FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > are we becoming more savvy?

are we becoming more savvy?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Over the last couple of months in the press ive noticed the rise of articles regarding "budget" shops increasing their turnover, ie lidl,aldi, poundland ect,,are we as a nation eventually becoming more financially savvy and moving away from the "branded" products or is it born more of necessary.

It seems that in the more affluent places in the country, certain parts of london, home counties,ect ect that it is almost trendy to be seen to shop in these places and "grab a bargain"

Have we eventually lost the stigma of being seen in budget shops ?

I have to admit the articles have moved me to start looking in these shops and yes, i believe there are bargains to be had,,,,but....are items from these shops really a false economy ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

above by mike.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i love poundland lol

poundland can be full of bargians but loads of things in it are a rip off im a martins money tip saver this man saves me a fortune

By *adcowWoman  over a year ago

kirkcaldy

pound shops keep me going in batteries and lube lol

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

A documentary a cpl of months ago about poundshops and they do sell branded goods that are up to a quarter of the price of the more "upmarket shops" which goes to show how much profit some of these shops are making.

we shop at aldi now and again and there is little difference in most of there products.we bought a portable dvd layer for our son from there as well a few years ago now and it was around the 30 quid mark and picture quality is brill and still going strong. and they were selling pc's which were ment to be to a high spec,and at a fraction of the cost of the larger store's.

Mr Me

There was a study done during the height of the recession into these 'budget' shops and it showed the overall price of a sizable shop in these places was as expensive, if not more so than places like Asda. The big chains can buy branded products in outrageous quantites and so take advantage of economies of scale and despite their unimaginable profits, are actually doing ok by the customer as well.

We are talking about branded products though. The problem with places like Aldi is if you're not buying 'banded' food products, you're never sure just quite what you'll get. Some of their stuff is great and some if not so great so you takes your chance.

Some things in the cheaper shops work our more expensive over time, such as batteries that dont last very long unless you use them in wall clocks.

Other things like colouring pencils for kids are the same as any shop, well they are when you have a child who thinks throwing them on the floor in a strop is what pens and pencils are for

But like anywhere I buy cos I want not cos it is "bargain" no matter how good said bargain may seem.

Shona

x x x

Lets face it with Tescos able to furnish your house, Asda at the Fort and M+S at Braehead, you can buy the same products at silly prices.

Fresh vs Preserved is the choice when it comes to shopping for food.

Mike I bet you use to carry a yellow handbag, years ago.

?

oh, i wasnt talking about food, more like toiletries, cleaning stuff ect ect

By *implepleasure00Couple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Pound land and similar shops are great places for basic kinky toys:

Wooden spoons,

Washing mitts,

Sting removal clickers.

House hold candles

pegs

meter rulers,

Rope

And all sorts of things for sensation play...

there is a shop near us called 'homebargains' and it is really good - it sells branded goods at stupid prices. If you are near one (there is one in Bishopbriggs and one in Possilpark) go in and have a look.Energieser battery chargers and batteries in there for £6.99!

found lidl bathroom cleaner is 100% better than flash and third the price

» Add a new message to this topic