FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Safe Seat ! Is it worth voting ?

Safe Seat ! Is it worth voting ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My heart says always vote !

But where I live a Donkey could stand for labour and win !

This is why I back Percentage voting !

Unless I vote Labour wich I never will or move to another location my Vote doesn’t mean a thing !

This really should be sorted !

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ky19Man  over a year ago

Plymouth

I believe it's always worth voting. If none of the top 3 tickle your fancy as is the case with me, I'd still vote for a minor party.

The system relies on people not bothering voting. Which is why I think "None of the above" would be a good idea on the ballot.

I'm never a believer of "it doesn't make any difference" as a life principle in general.

I strongly believe in voting but under our system the vast majority of votes just don’t count !

That’s the problem !

If a party gets 5 percent of the vote they should get 5 per cent of the seats !

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

VOTE!

EVERYONE VOTE!

I don't care who you vote for or if you draw a cock and balls on your ballot paper. JUST USE YOUR VOTE!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Or not vote.

That's the beauty of our country, people have the choice to do either

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I am still undecided on who to vote for.

Do I want to suffer with another 5 years of a Tory government? With an idiot in power, who wants a hard brexit

Or Do I want to suffer with 5 years of a labour government? With an idiot in power, who wants a soft brexit

It like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

I would vote for a third party, but I’d feel on a matter this important, I’d rather not waste my vote.

"I am still undecided on who to vote for.

Do I want to suffer with another 5 years of a Tory government? With an idiot in power, who wants a hard brexit

Or Do I want to suffer with 5 years of a labour government? With an idiot in power, who wants a soft brexit

I would vote for a third party, but I’d feel on a matter this important, I’d rather not waste my vote.

"

That’s my problem my vote just won’t count !

I want to vote and I want it to matter !

"VOTE!

EVERYONE VOTE!

I don't care who you vote for or if you draw a cock and balls on your ballot paper. JUST USE YOUR VOTE!

"

I will vote ! It’s just frustrating that it won’t count !

moston

Mr Suit and Aber. Do me a favour, go read what JC has to say and what Labour Party policy is and then form your opinions. Rather than listening to what some third party says JC says and what Labour Party policy is. I expect you will find significant differences between the two.

If having read/listened to the man you still have the same opinion of him and Labour fair enough. but take it from me once election law becomes active all those stories that have led you to believe JC is a moronic Antichrist will disappear as pundits, journalists, media editors, owners and politicians become subject to criminal sanctions if they knowing lie about electoral candidates or parties.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Yes, it is a peculiarity of the system used in General Elections that the votes of many people do not count beyond the boundary of the constituency.

To be fair, though, people were asked if they want to change it and most said No.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"My heart says always vote !

Unless I vote Labour wich I never will or move to another location my Vote doesn’t mean a thing !

This really should be sorted !"

Vote mate there could be a few thousand who think the same and if you dont try to change things nothing will change.

Protest vote for the Greens Mr suit .

It makes sense..

I used to live in a constituency that was Tory back since the early 80s. And they always won by a landslide. They have 4 or 5 times the number of votes of their nearest rivals.

In the last election that was completely flipped to a labour seat.

Things can change. The voting system is imperfect. But voting still helps your chosen party, if their share in the vote increases everytime then there is a chance.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

It's a common problem. FPTP renders a lot of people's vote pointless.

If you live in Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland, your vote means even less in determining the outcome of a GE. Although, given the relatively new, more fractured nature of UK politics, that may be less true than usual.

That said, you should always vote. If only to have the right to question the result.

"VOTE!

EVERYONE VOTE!

"

But remember. If you're voting Tory, UKIP or Brexit party. You need to go to the polling station on the 13th to register your vote.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I’m in a Tory Stronghold and to be fair to him he does a decent job and is a very visible presence in the community.

I’m out the country so applying for a postal vote and will decide on policy not personality.

Hopefully all blown over by the time I come back and we stay in the EU

"Yes, it is a peculiarity of the system used in General Elections that the votes of many people do not count beyond the boundary of the constituency.

To be fair, though, people were asked if they want to change it and most said No.

"

But PR true percentage ie 10 percent of national vote equals ten percent of MP s was never on Offer !

It was a con truck that sadly has left many people including you think PR was voted on !

"Protest vote for the Greens Mr suit .

It makes sense.. "

Total respect of the greens !

I wouldn’t vote for them but it is a Travisty that they are not truly represented !

It makes sense..

I wouldn’t vote for them but it is a Travisty that they are not truly represented !"

1 million brits voted green they get 1 MP..

That sucks..It’s one of the reasons you get groups like Extinction Rebellion.. One solitary green voice in parliament in the age of climate change is a travesty...

Viva la revolution

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

If you do not vote do you have the right to complain?

Where I live was once one of the safest tory seats in the country,now a labour seat ,was marginal but not as much as it was.This is a good thing that people do change minds or reinforce the current MP so yes we should vote.

The thing is we should think about who we vote for not just blindly follow one party all our lives.

I do however respect peoples right not to vote

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

This really should be sorted !Vote mate there could be a few thousand who think the same and if you dont try to change things nothing will change."

Exactly this

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

It makes sense..

I wouldn’t vote for them but it is a Travisty that they are not truly represented !

That sucks..It’s one of the reasons you get groups like Extinction Rebellion.. One solitary green voice in parliament in the age of climate change is a travesty...

Viva la revolution "

didn’t ukip get 4 million votes andonly 3mps bob lol

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

and i think this is why you are going to see some weird results in weird places as people are going to be more inclined to vote tactically.....

Hopefully under a fair pr system thier would be something for everyone and no reason not to vote !

It makes sense..

Viva la revolution didn’t ukip get 4 million votes andonly 3mps bob lol"

Yes!

That’s why PR is necessary it will change the political landscape forever.Everyones vote will count..

The only option for parliament would be to compromise .

Bristol East

Yes, in the 2015 General Election, Ukip won 3.8m votes, the Greens won 1.1m votes, but each obtained only one seat in the new House of Commons.

The SNP, by contrast, polled 1.4m votes and obtained 56 seats.

It makes sense..

Viva la revolution didn’t ukip get 4 million votes andonly 3mps bob lolYes!

That’s why PR is necessary it will change the political landscape forever.Everyones vote will count..

The only option for parliament would be to compromise ."

You’ve probbally nailed the reason it hasn’t happened !

Also the ignorance of our system worry’s me , I can’t believe so many people think we’ve had a referendum on PR ! We didn’t ! We Havnt !

Hate to say it but I bet if you did a poll on the streets asking people how many seats in a parliment of 500 would a party get if they got 50 per cent of the vote ?

Loads of people would wrongly assume 250 seats !

Wich of course should be the Answer !

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"

It is my opinion the third opinion is not wasted

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Yes, in the 2015 General Election, Ukip won 3.8m votes, the Greens won 1.1m votes, but each obtained only one seat in the new House of Commons.

"

the SNP comparison is not a fair one to make as they only contest seat with a grand total of 5 million voters.....

if you want to make a case that a party who get a 40% share should not be able to mop up a majority, thats a different question and arguement

both labour and conservatives have racked up huge majorities with a 35-40% share of the vote

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

"

I think you're stuck in the same boat I am. Richard (vacuous Tory yes man) Graham is also my MP and I want him out! By choice I would vote for the Libdem Revokers but they have no chance here I think that I am going to have to hold my nose and vote Labour despite not liking some of their policies

Bristol East

"

the SNP comparison is not a fair one to make as they only contest seat with a grand total of 5 million voters.....

if you want to make a case that a party who get a 40% share should not be able to mop up a majority, thats a different question and arguement

both labour and conservatives have racked up huge majorities with a 35-40% share of the vote"

I think it underlines the point that a General Election is actually 650 local contests rather than a national count.

Total share of the popular vote is irrelevant at Westminster. The only thing that counts is seats out of 650.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Always vote, as our freedoms and rights are hard won and at threat. Positions and seats do change and current majorities are at risk of complacency of voters doing nothing.

Any vote for an alternative holds power for the future too, with influence on upcoming votes that may occur in a varied environment.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"VOTE!

EVERYONE VOTE!

"

Absolutely this

Widnes

"

It's never a waisted vote to vote for what you believe in. It may not change the result in your constituency but it does make a difference to the strength of a party's mandate.

Widnes

"Mr Suit and Aber. Do me a favour, go read what JC has to say and what Labour Party policy is and then form your opinions. Rather than listening to what some third party says JC says and what Labour Party policy is. I expect you will find significant differences between the two.

If having read/listened to the man you still have the same opinion of him and Labour fair enough. but take it from me once election law becomes active all those stories that have led you to believe JC is a moronic Antichrist will disappear as pundits, journalists, media editors, owners and politicians become subject to criminal sanctions if they knowing lie about electoral candidates or parties."

I would also suggest that they also read and find out what all the other parties are saying too if they really want to have a more informed opinion.

Widnes

This really should be sorted !Vote mate there could be a few thousand who think the same and if you dont try to change things nothing will change."

OMG! I've actually found something I agree with you on. LOL

moston

"I would also suggest that they also read and find out what all the other parties are saying too if they really want to have a more informed opinion."

Widnes

I think you're stuck in the same boat I am. Richard (vacuous Tory yes man) Graham is also my MP and I want him out! By choice I would vote for the Libdem Revokers but they have no chance here I think that I am going to have to hold my nose and vote Labour despite not liking some of their policies "

The only reason why the LibDems stand no chance is because people like you aren't voting for them. There is an argument for voting tactically but at the end of the day if you don't vote for what you actually want you really can't complain too much when you don't get it.

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

I think you're stuck in the same boat I am. Richard (vacuous Tory yes man) Graham is also my MP and I want him out! By choice I would vote for the Libdem Revokers but they have no chance here I think that I am going to have to hold my nose and vote Labour despite not liking some of their policies

The only reason why the LibDems stand no chance is because people like you aren't voting for them. There is an argument for voting tactically but at the end of the day if you don't vote for what you actually want you really can't complain too much when you don't get it.

"

Libdems have polled 5% here for the last two GE

"Yes, in the 2015 General Election, Ukip won 3.8m votes, the Greens won 1.1m votes, but each obtained only one seat in the new House of Commons.

both labour and conservatives have racked up huge majorities with a 35-40% share of the vote"

If we had PR people could vote SNP wherever they lived !

I’d even consider it to help them on thier way !

To be fair OP, I don't think that ANY seat can be considered 'safe' in this election.

There are a lot of 'safe' Labour seats in the north that are likely to change hands due to Labour backing the wrong horse (i.e. Remain) and throwing all their 'Leave constituency' MP's under the bus.

I've never accepted this concept of 'safe' seats anyway.

I will ALWAYS cast my vote for the candidate that has policies that I support and believe in.

If everybody did the same, instead of all this tactical voting bollocks then perhaps our politicians might show us all a little more respect and actually understand that their jobs are on the line if they don't deliver.

Far too many MP's are complacent and I really believe that this election is going to prove a massive wake up call for all of them

"To be fair OP, I don't think that ANY seat can be considered 'safe' in this election.

There are a lot of 'safe' Labour seats in the north that are likely to change hands due to Labour backing the wrong horse (i.e. Remain) and throwing all their 'Leave constituency' MP's under the bus.

I've never accepted this concept of 'safe' seats anyway.

I will ALWAYS cast my vote for the candidate that has policies that I support and believe in.

If everybody did the same, instead of all this tactical voting bollocks then perhaps our politicians might show us all a little more respect and actually understand that their jobs are on the line if they don't deliver.

Far too many MP's are complacent and I really believe that this election is going to prove a massive wake up call for all of them"

I hope you are right !

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Mr Suit and Aber. Do me a favour, go read what JC has to say and what Labour Party policy is and then form your opinions. Rather than listening to what some third party says JC says and what Labour Party policy is. I expect you will find significant differences between the two.

If having read/listened to the man you still have the same opinion of him and Labour fair enough. but take it from me once election law becomes active all those stories that have led you to believe JC is a moronic Antichrist will disappear as pundits, journalists, media editors, owners and politicians become subject to criminal sanctions if they knowing lie about electoral candidates or parties."

I’m not particularly fussed I am not big fan of either blowjob or Jeremy Christ.

They both represent the extremes of their respective parties. Both advocate change, and both will make other people suffer for the decisions they make, but in different ways.

Like I said choice between a shit sandwich and a giant douche.

According to all the pundits this could be a very interesting election. I suppose interesting to them is another hung parliament because it gives them endless material to waffle on about forever more and for MPs to be on the news forever more. If it's another hung one hopefully they will learn from the mistakes of this one and be a little bit more cooperative.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

It's never a waisted vote to vote for what you believe in. It may not change the result in your constituency but it does make a difference to the strength of a party's mandate.

"

This would be my perspective

» Add a new message to this topic