FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Minimum pricing for alcohol

Minimum pricing for alcohol

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ighland gentleman OP   Man  over a year ago

Tain

Are we all doomed to sober meets from now on?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

bet u asda get a promo.out

better get beer in for xnas before we cant afford bozze once this comes in

By *rgoodnbadMan  over a year ago

greenock

Maybe if we weren't priced out of pubs/bars there would be less self medicating at home.

By *ornyfuckers66Couple  over a year ago

fife

Interest rates up inflation up taxes going up now the booze Feel like flying away ... that gets feckin taxed too

Doesn't bother me and even when I did drink it was never the cheapo brands that are having their prices increased

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I don't drink so don't care what they charge if everyone stops buying alcohol what will the government tax to get there money back

By *bi_scotlandTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

"bet u asda get a promo.out

better get beer in for xnas before we cant afford bozze once this comes in"

The SNP have already banned many drink promos so that won't be possible.

For a nation of 5 million that had a little over 1,400 deaths directly attributable to alcohol last year I say its a good thing. Scots in general drink 20% more (in terms of volume) and 20% more regularly per capita than anywhere else in the British Isles. If raising the price on these cheap super strength ciders, cheap rotgut whiskys and vodkas saves 10% of those 1400 its a control measure to be embraced.

Theres always homebrew

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

The 50p per unit isn’t a tax as such the retailers get the money . The duty goes to the government at the same rate as just now or increases to in the budget .

"The 50p per unit isn’t a tax as such the retailers get the money . The duty goes to the government at the same rate as just now or increases to in the budget . "

It would be nice to think that any additional revenue raised via increased duty could be spent on alcohol treatment services and the NHS. More chance of Robert Mugabe winning humanitarian of the year unfortunately

"For a nation of 5 million that had a little over 1,400 deaths directly attributable to alcohol last year I say its a good thing. Scots in general drink 20% more (in terms of volume) and 20% more regularly per capita than anywhere else in the British Isles. If raising the price on these cheap super strength ciders, cheap rotgut whiskys and vodkas saves 10% of those 1400 its a control measure to be embraced. "

The highest rise in drink related death and illness has been among middle class and professionals though, so not really the ones drinking the cheap cider and rotgut. I can't see a minimum procing policy making much impact there

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

For the majority of us it will make no difference as this is as most branded alcohol is already above this minimum.

This will affect the 20p tins of super lagers and £8 bottles of unbranded vodka. Not a bad thing.

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 16/11/17 19:38:04]

Glasgow

"For a nation of 5 million that had a little over 1,400 deaths directly attributable to alcohol last year I say its a good thing. Scots in general drink 20% more (in terms of volume) and 20% more regularly per capita than anywhere else in the British Isles. If raising the price on these cheap super strength ciders, cheap rotgut whiskys and vodkas saves 10% of those 1400 its a control measure to be embraced.

The highest rise in drink related death and illness has been among middle class and professionals though, so not really the ones drinking the cheap cider and rotgut. I can't see a minimum procing policy making much impact there"

Just seen some figures earlier that confirm that. Also it's hard to take a policy seriously that will see a case of tennents lager go up a fair bit in price but Buckie is still the same.

By *illnatMan  over a year ago

wherever i need to be

"For a nation of 5 million that had a little over 1,400 deaths directly attributable to alcohol last year I say its a good thing. Scots in general drink 20% more (in terms of volume) and 20% more regularly per capita than anywhere else in the British Isles. If raising the price on these cheap super strength ciders, cheap rotgut whiskys and vodkas saves 10% of those 1400 its a control measure to be embraced.

The highest rise in drink related death and illness has been among middle class and professionals though, so not really the ones drinking the cheap cider and rotgut. I can't see a minimum procing policy making much impact there

Just seen some figures earlier that confirm that. Also it's hard to take a policy seriously that will see a case of tennents lager go up a fair bit in price but Buckie is still the same."

Not the figures I’ve seen to be honest. Buckie goes up big time by about 300% so does stuff like white lightning. No longer can you get 2l of cider for £2.

For most drinks it’ll be a few pence here and there. Say a standard bottle of vino at £6 might be £6.50

Ok I don’t have the figures to hand but it’s the super cheap stuff that will suffer big time.

if the price per unit is for a health reason,and to lessen the strain on the NHS then lets price Mcdonalds,Burger kings,and KFC right out the park,I'm sure that would take a bit of the strain off the NHS

Typical SNP

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

Just seen some figures earlier that confirm that. Also it's hard to take a policy seriously that will see a case of tennents lager go up a fair bit in price but Buckie is still the same.

Not the figures I’ve seen to be honest. Buckie goes up big time by about 300% so does stuff like white lightning. No longer can you get 2l of cider for £2.

For most drinks it’ll be a few pence here and there. Say a standard bottle of vino at £6 might be £6.50

Ok I don’t have the figures to hand but it’s the super cheap stuff that will suffer big time. "

Actually according to figures Buckie will not go up at all as it's already nearly £8 a bottle

By *ob nice but domMan  over a year ago

PAISLEY

How will they control online shopping for booze ?

By *ainbowBrite57Woman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"if the price per unit is for a health reason,and to lessen the strain on the NHS then lets price Mcdonalds,Burger kings,and KFC right out the park,I'm sure that would take a bit of the strain off the NHS"

Yep....

By *litter and GrumpCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

"if the price per unit is for a health reason,and to lessen the strain on the NHS then lets price Mcdonalds,Burger kings,and KFC right out the park,I'm sure that would take a bit of the strain off the NHS

Yep...."

Nah if we stopped buying junk food and alcohol the tax revenue would plummet. Really if the government was so commited to our health rather than taxing the shit out of us why do they still allow cigarettes albeit heavily taxed? If they are genuinely doing things for health reasons straight out ban their sale rather than increase revenue raising taxation. that i could understand but to say raising taxes is for our benefit that I find hard to swallow

Grump

I'm assuming when you say the Government your meaning her and her cronies,ffs they are only playing at running the country,the real people will take over soon

By *argaidMan  over a year ago

glasgow

"Typical SNP"

Aye, how dare the evil swine try to do something about a widely acknowledged social problem?

By *oanne_MacTV/TS  over a year ago

Cunty Durham

another stealth tax on the working classes....

glasgow

[Removed by poster at 17/11/17 00:39:48]

glasgow

By the real people do you mean Labour who took us into an illegal war for their leader's vanity and saddled us with PPI debts for buildings they fiddled the supervision regulations on leading to crumbling buildings that killed a child? Or the Tories who are responsible for austerity, spiralling poverty, paedophile coverups and the farce of brexit?

Aye, the 'real'people right enough.

By *unlovingx2Couple  over a year ago

Aberdeen

SNP are not Scottish patriots they area hard left, pro mass immigration loving, anti real Scots, pro Islamic, traitors happy to live under the EU and Germany's jackpot.

[Removed by poster at 17/11/17 07:20:40]

[Removed by poster at 17/11/17 07:21:17]

"By the real people do you mean Labour who took us into an illegal war for their leader's vanity and saddled us with PPI debts for buildings they fiddled the supervision regulations on leading to crumbling buildings that killed a child? Or the Tories who are responsible for austerity, spiralling poverty, paedophile coverups and the farce of brexit?

Aye, the 'real'people right enough."

Yawn

"SNP are not Scottish patriots they area hard left, pro mass immigration loving, anti real Scots, pro Islamic, traitors happy to live under the EU and Germany's jackpot. "

you forgot racists,who just abhor everything English

[Removed by poster at 17/11/17 10:38:25]

"SNP are not Scottish patriots they area hard left, pro mass immigration loving, anti real Scots, pro Islamic, traitors happy to live under the EU and Germany's jackpot. "

Wise words.

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

Will there be alcohol police on the border to stop all the cheap booze being imported from England?

Someone said they wanted Scottish independence????

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

Yet more state control from the Scottish govt. Food will be the next thing from them.

"Theres always homebrew"
that was my instant thought upon hearing the scenario over the radio.

It will be lights out at 11 o'clock and bed next!!!!

So glad I don't drink

ffs they will prob end up charing a fortune for water in the pubs n bars next

By *ightimefun2Couple  over a year ago

stirling

Cant believe folk haven't sussed this out yet. Minimum price anywhere will be able to sell a bottle of spirits such as vodka rum whisky will be 14 quid 28units of alcohol x50p. So cheap supermarket vodka will be 14 quid. Do you think proper brands which currently sell at less than that will sell at the same price? No chance. So to the ordinary drinkers , expect to pay 18 to 20 quid for your bottle. So naive to think it only affects cheap booze

By *ikinkfunCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Cant believe folk haven't sussed this out yet. Minimum price anywhere will be able to sell a bottle of spirits such as vodka rum whisky will be 14 quid 28units of alcohol x50p. So cheap supermarket vodka will be 14 quid. Do you think proper brands which currently sell at less than that will sell at the same price? No chance. So to the ordinary drinkers , expect to pay 18 to 20 quid for your bottle. So naive to think it only affects cheap booze"

Good point - first time I have heard that

MUP still a good thing though imho

[Removed by poster at 17/11/17 22:22:19]

its ok for the mp's and lords etc in westminster... the public foot there alcohol bill and food bill!

so we are paying for them to get d*unk.. wankers the lot of them -) hit the public in the pocket

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

Minimum price might also be higher than 50p as they can raise it before introduction .

Selfish bastards the lot of you. The UK has one of the highest level of teenage alcoholism and binge drinking in Europe with Scotland leading the way. The "cheap as soft drink" alcohol makes this possible along with the d*unken parent's total lack of interest in their future health. Pricing it out of reach and breaking the culture will save your kids, grand kids, and great grand kids lives and headaches. If you can't have a good time without getting shitfaced you're a boring excuse for a human.

By *ikinkfunCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Selfish bastards the lot of you. The UK has one of the highest level of teenage alcoholism and binge drinking in Europe with Scotland leading the way. The "cheap as soft drink" alcohol makes this possible along with the d*unken parent's total lack of interest in their future health. Pricing it out of reach and breaking the culture will save your kids, grand kids, and great grand kids lives and headaches. If you can't have a good time without getting shitfaced you're a boring excuse for a human."

Well said

By *rsFine-MrBallsCouple  over a year ago

markinch

"if the price per unit is for a health reason,and to lessen the strain on the NHS then lets price Mcdonalds,Burger kings,and KFC right out the park,I'm sure that would take a bit of the strain off the NHS"

Never heard of anyone being hospitalised for burger binging

stirling

What about a munchy box tax? On one hand would help obesity problem for NHS but ski pant sale would plummet!

Tain

Currently you can buy a 3 litre bottle of cheap cider called frosty Jack for as little as £2.99. It contains 22.5 units of alcohol. That is 13p a unit.

To me that is ridiculously cheap.

I have no problem with the proposal at all. It won't affect the price of drinks in pubs and restaurants,they are already way over the minimum unit price.

It will only affect the cheapest of drinks.

We've done away with the buy one get one free type offers, we've stopped the stacking of drinks by the front doors of the supermarkets. Both of which have had an effect.

The lowering of blood alcohol and driving has had an effect on drink driving rates.

We are gradually improving, this is just another measure.

stirling

See our previous post. It will affect every category of drinks. Sturgeon should be tackling the reasons why people spend their life on cheap cider because her and her cronies are completely out of touch with reality. People who drink that cheap stuff will either not eat properly to pay for this or will fund the cost by illegal means.

"See our previous post. It will affect every category of drinks. Sturgeon should be tackling the reasons why people spend their life on cheap cider because her and her cronies are completely out of touch with reality. People who drink that cheap stuff will either not eat properly to pay for this or will fund the cost by illegal means."
exactly

Tain

"See our previous post. It will affect every category of drinks. Sturgeon should be tackling the reasons why people spend their life on cheap cider because her and her cronies are completely out of touch with reality. People who drink that cheap stuff will either not eat properly to pay for this or will fund the cost by illegal means."

The ones drinking round here are the teens.

They eat at home. Not really sure what illegal means are available to them up here to fund what would be a very expensive bottle of cider.

Don't get me wrong, I know that youngsters drink, I did. But proportionally when I was younger it was far more expensive. What prevented us drinking then was the price.

Over the last few decades, alcohol has gotten relatively cheaper and cheaper.

stirling

Good points. Post credit crunch everyone is working harder to get by. Drinking is a relief /escape for the working class. How many times do you see facebook posts saying 'wee cheeky drinks..' Etc if wages kept pace with inflation and people had more time with family then drinking wouldn't be so much of an outlet. Wages and rip off Scotland are more to blame but sturgeon cites the swing park cider drinkers as justification for this rather looking at the reasons why people spend their day drinking in parks!

glasgow

"if the price per unit is for a health reason,and to lessen the strain on the NHS then lets price Mcdonalds,Burger kings,and KFC right out the park,I'm sure that would take a bit of the strain off the NHS

Never heard of anyone being hospitalised for burger binging "

I guess you never watched 'Supersize Me' then?

glasgow

".

you forgot racists,who just abhor everything English"

Aye, that'll be why they ve so many English members, right enough.

glasgow

"By the real people do you mean Labour who took us into an illegal war for their leader's vanity and saddled us with PPI debts for buildings they fiddled the supervision regulations on leading to crumbling buildings that killed a child? Or the Tories who are responsible for austerity, spiralling poverty, paedophile coverups and the farce of brexit?

Aye, the 'real'people right enough.

Yawn"

What a devastating comeback. Wit, facts, effective rebuttals. Oh, wait you have none of those. Just a closed minded bigot, then.

"I'm assuming when you say the Government your meaning her and her cronies,ffs they are only playing at running the country,the real people will take over soon"

Who are the real ppl ?

Surely we should all get behind something that will keep younger ppl drinking the cheapest and mostly high alcohol vol yes we might have to pay a little bit more for our drinks but its surely worthwhile if it saves even 1 life ,for some it really doesnt matter what snp are doing for the good they will never be happy ,it was the same with the smoking ban and thats been a major success

By *eADevilCouple  over a year ago

Blantyre

"Are we all doomed to sober meets from now on? "

Not all meets have to include alcohol. Lots of us drive to a meet, so the cost of alcohol is irrelevant.

Aberdeen

"Selfish bastards the lot of you. The UK has one of the highest level of teenage alcoholism and binge drinking in Europe with Scotland leading the way. The "cheap as soft drink" alcohol makes this possible along with the d*unken parent's total lack of interest in their future health. Pricing it out of reach and

breaking the culture will save your kids, grand kids, and great grand kids lives and headaches. If you can't have a good time without getting shitfaced you're a boring excuse for a human."

It's not cheap anything that's the problem it's a leftwing society tgats warped all normality. Moral guidelines, and above all responsibility for ones own actions. We live in a society that's gone from (oh what will neighbours, family think) to one that's basically (fool neighbours and society and to hell what others think).......most people have a drink. It makes them more friendly and helps them enjoy themselves more. Yes some get violent, but i suggest many of them would be violent without a drink. Why not the same attack on fast food for example (kebab shops the unhealthiest) that does far more damage to people. Soon we will mimic certain countries that seem to have a influence on SNP policy through Glasgow and Edinburgh central mosques and a few high flying members. Those in power want us kicking the bucket early anyway, to reduce our pension burden and make space for SNP new Scots, newly arrived on these shores. This has nothingbto do with health its just a massuve tax grab. A massive reduction on our freedoms and choices, and a massive kick in the teeth for those who like the Italians French Germans enjoy a social drink, and the friendly outgoing atmosphere it creates. As I said like the Greens Liberals Labour.over half the Conservatives the SNP are a indictment of years of cultural Marxism brainwashing...thats turning us into tax paying serfs with little freedom if choice. Burgers and Sunday roast next because of cow fart tax......what Scotland and Britain needs is patriotic parties that protect our Scottishness and our Britishness. Run by normal sane down to earth people that have a vested interest in keeping this country safe...for future generations....Sturgeon no kids Harvie no kids. Labour and Conservative leader in Scotland no kids....does it matter when that natural urge to protect our future is simply not needed, I will .let you decide.....but as I said no leftwing no right-wing just a patriotic common sense party is whats needed.

Aberdeen

"I'm assuming when you say the Government your meaning her and her cronies,ffs they are only playing at running the country,the real people will take over soon

Who are the real ppl ?"

People who have worked. Not the university political degree, debating group fools who go straight from university to council to Msp, without ever dangling a toe in the real world. All brainwashed at university where only Marxism is promoted. To pick a political party. That's why there is zero difference between them. They bang on with buzz words like inclusion, social justice and above all progressive, when all around us Joe Blogs can see our neighbourhoods, cities getting worse. And the moral fibre of society degenerating lower and lower. Progressive they say, has our life's and society really got better morally over the last 40 years. Criminals have more rights than normal citizens. Immigration has forced up house prices beyond normal wage packets. Our Nhs police fire service etc etc us getting worse, the help our disabled need is getting reduced But we can still send Billions to mad mullah countries and the EU.

"It will be lights out at 11 o'clock and bed next!!!!"

Hopefully the nanny state insists every bed is full!!

"Selfish bastards the lot of you. The UK has one of the highest level of teenage alcoholism and binge drinking in Europe with Scotland leading the way. The "cheap as soft drink" alcohol makes this possible along with the d*unken parent's total lack of interest in their future health. Pricing it out of reach and breaking the culture will save your kids, grand kids, and great grand kids lives and headaches. If you can't have a good time without getting shitfaced you're a boring excuse for a human."

By *ob nice but domMan  over a year ago

PAISLEY

Doubt it. These folk will find money for booze somehow. So expect a rise in crime and kids who don’t get fed!

It’s only going to be priced out of reach from the shops, super markets but there are other ways to buy it which is only going to be more popular which is far more dangerous for everyone’s health so this is a waste of time and is only going to hurt the alcohol industry and shop owners etc there is always face- book dialabooze that teens already buy from or fake booze on the street so I’m concerned this is going to increase a shift in were you buy it rather than tackle health issues it’s going to increase health issues

"Doubt it. These folk will find money for booze somehow. So expect a rise in crime and kids who don’t get fed! "

Absolutely amazed at how the introduction of a minumum price per unit can turn into a tirade against socialism and Islam

"I'm assuming when you say the Government your meaning her and her cronies,ffs they are only playing at running the country,the real people will take over soon

Who are the real ppl ?"

I'm not sure who they are,but those who have the country and its people at the top of their list,and not running it into the ground,and making us a laughing stock

glasgow

"its ok for the mp's and lords etc in westminster... the public foot there alcohol bill and food bill!

so we are paying for them to get d*unk.. wankers the lot of them -) hit the public in the pocket"

It's not Westminster who've brought this in it's the Scottish Govt. Funnily enough they have a subsidised bar in the Scottish parliament. Wonder how many other places of employment have a bar in them, nevermind a subsidised one.

"its ok for the mp's and lords etc in westminster... the public foot there alcohol bill and food bill!

so we are paying for them to get d*unk.. wankers the lot of them -) hit the public in the pocket

It's not Westminster who've brought this in it's the Scottish Govt. Funnily enough they have a subsidised bar in the Scottish parliament. Wonder how many other places of employment have a bar in them, nevermind a subsidised one."

Yes and the Scottish Govt have brought it in because Scotland has a proven (empirical evidence) issue with alcohol abuse and the flow on health and societal impacts far greater than anywhere else in the UK.

glasgow

Wow! One of the most bigoted, narrowgminded and ill-informed rants I've seen on here. That's saying something! Left-wing society? In what science fiction alternative universe are you resident? This country has been Tory run for the vast majority of its history, including under New (we're not socialists any more) Labour. The move from worrying about the neighbours to shafting the neighbours - and not in the Fab sense - was Thatcherite policy.

True, other countries in Europe don't have the problems we have, but a great many of them charge far more for alcohol than we do. Maybe these places just have a healthier attitude to alcohol than we do. They see alcohol as an adjunct to a night out, not the objective. There is no tax take on this. It is not a tax regardless of what your preferred unionist media outlet's snp baad propagandists are telling you. It's not a "kick in the teeth" for anyone but those who want to drink the cheapest, strongest electric soup they can get because they haven't had a good night if they can remember it.

As for that utter racist drivel about new scots, I'm disgusted that anyone on here can spout that nonsense. Truly shameful.

glasgow

"Yes and the Scottish Govt have brought it in because Scotland has a proven (empirical evidence) issue with alcohol abuse and the flow on health and societal impacts far greater than anywhere else in the UK. "

Hear, hear!

glasgow

"bet u asda get a promo.out

better get beer in for xnas before we cant afford bozze once this comes in

The SNP have already banned many drink promos so that won't be possible."

The effect of that ban? Being able to buy alcohol at exactly the same price as you can in English supermarkets but without having to buy in bulk to get it. Eg, the £9.99 for 3 bottles of wine in Asda became £3.33 for one bottle.

Imagine whats will happen when the start to tax the hell outta Vapes. seem's like they are everywhere now.

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

[Removed by poster at 20/11/17 05:49:31]

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

"Imagine whats will happen when the start to tax the hell outta Vapes. seem's like they are everywhere now."
don’t say that, I have a vape shop. I’ve never made so much money since I started bottling my own piss.

glasgow

It's not Westminster who've brought this in it's the Scottish Govt. Funnily enough they have a subsidised bar in the Scottish parliament. Wonder how many other places of employment have a bar in them, nevermind a subsidised one.

Yes and the Scottish Govt have brought it in because Scotland has a proven (empirical evidence) issue with alcohol abuse and the flow on health and societal impacts far greater than anywhere else in the UK. "

People who are heavy drinkers will continue to drink, they will just cut down on other things instead or switch to other drinks (Buckie will remain the same price). As I say, it's hypocritical of them to take this step when they have a subsidised bar in their place of employment.

Some stats

Alcohol consumption per adult has been dropping.

Alcohol related deaths have reduced by 33% since 2003

The rate of alcohold related hospital stays have reduced by 20% since 2007.

The state can't legislate away every social problem and by attempting to it is using a very blunt instrument that ends up affecting everyone, a bit like the Named Persons plan. As I said earlier, food will be the next target.

Mumm is £22 in asda just now

By *lasgowman101Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Another brainwave from the Scottish government, punish everyone who likes to drink in moderation, to deal with a minority of folk who go OTT or have a taste for Bucky,cheap cider etc. And no mention of the exact uses for the extra money generated. Another independance campaign perhaps?

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Stealth tax dressed up as caring policy

Hire a Van, head down to England, stock up and drive home, lol

By *heesyheadbandMan  over a year ago

Glenrothes

[Removed by poster at 22/11/17 17:18:33]

By *heesyheadbandMan  over a year ago

Glenrothes

i'm not a drinker or a smoker but think it should all be removed off the shelves until marijuana is made legal.

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow.

Only the added vat will go to the Government.

The remaining pennies will go to the manufacturer/retailer as far as I am aware.

Next step... your local refuse collector counting the empties in your recycling box.

To help the hidden alcoholics out there.

» Add a new message to this topic