FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Call for lynx and wolves to be reintroduced to Scotland

Call for lynx and wolves to be reintroduced to Scotland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As the title says; this is news headlines today

I would love to see this happen and a return to nature but realistically it will never happen

A Scottish government spokeswoman said: "We intend to consider the issues carefully before coming to a decision However there are no plans to reintroduce at this moment.

As much as would back this, there are far too many farmers and others against this, perhaps some news programs are short of stories today

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

It's just a ploy to try to fence off yet more of Scotland and reserve it for those who think themselves worthy.

"It's just a ploy to try to fence off yet more of Scotland and reserve it for those who think themselves worthy."

It's no ploy as it will never happen, as much as I would like to see it.

but; with regards to your comment above and with regards to how much you despise the snp, what are your views on land ownership, as you will be aware so few, own so much of Scotland and snp intend to change this, opening up the country to the people of Scotland

just interested in your view due to your comment above

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Id love to see lots more than lynx and woves reintroduced,so many species that were native to scotland have dissapeared

By *ero666Man  over a year ago

fife

It would be great to see this happen,but there is probably no chance of it happening,just look at the birds of prey that are killed each year and there meant to be protected

The beaver was the first in what will hopefully be a very successful reintroduction programme this has been done in America and Europe with varying degrees of success

"The beaver was the first in what will hopefully be a very successful reintroduction programme this has been done in America and Europe with varying degrees of success"
thats good,i like beaver

Farmers are already complaining about sea eagles and beaver

Beaver flooding rivers which in turn flooding fields

Sea Eagles killing and eating small lambs

both above are fantastic to view

By *ero666Man  over a year ago

fife

Ain't sean much beaver,sea eagles are stunning birds

Glasgow

"It's just a ploy to try to fence off yet more of Scotland and reserve it for those who think themselves worthy.

It's no ploy as it will never happen, as much as I would like to see it.

but; with regards to your comment above and with regards to how much you despise the snp, what are your views on land ownership, as you will be aware so few, own so much of Scotland and snp intend to change this, opening up the country to the people of Scotland

just interested in your view due to your comment above "

WFT has my post to do with my views on the SNP?

As for land ownership generally - too much land is in too few hands, many are churches and public bodies and much of the land is deliberately kept away from the sale market or even just not made available for rent.

I'm in favour of community ownership but the communities need more support by way of expertise in finance, etc. Just having Lesley Riddoch as a figurehead isn't enough to ensure commercial success. We don't want more examples of people getting Eigg on their faeces

I am also in favour of community ownership and more opportunities to purchase land

also in favour of taxing sporting estates and land owners who evade tax by allowing deer stalking & gaming on land

Did Scotland really used to have these animals?

why does everyone hate wee foxes ? if your not shooting them or watching them be ripped apart by dogs its lets bring in wolves and linx the poor wee guys just want a chip or a wee snack out your bin that you where throwing away anyway and then their on their way no harm to no one and they dont even get a vote what next re introduce jack the ripper to cut down the prostitutes ?

Glasgow

They get the blame for attacking small dogs and cats in urban areas and we know how the great British public feel about cats n dogs. They take small birds and are thought to be s risk to babies.

In rural areas, lambs and small game birds are at risk.

I'm not sure what 'good' foxes do.

Glasgow

"Ain't sean much beaver,sea eagles are stunning birds"

Beaver mostly in mid- Argyll.

"Did Scotland really used to have these animals? "

Yes and bear.

"They get the blame for attacking small dogs and cats in urban areas and we know how the great British public feel about cats n dogs. They take small birds and are thought to be s risk to babies.

I'm not sure what 'good' foxes do."

am pretty sure a wolf would help its self to a couple of lambs now and then only not many people will want to argue with it and foxes do a lot they make mints and give the woman bingo

Did these animals die out naturally or were they hunted to extinction? When did they last exist naturally in the wild in Scotland?

I'm no ecologist (but I'll have a fuckin' good look! - thank you Chubby Brown!) but I would think that an environment adapts to the creatures living in it over time (and the ones not living in it as well) and so to reintroduce these species into an eco system that has learned to live without them might be problematic? Just a thought...

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Did these animals die out naturally or were they hunted to extinction? When did they last exist naturally in the wild in Scotland?

I'm no ecologist (but I'll have a fuckin' good look! - thank you Chubby Brown!) but I would think that an environment adapts to the creatures living in it over time (and the ones not living in it as well) and so to reintroduce these species into an eco system that has learned to live without them might be problematic? Just a thought... "

Yes they did exist in Scotland but back then it was a forested nation until the need for wood and charcoal for early industry deforested the country.

Reintroduction of wolves would require a lot more forest. I used to work in a nature reserve where sea eagles were reintroduced and there was talk of introducing wolves to the island back in the 80s but it was dismissed due to the lack of forest cover.

Last wolf I think was in the 1730s from what I've read and bear I belive was around the 1200s. Lynx not too sure on. A lot of big land owners kept cats for pets until it was made illegal and they let them go in the wild, which is why you still hear stories in the Highlands especially, about cats like Lynx and puma etc today.

am sure their was a wolf running about london in 1981 with an american accent

And a 'life preserve'

"They get the blame for attacking small dogs and cats in urban areas and we know how the great British public feel about cats n dogs. They take small birds and are thought to be s risk to babies.

I'm not sure what 'good' foxes do."

Foxes just take advantage of "opportunity" if easy access to a chicken coupe, they will enter and eat eggs, noubt wrong with that, but they do kill all chickens at same time, foxes raid bins because they have learned that humans waste so much food and a bin is easy pickings

The main problem in Scotland is not foxes or Badger, the problem is Deer, now over populated, killing off forestry and endangering many not only on country roads but specifically on the A9. Although there have been a few recent culls, there are not enough lawful licensed firearm holders willing to take part in the cull.

Glasgow

"............the problem is Deer, now over populated, killing off forestry and endangering many not only on country roads but specifically on the A9. Although there have been a few recent culls, there are not enough lawful licensed firearm holders willing to take part in the cull.

"

There was a suggestion a few years back that suitably qualified members of the Armed Forced be tasked with this.

"............the problem is Deer, now over populated, killing off forestry and endangering many not only on country roads but specifically on the A9. Although there have been a few recent culls, there are not enough lawful licensed firearm holders willing to take part in the cull.

There was a suggestion a few years back that suitably qualified members of the Armed Forced be tasked with this."

Trouble is, the majority of armed forces are very poor shots (believe it or not) and a humane cull requires a one shot kill

They get very little rifle training and every piece of ammunition is considered high cost, a good friend of mine was a range officer for these guys in training and you would be surprised how poor a shot many are, same goes for the police who practice at Rosyth.

Glasgow

I did say 'suitably qualified'.

True, appologies

» Add a new message to this topic