FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > English independence

English independence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tephanj OP   Man  over a year ago

Kettering

If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own government, why can't England? They all ask for a referendum to leave the union but we can't. MPs from those country's vote on what happens to those of us in England but ours don't get a vote in there affairs.Does everyone else think this is unfair or is it just me

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I wish England would go independent. Means Scotland would.

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum.

Then propose it to your local MP. Under the current government anything could happen

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum. "

If Scotland becomes independent have you got a spare bedroom? Or even a garden I can put a tent up in lol

By *tephanj OP   Man  over a year ago

Kettering

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum. "
. There is no English government it's a UK government

[Removed by poster at 11/01/20 17:26:48]

Hillside desolate

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum.

If Scotland becomes independent have you got a spare bedroom? Or even a garden I can put a tent up in lol"

Yes, I'll be renting out pitches in my back garden

Hillside desolate

[Removed by poster at 11/01/20 17:28:03]

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum.

If Scotland becomes independent have you got a spare bedroom? Or even a garden I can put a tent up in lol

Yes, I'll be renting out pitches in my back garden "

Fantastic. I’ll start packing

I could be wrong but I think Scottish mps can’t vote on English matters in parliament if it doesn’t affect Scotland.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

England could certainly move towards this, with sufficient political will.

Should this bee in politics?

"England could certainly move towards this, with sufficient political will.

Should this bee in politics? "

Yes.

By *uesdaysfundayCouple  over a year ago

Sandbach

Has this not been pitched before? English MP's only voting for Engling only issues? It feels familiar

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

Are you a Daily Mail reader OP?

England want it all and always have.

"Has this not been pitched before? English MP's only voting for Engling only issues? It feels familiar "

When you say it like that makes me think of the league of gentlemen.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own government, why can't England? They all ask for a referendum to leave the union but we can't. MPs from those country's vote on what happens to those of us in England but ours don't get a vote in there affairs.Does everyone else think this is unfair or is it just me"

SNP MPs do not vote on legislation which only affects England. They could but they don't. The same is not true, for non-devolved issues, in reverse.

England can't leave the Union, though it does have the power to dissolve it any time it wants to.

It won't, of course, particularly when it comes to Scotland. No UK government would willingly give up a third of its country's landmass, all the territorial waters round Scotland, easy access to oil and a place to park Trident.

In Scotland, we are constantly reminded by worst sort of people that England has to offer, that we are subsidised by their taxes; as if we contribute none of our own.

For the tiny amount more per head that is spent on us, bearing in mind what you get in return, England is getting a fucking bargain - and the Government knows it. Even if you don't.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Ah England wouldnt do that on the Welsh would they? The welsh would be distraught if they couldnt pretend to be English anymore.

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum. . There is no English government it's a UK government "

Stop pointing out facts to the brainwashed it won't get you anywhere

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The question isn't independence. It's about devolving English domestic matters to English representatives.

Bristol East

A federal UK.

"If Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own government, why can't England? They all ask for a referendum to leave the union but we can't. MPs from those country's vote on what happens to those of us in England but ours don't get a vote in there affairs.Does everyone else think this is unfair or is it just me"

Think you’ll find SNP MPs don’t chose to vote in matters solely concerning England. They will, however, vote on English matters that have a direct bearing on Scotland, as is fair.

Or, at least, they did up until now. I don’t know what their intention this term is, bearing in mind present politics.

independence for northern England

Last time Scotland voted about independencw,Brussel threatend them they will leave EU automatically. Now EU would be delighted if Scotland says no to the UK. Typical ethics straight from Brussel. I was so stupid I did not move to the UK. EU is a pure bankrupt with their currency. You will see what happens this year. Wait for Italy. Ireland exits next.

Perhaps if a few generations ago England had minded it’s own business, and left its neighbouring countries, both near and far, alone and not bothered with ‘empire building’ then you’d have no need to ask your question.

I seem to have this vague recollection from history, that my own country had asked to ‘leave’ on many occasions down through the centuries....

We don't have a English government, hence no referendum

Bristol East

"Last time Scotland voted about independencw,Brussel threatend them they will leave EU automatically. Now EU would be delighted if Scotland says no to the UK. Typical ethics straight from Brussel. I was so stupid I did not move to the UK. EU is a pure bankrupt with their currency. You will see what happens this year. Wait for Italy. Ireland exits next."

False.

The EU stayed out of the referendum debate because it was a purely domestic issue.

The "Better Together" campaign - Labour and the Tories - warned a vote to leave the UK would automatically mean Scotland leaving the EU, too.

By *ering SeaMan  over a year ago

Penicuik

"Has this not been pitched before? English MP's only voting for Engling only issues? It feels familiar "

Indeed, EVEL. English vote for English law

Already in place.

"

False.

The EU stayed out of the referendum debate because it was a purely domestic issue.

The "Better Together" campaign - Labour and the Tories - warned a vote to leave the UK would automatically mean Scotland leaving the EU, too.

"

Maybe refresh your memory:

"The president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, has said that any new independent country would have to apply to join the EU."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-scotland-20666146/scottish-independence-barroso-warning-on-eu-membership

Bristol East

Hardly the "threat" you referred to.

More like a statement of the obvious - a newly-formed nation state can apply to join, just like any other nation state that meets the membership criteria.

The EU stayed out of the debate because it is an internal issue. Just as it stays out of the Catalonia issue.

The EU operates in the space between member states, not within the member state.

"Hardly the "threat" you referred to.

More like a statement of the obvious - a newly-formed nation state can apply to join, just like any other nation state that meets the membership criteria.

The EU stayed out of the debate because it is an internal issue. Just as it stays out of the Catalonia issue.

The EU operates in the space between member states, not within the member state.

"

Obviously EU did not stay out of it. Obviously they confirmed Scottish fears. Obviously it influenced the referendum. EU bodies very happily impact domestic issues and often claim more rights then they fave assigned by treaties.

Not sure you have pertinent issues at the time to hand?

I was in Scotland at the time and there was a huge amount of misinformation from the media

Interesting- on doing some further reading it seems the EU expect an interim deal on EU admittance within the timeframe of leaving the UK after a vote to leave since Scotland would be fast-tracked. So, not such a threat after all.

Membership of NATO would have to be agreed but since the Trident missiles and submarine base is in Scotland, that’s probably a given even with removal of nuclear bombs.

"England" isn't a unified thing. Arguably somewhat true of Scotland (Highlands Vs Lowlands etc) but England has distinct regions (Yorkshire, Cornwall, London etc) that it makes more sense to devolve to.

It makes no sense for an MP from Edinburgh or Exeter have a say over Brum, but not the other.

Federal UK now

Bristol East

"

Federal UK now "

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"Interesting- on doing some further reading it seems the EU expect an interim deal on EU admittance within the timeframe of leaving the UK after a vote to leave since Scotland would be fast-tracked. So, not such a threat after all.

Membership of NATO would have to be agreed but since the Trident missiles and submarine base is in Scotland, that’s probably a given even with removal of nuclear bombs."

Any chance of sharing your "further reading" please? It's my understanding that an independent Scotland would need to apply and adopt the acquis communautaire just like any other country, I haven't seen anyone from the EU commission admit to any fast track to admission.

I hate when people are too lazy to research something themselves as there’s also an element of the suggestion that it’s lies. That and I can’t copy and paste on this mobile.

Just do your own reading- it’ll take a nano second to get results from ‘Scotland fast track EU’.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

There is no official stance from the EU on whether Scotland would be allowed to be fast-tracked back into the EU.

There is lots of speculation that it would take a minimum of four years.

"I hate when people are too lazy to research something themselves as there’s also an element of the suggestion that it’s lies. That and I can’t copy and paste on this mobile.

Just do your own reading- it’ll take a nano second to get results from ‘Scotland fast track EU’."

All it takes is some half quote from an irrelevant old retired MEP from some obscure minor EU member state that anti EU / anti Indy Scotland bellends take as official EU policy.

Things will never change

Well, if it only took 17 months in total for Austria, Sweden and Finland to join, it’d take considerably less time for Scotland, seeing as it already aligns to EU acquis.

There are numerous quotes from EU officials and MEPs about the willingness to include Scotland and the speed at which it could be achieved. So long as there’s a will from the Scots, there should be no great issue.

Bristol East

I imagine it would require a referendum at some stage to obtain the mandate for a membership application.

Only fair, I’d guess. Ah politics.... expensive, divisive, infuriating and ultimately, unrepresentative of common weal

Turkey is joining the EU, how's that coming along

It’s not independence from England or the Union, it’s independence from Westminster. Where is Westminster?

The devolution measures were to allow Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales to adjudicate over matters which only apply to that respective country, on the basis that power was deemed to be too concentrated in Westminster, and not enough time was being spent in Parliament discussing such matters.

Even so, the powers that these assemblies have is borrowed from Parliament and can - in theory - be revoked.

There is an argument that MPs for Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales should not be able to vote on matters which concern England alone, which has been debated for many years. This is called the West Lothian debate (I think it’s West, anyway).

In any event, OP, I wouldn’t worry; before too long the Union will be broken and we’ll all be at the bottom of the ocean. But at least we’ll have that sovereignty that we never lost back, right?

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

I guess the nhs in England would be better without having to care for the Scots too. cardiac and diabetes care for Scotland must cost an arm and a leg.

Ah, the ignorance is stunning in that ??????

Scotland’s NHS far outperforms England’s so it’s a bit the other way around- people near the border are suddenly moving north in order to access care far quicker than they can get in the south.

salisbury

"Ah, the ignorance is stunning in that ??????

Scotland’s NHS far outperforms England’s so it’s a bit the other way around- people near the border are suddenly moving north in order to access care far quicker than they can get in the south."

Yeah i expect the funding is higher to try and keep them sweet.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"I guess the nhs in England would be better without having to care for the Scots too. cardiac and diabetes care for Scotland must cost an arm and a leg. "

Your point is off, it's understood that NHS England and Scotland operate differently, with local tax and representatives taking responsibility etc. Your comments are verging on targeting a different state to your own alongsite its citizens.

salisbury

"I guess the nhs in England would be better without having to care for the Scots too. cardiac and diabetes care for Scotland must cost an arm and a leg.

Your point is off, it's understood that NHS England and Scotland operate differently, with local tax and representatives taking responsibility etc. Your comments are verging on targeting a different state to your own alongsite its citizens. "

Independently you mean?

Ayrshire

"Well, if it only took 17 months in total for Austria, Sweden and Finland to join, it’d take considerably less time for Scotland, seeing as it already aligns to EU acquis.

There are numerous quotes from EU officials and MEPs about the willingness to include Scotland and the speed at which it could be achieved. So long as there’s a will from the Scots, there should be no great issue. "

Austria applied to join the EEC in July 1989, Sweden applied in July 1991 and Finland on March 1992.

All three finally joined theEU in 1995, where the 17 months from application accession comes from I do not know.

Let me correct you on another thing, Scotland complies with the acquis as part of the UK, if independent it would not comply with chapter 17 of the acquis, the one that deals with the monetary and economic policy.

And I did search and couldn't find any positive comment from the EU commission regarding a "fast track" for an independent Scotland.

England couldnt survive being independent would be bankrupt in a few years

By *ice__blokeMan  over a year ago

redcar

NO England does not want independence

"Not sure you have pertinent issues at the time to hand?

I was in Scotland at the time and there was a huge amount of misinformation from the media"

Misinformation by the media over decades paved the way for Brexit and has fashioned public perception to its requirements on many topics.

its all B.S anyway

even when you vote out.... your not out

#brexit

the media are there to sell stories/lies

the truth doesnt sell !

i remember this one head line few years back . "mum locks son in room full of snakes " i was like omfg . what they didnt tell you in that 1 head line was the snakes were his pets, in his bedroom .

mum locks son in bedroom ! doesnt quite have the same impact does it !

i know from close personal experiance its all 1 sided stories blown up to be really terrible ! to sell the newspaper or even to get you to watch it on the news

Bristol East

I think that's right - England doesn't want to go it alone, per se.

There is an under-current of nationalism, but nothing like the scale in other parts of the UK.

But there is a mood out there that perceives other parts of the union doing better out of it than England does.

The danger of that is that a "beggar thy neighbour" mindset sets in, which serves only to widen the fault lines.

The Conservative Party appears to have no answer to this, other than to stick its fingers in its ears and pretend none of this means anything.

It is clear both NI and Scotland are agitating for change.

What is the appetite for change in England? I don't know.

But I have no doubt change is needed and will happen.

The UK, constitutionally, is a complete dog's dinner.

Westminster can do one of two things:

a) Let others take charge of that change, e.g. the nationalist movements.

b) Take charge and seek to reinvigorate the UK constitutionally

The only way forward i can see that keeps the UK intact is a move to a federal structure.

Where domestic issues are devolved equitably across these islands in autonomous legislatures, and supra-national matters bring all four territories together in a UK-wide structure.

A federal UK, basically.

"..........There is an argument that MPs for Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales should not be able to vote on matters which concern England alone, which has been debated for many years. This is called the West Lothian debate (I think it’s West, anyway?"

I don’t know about the other nations but the SNP has a code whereby they do not vote in English matters that do not affect Scotland. As I remember, the problem is about voting on funding for say, the English NHS. This has a knock-on in Scotland with funding there being linked so they’d vote.

They’ve never voted, as far as I’m aware, on English matters with no link to Scotland

Bristol East

That's correct, yes.

They also refuse places in the House of Lords.

salisbury

[Removed by poster at 14/01/20 12:12:46]

salisbury

"..........There is an argument that MPs for Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales should not be able to vote on matters which concern England alone, which has been debated for many years. This is called the West Lothian debate (I think it’s West, anyway?

I don’t know about the other nations but the SNP has a code whereby they do not vote in English matters that do not affect Scotland. As I remember, the problem is about voting on funding for say, the English NHS. This has a knock-on in Scotland with funding there being linked so they’d vote.

They’ve never voted, as far as I’m aware, on English matters with no link to Scotland"

Oh, so England does support the Scottish nhs system. I guess those free prescriptions don't grow on trees.

Bristol East

"

Oh, so England does support the Scottish nhs system. I guess those free prescriptions don't grow on trees. "

The UK Treasury is not England.

By *ornyone30Man  over a year ago

ABERDEEN

"I could be wrong but I think Scottish mps can’t vote on English matters in parliament if it doesn’t affect Scotland. "

Correct. It's called even

English votes for English laws

ABERDEEN

"..........There is an argument that MPs for Scotland, N. Ireland and Wales should not be able to vote on matters which concern England alone, which has been debated for many years. This is called the West Lothian debate (I think it’s West, anyway?

They’ve never voted, as far as I’m aware, on English matters with no link to Scotland

Oh, so England does support the Scottish nhs system. I guess those free prescriptions don't grow on trees. "

Scotland's nhs budget is linked to the UK in that the more England spends the more Scotland can spend and vice versa if it's less. It's got nothing to do with England funding the Scottish nhs it's more to do with the block grant.

ABERDEEN

"I could be wrong but I think Scottish mps can’t vote on English matters in parliament if it doesn’t affect Scotland.

Correct. It's called even

English votes for English laws"

Evel. Auto correct lol

This reminds me of..The league of gentlemen

“This is a local shop, for local people, there's nothing for you here!”

ABERDEEN

I'm all for Scottish independence but also believe all the nation's if the union deserve the right to such a referendum. I bet there are loads of people out there wanting to see the back of Scottish scroungers" so why not start talking to your friends family and mps about English independence

stronger together ????

By *ancardiff7Man  over a year ago

Near Cowbridge

I fully support English independence

By *apiensWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

Google “West Lothian Question”. There’s 40-odd years worth of debate, comment, legislation, devolution and precedent dealing with the issue.

Now this may be a debate in itself, but basically us Irish consider that whole island to our east to be ‘England’... we don’t really differentiate that much.. the whole UK scenario really doesn’t register.

For years, decades and centuries we hated the lot of yez...

So from our point of view, the idea of ‘England’ wanting to become ‘independent’ is a bit of a laugh....

Independent from what ? An oppressor maybe... who ? The EU ?

Why on earth would you want independence ???

I could understand the Scots wanting independence, seeing as they were shat on for years (not as long as us, but that’s another story, and they gave up in the end)

The concept, from our point of view, is a bit daft !!

Ayrshire

The snp do indeed vote on matters that do not affect Scotland, two examples being fox hunting and Sunday trading that had no affect on Scotland.

Some advice, question anything and everything a nationalist says.

Except- both had a knock-on effect in Scotland that they were opposed to.

"Now this may be a debate in itself, but basically us Irish consider that whole island to our east to be ‘England’... we don’t really differentiate that much.. the whole UK scenario really doesn’t register.

So from our point of view, the idea of ‘England’ wanting to become ‘independent’ is a bit of a laugh....

I could understand the Scots wanting independence, seeing as they were shat on for years (not as long as us, but that’s another story, and they gave up in the end)

The concept, from our point of view, is a bit daft !!"

Interesting view point- but a viewpoint based on a lot of ignorance.

Scotland has been a united country longer than England and Ireland but from the 1000’s its larger neighbour has done everything in its power to dominate and subjugate it, often succeeding through wars, bribery and brutality. That’s the past.

I’d challenge your view the whole of Eire has no perception of the politics and Politics of the UK: I’ve found in my travels that other nations have a very good grasp of the reality, often better than some in the UK. I personally think a lot of that is due to media reporting outwith the UK (and that includes Eire), being more rounded , shall we say,

Bristol East

i read an estimate somewhere that conflict between England and Scotland, prior to the union of crowns in 1606 and political and monetary union in 1707, had resulted in some 500,000 fatalities over the preceding centuries.

By *ildb3rryWoman  over a year ago

Ratoath

[Removed by poster at 15/01/20 08:49:19]

Ratoath

Ireland was brutally colonised for hundreds of years. The government in the North of Ireland was hard won. From what I can see there is a misunderstanding of colonisation going on here. Marx and Engels said that the Irish proletariats were treated the worst of any of the colonised subjects and were subjected to cultural imperialism in the form of education, and rackrenting, which was a main factor of the cause of the great Irish Famine in which millions died from disease and were forced to emigrate. All motivated through deeply racist underlying beliefs

Bristol East

Yes, the brutality of the British is immortalised in many a song still sung today, in Ireland and in Scotland.

Ayr

[Removed by poster at 15/01/20 09:45:53]

Ratoath

Far more lasting impacts than the songs

The Irish were the only group of people in the whole of Europe to successfully fight clearances in the 1600-1800s, possibly because of a long history of peasant rebellion and organisation and the Church.

Clearances started in the lowlands of Scotland first, then the Highlands with little fight, because of the hierarchy and the Church- different one.

No point other than interest.

"Yes, the brutality of the British is immortalised in many a song still sung today, in Ireland and in Scotland."

The British are the Scottish and the Irish, do you mean the English?.

"Now this may be a debate in itself, but basically us Irish consider that whole island to our east to be ‘England’... we don’t really differentiate that much.. the whole UK scenario really doesn’t register.

The concept, from our point of view, is a bit daft !!"

Choo Choo , here comes the oppression train, all aboard for some hashtaging of why my life turned out shit from an events that's happened hundreds of years ago.

I blame the Romans

Ratoath

"

Choo Choo , here comes the oppression train, all aboard for some hashtaging of why my life turned out shit from an events that's happened hundreds of years ago.

I blame the Romans "

We only won our partial freedom 100 years ago and the impact of colonisation still lives on today.

Bristol East

"Yes, the brutality of the British is immortalised in many a song still sung today, in Ireland and in Scotland..

The British are the Scottish and the Irish, do you mean the English?."

No, I mean those who identified as British.

Plenty of Scots jumped on that bandwagon after political and monetary union and turned on those Scots who didn't identify as British.

Some of the most disturbing episodes of imperial rule were carried out by Scots.

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

"Ireland was brutally colonised for hundreds of years. The government in the North of Ireland was hard won. From what I can see there is a misunderstanding of colonisation going on here. Marx and Engels said that the Irish proletariats were treated the worst of any of the colonised subjects and were subjected to cultural imperialism in the form of education, and rackrenting, which was a main factor of the cause of the great Irish Famine in which millions died from disease and were forced to emigrate. All motivated through deeply racist underlying beliefs"

For many hundreds of years, ireland was part of the British Isles. There was no “Ireland” until partition. Only then was “Ireland”, “Ireland”. So Ireland has us Brits for being granted their Independence. And then they all fell out and started killing each other because they backed out what they had all agreed on. Michael Collins anyone ?. Naturally, us Brits had to hold on to the best bits so we kept hold of the north. Baked potato anyone ?. Love it with a good slice of Kerrymaid..

"

I blame the Romans

We only won our partial freedom 100 years ago and the impact of colonisation still lives on today. "

So you were born 63 years after, can you give us some detail of this oppression that's held you back?.

"

I blame the Romans

We only won our partial freedom 100 years ago and the impact of colonisation still lives on today. .

So you were born 63 years after, can you give us some detail of this oppression that's held you back?."

Fair play, it's taken you 14 hours to dream up whatever bollocks you think has repressed you so maybe 63 years wasn't enough for your own democratically elected Irish government to reverse?.

Or maybe your just addicted to being a victim?.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"Last time Scotland voted about independencw,Brussel threatend them they will leave EU automatically. Now EU would be delighted if Scotland says no to the UK. Typical ethics straight from Brussel. I was so stupid I did not move to the UK. EU is a pure bankrupt with their currency. You will see what happens this year. Wait for Italy. Ireland exits next."

In your dreams

The concept, from our point of view, is a bit daft !!

Interesting view point- but a viewpoint based on a lot of ignorance.

Scotland has been a united country longer than England and Ireland but from the 1000’s its larger neighbour has done everything in its power to dominate and subjugate it, often succeeding through wars, bribery and brutality. That’s the past.

I’d challenge your view the whole of Eire has no perception of the politics and Politics of the UK: I’ve found in my travels that other nations have a very good grasp of the reality, often better than some in the UK. I personally think a lot of that is due to media reporting outwith the UK (and that includes Eire), being more rounded , shall we say, "

My point was tongue in cheek to a degree. I just find it funny that England might want to be ‘independent’ given their history.

Just another little thing, and I don’t know the reason for it, but we virtually never say we are from ‘Eire’

Usually you only see it on postage stamps or coins... or maybe a bill from Revenue !

belfast/holywood

Ireland already voted to leave the EU. But the EU didn’t accept it and forced them to vote again

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Ireland already voted to leave the EU. But the EU didn’t accept it and forced them to vote again"

Ireland actually voted against two EU Treaties.

Bristol East

"Ireland already voted to leave the EU. But the EU didn’t accept it and forced them to vote again"

Are you going for the Fab record for Fake News?

belfast/holywood

Donald Trump has an 8 inch penis

belfast/holywood

Gretel TunaBurger wears men’s boxers made out of recently culled yak hair

belfast/holywood

"Ireland already voted to leave the EU. But the EU didn’t accept it and forced them to vote again

Ireland actually voted against two EU Treaties. "

Exactly

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum. . There is no English government it's a UK government "

But if Scotland, Wales and N Ireland do gain independence then we have de facto and English Parliament.

Bring it on??????

"Ireland already voted to leave the EU. But the EU didn’t accept it and forced them to vote again

Ireland actually voted against two EU Treaties. "

But they were then "threatened" by Brussels and told to vote again until they het it right. That's the core of EU democracy...and the main reason i eventually came down on the leave side.

Ireland actually voted against two EU Treaties.

But they were then "threatened" by Brussels and told to vote again until they het it right. That's the core of EU democracy...and the main reason i eventually came down on the leave side."

I still can't believe people are stupid enough to fall for this rubbish bullshit whipped up by the media when the whole facts are easily accessible online to actually learn something

Bristol East

"The English government doesn't want independence though, hence no referendum. . There is no English government it's a UK government

But if Scotland, Wales and N Ireland do gain independence then we have de facto and English Parliament.

Bring it on??????"

aka the Balkanisation of Britain

You could also say that Northern Ireland voted to leave the EU as well, but your English overlords bitch whipped you back into your box...

belfast/holywood

You could also say that Northern Ireland voted to leave the EU as well, but your English overlords bitch whipped you back into your box... "

As a geographical region of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland voted to remain. But also the village of Cubbington in Warwickshire voted to remain. Using the twisted remain logic, Scotland, Northern Ireland and cubbington should remain in the EU. These idiots can not grasp the fact that it was a nationwide vote , not a region, a city , a town or a village vote. How many times do these Neanderthals need to be reminded of the rules of the election. It’s like saying a goal in football that was disallowed for offside should stand cos you don’t believe in offside. Every PMQs, the little short fat idiotic SNP guy gets to his feet and blabs about Scotland being dragged out of the EU and being denied an independence vote. Fuck up you 2 time little fucking loser and sort out the mess that is Scotland

You could also say that Northern Ireland voted to leave the EU as well, but your English overlords bitch whipped you back into your box...

As a geographical region of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland voted to remain. But also the village of Cubbington in Warwickshire voted to remain. Using the twisted remain logic, Scotland, Northern Ireland and cubbington should remain in the EU. These idiots can not grasp the fact that it was a nationwide vote , not a region, a city , a town or a village vote. How many times do these Neanderthals need to be reminded of the rules of the election. It’s like saying a goal in football that was disallowed for offside should stand cos you don’t believe in offside. Every PMQs, the little short fat idiotic SNP guy gets to his feet and blabs about Scotland being dragged out of the EU and being denied an independence vote. Fuck up you 2 time little fucking loser and sort out the mess that is Scotland "

Wow....who’s been reading “how to win friends and influence people” today then?

Ayr

"Wow....who’s been reading “how to win friends and influence people” today then?"

Just treat him with the pity he deserves. He's got anger issues because the Queen shook hands with Martin McGuinness and Sinn Fein are in government where he lives. He feels betrayed and rage is his only outlet.

"Wow....who’s been reading “how to win friends and influence people” today then?

Just treat him with the pity he deserves. He's got anger issues because the Queen shook hands with Martin McGuinness and Sinn Fein are in government where he lives. He feels betrayed and rage is his only outlet."

Wise words as ever

ABERDEEN

As a geographical region of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland voted to remain. But also the village of Cubbington in Warwickshire voted to remain. Using the twisted remain logic, Scotland, Northern Ireland and cubbington should remain in the EU. These idiots can not grasp the fact that it was a nationwide vote , not a region, a city , a town or a village vote. How many times do these Neanderthals need to be reminded of the rules of the election. It’s like saying a goal in football that was disallowed for offside should stand cos you don’t believe in offside. Every PMQs, the little short fat idiotic SNP guy gets to his feet and blabs about Scotland being dragged out of the EU and being denied an independence vote. Fuck up you 2 time little fucking loser and sort out the mess that is Scotland "

Scotland is a country not a region.

belfast/holywood

"Wow....who’s been reading “how to win friends and influence people” today then?

Just treat him with the pity he deserves. He's got anger issues because the Queen shook hands with Martin McGuinness and Sinn Fein are in government where he lives. He feels betrayed and rage is his only outlet."

I feel betrayed ??.... ha ha - by who. The only people with anger issues are the Scottish nationalist losers who will NEVER get anywhere. Once a loser , always a loser . SNP questions at PMQs make my day. Their stupidity is breathtaking. Every week; the same crap. “This will be a once in a generation referendum”. Yes. That’s right Sturgeon- it was.

Ah, but generations are relative. It’s such a stupid mantra to have as a reason for refusing a referendum, especially as the phrase was often followed by ‘unless the position substantially changes’. And it has.

But I’m sure you know that. The phrase is simply a lazy way to refute a mandated opinion of the people- is that the best you can do? Parrot? Wait until it is the turn on NI. Then what?

belfast/holywood

"Ah, but generations are relative. It’s such a stupid mantra to have as a reason for refusing a referendum, especially as the phrase was often followed by ‘unless the position substantially changes’. And it has.

But I’m sure you know that. The phrase is simply a lazy way to refute a mandated opinion of the people- is that the best you can do? Parrot? Wait until it is the turn on NI. Then what?"

Nothing to do with me - it’s a fact.

As for NI. Totally different thing. Northern Ireland would never hold a referendum to be an independent country. If you are talking about a border poll, try reading the Belfast Agreement. The conditions are laid out there ,

It’s not a fact. It’s rhetoric and distortion of what was said as well as lazy and frankly, meaningless.

At some point, NI will wish to vote to join Ireland.

ABERDEEN

"Ah, but generations are relative. It’s such a stupid mantra to have as a reason for refusing a referendum, especially as the phrase was often followed by ‘unless the position substantially changes’. And it has.

But I’m sure you know that. The phrase is simply a lazy way to refute a mandated opinion of the people- is that the best you can do? Parrot? Wait until it is the turn on NI. Then what?

As for NI. Totally different thing. Northern Ireland would never hold a referendum to be an independent country. If you are talking about a border poll, try reading the Belfast Agreement. The conditions are laid out there , "

Tick tock your precious union is dying. After scotland, Wales will push for their independence and eventually Ireland will unite. Can't wait.

belfast/holywood

As for NI. Totally different thing. Northern Ireland would never hold a referendum to be an independent country. If you are talking about a border poll, try reading the Belfast Agreement. The conditions are laid out there ,

Tick tock your precious union is dying. After scotland, Wales will push for their independence and eventually Ireland will unite. Can't wait. "

Welsh Independence ??? Ha ha ha . Check the opinion polls. Scotland could never afford it. Doesn’t matter cos Johnson has told sturgeon to fuck away off lol. And as for NI - yep- it’s in black and white that if the majority want it then there will be a referendum . But there isn’t a majority . The average catholic in the north doesn’t want it and the Irish don’t want it. So that’s that really. Just a bunch of murdering bastards want it and they’ve been put back in their box lol

ABERDEEN

[Removed by poster at 17/01/20 10:21:27]

ABERDEEN

Tick tock your precious union is dying. After scotland, Wales will push for their independence and eventually Ireland will unite. Can't wait.

Welsh Independence ??? Ha ha ha . Check the opinion polls. Scotland could never afford it. Doesn’t matter cos Johnson has told sturgeon to fuck away off lol. And as for NI - yep- it’s in black and white that if the majority want it then there will be a referendum . But there isn’t a majority . The average catholic in the north doesn’t want it and the Irish don’t want it. So that’s that really. Just a bunch of murdering bastards want it and they’ve been put back in their box lol"

Johnson can say what he wants but in the end democracy will prevail. As for not affording it? Don't make me laugh. If we were that much of a drain don't you think we would have been cast adrift by now? Westminster isn't the caring government saving Scotland and its people for the good of it. What's in it for them? Our money and wealth that's what.

Anyway your obviously a bitter man , you enjoy your union while it lasts pal. Tick tock

belfast/holywood

Welsh Independence ??? Ha ha ha . Check the opinion polls. Scotland could never afford it. Doesn’t matter cos Johnson has told sturgeon to fuck away off lol. And as for NI - yep- it’s in black and white that if the majority want it then there will be a referendum . But there isn’t a majority . The average catholic in the north doesn’t want it and the Irish don’t want it. So that’s that really. Just a bunch of murdering bastards want it and they’ve been put back in their box lol

Johnson can say what he wants but in the end democracy will prevail. As for not affording it? Don't make me laugh. If we were that much of a drain don't you think we would have been cast adrift by now? Westminster isn't the caring government saving Scotland and its people for the good of it. What's in it for them? Our money and wealth that's what.

Anyway your obviously a bitter man , you enjoy your union while it lasts pal. Tick tock"

The only bitter people are the Scottish Nationalists. Defeated by brits for hundreds of years . Dont you know your history lol?. I’m not in the least bitter . Why would I be bitter. The most bitter ppl in the House of Commons are the SNP. Every time they open their mouth you can hear the anger and bitterness spewing from them. Laugh?... I could cry when they get to their bitter little feet. Salmond and ginger girl both said once in a generation , once in a lifetime . You lost. Suck it up. Dry your eyes pet

By *ancardiff7Man  over a year ago

Near Cowbridge

This thread alone is a great incentive for independence for all nations.

By *ORDERMANMan  over a year ago

wrexham

"Yes, the brutality of the British is immortalised in many a song still sung today, in Ireland and in Scotland."

In particular one song sung at major events, where even the daughter of the person to whom the song is sung to refuses to sing the second verse..

wrexham

Viva la Cymru

"This thread alone is a great incentive for independence for all nations. "

I couldn’t agree more .

wrexham

Political question...

When is left right...?

When you're Welsh....!!!

Though Wales is to the west of England, so on a map its to the left of the border..

Being Welsh therefore we're the right side of the boreder

Anyway your obviously a bitter man , you enjoy your union while it lasts pal. Tick tock

The only bitter people are the Scottish Nationalists. Defeated by brits for hundreds of years . Dont you know your history lol?. I’m not in the least bitter . Why would I be bitter. The most bitter ppl in the House of Commons are the SNP. Every time they open their mouth you can hear the anger and bitterness spewing from them. Laugh?... I could cry when they get to their bitter little feet. Salmond and ginger girl both said once in a generation , once in a lifetime . You lost. Suck it up. Dry your eyes pet "

So when Ireland becomes one country again I hope you aren’t expecting a welcome here - economic migrants and refugees arent very popular these days

belfast/holywood

The only bitter people are the Scottish Nationalists. Defeated by brits for hundreds of years . Dont you know your history lol?. I’m not in the least bitter . Why would I be bitter. The most bitter ppl in the House of Commons are the SNP. Every time they open their mouth you can hear the anger and bitterness spewing from them. Laugh?... I could cry when they get to their bitter little feet. Salmond and ginger girl both said once in a generation , once in a lifetime . You lost. Suck it up. Dry your eyes pet

So when Ireland becomes one country again I hope you aren’t expecting a welcome here - economic migrants and refugees arent very popular these days "

Check your history sonny. When was Ireland ever one country ?. ( as in the whole of the island of Ireland). Answer = never. Ireland only came into being in 1922. Fact. Before that , Ireland as a nation didnt exist. A common misconception amongst Neanderthals .

So when Ireland becomes one country again I hope you aren’t expecting a welcome here - economic migrants and refugees arent very popular these days

Check your history sonny. When was Ireland ever one country ?. ( as in the whole of the island of Ireland). Answer = never. Ireland only came into being in 1922. Fact. Before that , Ireland as a nation didnt exist. A common misconception amongst Neanderthals . "

Ah yes of course....history....living in the past....how’s your future looking btw, seeing as you spend so much of your time on here being offensive towards others. Good lick old man!

belfast/holywood

Check your history sonny. When was Ireland ever one country ?. ( as in the whole of the island of Ireland). Answer = never. Ireland only came into being in 1922. Fact. Before that , Ireland as a nation didnt exist. A common misconception amongst Neanderthals .

Ah yes of course....history....living in the past....how’s your future looking btw, seeing as you spend so much of your time on here being offensive towards others. Good lick old man! "

Looking rosy thanks .... made a small fortune thanks to brexit

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

What is fair? Life isn’t all rainbows and sunshine. Just accept that we have our health and that is what really matters.

Bristol East

"Yes, the brutality of the British is immortalised in many a song still sung today, in Ireland and in Scotland.

In particular one song sung at major events, where even the daughter of the person to whom the song is sung to refuses to sing the second verse.. "

A truly dreadful dirge.

i thought we were talking politics ?

you lot are just bitching and name calling

» Add a new message to this topic