FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Its about bloody time...

Its about bloody time...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Felt compelled to start this topic after watching the BBC News @ 6pm. It makes my blood boil the fact that ANOTHER soldier has been killed in Afghanistan and yet its not the main headline anymore - are their lives so cheap ??? I, for one, think we should be out of Afghanistan - but whether or not you agree with the war surely we as a nation, should have the compassion and pride in our soldiers to make sure the loss of any soldier is the MAIN headline especially on our national broadcasting corporation..so if any serving personnel are reading this - do not think for one moment your sacrifices are not foremost in the mind of some and hopefully of many !!

Am away to send a rant to the BBC !

Roxy

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

totally agree with you roxie....was against the war from the start...but the troops out there and in other places around the world will always have my admiration and full support

I'm not going to enter into a debate about the rights and wrongs of war, but I will say this...if it was an insurgent,it would defo be the headline

its a damn disgrace!!!!!! there is never any mention either of the plane load of casualities brought home on a weekly basis, they are heros and get no recogniton of the fact.... our troops should be home x

war isnt good any where in the world it is a sin so many young men have lost there lives but they join the army as they believe in there cause of serving there queen and country they are heros

By *adcowWoman  over a year ago

kirkcaldy

Loss of life is always tragic and tho our brave troops know this is a high risk of their job it is still a tragedy for their families.

It is a job I know I could never do - my thoughts and heart felt sympathies go out to those who have loved ones out there or have lost someone.

xxxxx

Someone getting killed is tragic, i totally blame media and what they seem to think is priority,acts of war and terror/terrorism have just got more and more horrific and its now to the point we are served up more and more horrendous footage of all these things that we ourselves are in danger of becoming in a way, not as horrified as we ever were, 9/11 is a classic example, i can still recall seeing it and just being speachless and numb with the horror of it all, yet we get the horrendous detail of the passenger aircraft slamming into the towers every so often on tv and you simply say now, "ohh thats 9/11" when you see it.

Its an attitude, and its a media attitude, im just glad we as people still recognise still that someone being killed is terrible.

T xx

well said roxie im sure most of the UK agrees with you

I have a different view that I think the war over there is justified, however, I do agree that any time one of our soldiers is killed then it should be the lead item or one of the lead items on the main news programmes...show the boys and girls out there that we are still thinking of them.

Why is a footballers sex life or a polititian fidling 43p on their expenses more important that a soldier losing their life in an attempt to make the UK a safer place? Yup, was said up there ^^ the media, a soldier dying now doesnt sell papers... A premiership footballer farting or picking his nose etc does! What a sad world we live in

S.

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

What passes as news these days is mind boggling.

When I started work (a long time ago) I bought the daily record like most of the men and believe it or not it was ok as a newspaper then and along came the sun and news was second to everything else but the sun became popular though god knows why and other papers started to copy the same drivel which is the reason I no longer buy a paper now.

As has been said above Jordan flashing her nickers is front page news and you will read a little bit about this weeks casualties on a little column somewhere inside

I gave up on the great british press a long long time ago.

They broadcast and print what they're told to by HMG (spit) and whatever sells the most copies or gets the most viewers.

Oh, and you can't even boycott the bbc as you have to pay the license fee (forced subscription) whether you watch them or not.

It stinks!!!!!

By *eatherWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

i dont think the war in afghanistan is right get or boys out/Om a wee personel not my youngest grandson has chosen a his works placement a week at an army training camp hes 15.I think its up loch gilphead way.I juat pray and hope he doesnt decide to eventually join the army.Am i being very selfish and before any one says anything outroops are doing a wonderful job and im not taking anything away from them your views in this and if u think im being a selfish cow just say so

"Felt compelled to start this topic after watching the BBC News @ 6pm. It makes my blood boil the fact that ANOTHER soldier has been killed in Afghanistan and yet its not the main headline anymore - are their lives so cheap ??? I, for one, think we should be out of Afghanistan - but whether or not you agree with the war surely we as a nation, should have the compassion and pride in our soldiers to make sure the loss of any soldier is the MAIN headline especially on our national broadcasting corporation..so if any serving personnel are reading this - do not think for one moment your sacrifices are not foremost in the mind of some and hopefully of many !!

Am away to send a rant to the BBC !

Roxy"

Roxie you rightly complain that its not main headline anymore. When a serviceperson dies the MOD announce it. Within a day or two their name is released so the initial BBC web page is updated, when they are repatriated, a entire town turns out in mourning. Whatever its faults, the BBC does maintain a page of fatalities. Wounded servicemen are highlighted with both Selly Oak and Headley Court appearing on the telly. Dinger was interviewed the other morning on breakfast TV, he is lucky to be able to relate his recovery.

the nations attitude in general to the men and women in the nations armed forces was recently summed up for me when Abacus Insurance refused to payout the insurance total to Private Dave Tatlock who was the Manchester United fan that walked onto the Wembley pitch carrying the Trophy for the Carling Cup final between Man Utd and Aston Villa.

The brave guy was told he might never walk again after being hit by shrapnel in a friendly fire incident and worked his socks off, whilst keeping a positive attitude to his life to make sure he was able to once again walk. Thankfully they eventually did pay him, but after that they owe him so much more than a sum of money!

makes you sick the way this country is these days

I am due to join back up this year, and i am in no way serving for the country, i am simply serving for my children x

As somebody who served in Northern Ireland and the Gulf, I got used to the afct that nobody really knew what was going on. But, you have to realise that it's all politics. We're stil in a recession, got a massive national debt, business is down, unemployment is high. But Hey, let's concentrate on the positives. David Beckham graced the troop with his presence, and the world cup is about to start, and England might win again! Unless it's happening on our doorstep, like the London bombings, politicians and the Media don't care. After all Sex and the City 2 is premiering this week, and that must be important. Right?

"i dont think the war in afghanistan is right get or boys out/Om a wee personel not my youngest grandson has chosen a his works placement a week at an army training camp hes 15.I think its up loch gilphead way.I juat pray and hope he doesnt decide to eventually join the army.Am i being very selfish and before any one says anything outroops are doing a wonderful job and im not taking anything away from them your views in this and if u think im being a selfish cow just say so"

no _eather i dont , my son wanted to join the army and i made a deal after him leaving school , he had to get a job for a yr as i as a mother could not an would not sign his papers to let him go , as much as i think all our forces are brilliant an dont get the recongnision they deserve , he got a job an is now a partner in that business an is doing very well ,

Altho had he taken the army life i would have supported him all the way but only after he was old enuff to sign his own papers , so yes i was being selfish .i for one new i couldnt cope with losing my son an my other kids losing their brother to a war in my opinion is so very right but so very wrong ,

saying this tho , i support all our troops an have a lot of lads i keep in touch with in the forces , some who have come back an some of their families where they havent come bk .

on all my profiles i have my support to all troops serving even on fab i have one ,

but alas in newspapers an the news their lives now mean absolutley nothing to which i strongly disagree with. Every life is worth something spec to the family that looses them .

SO TO ALL OUR LADS AN LASSIES SERVING WELL DONE AN THANKYOU .TO THOSE THAT HAVENT COME BK . MY HEART FELT THANKS TO YOU AN YOUR FAMILIES FOR GIVING YOUR LIFE .

Sioux

By *igtechMan  over a year ago

Stonehaven

I m maybe different I agree with it I was there just after 9/11 we were looking for the beardy man did a few more visits I would go back tomorrow sod the big bucks as a diver salvage dude My wee bros out there with 40 me n my twin we served with 45 lost a lot o good mates but they knew the risks they knew what most o the casualtys are since the rags started using IEDS same as when a brummy gets caught out there goes wee holiday to GTMO hes a martyr to the cause the press support this why he turned his back on his own country Im speaking from experience we snatched 4 everyone a brit unbelievable GUYSN GIRL s well done on a bastard o a job if i was fit id be out there as still reservist

I, along with a lot of others, don't think the war is necessary and I think everyone who puts their life on the line for the good and protection of the greater population be they Navy, RAF, Marines, Police, Army or whoever, is a hero in my eyes.

To answer the original OP though...as cruel as it sounds, the world moves on from being interested. I understand that the people directly involved with any serviceman or woman killed will have their world ripped apart and anyone who is or has been involved with the services will feel their loss as well. The wider public though, however cruel and heartless this sounds, gets bored hearing about it. News, is just that, a snapshot of whats happening in the world at any given time and the TV channels are constantly under pressure to deliver what people want to hear and with absolutely no disrespect meant to any one of the armed services, the general public don't care about hearing about something that doesn't involve them directly. As well as that, if the story is broadcast within a short space of the incident, they aren't allowed to release the name/s of those involved so its just 'a soldier was killed today', when they eventually release the name and unit 2 or 3 days later, the wider public have moved on. Sad but a fact of life.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I do get the fact as Steve said, a footballer farting is more news worthy than the loss of a life. My point really is that IF the fact a member of our armed forces was killed and was headline news, perhaps it WOULD make us as the general public, be more aware of the fact that lives are being lost and perhaps we would petition our Government more often to get this sorted and get our men home. I don't want to enter into a debate about whether the war is justified I just think its the DUTY of our Government to sort it out!

As a Mother of an army loon and one who was medically discharged after iraq. I have to believe that the job they are doing is for the good of us all as that is how I cope. Both my sons from an early age wished to join the army the youngest joined at 16 and his older brother was 23 when he joined. Media coverage of our troops abroad has definately declined, but everytime I hear of another death my heart goes out to their family and I feel great relief ashamedly that I never got the knock on the door. Take care all you brave men and women you are constantly in my thoughts. And sincere condolences to the families of lost ones.

» Add a new message to this topic