FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > The Referendum Demographic

The Referendum Demographic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ifferentClass OP   Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes, some of us are sick of this chat, but this is fairly interesting -

Apart from the 18-24 age group which was (unexpectedly, according to pre referendum polls) slightly in favour of No 52% to 48%, EVERY age group up to the age of 55 was more in favour of Yes.

55-64 years old was 57% No and over 65 years old was 73% No.

What do we make of this? Critics have said it is always easier to influence the young while the older generation resist change. Others have said that much of that age group rely on the mainstream media which has been attacked for No bias, given that only one newspaper actively supported Independence.

Source is from Lord Ashcroft's Twitter.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes, some of us are sick of this chat, but this is fairly interesting -

Apart from the 18-24 age group which was (unexpectedly, according to pre referendum polls) slightly in favour of No 52% to 48%, EVERY age group up to the age of 55 was more in favour of Yes.

55-64 years old was 57% No and over 65 years old was 73% No.

What do we make of this? Critics have said it is always easier to influence the young while the older generation resist change. Others have said that much of that age group rely on the mainstream media which has been attacked for No bias, given that only one newspaper actively supported Independence.

Source is from Lord Ashcroft's Twitter."

does it state the source of these stats ?

By *nonandyMan  over a year ago

Near Glasgow

the elderly are worried about there pensions and health care and there was a lot of scaremongering about that the irony is that in an independent Scotland would probably be much more liberal and might have helped speed up the euthanasia argument and help stop a lot of people suffering in old age

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Ashcroft's own poll earlier Friday.

By *976scottMan  over a year ago

North Lanarkshire

"the elderly are worried about there pensions and health care and there was a lot of scaremongering about that the irony is that in an independent Scotland would probably be much more liberal and might have helped speed up the euthanasia argument and help stop a lot of people suffering in old age "

My god Andrew I'm glad I'm not your grandparents! Not everyone suffers in old age;)

Glasgow

Source is from Lord Ashcroft's Twitter.

does it state the source of these stats ?[

No idea - could be shite, could be true. Interesting if it is true, though

Glasgow

"the elderly are worried about there pensions and health care and there was a lot of scaremongering about that the irony is that in an independent Scotland would probably be much more liberal and might have helped speed up the euthanasia argument and help stop a lot of people suffering in old age "

Haha - Salmond's downfall was not pushing the euthanasia issue with the over 55s!

Glasgow

"Source is from Lord Ashcroft's Twitter.

No idea - could be shite, could be true. Interesting if it is true, though"

Ashcroft's own poll earlier Friday.

By *nonandyMan  over a year ago

Near Glasgow

"the elderly are worried about there pensions and health care and there was a lot of scaremongering about that the irony is that in an independent Scotland would probably be much more liberal and might have helped speed up the euthanasia argument and help stop a lot of people suffering in old age

My god Andrew I'm glad I'm not your grandparents! Not everyone suffers in old age;)"

am not suggesting kill every old person for gods sake I just have friends in healthcare that have said that to me

Remember the think before you bash the keys convo we had last Friday Andy?

By *owboy BebopMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

Just shows that it easier to scare pensioners to vote no !

Glasgow

"the elderly are worried about there pensions and health care and there was a lot of scaremongering about that the irony is that in an independent Scotland would probably be much more liberal and might have helped speed up the euthanasia argument and help stop a lot of people suffering in old age

Haha - Salmond's downfall was not pushing the euthanasia issue with the over 55s!"

I'm not unconvinced Salmond's refusal to support Margo MacDonald's assisted dying bill isn't the reason Sillars too his Day of Reckoning revenge.

Glasgow

Should be Sillars took his .....

"Source is from Lord Ashcroft's Twitter.

No idea - could be shite, could be true. Interesting if it is true, though"

ok, be back soon, just away to the kitchen to get myself a pinch of salt

Haha - Salmond's downfall was not pushing the euthanasia issue with the over 55s!

I'm not unconvinced Salmond's refusal to support Margo MacDonald's assisted dying bill isn't the reason Sillars too his Day of Reckoning revenge."

I wouldnt put it past him

By *eonardo Da VinciMan  over a year ago

manchester

The stats are wrong. The young and elderly combined would not have been enough on their own to win.. Once again this is yes campaigners spreading lies by spinning the data.

Stand humble and corrected. You lost by a big margin! Let the delusions pass...

Mmmmm. Smoked salmond for breakfast!

By *andemanMan  over a year ago

bedforshire

These stats. I saw something very similar in metro on Tuesday. It was an analysis of a poll of polls. Young people in that one were 57% no in the 16 to 17s. 18 to 24 were 50/50 and then it went sharply up for yes.

Older people often vote as a result of a view of the world based on their own sense of personal history.

As for euthanasia just you stay well away from my dad mate! Lol

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Why bother with demographics next time only 24 to 50 yr olds get the vote may win then .... its simple the majority said no its over

Have a wee think about this on demographics: Its impossible to tell an old persons cross on the ballot paper from a young persons cross.

By *MD47Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Have a wee think about this on demographics: Its impossible to tell an old persons cross on the ballot paper from a young persons cross.

"

I find myself agreeing with you (shock horror). I dont believe in the demographics at all. There is no real proof in them and they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I don't need you to agree or disagree with me, you believe what you did was right which means you probably are

By *w84TV/TS  over a year ago

NI

I'm such a geek for this kind of info.

Scotland is an ageing population so the weight of the 'senior' vote would always have been very significant. I think it's fair to say that many of those voters don't like or welcome change.

That may or may not be easy to overcome in 10 or 15 years time depending on how today's youth voters attitudes change in that time.

It would have been much more interesting if people had been legally required to vote. I think the results would have looked differently.

By *MD47Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I don't need you to agree or disagree with me, you believe what you did was right which means you probably are"

There is no need to be sarcastic with your reply. I voted No and stated a number of reasons. The main being the issue with the WhitePaper.

Even Mr Harvie of the Greens questioned the WhitePaper. To me this is where the SNP failed to win the debate.

If they could have put forward a better economical message and answered the questions then it would have been good.

Who said I was talking to you?

By *wiftieeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

" Even Mr Harvie of the Greens questioned the WhitePaper. To me this is where the SNP failed to win the debate.

If they could have put forward a better economical message and answered the questions then it would have been good."

I have to say that I'm not at all convinced by all this talk about the 3 leaders' promises of additional devolution etc swaying people. Imho, it was AS who lost his own cause, and I think he's right to stand down.

He totally failed to answer the important questions, seemed to think that people would accept his 'wing & a prayer' stuff. The figures being quoted here simply show older peoples' greater wisdom, they weren't prepared to have their lives disupted by cloud cuckoo stuff or to fuel AS's ego.

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

" Even Mr Harvie of the Greens questioned the WhitePaper. To me this is where the SNP failed to win the debate.

If they could have put forward a better economical message and answered the questions then it would have been good.

I have to say that I'm not at all convinced by all this talk about the 3 leaders' promises of additional devolution etc swaying people. Imho, it was AS who lost his own cause, and I think he's right to stand down.

He totally failed to answer the important questions, seemed to think that people would accept his 'wing & a prayer' stuff. The figures being quoted here simply show older peoples' greater wisdom, they weren't prepared to have their lives disupted by cloud cuckoo stuff or to fuel AS's ego."

Heard a discussion on the radio yesterday where it was said that Patrick Harvie disagreed with Salmond's control over the campaign. He felt that the yes campaign should've been based on 'facts' rather than 'aspirations'.

"Have a wee think about this on demographics: Its impossible to tell an old persons cross on the ballot paper from a young persons cross.

"

no its very easy, you just take the serial number on the ballot paper match it up with the counterfoil and the number written there corresponds with your number on the electoral roll. Hey presto !!

By *abled_raptureCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

If you look at the poll results, out of two thousand people they managed to get fourteen people in the 16-17 category and eighty-four in the 18-24 category, it's hardly numbers that conclusions can be drawn from.

no its very easy, you just take the serial number on the ballot paper match it up with the counterfoil and the number written there corresponds with your number on the electoral roll. Hey presto !!"

Those numbers do nothing to identify anything about the voter, they identify the legitimacy of the vote nothing else.

no its very easy, you just take the serial number on the ballot paper match it up with the counterfoil and the number written there corresponds with your number on the electoral roll. Hey presto !! Those numbers do nothing to identify anything about the voter, they identify the legitimacy of the vote nothing else."

dont be so nieve, think about the personal details which are recorded when you register to vote ( all for legitimate reasons) which provide the potential for anyone with access to the data (and a desire to do so) to compile precise data on the demographics of any ballot

» Add a new message to this topic