FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Lucy Frazer

Lucy Frazer

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Her comments in parliament today after the queen’s speech referred to Cromwell killing Scots at Dunbar, Scots entering slavery and the subjugation of the nation. In reply, fellow MP’s laughed , as did the speaker.

Does this seem appropriate in view of the electoral result in Scotland? And, if a comment gloating about English subjugating, killing and taking slaves from a population of a country in anywhere else in the world would result in sacking and prosecution, should it not apply to this?

Many feel the Scots want independence for monetary and EU reasons. In truth, this behaviour sums up a lot of feeling about exactly why Scotland should be independent again.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjVJI0hJQ8o&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR28mabsFvlxJMet89S2zkbYz3RlZtIqe0Go74GiGZhnKpNYRDbPkbjtYck

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Seriously , I just wish the moaning Scots would fuck off into their own self made oblivion.

Sorry, where is the relevance of your statement? Say it was about the English subjugating and enslaving Ireland, as Cromwell did. Would that be acceptable? I’d suggest the reason the Scots want to F off from the UK is exactly because of these sentiments.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Seriously , I just wish the moaning Scots would fuck off into their own self made oblivion."

I know you are angry at everything and your life must be a mess but why are you against the people of Scotland ?

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Seriously , I just wish the moaning Scots would fuck off into their own self made oblivion."

And hopefully NI will follow suit too

By *ephirothMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Seriously , I just wish the moaning Scots would fuck off into their own self made oblivion.

And hopefully NI will follow suit too "

Not likely, they can't even run their own devolved assembly.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Her comments in parliament today after the queen’s speech referred to Cromwell killing Scots at Dunbar, Scots entering slavery and the subjugation of the nation. In reply, fellow MP’s laughed , as did the speaker.

Does this seem appropriate in view of the electoral result in Scotland? And, if a comment gloating about English subjugating, killing and taking slaves from a population of a country in anywhere else in the world would result in sacking and prosecution, should it not apply to this?

Many feel the Scots want independence for monetary and EU reasons. In truth, this behaviour sums up a lot of feeling about exactly why Scotland should be independent again."

You do realise this was in June 2015, and not yesterday! Remarks for which she immediately apologised for.

There's getting to be some very poor research on these forums lately.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Reminds of a story from the 2017 General Election.

Tory MP 'told schoolgirl to "f*** off back to Scotland" when she said she'd vote for independence'

A Tory MP told a girl to "f*** off back to Scotland" when she said she'd vote for independence if a second referendum was triggered.

James Heappey's outburst came as he addressed sixth-formers at the £12,000-a-year Millfield School in Somerset.

The Conservative, who is contesting the seat of Wells, asked the children for their views as they discussed the topic of Scottish independence. When one girl said she'd vote to leave the UK, Mr Heappey, 36, replied: "Why don't you f*** off back to Scotland?"

The teenager left the meeting and complained to her father, who supports the Scottish National Party.

Mr Heappey has since sent her a written apology and insists he was joking.

- Independent

"Seriously , I just wish the moaning Scots would fuck off into their own self made oblivion.

I know you are angry at everything and your life must be a mess but why are you against the people of Scotland ? "

He is angry because NI stays in the EU

Bristol East

Yes, he is the antithesis of unionism.

Thanks for pointing out was from 2015. However, my comments still stand.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Sorry, where is the relevance of your statement? Say it was about the English subjugating and enslaving Ireland, as Cromwell did. Would that be acceptable? I’d suggest the reason the Scots want to F off from the UK is exactly because of these sentiments."

Well at least Cromwell brought Parliamentary Sovereignty, so the people, not Kings could shape their own destiny. You wouldn’t have a parliament in westminster where scotland’s voice is heard right now if Cromwell quelled the royalists in both Scotland and Ireland.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Fuck sake, should the we all bring up what the normans did to the saxons everytime we mention France? Or what the Vikings did if we don't agree with the scandinavians? Leave history in the past where it belongs.

I agree. It is absolutely wrong to use the words she did in her maiden speech. My point is that a lot of Conservative MPs have not evolved from that sense of superiority and mastership. THAT’S the issue.

The other point is that England is not and never has been, conjoined to either France as it stands, or Scandinavia. (For the record, Scotland has, for a considerable time). The UK is supposed to be made up of four areas of equal standing, dependent on population, not England being Lord and subjugating the others. This is the 21st century.

belfast/holywood

I’ve watched BRAVEHEART 14,459 times.

salisbury

"I agree. It is absolutely wrong to use the words she did in her maiden speech. My point is that a lot of Conservative MPs have not evolved from that sense of superiority and mastership. THAT’S the issue."

I thought they were just laughing at an idiot making irrelevant points? Seemed fair enough.

She’s a barrister. Change the words to Jews or Irish- would you expect anyone to laugh?

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"She’s a barrister. Change the words to Jews or Irish- would you expect anyone to laugh?"

You pointed out that she's a barrister. Someone else pointed out that she apologised. If she as a barrister, apologised, do you not think she reflected on her words and and reasoned them compromised in some way?

Unless you know more about the law than she does then it looks like you are trying to point score on points that are out of date and seemingly not worth making - from a barrister point of view.

‘She’s a barrister’= she chose her words carefully.

She knew exactly how much offence this would cause but knew that she was in a cosy environment that would agree with her sentiment. Again, had it been Jewish or Irish, the words would never have been said.

I take it you’re a fully paid up member of the ‘blame placement’ brigade, where the blame for someone’s appalling action falls on those reporting it....and by default, you are agreeing with the indefensible.

Grantham

"Sorry, where is the relevance of your statement? Say it was about the English subjugating and enslaving Ireland, as Cromwell did. Would that be acceptable? I’d suggest the reason the Scots want to F off from the UK is exactly because of these sentiments.

Well at least Cromwell brought Parliamentary Sovereignty, so the people, not Kings could shape their own destiny. You wouldn’t have a parliament in westminster where scotland’s voice is heard right now if Cromwell quelled the royalists in both Scotland and Ireland."

To bring it into context, she did say that "it's not a course of action that I would take". Her words were made in a jocular fashion, someone took offence, and she apologised.

She is the MP that brought the "up skirting" bill before the Commons, which is now law.

So, again, substitute say, Irish or Jewish then make the same assertions.

I find it astonishing that anyone can defend this. It was disgraceful and worse, intensely insulting and demeaning. I’m not even Scottish and it offends me.

salisbury

Offense is taken, not given.

Actually, an offenCe is an act harmful not only to some individual but also to a community, society, or the state .

Forget petty banalities. The speech is indefensible and inexcusable. It shadows a frame of mind and perception about both countries and the entitlement of the Conservatives. It is shameful. End of.

By *he feckersCouple  over a year ago

rosyth

seriously way to alienate a good portion of fab and show yourself up

rosyth

And hopefully NI will follow suit too

Not likely, they can't even run their own devolved assembly."

they run it better than Westminster

rosyth

People wonder why a lot of Scots want independence well some of the comments on this and other threads show very good reasons - ignorance and stupidity in equal measures abound

Grantham

The best case for Independence that Holyrood could employ, is to immediately give up Barnett.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Fuck sake, should the we all bring up what the normans did to the saxons everytime we mention France? Or what the Vikings did if we don't agree with the scandinavians? Leave history in the past where it belongs. "

Nah! I think we should demand an apology and compo from the Italians for how they slaughtered Boudicca and her followers.

yumsville

"The best case for Independence that Holyrood could employ, is to immediately give up Barnett. "

Because he was English?

I’m sure they will, when Scotland can keep 100% of its revenue. Be much better off then.

"Fuck sake...we should leave history in the past.

Nah! I think we should demand an apology and compo from the Italians for how they slaughtered Boudicca and her followers. "

Well, it was an English MP who brought it up....bit like a German MP reminding the German Parliament of how they dealt with the Jews in the past and wouldn’t that be a handy way of dealing with them now?

And you do realise there was no England in Roman times? England wasn’t formed as a country until some time after Scotland became one.

"Fuck sake, should the we all bring up what the normans did to the saxons everytime we mention France? Or what the Vikings did if we don't agree with the scandinavians? Leave history in the past where it belongs.

Nah! I think we should demand an apology and compo from the Italians for how they slaughtered Boudicca and her followers. "

You’re thinking too small. England wasn’t a country for nearly a millennia later. Scotland was a country long before that.

Think more a German MP standing up and saying they had a really good way of subjugating Poland and an unwanted people in the past and why not repeat it. Not so amusing then. No trite put downs to that.

It was wrong to say it in Westminster but the point is, it’s a mindset of the Conservatives and drives their treatment of Scotland. She just said it out loud.

rosyth

"I’ve watched BRAVEHEART 14,459 times. "
whoop de fucking doo

belfast/holywood

"I’ve watched BRAVEHEART 14,459 times. whoop de fucking doo "

Yay !!!!!

Bristol East

"The best case for Independence that Holyrood could employ, is to immediately give up Barnett. "

Barnett came about because of the discovery of North Sea oil and gas in the early 1970s.

The SNP were making political headway with their "It's Scotland's oil" message.

The UK Establishment asked Barnett to come up with a way of redistributing some of that new revenue to Scotland, in order to neutralise the SNP.

Barnett himself says it was meant to be a temporary arrangement.

Grantham

"The best case for Independence that Holyrood could employ, is to immediately give up Barnett.

Barnett came about because of the discovery of North Sea oil and gas in the early 1970s.

The UK Establishment asked Barnett to come up with a way of redistributing some of that new revenue to Scotland, in order to neutralise the SNP.

Barnett himself says it was meant to be a temporary arrangement."

Exactly. The Scots get the highest spending per head at £11247, which is 17% above the average. We, in the East Midlands get the lowest at £8601, which is 10% below the average.

Time to redress the balance if the Scots are serious about Independence.

Bristol East

Spending per head is far higher in Northern Ireland than it is in Scotland.

belfast/holywood

"Spending per head is far higher in Northern Ireland than it is in Scotland."

Yeah and god knows where it all goes lol

"I’m sure they will, when Scotland can keep 100% of its revenue. Be much better off then."

You do realise that if Scotland won independence they would be expected to take their share of the national debt, which would pretty much bankrupt them on day one. If they refused then they would never be able to raise funds (by way of gilt sales) as they would have essentially defaulted on debt previously, therefore leaving no way to borrow money!!

So financially Scotland simply can't afford independence, regardless of views as to whether it's wanted or not. But that point is simply ignored!

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

"The best case for Independence that Holyrood could employ, is to immediately give up Barnett.

Barnett himself says it was meant to be a temporary arrangement.

Exactly. The Scots get the highest spending per head at £11247, which is 17% above the average. We, in the East Midlands get the lowest at £8601, which is 10% below the average.

Time to redress the balance if the Scots are serious about Independence. "

That per head figure really is frustrating. You do realise that Scotland's geography simply makes the country more expensive. The East Midlands is densely populated so less roads, fewer hospitals required, schools with classes at maximum capacity.

It made out that Scots are better off because of the spending which clearly isn't the case.

Your one valid point though is that Scotland must be able to afford this post independence.

scotland

"I’m sure they will, when Scotland can keep 100% of its revenue. Be much better off then.

You do realise that if Scotland won independence they would be expected to take their share of the national debt, which would pretty much bankrupt them on day one. If they refused then they would never be able to raise funds (by way of gilt sales) as they would have essentially defaulted on debt previously, therefore leaving no way to borrow money!!

So financially Scotland simply can't afford independence, regardless of views as to whether it's wanted or not. But that point is simply ignored!"

Scotland's national debt would be a proportion of the UK debt. Why would that % bankrupt Scotland but it hasn't bankrupted the UK?

yumsville

"I’m sure they will, when Scotland can keep 100% of its revenue. Be much better off then.

So financially Scotland simply can't afford independence, regardless of views as to whether it's wanted or not. But that point is simply ignored!

Scotland's national debt would be a proportion of the UK debt. Why would that % bankrupt Scotland but it hasn't bankrupted the UK?"

It doesn't bankrupt the UK as 4 countries working as 1 is better than a single country opting our of all responsibility (besides the fact that London earns the majority of UK wealth). Look at Brexit - the UK is paying back a negotiated £39bn to the EU. If there was a Scexit, there would probably be a similar agreement on Scottish debt.

scotland

Scotland's national debt would be a proportion of the UK debt. Why would that % bankrupt Scotland but it hasn't bankrupted the UK?

It doesn't bankrupt the UK as 4 countries working as 1 is better than a single country opting our of all responsibility (besides the fact that London earns the majority of UK wealth). Look at Brexit - the UK is paying back a negotiated £39bn to the EU. If there was a Scexit, there would probably be a similar agreement on Scottish debt. "

Well you just summed up why the UK should remain in the EU. 28 countries work better than just 1.

Seriously though, Scotland will have a debt. So will rUK. Having debt doesnt bankrupt. Not being able to service the debt does but to bankrupt the country would take time. Therefore your comment is not correct.

The Scottish deficit is of course too high but the point of independence would allow Scotland to be in control. Attract new businesses, EU migrants or even English Remainers.

Remaining in a post-brexit UK where treated like spongers doesn't help Scotland one bit. Being in control of the country within the EU gives many opportunities.

yumsville

It doesn't bankrupt the UK as 4 countries working as 1 is better than a single country opting our of all responsibility (besides the fact that London earns the majority of UK wealth). Look at Brexit - the UK is paying back a negotiated £39bn to the EU. If there was a Scexit, there would probably be a similar agreement on Scottish debt.

Well you just summed up why the UK should remain in the EU. 28 countries work better than just 1.

Seriously though, Scotland will have a debt. So will rUK. Having debt doesnt bankrupt. Not being able to service the debt does but to bankrupt the country would take time. Therefore your comment is not correct.

The Scottish deficit is of course too high but the point of independence would allow Scotland to be in control. Attract new businesses, EU migrants or even English Remainers.

Remaining in a post-brexit UK where treated like spongers doesn't help Scotland one bit. Being in control of the country within the EU gives many opportunities. "

Like Trump and his golf course? I'm not arguing the UK wont be worse off, no doubt it will be, but you asked why won't it bankrupt the UK - I gave answer.

Though if Scotland leaves the UK, it'll be a single unit paying back whatever it owes to England, Wales and N.Ireland. If you look at the Brexit example, no trade agreements are possible with other countries until the agreement is signed. Apply that to Scexit and your idea of a new economy, investment, deficit and debt reduction means there will be hesitancy and uncertainty lasting years. From currency to borders, passporting, N.Ireland trade, EU trade, debt, rights, services, aid, finance and on.

If you are telling me Scotland can set up a whole new economy to help restructure debt or manage it's deficit differently, then why hasn't it already done so. It has been able to attract investment as an EU member for the past however long? It already has a different tax system for business?. Any repayment aside, it will never have the financial centre of London.

Bristol East

"

If you are telling me Scotland can set up a whole new economy to help restructure debt or manage it's deficit differently, then why hasn't it already done so. It has been able to attract investment as an EU member for the past however long? It already has a different tax system for business?. Any repayment aside, it will never have the financial centre of London."

For the simple reason that the fiscal powers are reserved to Westminster.

What is this different tax system for business?

yumsville

"

If you are telling me Scotland can set up a whole new economy to help restructure debt or manage it's deficit differently, then why hasn't it already done so. It has been able to attract investment as an EU member for the past however long? It already has a different tax system for business?. Any repayment aside, it will never have the financial centre of London.

For the simple reason that the fiscal powers are reserved to Westminster.

What is this different tax system for business?"

It is a devolved government able to raise and distribute funds as it sees fit. The previous poster was intimating some form of new silicone valley, car manufacturing or gape harvesting type of income generation. If Scotland was able to attract that type business it would have already.

Business registered in Scotland get lower rates.

» Add a new message to this topic