have asked the Russians to attack the Turks, too.

Now, Turkey is a member of NATO.

If its troops are attacked, could that drag the rest of NATO into a conflict, on the basis that an attack on one member is an attack on all?

That's only happened once before, I believe, when the US invoked the relevant Treaty article after the 9/11 attacks.

"

. And with the potential of the Kurds , Syrian , Iranian and Russian forces pushing back Turkush troops to an extent when Turkey asks fellow NATO members ( uk ) for assistance , I wonder if we could call on any remaining British citizens still fighting for ISIS in Syria to help us out

Trump basically thinks the US is an island and too far from the Middle East to make any waves at home. He thinks Europe doesn’t pay its way in NATO and any fallout from his actions is Europe’s problem. 50% of US citizens appear to back him.

So... we can sleep at night?

Bristol East

"

. And with the potential of the Kurds , Syrian , Iranian and Russian forces pushing back Turkush troops to an extent when Turkey asks fellow NATO members ( uk ) for assistance , I wonder if we could call on any remaining British citizens still fighting for ISIS in Syria to help us out "

i heard on the BBC that British forces, operating beside the US forces, are also withdrawing from the border zone.

The Kurds have had to swallow their pride and ask Assad for help.

So now we have government forces moving in and reclaiming sovereign territory from the Kurds in order to keep out the Turks.

The same government forces that the US and UK spent years trying to topple, with their financial and military backing for nefarious jihadi groups.

Have you ever seen anything like it?

A complete morass.

Bristol East

And 800 detainees missing from an IS prison camp.

"And 800 detainees missing from an IS prison camp.

"

Well as they say....its good for business!

Trump and his mates in Lockheed, Raytheon, Colt....etc etc etc ad infinitum will be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect!

Bristol East

Three British orphans have turned up among those fleeing.

Thought to be the children of fanatics who went to IS.

Now being looked after by a charity trying to reconnect them with relatives in the UK.

I saw an interview with an aid worker who said it's a very difficult task - one, for example, can remember a grandparent in London but nothing more than that.

Bristol East

Chickens coming home to roost.

In more ways than one.

The UK, for domestic political reasons, washed it hands of UK citizens and effectively outsourced their detention to the Kurds.

Now Trump has washed his hands of the Kurds, who have more important things to worry about now than the wellbeing of British citizens unloved by their own country.

By *Man1263Man  over a year ago

Stockport

When should the US (and ourselves and the French forces) leave Syria?

Has to happen sooner or later.

Never going to be an ideal time.

Should they stay 1 year?

10 years?

50 years?

"When should the US (and ourselves and the French forces) leave Syria?

Should they stay 1 year?

10 years?

50 years?

"

Well as Putin now has his longed for base in the Mediterranean thanks to assad it probably means never. I wonder if the rumour that Trump is a russian sleeper agent is possible?

By *Man1263Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Should they stay 1 year?

10 years?

50 years?

Well as Putin now has his longed for base in the Mediterranean thanks to assad it probably means never. I wonder if the rumour that Trump is a russian sleeper agent is possible? "

So they should never leave Syria?

And then what?

If Syria say's leave now, do you think the US should launch a full scale invasion?

Bristol East

Should they stay 1 year?

10 years?

50 years?

"

Well, Mr Trump says he alone is responsible for the 100% elimination of the caliphate.

That's why we were there. Wasn't it?

Bristol East

iTN really are laying into Trump in their extended coverage of Syria tonight.

I cannot recall hearing a British mainstream news broadcast so critical of Johnson's pal.

Bristol East

The leader of the largest military force in NATO (the USA) now says he will wage economic war against the second largest military force in NATO (Turkey).

Sanctions announced on Turkish officials and 50% tariffs on Turkish steel. Talks between the US and Turkey about a $100bn trade agreement suspended.

Trump is accusing Turkey of "possible war crimes".

"Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte," tweeted Trump.

The US has 50 free-fall nuclear weapons stored at air bases in Turkey.

Two allies dumped in the space of a few days - the Kurds and the Turks.

IS detainees on the loose, Erdogan threatening to dump 3.6m refugees on Europe.

NATO in chaos, the Russians given the green light to fill the vacuum.

Are there are any words left to describe this lunatic?

"The leader of the largest military force in NATO (the USA) now says he will wage economic war against the second largest military force in NATO (Turkey).

Sanctions announced on Turkish officials and 50% tariffs on Turkish steel. Talks between the US and Turkey about a $100bn trade agreement suspended.

Trump is accusing Turkey of "possible war crimes".

"Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte," tweeted Trump.

The US has 50 free-fall nuclear weapons stored at air bases in Turkey.

Two allies dumped in the space of a few days - the Kurds and the Turks.

"

Hence the question doing the rounds in the US state department as to whether Trump is demented, stupid or working to some other country’s agenda (there are rumours of Putin having some very powerful hold over him allegedly).

Whether you believe that or not, quite frankly, his foreign policy makes no sense to anybody in the US state department which is probably why no one stays for long. Personally I wonder if he is able to think in any great depth or for the long term, as his decisions all seem rash and taken in the moment. He is the most destabilising potus that I can remember and I do wonder about his mental health.

Bristol East

The Chinese have a saying:

"America First is America Alone"

Trump is smashing up all the alliances that have held the capitalist world together since 1945.

Friends become foes, and foes become friends.

America under Trump is retreating into naked self-interest, oblivious to the chaos that retreat leaves behind.

Undoubtedly, it creates space for Russian influence to expand.

The US backed the Syrian rebels in their fight against the Syrian government forces.

There was an image from a main road in Syria yesterday of US military vehicles going south, passing Syrian Army vehicles heading north, to take on the erstwhile US allies, the rebel forces.

Bizarre.

Bristol East

The rebel forces being the Turkish proxies taking on the Kurds.

borehamwood

"The Chinese have a saying:

"America First is America Alone"

Trump is smashing up all the alliances that have held the capitalist world together since 1945.

Friends become foes, and foes become friends.

America under Trump is retreating into naked self-interest, oblivious to the chaos that retreat leaves behind.

Undoubtedly, it creates space for Russian influence to expand.

The US backed the Syrian rebels in their fight against the Syrian government forces.

There was an image from a main road in Syria yesterday of US military vehicles going south, passing Syrian Army vehicles heading north, to take on the erstwhile US allies, the rebel forces.

Bizarre.

"

if he is smashing the alliances apart that hold the capitalist world together isnt that a good thing?? aint the left always telling everyone that capitalism is a bad thing.who knew it would be the usa that might destroy it.also america are allways told to stay out of other peoples countrys yet when they take the 50 odd special forces they had there everyone loses there shit about it

Bristol East

When you are up to your neck in a war zone, a unilateral pull-out, with no liaison with your erstwhile partners, no forward planning, no consolation.

Well, the outcome is simply a vacuum, filled with chaos.

Putin was right - we have moved from a bipolar world (that gave us the Cold War) through a unipolar world (that gave us Iraq) to a multipolar world (America Alone).

It took him a decade to install his man in the White House who would make it happen.

moston

"Two allies dumped in the space of a few days - the Kurds and the Turks.

"

Yep...

The Manchurian President. Just swap brainwashing in a POW camp (bone spurs made sure Donny Small Hands never had to serve) for billions of $ in payments for being a Russian money launderer.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Well Russia are now the policemen of the world now, a grave turn of events.

Bristol East

Have you seen the letter Trump wrote to Erdogan?

It defies description.

A complete brain-dump, Twitter-style, unedited by diplomats.

And did you hear Trump, whose "great wisdom is unmatched", declare his actions in Syria are "brilliant"?

moston

"Have you seen the letter Trump wrote to Erdogan?

It defies description.

A complete brain-dump, Twitter-style, unedited by diplomats.

And did you hear Trump, whose "great wisdom is unmatched", declare his actions in Syria are "brilliant"?

"

They have been brilliant. His boss is about to become (if he hasn't already) the worlds policeman and power-broker and he (Trump) has half the US political class defending him while he openly commits treason in the Oval Office.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I think it's a bad decision but not a surprising one given the USA track record of pulling out of unpopular foreign wars. It's similar to their withdrawal from South Vietnam

Bristol East

News from Syria:

"Our forces, in accordance with the ceasefire agreement announced yesterday, have gone into defensive position in all contact lines including the areas under Turkish occupation as of 22:00 local time on October 17th.

"Although the the attacks on Serêkaniyê front and its countryside has been partially slowed down by aggressors, artillery and drone attacks and harassment fire by Turkish-supported groups continued.

"13 of our fighters and 5 civilians were martyred due to the attacks by Turkey in Serêkaniyê and surrounding civilian settlements since 22:00 yesterday.

"We urge all sides who took part in the cease fire decision and agreed to the deal to act according to the terms of the agreement. We reiterate that we will not refrain from using our right to legitimate self defense in case of any attack by Turkish-backed militias."

Kino Gabriel - SDF spokesperson

October 18th, 2019

Bristol East

* Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF)

Bristol East

More:

(The very last para is interesting)

The balance sheet regarding the 10th day of fighting and resistance in Northern Syria

The attacks by the invading Turkish army continued without brake all along the border. Attacks with artillery-fire, tanks, heavy weapons and airstrikes continued non-stop. As legitimate selfe-defense, the SDF fighters retaliated all the attacks.

Derik

The invading army heavilly shelled the villages around Derik. Huge material damages were caused to the houses and properties of the civilian population. In retaliation, our fighters attacked the bases of the invading army in the villages of Qesir Dib, Hayaka, Wadi al-Ziyab and Shebaniye. As a result, 3 Turkish soldiers were killed and a further 1 soldier was injured.

Amude

On the Eluk axis, after the heavy clashes that took place, the invading army and their jihadist gangs retreated from the area. As a result of the shelling of Khereze village and the other areas along the border, one of our comrades were injured and huge material damages was caused to the properties of the population. Our forces gave proportionate retaliation to these attacks.

Ras Al Ain

In the city, the jihadists wanted to push through into the city under the protection of airstrikes and artillery fire. In the Newroz, Mehata, Zorava and Zerdesht neighbourhoods, close qurter combat took place between our forces and the jihadists.

All the attempted attacks were repelled by our forces. At least 70 jihadists were killed in those neighbourhoods. Despite their heavy bombardment and artillery fire, the invading army were not able to take themselves into the hospital in the city. After the resistance by our fighters, the attack on the hospital was foiled and at least 10 jihadists were killed. Despite the heavy attacks by the enemy, our forces did not pave way for the jihadists to enter the city. Large areas in the city were targeted with drones and warplanes. On the Menajir and Alya axis, heavy clashes took place. A large number of civilians were injured there due to intense shelling.

Tal Abyad

Our forces carried out effective attacks in retaliation in the village Abu Sira and the western areas of Tal Abyad and as a result, a number of jihadists were killed. An APC and a military vehicle were damaged and destroyed. In the villages Khilbet Yousif, Wabde and Tirwaziye, airstrikes and shelling was carried out. Those attacks targeted Syrian reigime forces. Our forces retaliated those attacks and destroyed an APC and a military vehicle in those vilalges. In the villages of Ain Issa, heavy clashes took place between our forces and the jihadists. In those areas, an airstrike by mistake targeted their own jihadists and a large number of them were killed as a result.

As a result of all the clashes and the resistance put up by our fighters, at least 93 Turkish-backed jihadists were killed and a large number of them were injrued. 4 armored vehicles, 4 military vehicles and a tank were destroyed.

9 of our comrades were martyred during the clashes and a further 41 of our comrades were injured.

The above mentioned results are regarding the clashes that took place before the ceasefire agreement agreed to by the General Command of the Syrian Democratic Forces. Despite the agreement, the attacks by Turkish army and their jihadist gangs continue on the axis of

Ras Al Ain.

SDF PRESS OFFICE

October 18th 2019

Justice for the Kurds

SOCIOPATH-

All Trump’s actions- every single one of them, from the lack of morals, chronic lying, self-promotion, rages, impetuous decisions with no forethought or care of consequences- are driven by this.

He seeks dictatorship, aggrandisement, power and vast wealth with no care whatsoever about who suffers/dies as a consequence. Thwart this and see the insane rages. The more threatened he feels, the more dangerous- to everybody in the world he becomes.

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

I don't know enough about what's going on, but I know better than just to take what the news tells us at face value, so will wait and be patient before forming a solid opinion.

But yesterday they reported that Erdogan has seemingly used chemical weapons. Something doesn't seem right about all this and I smell a rat. We'll see which way the facts lead when, either towards this or away from it.

Bristol East

Erdogan lead the procession through Sarajevo in July on National Genocide Day of Bosnia Herzgvina.

Ironic.

belfast/holywood

"... for any military organisation of any note ( of which the Turks are not)

That's overly dismissive of a military that brings more conventional firepower to the NATO table than the UK does.

Their capabilities are more significant than you imply - and their geography is why the Kurds are up shit creek.

It's long been the way of the US and the UK to say to their darker skinned allies, "Thanks for all your help; now fuck off."

This is just the latest example."

You have no idea what you are talking about. ( apart from the acknowledged fact that they have huge numbers in their forces ). But having a massive conscript force means zilch. I could take them all on with one armed behind my back , eating a peanut magnum in the other .

Ayr

"I could take them all on with one armed behind my back , eating a peanut magnum in the other . "

Says the man who knows what he's talking about.

You're not ironic, just ridiculous.

moston

"You have no idea what you are talking about. ( apart from the acknowledged fact that they have huge numbers in their forces ). But having a massive conscript force means zilch. I could take them all on with one armed behind my back , eating a peanut magnum in the other . "

Really?

Ah, it is you again.

Lets put this simply for you, force multipliers are important but a plane, tank or operator can only be in one place at a time and once their munitions are exhausted it does not matter where they are their of no military value.

moston

And now jump back and correct my their with they're...

Although no matter how well trained, or deployed a weapons system with no ammunition have less value than a minefield. (Minefields and the threat of minefields deny free movement.)

belfast/holywood

"I could take them all on with one armed behind my back , eating a peanut magnum in the other .

Says the man who knows what he's talking about.

You're not ironic, just ridiculous."

I know exactly what I’m talking about. It was my job for 33 years to know such matters intimately

belfast/holywood

"You have no idea what you are talking about. ( apart from the acknowledged fact that they have huge numbers in their forces ). But having a massive conscript force means zilch. I could take them all on with one armed behind my back , eating a peanut magnum in the other .

Really?

Ah, it is you again.

Lets put this simply for you, force multipliers are important but a plane, tank or operator can only be in one place at a time and once their munitions are exhausted it does not matter where they are their of no military value. "

What are on about Walt ?. Who said anything about running out of ammunition ?... you can have all the tanks and guns in the world with endless supply lines but if the people handling such weapons are dumb conscripts with pathetic training and the inability to shoot straight and practically zero experience of armed conflict ( turkeys record is hopeless), a professional trained army would run rings around them. Falklands anyone?

moston

[Removed by poster at 22/10/19 14:50:07]

moston

"What are on about Walt ?. Who said anything about running out of ammunition ?... you can have all the tanks and guns in the world with endless supply lines but if the people handling such weapons are dumb conscripts with pathetic training and the inability to shoot straight and practically zero experience of armed conflict ( turkeys record is hopeless), a professional trained army would run rings around them. Falklands anyone?"

You sure about that? You really sure about that? I guess you never studied Stalingrad because if you did you would not say something so patiently wrong.

Just to be clear in Stalingrad untrained Soviet conscripts firstly stopped, then fixed and finally annihilated the overwhelmingly superiorly trained, equipped and battle hardened German 6th Army. As I said, force multipliers are important but size is even more important, a ship, plane, tank or gun can only be in one place at a time and is less than useless when it can no longer function. Battles and wars are not one by teeth arms and spearhead units. They are won by logistics and supply trains. Guess that's another lesson you failed to learn (or forgot) in your 33 years.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Obama sent the troops in, they shouldnt have been there. It sucks for the kurds but the US no longer have any reason to be there.

Although the Kurds did help the west fight ISIS, it was Russia and Assad who defeated them. No one fought harder against ISIS than Assad, and no one fought for christian rights more than Assad.

Bristol East

Arab Spring.

When the west seeded the overthrow of regimes it did not like.

Syria was a step too far.

moston

"Arab Spring.

When the west seeded the overthrow of regimes it did not like.

Syria was a step too far."

Arab spring, when the West managed to undermine and ferment the overthrow of the hard-man regimes that were holding back and protecting the West from the mass of humanity that has been moving north for decades as a result of habitat destruction and regional destabilisation caused by unsustainable natural resource exploitation in central Africa driven by unregulated Western capitalist greed.

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Turkish governments enjoy a bit of genocide.

(But who are we Brits to talk!)

Bristol East

i follow the YPG on Facebook. The video clips of atrocities are appalling.

moston

"i follow the YPG on Facebook. The video clips of atrocities are appalling.

"

Yep, I also follow the PIC on faceache and it is a similar story in Gaza.

» Add a new message to this topic