FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Moros y chrisitanos.

Moros y chrisitanos.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Yesterday it was spains national day and I like it how they keep the tradition alive, what do you think of it and the history of it? They got spain back after 800 years.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

l'autodeterminacio no es delicte

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Got it back, where had it been?

"Got it back, where had it been?"
They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.

salisbury

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back."

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Many countries keep there customs and and traditions alive.They also respect there history and there passed.They are nationalist first then European.

This is what we should be but there are many here who think of themselves as Europeans.They critise are passed and look for the bad,not the good,do not feel any loyalty to the country that has given them so much.

As a nation we are slowly burying who we are.I hope that if and when we leave the EU it will return.

I admire and respect the way the Spanish keep there festivals and traditions even if some barbaric that still have a place in there national idendityLikewise French,Italian and many others we have lost the balance in this country.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back."
well the British played a big part driving them out.

salisbury

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.well the British played a big part driving them out."

That sounds interesting, do you have any references?

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? "

Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.

near ipswich

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.well the British played a big part driving them out.

That sounds interesting, do you have any references?"

sure theres a memorial in teba to sir james douglas who led the troops at bannockburn.He was taking robert the bruces heart to the holy lands and joined the king of spain to defeat the moors.To rally the troops when it looked like losing he threw the heart into the battle in which they then won.Its in Andalusia been a few times when driving to Ronda.

near ipswich

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back."

Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it."

I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there."

Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone

Bristol East

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.well the British played a big part driving them out.

That sounds interesting, do you have any references?sure theres a memorial in teba to sir james douglas who led the troops at bannockburn.He was taking robert the bruces heart to the holy lands and joined the king of spain to defeat the moors.To rally the troops when it looked like losing he threw the heart into the battle in which they then won.Its in Andalusia been a few times when driving to Ronda. "

The body minus the heart is buried beneath Dunfermline Abbey.

(Dunfermline was the capital before Edinburgh).

Are you saying the heart is still in Andalusia?

I thought it returned to Scotland and was in an abbey somewhere in the Borders.

Maybe that was someone else's heart lololol

near ipswich

That sounds interesting, do you have any references?sure theres a memorial in teba to sir james douglas who led the troops at bannockburn.He was taking robert the bruces heart to the holy lands and joined the king of spain to defeat the moors.To rally the troops when it looked like losing he threw the heart into the battle in which they then won.Its in Andalusia been a few times when driving to Ronda.

Maybe that was someone else's heart lololol"

No his heart was found in a siver casket after the battle think its now buried in melrose abbey and the douglas body was returned to the family.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Many countries keep there customs and and traditions alive.They also respect there history and there passed.They are nationalist first then European.

This is what we should be but there are many here who think of themselves as Europeans.They critise are passed and look for the bad,not the good,do not feel any loyalty to the country that has given them so much.

As a nation we are slowly burying who we are.I hope that if and when we leave the EU it will return.

I admire and respect the way the Spanish keep there festivals and traditions even if some barbaric that still have a place in there national idendityLikewise French,Italian and many others we have lost the balance in this country."

The difference for us is that for the last 2000 years we have been Europeans.

Roman's, Saxons, Vikings, Norman's, arguably the French under Henry VII as they assisted him with an army.. we have attracted invaders and settlers alike from much of Europe and being British is therefore I inherently to be "European"

Therefore we are embracing our past when we say we are European as that is exactly what we have been for most of our fully recorded history

near ipswich

[Removed by poster at 13/10/19 14:19:13]

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone "

Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?"

You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years."

You're lucky they didn't chase you away. brexshit can do it without a deal

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.

You're lucky they didn't chase you away. brexshit can do it without a deal "

What?

"Many countries keep there customs and and traditions alive.They also respect there history and there passed.They are nationalist first then European.

I admire and respect the way the Spanish keep there festivals and traditions even if some barbaric that still have a place in there national idendityLikewise French,Italian and many others we have lost the balance in this country."

How are we burying who we are?

What traditions do we now not do because we're in the EU that we used to do?

What identity have we lost?

How do we now not respect our history and why you think so?

Why is it bad if some people see themselves as European, I'm English first, then British then European, wwhy is that bad?

Lots and lots of empty words with no substance to it so it'd be good to know where you're coming from.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years."

As usual we have to agree to disagree.

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree."

What specifically are you disagreeing on?

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? "

That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?"

where have i said that then? of course they were i said the British helped drive them out of spain.

upton wirral

I admire and respect the way the Spanish keep there festivals and traditions even if some barbaric that still have a place in there national idendityLikewise French,Italian and many others we have lost the balance in this country.

The difference for us is that for the last 2000 years we have been Europeans.

Roman's, Saxons, Vikings, Norman's, arguably the French under Henry VII as they assisted him with an army.. we have attracted invaders and settlers alike from much of Europe and being British is therefore I inherently to be "European"

Therefore we are embracing our past when we say we are European as that is exactly what we have been for most of our fully recorded history"

True of al nations basically so not really valid.Look at the USA a very proud nation but most are Europeans

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?where have i said that then? of course they were i said the British helped drive them out of spain."

I see and that is good you didnt, there seem to have been an mix up as a forumiter earlier questioned it as I already know the history there.

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?where have i said that then? of course they were i said the British helped drive them out of spain.I see and that is good you didnt, there seem to have been an mix up as a forumiter earlier questioned it as I already know the history there."

No mix up i never said the moors were not in spain saw plenty of evidence when i lived there you said that i got it wrong so i suggest you google battle of teba 1330 and i will look for your apology later.

[Removed by poster at 13/10/19 15:52:23]

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?where have i said that then? of course they were i said the British helped drive them out of spain.I see and that is good you didnt, there seem to have been an mix up as a forumiter earlier questioned it as I already know the history there.No mix up i never said the moors were not in spain saw plenty of evidence when i lived there you said that i got it wrong so i suggest you google battle of teba 1330 and i will look for your apology later. "

No I didnt. I looked it up from the start here and you disagreed of my explination of what moros means, not that battle

near ipswich

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?where have i said that then? of course they were i said the British helped drive them out of spain.I see and that is good you didnt, there seem to have been an mix up as a forumiter earlier questioned it as I already know the history there.No mix up i never said the moors were not in spain saw plenty of evidence when i lived there you said that i got it wrong so i suggest you google battle of teba 1330 and i will look for your apology later. No I didnt. I looked it up from the start here and you disagreed of my explination of what moros means, not that battle "

why would i do that when i speak spanish and where did i say that?As i said at the beginning you just look to disagree for the sake of it because we are at different ends of the spectrum with brexit.This is the problem with a lot of posters on here myself i dont take it personal and discuss posts as i see them not just disagree because you dont like the posters views on brexit.So again i await your apology.

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Your spot on there Costa with your history and Robert the Bruce's heart, there was indeed a contingent of British knights that went to this crusade in the Spring of 1330 to drive back the moors.

I hope you get your apology.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back.Read up on your history mate instead of just disagreeing for the sake of it.I am not. I reckon you quoted the wrong perdon there.Yeah im sure the spanish got it wrong on the headstone Why dont you tell us your version of it there of what does moros y christiano mean and of what happened?You can read history books yourself i dont have a version im just pointing out the fact that the British helped drive the moors out of spain now if you dont believe that i suggest you read a few more history books or even better go live there for some years.As usual we have to agree to disagree.What specifically are you disagreeing on? That you seem to think they were not invaded by the moros and wasnt occupied about 800 years?where have i said that then? of course they were i said the British helped drive them out of spain.I see and that is good you didnt, there seem to have been an mix up as a forumiter earlier questioned it as I already know the history there.No mix up i never said the moors were not in spain saw plenty of evidence when i lived there you said that i got it wrong so i suggest you google battle of teba 1330 and i will look for your apology later. No I didnt. I looked it up from the start here and you disagreed of my explination of what moros means, not that battle why would i do that when i speak spanish and where did i say that?As i said at the beginning you just look to disagree for the sake of it because we are at different ends of the spectrum with brexit.This is the problem with a lot of posters on here myself i dont take it personal and discuss posts as i see them not just disagree because you dont like the posters views on brexit.So again i await your apology. "

I also speak spanish and where did I disagree with that? You have to quote that bit if I did it and what have this got to do with brexit, you seem to quote the wrong persons here as I havent mention it

near ipswich

"Your spot on there Costa with your history and Robert the Bruce's heart, there was indeed a contingent of British knights that went to this crusade in the Spring of 1330 to drive back the moors.

I hope you get your apology. "

Only knew about it because i used to stop off there for drink if i went Ronda love those little Andulician villages and their history.

Bristol East

"Your spot on there Costa with your history and Robert the Bruce's heart, there was indeed a contingent of British knights that went to this crusade in the Spring of 1330 to drive back the moors.

I hope you get your apology. "

British knights in 1330?

Er, no

Bristol East

That sounds interesting, do you have any references?sure theres a memorial in teba to sir james douglas who led the troops at bannockburn.He was taking robert the bruces heart to the holy lands and joined the king of spain to defeat the moors.To rally the troops when it looked like losing he threw the heart into the battle in which they then won.Its in Andalusia been a few times when driving to Ronda.

Maybe that was someone else's heart lolololNo his heart was found in a siver casket after the battle think its now buried in melrose abbey and the douglas body was returned to the family."

No, the body minus the heart is in a crypt beneath Dunfermline Abbey.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

That sounds interesting, do you have any references?sure theres a memorial in teba to sir james douglas who led the troops at bannockburn.He was taking robert the bruces heart to the holy lands and joined the king of spain to defeat the moors.To rally the troops when it looked like losing he threw the heart into the battle in which they then won.Its in Andalusia been a few times when driving to Ronda. "

"Big part"?

He was there with seven knights and twenty-six supporting troops.

He just died there.

Nothing wrong with getting involved but it does sound like just a little bit of engrandisement wouldn't you say?

Interesting footnote more appropriate.

However, that is your own filter on the world.

near ipswich

The body minus the heart is buried beneath Dunfermline Abbey.Yes because his friend cut it out to take it on the crusades so that he could be part of it.As i said im sure the heart was returned and buried beneath melrose abbey.

Maybe that was someone else's heart lolololNo his heart was found in a siver casket after the battle think its now buried in melrose abbey and the douglas body was returned to the family.

No, the body minus the heart is in a crypt beneath Dunfermline Abbey."

West London

"Yesterday it was spains national day and I like it how they keep the tradition alive, what do you think of it and the history of it? They got spain back after 800 years."

Traditions are sometimes good.

If they celebrate sexist or racist traditions then perhaps not.

It depends how they are celebrated and commemorated.

near ipswich

Maybe that was someone else's heart lolololNo his heart was found in a siver casket after the battle think its now buried in melrose abbey and the douglas body was returned to the family.

No, the body minus the heart is in a crypt beneath Dunfermline Abbey."

yes i know you said that,his friend cut it out and took it on the crusades with him.After i think you will find his heart was returned and buried under melrose abbey.

Bristol East

King Robert the Bruce is said to have died from leprosy.

Good Scottish export in those days

near ipswich

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Nothing wrong with getting involved but it does sound like just a little bit of engrandisement wouldn't you say?

However, that is your own filter on the world."

That was just one example for the person who ask.Another one just looking for a disagreement there are plenty more if you care to study the subject a bit or id there not enough racism in it for you?

Bristol East

"yes i know you said that,his friend cut it out and took it on the crusades with him.After i think you will find his heart was returned and buried under melrose abbey."

I thought you said there was a shrine in Andalusia where Robert the Bruce's heart was kept?

near ipswich

"yes i know you said that,his friend cut it out and took it on the crusades with him.After i think you will find his heart was returned and buried under melrose abbey.

I thought you said there was a shrine in Andalusia where Robert the Bruce's heart was kept?"

no i didnt say that at all.you need to re read the posts.

Bristol East

Probably.

Vino tinto, senor

Bristol East

Imagine how manky it must've been.

No fridges in those days.

20 days on a horse, Scotland to Andulusia?

It'd be feckin' honkin'

near ipswich

"Probably.

Vino tinto, senor

"

muy barracho. vale.

Bristol East

Google translate is my best friend on occasions like this

Bristol East

solo un travesti feliz

near ipswich

"Google translate is my best friend on occasions like this"
you have to be careful with it though 1 letter wrong and you can end up with something very different eg barracho = d*unk barrato = cheap.

Bristol East

Tengo muchas ganas de recibir a un señor en mi casa en 10 minutos, así que estoy muy emocionado

upton wirral

"Google translate is my best friend on occasions like this"
Thought you could speak Spanish oh what a give away lol.This is an English site!!

Bristol East

Puedo pedir una copa de vino tinto. Y una taza de café. Después de eso, estoy jodido

West London

"Big part"?

He just died there.

However, that is your own filter on the world.That was just one example for the person who ask.Another one just looking for a disagreement there are plenty more if you care to study the subject a bit or id there not enough racism in it for you?"

First: this one event is being presented by you as a "big part" in defeating the Moors. One battle.

Second; the only sources of him having a decisive role are British and written long after the event.

Third; the monument was paid for and erected by his descendents, not "grateful" Spaniards.

Have a look see.

As I stated, interesting footnote.

What has racism to do with anything?

near ipswich

"Big part"?

He just died there.

However, that is your own filter on the world.That was just one example for the person who ask.Another one just looking for a disagreement there are plenty more if you care to study the subject a bit or id there not enough racism in it for you?

First: this one event is being presented by you as a "big part" in defeating the Moors. One battle.

Second; the only sources of him having a decisive role are British and written long after the event.

Third; the monument was paid for and erected by his descendents, not "grateful" Spaniards.

Have a look see.

What has racism to do with anything?"

wrong my 1st comment on "big part" is in reference to the british Christians who went over there when called apon by the pope.

the second post was in response to someone asking if i had any info as i remembered the story i retold it imagine it as a paragraph in a book if you are really finding it that hard to understand.

where did i ever say it was erected by grateful Spaniards? i said they erected a memorial to it.Do not try to twist my words as it is easy to scroll back and re read what is written and it makes you look like you are just disagreeing for the sake of it.

"Big part"?

He just died there.

However, that is your own filter on the world.That was just one example for the person who ask.Another one just looking for a disagreement there are plenty more if you care to study the subject a bit or id there not enough racism in it for you?

Have a look see.

What has racism to do with anything?wrong my 1st comment on "big part" is in reference to the british Christians who went over there when called apon by the pope.

the second post was in response to someone asking if i had any info as i remembered the story i retold it imagine it as a paragraph in a book if you are really finding it that hard to understand.

where did i ever say it was erected by grateful Spaniards? i said they erected a memorial to it.Do not try to twist my words as it is easy to scroll back and re read what is written and it makes you look like you are just disagreeing for the sake of it.

"

Please can you correctyour statement

Roman Catholics went there

Not Christians , a christian is a believer in Christ,

A Roman Catholic is a believer in something far more

Expansive .

salisbury

This thread is fab gold!

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Got it back, where had it been?They got invaded by the moros and they occupied it for 800 years, spain won it back.well the British played a big part driving them out."

How did the British play a big part in driving them out? 800 years of Moorish occupation and a handful of Brits at the end played a “big” part in the Re-Christianisation of Spain?

I get it that you want to see the glorious Brits as being heroic and responsible for good things historically (and we were), but it is a stretch to suggest that official U.K. policy was somehow responsible for the end of the 800 year Moorish Empire.

Bristol East

Spain was part of the Caliphate, wasn't it?

Or at least part of it was.

(Caliphate in the benign sense, not the IS sense. A precursor of the Ottoman Empire)

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

"This thread is fab gold! "

Indeed it is!

How did the British play a big part in driving them out? 800 years of Moorish occupation and a handful of Brits at the end played a “big” part in the Re-Christianisation of Spain?

I get it that you want to see the glorious Brits as being heroic and responsible for good things historically (and we were), but it is a stretch to suggest that official U.K. policy was somehow responsible for the end of the 800 year Moorish Empire."

That is right, some want to think it was the british whilst it wasnt

Did "British "

exist before the act of union (1700)

Historically speaking of course

"This thread is fab gold! "
Yes it sure is that too.

Sometimes they play the exodus tune on the parades it is a good tune too, it is played with a real passion and you can feel the vibes as you almost was there at that era they got spain back

near ipswich

I get it that you want to see the glorious Brits as being heroic and responsible for good things historically (and we were), but it is a stretch to suggest that official U.K. policy was somehow responsible for the end of the 800 year Moorish Empire."

who said anything about uk official policy? it was all part of the holy wars that lasted centuries.kings of England had been fighting holy wars for over 100 years before spain was finally christian,it was nothing to do brits being "heroic and responsible for good things" and cant for the life of me see where that was ever posted.In fact it was quiet convenient for them being in spain as they didnt have to travel all the way to the holy lands to try and wipe them out.Religion has a lot to answer for as it is still going on today.

West London

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

What has racism to do with anything?wrong my 1st comment on "big part" is in reference to the british Christians who went over there when called apon by the pope.

"

The "British Christians" whom you didn't actually mention even if that was your intent. We cannot read your mind.

How many? What did they actually do? One vaguely respectable source would be good. Just sounds like made up history.

That is exactly the point being made about the memorial. It is not the history of the Spanish. It is history as Sir James Douglas' descendents choose to remember it, true or not.

I haven't "twisted" anything. Such a common phrase when nonsense is being called out. This is just choosing to interpret history in a way that is favourable to the writer.

The story is an interesting footnote and is not evidence of anything substantive.

The biggest thing that real historians actually learn is to separate what is verifiable from what is legend, story and what is recorded due to various biases both at the time and since.

Again- what has racism got to do with anything?

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

I always thought that Charlton Heston drove the Moors out of Spain.

West London

"I always thought that Charlton Heston drove the Moors out of Spain. "

Only after he died. The horse was the real hero

near ipswich

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

The "British Christians" whom you didn't actually mention even if that was your intent. We cannot read your mind.

How many? What did they actually do? One vaguely respectable source would be good. Just sounds like made up history.

That is exactly the point being made about the memorial. It is not the history of the Spanish. It is history as Sir James Douglas' descendents choose to remember it, true or not.

I haven't "twisted" anything. Such a common phrase when nonsense is being called out. This is just choosing to interpret history in a way that is favourable to the writer.

The story is an interesting footnote and is not evidence of anything substantive.

The biggest thing that real historians actually learn is to separate what is verifiable from what is legend, story and what is recorded due to various biases both at the time and since.

Again- what has racism got to do with anything?"

its your favourite subject and you have not been able to bring it into this convo so thought i would give you a hand. I know you cant read minds but you are capable of asking who exactly do you mean and at the end of the day yes you can disagree with someone by saying its history and its always written by the winners and there are no eye witnesses left no one can argue with that and a very good way of saying i am right.

West London

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

Again- what has racism got to do with anything?its your favourite subject and you have not been able to bring it into this convo so thought i would give you a hand. I know you cant read minds but you are capable of asking who exactly do you mean and at the end of the day yes you can disagree with someone by saying its history and its always written by the winners and there are no eye witnesses left no one can argue with that and a very good way of saying i am right. "

Racism is not my "favourite subject" bit it is an important one along with many other things. Something that you are unable to engage with as it is apparently not "your" problem just like climate change and a myriad other things.

Say anything and demand to be proven wrong even after all the errors in your argument have been pointed out.

What a childish debating strategy.

That is sadly why politics is where it is.

near ipswich

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

Again- what has racism got to do with anything?its your favourite subject and you have not been able to bring it into this convo so thought i would give you a hand. I know you cant read minds but you are capable of asking who exactly do you mean and at the end of the day yes you can disagree with someone by saying its history and its always written by the winners and there are no eye witnesses left no one can argue with that and a very good way of saying i am right.

Racism is not my "favourite subject" bit it is an important one along with many other things. Something that you are unable to engage with as it is apparently not "your" problem just like climate change and a myriad other things.

Say anything and demand to be proven wrong even after all the errors in your argument have been pointed out.

That is sadly why politics is where it is."

you have not proven anything all you have said is you believe its myth and not fact.i suppose in a few years when no one is alive to remember it you could wipe from history that the polish played a big part in the battle of britain going by your way of thinking.I am convinced you dont actually believe half the crap you write on here and if someone gave you a cup of tea you would swear its coffee.You typify what brexit has done to people on social media rational thoughts go right out the window and to disagree over anything and everything for the sake of it.

West London

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

Again- what has racism got to do with anything?its your favourite subject and you have not been able to bring it into this convo so thought i would give you a hand. I know you cant read minds but you are capable of asking who exactly do you mean and at the end of the day yes you can disagree with someone by saying its history and its always written by the winners and there are no eye witnesses left no one can argue with that and a very good way of saying i am right.

That is sadly why politics is where it is.you have not proven anything all you have said is you believe its myth and not fact.i suppose in a few years when no one is alive to remember it you could wipe from history that the polish played a big part in the battle of britain going by your way of thinking.I am convinced you dont actually believe half the crap you write on here and if someone gave you a cup of tea you would swear its coffee.You typify what brexit has done to people on social media rational thoughts go right out the window and to disagree over anything and everything for the sake of it. "

Do I have to disprove what you are convinced of about me too?

I disagree with things that are hugely biased or the repetition of soundbites and unverified assertion.

That is what you have done in this instance isn't it?

Your contribution is an interesting footnote. Nothing more. That is true isn't it?

near ipswich

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

That is sadly why politics is where it is.you have not proven anything all you have said is you believe its myth and not fact.i suppose in a few years when no one is alive to remember it you could wipe from history that the polish played a big part in the battle of britain going by your way of thinking.I am convinced you dont actually believe half the crap you write on here and if someone gave you a cup of tea you would swear its coffee.You typify what brexit has done to people on social media rational thoughts go right out the window and to disagree over anything and everything for the sake of it.

I disagree with things that are hugely biased or the repetition of soundbites and unverified assertion.

Your contribution is an interesting footnote. Nothing more. That is true isn't it?"

no someone ask if i had any references to it i quoted ONE there are plenty more out there you only have look.I am not going to post the complete history of spain as said on here many times google is your friend and its not up to me to educate you im not a teacher do your homework.If you believe that the battle of teba is not true there is nothing i can do to change that as no i cant prove it happened no more than i can prove the battle of hastings happened.

West London

"Big part"?

He just died there.

Have a look see.

That is sadly why politics is where it is.you have not proven anything all you have said is you believe its myth and not fact.i suppose in a few years when no one is alive to remember it you could wipe from history that the polish played a big part in the battle of britain going by your way of thinking.I am convinced you dont actually believe half the crap you write on here and if someone gave you a cup of tea you would swear its coffee.You typify what brexit has done to people on social media rational thoughts go right out the window and to disagree over anything and everything for the sake of it.

Your contribution is an interesting footnote. Nothing more. That is true isn't it?no someone ask if i had any references to it i quoted ONE there are plenty more out there you only have look.I am not going to post the complete history of spain as said on here many times google is your friend and its not up to me to educate you im not a teacher do your homework.If you believe that the battle of teba is not true there is nothing i can do to change that as no i cant prove it happened no more than i can prove the battle of hastings happened. "

There are not "plenty of references".

You are aware of one told by the descendents of this man, not by the Spanish.

You posted it, which is fine but that does not translate to a "big part" in any way, even if there was more.

I didn't question that the battle happened or that he took part.

All I have said is that it is unverified and is no more than an interesting footnote.

Is that incorrect?

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Think we need to create a history forum.

near ipswich

"Think we need to create a history forum.

"

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I always thought that Charlton Heston drove the Moors out of Spain. "

This absolutely. And Sophia Loren trying to constantly have him killed of, despite the fact she loved him, because he killed her father. And that awful King who had his brother stabbed to death round the back of the castle.

Don't remember anything about Robert the Bruce or any other jock for that matter; must have missed that bit!!

near ipswich

"I always thought that Charlton Heston drove the Moors out of Spain.

This absolutely. And Sophia Loren trying to constantly have him killed of, despite the fact she loved him, because he killed her father. And that awful King who had his brother stabbed to death round the back of the castle.

Don't remember anything about Robert the Bruce or any other jock for that matter; must have missed that bit!!"

Different battle mate and about 300 years before robert the bruce as i said before swat up on your history before posting as it makes you look silly.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I always thought that Charlton Heston drove the Moors out of Spain.

Don't remember anything about Robert the Bruce or any other jock for that matter; must have missed that bit!!Different battle mate and about 300 years before robert the bruce as i said before swat up on your history before posting as it makes you look silly."

Not taking this thread seriously makes ME look silly? Ok!

Bristol East

"

"History is written by the victors"

- Winston Churchill

West London

- Winston Churchill

"

Except the Castillo and (Spanish) were the victors and the British weren't in their history of that period

West London

- Winston Churchill

Except the Castillo and (Spanish) were the victors and the British weren't in their history of that period "

Castillians*

The golden age when Jews Christians and Muslims lived in relative harmony while the rest of Europe shredded each other to pieces.

By *iltsguy200Man  over a year ago

Warminster

[Removed by poster at 14/10/19 16:22:37]

near ipswich

"The golden age when Jews Christians and Muslims lived in relative harmony while the rest of Europe shredded each other to pieces."
very true bob in fact the moors probably have more claim to gibraltar than the spanish do.

By *iltsguy200Man  over a year ago

Warminster

The Battle of Teba was not decisive. While Teba remained secure in Castilian hands, the Guadalteba and Turon valleys continued to be debatable land for the next hundred and fifty years.

However, in response to Alfonso XI's victories of 1327–1330, the Marinid sultan of Morocco Abu Hasan sent forces in support of Muhammad IV to re-establish control of the Straits. Gibraltar was re-captured from the Christians in 1333 but Abu Hasan's attempt to re-take Tarifa in 1340 led to his disastrous defeat by allied Christian forces at Rio Salado. This was the last intervention by North African powers in the defence of Muslim Granada.

On January 2, 1492, King Boabdil surrendered Granada to the Spanish forces, and in 1502 the Spanish crown ordered all Muslims forcibly converted to Christianity. The next century saw a number of persecutions, and in 1609 the last Moors still adhering to Islam were expelled from Spain.

Hispanic Day (Día de la Hispanidad) or National Day (Fiesta Nacional de España) is an annual national public holiday in Spain on October 12. It commemorates when Christopher Columbus first set foot in the Americas in 1492.

I presume that a copy n paste job

By *eal_curves_is_backWoman  over a year ago

London

I thought this would be about Cuban food!

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

A big part? Utter nonsense. They played a minor part, at best, in a campaign that lasted centuries.

British? Born on the island is as far as that claim goes.

Sir James Douglas? A man known to have a pathological hatred of the English; it's highly unlikely he considered himself as British.

He went to fight the Moors to keep a promise to his former King - and because he was a good Catholic, answering the Pope's call to arms.

You're claiming credit for Britain that it doesn't deserve. Which, for you, is no surprise.

Who are the Moros? Did they win it back in a competition? Moros mean muslim in spanish and no the spanish won their country back."

I'm pretty sure it means "Moors" Not Muslims. Which refers to the caliphate that ruled over Spain during that time.

I'm not sure Spain won it back, more a new generation of people invaded an Empire and created a few Kingdoms in its wake.

Prior to this period weren't they all Roman/Celt/Carthaginian mix of people dependant on the region of Spain you're on about. Didnt the collapse of the Western Roman Empire just leave a power vacuum for the Moors to fill?

I used to live in Al Andalus (Andalucia) for 10yrs. That's how it was explained to my by the keen amateur Spanish and English historians I met out there. How it seems to tally up timeline-wise, though I'm admittedly shit at numbers.

» Add a new message to this topic