FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > General Election

General Election

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

BJ wants election on 12th December - but does he have the numbers for a vote regarding the FTPA or a possible vote on no confidence in themselves? We wait and see Labour’s response.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Labour should sit tight , a General Election will not sort out this Tory shambles which is Brexit , demand Johnson calls for a referendum on his deal or remain ,, if it is such a great deal and it is the will of the people , what has he got to fear ?

By *avagliamMan  over a year ago

London

"BJ wants election on 12th December - but does he have the numbers for a vote regarding the FTPA or a possible vote on no confidence in themselves? We wait and see Labour’s response."

BoJo and Trump have no numbers, but both have Facebook. Facebook and other social networks are spreading so much fake news, specially days before an election; if you have a Facebook account make the following experiment: stop watching it for a month and notice how less you hate the people you see around you. Facebook control our thoughts and manipulate us through the constant news it bombard us with when we're just scrolling up and down... News of Nigerians coming to invade us, Turkey joining the EU, the random citizen from Essex (no names given) being hit until he lost his memory by a ganng of Muslims thought to have enter th UK illegally or (this one's commonly used in Germany) the random 75 year old lady that was forced to have group sex by 15 refugees thought to be mauritania... If you believe you're too intelligent to filter all the fake news Facebook shows you whilst you scroll down, then good luck with that. In conclusion, with Facebook and other social networks as sources of massive brain washing trump can easily be re-elected and BoJo can easily win a GE. The Solution starts by getting rid of your Facebook account.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A general election will solve nothing .

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"A general election will solve nothing .

"

Not if you want to remain it wont.

"

And a second vote will rip this country apart more. Let's say leave win, most MPs will still try to get us to stay. Let's say remain win, every one who voted leave twice will say ok fair play we remain. Get real.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

And a second vote will rip this country apart more. Let's say leave win, most MPs will still try to get us to stay. Let's say remain win, every one who voted leave twice will say ok fair play we remain. Get real. "

Agreed as far as the General Election is concerned.

However a second vote will only further entrench both sides if it is an equally close result. If as the leave side claim there has been a significant move in their favour they will be vindicated by an increased share of the vote, if however there is a significant swing in favour of remaining in the EU then article 50 can be withdrawn and the rump of leave supporters can reasonably demand a change in the law requiring all changes to EU treaties be subject to legally binding referenda.

Of course this will not happen because the EU referendum was really about uniting the conservative party and bolstering its support amongst 'the swivel eyed loons' of the flag waving right, while dividing their opposition, and nothing has changed in that respect.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

We need to sort out Brexit first. Why? Because an election should not be on a single issue.

We need the withdrawal bill sorted, and whatever amendments need to be added. Then we can move on.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

Corbyn refused to go for a GE, saying he wanted a "no deal" Brexit off the table.

Now a "no deal" brexit is off the table..... so why are Labour still running scared?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Corbyn refused to go for a GE, saying he wanted a "no deal" Brexit off the table.

Now a "no deal" brexit is off the table..... so why are Labour still running scared?"

I think the polls will give you the answer you need.

"Corbyn refused to go for a GE, saying he wanted a "no deal" Brexit off the table.

Now a "no deal" brexit is off the table..... so why are Labour still running scared?"

Why do we need a GE? We had one in 2017?

"We need to sort out Brexit first. Why? Because an election should not be on a single issue.

We need the withdrawal bill sorted, and whatever amendments need to be added. Then we can move on.

"

Exactly

And a second vote will rip this country apart more. Let's say leave win, most MPs will still try to get us to stay. Let's say remain win, every one who voted leave twice will say ok fair play we remain. Get real. "

Simple, the second referendum doesn’t have remain as an option, just the Boris deal an no deal??

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

he has seen the backlash to his "deal" re: northern ireland, the longer it sits out there the worse it will be torn apart....

thats why he wants his election, because he couldn't keep to his oct 31st promise, and if he lies about his deal what else is he going to lie about.....

the longer it sits out there... the more of his voters he loses to the brexit party!

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Yeah. Why not? I'm always up for a vote. Billions worldwide have never had the chance.

In many ways, for many of us, casting a vote doesn't change anything; particularly in the UK's fucked up FPTP system for General Elections.

That said, I just can't give up trying.

Bring it on.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"he has seen the backlash to his "deal" re: northern ireland, the longer it sits out there the worse it will be torn apart....

thats why he wants his election, because he couldn't keep to his oct 31st promise, and if he lies about his deal what else is he going to lie about.....

the longer it sits out there... the more of his voters he loses to the brexit party!"

Fabio the longer this shit drags on which party do you think will suffer the most voters wise the tories or labour ?

By *avagliamMan  over a year ago

London

"he has seen the backlash to his "deal" re: northern ireland, the longer it sits out there the worse it will be torn apart....

the longer it sits out there... the more of his voters he loses to the brexit party!"

Are you subtly implying there is a chance to win for the brexit party? I don't know how to avoid any trompo related news as the fucking cunt is all over on the internet. But know I will move to a jungle in Laos if the brexit party wins a GE: I won't be able to endure another fucking cunt being all over in the news, internet... Seriously.

The more I think about it it doesn't matter which party wins the GE, we will be having a second referendum because it's very unlikely that the conservatives would command a majority in the HOC. They will have to form a coalition with the lib dems and to get their support agree to another referendum.

If labour win they have already agreed to deal or remain referendum.

The only way brexit can be carried out is if the Tories can win with a majority.

near ipswich

so all you in favour of a second referendum answer me this what would happen if leave won again but say for eg with 50,000 votes?

"so all you in favour of a second referendum answer me this what would happen if leave won again but say for eg with 50,000 votes?"

What if? The first referendum was advisory make the second legally binding , big difference

near ipswich

"so all you in favour of a second referendum answer me this what would happen if leave won again but say for eg with 50,000 votes?

What if? The first referendum was advisory make the second legally binding , big difference "

so you would be happy with that then ? just asking.

"so all you in favour of a second referendum answer me this what would happen if leave won again but say for eg with 50,000 votes?

What if? The first referendum was advisory make the second legally binding , big difference so you would be happy with that then ? just asking."

Happy with what??

near ipswich

What if? The first referendum was advisory make the second legally binding , big difference so you would be happy with that then ? just asking.

Happy with what?? "

did you not read the question?

What if? The first referendum was advisory make the second legally binding , big difference so you would be happy with that then ? just asking.

Happy with what?? did you not read the question?"

Nah, ask again

near ipswich

Happy with what?? did you not read the question?

Nah, ask again "

very mature.

Nah, ask again very mature."

Pardon. I seriously don’t know what the question is??

If we are to leave the EU and to contoll our borders then we must have a border on the island of Iteland between Eire and the North ,, 17.4 million people voted for this , if we were to hold a 2nd referendum would all those 17.4 million now vote for a border down the Irish Sea between the UK and the U.K. and not want a border between the UK and the EU ?

near ipswich

Nah, ask again very mature.

Pardon. I seriously don’t know what the question is?? "

The question was would remainers be happy if there was a second referendum and leave won again but with for eg 50,000 votes?

Pardon. I seriously don’t know what the question is?? The question was would remainers be happy if there was a second referendum and leave won again but with for eg 50,000 votes?"

I can only speak for myself . Happy? No. However as it will be legally binding and we are all now better informed about the consequences of Brexit then it is far easier to accept . Would leave voters be ‘happy’ if remain win by 50,000 votes?

near ipswich

Pardon. I seriously don’t know what the question is?? The question was would remainers be happy if there was a second referendum and leave won again but with for eg 50,000 votes?

I can only speak for myself . Happy? No. However as it will be legally binding and we are all now better informed about the consequences of Brexit then it is far easier to accept . Would leave voters be ‘happy’ if remain win by 50,000 votes?"

I dont know but do you really think that a turnout of 72% turned out and voted because they thought it was advisory or because they thought the mp,s would listen to them? i really think your advisory against legally binding is a very lame excuse cooked up by lib/dems.

Pardon. I seriously don’t know what the question is?? The question was would remainers be happy if there was a second referendum and leave won again but with for eg 50,000 votes?

I can only speak for myself . Happy? No. However as it will be legally binding and we are all now better informed about the consequences of Brexit then it is far easier to accept . Would leave voters be ‘happy’ if remain win by 50,000 votes?I dont know but do you really think that a turnout of 72% turned out and voted because they thought it was advisory or because they thought the mp,s would listen to them? i really think your advisory against legally binding is a very lame excuse cooked up by lib/dems."

It was advisory . Perhaps people should be better educated before they voted? Do you think 17.4 million people would still have voted leave if they thought they were voting for no deal or The Boris deal? Just asking ? And what about the 2 million new voters we have since 2016?? Brexit has taken to long not to have another vote

near ipswich

I can only speak for myself . Happy? No. However as it will be legally binding and we are all now better informed about the consequences of Brexit then it is far easier to accept . Would leave voters be ‘happy’ if remain win by 50,000 votes?I dont know but do you really think that a turnout of 72% turned out and voted because they thought it was advisory or because they thought the mp,s would listen to them? i really think your advisory against legally binding is a very lame excuse cooked up by lib/dems.

It was advisory . Perhaps people should be better educated before they voted? Do you think 17.4 million people would still have voted leave if they thought they were voting for no deal or The Boris deal? Just asking ? And what about the 2 million new voters we have since 2016?? Brexit has taken to long not to have another vote "

There was a choice in or out not that hard to understand and even if you go with your advisory referendum both main parties said they would honour it so that seems pretty binding to me.As for more voters now argument should we have a GE every 6 months because there are new voters?

I can only speak for myself . Happy? No. However as it will be legally binding and we are all now better informed about the consequences of Brexit then it is far easier to accept . Would leave voters be ‘happy’ if remain win by 50,000 votes?I dont know but do you really think that a turnout of 72% turned out and voted because they thought it was advisory or because they thought the mp,s would listen to them? i really think your advisory against legally binding is a very lame excuse cooked up by lib/dems.

It was advisory . Perhaps people should be better educated before they voted? Do you think 17.4 million people would still have voted leave if they thought they were voting for no deal or The Boris deal? Just asking ? And what about the 2 million new voters we have since 2016?? Brexit has taken to long not to have another vote There was a choice in or out not that hard to understand and even if you go with your advisory referendum both main parties said they would honour it so that seems pretty binding to me.As for more voters now argument should we have a GE every 6 months because there are new voters? "

It was advisory. Did you vote leave? If so which deal did you vote for? Let’s just have a second referendum? Good idea ?

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Zero people voted to leave the EU with no deal, because the manifesto of the leave side promised leaving with immediate deals in place that would be better than being in the EU. Any suggestion from the remain side that these promises were not possible to keep was denounced as "project fear".

The only leave mandate given by the referendum was to leave and be better off. If this promise cannot be delivered, then the only remaining option mandated by the referendum is to remain a member of the EU.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Reading the comments it’s easy to see why this situation is so messed up.

We need certainty, government and opposition must compromise on the withdrawal bill. Thats the priority, elections can be fought in a few months time.

Brexiteers need to accept that a deal needs to be done and there are conditions on our departure.

Remainers need to stop trying to replay a result, over and over again. Accept we are leaving and work on the deal which reduces the impact of leaving.

No more soundbites from both sides of this or that.

No more posturing or threats

Both sides need to put their heads together and get a result for the entire UK.

Don’t both sides see how much damage they are doing to the reputation of this country?

So wind your necks, start figuring out what is the best way to solve Brexit on which everyone Agee’s on

Stockport

"Reading the comments it’s easy to see why this situation is so messed up.

We need certainty, government and opposition must compromise on the withdrawal bill. Thats the priority, elections can be fought in a few months time.

Brexiteers need to accept that a deal needs to be done and there are conditions on our departure.

Remainers need to stop trying to replay a result, over and over again. Accept we are leaving and work on the deal which reduces the impact of leaving.

Don’t both sides see how much damage they are doing to the reputation of this country?

So wind your necks, start figuring out what is the best way to solve Brexit on which everyone Agee’s on

"

100% of those that voted in the referendum agree that they want to be equal or better off to the current position as members of the EU. Everyone that voted to leave did so because they were told they would be better off. Everyone that voted to remain did so because they were either happy with the status quo or did not believe that it was possible to do better outside the EU.

Zero people voted to leave requesting to be worse off, because the leave campaign gave express assurances that this would not be the case.

There is NO MANDATE for any leave with lesser damage. The only mandate from the referendum is for leave with deals in place to be at least no worse off.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"We need to sort out Brexit first. Why? Because an election should not be on a single issue.

"

But apparently everybody hates everything the tories are doing domestically, the majority of people now want to remain or at least have a second referendum, and those that still want to leave don't want the new WA.

Why would anyone vote for the tories? It should be a walk in the park for Labour....

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

But apparently everybody hates everything the tories are doing domestically, the majority of people now want to remain or at least have a second referendum, and those that still want to leave don't want the new WA.

Why would anyone vote for the tories? It should be a walk in the park for Labour...."

listening to peeps on here you would think the torys have not a hope in hell yet the labour party seem to be bottling it after spending the last year and half asking for a GE.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

My recycling box will be overflowing with Christmas junk and election junk.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Labour aren't doing well in the opinion polls, so they're not in a rush for a election. The SNP want an election sooner than later because Alex Salmond is on trial in Febuary next year

Jo Swinson is after Tory Seats so they are good to go. Boris wants to 'get brexit done', he has finally got some momentum and really has no option. The DUP (bless them) have a world of pain ahead of them. They probably would lose a seat if there was a pre christmas election as would SF. I understand the 12 of December is the last date available be polling station availabilty.

Ho Ho Ho

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The second referendum for a fixed offer of departure should need a significant proportion of voters, as it's the highest risk strategy, say 80% or more.

It's so far cost £billions in evaluation and trade losses etc but hasn't delivered the promised simple solution giving any benefits and is going to cause significant damage to millions.

Bristol East

"The second referendum for a fixed offer of departure should need a significant proportion of voters, as it's the highest risk strategy, say 80% or more.

It's so far cost £billions in evaluation and trade losses etc but hasn't delivered the promised simple solution giving any benefits and is going to cause significant damage to millions. "

But that is what people voted for, didn't they?

Remain said we'd all be poorer as a result, and still people said they wanted it regardless.

Why shouldn't they get what they voted for?

near ipswich

"Labour aren't doing well in the opinion polls, so they're not in a rush for a election. The SNP want an election sooner than later because Alex Salmond is on trial in Febuary next year

Jo Swinson is after Tory Seats so they are good to go. Boris wants to 'get brexit done', he has finally got some momentum and really has no option. The DUP (bless them) have a world of pain ahead of them. They probably would lose a seat if there was a pre christmas election as would SF. I understand the 12 of December is the last date available be polling station availabilty.

Ho Ho Ho"

Just about sums it up in a nutshell .The end game is in sight i can see the eu holding out with their extension letter and then corbyn will have to sound his own death knell by calling an election.Macron is on record as saying he wants this done now and knows if they give an extension to 31st jan it could end up with the same result as the 31st oct deadline.I wont be surprised if the eu letter does not arrive until next thursday.

Bristol East

On the day of the referendum, the Conservative Party had a majority in Parliament of 12.

Enough to proceed with implementation of the result, one might think.

The next election wasn't due until 2020.

In that time, the Conservative Party has failed to deliver Brexit and now has a majority of - 45.

As fuck-ups go, that's pretty spectacular.

near ipswich

"On the day of the referendum, the Conservative Party had a majority in Parliament of 12.

In that time, the Conservative Party has failed to deliver Brexit and now has a majority of - 45.

"

so time for a GE then.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"On the day of the referendum, the Conservative Party had a majority in Parliament of 12.

"

Add to that the spectacular fuck-up that is Labour and Jeremy Corbyn.

Grantham

"

The next GE was due in 2022, not 2020.

Since the last GE, 70 MPs are not with the party they fought that GE with.

Grantham

Jeremy Corbyn knows he only has one chance of being the next PM.

His approval ratings in the polls are through the floor. Indeed, one poll has him as being the worst opposition leader ever!

Polls also show that, given the choice of No Deal or Jeremy Corbyn led Government, No Deal is ahead.

An imminent GE could wipe Labour out in the North and Scotland. If that happens, then Jeremy Corbyn would face calls to quit.

Bristol East

The next GE was due in 2022, not 2020.

Since the last GE, 70 MPs are not with the party they fought that GE with. "

Yes, part of the Conservative Party's fuck-up was calling a snap election in 2017.

They had no need to do so - until Mrs May realised she could not rely on her own party to deliver Brexit.

All part of the Conservative Party's giant clusterfuck.

Bristol East

The entire thing is a clusterfuck made in the Conservative Party.

Do you remember the demos in the street, the millions marching for independence?

No, neither do I.

The referendum was simply a cynical ploy to keep the Conservative Party in power.

Party interest before national interest.

Which has given us this giant clusterf*ck called Brexit.

This lot must rank as the worst set of politicians ever to hold office in my lifetime.

Here's a thought about the next general election.

Imaginary by the way but an interesting idea I think you'll agree.

Stop Press news.......... Next general election to be held using proportional representation. However the labour party, Brexit party, SNP and DUP etc etc are all to be banned with just the Conservatives and Liberal democrats being allowed to field candidates.

Isn't that a bit like what the referendum was like isn't it ???

It makes no sense to hold votes like that does it ?

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"The entire thing is a clusterfuck made in the Conservative Party.

Do you remember the demos in the street, the millions marching for independence?

No, neither do I.

The referendum was simply a cynical ploy to keep the Conservative Party in power.

This lot must rank as the worst set of politicians ever to hold office in my lifetime.

"

Cameron, May or Johnson, all equally culpable in their own ways. And all worried about the threat posed by Mr WillofthePeople Farage

Equally the British Media are culpable in this.

JC couldn't hold his tribe together. They effectively neutered themselves.

And last but not least the electorate.

Grantham

No, neither do I.

"

Labour were calling for a referendum as early as the 1980s. Tony Blair referenced calling a referendum twice, 2004 and 2005.

The Referendum Party was formed in the 1990s and managed to get 3% of the vote in their first GE.

Vince Cable 2007 and Nick Clegg 2008 both called for a referendum.

You can use any narrative you like to suit your political bias. The calls have been there for decades to have a referendum on our EU membership.

It still boils down to why Remain managed to lose a one horse race.

"Here's a thought about the next general election.

Imaginary by the way but an interesting idea I think you'll agree.

Stop Press news.......... Next general election to be held using proportional representation. However the labour party, Brexit party, SNP and DUP etc etc are all to be banned with just the Conservatives and Liberal democrats being allowed to field candidates.

Isn't that a bit like what the referendum was like isn't it ???

It makes no sense to hold votes like that does it ?

"

I have an actual example of this from the local elections. I went into my local polling station. At the time Teresa Mays deal was thrashing around and I wanted to express my protest by voting liberal democrat at the lack of progress.

Well you can guess what happened. There were 2 seats up for grabs and guess what............ only 2 labour and 2 Conservative candidates on the ballot paper. Basically I was fucked. I thought shit the bed Rick. I do not want those labour candidates loose with my vote, I really do not believe in what that shower want at the moment. What should I have done. Walked out the door and not voted, No I decided I had to make the best of a bad job and voted for the 2 conservative candidates. It was the only logical thing to do.

No, neither do I.

Labour were calling for a referendum as early as the 1980s. Tony Blair referenced calling a referendum twice, 2004 and 2005.

The Referendum Party was formed in the 1990s and managed to get 3% of the vote in their first GE.

You can use any narrative you like to suit your political bias. The calls have been there for decades to have a referendum on our EU membership.

It still boils down to why Remain managed to lose a one horse race. "

The question is...... Should it have been a 3 horse race with an each way bet counting on the horse that came 2nd

"Zero people voted to leave the EU with no deal, because the manifesto of the leave side promised leaving with immediate deals in place that would be better than being in the EU. Any suggestion from the remain side that these promises were not possible to keep was denounced as "project fear".

The only leave mandate given by the referendum was to leave and be better off. If this promise cannot be delivered, then the only remaining option mandated by the referendum is to remain a member of the EU."

https://mobile.twitter.com/change_britain/status/1161553730996711424?lang=en

Seems to be a lot of remainers in this video clearly saying that the default was to leave without a deal. So when I voted I knew exactly what the options were, either a deal or no deal.

There was also no option of a second referendum, and as for those saying it was an advisory vote and not a legally binding one, I think it was pretty clear it was a one off vote and that the result would be carried out regardless!

https://mobile.twitter.com/change_britain/status/1116381401383706626?locale=bg

So let’s just get it done and get on with life!

Bristol East

No, neither do I.

It still boils down to why Remain managed to lose a one horse race. "

The policy of the Conservative Party was pro-EU.

So, too, Labour and Lib Dems.

Cameron gambled that policy in order to secure party advantage, basically, and lost.

Only an idiot holds a referendum to endorse the status quo.

Stockport

"Zero people voted to leave the EU with no deal, because the manifesto of the leave side promised leaving with immediate deals in place that would be better than being in the EU. Any suggestion from the remain side that these promises were not possible to keep was denounced as "project fear".

The only leave mandate given by the referendum was to leave and be better off. If this promise cannot be delivered, then the only remaining option mandated by the referendum is to remain a member of the EU.

Seems to be a lot of remainers in this video clearly saying that the default was to leave without a deal. So when I voted I knew exactly what the options were, either a deal or no deal.

There was also no option of a second referendum, and as for those saying it was an advisory vote and not a legally binding one, I think it was pretty clear it was a one off vote and that the result would be carried out regardless!

"

As regards the intention of leave voters at the date of the referendum, it is immaterial what the remain message was. The unrefutable historical fact, recorded on video, newspapers, internet, is that the leave campaign stated unequivocally that on leaving the EU there would be more money, no loss of jobs, trade deals lined up around the world. In reply to every criticism they invoked "project fear". The manifesto for leaving was that everything would be better than being in the EU.

The referendum gave no mandate for leaving and being worse off. That option was explicitly ruled out by all campaigners of the leave side.

"

I am sure we would all love it if Brexit just disappeared into history but it was an advisory vote and Cameron had neither the imagination or the cojones to stand up in Parliament and say that he had made a monstrous and ill-conceived fuck up so he fucked off and left everyone else to pick up his shit. The lies told by the leavers and the political indoctrination carried out by Cambridge analytica via Facebook were evil and should have had consequences for them but to save face this bunch of crapheads running the country had to run with the idea. In the future when its all done and dusted people will look back on this as a monumental failure of leadership and I hope Boris, Farage and Rees-Mogg will be humbled by it. As for Dominic Cummings, the sooner he fucks off to some position in the pay of his American masters the better - he’s a psychopathic posh bully who hates the working classes.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

But it's not actually off the table yet. That's the problem.

Widnes

Now a "no deal" brexit is off the table..... so why are Labour still running scared?

I think the polls will give you the answer you need. "

Although there's probably a lot of truth in this comment too.

Widnes

What if? The first referendum was advisory make the second legally binding , big difference so you would be happy with that then ? just asking."

No I wouldn't be happy. I'd be very very sad, but at least I know that people genuinely voted for it knowing what it was and I could probably live with that.

[Removed by poster at 25/10/19 13:32:21]

"

What if I said that we must leave with the deal that is on offer whether you like it or not ? Is it happy days we're out or will you carp on like Nigel Farage that we're not really out ? Will you really really be happy ?

What if I said that we must leave with the deal that is on offer whether you like it or not ? Is it happy days we're out or will you carp on like Nigel Farage that we're not really out ? Will you really really be happy ?

"

I'd be happy with that as an outcome but I accept that you might not be happy. You'll feel like you've been sold down the River by Boris maybe ?

Will you actually be as happy as you say ?

Leaving Boris in purgatory unable to get his bill through unable to get an election flapping around like a kipper,twisting and turning to no avail is the best option for labour.Let him make more do or die promises let him lie some more .

It’s also deliciously entertaining..

"Leaving Boris in purgatory unable to get his bill through unable to get an election flapping around like a kipper,twisting and turning to no avail is the best option for labour.Let him make more do or die promises let him lie some more .

It’s also deliciously entertaining.. "

It might be entertaining for some but jobs are being lost and people are probably dying as a result of this. Yes it's great fun isn't it.

Grantham

"Leaving Boris in purgatory unable to get his bill through unable to get an election flapping around like a kipper,twisting and turning to no avail is the best option for labour.Let him make more do or die promises let him lie some more .

Will that get my by-pass built any quicker, or a decision made on re-opening my A and E department at night?

Government is paralysed whilst all parties play their games. We could even have the spectacle of Government effectively "going on strike" next week!

Will that get my by-pass built any quicker, or a decision made on re-opening my A and E department at night?

Government is paralysed whilst all parties play their games. We could even have the spectacle of Government effectively "going on strike" next week! "

Then Boris should resign!!

Do or die wasn’t it??

near ipswich

yeah great mentality the economy stagnating nothing getting done but pleased its great amusement for you.

It might be entertaining for some but jobs are being lost and people are probably dying as a result of this. Yes it's great fun isn't it."

If I was labour I would keep kicking Boris until he’s dead in a ditch or cuts his own throat and resigns...

Boris promised it would be all so simple. He told us as he voted down PM Mays brexit. She is incompetant he could have this wrapped up in a few weeks. Well Johnson it doesnt seem so simple now does it. You have alienated 21 of your own MPs . You have lost most of your votes already...You are a sad delusional blowhard....If it wasnt for the fact that your stupidity is costing us all...I would let you wriggle and squirm, and smile as much as Theresa May must be doing at your treachery being rewarded with your lack of talent being exposed to us all.

"Boris promised it would be all so simple. He told us as he voted down PM Mays brexit. She is incompetant he could have this wrapped up in a few weeks. Well Johnson it doesnt seem so simple now does it. You have alienated 21 of your own MPs . You have lost most of your votes already...You are a sad delusional blowhard....If it wasnt for the fact that your stupidity is costing us all...I would let you wriggle and squirm, and smile as much as Theresa May must be doing at your treachery being rewarded with your lack of talent being exposed to us all."

Well said

"Boris promised it would be all so simple. He told us as he voted down PM Mays brexit. She is incompetant he could have this wrapped up in a few weeks. Well Johnson it doesnt seem so simple now does it. You have alienated 21 of your own MPs . You have lost most of your votes already...You are a sad delusional blowhard....If it wasnt for the fact that your stupidity is costing us all...I would let you wriggle and squirm, and smile as much as Theresa May must be doing at your treachery being rewarded with your lack of talent being exposed to us all.

Well said "

I agree

"Boris promised it would be all so simple. He told us as he voted down PM Mays brexit. She is incompetant he could have this wrapped up in a few weeks. Well Johnson it doesnt seem so simple now does it. You have alienated 21 of your own MPs . You have lost most of your votes already...You are a sad delusional blowhard....If it wasnt for the fact that your stupidity is costing us all...I would let you wriggle and squirm, and smile as much as Theresa May must be doing at your treachery being rewarded with your lack of talent being exposed to us all."

It’s also deliciously entertaining.. yeah great mentality the economy stagnating nothing getting done but pleased its great amusement for you. "

You have to laugh ? Leave voters were warned this would happen, some were stupid, some were naive , all were lied to, they have noting to complain about .

"

Then Boris should resign!!

Do or die wasn’t it??"

Indeed but did you really believe him when he said that!

Do you believe anything that man says

I don't

Labour have made boris the underdog fighting for the people. Can't believe they are so thick and fell for it. Labour are dead just not been buried yet.

"Labour have made boris the underdog fighting for the people. Can't believe they are so thick and fell for it. Labour are dead just not been buried yet. "

Fighting for people? He fights only for himself and his rich friends. Time to open eyes blinded by hypocrisy. I can't believe that people still believe in his liar and ineptitude.

And a second vote will rip this country apart more. Let's say leave win, most MPs will still try to get us to stay. Let's say remain win, every one who voted leave twice will say ok fair play we remain. Get real.

Simple, the second referendum doesn’t have remain as an option, just the Boris deal an no deal??"

"Reading the comments it’s easy to see why this situation is so messed up.

100% of those that voted in the referendum agree that they want to be equal or better off to the current position as members of the EU. Everyone that voted to leave did so because they were told they would be better off. Everyone that voted to remain did so because they were either happy with the status quo or did not believe that it was possible to do better outside the EU.

Zero people voted to leave requesting to be worse off, because the leave campaign gave express assurances that this would not be the case.

There is NO MANDATE for any leave with lesser damage. The only mandate from the referendum is for leave with deals in place to be at least no worse off."

I voted leave I thought long and hard and decided even if I'm worse off even losing my job it was worth it so don't think it's 100%

It’s also deliciously entertaining.. yeah great mentality the economy stagnating nothing getting done but pleased its great amusement for you.

You have to laugh ? Leave voters were warned this would happen, some were stupid, some were naive , all were lied to, they have noting to complain about . "

Leave voters were told, vote leave and we have two years to negotiate a deal or leave with no deal on wto rules. The only thing leave voters were lied to about is when all parties said they would accept the result. Here we are three years on and not left yet... why? Not because of the negotiations, because it was stated before the vote a deal in two years or no deal, but because those that said they would respect the result are blocking it at every turn. I don’t want a GE because I don’t know who I would vote for. I can’t vote for the people I have done since I had the right to vote as they have disrespected my brexit vote. I won’t vote tory, so I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place, splitting the brexit vote and voting for a brexit party hoping that they and the tories would get a majority to get brexit through and that the brexit party could push the tories into other domestic policies that benefit the whole population and not just the richer portion.

It’s also deliciously entertaining.. yeah great mentality the economy stagnating nothing getting done but pleased its great amusement for you.

You have to laugh ? Leave voters were warned this would happen, some were stupid, some were naive , all were lied to, they have noting to complain about .

Leave voters were told, vote leave and we have two years to negotiate a deal or leave with no deal on wto rules. The only thing leave voters were lied to about is when all parties said they would accept the result. Here we are three years on and not left yet... why? Not because of the negotiations, because it was stated before the vote a deal in two years or no deal, but because those that said they would respect the result are blocking it at every turn. I don’t want a GE because I don’t know who I would vote for. I can’t vote for the people I have done since I had the right to vote as they have disrespected my brexit vote. I won’t vote tory, so I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place, splitting the brexit vote and voting for a brexit party hoping that they and the tories would get a majority to get brexit through and that the brexit party could push the tories into other domestic policies that benefit the whole population and not just the richer portion."

The basic problem here is and I will say it again........... and again is no matter what your political view is the Brexit referendum is the elephant in the room because it should have had 3 boxes and a 2nd preference. The politicians continue this charade that it's their Politics that will solve the issue. If you remove the politicians from the equation the basic Ballot paper was........... A Leave with a deal or , B Leave with no deal or C Remain with David Cameron's remain deal. A general election potentially does not solve the basic problem if as we had in 2017 we end up with another hung parliament.

Teresa May was heading for a landslide right up until the week before the 2017 election but then Labour with their Master stroke realising they couldn't win Promised our youngsters a pot full of gold which swung a big chunk their way. Who is to say the same thing will not happen again.

Some people would argue that the referendum was a Tory Construct, but the electoral commission has the opportunity to draft the wording of a referendum which by tradition is 2 boxes and then Parliament votes to accept it. Why didn't those Tory rebels like Ken Clarke or Dominic Grieve see this coming.

What this dumb ass's organisation didn't consider is that actually leave with a deal and leave with no deal were actually a split vote and 2 completely different things. This is what history tells us now so really there should be a rerun with 2nd preference being the method to decide the final winner. I'm not saying that is what will happen. I personally accept we should leave with the deal any, any old deal because that is the only logical way out of this impasse if we don't have another properly considered vote.

Because of this gross error we can always get our begging bowl out later and say that we're really sorry for all the trouble we've caused but some daft twat forgot to do a proper referendum and dropped us right in it.

So a general election is not the answer because if you vote Tory you could potentially be delivering a no deal Brexit into Boris's hand. I would trust him about as far as I can spit, and I am a good spitter.

Bristol East

I imagine Labour HQ is looking forward to Dispatches on Channel 4 tonight.

Lots of material for an election campaign based on saving the NHS from the clutches of Trump and big pharma in the US.

Channel 4 at 8.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

oh well.... bring on december 9th....

lets see if the tories "take the bait".....

p.s the reason why the 9th and not the 12th is super smart by the lib dems is that

a) it shuts down the WAB from coming back... so johnson will have to run on "this deal"

b) that is the last week of the university term... and they are still likely to be in their towns on the monday..... than they would be on the thursday...

which means the lib dems will have better shots in places like leeds north west or sheffield hallam for example

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"Mr Corbyn previously said he would vote for an election once a No Deal Brexit had been ruled for the next few months, but the party has suggested in recent days that the government must rule out a disorderly departure at any point."

So.... JC wanted to wait until a "No Deal" Brexit was off the table, but now looks like he's running scared again, and using any means necessary to avoid one.

""Mr Corbyn previously said he would vote for an election once a No Deal Brexit had been ruled for the next few months, but the party has suggested in recent days that the government must rule out a disorderly departure at any point."

So.... JC wanted to wait until a "No Deal" Brexit was off the table, but now looks like he's running scared again, and using any means necessary to avoid one."

. Labour are not scared of a General Election , they are scared of a no deal Brexit , as we should all be , unless of course we are the super rich .,

Bristol East

It looks like we default now to a No Deal exit on January 31, unless a withdrawal agreement is ratified before then.

The withdrawal agreement takes us into a transition phase.

It remains the position, under the terms of both withdrawal agreements, that the agreement on the future relationship - trade and all the other bilaterals - must be completed by December 31, 2020, when the transitional arrangement expires.

Failure to complete by then, and in the absence of an extension to the transition agreed by both sides, means a WTO exit.

Given the length of time it is taking to agree the terms of a divorce, it seems extraordinarily ambitious to expect the next phase to be agreed and ratified in the space of 12 months.

The greatest risk is public fatigue becomes so great the extremists get their way.

Labour could be pushed down to 3rd or 4th party after the next election. If they had direction and a proper leader they'd win by a landslide.

""Mr Corbyn previously said he would vote for an election once a No Deal Brexit had been ruled for the next few months, but the party has suggested in recent days that the government must rule out a disorderly departure at any point."

So.... JC wanted to wait until a "No Deal" Brexit was off the table, but now looks like he's running scared again, and using any means necessary to avoid one."

We had a GE in 2017, the people voted or you could say it was the ‘will of the people ‘ , why would we need another one

The Fixed Term Parliament Act was established after the 2010 General Election , that parliament lasting until 2015 , the 2015 parliament should actually last until 2020 with the 2017 parliament lasting until 2022 , it's what the people voted for ,,

"The Fixed Term Parliament Act was established after the 2010 General Election , that parliament lasting until 2015 , the 2015 parliament should actually last until 2020 with the 2017 parliament lasting until 2022 , it's what the people voted for ,, "

Exactly, and we all know you can’t change your mind once you have voted . The will of the people must be respected

"The Fixed Term Parliament Act was established after the 2010 General Election , that parliament lasting until 2015 , the 2015 parliament should actually last until 2020 with the 2017 parliament lasting until 2022 , it's what the people voted for ,,

Exactly, and we all know you can’t change your mind once you have voted . The will of the people must be respected "

. Not forgetting that after the EU referendum , The Tory party held a vote for a new leader but then decided they didn't quite approve of their own choice so had another vote ,,, one rule for the tories another rule for everyone else !!!

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Give us, an election now. Get rid of all the dross we have in Parliament. We, will remember them. They have been a, total disgrace,the worst bunch there has ever been

Why does Boris want to limit the student vote.

It’s very dictatorial.Is Cummings that scared of a few million educated students....

It’s telling..

Bristol East

"No, no, you cannot change your mind about the referendum - we must respect the will of the people"

vs

"We want you to vote again for the third time in four years because we don't like the will of the people."

The public does not like snap elections, as Mrs May discovered.

We're all Brendas from Bristol now.

» Add a new message to this topic