FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Fitness

Fitness

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *tarFox88 OP   Man 11 weeks ago

Airdrie

This more of a feeler post. Am wanting to get a bit healthier but not sure where to start. Am slim build but would like to build up a bit. Looking for people who know about nutrition, fitness and exercise. More so help on how to start. Bit shy so not wanting to go to a gym but any pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance Fab

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *adbury girlWoman 11 weeks ago

Lanarkshire

"This more of a feeler post. Am wanting to get a bit healthier but not sure where to start. Am slim build but would like to build up a bit. Looking for people who know about nutrition, fitness and exercise. More so help on how to start. Bit shy so not wanting to go to a gym but any pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance Fab "

There is a great guy on Facebook/Instagram etc who gives advice on nutrition, healthy eating and exercise. Fraser Reynolds.

He makes loads of easy recipes to try which got me into batch cooking saving me money on wastage and buying junk food at lunch times

By *agnar73Man 11 weeks ago

Glasgow

"This more of a feeler post. Am wanting to get a bit healthier but not sure where to start. Am slim build but would like to build up a bit. Looking for people who know about nutrition, fitness and exercise. More so help on how to start. Bit shy so not wanting to go to a gym but any pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance Fab "

Have a look at apps that might get you out walking, even if it’s a couple of times to make hour a day you’ll feel a benefit

Airdrie

I’ll give him a look and thank you because am unsure where to start.

Airdrie

I made the mistake of the first day of starting this going for a major run round my town. Should have walked it first because I thought my legs where never going to stop hurting haha

By *ofnungslosMan 11 weeks ago

town

If you are wanting to bulk up, reduce the cardio that will have your heart rate working at above 50-70% of your max. In English it means, walk more rather than run. Slow paced cycles above spinning classes.

Eat a carbs and protein based diet with lower fat intake, push-pull day program would be a good starting point too.

UK Muscle is a useful community based website to have a poke about

By *n_the_air_tonightMan 11 weeks ago

Glasgow

I learned a tonne about fitness from Jeff Nippard on YouTube - I’d wholeheartedly recommend checking him out.

There is a *tonne* of snake oil out there so be very mindful of not falling for any fitness scams, and don’t believe anyone who says you must do this or that special exercise to gain muscle or lose fat. As a newbie you’ll be amazed at how quickly you can improve your body with simple exercises - you really don’t need to do anything fancy.

Starting off with two or three weightlifting sessions in the gym per week, along with a few 30 to 45 minute outdoor walks per week, will put you on a great course.

By *thleticLad100Man 10 weeks ago

Greenock

Get urself a PT, there's nothing wrong with being coached and it will set u off in the right direction rather than pick up bad habits. If you want to put on 'bulk' ur not going to get that through cardio ur going to have to do some sort of weight training. If ur uncomfortable at a gym then u can do plenty of home work outs even if its just body weight. But gyms aren't as scary as u think, no one is looking at u and everyone has to start somewhere. There's a tonne of really good guys on insta who promote good lifestyle choices and ways to train. The hard part is actually thr nutrition, the only way to get bigger is to be in a calorie surplus. It's actually harder than you would think

By *VfunGUY007Man 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Eat more,

Do less cardio,

Try protein shakes And creatine,

And also unless your a stunning girl with a lovely lycra clad ass in the gym you won't get many people looking at you

By *luebell888Woman 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

I just walk quite a few miles everyday with my dogs. Cheaper than some gym pass.

By *tarFox88 OP   Man 10 weeks ago

Airdrie

Cheers people plenty for me to look into with this. Really appreciate all the advice

By *r Horny and Mrs NaughtyCouple 10 weeks ago

Lanarkish

Thanks in advance Fab "

Pm us. Mrs is a gym instructor soon to be pt too. Happy to give you some hints any tips.

Mrs x

Airdrie

Thanks in advance Fab

Pm us. Mrs is a gym instructor soon to be pt too. Happy to give you some hints any tips.

Mrs x "

Can’t message you because you have single guys restricted but would love any tips, hints or pointers you can give

By *traighttothepoint121Man 10 weeks ago

Lanarkshire

I would ignore anybody who tells you to do less cardio when your asking about fitness, cardio is crucial after all whats the point in having muscles if they are hiding behind a lump of fat which you will only burn through cardio training, ypur training should be based on what type of build or look you want. I was 226 pounds just over a year ago with 33% fat, now at 22% and muscle mass has almost doubled. Ps dont listen to anybody who tells ypu to take protein shakes, too many people cutting corners when a natural healthy diet is the best. Feel free to pm me if you want advice on training programes

Lanarkshire

I would ignore anybody who tells you to do less cardio when your asking about fitness, cardio is crucial after all whats the point in having muscles if they are hiding behind a lump of fat which you will only burn through cardio training, ypur training should be based on what type of build or look you want. I was 226 pounds just over a year ago with 33% fat, now at 22% and muscle mass has almost doubled. Ps dont listen to anybody who tells ypu to take protein shakes, too many people cutting corners when a natural healthy diet is the best. Feel free to pm me if you want advice on training programes

By *itty Jack SparrowMan 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

My other Half is a PT and I'm in decent ish shape having been skinny fat most of my adult life. I struggle to put on weight and muscle. Used lockdown to get in shape and now I'm madly in love with a fitness model/PT that adores me so it definitely opens up doors being in shape lol The biggest change to make is consistency. Go and lift weights 3/4 times a week starting with full body compund movements or an upper/lower split. It's the best overall bang for buck in the initial stages of training. Improves cardio as well. Obviously your goals will influence the ratio or cardio/weight training. A half arsed session is better than none at all so force yourself to go. The first minth or so sucks from the DOMs and you'll be sore all the time which is mentally draining but after you get over that you can mostly train without being in crippling pain every time and you'll start to see changes quickly. A PT is great for accountability and taking the guesswork out but you can achieve the same results in your own. Consistency is really the main hurdle you need to get over though am did try and get that locked down first before worrying too much about nutrition and which programme etc after that first month or so of getting in the routine there's some great advice from others above mate. Hope you stick to it, being in good shape really makes huge developments in your life. There's no drug or money that replaces the feeling of being in a strong body that you've grafted for. X

By *razytimesinloveCouple 10 weeks ago

SW Scotland

I’d recommend a coach/pt. Get a program to follow from them and they’ll be able to at least give a few pointers about eating.

You’ll also have someone checking your form while exercising and hopefully keep you injury free

By *r Horny and Mrs NaughtyCouple 10 weeks ago

Lanarkish

"My other Half is a PT and I'm in decent ish shape having been skinny fat most of my adult life. I struggle to put on weight and muscle. Used lockdown to get in shape and now I'm madly in love with a fitness model/PT that adores me so it definitely opens up doors being in shape lol The biggest change to make is consistency. Go and lift weights 3/4 times a week starting with full body compund movements or an upper/lower split. It's the best overall bang for buck in the initial stages of training. Improves cardio as well. Obviously your goals will influence the ratio or cardio/weight training. A half arsed session is better than none at all so force yourself to go. The first minth or so sucks from the DOMs and you'll be sore all the time which is mentally draining but after you get over that you can mostly train without being in crippling pain every time and you'll start to see changes quickly. A PT is great for accountability and taking the guesswork out but you can achieve the same results in your own. Consistency is really the main hurdle you need to get over though am did try and get that locked down first before worrying too much about nutrition and which programme etc after that first month or so of getting in the routine there's some great advice from others above mate. Hope you stick to it, being in good shape really makes huge developments in your life. There's no drug or money that replaces the feeling of being in a strong body that you've grafted for. X"

This ???????? x

Greenock

"I would ignore anybody who tells you to do less cardio when your asking about fitness, cardio is crucial after all whats the point in having muscles if they are hiding behind a lump of fat which you will only burn through cardio training, ypur training should be based on what type of build or look you want. I was 226 pounds just over a year ago with 33% fat, now at 22% and muscle mass has almost doubled. Ps dont listen to anybody who tells ypu to take protein shakes, too many people cutting corners when a natural healthy diet is the best. Feel free to pm me if you want advice on training programes "

This has actually really annoyed me for some reason lol! The reason folk are recommending no cardio is because he wants to bulk and put on mass. Cardio will not help this! What ur saying is true if ur gial is to lose weight but there's a time and place for everything. I always say to folk exercise isn't the best way to lose weight. U could do loads of cardio and have amazing heart and lungs but still be iberweight if ur in a calorie surplus. Cardio obviously has its own health benefits and means when ur older ull be able to get up and down the stairs. Weight training has its advantages but should be used for building muscle and means when ur older u can get up and down from the toilet. The ONLY way to lose weight is being in a calorie defecit (and yes there are many ways to achieve this) and the only way to put on mass is to be in a calorie surplus. Saying don't take Protein shakes it's ridiculous too. They have their place like everything else. For the record I don't use them as I get my protein from whole foods (as u suggest) but not everyone can do that and it's a quick and easy way to get Protein in ur body. Everybody is different so promote good habits and best thing u can do is learn about these things. Loads of folk have given good advice. There are loads of good influencers on social, Jeff Nippard has been mentioned who I found was excellent at explaining things. But bite thr bullet bad get a PT so u start ont he right foot. Ask all the questions u need. Actually if the OG wants to DM me I'll give u loads of good advice, tips and places to look for good info etc

By *ilo108Man 10 weeks ago

Prestonpans

I’m a big fan of kettlebells. Improve both strength and cardio if used right. I’ve followed the Simple and Sinister program from Strong First and can’t recommend it enough.

By *isstucWoman 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Identify what your goals are . Then break them down in to how you can achieve them realistically - getting a pt /coach who is qualified will really help and get to know your macros !

By *n_the_air_tonightMan 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 27/02/24 23:11:50]

By *n_the_air_tonightMan 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

"I would ignore anybody who tells you to do less cardio when your asking about fitness, cardio is crucial after all whats the point in having muscles if they are hiding behind a lump of fat which you will only burn through cardio training, ypur training should be based on what type of build or look you want. I was 226 pounds just over a year ago with 33% fat, now at 22% and muscle mass has almost doubled. Ps dont listen to anybody who tells ypu to take protein shakes, too many people cutting corners when a natural healthy diet is the best. Feel free to pm me if you want advice on training programes

This has actually really annoyed me for some reason lol! The reason folk are recommending no cardio is because he wants to bulk and put on mass. Cardio will not help this! What ur saying is true if ur gial is to lose weight but there's a time and place for everything. I always say to folk exercise isn't the best way to lose weight. U could do loads of cardio and have amazing heart and lungs but still be iberweight if ur in a calorie surplus. Cardio obviously has its own health benefits and means when ur older ull be able to get up and down the stairs. Weight training has its advantages but should be used for building muscle and means when ur older u can get up and down from the toilet. The ONLY way to lose weight is being in a calorie defecit (and yes there are many ways to achieve this) and the only way to put on mass is to be in a calorie surplus. Saying don't take Protein shakes it's ridiculous too. They have their place like everything else. For the record I don't use them as I get my protein from whole foods (as u suggest) but not everyone can do that and it's a quick and easy way to get Protein in ur body. Everybody is different so promote good habits and best thing u can do is learn about these things. Loads of folk have given good advice. There are loads of good influencers on social, Jeff Nippard has been mentioned who I found was excellent at explaining things. But bite thr bullet bad get a PT so u start ont he right foot. Ask all the questions u need. Actually if the OG wants to DM me I'll give u loads of good advice, tips and places to look for good info etc "

Everything you’re saying makes sense, but the guy is a newbie. The most important thing is consistency. As long as he hits the weights three times a week, he’ll make rapid progress regardless of whether he does cardio or chugs protein shakes.

By *razytimesinloveCouple 10 weeks ago

SW Scotland

"I would ignore anybody who tells you to do less cardio when your asking about fitness, cardio is crucial after all whats the point in having muscles if they are hiding behind a lump of fat which you will only burn through cardio training, ypur training should be based on what type of build or look you want. I was 226 pounds just over a year ago with 33% fat, now at 22% and muscle mass has almost doubled. Ps dont listen to anybody who tells ypu to take protein shakes, too many people cutting corners when a natural healthy diet is the best. Feel free to pm me if you want advice on training programes

This has actually really annoyed me for some reason lol! The reason folk are recommending no cardio is because he wants to bulk and put on mass. Cardio will not help this! What ur saying is true if ur gial is to lose weight but there's a time and place for everything. I always say to folk exercise isn't the best way to lose weight. U could do loads of cardio and have amazing heart and lungs but still be iberweight if ur in a calorie surplus. Cardio obviously has its own health benefits and means when ur older ull be able to get up and down the stairs. Weight training has its advantages but should be used for building muscle and means when ur older u can get up and down from the toilet. The ONLY way to lose weight is being in a calorie defecit (and yes there are many ways to achieve this) and the only way to put on mass is to be in a calorie surplus. Saying don't take Protein shakes it's ridiculous too. They have their place like everything else. For the record I don't use them as I get my protein from whole foods (as u suggest) but not everyone can do that and it's a quick and easy way to get Protein in ur body. Everybody is different so promote good habits and best thing u can do is learn about these things. Loads of folk have given good advice. There are loads of good influencers on social, Jeff Nippard has been mentioned who I found was excellent at explaining things. But bite thr bullet bad get a PT so u start ont he right foot. Ask all the questions u need. Actually if the OG wants to DM me I'll give u loads of good advice, tips and places to look for good info etc "

Cardio overall won’t help with a bulk, but I’d always recommend to do some sort of cardio even if it’s a giant set that gets the heart and lungs going or a few shuttle runs/sprints

Lanarkshire

I couldnt care any less about what folk say never mind posting a post that long talking utter nonsense about being able to walk up and down stairs and going to the toilet, if you want to recommend protein powder rather than have a healthy diet on you go by all means. No one said not to build up but hey no point in doing cardio pmsl

By *izzmasterzeroMan 10 weeks ago

Aberdeen

As you can already see there are some people saying one thing and others saying another, everyone thinks their way is the best and fitness is riddled with this, also what is apparently good one week is suddenly bad the next.

Best you can do is just do what you enjoy because if your dragging yourself up and forcing yourself to do something that you hate because you think thats what your "supposed" to do then you will eventually become miserable and just give up completely... so do things you find fun instead.

Universally it is agreed that some form of weights is one of the best things people can do for themselves so find somethings weight related that you enjoy. As for cardio, if you are already skinny then don't worry about it too much as weights is cardio enough for now, but when you do move onto cardio again do what you enjoy, don't just run because that's what your "supposed" to do, find something fun.

Same for food, don't jump in balls first counting every calorie eating nothing but chicken, rice and brocoli, again you will be miserable and more likely to give up completely, just make a conscious effort to make smarter choices... everyone knows processed is bad so try stick to fresh and homemade.

I do kettlebells as its both weights and cardio together and much more fun swinging those around than standing at a machine miserably counting reps, I also do strongman style sandbag as I get to humph what's like a human around in my shoulders.

Do what you will with this information

By *itty Jack SparrowMan 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Me with the toilet upstairs thinking Aw FS now I need to stay strong and fit

By *oxy RedWoman 10 weeks ago

Glasgow

Pin

Greenock

"I couldnt care any less about what folk say never mind posting a post that long talking utter nonsense about being able to walk up and down stairs and going to the toilet, if you want to recommend protein powder rather than have a healthy diet on you go by all means. No one said not to build up but hey no point in doing cardio pmsl"

U clearly don't have a clue what ur talking about then, and ur being very selective in reading (and undertsanding) what I said. At no point did I recommend Protein Powder over a healthy diet, in fact I did the exact opposite.

Airdrie

Folks thank you all for all the advice. Please no need to argue because am I looking for all the advice I can get. Thank you again people because I’ve went from knowing nothing to having plenty of information

» Add a new message to this topic