FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > re: the falklands

re: the falklands

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just heard on the news, the argentine president, wants the new pope, a fellow argentinian, to get involved in discussions on sovereignty over the falklands, personally she should keep her big mouth shut, and not involve the pope in an issue, that doesn't concern him, hes' more inclinded to look after the spiritual welfare of 200,000,000 catholics worldwide, than get involved in a political issue.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ikkiBWoman  over a year ago

Falkirk

Didn't they just vote and like 98% voted to stay uk or something like that

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Just heard on the news, the argentine president, wants the new pope, a fellow argentinian, to get involved in discussions on sovereignty over the falklands, personally she should keep her big mouth shut, and not involve the pope in an issue, that doesn't concern him, hes' more inclinded to look after the spiritual welfare of 200,000,000 catholics worldwide, than get involved in a political issue."

expected to hear that news on the same night the new pope was elected....she rants about the falklands, primarily I assume, to keep her popularity with her voting public....just a lot more hot air from the old windbag......she'll be wanting the Vatican to ban all UK shipping from it's waterways next....lol

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

the argentine president, would do better putting her energies, into getting the argentinian economy back on track, rather than flogging the dead horse of falkland island sovereignty, its british and will remain so, as long as the 99% of voters, who voted choose to remain british. Hands Off El Presidente!!!

The new pope said in 2007 ..that Argentine soldiers did country proud and spilled thier blood on Argentine soil in 1982. ..... the Only blood that was spilled on Argentinian soil was any that was coming from the wounds of the Argentine POW's when the arrived BACK in Argentina after being repatriated there .

The Falklands Never have been Argentine and NEVER will be !!!!!!......as for the new pope becoming involved ..... he best mind that the church is NOT a political organization.......

Falkland Islands .....FOREVER BRITISH !!

"The new pope said in 2007 ..that Argentine soldiers did country proud and spilled thier blood on Argentine soil in 1982. ..... the Only blood that was spilled on Argentinian soil was any that was coming from the wounds of the Argentine POW's when the arrived BACK in Argentina after being repatriated there .

The Falklands Never have been Argentine and NEVER will be !!!!!!......as for the new pope becoming involved ..... he best mind that the church is NOT a political organization.......

"

"The new pope said in 2007 ..that Argentine soldiers did country proud and spilled thier blood on Argentine soil in 1982. ..... the Only blood that was spilled on Argentinian soil was any that was coming from the wounds of the Argentine POW's when the arrived BACK in Argentina after being repatriated there .

"

The malvinas were argentinian before they were plunderd by the british,to say argentina has no claim to the malvinas is nonsense .

By *autious CoupleCouple  over a year ago

home

What makes any part of the world British ?

I will tell you

Its because the British plundered land and colonized them mostly by force.

As for the vote if you put enough of your own people in one place of course they will vote for you.

By *eenonfun2Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"

The malvinas were argentinian before they were plunderd by the british,to say argentina has no claim to the malvinas is nonsense ."

No they weren't, Argentina didn't come into being until 1861, the Falklands have been a British dependency since around 1690.

In 1776 the Spanish Crown established the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata, an umbrella of territories from which, with the Revolution of May 1810, began a process of gradual formation of several independent states, including one called the United Provinces of Río de la Plata. With the declaration of independence on July 9, 1816 and the military defeat of the Spanish Empire in 1824, a federal state was formed in 1853-1861, known today as the Republic of Argentina

By *hatmesexyWoman  over a year ago

Angus

By all accounts they met but it was strained and am sure he won't get in folded as think she is on a bit of a power trip Coz she president ATM pope won't b opening the dialogue with UK he's got way more to worry about.... I would think anyways lol

The Falklands were Argentinas before they were colanised by the British someone above me was saying the British plundered the island years ago well yes your probs right but correct me if I'm wrong in history it wasn't just Britain that plundered islands the Caribbean islands to name a few wer plundered as u put it by France ,Portugal ,Spain holland ,and yes Britain

If the Falklands have voted to stay British then tht should be an end of it

Keenonfun u been reading Wikipedia lol thought I was good at history

Glasgow

I did lol, also did 2 tours down there and its deffo a bit of little Britain.

the greedy eye of england is turning towards the sea

squatters of the world!

Let's put a few things straight here with regards to the Falklands, and before I go any further I have a right to comment as I have a residents status and still travel on a passport issued in Stanley.

1. Only falkland islanders born on the islands were allowed to vote so the the comment of put enough people in the right place is wrong

2. The islanders consider themselves to be British so they are British.

3. The oil, no one up until the early eighties was ever interested in the Falklands until the oil issue turned up, until then they went about their ways with no hassle. If a vote was put to the islander to make the oil disappear 98% would want it to because of the untold hassle it has caused

4. If the Argie scum want to come have another go, we come on you'll get your arses spanked even harder this time, 4 typhoons will take out the whole Argie military machine in one sortie.

I am not in the military and as I said have spent many years on the islands. They wish to remain British so that's it. End of xxxxxxxxxx chey

How naieve to say that The Catholic Church is not political. Get into the real world. Everything they do is political

By *autious CoupleCouple  over a year ago

home

"Let's put a few things straight here with regards to the Falklands, and before I go any further I have a right to comment as I have a residents status and still travel on a passport issued in Stanley.

1. Only falkland islanders born on the islands were allowed to vote so the the comment of put enough people in the right place is wrong

2. The islanders consider themselves to be British so they are British.

3. The oil, no one up until the early eighties was ever interested in the Falklands until the oil issue turned up, until then they went about their ways with no hassle. If a vote was put to the islander to make the oil disappear 98% would want it to because of the untold hassle it has caused

4. If the Argie scum want to come have another go, we come on you'll get your arses spanked even harder this time, 4 typhoons will take out the whole Argie military machine in one sortie.

I am not in the military and as I said have spent many years on the islands. They wish to remain British so that's it. End of xxxxxxxxxx chey "

Point one if it was colonised years ago by the British surley they put their prople there in the first place ....eg should only native americans vote in the USA ?

My point is that the locals got to vote not outsiders if you take your argument back far enough you could argue that the welsh want to invade the Falklands as many parts of Argentina were first populated by the welsh but I suppose you could say that about many countries in the world. My point is that in the here and now they are populated by people who want to remain British therefore British they stay

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

I'm just not quite sure why we keep looking at history and who did what to who and when

Surely we have to look forward to the future. We have to decide what's best for everyone. If the islanders have voted to stay a British colony - then that's it. Job done. Thankyou very much. We will stand shoulder to shoulder with you until you decide otherwise!

Oh hang on a second, would an independent Scotland stand shoulder to shoulder with them?

Lol keenonfun and well done to u

I have a nephew who's on his third tour of afganastan

Allow me as an ex Falkland Islands resident put a couple of Facts that reading the above posts have been twisted to suit the Argentine propaganda machine.

FACT 1 ...The Falkland islands where settled peacefully by British people a MINIMUM of 50 years before Argentina even existed as a country.

FACT 2 ... Argentina have been the aggressors on 2 occasions attempting to take the Islands by force each time to no avail.

FACT 3 .... Argentina as a country is made up of land taken by force ...firstly from the South American Indians ...then chunks of land taken from neighboring countries.

The reason i have chosen to state facts instead of getting involved in a debate as such, as i said earlier i once called the islands home ....and i have family buried in Stanley .

Glasgow

"Lol keenonfun and well done to u

I have a nephew who's on his third tour of afganastan "

Hope him and his mates get back the same way they went out there I've been out a few years now, so respect to the guys out there.

I think the general consensus is that the Falklands is British and will always be British and be defended under the British flag

By *icebloke..but filthyMan  over a year ago

london

Hmm. Does the Argentine President have an election coming up? Needs something to get the people on her side?

Worked for Maggie Thatcher...another politician who wouldn't have given a toss if the issue hadn't had something in it for her. Wise up people! It's not the history that matters, it's what the future holds that keeps these people going...

By *icebloke..but filthyMan  over a year ago

london

And after all, given that Maggie seriously considered the plans for a 'managed wthdrawal' from LIVERPOOL - yep, you read that right - that were in place to abandon the city, what makes you think that she really gave a toss about the Falklands other than to serve her own political needs? Newspapers at the time printed 'handy Falklands info sheets' so that people actually knew what we were 'defending'...

The Argie President is just doing the same political moves, but she's also trying to get God on her side!

"Lol keenonfun and well done to u

I have a nephew who's on his third tour of afganastan "

Mates son just got deployed on Thursday, I'd sign back up tomorrow if I could.

the falklands can stay part of england if they want , its their choice , but i bet if they find serious ammounts of oil off their shore they will be rather keen to brake free from england and go their own way , as every country should

Glasgow

"the falklands can stay part of england if they want , its their choice , but i bet if they find serious ammounts of oil off their shore they will be rather keen to brake free from england and go their own way , as every country should "

Their not 'part' of England, they are a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Probably the same as it says on your passport.

Well said keenonfun .. Was in 78 to 90 .. The FI will always remain British

hmmm always thought Britain was an island.

And the point is????

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"the falklands can stay part of england if they want , its their choice , but i bet if they find serious ammounts of oil off their shore they will be rather keen to brake free from england and go their own way , as every country should

Their not 'part' of England, they are a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Probably the same as it says on your passport. "

They're not part of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland either, they're a British Overseas Territory.

» Add a new message to this topic