FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Will the government sort the underlying problems?

Will the government sort the underlying problems?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *olly_chromatic OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Leave or stay; conservative, labour or liberal; does anyone believe that any government - whichever colour it may be - has any intention to do anything about the underlying problems of our society? Are they going to address the concerns and needs of ordinary people?

It's very obvious that whatever reasons made people vote whichever way they did in the referendum, politicians of all flavours have done sod all over the last few years to fix those problems. Instead the result has just been used as a weapon for power grabs, propaganda, lying, cheating, profiteering.

Whether we leave or stay, is the ultimate result going to be just a big "fuck you, we're the final winners" from government to everyone in the country? Or can we expect that there will be changes to help sort out the real problems and start to mend the divisions in society?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Stockport

For the record, in my lifetime i have voted liberal, conservative, labour and green at different times. I have no blind loyalty to any party or any politician.

I have generally voted in whichever way i felt might lead towards honest politicians working to help the country as a whole. I have almost always been utterly dismayed by the results and disappointed by the venality and often open dishonesty of those rising to power.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Fixing underlying problems generally costs lots of money.

Brexit is slowly bleeding much needed money from our economy.

If we have less money then underlying issues get left because of lack of funding.

Brexit especially a hard Brexit will lose the economy even more money.

That's more areas of spending that will remain underfunded.

Leavers say remainers only care about the economy / money while the idea of Brexit had nothing to do with the economy.

So if people want to hard Brexit then their voting for economic hardship.

Underlying issues cannot be addressed while we're in a cycle of self inflicted economic harm.

You either want to try and fix funding or you don't.

I do but more people voted not too.

Stockport

"Fixing underlying problems generally costs lots of money.

If we have less money then underlying issues get left because of lack of funding.

Leavers say remainers only care about the economy / money while the idea of Brexit had nothing to do with the economy.

Underlying issues cannot be addressed while we're in a cycle of self inflicted economic harm.

I do but more people voted not too. "

But if we had the funding, will the government of the day have any will to spend it wisely? As far as i can see, all the past few governments (say for the last 30 years) have been more keen to give it away to their rich mates, or start wars, or spaff it up against the wall. While pointing are whichever latest bogeyman they have largely been responsible for creating and saying "wasn't us, look at those nasties there".

Stockport

Bump

"Fixing underlying problems generally costs lots of money.

I do but more people voted not too.

But if we had the funding, will the government of the day have any will to spend it wisely? As far as i can see, all the past few governments (say for the last 30 years) have been more keen to give it away to their rich mates, or start wars, or spaff it up against the wall. While pointing are whichever latest bogeyman they have largely been responsible for creating and saying "wasn't us, look at those nasties there"."

That's very true

No, politicians ceased being about even remotely fixing things 40 years ago, today there merely token characters installed by global institutions and global corporations, world Bank, UN, WTO, bank of settlements, IMF, EU, NAFTA...

The real players in the game are NOT Boris or Jeremy.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"

The real players in the game are NOT Boris or Jeremy."

I agree about de Pfeffel and the Tories.

However JC might just surprise you.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"

The real players in the game are NOT Boris or Jeremy.

I agree about de Pfeffel and the Tories.

However JC might just surprise you."

Yeah right, I’ve heard it all before.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

Sad to say. The current situation is unfixable. Even with a general election, or even another referendum.

Until we abide by the constitution.

And all politician are held accountable to what they say, and promises that they make. And the lies they spew. For their own self interest.

"Sad to say. The current situation is unfixable. Even with a general election, or even another referendum.

Until we abide by the constitution.

And all politician are held accountable to what they say, and promises that they make. And the lies they spew. For their own self interest.

"

I don't think there is a way to fix the country with politics alone.

We need better education, and we need to find a way to teach people to think analytically about what they see and hear. There will always be some people who believe that the world is flat or that Brexit is a good idea for anyone except the ultra rich.

We need to step back and look at what do we want for the country. Do we want to be living in a more sustainable, richer, fairer, happier, healthier, compassionate society? What's important. And then figure out how to achieve that with a reasonable balance. Sure people will still say stuff like "we want out. End of." Etc. But we should focus on education and providing information to these people.

None of this will happen. And we will continue to be flushed down the brexit toilet so that Johnsons family can make some money and continue to avoid paying taxes.

"No, politicians ceased being about even remotely fixing things 40 years ago, today there merely token characters installed by global institutions and global corporations, world Bank, UN, WTO, bank of settlements, IMF, EU, NAFTA...

The real players in the game are NOT Boris or Jeremy."

Steady on. You almost sound like a remainer!

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"

We need better education, and we need to find a way to teach people to think analytically about what they see and hear. ."

Absolutely.

If we pour money into anything, it ought to be education.

That is where innovation, competition and growth will come from.

The UK lags behind. Indeed, Europe does.

Because we do not invest in education.

I saw a report 2 or 3 years ago that shocked me.

Almost half the people leaving school at 16 do so with the numerical and language skills expected of an 11-year-old.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"

We need better education, and we need to find a way to teach people to think analytically about what they see and hear. .

Absolutely.

Almost half the people leaving school at 16 do so with the numerical and language skills expected of an 11-year-old.

"

One if the problems is we still apply 19th Century politics to 21st Century problems.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

A parliamentary candidate elected by their constituents, seem to be a law unto themselves.

If they cross the floor. or ignore the people that voted them in.

Then they should be deselected by a committee of 12 honest men and women. Who they are supposed to represent.

A recall procedure like in some eu countries.

That should sort the buggers out.

Stockport

"A parliamentary candidate elected by their constituents, seem to be a law unto themselves.

If they cross the floor. or ignore the people that voted them in.

Then they should be deselected by a committee of 12 honest men and women. Who they are supposed to represent.

A recall procedure like in some eu countries.

That should sort the buggers out. "

Dunno where you're going to find those 12 honest men and women...

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"For the record, in my lifetime i have voted liberal, conservative, labour and green at different times. I have no blind loyalty to any party or any politician.

I have generally voted in whichever way i felt might lead towards honest politicians working to help the country as a whole. I have almost always been utterly dismayed by the results and disappointed by the venality and often open dishonesty of those rising to power."

Anything they say cannot completely come true because life and circumstances change all the time.

With all parties take what they say devide by 4 and if they do 25% of what they say that is good going.

Every party will tell lies and exaggerate although it fashionable propaganda to make Boris out to be worse than the others.If you have half a brain you know this not true but I guess most do not

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

We need better education, and we need to find a way to teach people to think analytically about what they see and hear. .

Absolutely.

"

» Add a new message to this topic