FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Gym buddies?

Gym buddies?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *thanDiPool OP   Man 36 weeks ago

ALLOA

Looking for a gym partner.

Someone to train with. Go to classes what not.

Not expecting anything. Just got a membership to The peak in stirling if anyone works out there. If u don't want it public feel free to dm me

Any tips for beginners?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ofnungslosMan 36 weeks ago

town

Classes are good, but can make you feel a bit silly as first.

Tip, if you go once a week that’s great, twice is great etc but do not go too often. Make sure you rest and is actually your food intake that’s the most important.

You don’t really have to cut all the calories and start eating greens, just small tweaks here and there. Cut out sugary drinks and fast food.

Weights are your best friend over cardio, it’s more enjoyable thus making you want to go back. Cardio is like a slow death at times.

If you ever need a plan sent over buddy, be more than happy to. No costs just good karma

By *BCxCouple 36 weeks ago

North Lanarkshire

"Classes are good, but can make you feel a bit silly as first.

Tip, if you go once a week that’s great, twice is great etc but do not go too often. Make sure you rest and is actually your food intake that’s the most important.

You don’t really have to cut all the calories and start eating greens, just small tweaks here and there. Cut out sugary drinks and fast food.

Weights are your best friend over cardio, it’s more enjoyable thus making you want to go back. Cardio is like a slow death at times.

If you ever need a plan sent over buddy, be more than happy to. No costs just good karma "

What's the best weights to use to start out with? All I seem to do is treadmill etc and knees are taking a hit now

By *uietbloke67Man 36 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Me tae, only a wummin wan though and I'll be lookin fur a shag.

Ps

I'll be doing absolutely no gym activity.

Answers on a postcard please?

By *uietbloke67Man 36 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

If you ever need a plan sent over buddy, be more than happy to. No costs just good karma

What's the best weights to use to start out with? All I seem to do is treadmill etc and knees are taking a hit now "

See above....me

I'm one helva weight

By *eiaorganaWoman 36 weeks ago

Dundee

Take advantage of a free induction session with one of the PTs, most do them. It will give you a better idea of what exercises to do and what weights etc.

If anyone is having trouble with their knees you'd be better with the cross trainer than the treadmill as its lower impact on the knees. I hate it but I burn 75cal on it at the beginning of every session as a warm up.

By *tarmix2020Man 36 weeks ago

glasgow

Just start with free weights.

strong lifts is a good programme to start.

By *avie65Man 36 weeks ago

In the west.

I usually warm up on the cross trainer OP. Then a mixture of machines and free weights. I don't tend to go above 16kg with free weights, but I go a bit heavier on machines although it depends what part of my body I'm working on.

I take plenty of breaks and drink regularly between sets.

By *thanDiPool OP   Man 36 weeks ago

ALLOA

Thanks guys. The woma. Showed me some machines had me doing pull ups and all sorts. Set me up on a mini program. We did learn that my legs aren't made to leg press tho haha

By (user no longer on site) 36 weeks ago

What's the best weights to use to start out with? All I seem to do is treadmill etc and knees are taking a hit now "

Compound movements will help you to burn calories quicker. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press and rows are the big 5. They use lots of supporting muscles so while you might think a deadlift is for your back cause that's where you feel it, your shoulders, legs, arms etc. all feel it too.

They are quite advanced exercises though so worth booking time with a member of the gym staff to make sure your form is right so you don't injure yourself.

There's no right or wrong weight exercise. Pick what works for you. There's certain exercises I can't do because of an elbow injury so I swap them out for others.

By *1dsummernightsdreamCouple 36 weeks ago

fife / London

Heavy as you can. 8 to 10 reps and you want to aiming for 3 to 4 reps. And failing on the 3rd or 4 set around rep 6. Then when you can do all 4 sets add more

By *aftSpunkMan 36 weeks ago

Motherwell

BC if you're looking for some training advice I'd be happy to talk you over some suggestions for you. I do this as a profession and would be happy to help if you think it's something you'd like. Drop me a message if interested. Just be glad to help someone who is unsure with training and weights.

town

What's the best weights to use to start out with? All I seem to do is treadmill etc and knees are taking a hit now

Compound movements will help you to burn calories quicker. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench press and rows are the big 5. They use lots of supporting muscles so while you might think a deadlift is for your back cause that's where you feel it, your shoulders, legs, arms etc. all feel it too.

They are quite advanced exercises though so worth booking time with a member of the gym staff to make sure your form is right so you don't injure yourself.

There's no right or wrong weight exercise. Pick what works for you. There's certain exercises I can't do because of an elbow injury so I swap them out for others. "

I’d have to slightly disagree here. If your knees are wearing down from running, switch to cycling and until they are back to a good level of normality, avoid weighted compound moves such as squats. Try not avoid leg pressing, you could go for body weight lunges.

A good starting point is a 3 day split, push, pull, legs. Any standard push/pull routine would work well until you have a good solid baseline of muscle fitness and memory. That’s when it’s a good time to change it up as your body will start getting used to it.

I’d then say from there would be you routine of chest, back, shoulders, legs and arms, or again whatever suits your identified goals & life routines.

Inbox is always open if anyone needs a little help

town

"

BC if you're looking for some training advice I'd be happy to talk you over some suggestions for you. I do this as a profession and would be happy to help if you think it's something you'd like. Drop me a message if interested. Just be glad to help someone who is unsure with training and weights."

By *BCxCouple 36 weeks ago

North Lanarkshire

BC if you're looking for some training advice I'd be happy to talk you over some suggestions for you. I do this as a profession and would be happy to help if you think it's something you'd like. Drop me a message if interested. Just be glad to help someone who is unsure with training and weights."

Cheers

By *assy LassieWoman 36 weeks ago

Lanarkshire

There's no right or wrong weight exercise. Pick what works for you. There's certain exercises I can't do because of an elbow injury so I swap them out for others.

I’d have to slightly disagree here. If your knees are wearing down from running, switch to cycling and until they are back to a good level of normality, avoid weighted compound moves such as squats. Try not avoid leg pressing, you could go for body weight lunges.

A good starting point is a 3 day split, push, pull, legs. Any standard push/pull routine would work well until you have a good solid baseline of muscle fitness and memory. That’s when it’s a good time to change it up as your body will start getting used to it.

I’d then say from there would be you routine of chest, back, shoulders, legs and arms, or again whatever suits your identified goals & life routines.

Inbox is always open if anyone needs a little help"

You should organise a weekly gym social

By (user no longer on site) 36 weeks ago

"Just start with free weights.

strong lifts is a good programme to start. "

second this! app is free easy to follow and pretty much bullet proof.

and it got me hooked. now strong af lol

» Add a new message to this topic