FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > The National Lottery

The National Lottery

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Against my finer judgements, I played the national lottery last night (the poor mans tax) and fool on me for doing so.

FACTS; (you may not want to read)

They have now raised the ticket cost by 100% from £1 per ticket up to £2 per ticket and lowered the main prize down to £2 million on a Wednesday and £4 million on a Saturday with odds of winning being 1 in 14 million

In October 2015 they plan to add a further 10 numbers to make it even harder to win the main prize; Lottery expert Professor Ian Walker said the odds of scooping the top prize will rocket from 1 in 13,983,816 to 1 in 45,057,474.

Camelot are banking on the average player not understanding the "almost impossibility" of the odds.

Total sales

Week ending

4th April 2015

£142.8m

11th April 2015

£132.4m

18th April 2015

£136.3m

25th April 2015

£142.8m

Today, critics expressed anger at the plan to boost the top management's pay after hiking the price of lottery tickets

A Camelot spokesman said the money was for 25 'key managers' and was 'not a payment but a provision' that would only be paid if challenging targets were met

There is a bonus scheme available to all staff in companies across the Group.

'Attracting and retaining the highest calibre of staff at all levels has been a key factor in Camelot's continuing success as one of the world’s leading lottery groups.'

Last year the company paid out £6.5m to bosses, including bonuses of £900,000. Camelot chief executive Dianne Thompson earns around £1million a year, not including her bonus

Fingers crossed: Bonuses for top staff including chief executive DianneThompson are dependent upon 'challenging targets' (and fleecing the public more)

TAX AVOIDENCE: DODGING UK TAX

Camelot, the company behind the National Lottery, has avoided millions of pounds in corporation tax by exploiting a legal loophole that HMRC failed to close.

The company saved an estimated £10m in tax in the last two years through interest on loans taken from its Canadian owner via the Channel Islands Stock Exchange. Its owner is one of Canada’s largest pension plans, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan board. The revelation comes as the National Lottery has doubled the price of its tickets to £2.

In the second part of a joint investigation by Corporate Watch and The Independent, it can also be revealed that HMRC considered closing the loophole that Camelot and others are using last year – but decided against it after lobbying from major accountancy and finance firms

Generaldixielee's tip of the day;

Don't get rich by playing the national lottery (you never will)

instead; Wait until October/November when sales will severely drop due to adding additional 10 numbers, = share price will drop, buy shares at this time

People forget and eventually start playing again as they are desperate for cash, = share price goes up, your dividends pay out, the company continues to dodge tax and make your savings increase

a lot to read but for your own good

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'll be stopping my ticket in a few weeks and shifting to the health lottery although that is probably as bad.

By *avingabreakMan  over a year ago

Near the Border

nice post.

"I'll be stopping my ticket in a few weeks and shifting to the health lottery although that is probably as bad."

They have better cuases, the Billionaire who runs it seems to have his head screwed on and doesn't treat the average joe public as a fool in the way Camelot does

good move

also remember premium bonds, give the government a loan of your cash

By *andom2chatMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy Far, Far Away & Spain

Great post Gen. I do have a direct debit on my Lottery & when I'm told it's a Rollover put on a lucky dip or another ticket by phone.

I wonder how many of the "good causes" truly benefit & how they're decided, what's the proportion of the ticket money, the running costs etc.

I wanted Richard Branson to get the Lottery to run as non profit making but sadly he lost out.

I'll still put a line on and i can dream of winning a huge prize, as they say youve got to be in it too win it lol.

Had a look and thought about putting it on tonight

£3,900,000 for a Saturday draw is bloody low, used to expect that prize figure on a Wednesday

out of principle I aint playing, good luck to those who do buy a £2 ticket.

By *lay_Mate_RequiredMan  over a year ago

eadt kilbride

And yet statistically single guys are more likely to win the lottery than get meet on here lol

By *ostEligibleBachelorMan  over a year ago

"And yet statistically single guys are more likely to win the lottery than get meet on here lol"

Lol

"And yet statistically single guys are more likely to win the lottery than get meet on here lol"

wonder who will win tonight, wont be me, as I don't buy a ticket anymore

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

We also get online by direct debit and had decided to stop in October when the game changes and having read this we are even more determined.

We got 4 numbers a while back and got £25 I thought at the time that was the lowest amount you could get for 4 nos until we got 3 nos last week and got £25 but on reading the payout it was only£21 for 4 nos? syrely if you got 4 nos then you must have got 3?

it was also only

£18000 and something for 5 and the bonus

£181 for 5

The two jackpot winners only got £444000 each.

Definitely the health lottery for us.

ive genuinely never put a Lottery Ticket on ..

» Add a new message to this topic