FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > January Gyming

January Gyming

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ralPerfectionist OP   Man 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

As ever January feels like a month to start a health kick so curious which gyms or brands Fabers recommend?

Used to use Pure Gym but now at JD. love JD but curious to try somewhere new.

Also any users PTs? Something I've been curious about.

Not trying to body shame or make anyone uncomfortable.

Just discussing recommendations.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *luebell888Woman 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

I would recommend that you all save your money and just walk, run or hill climb in the fresh air.

By *ittleMizzNaughty88.Woman 20 weeks ago

Renfrewshire

I use One Ren purely for the fact I can go for a swim.

By (user no longer on site) 20 weeks ago

Jd gym ek. Graft is graft no matter what gym you go to really. Just need to keep going .

By *M60Couple 20 weeks ago

Central Scotland

Private gym near Stirling started by a bodybuilder and 90% of the clientele are either Bodybuilders or Powerlifters.

By *lam granWoman 20 weeks ago

falkirk

"I would recommend that you all save your money and just walk, run or hill climb in the fresh air."

I probably fall more into this camp but for some people the gym offers social interaction too. I used to love the body pump and combat classes when I was younger.

falkirk

"I would recommend that you all save your money and just walk, run or hill climb in the fresh air.

I probably fall more into this camp but for some people the gym offers social interaction too. I used to love the body pump and combat classes when I was younger."

That was in the Glasgow Club. Either Tollcross or the Gorbals. Last time I was in they looked manky.

By *JandCunniCouple 20 weeks ago

North Ayrshire

Well see being a Forseter for the PFSS this year through them am now reaching out . For a Dog who has nothing .

By *xybumWoman 20 weeks ago

East Kilbride

Try looking at private gyms? I go to one and do small group personal training. I love it, if you can afford it it’s defo worth it! All strength training then do cardio outdoors

By *arrach67Man 20 weeks ago

Stirlingshire

That’s exactly what I do now after being a CrossFit member .. much better out in Mother Nature

"I would recommend that you all save your money and just walk, run or hill climb in the fresh air."

By *oneys1Couple 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

Everlast at Glasgow Fort

By *razytimesinloveCouple 20 weeks ago

SW Scotland

I (Mr) go to a powerlifting/strongman gym.

I’ve use the big chain gyms when away with work and absolutely hate how busy they get and how little respect people have for the kit.

By *r Horny and Mrs NaughtyCouple 20 weeks ago

Lanarkish

I (Mrs) go to a strongman gym and am training to be a pt. Currently setting up my own wee gym in the garage x

I use the Village Gym, nice facilities.

By *izzmasterzeroMan 20 weeks ago

Aberdeen

It depends on what you want from a gym I suppose and what your looking to achieve. Some people want it to be a social thing so picking a local gym with classes will benefit or maybe a crossfit gym if your mental, some folks want to get all big and burly so the typical pure gym won't really be great so seek out a strongman gym. I stopped going to the gym as I hate people, saving money and time I got a few kettlebells of my own and workout at home, about to get a strongman sandbag and that will be everything I need, it'll do me nicely for the rest of my life.

By *rdadjokesMan 20 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I like a mixture of things for bad weather days I enjoy bootcamp classes and mixing with others and made good friends from it and helps with accountability and showing up.

But I don't always like being stuck indoors so going to mix it up with running, paddle boarding and hill walking connect with myself and see the world from different perspectives.

SW Scotland

"It depends on what you want from a gym I suppose and what your looking to achieve. Some people want it to be a social thing so picking a local gym with classes will benefit or maybe a crossfit gym if your mental, some folks want to get all big and burly so the typical pure gym won't really be great so seek out a strongman gym. I stopped going to the gym as I hate people, saving money and time I got a few kettlebells of my own and workout at home, about to get a strongman sandbag and that will be everything I need, it'll do me nicely for the rest of my life. "

If you have the budget I recommend Cerberus sandbags. Fiddly to fill as well, but mine has lasted me over a year and is still in perfect condition

By *oberto7Man 20 weeks ago

Greenock

Don't waste your money on Personal trainers! Most aren't even qualified,Sensible eating & plenty of walks will do the trick

By *izzmasterzeroMan 20 weeks ago

Aberdeen

"It depends on what you want from a gym I suppose and what your looking to achieve. Some people want it to be a social thing so picking a local gym with classes will benefit or maybe a crossfit gym if your mental, some folks want to get all big and burly so the typical pure gym won't really be great so seek out a strongman gym. I stopped going to the gym as I hate people, saving money and time I got a few kettlebells of my own and workout at home, about to get a strongman sandbag and that will be everything I need, it'll do me nicely for the rest of my life.

If you have the budget I recommend Cerberus sandbags. Fiddly to fill as well, but mine has lasted me over a year and is still in perfect condition"

Yeah that's the one I've been looking at, narrowed it down to cerberus or mirafit but cerberus is the one I'm going for. Also was debating between the round strongman style or the long style with the handles

SW Scotland

I’ve always used the round strongman style ones

By *mbergirl1984Woman 20 weeks ago

glasgow

So if you can afford a good PT then it’s definitely worth it, but like someone said above make sure they know what they are talking about. I have PT once a week and train another 2/3 days and he defo keeps me on track!

By *ab365XMan 20 weeks ago

Paisley

I’m a member of Pro-Life in Paisley.

It’s such a fantastic gym, I can’t fault it.

By *r Horny and Mrs NaughtyCouple 20 weeks ago

Lanarkish

"It depends on what you want from a gym I suppose and what your looking to achieve. Some people want it to be a social thing so picking a local gym with classes will benefit or maybe a crossfit gym if your mental, some folks want to get all big and burly so the typical pure gym won't really be great so seek out a strongman gym. I stopped going to the gym as I hate people, saving money and time I got a few kettlebells of my own and workout at home, about to get a strongman sandbag and that will be everything I need, it'll do me nicely for the rest of my life.

If you have the budget I recommend Cerberus sandbags. Fiddly to fill as well, but mine has lasted me over a year and is still in perfect condition"

I second Cerberus ones.

"I’m a member of Pro-Life in Paisley.

It’s such a fantastic gym, I can’t fault it. "

I prefer Pro Choice gyms

Paisley

"I’m a member of Pro-Life in Paisley.

It’s such a fantastic gym, I can’t fault it.

I prefer Pro Choice gyms "

Lol, it’s such an unfortunate name for a gym!

falkirk

Talking about equipment, if folk are looking for cheaper home equipment and just starting out,Aldi have all their Kettlewell and sandbags in just now. Only go up to 20kg so won't be heavy enough for some folk but good if you're looking to start somewhere.

falkirk

* kettlebell not kettlewell.

By *obert_1Man 20 weeks ago

somewhere

I enjoy running but I also like the gym as there are times I just can’t be arsed getting cold and wet.

By *ithardscotMan 20 weeks ago

Kelty

Try training consistently all year round. Find a sport or hobby you like. I do a martial art, it motivates me always.

Don't wear gloves just don't.

falkirk

"Try training consistently all year round. Find a sport or hobby you like. I do a martial art, it motivates me always."

I'm not about to argue with a man who puts his nutsack in vice. You win.

About to go back after not being there most of December, just the council one, hopefully it's not too busy.

By *ofnungslosMan 20 weeks ago

town

I start back properly this weekend, my injuries have been ridiculous across 2023 and recently my eating hasn’t been great. Really annoyed at myself but it is what it is.

OP I’m also at JD gyms, the PTs at my one seem to be a little better than the 12 week crash course empty shirts they have at Pure Gym but I’m not sure I’d pay their fees.

Have a look at online coaches, they can do your eating plans, workout plans and you will check in with them weekly. Usually the same cost as an in-gym PT but they will have a much larger client portfolio that you can research.

@sammilne_ is very good

Paisley

"Don't wear gloves just don't."

Lol, bitch mitts!

By *allerthanaverage79Man 20 weeks ago

Ayrshire

No excuse when I've got my own, except injury lol

By *allerthanaverage79Man 20 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"Don't wear gloves just don't."

Just break your fingers and/Ur knuckles- unless your not punching hard?

New year new me bullshit .. pmsl ..

By *ravellingcdTV/TS 20 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Ayr - Gym Group Heathfield

By *Kcouple292022Couple 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

We swing between Nuffield and ufit - no pun intended!

By *ofnungslosMan 19 weeks ago

town

"We swing between Nuffield and ufit - no pun intended!"

Only problem with the Nuffield ones is they all seem quite small and get super busy. I can’t stand the JD Gym I’m at as it’s too dark, but waiting for the NY rush to end before finding another

By *ralPerfectionist OP   Man 19 weeks ago

Glasgow

"We swing between Nuffield and ufit - no pun intended!

Only problem with the Nuffield ones is they all seem quite small and get super busy. I can’t stand the JD Gym I’m at as it’s too dark, but waiting for the NY rush to end before finding another "

Nuffield feels super expensive, but yeah investment in something you enjoy is worth it.

I like JD. The Glasgow ones are different vibes though. One more open plan than the other. Wouldn't say too dark though so maybe I'm at a different one?

By *o scandalousWoman 19 weeks ago

Glasgow

I’m at a PureGym. Has the equipment I need and the fancy water machine.

By *oss1985Man 19 weeks ago

Glasgow

Pure gym here also

By *iceandthicktwoMan 19 weeks ago

glasgow

Use a independent gym in north glasgow

Boxing and weights

Good mix of people

By *uietbloke67Man 19 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Achh Blubell and MrA are probably right. Can't beat a bit of walking, running etc to get yourself fitter and it doesn't matter which gym you go to.

If you don't break sweat then your wasting your money.

Personally I've joined a gym for until Feb then it's back to running, cycling and hopefully some hillwalking.

As long as your trying, that's all that matters.

#chubby24

By *isterp44Man 19 weeks ago

Glasgow

Let the January rush continue. No matter what you choose to do to stay active. Just be consistent and enjoy it.

I have too many memberships but I enjoy them all. Gym, Pilates, golf, walking, swimming etc. Anyone looking for an exercise buddy, give me a shout

By *ockboy77Man 19 weeks ago

Angus, and Aberdeen area

Glasgow Club for me… just as good as mega bucks private gyms tbh and plenty to choose from.

Ok some are bit better than others but weights are weights…

By *allerthanaverage79Man 19 weeks ago

Ayrshire

Stick to horizontal jogging- most enjoyable exercise!!!

By *ymteacherr30Man 19 weeks ago

central belt

Well I work at the gym and let’s say it’s absolutely busy atm

By *ralPerfectionist OP   Man 19 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Well I work at the gym and let’s say it’s absolutely busy atm "

That makes more sense, read your username like you were a school gym teacher.

Do you take classes or PT?

By *ofnungslosMan 19 weeks ago

town

"Well I work at the gym and let’s say it’s absolutely busy atm

Do you take classes or PT?"

Don’t waste your time buddy, he will just google the responses the same way he did to find a profile picture to use…

By *assy LassieWoman 19 weeks ago

Lanarkshire

"Well I work at the gym and let’s say it’s absolutely busy atm

Do you take classes or PT?

Don’t waste your time buddy, he will just google the responses the same way he did to find a profile picture to use… "

Ohhhh shot fired!!

Scurries away to find some popcorn

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

I saw someone fall off a treadmill last night, I obviously was a concerned fellow gym-goer and helped them. Inside I laughed.

100% agree. Save your money. Get decent footwear and a jacket and walk in Scotland. We have some lovely walks in this country. Download walk Highlands app get out there. As Billy Connolly says " get yourself a secy rain coat and live a bit" lol

By *inkPlusWoman 19 weeks ago

glasgow

I go to a strongman gym and a 24 hr commercial gym, if you have the opportunity get a PT I absolutely recommend it. I started over a year ago with mine and I’ve gone from hating the gym to not being able to live without it and entering my first strong women comp this year!!

By *at-me-drink-meWoman 19 weeks ago

w.lothian.TAKE ME TO WONDERLAND

No gym for me my pt(bootcamp) moved gym. So will be calorie counting and doin 25/25 thousand steps a day when i get my finger out

By *isge BeathaWoman 19 weeks ago

Here, There and Everywhere

I've been rather remiss lately due to holidays and this cold bug but will be back with a vengeance on Monday! I usually do 12-14 classes a week as I don't have the motivation to do my own program using weights etc.

Different things work for different people. I like classes as they're all different and it's good having brilliant instructors that push and motivate you.

By *razytimesinloveCouple 19 weeks ago

SW Scotland

"I go to a strongman gym and a 24 hr commercial gym, if you have the opportunity get a PT I absolutely recommend it. I started over a year ago with mine and I’ve gone from hating the gym to not being able to live without it and entering my first strong women comp this year!! "

Good luck for your comp !

glasgow

Thank you!!

By *r Horny and Mrs NaughtyCouple 19 weeks ago

Lanarkish

"I go to a strongman gym and a 24 hr commercial gym, if you have the opportunity get a PT I absolutely recommend it. I started over a year ago with mine and I’ve gone from hating the gym to not being able to live without it and entering my first strong women comp this year!! "

Good luck in your comp! I done my first one last year

Mrs x

glasgow

Thank you! Amazing! Did you enjoy it? Xx

Lanarkish

"Thank you! Amazing! Did you enjoy it? Xx"

I didn’t at the time but looking back yeah I did. Not signed up for anymore yet tho lol.

Mrs x

glasgow

Well done for signing up! What it a strong women comp? Defo should sign up for another!! Xx

Lanarkish

"Well done for signing up! What it a strong women comp? Defo should sign up for another!! Xx"

Yeah it was strongwoman . Never say never but I’m happy just training the now lol. I’ll go and support the other girls lol.

Mrs x

I use the JD gym in renfrew. I’m going to do less cardio this year as I feel it’s starting to take its toll on my knees and back and concentrate more on weights

By *oyalAlMan 19 weeks ago

GLASGOW

Village Hotel

Does anyone use puregym giffnock that fairly new? Thinking of joining as local to me. Is it mobbed all the time as new?

By *iceandthicktwoMan 17 weeks ago

glasgow

How’s everyone’s gym training going?

By *ofnungslosMan 17 weeks ago

town

"How’s everyone’s gym training going? "

I start later today, so Itl will be horrific man

By *randmissdemeanourMan 17 weeks ago

glasgow

I have been using puregym EK and it is pretty good. I have been working hard since the new year on my own regime but I think I need to start classes to keep my motivation. I was going to get a personal trainer but the one at the gym has terrible B.O.

By *BootyfulDayWoman 17 weeks ago

"How’s everyone’s gym training going?

I start later today, so Itl will be horrific man "

You’re going to smash it!

By *BootyfulDayWoman 17 weeks ago

I’m at pure gym….i don’t mind it as it works for me if I need to go to the gym after 11pm. I have been this month at the peak time and it was scary though!

But for what I need it for it works for me. I do enjoy getting outdoors for walks but I just don’t do it enough whereas when I get my bum to the gym I do tend to work out

By *ralPerfectionist OP   Man 17 weeks ago

Glasgow

I've been hearing people say they've been surprised at how un-january like the gyms have been this year. Quieter than most years. JD has been fine but always busy evening times.

This weather though it's hard to just focus on getting out the door!

» Add a new message to this topic