FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Forth Road Bridge

Forth Road Bridge

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ndykay OP   Man  over a year ago

Falkirk

The bridge is shut BOTH ways.

This is likely to be the case for most of the morning as it's an overturned lorry and they say they can't recover it until the wind dies down.

Drive carefully everyone please.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is it the guy who was transporting the wind turbines?

Be another fud ignoring the wind warnings

"Is it the guy who was transporting the wind turbines? "

Falkirk

"Be another fud ignoring the wind warnings"

As always

Falkirk

Just seen a pic on the BBC news app. Looks like he's been blown over from one side to the other

Yes he's an idiot but just hope he's walked away from it

By *yldstyleWoman  over a year ago

A world of my own

It's scary stuff. I'm glad I'm just in and around Edinburgh today.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

What happens to drivers who do this sort of thing? Does he get charged with dangerous driving?

Falkirk

"What happens to drivers who do this sort of thing? Does he get charged with dangerous driving? "

As the bridge was shut to high sided vehicles at the time yes he will be charged.

It's reported that they have already charged him and his firm will most likely get a hefty bill for recovery too

Edinburgh

"What happens to drivers who do this sort of thing? Does he get charged with dangerous driving?

As the bridge was shut to high sided vehicles at the time yes he will be charged.

It's reported that they have already charged him and his firm will most likely get a hefty bill for recovery too "

Good!! What a muppet.

[Removed by poster at 11/01/17 08:30:30]

And as he has damaged the bridge it will be closed for most of the day!

Freaking train is delayed! Struggled to get parked this morning, bloody dafty!

Still, glad the daffy is ok. Hope he wasn't checking fab whilst driving and missed the signs

By *ittle DancerWoman  over a year ago

Leslie, Glenrothes

I'm sure I live on the wrong side of that damn bridge! My plans today may be scuppered!

"I'm sure I live on the wrong side of that damn bridge! My plans today may be scuppered! "

Yup we defo do...pain in the erse!

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

"What happens to drivers who do this sort of thing? Does he get charged with dangerous driving?

It's reported that they have already charged him and his firm will most likely get a hefty bill for recovery too "

and for repairs to bridge ..what a complete muppet

It's reported that they have already charged him and his firm will most likely get a hefty bill for recovery too

Good!! What a muppet. "

thing is (and I have checked this with the bridge authorities in the past during dispute with a previous employer),they deem a high vehicle as anything with a load compartment higher than the maximum height of the cab,so if his load compartment is say 12'9" and his cab is 13',technically it isn't closed so high vehicle.

I find this astonishing,and also worrying that there seems to be a lack of clarity from the bridge authorities

Was about to say what are the legal requirements to qualify as a high sided vehicle

"Was about to say what are the legal requirements to qualify as a high sided vehicle "
that came from bridge authorities last year,however that may have changed since then

Edinburgh

Good!! What a muppet. thing is (and I have checked this with the bridge authorities in the past during dispute with a previous employer),they deem a high vehicle as anything with a load compartment higher than the maximum height of the cab,so if his load compartment is say 12'9" and his cab is 13',technically it isn't closed so high vehicle.

I find this astonishing,and also worrying that there seems to be a lack of clarity from the bridge authorities "

Yeah but come on... apply a little common sense and surely you can gauge if it's too windy? Surely there's got to be some savvy applied to the weight of his load (ooer) and whether he as a responsible driver thinks it's safe.

Good!! What a muppet. thing is (and I have checked this with the bridge authorities in the past during dispute with a previous employer),they deem a high vehicle as anything with a load compartment higher than the maximum height of the cab,so if his load compartment is say 12'9" and his cab is 13',technically it isn't closed so high vehicle.

I find this astonishing,and also worrying that there seems to be a lack of clarity from the bridge authorities

Yeah but come on... apply a little common sense and surely you can gauge if it's too windy? Surely there's got to be some savvy applied to the weight of his load (ooer) and whether he as a responsible driver thinks it's safe. "

oh I'm not arguing that common sense should have taken over,but some (not all),drivers are lacking in that department

Falkirk

There is another minor detail....it's not actually illegal to go across the bridge. However, the reason he's been done for dangerous driving is because he got blown over. IF he had made it without incident they can't do a whole lot about it.

But I know the police have been using the due care and attention laws as guys have driven PST the obvious signs.

I just don't think any load is worth the risk. A life is far more valuable.

"There is another minor detail....it's not actually illegal to go across the bridge. However, the reason he's been done for dangerous driving is because he got blown over. IF he had made it without incident they can't do a whole lot about it.

But I know the police have been using the due care and attention laws as guys have driven PST the obvious signs.

I just don't think any load is worth the risk. A life is far more valuable. "

ueah the obvious signs on the Kingsley in Dundee,Perth just before the friarton bridge and at Kinross and dunfermline

By *wiftieeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

The chaos caused by ONE man's selfishness is unreal. I hope he loses his job into the bargain!!

Anybody looking for an HGV driver's job in the Dumfries area??

"The chaos caused by ONE man's selfishness is unreal. I hope he loses his job into the bargain!!

Anybody looking for an HGV driver's job in the Dumfries area?? "

as far as I'm aware he has been charged,but makes you wonder who is gonna have to deliver with the recovery and damage costs?the company or the driver?

near Glasgow

"The chaos caused by ONE man's selfishness is unreal. I hope he loses his job into the bargain!!

Anybody looking for an HGV driver's job in the Dumfries area?? as far as I'm aware he has been charged,but makes you wonder who is gonna have to deliver with the recovery and damage costs?the company or the driver?"

Well it's probably the company, but depending on the insurance they have, it could be the company, literally.

He passed a "road closed to high-sided vehicles" sign, so the insurance company could walk away!!

near Glasgow

Courtesy of TNUK, a van driver who crossed the bridge in December 2013, against the signs, got 100 hours of community service + banned for a year!!

near Glasgow

LATEST: Lorry can't be recovered due to continual high winds, bridge to remain closed during evening rush hour.

near Glasgow

VERY LATEST: Bridge to remain closed overnight!!

Falkirk

He will lose his license and his livelihood. No company will ever employ him as a driver again.

Even if the insurance company pays up, there is no way he will get insurance on anything bigger than a car again AND even car insurance will be 10 times what he paid last year.

He deserves everything he gets I'm afraid. He's been very stupid and it was HIS decision. No one else's.

I'm sure they will get it recovered as soon as they get an hour of less wind but it's all the damage they have to repair in the bridge too

near Glasgow

"He will lose his license and his livelihood. No company will ever employ him as a driver again.

Even if the insurance company pays up, there is no way he will get insurance on anything bigger than a car again AND even car insurance will be 10 times what he paid last year.

He deserves everything he gets I'm afraid. He's been very stupid and it was HIS decision. No one else's.

I'm sure they will get it recovered as soon as they get an hour of less wind but it's all the damage they have to repair in the bridge too "

Now recovered, now the work to repair the bridge begins.

Falkirk

I'm hoping it's open for the morning

near Glasgow

It has re-opened!!

Truck driver shortage in this country of about 45.000 he will have a job no problem that's why they are so many foreign drivers here

near Glasgow

There's no shortage, it's all a myth.

However, there is a shortage of DECENT drivers!!!

"There's no shortage, it's all a myth.

However, there is a shortage of DECENT drivers!!! "

heck im a good driver, I can drive eating a bigmac in one hand, coffee in the other whilst steering with my knee

tried to explain that at an interview but they never gave me a job, they must have thought my charm would distract the lovely female office staff

[Removed by poster at 18/01/17 17:06:09]

Falkirk

However, there is a shortage of DECENT drivers!!! "

There IS a shortage of experienced British HGV drivers.

However, there is no shortage of inexperienced and idiotic drivers or Europeans to do the job either

near Glasgow

However, there is a shortage of DECENT drivers!!!

There IS a shortage of experienced British HGV drivers.

However, there is no shortage of inexperienced and idiotic drivers or Europeans to do the job either "

That was my point!

» Add a new message to this topic