FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Housing crisis

Housing crisis

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Should we adopt The Netherlands solution for social and private sectors. Instead of investing in warm homes etc why not invest in more affordable social housing. Which will create jobs in all sectors which will in turn go back into the economy.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

There was a time when Labour and the Conservatives tried to outdo each other at elections as to who would build the most number of public housing units for rent.

Sure, that target-setting gave us some dubious tower blocks.

But people had a roof over their heads.

That post-war consensus ended with Thatcher, who saw property-ownership as the way to disconnect housing from Labour votes.

I have never understood this obsession with property ownership since.

[Removed by poster at 04/11/19 11:09:34]

Me either Netherlands have won awards with social housing working around communities and leisure facilities that very few people want to buy x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Should we adopt The Netherlands solution for social and private sectors. Instead of investing in warm homes etc why not invest in more affordable social housing. Which will create jobs in all sectors which will in turn go back into the economy. "

The trouble is that the high street has been dying on its arse for years now and many of the major pension funds invested in commercial property and businesses like sock shop which killed off interest by churning out formats that were out of date. If they had invested in building social housing like say the peabody trust did back in the 1890s then we could have avoided a lot of our current problems but unfortunately in the 1980s it was easier to relocate people to rundown seaside towns with dss support and sell off social housing at way below it’s value. Thatcher has a lot to answer for. The idea of warm homes is still a good one because it embraces the future of rising fuel costs as supplies dwindle rather than using dangerous methods like fracking to stave off making difficult decisions.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Should we adopt The Netherlands solution for social and private sectors. Instead of investing in warm homes etc why not invest in more affordable social housing. Which will create jobs in all sectors which will in turn go back into the economy. "

Yup, there is so much innovation in the world too, no need for anyone to be on the street either IMO.

"Should we adopt The Netherlands solution for social and private sectors. Instead of investing in warm homes etc why not invest in more affordable social housing. Which will create jobs in all sectors which will in turn go back into the economy.

The trouble is that the high street has been dying on its arse for years now and many of the major pension funds invested in commercial property and businesses like sock shop which killed off interest by churning out formats that were out of date. If they had invested in building social housing like say the peabody trust did back in the 1890s then we could have avoided a lot of our current problems but unfortunately in the 1980s it was easier to relocate people to rundown seaside towns with dss support and sell off social housing at way below it’s value. Thatcher has a lot to answer for. The idea of warm homes is still a good one because it embraces the future of rising fuel costs as supplies dwindle rather than using dangerous methods like fracking to stave off making difficult decisions."

Warm homes yes a good thing but just think how many houses can be built with that kind of money. Creating new jobs trades apprenticeship's and a good labour force x

Prefabricated homes can be built for £60k and buildings regs today require s high level of insulation.Its standard to want a well insulated new build home.

It’s all about location location and location...

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Plastic modular housing is available now. As strong as bricks but a lot cheaper.

You can't get a mortgage for one though.

"Prefabricated homes can be built for £60k and buildings regs today require s high level of insulation.Its standard to want a well insulated new build home.

It’s all about location location and location... "

So true Bob - land and property values are skewed out of all proportion to peoples income so although you could buy a prefab house for a knock down price the only way generally you could afford to put one up is by buying a house thats ready for demolition in an isolated or rundown area. I went to IKEA in Armhult Sweden 25 years ago when they were testing their first flat pack housing and it was mighty impressive - triple glazed aluminium clad windows, huge levels of insulation, low energy lighting and power, etc and all this before most people had even heard of a carbon footprint! Makes you wonder doesn’t it!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"There was a time when Labour and the Conservatives tried to outdo each other at elections as to who would build the most number of public housing units for rent.

That post-war consensus ended with Thatcher, who saw property-ownership as the way to disconnect housing from Labour votes.

"

Well I find property ownership wonderfull especially now mortgage is paid off,it should be easier to buy

"There was a time when Labour and the Conservatives tried to outdo each other at elections as to who would build the most number of public housing units for rent.

Well I find property ownership wonderfull especially now mortgage is paid off,it should be easier to buy"

Simple logic tells you that if there is a shortage of affordable property then its going to make property more expensive - thats basic capitalism Emma. The overvaluing of property has led to a consumer boom which sounds great until you take on board that people are spending rather than saving because the artificially low interest rates make it points investing in anything but property. At some point the pot will boil dry and a lot of very unhappy people will have nowhere to go, banks will fail and life will be hard. We have seen it all with the US subprime market and RBS so the only solution that I can see is a massive devaluation of land and property and a big social housing program - I guess the only other options are war or a pandemic because just carrying on borrowing is nonsensical.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Should we adopt The Netherlands solution for social and private sectors. Instead of investing in warm homes etc why not invest in more affordable social housing. Which will create jobs in all sectors which will in turn go back into the economy.

The trouble is that the high street has been dying on its arse for years now and many of the major pension funds invested in commercial property and businesses like sock shop which killed off interest by churning out formats that were out of date. If they had invested in building social housing like say the peabody trust did back in the 1890s then we could have avoided a lot of our current problems but unfortunately in the 1980s it was easier to relocate people to rundown seaside towns with dss support and sell off social housing at way below it’s value. Thatcher has a lot to answer for. The idea of warm homes is still a good one because it embraces the future of rising fuel costs as supplies dwindle rather than using dangerous methods like fracking to stave off making difficult decisions."

The main reasons for high house prices and lack of housing were planning authorities not allowing enough land to be zond for development and Nimby's complaining about new hosing next to them, this led to a huge rise in land values for land that was approved which leads to high house prices, now councils have been forced to one more land many developers are reluctant to build too many because they have expensive land banks to pay for and if they build too many house prices will fall, this also pisses of most home owners who feel they have lost money. Just look at news reports,house price rises are reported as good news whereas falls are reported as bad news for folk who have "lost" money. High house prices are bad news for most people uness you are lucky enough to inherit one, we need house prices to stay flat so those with high mortgages dont feel the are in negative equity and also allow the younger generation to get on the ladder, we need far more houses to be built to reduce the pressure for prices to rise

upton wirral

Well I find property ownership wonderfull especially now mortgage is paid off,it should be easier to buy

Simple logic tells you that if there is a shortage of affordable property then its going to make property more expensive - thats basic capitalism Emma. The overvaluing of property has led to a consumer boom which sounds great until you take on board that people are spending rather than saving because the artificially low interest rates make it points investing in anything but property. At some point the pot will boil dry and a lot of very unhappy people will have nowhere to go, banks will fail and life will be hard. We have seen it all with the US subprime market and RBS so the only solution that I can see is a massive devaluation of land and property and a big social housing program - I guess the only other options are war or a pandemic because just carrying on borrowing is nonsensical."

You may well be right I cannot deny I bought mine in the eighties at high interest rates but the world was more stable then.If your in London big problems I feel sorry for people today but we have to change things

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Interesting nuggets are going to be released quietly over the next few days... so here is one

How many new homes have been built under the torrid housing policy in the last 4 years

Remember they were aiming for 170,000

So.. according to the office of national statistics the answer is.....

Zero

Make of that what you will

Bristol East

200,000 starter homes for people under 40 by 2020, the Conservative Party manifesto promised in 2015.

National Audit Office says no money was budgeted for and the necessary legislation was never introduced.

Outcome: zero houses built.

That will take a bit of explaining.

Grantham

"200,000 starter homes for people under 40 by 2020, the Conservative Party manifesto promised in 2015.

National Audit Office says no money was budgeted for and the necessary legislation was never introduced.

Outcome: zero houses built.

That will take a bit of explaining.

"

Not quite. There was a budget of £2 billion for the first 60000 homes.

Legislation regarding planning never made it through Parliament.

Bristol East

Too busy with Brexit, were they?

Another Brexit win.

"Interesting nuggets are going to be released quietly over the next few days... so here is one

How many new homes have been built under the torrid housing policy in the last 4 years

Zero

Make of that what you will "

Strange, I've been on sites where over 2000 affordable homes/ rented accomodation for new owners have been completed and occupied in that period. There are plenty going up. I'm currently on the largest regeneration scheme in Europe, over 20,000 new homes on its own. Virtually all for social housing and affordable.

The government aren't building directly but they are helping schemes like this through to increase housing stock.

"Interesting nuggets are going to be released quietly over the next few days... so here is one

Zero

Strange, I've been on sites where over 2000 affordable homes/ rented accomodation for new owners have been completed and occupied in that period. There are plenty going up. I'm currently on the largest regeneration scheme in Europe, over 20,000 new homes on its own. Virtually all for social housing and affordable.

The government aren't building directly but they are helping schemes like this through to increase housing stock. "

So Europe gets 20.000 homes and we get 2.000 says it all really x

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

I absolutely think we should be building new homes to the highest eco-standard - producing poorly insulated houses is merely storing up costs for the future - but then this country has never been very good at looking beyond the short-term.

Zero

The government aren't building directly but they are helping schemes like this through to increase housing stock.

So Europe gets 20.000 homes and we get 2.000 says it all really x"

It's in London

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Zero

So Europe gets 20.000 homes and we get 2.000 says it all really x

It's in London "

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Recent figures show no new houses have been built just the land has been purchased. This is not good

Grantham

Recent figures show no new houses have been built just the land has been purchased. This is not good "

Other housing, including some social housing has been built on that land.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Hmm, sounds like the population is too great for the available housing.

upton wirral

We need social housing nd private housing we need both but definitely more social at the present time.

upton wirral

Zero

Make of that what you will "

Plenty of homes been bit round where I live ,fact

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

zero housing been built christ i dont know whats happening near me then they seem to be building on every available bit of space where i am.no new infastructure but plenty of propertys.got to the stage where it quicker for me to walk to work than catch the bus because of the amount of traffic

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

No houses?. Too many if you ask me - hence why so much flooding. Nowhere for the water to go as so much concrete and bricks. Plus the fact that we had steady state population of 55m for most of the 20th century till Blair opened the flood gates and now were full with 80m.

Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest.

"No houses?. Too many if you ask me - hence why so much flooding. Nowhere for the water to go as so much concrete and bricks. Plus the fact that we had steady state population of 55m for most of the 20th century till Blair opened the flood gates and now were full with 80m. "

Full?

The UK is around 10% urban.

Take the existing large towns and cities out of the equation and that already small figure plummets.

near ipswich

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest. "
The right to buy was a way of saving councils millions.A lot of the housing stock sold off needed updating single glazing no central heating etc the only problem with it was the money gained should have been spent building more.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"No houses?. Too many if you ask me - hence why so much flooding. Nowhere for the water to go as so much concrete and bricks. Plus the fact that we had steady state population of 55m for most of the 20th century till Blair opened the flood gates and now were full with 80m.

Full?

The UK is around 10% urban.

Take the existing large towns and cities out of the equation and that already small figure plummets."

Unfortunately we need lots of land for wind turbines. Land is at such a premium in Scotland for example that they're removing forests and planting wind turbines instead. Everywhere else is either a flood plain, a hill , or an arable farm.

upton wirral

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest. "
More uneducated rubbish,Thatcher was a long time ago

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest. More uneducated rubbish,Thatcher was a long time ago"

Speaking of education: have you heard of a subject called history? It teaches us the past influences the present. Just a thought.

Grantham

Which Party has sold the most council houses?

Which Party has built the most social housing?

The answers may surprise you.

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest. More uneducated rubbish,Thatcher was a long time ago"

Who’d have thunk it?! Actions have consequences.

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest.

More uneducated rubbish,Thatcher was a long time ago"

By the time Margaret Thatcher left office in 1990 1.5 million council houses were sold, by 1995 it was 2.1 million

So adjusting for population growth since 1995 the UK was down 2.1 million council homes, I wonder where we are now, more than 1995 or less?

near ipswich

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest.

By the time Margaret Thatcher left office in 1990 1.5 million council houses were sold, by 1995 it was 2.1 million

So adjusting for population growth since 1995 the UK was down 2.1 million council homes, I wonder where we are now, more than 1995 or less? "

As i have said before but no one seems to want to address it the majority of these houses sold off would have needed a great deal of money spent on them by councils to bring them up to date.No central heating,single glazed windows etc.There was nothing wrong with selling them in fact it was good businesses the only problem was the money earned from the sales should have been re invested in new housing stock.

So adjusting for population growth since 1995 the UK was down 2.1 million council homes, I wonder where we are now, more than 1995 or less?

As i have said before but no one seems to want to address it the majority of these houses sold off would have needed a great deal of money spent on them by councils to bring them up to date.No central heating,single glazed windows etc.There was nothing wrong with selling them in fact it was good businesses the only problem was the money earned from the sales should have been re invested in new housing stock. "

Yeah I see your point on upgrading them.

On one hand it gave people that normally wouldn't of had a chance at owning a home a home that they had lived in for many years at a low price but from my experience they were very very cheap, maybe too cheap.

One things for sure, we are not building enough affordable housing.

near ipswich

As i have said before but no one seems to want to address it the majority of these houses sold off would have needed a great deal of money spent on them by councils to bring them up to date.No central heating,single glazed windows etc.There was nothing wrong with selling them in fact it was good businesses the only problem was the money earned from the sales should have been re invested in new housing stock.

On one hand it gave people that normally wouldn't of had a chance at owning a home a home that they had lived in for many years at a low price but from my experience they were very very cheap, maybe too cheap.

One things for sure, we are not building enough affordable housing. "

yes they got a discount on how long they were tenents but if you take someone like my mum for instance paid about 80,000 for hers after living there for 30 years and at the time they were built cost around £300 the whole estate was getting run down front garden walls falling down metal framed windows, chimneys needing pointing, no central heating.Crime was rising when people had a chance to buy them improve them it changed the whole estate apart from creating a lot of work for plumbers, window and door makers/fitters,bricklayers etc it brought the whole area up and people had more respect for it.

One things for sure, we are not building enough affordable housing. yes they got a discount on how long they were tenents but if you take someone like my mum for instance paid about 80,000 for hers after living there for 30 years and at the time they were built cost around £300 the whole estate was getting run down front garden walls falling down metal framed windows, chimneys needing pointing, no central heating.Crime was rising when people had a chance to buy them improve them it changed the whole estate apart from creating a lot of work for plumbers, window and door makers/fitters,bricklayers etc it brought the whole area up and people had more respect for it."

That's very true, when people own their homes they have far more respect for it than many who don't.

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Actually I’m a bit surprised there is a housing crisis in UK with as many as 3 or 4 families living in 3 bed semis plus many of their relatives over on long holidays . They must get on so well together!

upton wirral

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest. More uneducated rubbish,Thatcher was a long time ago

Speaking of education: have you heard of a subject called history? It teaches us the past influences the present. Just a thought."

If you knew as much about history as me you would be a post grad.

upton wirral

So adjusting for population growth since 1995 the UK was down 2.1 million council homes, I wonder where we are now, more than 1995 or less? As i have said before but no one seems to want to address it the majority of these houses sold off would have needed a great deal of money spent on them by councils to bring them up to date.No central heating,single glazed windows etc.There was nothing wrong with selling them in fact it was good businesses the only problem was the money earned from the sales should have been re invested in new housing stock. "

"Thatcher and right to buy ultimately led us to the point where young adults can’t afford to fly the nest. More uneducated rubbish,Thatcher was a long time ago

Speaking of education: have you heard of a subject called history? It teaches us the past influences the present. Just a thought.If you knew as much about history as me you would be a post grad."

I'd love to see the title of the history classes you attended or books your read on the subject. "History. Stuff that happened a long time ago, so it's not important."

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The short-termist focus of uk governments, following privatisations in earlier decades, has badly let down the citizens of the UK, particularly from a housing perspective. It's tragic.

The only potential positive is that many homes could now be built with better standards and energy needs and materials as priorities. The conservatives had a good feed-in tariff for home solar once. They killed it for others.

This government will probably do little for social housing.

Massive demands, needs and opportunities exist and are clear. A thick, ideological government, driving round the bend, is where we are going.

upton wirral

Speaking of education: have you heard of a subject called history? It teaches us the past influences the present. Just a thought.If you knew as much about history as me you would be a post grad.

I'd love to see the title of the history classes you attended or books your read on the subject. "History. Stuff that happened a long time ago, so it's not important." "

Twisting what I say is very childish

Speaking of education: have you heard of a subject called history? It teaches us the past influences the present. Just a thought.If you knew as much about history as me you would be a post grad.

I'd love to see the title of the history classes you attended or books your read on the subject. "History. Stuff that happened a long time ago, so it's not important." Twisting what I say is very childish"

You're the one who said "Thatcher was a long time ago" and insulted somebody, calling their post "more uneducated rubbish".

When I suggested history influences the past, you responded "If you knew as much about history as me you would be a post grad".

Since you're clearly such a history expert and a titan of the field, I simply asked about the classes you've attended and the books you've read.

Edit. I meant history influences the present. Just to be clear.

I'd love to see the title of the history classes you attended or books your read on the subject. "History. Stuff that happened a long time ago, so it's not important." Twisting what I say is very childish

You're the one who said "Thatcher was a long time ago" and insulted somebody, calling their post "more uneducated rubbish".

When I suggested history influences the past, you responded "If you knew as much about history as me you would be a post grad".

Since you're clearly such a history expert and a titan of the field, I simply asked about the classes you've attended and the books you've read. "

You've exposed them for what they are so they will be upset

I'd love to see the title of the history classes you attended or books your read on the subject. "History. Stuff that happened a long time ago, so it's not important." Twisting what I say is very childish

Since you're clearly such a history expert and a titan of the field, I simply asked about the classes you've attended and the books you've read.

You've exposed them for what they are so they will be upset "

I'm sure the history professor is busily formulating an erudite response.

Grantham

"The short-termist focus of uk governments, following privatisations in earlier decades, has badly let down the citizens of the UK, particularly from a housing perspective. It's tragic.

The only potential positive is that many homes could now be built with better standards and energy needs and materials as priorities. The conservatives had a good feed-in tariff for home solar once. They killed it for others.

This government will probably do little for social housing.

Massive demands, needs and opportunities exist and are clear. A thick, ideological government, driving round the bend, is where we are going. "

How does the provision of social housing by a Conservative goverment fare against the last Labour goverment?

Why not cut down on the amount of kids people are producing today

maybe china was right in 1980

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Me either Netherlands have won awards with social housing working around communities and leisure facilities that very few people want to buy x"

Builders, property developers hate social housing, as there is no money in it. That is a long term investment, not a build and sell investment.

Also look at how many private landlords there are, renting out several properties. Instead of families owning them.

» Add a new message to this topic