FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit....

Brexit....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondCougar OP   Woman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

And so the debate and confusion rolls on...

I’m dismayed (as are most) that this hideously abhorrent debacle, is being played out across the world making a complete mockery of our political system. I’m not typically a political person but I have watched the proceedings today with interest.... and utter disgust. A vicious circle of political jargon and argument between adults whom we place (placed!) our trust.

The only thing I’ve gained from today’s BBC News broadcasts are

Legal Exegesis - fantastic phrase!

And a tweet I saw ....

It is attempting to solve the Gordian Knot without the use of Alexander's sword which served only to Divide. Leaving each of us with half a rope .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"And so the debate and confusion rolls on...

I’m dismayed (as are most) that this hideously abhorrent debacle, is being played out across the world making a complete mockery of our political system. I’m not typically a political person but I have watched the proceedings today with interest.... and utter disgust. A vicious circle of political jargon and argument between adults whom we place (placed!) our trust.

And a tweet I saw ....

It is attempting to solve the Gordian Knot without the use of Alexander's sword which served only to Divide. Leaving each of us with half a rope .

"

Great quote. Love it.

Sadly it's impossible to have a dialogue about the issue. It's so divisive. Everyone is polarised and angry and feels like they're gonna be or are being betrayed...

Unfortunately the we are the laughing stock of the world ! I blame labour because we could have the sweetest deal ever and they would vote it down ! Party politics

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

The pantomime continues!

I've enjoyed the shenanigans immensely. Omnishambles it is and was always going to be , any one who thought differently lived in the land of the cloud cuckoos

And a tweet I saw ....

Great quote. Love it.

Sadly it's impossible to have a dialogue about the issue. It's so divisive. Everyone is polarised and angry and feels like they're gonna be or are being betrayed... "

Gonna have to start talking soon.....

And a tweet I saw ....

Great quote. Love it.

Sadly it's impossible to have a dialogue about the issue. It's so divisive. Everyone is polarised and angry and feels like they're gonna be or are being betrayed...

Gonna have to start talking soon....."

I bloody hope so

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I think Brexit brought to the fore a lot of internal divisions of this political union that were only increased with successive government's incompetency (both labour and conservative). The past 30 years have seen a gradual decline of living standards and disposable income that now affect a disproportionately high number of people...regardless where in the UK you go. I've lived in this wonderful place for 5 years and worked in England, Scotland and Wales. To say I was shocked at the levels of poverty...both blatant and hidden is an understatement. If so many people weren't struggling; particularly in post industrial regions the vote could have gone differently.

I think the writing is on the wall and the political union that's existed for 300 years has its days numbered....

"Unfortunately the we are the laughing stock of the world ! I blame labour because we could have the sweetest deal ever and they would vote it down ! Party politics "

Nope we had the best deal before Cameron did what he did

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

"I think Brexit brought to the fore a lot of internal divisions of this political union that were only increased with successive government's incompetency (both labour and conservative). The past 30 years have seen a gradual decline of living standards and disposable income that now affect a disproportionately high number of people...regardless where in the UK you go. I've lived in this wonderful place for 5 years and worked in England, Scotland and Wales. To say I was shocked at the levels of poverty...both blatant and hidden is an understatement. If so many people weren't struggling; particularly in post industrial regions the vote could have gone differently.

I think the writing is on the wall and the political union that's existed for 300 years has its days numbered...."

It didn't help that all our issues, caused by our own politicians, were blamed on the EU. Small wonder people then think leaving it will do wonders for the country.

By *iamondCougar OP   Woman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Good debate....

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"Unfortunately the we are the laughing stock of the world ! I blame labour because we could have the sweetest deal ever and they would vote it down ! Party politics "

No, this isn't true. Labour would have voted for a soft Brexit deal. Many Remainers, myself included, would have accepted a soft Brexit.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

one thing brexit has done is fuck. the main parties nxt GE unfortunatley think u are gona see some very nasty individuals mopping up votes in areas where m.ps have screwed there voters.peeps think labour are far left and the torys are far right there are some frightening people from the left and right getting ready to take advantage of peoples disconnect from the big parties

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Unfortunately the we are the laughing stock of the world ! I blame labour because we could have the sweetest deal ever and they would vote it down ! Party politics

No, this isn't true. Labour would have voted for a soft Brexit deal. Many Remainers, myself included, would have accepted a soft Brexit."

when you say many remainers would of accepted it can I ask when you voted in the referendom were yo thinking back then if the vote doesn’t go the way I want it to go I’m not accepting it if so why did you bother voteing ?

London

"Unfortunately the we are the laughing stock of the world ! I blame labour because we could have the sweetest deal ever and they would vote it down ! Party politics

No, this isn't true. Labour would have voted for a soft Brexit deal. Many Remainers, myself included, would have accepted a soft Brexit.when you say many remainers would of accepted it can I ask when you voted in the referendom were yo thinking back then if the vote doesn’t go the way I want it to go I’m not accepting it if so why did you bother voteing ?"

People disagree with the outcomes of votes all the time.

If Corbyn won the next election, you wouldn't suddenly think whatever policies he introduced were ok just because he'd won a democratic vote.

I don't favour cancelling Brexit outright, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with offering another vote to the people.

thornaby

And if we have another vote will remainers accept that if it goes against them ? I doubt it very much so what is the point of a vote if ppl arnt going to accept the result absolutely no point at all

London

"And if we have another vote will remainers accept that if it goes against them ? I doubt it very much so what is the point of a vote if ppl arnt going to accept the result absolutely no point at all "

I imagine a 2nd referendum would be binding, rather than advisory, and that a vote for Johnson's deal would see it go through automatically.

That would be the practical side. If you're asking that people stop saying Brexit is a bad idea, and "pull together" or whatever, then that's never going to happen. It's not how democracy works. I refer you to my Corbyn as PM example.

thornaby

"And if we have another vote will remainers accept that if it goes against them ? I doubt it very much so what is the point of a vote if ppl arnt going to accept the result absolutely no point at all

I imagine a 2nd referendum would be binding, rather than advisory, and that a vote for Johnson's deal would see it go through automatically.

That would be the practical side. If you're asking that people stop saying Brexit is a bad idea, and "pull together" or whatever, then that's never going to happen. It's not how democracy works. I refer you to my Corbyn as PM example. "

aw so you think if a second vote went your way ppl would come together then or even a wider split in the country ? I think the divid would be bigger more resentful and unnhealable price worth paying eh

London

"And if we have another vote will remainers accept that if it goes against them ? I doubt it very much so what is the point of a vote if ppl arnt going to accept the result absolutely no point at all

That would be the practical side. If you're asking that people stop saying Brexit is a bad idea, and "pull together" or whatever, then that's never going to happen. It's not how democracy works. I refer you to my Corbyn as PM example. aw so you think if a second vote went your way ppl would come together then or even a wider split in the country ? I think the divid would be bigger more resentful and unnhealable price worth paying eh "

No. I don't think there is a way to bring people together on this. There might have been 3 years ago, but not anymore. May threw away any chance of compromise with her stupid 'red lines'.

But yes, I think that pissing off Brexiters is a price worth paying to stop Brexit.

Just as you think that pissing off Remainers is worth it to get Brexit.

Yes let's go for another vote, and if remain win all the leavers will just say fair play cancel Brexit. Well of course they will because remainers all said we lost so let's leave now.

FFS get real a second vote would rip this country apart.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

The greatest deal ever is the one that we have.

A consensus could have been reached if the Conservatives actually thought to talk to the other half of the country, and the other parties about what might work.

They didn't.

Corbyn is also a numpty with his half-arsed position.

We screwed ourselves as a country.

We have to stop blaming everyone else eventually.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

who won?

West London

And a tweet I saw ....

"

We didn't decide what we wanted when we started.

It can't really be a surprise that we are where we are. Parliament represents the entire population. As it should.

I don't understand why their should be any expectation that it can find a miraculous solution to an intractable problem.

If we remain, nothing changes with our relationship with the EU and our economic relationship with the rest of the world. That's generally quite simple to deal with.

Are we going to solve our domestic concerns whilst renegotiating every international relationship that we have. Hmmm

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

First off all, understand where I come from and I dont' mean to offend anyone.

Brexit is English Nationalism weaponised and used against the UK. This time the fight is within. The belief in English exceptionalism, that Brittania will rule the waves once more, that empire 2.0 is within reach and there for the taking.

Instead it is fracturing and dividing the UK. It has become so bitter and hateful. Someone said to that UK politics sounds like ulster politics. Facts don't matter any more. Cameron was an arrogant short sighted fool for letting that genie out. It was a stupid decision to let the general public decide, they didn't bloody know what they were voting for and since then it's only got worse with no end in sight.

It has made for strange alliances with decency, respect and standing up for democratic principles coming from the most unexpected people. And the opposite is also true, the political opportunism is shameful. Thanks to Brexit, the UK is much more familiar with the DUP, whereas before this they had only known of Sinn Fein. I don't see any winning in this. Even if there is a second referendum and there is an outright clear victory, its still going to time to heal

But all that aside I hope everyone can agree John Bercow has great taste in ties and Heidi Allen is a stone cold fox.

thornaby

Ffs I thought all the loonies were protesting outside parliment lol

By *tsallthesame77Woman  over a year ago

edinburgh

It’s a shambles and it’ll continue to be so thing has been a farce since ever Cameron announced the referendum.

Boris is winding down the clock his end game is no deal and crash out on 31st

Trump want to destroy Europe through the liquidation of the EU. Donald Trump said: 'I have been very critical about the way the UK and Prime Minister Theresa May handled Brexit. What a mess she and her representatives have created. I told her how it should be done, but she decided to go another way. " So Teresa May had ready orders from boss Trump. We will not let the US destroy Europe as it destroys the Middle East

By *avagliamMan  over a year ago

London

"It’s a shambles and it’ll continue to be so thing has been a farce since ever Cameron announced the referendum.

Boris is winding down the clock his end game is no deal and crash out on 31st "

Will he manage to crash out? He and and his cronies?... The US is obviously ordering him to do so... How can he get it done?

By *tsallthesame77Woman  over a year ago

edinburgh

"It’s a shambles and it’ll continue to be so thing has been a farce since ever Cameron announced the referendum.

Will he manage to crash out? He and and his cronies?... The US is obviously ordering him to do so... How can he get it done?"

The third letter sent by him and signed by him basically saying to the EU first letter was sent because I had to by law but I don’t want an extension we are leaving on 31st like it or not

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"And if we have another vote will remainers accept that if it goes against them ? I doubt it very much so what is the point of a vote if ppl arnt going to accept the result absolutely no point at all "

Democracy isn't something that just happens once, with opinion frozen in time - it's a dynamic, fluid process, where our representative democracy has MPs in place to represent the needs of country and its citizens.

When the advisory referendum incorporated illegal activities and lies, with the public now explaining how they didn't understand the implications of the complexity of it, it's reasonable to conclude that parliamentary sovereignty is a fortunate asset, potentially helping to avoid catastrophes. Out of 74 polls this year, only 1 didn't have a majority of the population wanting to remain in the EU. The public are now better informed and understand that the deals available do not give them what they need.

A 2nd referendum is not needed what needs to be done is to cancel brexit altogether

"A 2nd referendum is not needed what needs to be done is to cancel brexit altogether "
how very democratic of you, just totally ignore one of the biggest votes in recent history

"A 2nd referendum is not needed what needs to be done is to cancel brexit altogether how very democratic of you, just totally ignore one of the biggest votes in recent history "
The biggest mistake in history I would say, they didnt spend 5 min thinking of the consequences tho, such as the economical impact and as well what will happen to northern irelands and the good friday agreement.

Derry

" what will happen to northern irelands and the good friday agreement."

There was an article on the BBC website last week saying , the remain campaign did bring it up but it was dismissed with magic thinking from leavers. The editor of the daily mirror also said that people didn't want to know. Immigration and the magic bus were the issues that concerned voters

Bristol East

Yes, Blair and Major twice went to Belfast to urge voters not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

Why haven't we negotiated the sweetest deal ever? Oh, I can answer that! We already have that deal by being members of the EU.

By *entish79Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Will he manage to crash out? He and and his cronies?... The US is obviously ordering him to do so... How can he get it done?

The third letter sent by him and signed by him basically saying to the EU first letter was sent because I had to by law but I don’t want an extension we are leaving on 31st like it or not "

There are unconfirmed reports of a fourth letter, which simply read:

“Hello. My name is Boris, and I am five years old.”

Glasgow

Why haven't we negotiated the sweetest deal ever? Oh, I can answer that! We already have that deal by being members of the EU. "

It’s weird isn’t it? Was it Liam Fox who said it would be the easiest deal in history to make?

"who won?"

No one's won in my opinion. We've all lost

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"A 2nd referendum is not needed what needs to be done is to cancel brexit altogether how very democratic of you, just totally ignore one of the biggest votes in recent history "

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It was an advisory referendum. Plus if we're talking about ignoring referendum results, why are the 17.3 million (100k more than opinioned Brexit), who voted to join the EEC being ignored? Oh and before anybody comes back with the usual twaddle about that was only to join a trade bloc, do some research. The founding principles have always to been to get the benefits of closer political, trade and security relations (and that does not mean a federal state or EU army for you paranoid Brexiteers).

"A 2nd referendum is not needed what needs to be done is to cancel brexit altogether how very democratic of you, just totally ignore one of the biggest votes in recent history

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It was an advisory referendum. Plus if we're talking about ignoring referendum results, why are the 17.3 million (100k more than opinioned Brexit), who voted to join the EEC being ignored? Oh and before anybody comes back with the usual twaddle about that was only to join a trade bloc, do some research. The founding principles have always to been to get the benefits of closer political, trade and security relations (and that does not mean a federal state or EU army for you paranoid Brexiteers)."

lot of people who had the referendum on joining the EEC say they were never informed properly what they were joining, although I cant state if this was true or not as I was not old enough to vote in that referendum just like most people on here, urself included I suspect.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"A 2nd referendum is not needed what needs to be done is to cancel brexit altogether how very democratic of you, just totally ignore one of the biggest votes in recent history

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It was an advisory referendum. Plus if we're talking about ignoring referendum results, why are the 17.3 million (100k more than opinioned Brexit), who voted to join the EEC being ignored? Oh and before anybody comes back with the usual twaddle about that was only to join a trade bloc, do some research. The founding principles have always to been to get the benefits of closer political, trade and security relations (and that does not mean a federal state or EU army for you paranoid Brexiteers). lot of people who had the referendum on joining the EEC say they were never informed properly what they were joining, although I cant state if this was true or not as I was not old enough to vote in that referendum just like most people on here, urself included I suspect."

We would have to go back to research archive materials, so that we don't try to rely on hearsay and anecdotes

West London

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It was an advisory referendum. Plus if we're talking about ignoring referendum results, why are the 17.3 million (100k more than opinioned Brexit), who voted to join the EEC being ignored? Oh and before anybody comes back with the usual twaddle about that was only to join a trade bloc, do some research. The founding principles have always to been to get the benefits of closer political, trade and security relations (and that does not mean a federal state or EU army for you paranoid Brexiteers). lot of people who had the referendum on joining the EEC say they were never informed properly what they were joining, although I cant state if this was true or not as I was not old enough to vote in that referendum just like most people on here, urself included I suspect."

Which "lot of people"? According to whom?

How many have you asked? What defines "a lot"? More than five?

uk

Why haven't we negotiated the sweetest deal ever? Oh, I can answer that! We already have that deal by being members of the EU.

It’s weird isn’t it? Was it Liam Fox who said it would be the easiest deal in history to make? "

The easiest deal in history is that one that was already made

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

And a tweet I saw ....

"

Confusion, not so. It’s a question of living with the a deal which is acceptable to all. That’s not so hard. The one word to solve this is compromise, that’s it.

That would be lynchpin to help untie the knot, which is the accepted version of events relating to to Gordian knot.

West London

And a tweet I saw ....

Confusion, not so. It’s a question of living with the a deal which is acceptable to all. That’s not so hard. The one word to solve this is compromise, that’s it.

That would be lynchpin to help untie the knot, which is the accepted version of events relating to to Gordian knot."

It would have been possible three years ago before: "Brexit means Brexit", "Leave means Leave", "You lost, get over it".

I don't know if the division was deliberately aggrevated and encouraged, but compromise requires listening and that's not happening.

The only option for leaving, and leavers are in control, has been getting harder and harder. Unfortunately this has led to a more entrenched position from the other half of the population.

Putting a timer on it makes it even more febrile.

I don't like it, but withdraw Article 50 and spend time talking.

Perhaps a year of consultations and public meetings. We might find that the actual problem is a very different one.

Could be a whole new model for democracy.

Then another referendum under no pressure.

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It was an advisory referendum. Plus if we're talking about ignoring referendum results, why are the 17.3 million (100k more than opinioned Brexit), who voted to join the EEC being ignored? Oh and before anybody comes back with the usual twaddle about that was only to join a trade bloc, do some research. The founding principles have always to been to get the benefits of closer political, trade and security relations (and that does not mean a federal state or EU army for you paranoid Brexiteers). lot of people who had the referendum on joining the EEC say they were never informed properly what they were joining, although I cant state if this was true or not as I was not old enough to vote in that referendum just like most people on here, urself included I suspect.

How many have you asked? What defines "a lot"? More than five?"

I stated that I could not be sure if this was true as it was before my time an yours too so not sure how you think you know better, and yes more than 5, an yes that is what they said to me, my parents are included in this and I am afraid I am going to believe them when they say it as they have no reason to lie.

I dnt know what does define "a lot"? You tell me, you seem to have answers for everything else. If it pleases you I will re phrase my statement to say the majority of people I have spoken too that were old enough at that point in time.

West London

"I dnt know what does define "a lot"? You tell me, you seem to have answers for everything else. If it pleases you I will re phrase my statement to say the majority of people I have spoken too that were old enough at that point in time."

That's the whole point isn't it?

You've mentioned your parents and the majority of people that you have asked of that age.

Not a normal conversation for me, but perhaps for you?

Is that number "a lot"?

I'm suggesting that you consider how many that is and how representative that is of 40 million or so.

West London

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It was an advisory referendum. Plus if we're talking about ignoring referendum results, why are the 17.3 million (100k more than opinioned Brexit), who voted to join the EEC being ignored? Oh and before anybody comes back with the usual twaddle about that was only to join a trade bloc, do some research. The founding principles have always to been to get the benefits of closer political, trade and security relations (and that does not mean a federal state or EU army for you paranoid Brexiteers). lot of people who had the referendum on joining the EEC say they were never informed properly what they were joining, although I cant state if this was true or not as I was not old enough to vote in that referendum just like most people on here, urself included I suspect.

How many have you asked? What defines "a lot"? More than five? I stated that I could not be sure if this was true as it was before my time an yours too so not sure how you think you know better, and yes more than 5, an yes that is what they said to me, my parents are included in this and I am afraid I am going to believe them when they say it as they have no reason to lie. "

People are always affronted when they "know" something, make an assertion and are asked to verify it.

I never claimed to "know better". I don't. You may have qualified your statement but do you not think that was quite an assertion?

I do volunteer work in a local care home at the weekend and I guess seeing as it's all that is on the news or in the papers every the residents talk about it to me, I never stated that " I know" anywhere in my post, I just made a comment in the forum as far as I was concerned, it was not an assertion at all.

And to answer your question, no the number of residents i come into contact with is not a "lot" in relation to population of the uk, as I said afterwards I will change the word a "lot" to the majority, and I will also accept that this is a minority in relation to the population.

But this is what they say about it, and my parents say the same but as previously stated "I" cannot state if this is true or not as I was too young at the time.

By *ovelifelovefuntimesMan  over a year ago

Where ever I lay my hat

So we seem to have gone to objecting to no deal, to objecting to get a deal agreed in a short time frame. What next, an objection to what font and colour the text is?

Yep, if it's in comic sans the SNP have threatened to walk out, however Aerial is a red line for Labour as apparently it was once used in the conservative manifesto and therefore cannot be impartial. The greens are just objecting to the agreement being written on paper.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So we seem to have gone to objecting to no deal, to objecting to get a deal agreed in a short time frame. What next, an objection to what font and colour the text is? "

i have zero issue with what happened today.... allowing the bill to 2nd reading means that more amendments can be put forward without the rush of being bullied to pass everything.....

3 days for a 250 page bill to be scrutinised was lunacy.....

Bristol East

'Tis the struggle for the soul of England.

Enjoy.

By *ilkysmooth123Man  over a year ago

nr sedbergh

"'Tis the struggle for the soul of England.

Enjoy.

"

England?

West London

"So we seem to have gone to objecting to no deal, to objecting to get a deal agreed in a short time frame. What next, an objection to what font and colour the text is? "

Do you really think that three days is long enough to read and debate and modify the bill?

Bristol East

"'Tis the struggle for the soul of England.

Enjoy.

England?"

Yes, it's an English phenomenon

Where ever I lay my hat

"So we seem to have gone to objecting to no deal, to objecting to get a deal agreed in a short time frame. What next, an objection to what font and colour the text is?

i have zero issue with what happened today.... allowing the bill to 2nd reading means that more amendments can be put forward without the rush of being bullied to pass everything.....

3 days for a 250 page bill to be scrutinised was lunacy....."

I suspect 95% of it is the same as what was debated before. By the same Mps. By the same Parliament. It's as though Parliament simply does not want to leave. On any basis.

Bristol East

Because MPs know that every option leaves the British people worse off than we are today. It's their job to find these things out and act in our best interests.

D'off the cap, m'lud

West London

"And to answer your question, no the number of residents i come into contact with is not a "lot" in relation to population of the uk, as I said afterwards I will change the word a "lot" to the majority, and I will also accept that this is a minority in relation to the population. "

That's the point. You meant "some". You wrote "a lot".

It may not have been deliberate but it does change the whole meaning of the post.

You have actually thought about it though. Most people just refuse to even consider what they said being questioned.

That's genuinely heartening

West London

"So we seem to have gone to objecting to no deal, to objecting to get a deal agreed in a short time frame. What next, an objection to what font and colour the text is?

I suspect 95% of it is the same as what was debated before. By the same Mps. By the same Parliament. It's as though Parliament simply does not want to leave. On any basis."

You suspect?

Is that your preference for how legislation is enacted?

Voting based on assumption?

Where ever I lay my hat

"Because MPs know that every option leaves the British people worse off than we are today. It's their job to find these things out and act in our best interests.

D'off the cap, m'lud

"

They don't know. No one does. If they knew the doomsday scenarios painted at the time of the referendum would have materialised.

Bristol East

They can only act on the evidence presented to them by the hearings they take, of government, of industry, of academia.

It is difficult for an MP to vote for a policy they know will harm their constituents.

Higher food prices, fewer jobs, inflation, economic and social isolation.

It ain't pretty.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"Because MPs know that every option leaves the British people worse off than we are today. It's their job to find these things out and act in our best interests.

D'off the cap, m'lud

"

What forecasts have said we will be worse off than at the time of the referendum? Or today?

Bristol East

Try reading stuff instead of wrapping your chips in it

Where ever I lay my hat

"They can only act on the evidence presented to them by the hearings they take, of government, of industry, of academia.

It is difficult for an MP to vote for a policy they know will harm their constituents.

It ain't pretty."

All of which may come to pass. Or may not. We were told 800,000 jobs would be lost simply by voting to leave. It hasn't happened. The future is uncertain and all predictions are only based on assumptions which are invariably wrong.

Derby

"Try reading stuff instead of wrapping your chips in it

"

So you can't provide any sources or substantiate what you saud then?

West London

D'off the cap, m'lud

What forecasts have said we will be worse off than at the time of the referendum? Or today?"

The government's

They haven't published an economic assessment of the latest transition deal though. They haven't had enough time even though they wanted it to be passed...

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"The government's

They haven't published an economic assessment of the latest transition deal though. They haven't had enough time even though they wanted it to be passed..."

Do you really believe that?

Or do you like me think that the government saw a draft assessment, promptly cancelled the study and had the lot shredded and burned.

West London

"They can only act on the evidence presented to them by the hearings they take, of government, of industry, of academia.

It ain't pretty.

All of which may come to pass. Or may not. We were told 800,000 jobs would be lost simply by voting to leave. It hasn't happened. The future is uncertain and all predictions are only based on assumptions which are invariably wrong. "

The Treasury forecasts of job losses were for leaving the EU with no deal.

Go and check your sources.

There's the normal reply.

Bad things might not happen because of "uncertainty".

You might not get hit by a car if you step into the road with your eyes closed. It's "uncertain". We have enough knowledge to predict a different result is more likely.

West London

"The government's

They haven't published an economic assessment of the latest transition deal though. They haven't had enough time even though they wanted it to be passed...

Or do you like me think that the government saw a draft assessment, promptly cancelled the study and had the lot shredded and burned.

"

I tend to assume incompetence rather than conspiracy.

With this latwst lot though I think there is both

Derry

"The government's

"

Maybe, I think by this stage the Govt is relying on a combination of Brexit fatigue, the fear of no deal and the prospect of a GE. 'Lets get brexit done'

I think they're relying on the belief that facts don't matter and propaganda works.

Where ever I lay my hat

It ain't pretty.

All of which may come to pass. Or may not. We were told 800,000 jobs would be lost simply by voting to leave. It hasn't happened. The future is uncertain and all predictions are only based on assumptions which are invariably wrong.

You might not get hit by a car if you step into the road with your eyes closed. It's "uncertain". We have enough knowledge to predict a different result is more likely."

I'm old enough to remember the predictions around not joining the Euro. Im also old enough to recall how we were in a new paradigm in 2007 and that boom and bust was a phrase of history. The thing is no one genuinely knows.

Glasgow

That’s a ridiculous analogy. Even pretty straightforward legislation would likely take a week or two to be read and discussed etc.

This bill is some of the most complex and significant legislation parliament will ever vote on. It is absolutely right and proper that parliament has a reasonable time to digest and review it.

Glasgow

D'off the cap, m'lud

They don't know. No one does. If they knew the doomsday scenarios painted at the time of the referendum would have materialised. "

No-one knows for absolute cast iron sure.

But pretty much every indecency economic experts and model indicated that we would be worse off.

Glasgow

Independent not indecency!

Where ever I lay my hat

That’s a ridiculous analogy. Even pretty straightforward legislation would likely take a week or two to be read and discussed etc.

This bill is some of the most complex and significant legislation parliament will ever vote on. It is absolutely right and proper that parliament has a reasonable time to digest and review it. "

It has been reviewed for months. A track changes would show that the only material changes relate to Northern Ireland. Perhaps a couple of days is too short, but in the commercial world this would need no more than a week. And then make your choice. Yes or No.

Where ever I lay my hat

D'off the cap, m'lud

They don't know. No one does. If they knew the doomsday scenarios painted at the time of the referendum would have materialised.

But pretty much every indecency economic experts and model indicated that we would be worse off.

"

And how many independent economists predicted the UK would be one of the strongest performing economies in Europe post 2016 or that Germany would be in recession in 2019. My point is all predictions are fallible.

uk

D'off the cap, m'lud

And how many independent economists predicted the UK would be one of the strongest performing economies in Europe post 2016 or that Germany would be in recession in 2019. My point is all predictions are fallible."

Making economic forecasts with little to go on is difficult. Add in an event like Brexit where for various reason there may be an significant impact to the economy then those predictions are a lot easier to make.

Derby

It ain't pretty.

You might not get hit by a car if you step into the road with your eyes closed. It's "uncertain". We have enough knowledge to predict a different result is more likely."

The treasury forecasts of job losses were for the 2 years immediately following a vote to leave - not once we have left ( either with or without a deal).

Section one of the document says:

1.2 The long-term document did not consider the immediate economic shock of a vote to leave the EU. This document looks at the immediate effect from the point of a decision to two years later, as this is the period in which to negotiate a withdrawal agreement to leave the EU as set out in the Treaties.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

if the Minister For Leaving The European Union was unaware that documentation would not be needed by firms transporting goods between Northern Ireland and mainland UK if the deal is passed , I feel MPs will need a lot more than 3 days to go through the deal to ensure they are fully aware of what they are agreeing to , when one of the "main men " clearly didn't

West London

This bill is some of the most complex and significant legislation parliament will ever vote on. It is absolutely right and proper that parliament has a reasonable time to digest and review it.

It has been reviewed for months. A track changes would show that the only material changes relate to Northern Ireland. Perhaps a couple of days is too short, but in the commercial world this would need no more than a week. And then make your choice. Yes or No."

Really?

You have seen the document and know this do you?

Is a week more or less than three days?

West London

D'off the cap, m'lud

And how many independent economists predicted the UK would be one of the strongest performing economies in Europe post 2016 or that Germany would be in recession in 2019. My point is all predictions are fallible."

You are flat out wrong.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-economic-growth-higher-europe/

The rate of UK GDP growth fell from best to worst performing and has remained consistently lower than the EU despite a global boom that lifted all economies.

Most economic cycles follow 8 to 10 years.

There is a global recession coming and as Germany is a big exporter of capital equipment to China which is the dynamo of the global economy a recession showing early there is not a surprise.

Do you think that the UK will not be effected? Do you think that Germany face economic difficulty in isolation?

You are no fool but you are only looking for and presenting one set of information.

Not being able to definitely prove something does not make a prediction bases on existing data irrelevant.

You listen to the weather forecast don't you?

West London

It ain't pretty.

You might not get hit by a car if you step into the road with your eyes closed. It's "uncertain". We have enough knowledge to predict a different result is more likely.

The treasury forecasts of job losses were for the 2 years immediately following a vote to leave - not once we have left ( either with or without a deal).

1.2 The long-term document did not consider the immediate economic shock of a vote to leave the EU. This document looks at the immediate effect from the point of a decision to two years later, as this is the period in which to negotiate a withdrawal agreement to leave the EU as set out in the Treaties."

It has been pointed out to you many times that the Treasury forecast was based on no action being taken following a Leave vote.

That did not happen did it? There was massive spending by the Treasury.

The medium term results have been very only slightly better than predicted except for unemployment. Happily in that case. The UK is worse off in every other way though.

That is true isn't it?

Are you arguing that because one item in a hugely complicated assessment was wrong then it is all wrong?

Are you suggesting that economic modelling is pointless and we shouldn't bother? When big decisions are made we should just "get it done"? No other information is necessary to inform our course of action?

West London

It ain't pretty.

1.2 The long-term document did not consider the immediate economic shock of a vote to leave the EU. This document looks at the immediate effect from the point of a decision to two years later, as this is the period in which to negotiate a withdrawal agreement to leave the EU as set out in the Treaties."

As we are quoting, you did read how the two scenarios were defined didn't you? They assumed that we would know what the final deal would look like at the end of two years and that we would definitely be leaving under one of them:

"Assessing the transition effect

A.12 The long-term document provided detailed analysis and estimates of the trade,

FDI and productivity effects that would be expected to permanently lower UK output in

the case of the UK leaving the EU. As Sections 1 and 2 set out, a proportion of these

effects would begin to appear immediately as firms, households and financial markets

begin to adjust to the UK’s new relationship with the EU.

A.13 In the shock scenario, the modelling incorporates the long-term trade and

productivity shocks from the negotiated bilateral agreement central estimate described

in the long-term document. This leads to a long-term loss of 6.2% of GDP relative to the

counterfactual case of remaining in the EU. In the severe shock scenario, the modelling

is based on the World Trade Organization (WTO) central estimate, consistent with a

long-term 7.5% loss of GDP."

Where ever I lay my hat

Always easy to throw around numbers but remember the EU contains a large number of smaller economies that skew the averages but in absolute terms are relatively small. Compared to the major economies of France, Germany and Italy the UK has done well and is forecast to outperform. However, there is a slowdown hence German dipping into recession and one cannot expect the UK not to be impacted. The point is there are lies, damned lies and forecast economic statistics!

Bristol East

"if the Minister For Leaving The European Union was unaware that documentation would not be needed by firms transporting goods between Northern Ireland and mainland UK if the deal is passed , I feel MPs will need a lot more than 3 days to go through the deal to ensure they are fully aware of what they are agreeing to , when one of the "main men " clearly didn't "

Yes, that is a very good point.

Barclay contradicted himself before a lords committee.

First he said trade between NI and GB would be unfettered.

Then he said NI business would need to fill out a new set of declarations for stuff crossing the Irish Sea.

Johnson did the same in Parliament.

First he insisted there would be no checks on trade between NI and GB

Then he told the Commons, to guffaws, it would "light touch regulation".

Is it any wonder MPs want time to understand the truth of what they are being asked to pass into law, when those at the top seem spectacularly unable to articulate it clearly?

Newcastle and Gateshead

I suspect 95% of it is the same as what was debated before. By the same Mps. By the same Parliament. It's as though Parliament simply does not want to leave. On any basis."

not true i am afraid ... and this is where the common fallacy lies....

I am going to use a lot of acronyms now so i do apologise

this was always going to be a 2 part process..... the meaningful vote (MV) on the Withdrawal Agreement (WA) the 545 page document..... and the Withdrawal Agreement Bill (WAB) itself

the way that May tried to do it was to get the MV done 1st.... then to do the WAB

3 times tried.... 3 times failed

then what "saturday" was originally about was Johnsons attempt to do it the same way (which actually also meant he could get around the Benn Act)

but what Letwins amendment did was to say they would not do the MV until all parts of the WAB had gone thru (which meant that because nothing had been passed by saturday night, it triggered the extension request in Benn)

so johnson is being forced to do it the other way round.... WAB first... then MV

so the 1st time that anyone had seen the actual WAB was 8pm on monday night! 110 pages of bill with 130 pages of supporting notes... and remember that the govt wanted to force it thru (1st committee stage would have been 8pm last night.... with final vote on 8pm thursday night)

Glasgow

Some of the usual suspect tabloids have been really annoying... talk of MPs “dithering” when the reality is that two days is nowhere near long enough to scrutinise such complex and important legislation.

By *icenspicy2Couple  over a year ago

Love Island

One chap on twitter wrote-

'Brexit is the Dodgy surgeon that promised you a penis that will touch the ground and delivers it by cutting off your legs'

West London

Boris Johnson deal is the political equivalent of negotiating a full price sofa from DFS according to a Project Yellowhammer civil servant (and therefore treacherous, remoaning, liberal snowflake)

Bristol East

"One of the advantages of EU membership is that we get to negotiate wider and deeper trade deals from a position of strength. If we leave, the boot will be on the other foot – and that will put Britain at a serious disadvantage."

- Javid

uk

""One of the advantages of EU membership is that we get to negotiate wider and deeper trade deals from a position of strength. If we leave, the boot will be on the other foot – and that will put Britain at a serious disadvantage."

- Javid

"

But that's ok. We get the blue passports (which we could have reverted to at any point), control our borders (which the government chose not to), avoid sending our young men and women to join the EU Army (which we have the power to veto) and avoid the Euro been forced on us because the Lisbon treaty (which is a lie).

thornaby

You wine about brexit every day mate none stop practice what you preach lol

Thing is if there was another referendum it would be based on the agreed terms of leaving that the Government had finalised with the EU, unlike a blank leave or remain option of before.

Everyone gets to vote on a set definite direction so remainers and leavers alike have the vote to say if their happy with either direction, either camp could easily vote differently to last time round now we know the leave deal.

If the 1st referendum had a set leave deal or crash out choice I could understand why a 2nd referendum shouldn't happen because it would be asking the exact same thing twice.

I just don't get why the hardliners want to refuse the rest of the country including their fellow leavers the choice to air their view on a set direction.

Derby

"Some of the usual suspect tabloids have been really annoying... talk of MPs “dithering” when the reality is that two days is nowhere near long enough to scrutinise such complex and important legislation. "

The European Communities Act 1972 - the bill that took us into the EU - was approved by 309 votes to 301 on 17th Feb 1972.....

After 3 days of debate.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Some of the usual suspect tabloids have been really annoying... talk of MPs “dithering” when the reality is that two days is nowhere near long enough to scrutinise such complex and important legislation.

The European Communities Act 1972 - the bill that took us into the EU - was approved by 309 votes to 301 on 17th Feb 1972.....

After 3 days of debate."

However it hadn't been thrown together in 2 days by a bunch of shysters that had deliberately and consistently lied in every single statement they made since forming a cabinet. There was no danger of a hidden paragraph on page 296 saying that Boris Johnson is king and everyone has to bow down to him. Or the bit on page 364 where hospital treatment for working classes is abolished, commoners can just go die in a ditch.

This is why any legislation put forward by this government, this prime minister, requires studying under a microscope and the precise legal meaning of every word be examined. Because there is no expectation of honest intent, indeed there is every expectation of dishonerable behaviour. If Boris Johnson was asked what time of day it was, he would lie.

This is the most important and far reaching legislation of the past 50 years. It is admitted even by those trying to push it through that it will have an adverse effect on the lives of millions of people. Yet they want it to be given less scrutiny than a bill about what typeface should be used for labelling pre-packaged cheese.

Ah got to love the old, people didn't know what they were voting for excuse

I'm sure people didn't know what they were letting (voting) themselves in for 40 years prior ....

"Ah got to love the old, people didn't know what they were voting for excuse

I'm sure people didn't know what they were letting (voting) themselves in for 40 years prior ....

"

All binary referendums are dangerous and should not be foisted on us ever again. They are a fundamentally flawed way of deciding a policy.

By *jloversCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Really hope so. Fingers crossed ???? x

Derby

"Some of the usual suspect tabloids have been really annoying... talk of MPs “dithering” when the reality is that two days is nowhere near long enough to scrutinise such complex and important legislation.

After 3 days of debate.

However it hadn't been thrown together in 2 days by a bunch of shysters that had deliberately and consistently lied in every single statement they made since forming a cabinet. There was no danger of a hidden paragraph on page 296 saying that Boris Johnson is king and everyone has to bow down to him. Or the bit on page 364 where hospital treatment for working classes is abolished, commoners can just go die in a ditch.

This is why any legislation put forward by this government, this prime minister, requires studying under a microscope and the precise legal meaning of every word be examined. Because there is no expectation of honest intent, indeed there is every expectation of dishonerable behaviour. If Boris Johnson was asked what time of day it was, he would lie.

This is the most important and far reaching legislation of the past 50 years. It is admitted even by those trying to push it through that it will have an adverse effect on the lives of millions of people. Yet they want it to be given less scrutiny than a bill about what typeface should be used for labelling pre-packaged cheese."

I suggest you do a bit of research about it, there were lots of lies told then as well, and things hidden from cabinet, government, parliament and the people.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I suggest you do a bit of research about it, there were lots of lies told then as well, and things hidden from cabinet, government, parliament and the people. "

2 wrongs don't make a right.....

so what do you tell the people and business's of northern ireland....

so where the prime minister. the foreign sec, the home sec and the brexit sec all lying to them... or did they not know what was in the agreement either

ooops....

my bad........

well, you are the sacrifical lambs and you just have to take it!

Bristol East

After 3 days of debate."

50 years of integration since. Takes a while to unpick.

Derby

After 3 days of debate.

50 years of integration since. Takes a while to unpick."

Indeed, document FCO30/1048, locked away under the Official Secrets Act in 1971, not released until 2002, advised Ted Heath to keep the British public in the dark about what EEC membership meant (loss of sovereignty, federalism, political and economic union etc), predicting that it would take 30 years for voters to realise what was happening, by which time it would be too late to leave.

It advised that if the public were to find out the contents and conclusions of the report that it would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to join the EEC.

West London

After 3 days of debate.

50 years of integration since. Takes a while to unpick.

Indeed, document FCO30/1048, locked away under the Official Secrets Act in 1971, not released until 2002, advised Ted Heath to keep the British public in the dark about what EEC membership meant (loss of sovereignty, federalism, political and economic union etc), predicting that it would take 30 years for voters to realise what was happening, by which time it would be too late to leave.

It advised that if the public were to find out the contents and conclusions of the report that it would make it very difficult, if not impossible, to join the EEC."

Daily Express much?

It's actually a very balanced document.

Boring as hell but balanced.

There is nothing about keeping the public in the dark. It's about not oversimplifying a complex matter.

Quite precient in many ways:

"4. The technical legal aspects of sovereignty, both internal and external (particularly the

latter), must not be confused with the realities of power. Ultimately it is the latter which

count. There may be a tendency that, in proportion as the facts about the realities of power

are unpalatable, so emphasis on and interest in the comforting and reassuring legal aspects

of sovereignty increases,"

"Sovereignty in external relations still includes formal equality of status with other states, A

striking expression is in voting arrangements in the UN General Assembly, where, for

example, Mauritius has the same vote as the US (but the realities of power are reflected by

the veto in the Security Council, and by systems of weighted voting in many organisations,

not least the European Communities), it involves also the absence of any formally superior

source of authority external to the State. It does not mean equal power or influence, or

freedom of action in the international scene, or even within the state itself, though these ideas

naturally spring to mind in the context of sovereignty. To take an extreme example, while the

Central American republics are sovereign states recognised as such by other states, in

practice they are limited by their relations with the US Government, and perhaps more

critically with private US interests, both in their freedom of international action and in their

ability to regulate affairs within their own boundaries. All states are under some degree of

external constraint and most have deliberately limited their freedom of action in pursuit of

national interests, for example by military alliances, entry into international organisations or

even by the conclusion of routine treaties."

"It is right to say that the question of the retention of the international status of a sovereign

State is a matter of assessing in each case the degree to which a State’s external

independence, equality and capacity to conduct its own international relations are restricted,

we could nevertheless fairly conclude that although the implications for our freedom of

independent action are considerable no substantial impairment of our international status

would follow immediately upon our membership of the European Communities."

"(iv) National Power

As explained in paragraph 6 above, questions of power and influence have a close popular

connection with ideas of sovereignty. The British have long been accustomed to the belief

that we play a major part in ordering the affairs of the world and that in ordering our own

affairs we are beholden to none. Much of this is mere illusion. As a middle power we can

proceed only by treaty, alliance and compromise. So we are dependent on others both for the

effective defence of the United Kingdom and also for the commercial and international

financial conditions which govern our own economy. But this fact though intellectually conceded, is not widely or deeply understood; instinctive attitudes derive from a period of

greater British power. Joining the Community does strike at these attitudes: it is a further

large step away from what is thought to be unfettered national freedom and a public

acknowledgement of our reduced national power; moreover, joining the Community

institutionalises in a single, permanent coalition the necessary process of accommodation

and alliance over large areas of policy, domestic as well as external. Even though these

areas may be less immediately relevant to survival than defence, as covered by NATO, the

form of the Community structure and the intentions explicit in the preamble to the Treaty of

Rome emphasise the merging of national interests"

Have a look at the news headlines at the time of the referendum.

There's plenty about closer union.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

A good winner at Galway today for all the contributors to the fab political forum , the 1-45 was won by a horse called ,,,,, Meaningful Vote ,,, hope you all had a few shillings on ,, it won at 33/1

» Add a new message to this topic