FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Mechanics

Mechanics

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Serious question, looking for some auto electric advice, wondered if anyone might be able to help?x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

I'll give it a go...

Right, my window wipers weren't working very well and blew the fuse, I bought a new motor and changed it. Once changed the motor was working, I greased up all the mechanism etc and out it all back together,

Turned on the car and the motor was dead, no sound, no movement, the fuse however is still fine?? Could a brand new wiper motor fail straightaway? Am I missing something obvious?

It's a 2004 Astra btw

By *erverts R usCouple  over a year ago

Stirling

Try the relay

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Right, my window wipers weren't working very well and blew the fuse, I bought a new motor and changed it. Once changed the motor was working, I greased up all the mechanism etc and out it all back together,

Turned on the car and the motor was dead, no sound, no movement, the fuse however is still fine?? Could a brand new wiper motor fail straightaway? Am I missing something obvious?

It's a 2004 Astra btw "

possibly the regulator

By *exyasMan  over a year ago

glasgow

Try googling your problem if its a common fault itl appear on some owners club forums links worked for me hope that helps you ,

By *rTylerCouple  over a year ago

Angus

Try MIGweb as well

Dunfermline

"Right, my window wipers weren't working very well and blew the fuse, I bought a new motor and changed it. Once changed the motor was working, I greased up all the mechanism etc and out it all back together,

It's a 2004 Astra btw "

This is general as I am not too sure on 2004 Astras (I used to have an astra but that was in the stone age). Which type of Astra is it as 2004 is when the Mk 4/5 changeover happened?

Regardless of the types you basically should have a switch, a relay, a fuse and the motor.

More modern cars run just about everything through an engine management system and it get really tought then.

Double check the motor connector and the fuse. It could be something like a connector insert slipping out of place - check that the copper connections in the plastic are all there and aligned. Swap the fuse for another just in case. I have had a hairline crack in a fuse before and wasted most of a day before I went back and checked with a meter. Mostly fuses blow but sometimes they heat and crack - not common but worth checking. Best plan is the swap it with another fuse in the box of the s ame type and then test BOTH systems and confirm that the donor system works with noth fuses (or not)

Next find the wiper relay in the relay box and have someone switch wipers on and to intermittent or slow. Listen for a click in the relay box.

If there is no click then it could be the relay that has failed It could the the switch but that is unlikely. Usually it will be a burned out relay. If you have an identical realy in the box you could try to swap them and try again.

I can try to dig out an astra wiring diagram and see if I can find out more.

Thanks for all the help, it's a mark 4 Sri. I might sound really stupid but I don't know what a relay is. When I switch the wipers on I do hear a click as if the switch is working and the rear one works fine so I guess it's not the stalk. I will get another fuse to double check that but if it has blown the fuse that would indicate a further problem would it not?

"Serious question, looking for some auto electric advice, wondered if anyone might be able to help?x"
whats the q like

en

Did some googling, does seem to be a common issue but changing the motor seems to be the solution! Worked out that a relay is the switch, I'll maybe try that too!

Need to find a scrapyard I think as not cheap to renew all these parts!

Dunfermline

"Thanks for all the help, it's a mark 4 Sri. I might sound really stupid but I don't know what a relay is. When I switch the wipers on I do hear a click as if the switch is working and the rear one works fine so I guess it's not the stalk. I will get another fuse to double check that but if it has blown the fuse that would indicate a further problem would it not? "

A relay is basically a way to get a small current or voltage to safely switch a larger one.

freggsample - I have a remote control doohicky for switching off mains sockets. It runs of 5v but can switch mains voltages. Sometimes it is done for safety sometimes to save having big fat cables running all over the place.

When you power on a relay an electromagnet will pull some contacts closing the higher powered circuit. That is the click that you hear (assuming that it is not coming from the stalk) The relay click will come from the relay enclosure - consult your user manual for the location.

As for the fuse yes it would indicate an issue but this could have been with your original motor. I have lost where the fuse was changed.

Dunfermline

"Did some googling, does seem to be a common issue but changing the motor seems to be the solution! Worked out that a relay is the switch, I'll maybe try that too!

Need to find a scrapyard I think as not cheap to renew all these parts! "

If you go to the scrappy then remeber to pick up a bunch of fuses and relays just in case.

Thanks for that, the fuse had blown previous to me changing the motor, the wipers were going intermittently and stopping all over the place then the fuse blew. I deduced from that the motor was gubbed. Maybe need to go down the relay route.

Thanks for your help, know it's not the usual chat on this site!

You don't actually needed to change the motor when the wipers stop half way over the screen, just open up the motor and clean up the contacts on the park position.

» Add a new message to this topic