FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Tim Martin

Tim Martin

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ragonite OP   Man  over a year ago

Cheshire

Mr Wetherspoons, apparently saying he doesn’t think he needs to close his soulless drinking establishments because “I’m allowed my view and I don’t think it’ll stop the spread of the virus” but also saying “I’m not an epidemiologist” at the same time.

He’s a dangerous buffoon. Why is he taken remotely seriously and given airtime?

Sadly I suspect that we are about to see Darwin’s theory proven yet again by his sort

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

this is england and has the right to free speech as much we do onn here

By *ellowyellowXMan  over a year ago

cardiff

Clearly a reasonably clever man to have built up a huge business like that. May not be popular but limited numbers, spaced apart wouldn't be end of the world and would keep plenty of jobs going over next few months.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Clearly a reasonably clever man to have built up a huge business like that. May not be popular but limited numbers, spaced apart wouldn't be end of the world and would keep plenty of jobs going over next few months. "

Clever man. But he's not keeping his pubs open for the good of humanity.

Look at his track record.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Very successful man ....but a little out there at times

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Good job the choice has been taken away from him.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Guess he won't be giving much more money to the torys then

"Guess he won't be giving much more money to the torys then "

Why?

"Guess he won't be giving much more money to the torys then "

He loves boris and brexshit. Why would he not support the Tories financially?

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"this is england and has the right to free speech as much we do onn here"

He does have the right to spout any tosh he wants. He's still a massively irresponsible tosser to pretend that his crappy drinking dens aren't going to facilitate the spread of the virus. Thankfully the scientists have persuaded the government to finally do what they should have done days ago

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Guess he won't be giving much more money to the torys then

He loves boris and brexshit. Why would he not support the Tories financially?"

I can find no evidence that TM has ever supported the Conservative Party financially.

His financial support of "Vote Leave" is well documented.

"Guess he won't be giving much more money to the torys then

He loves boris and brexshit. Why would he not support the Tories financially?

I can find no evidence that TM has ever supported the Conservative Party financially.

His financial support of "Vote Leave" is well documented. "

And what does this change?

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"He’s a dangerous buffoon. Why is he taken remotely seriously and given airtime?

Sadly I suspect that we are about to see Darwin’s theory proven yet again by his sort "

Something happened that Darwin couldn't have foreseen. It's possible to be a complete fuckwit and make lots of money - IF enough other fuckwits buy into you/enable you.

This is a phenomenon no longer restricted to, so called, Celebrity Culture.

If you're rich and successful, how can you possibly be wrong? That's how it's seen, these days.

Well, you can be wrong and rich; you just can't be convinced that you're wrong - because you're rich.

Covid 19 might take a few of them but they'll always be around.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Is Tim Martin still a hero to Brwxiteers now that he doesn't want to pay his staff during the lockdown because he's not sure when they'll get government money and tells it's fine if they get jobs at Tesco?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-wetherspoon-tim-martin-pub-closed-tesco-supermarket-uk-a9420906.html

#Brexithero

West London

Not paying his suppliers until after the shutdown is over too:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/25/jd-wetherspoon-refuses-pay-suppliers-until-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-ends

#Brexithero

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Is Tim Martin still a hero to Brwxiteers now that he doesn't want to pay his staff during the lockdown because he's not sure when they'll get government money and tells it's fine if they get jobs at Tesco?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-wetherspoon-tim-martin-pub-closed-tesco-supermarket-uk-a9420906.html

#Brexithero"

plus hes now refusing to pay his suppliers for goods that they have already supplied absolutely scumbag

A scum piece of shit serving equally large turds.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Is Tim Martin still a hero to Brwxiteers now that he doesn't want to pay his staff during the lockdown because he's not sure when they'll get government money and tells it's fine if they get jobs at Tesco?

#Brexitheroplus hes now refusing to pay his suppliers for goods that they have already supplied absolutely scumbag "

Cash flow nightmare

West London

#Brexitheroplus hes now refusing to pay his suppliers for goods that they have already supplied absolutely scumbag

Cash flow nightmare "

Ah yes. His company is on a knife edge. Unlike his suppliers

here

#Brexitheroplus hes now refusing to pay his suppliers for goods that they have already supplied absolutely scumbag

Cash flow nightmare

Ah yes. His company is on a knife edge. Unlike his suppliers "

Net debt in the region of £800 million, wage bill of £40 million - pubs closed absolutely no sales.

It’s a scenario that will be repeated up and down the country .

I don’t think he will be the only customer saying exactly the same thing to suppliers

West London

Cash flow nightmare

Net debt in the region of £800 million, wage bill of £40 million - pubs closed absolutely no sales.

I don’t think he will be the only customer saying exactly the same thing to suppliers

"

Yet manages to pay himself a huge salary?

So much debt too? Doesn't sound that successful to me

Anyway, as long as he passed it on to his suppliers and he avoids paying his staff anything for as long as possible he remains a true patriot.

#Brexithero

here

Cash flow nightmare

Anyway, as long as he passed it on to his suppliers and he avoids paying his staff anything for as long as possible he remains a true patriot.

#Brexithero "

Unprecedented times

Grantham

Wetherspoons are paying the staff for time owed.

A lot of their debt will be in the amount of property they own.

West London

"Wetherspoons are paying the staff for time owed.

A lot of their debt will be in the amount of property they own. "

They are not applying for the government funding to retain them though because they don't want to fund the delay.

Should every company do that? There aren't many without debt are there?

The government have actually made a deliberate effort to take some of the stress out of this situation by maintaining incomes.

Not a consideration for him. Jobs at Tesco so not his problem.

#Brexithero #Patriot

West London

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times "

So everyone should sack their staff?

Unprecedented times right?

#Brexithero #Peopleourgreatestasset

here

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

#Brexithero #Peopleourgreatestasset"

Are they sacked ?

West London

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?"

They aren't being retained.

I guess you have your own view on how to treat your staff in a national crisis.

Should everyone else follow his lead?

#Brwxithero #Brexitbenefit #Kickthemwhilastheyaredown

West London

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

#Brwxithero #Brexitbenefit #Kickthemwhilastheyaredown"

Actually, not strictly true. He's not going to pay them until he "clarifies" the government compensation scheme.

They carry the companiliss until he's ready.

Nice one.

#Brexithero #Allinittogether

here

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

#Brwxithero #Brexitbenefit #Kickthemwhilastheyaredown"

Your source to confirm they are not being retained?

West London

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

Your source to confirm they are not being retained? "

If you don't pay someone and suggest that they might want to take a job somewhere else is that the same as keeping them employed or retaining them in work?

I'll leave you to "win" on some pedantic detail.

In the meantime it seems that he has now decided to pay his staff and keep them employed but was unable to before.

Hmmm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-52036501

#brexithero #humblepie #onlybecausehewasforcedto

here

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

If you don't pay someone and suggest that they might want to take a job somewhere else is that the same as keeping them employed or retaining them in work?

In the meantime it seems that he has now decided to pay his staff and keep them employed but was unable to before.

Hmmm.

#brexithero #humblepie #onlybecausehewasforcedto"

Furloughed

Pop off and do some proper research instead of making it up and passing it off as fact

West London

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

Hmmm.

Furloughed

Pop off and do some proper research instead of making it up and passing it off as fact

"

He wasn't going to pay his staff despite knowing that there would be government funding.

Now he is.

Pop off and tell me if he quibbling about the word "furloughed" makes his behaviour towards his staff any less nasty.

#Brwxithero #Screwinghisstaff

here

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

Hmmm.

Furloughed

He wasn't going to pay his staff despite knowing that there would be government funding.

Now he is.

Pop off and tell me if he quibbling about the word "furloughed" makes his behaviour towards his staff any less nasty.

#Brwxithero #Screwinghisstaff"

Staff retained

Being paid via the government support grant

Staff being paid for all work up to the date business closed down

These are the facts

So I take it we’re not getting a source for your claim staff are not being retained ?

West London

Cash flow nightmare

#Brexithero

Unprecedented times

Are they sacked ?

Hmmm.

Furloughed

Now he is.

#Brwxithero #Screwinghisstaff

Staff retained

Being paid via the government support grant

Staff being paid for all work up to the date business closed down

These are the facts

So I take it we’re not getting a source for your claim staff are not being retained ?"

These are the facts now because he was forced to back-track.

He was not going to pay his staff after the lockdown until the government money arrived. Zero pay until then.

What followed was: public criticism by trade unions, a letter from 95 MPs, newspaper headlines and graffiti on his building.

Struggling with the timeline?

You can argue that black is white all you like, but the reality has not changed.

#Brexithero #forcedtopay

I've not bothered to follow what that dickhead Tim being saying to be honest but I won't be boycotting his pubs after all this, not because I like the guy but because the staff need people spending in their establishments to have a job to start with.

here

"I've not bothered to follow what that dickhead Tim being saying to be honest but I won't be boycotting his pubs after all this, not because I like the guy but because the staff need people spending in their establishments to have a job to start with. "

Agree

40,000 of them

Will you still be shopping in Halfords, WHSmith, Sports Direct

West London

"I've not bothered to follow what that dickhead Tim being saying to be honest but I won't be boycotting his pubs after all this, not because I like the guy but because the staff need people spending in their establishments to have a job to start with.

Agree

40,000 of them

Will you still be shopping in Halfords, WHSmith, Sports Direct "

40,000 staff who he wasn't willing to bridge payment until he had the money from the government.

I don't know why you are referencing those other companies, so whatever

here

"I've not bothered to follow what that dickhead Tim being saying to be honest but I won't be boycotting his pubs after all this, not because I like the guy but because the staff need people spending in their establishments to have a job to start with.

Agree

40,000 of them

40,000 staff who he wasn't willing to bridge payment until he had the money from the government.

I don't know why you are referencing those other companies, so whatever "

Yeah, whatever

West London

Agree

40,000 of them

Yeah, whatever "

The point of this part of the thread was that you were initially happy for him to stop paying his staff completely because the circumstances were "unprecedented".

You didn't ever answer if you thought this was what all companies should do.

Then you debated the difference between not paying your staff (furlough) and sacking them when the outcome in the short term is that they get no money.

Have you accepted that despite government funding being available Tim Martin was intending to not pay his staff until he had government koney in his hand? That he told them that there were jobs at Tesco they could get in the meantime?

He has now changed his mind due to public pressure. Do you accept that?

If not, what do you think actually transpired?

here

Agree

40,000 of them

Yeah, whatever

The point of this part of the thread was that you were initially happy for him to stop paying his staff completely because the circumstances were "unprecedented"."

where did i say i was "happy" for him not to pay his staff?

" You didn't ever answer if you thought this was what all companies should do."

Any company can only do what they can in these unprecedented times.

" Then you debated the difference between not paying your staff (furlough) and sacking them when the outcome in the short term is that they get no money.

"

I didnt debate anything - you mistakingly said that the workers were sacked / not retained. Which I asked you to provide a reference for - which you have not yet provided buy the way - but its ok.

" Have you accepted that despite government funding being available Tim Martin was intending to not pay his staff until he had government koney in his hand? That he told them that there were jobs at Tesco they could get in the meantime?

He has now changed his mind due to public pressure. Do you accept that? "

that is correct, and the staff are being paid.

" If not, what do you think actually transpired?"

Any backlash or boycott that the general public feel they need to inflict upon Weatherspoons (or any of the other businesses who have walked a fine line in their understanding of employment or opening during the current situation - thats what the tongue in cheek reference to Halfords, WHSmith, Sports Direct was about.) - only risks the staff losing their jobs (for real) when we come out the other side of this situation.

West London

"

Yeah, whatever

The point of this part of the thread was that you were initially happy for him to stop paying his staff completely because the circumstances were "unprecedented".

where did i say i was "happy" for him not to pay his staff?

You didn't ever answer if you thought this was what all companies should do.

Any company can only do what they can in these unprecedented times.

Then you debated the difference between not paying your staff (furlough) and sacking them when the outcome in the short term is that they get no money.

I didnt debate anything - you mistakingly said that the workers were sacked / not retained. Which I asked you to provide a reference for - which you have not yet provided buy the way - but its ok.

Have you accepted that despite government funding being available Tim Martin was intending to not pay his staff until he had government koney in his hand? That he told them that there were jobs at Tesco they could get in the meantime?

He has now changed his mind due to public pressure. Do you accept that?

If not, what do you think actually transpired?

Any backlash or boycott that the general public feel they need to inflict upon Weatherspoons (or any of the other businesses who have walked a fine line in their understanding of employment or opening during the current situation - thats what the tongue in cheek reference to Halfords, WHSmith, Sports Direct was about.) - only risks the staff losing their jobs (for real) when we come out the other side of this situation.

"

You always seem to end up arguing over details and specific words.

Happy, as in content, unfussed, not concerned rather than actively pleased. You are perfectly aware that's what I meant.

Pretty much every company is in the same situation. They either choose to stand by their staff and reduce their anxiety by paying them or they say tough luck, there are other jobs if you can't survive unpaid.

Wealthy Tim Martin chose to not pay them. He has now found a way to pay them.

Is that what actually transpired? That is actually the main point.

I am not debating what backlash there may or may not be. I'm asking if these are the actions of a hero and a patriot.

WHSmith, Sports Direct and many building companies are clearly treating their staff badly in a different way, but that's not pertinent to the case in point.

here

What actually transpired, your main point, has been acknowledged more than once .

West London

"What actually transpired, your main point, has been acknowledged more than once .

"

Actually, no you haven't. The discussion would have ended long ago if you actually had done so.

Tim Martin could have paid his staff until the government payments came through but chose not to.

He is now paying them due to bad publicity.

These are not heroic or patriotic actions.

The end.

here

“Have you accepted that despite government funding being available Tim Martin was intending to not pay his staff until he had government koney in his hand? That he told them that there were jobs at Tesco they could get in the meantime?

He has now changed his mind due to public pressure. Do you accept that?”

I said :

West London

"“Have you accepted that despite government funding being available Tim Martin was intending to not pay his staff until he had government koney in his hand? That he told them that there were jobs at Tesco they could get in the meantime?

He has now changed his mind due to public pressure. Do you accept that?”

I said :

"

Then I apologise for missing that after 8 posts of you denying that his actions were in anyway unscrupulous

Grantham

Why is Tim Martin a hero? Certainly not to me. Does anyone claim that he is their "hero"?

here

"Why is Tim Martin a hero? Certainly not to me. Does anyone claim that he is their "hero"? "

Lol

West London

"Why is Tim Martin a hero? Certainly not to me. Does anyone claim that he is their "hero"? "

He has been lauded by the Brexit crowd as one.

They have been notably quiet in his defence.

Rather like those who have vociferously supported Trump.

People's true characters tend to show through in a crisis.

So despite finding James Dyson's actions fairly unimpressive in many ways his dealing with the car company shut down and the work on the ventilators have balanced my view of him.

Tim Martin has confirmed a very low opinion.

» Add a new message to this topic