FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Railway workers

Railway workers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If you're on strike today Thursday and Saturday then shame on you..

Work a 4 day week and get double or even treble the average wage in the UK and yet you go on strike causing absolute chaos for the normal working person getting to and from their jobs including NHS staff..

Hope you're well pleased with yourself.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

This is the best way to get get things done, and to get the wage increase that's deserved across many sectors.

If its causing serious disruption, then its an effective strike.

I fully support the strike and I hope that this is a turning point for many industries.

The NHS, RHA and puplic sector workers are due an increase.

Do you not have an alternate mode of transport?

You were given fair warning.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i think you need a bit more about the average wage in the rail indusry and how the rail industry is finance in England before spouting ill informed nonsense about the strike

Here was me scrolling through fab thinking nothing exciting ever happens on the forum's anymore. Then boom, here you are...

Mrs

By *oannefife1982TV/TS  over a year ago

Fife

"If you're on strike today Thursday and Saturday then shame on you..

Work a 4 day week and get double or even treble the average wage in the UK and yet you go on strike causing absolute chaos for the normal working person getting to and from their jobs including NHS staff..

Hope you're well pleased with yourself."

It's not all about wages of train drivers it's all the support staff, cut to jobs within network Rail that inspect the lines cuts to terms and conditions.

Yet again you are uneducated about the topic

By *hrills_n_spillsCouple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

Top trolling, bravo. I see you now.

"i think you need a bit more about the average wage in the rail indusry and how the rail industry is finance in England before spouting ill informed nonsense about the strike"
educate me , how am I ill informed ?

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now."
not trolling , just giving my opinion, it is a forum after all but hey ho feel free to not add anything constructive to the thread.

It's not all about wages of train drivers it's all the support staff, cut to jobs within network Rail that inspect the lines cuts to terms and conditions.

Yet again you are uneducated about the topic "

behave yourself, I know more about this topic than you think but you stick to what the MM want you to know.

"This is the best way to get get things done, and to get the wage increase that's deserved across many sectors.

I fully support the strike and I hope that this is a turning point for many industries.

"

You union wants a 7% wage increase on top of your over existing pay , this is about greed and holding the British public to ransom, sack everyone of the people who go out on strike, I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd love 30-40 grand a year and only work 3 or 4 days.

Falkirk

Yet again you are uneducated about the topic behave yourself, I know more about this topic than you think but you stick to what the MM want you to know."

Are you suggesting there is an underlying conspiracy that the Mainstream Media are deliberately hiding?

"Here was me scrolling through fab thinking nothing exciting ever happens on the forum's anymore. Then boom, here you are...

Mrs "

feel free to keep on scrolling.

Yet again you are uneducated about the topic behave yourself, I know more about this topic than you think but you stick to what the MM want you to know.

Are you suggesting there is an underlying conspiracy that the Mainstream Media are deliberately hiding?"

ofcourse I am but you carry on believing the nonsense they tell you.

Falkirk

"This is the best way to get get things done, and to get the wage increase that's deserved across many sectors.

You union wants a 7% wage increase on top of your over existing pay , this is about greed and holding the British public to ransom, sack everyone of the people who go out on strike, I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd love 30-40 grand a year and only work 3 or 4 days."

I doubt sacking everyone would be financially feasible.

It would also cause a more restrictions due to new drivers having to be trained.

As for 30-40 grand a year for four days work. Yes that's acceptable for the level of responsibility for a train driver.

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I support the workers. Someone needs to take the fight to Johnson and his spivs.

You union wants a 7% wage increase on top of your over existing pay , this is about greed and holding the British public to ransom, sack everyone of the people who go out on strike, I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd love 30-40 grand a year and only work 3 or 4 days.

It would also cause a more restrictions due to new drivers having to be trained.

As for 30-40 grand a year for four days work. Yes that's acceptable for the level of responsibility for a train driver.

"

train drivers are not on strike and if they where what level of responsibility do they have? What's the difference between driving a train and say being a lorry driver on a busy road? There's alot more chance of crashing a lorry than a train.

"I support the workers. Someone needs to take the fight to Johnson and his spivs. "
The same spivs that gave the rail industry £6 billion through the covid pandemic as extra support? That's £600 from every tax paying person in the uk.

Aberdeenshire

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now. not trolling , just giving my opinion, it is a forum after all but hey ho feel free to not add anything constructive to the thread."

Ok what are you adding? Your opinion seems based on a very binary view point with cherry picked statistics.

I've not had a payrise in over 7 years, the bank of england inflation rates since that time estimate my pay should have grown 19% (not including the current dip in the economy). Meanwhile my employer has relocated me with my travel costs now taking up 6.9% of my rate with no offer of compensation,added to my contract effectively being changed to zero hour in all but name and other benefits being taken away, (increased rates for working away now gone etc).

7% doesn't seem bad in the face of an effective 26% cut. But sure you act like a 2 bit Piers Morgan. Top notch constructive criticism from you, soup taking more like

Above all this I stand with other workers trying to better themselves despite my kicking this side of the fence.

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now. not trolling , just giving my opinion, it is a forum after all but hey ho feel free to not add anything constructive to the thread.

Ok what are you adding? Your opinion seems based on a very binary view point with cherry picked statistics.

I've not had a payrise in over 7 years, the bank of england inflation rates since that time estimate my pay should have grown 19% (not including the current dip in the economy). Meanwhile my employer has relocated me with my travel costs now taking up 6.9% of my rate with no offer of compensation,added to my contract effectively being changed to zero hour in all but name and other benefits being taken away, (increased rates for working away now gone etc).

7% doesn't seem bad in the face of an effective 26% cut. But sure you act like a 2 bit Piers Morgan. Top notch constructive criticism from you, soup taking more like

Above all this I stand with other workers trying to better themselves despite my kicking this side of the fence."

my answer to most of that is find another job, your employers is to blame for not giving you a payrise not the government, this strike is all about greed by the RMT , the tories gave them £6 billion during the pandemic and how to they pay them back by going in strike for more money, sack the lot of them.

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now. not trolling , just giving my opinion, it is a forum after all but hey ho feel free to not add anything constructive to the thread.

Above all this I stand with other workers trying to better themselves despite my kicking this side of the fence. my answer to most of that is find another job, your employers is to blame for not giving you a payrise not the government, this strike is all about greed by the RMT , the tories gave them £6 billion during the pandemic and how to they pay them back by going in strike for more money, sack the lot of them."

Oh and thanks for suggesting I'm a 2 bit Piers Morgan, that's been duly noted.

By *et another guyMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Having applied to work in this sector previously the time to recruit and train is huge they are still trying to recover from the lockdown as by law this training could not be virtual. Rail workers have challenging conditions and very responsible roles. It angers me hugely this has been shown as only about wages, it's much much more long term employment and safety concerns over government led reforms. Yes rail workers have a string union who have secured good conditions well done to them that does not mean they should just throw it all away. The sub plot is the gov have done all they can to make this happen so they can destroy workers rights even further, this is a ploy to outlaw industrial action and remove the right to strike. They are currently trying to remove legalisation to allow agency and casual workers to back fill these positions on zero hour contracts and horrendous conditions. Remember the P&O outcry? The government were against that now they are trying to allow the same to quote the transport minister underpaid undertrained unsafe casual workers.

This is cloak and dagger operations how much media coverage have you seen on the condition attached to the pay offer the safety standards that will be removed the long term job cuts? Not a lot and very few highlight the gov response to crush workers rights. Transport secretary says we are being dragged back to 70s with this action I agree, but with the attack on workers rights it's more like 1870s

By *ark EdgeCouple  over a year ago

Stirling

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now."

He does love to start controversial posts that have nothing to do with swinging.

Falkirk

train drivers are not on strike and if they where what level of responsibility do they have? What's the difference between driving a train and say being a lorry driver on a busy road? There's alot more chance of crashing a lorry than a train. "

A train can carry several hundred people much like a commercial airliner.

Lorries only have one driver and carry no passengers.

Aberdeenshire

Above all this I stand with other workers trying to better themselves despite my kicking this side of the fence. my answer to most of that is find another job, your employers is to blame for not giving you a payrise not the government, this strike is all about greed by the RMT , the tories gave them £6 billion during the pandemic and how to they pay them back by going in strike for more money, sack the lot of them. Oh and thanks for suggesting I'm a 2 bit Piers Morgan, that's been duly noted. "

Hahaha. I thought that would get you wet

Stirling

He seems to have glossed over the many people working at network rail who are paid below the average wage. He is also ignoring the issues around safety raised d by the union's.

Aberdeenshire

"He seems to have glossed over the many people working at network rail who are paid below the average wage. He is also ignoring the issues around safety raised d by the union's. "

Yes but he's taking the mainstream media to task....by parroting exactly their position. Soooo edgey, what a rebel

"He seems to have glossed over the many people working at network rail who are paid below the average wage. He is also ignoring the issues around safety raised d by the union's. "
So the cleaners who work at railway stations are on strike today?

Aberdeenshire

"...Double or even treble the average wage in the UK..."

The average full-time salary in the UK £31,285 in 2021

The average salary for a railway worker. (Via Glassdoor)

Driver - £55k

Guards/conductors- £30k

Cleaners - £19.5k

Section supervisor - £32k

Rail operator/technician - £24k

Platform staff - £21k

.....cool beans

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"

Are you suggesting there is an underlying conspiracy that the Mainstream Media are deliberately hiding?"

Fucking hell yeah!!

All mainstream media & news thrives on negativity to sell advertising space to make money!!!

By *eneralKenobiMan  over a year ago

North Angus

I nearly make 17k a year, can I strike?

Falkirk

"

Are you suggesting there is an underlying conspiracy that the Mainstream Media are deliberately hiding?

Fucking hell yeah!!

All mainstream media & news thrives on negativity to sell advertising space to make money!!!

"

I try and avoid it where possible.

It's actually smart marketing targeting those that are gullible enough to fall for it.

Falkirk

"I nearly make 17k a year, can I strike? "

Only on a Sunday

North Angus

"I nearly make 17k a year, can I strike?

Only on a Sunday "

Bugger them I’m having Saturday off too

Falkirk

Only on a Sunday

Bugger them I’m having Saturday off too "

What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

North Angus

Only on a Sunday

What do you do if you don't mind me asking?"

Offshore oil supply company, high pressure testing and… joiner and welder and forklift driver and! Storeman. lowest of the low

Falkirk

Only on a Sunday

Offshore oil supply company, high pressure testing and… joiner and welder and forklift driver and! Storeman. lowest of the low "

We have Subsea techs onshore working for us and they are on more than that or are you stating after tax?

By *eamworkboyMan  over a year ago

Irvine

Listening to that dinosaur Mick Lynch is like a throwback to the 70,s what an embarrassment I thought we had moved on from this militant nonsense

North Angus

Only on a Sunday

Offshore oil supply company, high pressure testing and… joiner and welder and forklift driver and! Storeman. lowest of the low

We have Subsea techs onshore working for us and they are on more than that or are you stating after tax?"

Yeah that would be what I get in my pocket, toilet cleaners are on more than me and I’m genuinely thinking of doing that as a career change

Falkirk

Only on a Sunday

We have Subsea techs onshore working for us and they are on more than that or are you stating after tax?

Yeah that would be what I get in my pocket, toilet cleaners are on more than me and I’m genuinely thinking of doing that as a career change "

Are you prepared to work offshore or outside of the UK?

North Angus

Only on a Sunday

Yeah that would be what I get in my pocket, toilet cleaners are on more than me and I’m genuinely thinking of doing that as a career change

Are you prepared to work offshore or outside of the UK?"

No that’s probably why I’m stuck where I am

Falkirk

Only on a Sunday

Are you prepared to work offshore or outside of the UK?

No that’s probably why I’m stuck where I am "

Ah yea OK

By *esLibertinesCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow Edinburgh Leeds Manchester

"I support the workers. Someone needs to take the fight to Johnson and his spivs. "

Well now Johnson isn't good anymore?!?

When we accused he of the death of thousands of people (30000 according the scientists statistics) due the Covid restrictions delay(2 weeks after, compared the rest of the world) people here literally hate us alive!

When we criticized Johnson when he got the best care in a public hospital, the same person yelled about HERD BULLSHIT IMMUNITY..again people here hate us alive!

Maybe you deserve Johnson guys...

By *appy7269Man  over a year ago

Ayrshire

I do believe this strike is not entirely about pay but you can't hide greed..forget Glassdoor acutual figures are average 59k for drivers and 33K for ticket collectors / guards. Compared to NHS Military Police Firefighters they are in a very well paid industry with high rates of pay for overtime.. I have zero support for the strikers they should be thankful they are employed and earning good money with good job security.

"I do believe this strike is not entirely about pay but you can't hide greed..forget Glassdoor acutual figures are average 59k for drivers and 33K for ticket collectors / guards. Compared to NHS Military Police Firefighters they are in a very well paid industry with high rates of pay for overtime.. I have zero support for the strikers they should be thankful they are employed and earning good money with good job security."

I see your point but this Government is a Circus and Johnson is a clown.

Starting from Covid, passing by Brexit, Johnson party scandal, DVLA strikes, ScotRail lines Vs Abelio, inflation, Council tax and rent increases, Energy cost...coming from Italy always admired UK..frankly changed our mind.This is a mess!

By *exicolaMan  over a year ago

West Lothian

Power to the people

By *esparate danMan  over a year ago

glasgow

If only wee zesty was here to chime in

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Solidarity with any striking workers.

If unions hadn’t formed and agitated for change we’d still be working for a pittance, with no thought for health and safety and being lucky if we get a half day off on a Saturday. Paid holidays? Sick leave? Maternity and Paternity leave? Not a chance any of that would have happened.

I’ll take a bit of inconvenience if that is what is required for change.

By *oShrinkingVioletWoman  over a year ago

the land of unicorns and fairytales

You’ll find the MAJORITY of staff in the rail industry are on minimum wage or at best a quid or two more and being expected to work overtime last minute because they’ve cut the numbers of staff but are trying to maintain the same number of trains, staff are being asked to do tasks that weren’t previously on their contract of employment and employee responsibilities/duties they’ve slowly but surely changed peoples roles and not given them the recognition of doing the work of sometimes 2 people, the staff during lockdown did this to HELP TEMPORARILY and have found that their still being expected to do these new duties but not being paid for it accordingly !

So I FULLY SUPPORT the rail workers and hope they get what they deserve

Only a small percentage of rail staff get wages of 30-40k

Ayrshire

"You’ll find the MAJORITY of staff in the rail industry are on minimum wage or at best a quid or two more and being expected to work overtime last minute because they’ve cut the numbers of staff but are trying to maintain the same number of trains, staff are being asked to do tasks that weren’t previously on their contract of employment and employee responsibilities/duties they’ve slowly but surely changed peoples roles and not given them the recognition of doing the work of sometimes 2 people, the staff during lockdown did this to HELP TEMPORARILY and have found that their still being expected to do these new duties but not being paid for it accordingly !

Only a small percentage of rail staff get wages of 30-40k "

The average fig is the median figure so if you had 2001 drivers then driver 1000 would earn 59k. The average is what it is..many will be earning the median average some less some even more.

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

"You’ll find the MAJORITY of staff in the rail industry are on minimum wage or at best a quid or two more and being expected to work overtime last minute because they’ve cut the numbers of staff but are trying to maintain the same number of trains, staff are being asked to do tasks that weren’t previously on their contract of employment and employee responsibilities/duties they’ve slowly but surely changed peoples roles and not given them the recognition of doing the work of sometimes 2 people, the staff during lockdown did this to HELP TEMPORARILY and have found that their still being expected to do these new duties but not being paid for it accordingly !

The average fig is the median figure so if you had 2001 drivers then driver 1000 would earn 59k. The average is what it is..many will be earning the median average some less some even more. "

It isn't often that the median and average figures are the same.

Do the salaries included overtime and shift allownces?

By *ama bamaMan  over a year ago

dalkeith

Since you have an opinion on Raiway Workers then state your occupation and work and let us tell you what we think of your Profesion. Or will you hide behind your profile.

By *clayairMan  over a year ago

ayrshire/glasgow

Up the workers.

Ayrshire

The average fig is the median figure so if you had 2001 drivers then driver 1000 would earn 59k. The average is what it is..many will be earning the median average some less some even more.

Do the salaries included overtime and shift allownces?"

A salary shouldn't include overtime these are extra and not guaranteed income some as bonuses

dalkeith

A salary shouldn't include overtime these are extra and not guaranteed income some as bonuses

"

In the Railway after reorganisation the bonus payments where added to the salary.Shift allowance Rostering payments and all over time rates erased and included in Salary.The rate of pay is for working unsocial hours and any day of the week at anytime.Sundays may be excluded but are forced overtime.

Hope you're well pleased with yourself. Since you have an opinion on Raiway Workers then state your occupation and work and let us tell you what we think of your Profesion. Or will you hide behind your profile."

I've worked for myself for over 30 years, pay my national insurance and tax like everyone else that works, what does my occupation have to do with the strike?

dalkeith

Hope you're well pleased with yourself. Since you have an opinion on Raiway Workers then state your occupation and work and let us tell you what we think of your Profesion. Or will you hide behind your profile. I've worked for myself for over 30 years, pay my national insurance and tax like everyone else that works, what does my occupation have to do with the strike?

"

you have an oppinion about all Railway Grades so be a man and let us talk about your work

"Solidarity with any striking workers.

If unions hadn’t formed and agitated for change we’d still be working for a pittance, with no thought for health and safety and being lucky if we get a half day off on a Saturday. Paid holidays? Sick leave? Maternity and Paternity leave? Not a chance any of that would have happened.

I’ll take a bit of inconvenience if that is what is required for change."

Inconvenience? Sorry but it's way beyond Inconvenience, it's downright disgraceful and do you honestly believe the unions will get the 7% payrise? No chance! They better not because then every other union will want the same for their members..

We've just came out of a pandemic, we've got the cost of living crisis going on and these union reps are still stuck in the 1970s, sack everyone that strikes..

Hope you're well pleased with yourself. Since you have an opinion on Raiway Workers then state your occupation and work and let us tell you what we think of your Profesion. Or will you hide behind your profile. I've worked for myself for over 30 years, pay my national insurance and tax like everyone else that works, what does my occupation have to do with the strike?

you have an oppinion about all Railway Grades so be a man and let us talk about your work

"

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job?

"If only wee zesty was here to chime in "

How do you know he's not? Could be in ninja mode..

Hey guys,it is right have an opinion, but everyone against a person (T.A.R.Z.A.N.) been personal and unfair. Try to focus on the idea in order to have a decent conversation.

"Hey guys,it is right have an opinion, but everyone against a person (T.A.R.Z.A.N.) been personal and unfair. Try to focus on the idea in order to have a decent conversation."
They can't help themselves, says more about them than it does me but I can handle it.

dalkeith

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? "

Railway employee

Glasgow

Inconvenience? Sorry but it's way beyond Inconvenience, it's downright disgraceful and do you honestly believe the unions will get the 7% payrise? No chance! They better not because then every other union will want the same for their members..

We've just came out of a pandemic, we've got the cost of living crisis going on and these union reps are still stuck in the 1970s, sack everyone that strikes.."

I don’t think they’ll get what they want, but that’s because the government ultimately hold the purse strings on this. This is ideologically driven.

The government have already attacked the right to protest and are now picking a fight with a union. All to keep ‘big dog’ in place by playing to their base. By your response their tactics obviously are working.

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee"

are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week?

Stirling

With this government you'll see a call for strikes by many government workers including in the care sector. Time the worker was recognized for the work they do.

dalkeith

We've just came out of a pandemic, we've got the cost of living crisis going on and these union reps are still stuck in the 1970s, sack everyone that strikes..

I don’t think they’ll get what they want, but that’s because the government ultimately hold the purse strings on this. This is ideologically driven.

The government have already attacked the right to protest and are now picking a fight with a union. All to keep ‘big dog’ in place by playing to their base. By your response their tactics obviously are working."

Well said and as for the but such and such earns less. That should let you know how their wages have been left behind. As the Great Tory Big Dog says where are leveling up. When did pay demands become a lets race to the bottom.

The government have already attacked the right to protest and are now picking a fight with a union. All to keep ‘big dog’ in place by playing to their base. By your response their tactics obviously are working."

these strikes where put in place well before the unions sat down with the government, they weren't interested in what the government offered they just wanted and stuck to their own agenda but the 1 thing they did forget was the £6 billion payout the government gave them throughout the pandemic... £600 of mine and every other hard working person that works and pays taxes, much more than any other organisation including the police fire brigade and health workers, this is about greed simple as that imo.

dalkeith

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? "

not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well.

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well."

why are you not on strike?

near Glasgow

We've just came out of a pandemic, we've got the cost of living crisis going on and these union reps are still stuck in the 1970s, sack everyone that strikes.."

Sack everyone that strikes how 80s are you! Impossible to replace a highly skilled workforce over night. Sacking strikers would cripple rail travel for at least a year and destroy society as a whole I for one would call for every union member across the UK in every sector to strike in response. You want to drive us back to Victorian values. Labour are a disgrace not publicly supporting this action. If you think that anyone does this lightly think again they lose pay destroy working relationships drive away customers you really think railworkers want this? Scratch the surface the gov are trying to enforce a 2 or 3% pay ceiling whilst demanding 10% reductions.

Yes the railway got huge pay out during covid the company did NOT the employees. Do you not see what is happening as the government picks a fight to drive workers pay down and hammer realtime paycuts , they are now removing barriers to allow non executive directors to be paid infinate amounts of money. Make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

Airlines recieved just as much money during the pandemic, less union support what happened staff laid off then expected to jump back for low pay and poor conditions the result well look at the airports just now they can't fill the jobs. Why are we trying to drive every one to the bottom rather than bring us all up to a decent level? Read up this is about making every station unmanned removing guards from trains removing safe systems of work that prevent accidents. Ask yourself this do you want to go in a train with no one at the station a driver with less training and working longer hours? The civil aviation serving and production industry went through this in the 70s took 20 years to recover they found when they did that errors and accidents happen what did they do set up rigid working pattern to avoid long hours, zero stress culture and safety above costs. Is this well paid work yes but it's the highest quality in the works hence why air safety is impeccable. Think about that when you call for people to be fired and race to the bottom

dalkeith

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well. why are you not on strike? "

it is a network rail strike funded by Westmisnter.Scotraill is not involved in this Strike.

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well. why are you not on strike? it is a network rail strike funded by Westmisnter.Scotraill is not involved in this Strike."

If asked to go out on strike would you?

"Hey guys,it is right have an opinion, but everyone against a person (T.A.R.Z.A.N.) been personal and unfair. Try to focus on the idea in order to have a decent conversation."

Eh not me I just made points as I have several friends who work within the railways and the figures posted online are network rail staff not the outsourcing to contract workers network rail employed staff only make up about 30% of the members of the RMT

Oh as well as an engineer to trade I studied employment law and worked with staff/unions/companies on conflict resolution

near Glasgow

Again mainstream media gloss over the fact that Scotrail is a different entity.

Problem is the track and signal infrastructure is Network Rail

PS during covid when I took a break from fab it was because I was seeing someone who worked for atalan services who do the cleaning contracts for network rail, he was also the union rep for Edinburgh in the RMT and the monies given to the railways bought cleaning equipment, PPE etc the staff never seen any of it

near Glasgow

"Hey guys,it is right have an opinion, but everyone against a person (T.A.R.Z.A.N.) been personal and unfair. Try to focus on the idea in order to have a decent conversation.

Eh not me I just made points as I have several friends who work within the railways and the figures posted online are network rail staff not the outsourcing to contract workers network rail employed staff only make up about 30% of the members of the RMT

Oh as well as an engineer to trade I studied employment law and worked with staff/unions/companies on conflict resolution "

Same lol

"Again mainstream media gloss over the fact that Scotrail is a different entity.

Problem is the track and signal infrastructure is Network Rail"

Well said sir

Glasgow

The government have already attacked the right to protest and are now picking a fight with a union. All to keep ‘big dog’ in place by playing to their base. By your response their tactics obviously are working. these strikes where put in place well before the unions sat down with the government, they weren't interested in what the government offered they just wanted and stuck to their own agenda but the 1 thing they did forget was the £6 billion payout the government gave them throughout the pandemic... £600 of mine and every other hard working person that works and pays taxes, much more than any other organisation including the police fire brigade and health workers, this is about greed simple as that imo."

According to the radio the negotiations have been going on for 18 months. This seems like a last resort option.

Also, it’s not greed. Anything less than they are asking is a real time pay cut, due to inflation.

You say you are a self employed painter and decorator. Did you take government hand outs over the pandemic? Have you put your prices up due to costs increasing? If not you are the only tradesman I know that hasn’t. If you have put your prices up, after all those government handouts, is that greed?

dalkeith

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well. why are you not on strike? it is a network rail strike funded by Westmisnter.Scotraill is not involved in this Strike. If asked to go out on strike would you?"

Yes i would and feel that all the reasons are justified.Last time the goverment reduced maintenance on the railways we had potters bar and other Crashes due to cut backs. so i can see it coming again. Forgive me if i want all passengers to travel home safe and the same as i want to walk in my house after a shift not be placed in a body bag.

In the west.

"

I know but are you sure they aren't being used in the figure being publicised in the media.

The median is different from the average/mean figure.

I support it, all wages should rise.

Often people in Britain admire the French for sticking up for themselves and then when we do do it, we get dogs abuse.

Can't win eh

The government have already attacked the right to protest and are now picking a fight with a union. All to keep ‘big dog’ in place by playing to their base. By your response their tactics obviously are working. these strikes where put in place well before the unions sat down with the government, they weren't interested in what the government offered they just wanted and stuck to their own agenda but the 1 thing they did forget was the £6 billion payout the government gave them throughout the pandemic... £600 of mine and every other hard working person that works and pays taxes, much more than any other organisation including the police fire brigade and health workers, this is about greed simple as that imo.

According to the radio the negotiations have been going on for 18 months. This seems like a last resort option.

Also, it’s not greed. Anything less than they are asking is a real time pay cut, due to inflation.

You say you are a self employed painter and decorator. Did you take government hand outs over the pandemic? Have you put your prices up due to costs increasing? If not you are the only tradesman I know that hasn’t. If you have put your prices up, after all those government handouts, is that greed?"

in answer to your question regarding did I put up my prices? No I didn't and before you ask alot of other tradesmen who I know and work with throughout the whole pandemic never put their prices up. Why? Because its bad business to take advantage of people over that unprecedented time, tradesmen rely on good feedback, putting up prices just didn't make financial sense.

In answer to taking handouts from the government? No again and although I was entitled to receive it I turned it down.

Hope this answers your comments

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well. why are you not on strike? it is a network rail strike funded by Westmisnter.Scotraill is not involved in this Strike. If asked to go out on strike would you? Yes i would and feel that all the reasons are justified.Last time the goverment reduced maintenance on the railways we had potters bar and other Crashes due to cut backs. so i can see it coming again. Forgive me if i want all passengers to travel home safe and the same as i want to walk in my house after a shift not be placed in a body bag."

The last train crash in Scotland was due to weather conditions that caused an landslide, something like that has nothing to do with rail safety it's a freak of nature that no-one foreseen, rail safety is way better today than in any other generation, why? Because the government has piled in billions to make it that way.

So what's the alternative become a scab and cross a picket line essentially .. no going to comment on wages but no one wants to be a scab.

"So what's the alternative become a scab and cross a picket line essentially .. no going to comment on wages but no one wants to be a scab."
if it meant I could feed and cloth my kids, pay my bills and my fab subscription lol I'd cross a picket line everyday of the week.

In the west.

If those that are on strike, which is their right, this week were to be sacked how would that help the transport infrastructure in the UK?

Who would then:

maintain the infrastructure

operate the signals

maintain the rolling stock

work in ticket offices using complex IT systems

These are highly skilled jobs and need years of training and additional CPD just to keep up to date.

If they were sacked there wouldn't be a railway system.

"If those that are on strike, which is their right, this week were to be sacked how would that help the transport infrastructure in the UK?

Who would then:

operate the signals

These are highly skilled jobs and need years of training and additional CPD just to keep up to date.

If they were sacked there wouldn't be a railway system. "

import them from English speaking countries, shouldn't be that hard to do for 40 grand a year

dalkeith

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well. why are you not on strike? it is a network rail strike funded by Westmisnter.Scotraill is not involved in this Strike. If asked to go out on strike would you? Yes i would and feel that all the reasons are justified.Last time the goverment reduced maintenance on the railways we had potters bar and other Crashes due to cut backs. so i can see it coming again. Forgive me if i want all passengers to travel home safe and the same as i want to walk in my house after a shift not be placed in a body bag. The last train crash in Scotland was due to weather conditions that caused an landslide, something like that has nothing to do with rail safety it's a freak of nature that no-one foreseen, rail safety is way better today than in any other generation, why? Because the government has piled in billions to make it that way."

Go and read the Office of rail regulation report of that.A sub contractor that had put in drainage channels at a know flood risk area made a mistake with the designs of that. causing the crash it is called and engineering mistake.

"Hey guys,it is right have an opinion, but everyone against a person (T.A.R.Z.A.N.) been personal and unfair. Try to focus on the idea in order to have a decent conversation.

Oh as well as an engineer to trade I studied employment law and worked with staff/unions/companies on conflict resolution "

Sure ,it was just a general "calm down". By the way, it s hard by both parts...this is an unprecedented situation..a lot is going on..post Covid(who knows if it'd post),Brexit, scandals and obviously a government that lacking/or wrong communication (can't tell the people to move to other jobs or working more hours as a solution..) and that's not only UK..can't stand listen the Sturgeon talking about Scotland 's indipendence as solution taking advantage of the caos...just polical propaganda..

That's just the beginning.. coming months would be the hell on earth with the inflating rises again, retrocession (company won't hire anymore)..

OMG it looks like back to live in Italy!

In the west.

"If those that are on strike, which is their right, this week were to be sacked how would that help the transport infrastructure in the UK?

Who would then:

operate the signals

If they were sacked there wouldn't be a railway system. import them from English speaking countries, shouldn't be that hard to do for 40 grand a year "

Really?

They will still have to be trained in the systems and procedures in operation here.

Not everyone speaks perfect English and there are complex sentence structures in these operation procedures.

After Brexit many foreign nationals returned to their native countries as there are restrictions about working and living in the UK now.

The government wanted to introduce temporary visas for lorry drivers at the end of last year and look what happened there.

dalkeith

Who would then:

operate the signals

If they were sacked there wouldn't be a railway system. import them from English speaking countries, shouldn't be that hard to do for 40 grand a year "

AAAAAAAH Brexit lol

By *orders CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Kelso

Yet again you are uneducated about the topic behave yourself, I know more about this topic than you think but you stick to what the MM want you to know."

Now that does require an in depth follow up explanation.

I run and own a decorating business , whats your job? Railway employee are you on strike? And if its not too personal of a question how much do you get paid? And many hours a week? not on strike and i work a 35 to 40 hr week. Yet i can work 70 hrs in a run of seven days.with a shift change as well. why are you not on strike? it is a network rail strike funded by Westmisnter.Scotraill is not involved in this Strike. If asked to go out on strike would you? Yes i would and feel that all the reasons are justified.Last time the goverment reduced maintenance on the railways we had potters bar and other Crashes due to cut backs. so i can see it coming again. Forgive me if i want all passengers to travel home safe and the same as i want to walk in my house after a shift not be placed in a body bag. The last train crash in Scotland was due to weather conditions that caused an landslide, something like that has nothing to do with rail safety it's a freak of nature that no-one foreseen, rail safety is way better today than in any other generation, why? Because the government has piled in billions to make it that way. Go and read the Office of rail regulation report of that.A sub contractor that had put in drainage channels at a know flood risk area made a mistake with the designs of that. causing the crash it is called and engineering mistake."

So it was a man made mistake that caused the accident it still had nothing to do with prior safety checks by the train company, if the sub contractor engineer had dones his job correctly there would have been no accident.

Aberdeenshire

Who would then:

operate the signals

I still refuse to believe this isn't an expertly executed trolling session. Loads of nibbles today lad.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"

In answer to taking handouts from the government? No again and although I was entitled to receive it I turned it down.

Hope this answers your comments "

Who needs money when you can live on fresh air and 3 women eh

Who would then:

operate the signals

If they were sacked there wouldn't be a railway system. import them from English speaking countries, shouldn't be that hard to do for 40 grand a year

Really?

They will still have to be trained in the systems and procedures in operation here.

Not everyone speaks perfect English and there are complex sentence structures in these operation procedures.

After Brexit many foreign nationals returned to their native countries as there are restrictions about working and living in the UK now.

The government wanted to introduce temporary visas for lorry drivers at the end of last year and look what happened there. "

I'm not saying this government are perfect, far from it but they have helped out the railways over the past 2 and a bit years more than any other organisation yet their union reps want more.

Americans,Canadians, Australians and Irish railway workers all speak and understand English rather well , employ them and give them the same uk pension rate that they already get here, I'm sure that would fill in the hole

"

Hope this answers your comments

Who needs money when you can live on fresh air and 3 women eh"

exactly but everything I work for I earn myself, I don't need handouts

Who would then:

operate the signals

If they were sacked there wouldn't be a railway system. import them from English speaking countries, shouldn't be that hard to do for 40 grand a year

I still refuse to believe this isn't an expertly executed trolling session. Loads of nibbles today lad."

it's called a debate , a discussion even, feel free to add your own input that's what it's here for? Or are you just here to try and stir things up?

In the west.

Who would then:

operate the signals

Really?

The government wanted to introduce temporary visas for lorry drivers at the end of last year and look what happened there.

I'm not saying this government are perfect, far from it but they have helped out the railways over the past 2 and a bit years more than any other organisation yet their union reps want more.

Americans,Canadians, Australians and Irish railway workers all speak and understand English rather well , employ them and give them the same uk pension rate that they already get here, I'm sure that would fill in the hole "

Other industries got money from the government over the last 2 years but it didn't all go on workers salaries, they had to introduce new procedures and by equipment to cope with the pandemic.

Americans need visas to come here & work and I'm sure the Canadians and Aussies do as well. They will still need to be trained on the systems as theirs are different. Who would pay for the training?

Then you have to think would they want to come here when you look at the government in place just now.

Falkirk

So what it really comes down to is you having a rant because you failed to prepare for a organised strike.

Stirling

Who would then:

operate the signals

I still refuse to believe this isn't an expertly executed trolling session. Loads of nibbles today lad. it's called a debate , a discussion even, feel free to add your own input that's what it's here for? Or are you just here to try and stir things up? "

We think you do a good enough job of stirring things, yeah? Remember it is a swinger's site not a debating society.

Aberdeenshire

Who would then:

operate the signals

I still refuse to believe this isn't an expertly executed trolling session. Loads of nibbles today lad. it's called a debate , a discussion even, feel free to add your own input that's what it's here for? Or are you just here to try and stir things up? "

Hahaha I gave you input. Its not a debate if there's no give and take. Your initial post wasn't framed as a discussion, plus your statement was inflated beyond reality. DOUBLE TREBLE THE NATIONAL AVERAGE. SHAME ON THEM

The majority of train drivers aren't even represented by the RMT.

Its legal industrial action to stop an unsafe amount of redundancies and to stop another P&O situation occurring.

They are also asking for a below inflation pay rise. Over 3 years inflation is 11%. But all folk against the action are going on about is a 7% figure and train drivers. Why do you suppose that is?

Have you even read RMT demands?

Well played sir, well played

Who would then:

operate the signals

I still refuse to believe this isn't an expertly executed trolling session. Loads of nibbles today lad. it's called a debate , a discussion even, feel free to add your own input that's what it's here for? Or are you just here to try and stir things up?

Hahaha I gave you input. Its not a debate if there's no give and take. Your initial post wasn't framed as a discussion, plus your statement was inflated beyond reality. DOUBLE TREBLE THE NATIONAL AVERAGE. SHAME ON THEM

Its legal industrial action to stop an unsafe amount of redundancies and to stop another P&O situation occurring.

They are also asking for a below inflation pay rise. Over 3 years inflation is 11%. But all folk against the action are going on about is a 7% figure and train drivers. Why do you suppose that is?

Well played sir, well played"

atlast a well constructed criticism instead of name calling and suggesting that I'm trolling. Well done you !

I have read the RMT demands and there lies the issue I have..Demands!! No one should be demanding anything, sit down with the government work out something where both parties can agree then Implement it not do as the RMT says or we go on strike and cause chaos because their demands are not met, its not the 70s anymore.

Who would then:

operate the signals

I still refuse to believe this isn't an expertly executed trolling session. Loads of nibbles today lad. it's called a debate , a discussion even, feel free to add your own input that's what it's here for? Or are you just here to try and stir things up?

We think you do a good enough job of stirring things, yeah? Remember it is a swinger's site not a debating society. "

I couldn't care less what you or anyone thinks, I'm entitled to my opinion and can express it in the forums, or is the forums only for "who has the biggest dick in Scotland"? or "whos going to CJs on a certain date"? Or "who's the sexiest couple in here"? Threads?

"So what it really comes down to is you having a rant because you failed to prepare for a organised strike.

"

Ni its to do with holding the British public to ransom so they can get a higher wage than most working people can only imagine earning.

If you'd bother reading my comments you'd see that but you probably didn't do that.

Stirling

"So what it really comes down to is you having a rant because you failed to prepare for a organised strike.

Ni its to do with holding the British public to ransom so they can get a higher wage than most working people can only imagine earning.

If you'd bother reading my comments you'd see that but you probably didn't do that."

Bless your, upset, little cotton socks. What are you going to do when carers and other healthcare workers call a strike? How about council workers? Your head will explode

Falkirk

If you'd bother reading my comments you'd see that but you probably didn't do that."

I did read it, and replied previously.

So you started a rant, or so called debate based own your own failings.

If you'd bother reading my comments you'd see that but you probably didn't do that.

"

What failings?

Bless your, upset, little cotton socks. What are you going to do when carers and other healthcare workers call a strike? How about council workers? Your head will explode "

No because they do deserve better wages , a train driver doesn't, obviously you're a socialist so your not going to agree with me on this strike so my conversation with you is finished.

Falkirk

What failings? "

Failing to realise that shaming RMT workers and train drivers on a swingers site will do absolutely nothing for the current strike situation.

But you already knew that.

What failings?

Failing to realise that shaming RMT workers and train drivers on a swingers site will do absolutely nothing for the current strike situation.

But you already knew that. "

as will travelling to a meet by train oh wait we can't do that either because they're on strike.

Aberdeenshire

Who would then:

operate the signals

Well played sir, well played atlast a well constructed criticism instead of name calling and suggesting that I'm trolling. Well done you !

I have read the RMT demands and there lies the issue I have..Demands!! No one should be demanding anything, sit down with the government work out something where both parties can agree then Implement it not do as the RMT says or we go on strike and cause chaos because their demands are not met, its not the 70s anymore."

No i gave you points previously you ignored them. You are glossing over the unsafe redundancies and the govt now removing peoples right to industrial action. Most laypeople's pay is being artificially suppressed in the UK, you would have us wait for payrise handouts or is their another solution?

Meanwhile in the UK we have companies making record breaking profits and paying no tax. (Shell and BP claim £7m a week in benefits, pay no tax, and have publicly called themselves cash machines due to having more money than they know what to do with). Yet whilst working in this field my pay, along with most others around me, has been stagnant for almost a decade (industry wide)

You clearly don't understand the problem. You keep citing 6billion as if it was handed to the people striking personally. Time to log off wherever you are getting your "news".

How are we going to avoid another P&O situation with the rail? Thats exactly what the govt are building towards. And as for your sack the lot of them remark. Utterly childish with not a single iota of real world sense. Explain to how that works?

It's capitalism for the poor and socialism for the rich and you seem to be lapping it up.

Im willing to guess if you are self employed your rates have increased in the past 7 years?

Falkirk

What failings?

But you already knew that. as will travelling to a meet by train oh wait we can't do that either because they're on strike."

Then don't organise a meet that requires travelling by train.

Who would then:

operate the signals

Well played sir, well played atlast a well constructed criticism instead of name calling and suggesting that I'm trolling. Well done you !

I have read the RMT demands and there lies the issue I have..Demands!! No one should be demanding anything, sit down with the government work out something where both parties can agree then Implement it not do as the RMT says or we go on strike and cause chaos because their demands are not met, its not the 70s anymore.

No i gave you points previously you ignored them. You are glossing over the unsafe redundancies and the govt now removing peoples right to industrial action. Most laypeople's pay is being artificially suppressed in the UK, you would have us wait for payrise handouts or is their another solution?

Meanwhile in the UK we have companies making record breaking profits and paying no tax. (Shell and BP claim £7m a week in benefits, pay no tax, and have publicly called themselves cash machines due to having more money than they know what to do with). Yet whilst working in this field my pay, along with most others around me, has been stagnant for almost a decade (industry wide)

You clearly don't understand the problem. You keep citing 6billion as if it was handed to the people striking personally. Time to log off wherever you are getting your "news".

How are we going to avoid another P&O situation with the rail? Thats exactly what the govt are building towards. And as for your sack the lot of them remark. Utterly childish with not a single iota of real world sense. Explain to how that works?

It's capitalism for the poor and socialism for the rich and you seem to be lapping it up.

Im willing to guess if you are self employed your rates have increased in the past 7 years?"

Now my opinion is childish? Care to throw in anymore insults? Don't pretend that you know how I work and think you really don't have clue, any union can make up stupid reasons to go on strike instead of sitting round a table and working things ou like reasonable adults not spotting your dummy out because you dint get what you demand. I'm my day to day job that's exactly what's needed between myself and clients, we work out what's best for both parties, strikes achieves nothing and if you think your union will get sympathy votes your sadly mistaken.

I'm not going to go into the rest of your points because to me they are meaningless, very much like this strike as it will achieve absolutely nothing.

What failings?

But you already knew that. as will travelling to a meet by train oh wait we can't do that either because they're on strike.

"

I was being facetious

Falkirk

What failings?

But you already knew that. as will travelling to a meet by train oh wait we can't do that either because they're on strike.

I was being facetious "

No really

What failings?

I was being facetious

No really "

Really

Aberdeenshire

Who would then:

operate the signals

Im willing to guess if you are self employed your rates have increased in the past 7 years? Now my opinion is childish? Care to throw in anymore insults? Don't pretend that you know how I work and think you really don't have clue, any union can make up stupid reasons to go on strike instead of sitting round a table and working things ou like reasonable adults not spotting your dummy out because you dint get what you demand. I'm my day to day job that's exactly what's needed between myself and clients, we work out what's best for both parties, strikes achieves nothing and if you think your union will get sympathy votes your sadly mistaken.

I'm not going to go into the rest of your points because to me they are meaningless, very much like this strike as it will achieve absolutely nothing."

Ah so your rates have increased. Good. That must be nice for you.

You: "Discuss with me....(later) I'm out of my depth here...ok I'm not discussing this anymore"

Govt has stood in way of talks and have encouraged the dispute to divide the nation deliberately. You seem to have difficulty with the very fabric of what has actually occurred these past weeks.

Back to GB news and the daily mail with you now

Falkirk

What failings?

I was being facetious

No really

Really "

Who would have thought it, facetious people on Fab.

Ayrshire

Bring back Thatcher she would have sorted these rogue workers and lefty union guys

near Glasgow

Sit down with the government erm.Grant Shapps created this at Boris command

Falkirk

"Bring back Thatcher she would have sorted these rogue workers and lefty union guys "

Offt Touché

Who would then:

operate the signals

Im willing to guess if you are self employed your rates have increased in the past 7 years? Now my opinion is childish? Care to throw in anymore insults? Don't pretend that you know how I work and think you really don't have clue, any union can make up stupid reasons to go on strike instead of sitting round a table and working things ou like reasonable adults not spotting your dummy out because you dint get what you demand. I'm my day to day job that's exactly what's needed between myself and clients, we work out what's best for both parties, strikes achieves nothing and if you think your union will get sympathy votes your sadly mistaken.

I'm not going to go into the rest of your points because to me they are meaningless, very much like this strike as it will achieve absolutely nothing.

You: "Discuss with me....(later) I'm out of my depth here...ok I'm not discussing this anymore"

Govt has stood in way of talks and have encouraged the dispute to divide the nation deliberately. You seem to have difficulty with the very fabric of what has actually occurred these past weeks.

Back to GB news and the daily mail with you now "

again assuming I'm out of my depth haha you really are deluded if you think that but there's no point in disagreeing with you , you have your opinion I got mines, good luck with your journey on fab

"Sit down with the government erm.Grant Shapps created this at Boris command "

I believe the government offered a 2% wage rise on top of a further 1 or 2% in the coming year so that would be the normal payrise that is given to most public sector workers but they refused.

Falkirk

Who would then:

operate the signals

Back to GB news and the daily mail with you now again assuming I'm out of my depth haha you really are deluded if you think that but there's no point in disagreeing with you , you have your opinion I got mines, good luck with your journey on fab "

Enjoy your journey on the train.

Sorry just had to.

Aberdeenshire

Who would then:

operate the signals

Back to GB news and the daily mail with you now again assuming I'm out of my depth haha you really are deluded if you think that but there's no point in disagreeing with you , you have your opinion I got mines, good luck with your journey on fab "

Yes my opinion based on real world reality. Yours on pie in the sky right wing news propaganda.

Good luck to you too. Personally and professionally.

Who would then:

operate the signals

Back to GB news and the daily mail with you now again assuming I'm out of my depth haha you really are deluded if you think that but there's no point in disagreeing with you , you have your opinion I got mines, good luck with your journey on fab

Enjoy your journey on the train.

Sorry just had to. "

It's been cancelled

By *hebirdsMan  over a year ago

Haddington

"I nearly make 17k a year, can I strike? "

I make 52k a year, can i drive a train?

Seriously. Tarzan the troll is doing a quality impersonation of the Daily Mail. Passionatly creating black and white, good and bad, right and wrong, rich against poor.... when the truth is normally grey.

A unions job is to get the best pay and conditions for their members, end of. They are doing their job.

A government job is to look after the whole countries best interests. They are not doing their job.

I make 52k a year, can i drive a train?

Seriously. Tarzan the troll is doing a quality impersonation of the Daily Mail. Passionatly creating black and white, good and bad, right and wrong, rich against poor.... when the truth is normally grey.

A unions job is to get the best pay and conditions for their members, end of. They are doing their job.

A government job is to look after the whole countries best interests. They are not doing their job."

Lol @ Tarzan the troll, that made me chuckle , the rest of your comment sadly didn't, blame the government on everything eh? How about you taking responsibility for your own life and not rely on tax payers money to get you by? Union reps are the worse of the worse still stuck in the 70s , if your in a job that doesn't pay well and doesnt suit your lifestyle then change it , go to collage or uni and try and improve your potential for being in higher paid job that you earn, it's not rocket science..

Haddington

Mate, that tory doctrine is divisive bollocks. Someone still needs to be the cleaner, binman, shopworker, teaching assistant, carer..... All minimum to living wage and all very hard jobs physically or mentally. No need to look down on people not happy with their wage and advise them to better themselves. They do a valuable job and rightly should have pride in themselves.

The issue the majority of the country needs to unite on is tory sleeze, giving contracts/jobs to their old school chums, pub landlords, mistresses.

I agree with your point about mainstream media but from a differing persepective. The sun, mail, times, telegraph exist to spout propeganda paid with virtual brown envelopes (contracts) between the tories and murdoch etc.

"Mate, that tory doctrine is divisive bollocks. Someone still needs to be the cleaner, binman, shopworker, teaching assistant, carer..... All minimum to living wage and all very hard jobs physically or mentally. No need to look down on people not happy with their wage and advise them to better themselves. They do a valuable job and rightly should have pride in themselves.

The issue the majority of the country needs to unite on is tory sleeze, giving contracts/jobs to their old school chums, pub landlords, mistresses.

I agree with your point about mainstream media but from a differing persepective. The sun, mail, times, telegraph exist to spout propeganda paid with virtual brown envelopes (contracts) between the tories and murdoch etc. "

No harm in bettering yourself, that's exactly what I did and yes you're right but I wasn't looking down on anyone who is working for the minimum wage, I want a £15 an hour minimum wage so every worker feels like they are important to whatever company they choose to work for, yes big business does rip the preverbial pish out of the government and they need to take action against them for doing so but this "it's the government's fault " lambassting is a simple and easy excuse for employers and unions to take advantage off.

If this strike was Im 2 years you'd probably get my vote but we are all struggling to make ends meet with yhis cost of livjng crisis and the wages most rail workers get should be enough to get them through.

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

Yet again you are uneducated about the topic "

Well said.

The OP probably has zero clue on their T&C's or how they are treated

I was involved in all out strikes in the 80's offshore where there were many who would not support stating we earn enough.

You cannot call emergency services if a fire when offshore

Rail staff also have difficult positions

Good on them for standing ground.

Haddington

"Mate, that tory doctrine is divisive bollocks. Someone still needs to be the cleaner, binman, shopworker, teaching assistant, carer..... All minimum to living wage and all very hard jobs physically or mentally. No need to look down on people not happy with their wage and advise them to better themselves. They do a valuable job and rightly should have pride in themselves.

I agree with your point about mainstream media but from a differing persepective. The sun, mail, times, telegraph exist to spout propeganda paid with virtual brown envelopes (contracts) between the tories and murdoch etc. No harm in bettering yourself, that's exactly what I did and yes you're right but I wasn't looking down on anyone who is working for the minimum wage, I want a £15 an hour minimum wage so every worker feels like they are important to whatever company they choose to work for, yes big business does rip the preverbial pish out of the government and they need to take action against them for doing so but this "it's the government's fault " lambassting is a simple and easy excuse for employers and unions to take advantage off.

If this strike was Im 2 years you'd probably get my vote but we are all struggling to make ends meet with yhis cost of livjng crisis and the wages most rail workers get should be enough to get them through."

Dont forget this union led strike doesnt represent many drivers. Its for the conducters, the cleaner, the guards etc. They all earn less than the wages the tory aligned MM are quoting and as with all lower income earners they deserve; no, require, a raise close to the rising cost of living. Dont see how anyone could argue against this.

By *ay40Man  over a year ago

Kinross

You union wants a 7% wage increase on top of your over existing pay , this is about greed and holding the British public to ransom, sack everyone of the people who go out on strike, I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd love 30-40 grand a year and only work 3 or 4 days."

Yes go ahead, sack every single one.

Then....

Think how long it takes to train up one Single train driver never mind every single one you have sacked.

As well as linesmen, engineers, line engineers, people in ticket offices

The network would be on its ass for decades.

Smart thinking OP.

By *yan_200Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Rail Corporations average £350 million profits a year, their CEOs enjoy salaries totalling £10 million quid a year.

Your rail fares have soared 49% since 2010 & rail workers face redundancies & pay cuts.

Commuters & workers are united as one again the greedy rail bosses.

By *uffolkJohnMan  over a year ago

Newmarket

"i think you need a bit more about the average wage in the rail indusry and how the rail industry is finance in England before spouting ill informed nonsense about the strike educate me , how am I ill informed ? "

My granddad used to say 'you can't educate pork'.

Then....

Think how long it takes to train up one Single train driver never mind every single one you have sacked.

Smart thinking OP."

I've already answered your comment if you read up.

Aberdeenshire

Then....

Smart thinking OP."

I think he said he'd find English speaking professionals from another country. Basically the P&O scenario all over again x1000.

By *ighlandguy007Man  over a year ago

inverness

train drivers are not on strike and if they where what level of responsibility do they have? What's the difference between driving a train and say being a lorry driver on a busy road? There's alot more chance of crashing a lorry than a train. "

And look at the pittance truck drivers are paid.

It’s probably just as well for the country that they will never stand together or else the chaos the rail strikes cause would look like a holiday compared to if every haulage company decided to park their trucks up for a few days !!

I’ve a feeling this is unions flexing their muscle and being used by the Labour Party to pile pressure on to the government

train drivers are not on strike and if they where what level of responsibility do they have? What's the difference between driving a train and say being a lorry driver on a busy road? There's alot more chance of crashing a lorry than a train.

It’s probably just as well for the country that they will never stand together or else the chaos the rail strikes cause would look like a holiday compared to if every haulage company decided to park their trucks up for a few days !!

I’ve a feeling this is unions flexing their muscle and being used by the Labour Party to pile pressure on to the government "

That's exactly what Labour are doing but the Conservatives see through it and won't be held ransom to them and their greedy unions.

Ayrshire

I’ve a feeling this is unions flexing their muscle and being used by the Labour Party to pile pressure on to the government

That's exactly what Labour are doing but the Conservatives see through it and won't be held ransom to them and their greedy unions."

Quite !! Since covid I have seen a pay cut of 30%. I am now working much harder for less pay..yet I realise I am fortunate to have a job..n have to adapt to lesser wage. Same railway workers can't be happy with their lot...their wages have increased way above the average over last 20 years !!

Haddington

That's exactly what Labour are doing but the Conservatives see through it and won't be held ransom to them and their greedy unions.

Quite !! Since covid I have seen a pay cut of 30%. I am now working much harder for less pay..yet I realise I am fortunate to have a job..n have to adapt to lesser wage. Same railway workers can't be happy with their lot...their wages have increased way above the average over last 20 years !!"

Workers need to stand united not fight over the crumbs. The rail workers are not on astronomical wages, old the drivers and management are on high wages. The majority are on at best living wages. Blame those who have governed during this time and look at who has benefitted.

Haddington

That's exactly what Labour are doing but the Conservatives see through it and won't be held ransom to them and their greedy unions."

"Greedy unions"!!!

Doing their job seeking a fair pay rise for their members (still way below cost of living increase).

You need to look elsewhere to see the greed.

Seriously dont understand working people voting tory, how do they not see what seems so obvious to me.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"

£60k a year for someone to sit on their arse all day and press a button

Very deserving lol

Ayrshire

Quite !! Since covid I have seen a pay cut of 30%. I am now working much harder for less pay..yet I realise I am fortunate to have a job..n have to adapt to lesser wage. Same railway workers can't be happy with their lot...their wages have increased way above the average over last 20 years !!

Workers need to stand united not fight over the crumbs. The rail workers are not on astronomical wages, old the drivers and management are on high wages. The majority are on at best living wages. Blame those who have governed during this time and look at who has benefitted."

Scot rail is owned by a company owned by the Scottish government..so all you sturgeon lovers think again. It's not Boris up here it's tricky Nicky

By *oversfunCouple  over a year ago

ayrshire

Dont get why your getting your knickers in a twist about,we live in a democracy and workers are aloud to strike if they feel they are being shafted i say good on them for standing up to the right wing tory bstrds

Ayrshire

Dont get why your getting your knickers in a twist about,we live in a democracy and workers are aloud to strike if they feel they are being shafted i say good on them for standing up to the right wing tory bstrds"

Lol ..you are so wrong. Scot rail is owned by Scottish government. Fact ..sturgeon is fxcking people over

ayrshire

So asking for what they think is a fair pay rise is now greedy ? You need have a good hard lòok at yourself

ayrshire

Dont get why your getting your knickers in a twist about,we live in a democracy and workers are aloud to strike if they feel they are being shafted i say good on them for standing up to the right wing tory bstrds

Lol ..you are so wrong. Scot rail is owned by Scottish government. Fact ..sturgeon is fxcking people over"

its nothing to do with snp ,go take your unionist glasses off,oh and its queen nicola to you

By *CCoupleCouple  over a year ago

Aberdeen

It’s not about the drivers at present, everyone knows that. Can you put a price on someone going to work and not coming home though? It’s not that long since it happened up here. That’s what these guys and girls risk when they get in that cab. Don’t station staff & cleaners deserve decent pay? Bigger picture, the country is a mess and that’s not down to railway staff!

Ayrshire

Scot rail is owned by Scottish government so go figure. Sturgeon to busy trying to get out of calmac gate n drugs in Scotland. Loony tune

Aberdeenshire

Hopeless, absolutely hopeless summation of what is actually taking place. Sycophantic Stockholm Syndrome.

Aberdeen

"Scot rail is owned by Scottish government so go figure. Sturgeon to busy trying to get out of calmac gate n drugs in Scotland. Loony tune"

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the current strike!

They’ve had it for five minutes, the problems have been there for years. However, refer to my previous point regarding this topic!

Ayrshire

And ?? What are their employers saying about SNP...? Don't see jack Shit from Nicky she too hell bent on a referendum.

ayrshire

"It’s not about the drivers at present, everyone knows that. Can you put a price on someone going to work and not coming home though? It’s not that long since it happened up here. That’s what these guys and girls risk when they get in that cab. Don’t station staff & cleaners deserve decent pay? Bigger picture, the country is a mess and that’s not down to railway staff!"

Aberdeen

"And ?? What are their employers saying about SNP...? Don't see jack Shit from Nicky she too hell bent on a referendum. "

There is plenty about it in the media, sounded fairly positive over the last 48 hours.

Still has nothing to do with the folk currently striking.

ayrshire

"And ?? What are their employers saying about SNP...? Don't see jack Shit from Nicky she too hell bent on a referendum. "

Go and have a wee lie down take the union jack glasses off and just think of queen nicola lol that might sort your hatered out

By *onniemMan  over a year ago

South Lanarkshire

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now.

He does love to start controversial posts that have nothing to do with swinging. "

He’s an end of a bell and best ignored

By *onniemMan  over a year ago

South Lanarkshire

nothing to do with snp ,go take your unionist glasses off,oh and its queen nicola to you

I prefer Herr Krankie

Lol ..you are so wrong. Scot rail is owned by Scottish government. Fact ..sturgeon is fxcking people over"

The current strikes are Network Rail staff in the RMT. Nothing to do with the SNP. Idiocy is rife in this forum thread.

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

They are striking to ensure they have a safe working environment. Personally I don’t want to see cuts in staffing that will have driver only trains, they want to protect their pensions which are also under threat and they want to ensure pay rises and job security for staff at all levels including the lowest paid. Without the cleaners we’d have dirty trains and stations.

For those that think it’s wrong to strike then I’m sure you also voted for Brexit. Slowly our government is trying to erode workers rights and the power of the unions.

Lol ..you are so wrong. Scot rail is owned by Scottish government. Fact ..sturgeon is fxcking people over

The current strikes are Network Rail staff in the RMT. Nothing to do with the SNP. Idiocy is rife in this forum thread. "

"They are striking to ensure they have a safe working environment. Personally I don’t want to see cuts in staffing that will have driver only trains, they want to protect their pensions which are also under threat and they want to ensure pay rises and job security for staff at all levels including the lowest paid. Without the cleaners we’d have dirty trains and stations.

For those that think it’s wrong to strike then I’m sure you also voted for Brexit. Slowly our government is trying to erode workers rights and the power of the unions. "

Hopeless, absolutely hopeless summation of what is actually taking place. Sycophantic Stockholm Syndrome. "

Wow you really don't like it when someone disagrees with you do you? Even after our conversation had been put to bed and I thought we had moved on you can't help but put your 2 bobs worth in yet again on my comments, obsessed or what? Go back to living in the 1980s with all your union mates were striking was common every week I think you'd be more happier in your life.

"Top trolling, bravo. I see you now.

He does love to start controversial posts that have nothing to do with swinging.

He’s an end of a bell and best ignored "

Yet here you are commenting on one of my threads..laughable m8

"They are striking to ensure they have a safe working environment. Personally I don’t want to see cuts in staffing that will have driver only trains, they want to protect their pensions which are also under threat and they want to ensure pay rises and job security for staff at all levels including the lowest paid. Without the cleaners we’d have dirty trains and stations.

For those that think it’s wrong to strike then I’m sure you also voted for Brexit. Slowly our government is trying to erode workers rights and the power of the unions. "

"And that was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Labour party and the RMT "

By *lassy sexy coupleCouple  over a year ago

near girvan

This is just progress we did not need the dockers miners we have pho that do all what we need we have trains that don’t need drivers so

[Removed by poster at 22/06/22 07:22:43]

Very deserving lol"

Yeah and their 9 hour shift start by driving that big hard train that's on a track for 3 hours, waiting 3 hours having their lunch break before driving back 3 hours.

By *exicolaMan  over a year ago

West Lothian

Very deserving lol

Yeah and their 9 hour shift start by driving that big hard train that's on a track for 3 hours, waiting 3 hours having their lunch break before driving back 3 hours."

You're absolutely clueless mate. Embarrassing yourself.

By *ntherighttrackMan  over a year ago

up the hills

Lots of stuff about train drivers here, wages hours etc. They are under Aslef union.

RMT has all other staff under their wings. Incase no one has noticed, but it is Rmt union workers that are striking not train drivers..

Falkirk

"Lots of stuff about train drivers here, wages hours etc. They are under Aslef union.

RMT has all other staff under their wings. Incase no one has noticed, but it is Rmt union workers that are striking not train drivers.."

Behave yourself with the sensible comments

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

For those that think it’s wrong to strike then I’m sure you also voted for Brexit. Slowly our government is trying to erode workers rights and the power of the unions. "And that was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Labour party and the RMT " "

I don’t work in the industry but I am a member of my union. If we don’t stand up for our rights now then in years to come there will be no protection for employees. Our pensions will be worthless and we’ll be working into our 70’s because we can’t afford to retire.

Very deserving lol

Yeah and their 9 hour shift start by driving that big hard train that's on a track for 3 hours, waiting 3 hours having their lunch break before driving back 3 hours.

You're absolutely clueless mate. Embarrassing yourself. "

Not clueless at all, I've a mate who's a train driver and even he admits it's easy money for a simple job.

For those that think it’s wrong to strike then I’m sure you also voted for Brexit. Slowly our government is trying to erode workers rights and the power of the unions. "And that was a party political broadcast on behalf of the Labour party and the RMT "

I don’t work in the industry but I am a member of my union. If we don’t stand up for our rights now then in years to come there will be no protection for employees. Our pensions will be worthless and we’ll be working into our 70’s because we can’t afford to retire.

"

Oh I'm sure if labour got into power then you won't be needing protection but that will never happen along as SIR keir stammer is your leader, anyone with a sir in their name in a socialist party will never become a prime minister.

Re- pensions and working into your 70s because we won't be able to retire is absolute nonsense, 1st up your lucky you still have a works pension not alot of working people do and secondly the age of retiring isn't about wages or work status its about the fact people are living much longer these days so the age for working has to be increased to meet these new changes.

By *ighlandguy007Man  over a year ago

inverness

"It’s not about the drivers at present, everyone knows that. Can you put a price on someone going to work and not coming home though? It’s not that long since it happened up here. That’s what these guys and girls risk when they get in that cab. Don’t station staff & cleaners deserve decent pay? Bigger picture, the country is a mess and that’s not down to railway staff!"

By that reckoning as I work in the construction industry. that has the highest death rate of workers in industry. then I should be on about £100,000.00 a year

Where do I sign up