FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Adult dyslexia

Adult dyslexia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

For many years I have hidden my learning difficulties and have had perfect jobs to hide those issues. The first sign off promotion and I quit the job. So far I quit the armed forces and the fire brigade. I have a perfect job driving for a living and there is no sign of promotion.

Recently I started to post in the Scotland forums. I then noticed what seems perfect grammar to me was my usual pile of shite.

If anyone fancies a chat about dyslexia. Message me.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Im confused both the jobs you listed are dyslexic friendly. In the main they care not if you can spell its more about putting out fires or holding a defensive position

By *hav02Man  over a year ago

Glasgow/London

I've come across quite a few dyslexic people, and they've not given up their ambition in careers because of their "disability". Sure, it can be a little comical with their poor grammar, but they are judged on their professional merits.

I think your scapegoat is dyslexia, but you probably have other issues hindering your personal success... Self confidence???

"Im confused both the jobs you listed are dyslexic friendly. In the main they care not if you can spell its more about putting out fires or holding a defensive position"

They might been dyslexia friendly now but when I was in army in the late 80s. They weren’t and the same goes for the fire services.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Im confused both the jobs you listed are dyslexic friendly. In the main they care not if you can spell its more about putting out fires or holding a defensive position

They might been dyslexia friendly now but when I was in army in the late 80s. They weren’t and the same goes for the fire services. "

Were you not still at school in the late 80's?

By *awty MaxWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"For many years I have hidden my learning difficulties and have had perfect jobs to hide those issues. The first sign off promotion and I quit the job. So far I quit the armed forces and the fire brigade. I have a perfect job driving for a living and there is no sign of promotion.

Recently I started to post in the Scotland forums. I then noticed what seems perfect grammar to me was my usual pile of shite.

If anyone fancies a chat about dyslexia. Message me.

"

Am sure many would welcome a forum chat on dyslexia!

I think it would be better than a private chat.

If you have issues on here, instead of putting a rude status up, why not nicely put your point across on the forum and bring awareness.

And maybe get support from others in the same boat.

To be honest dyslexia or not your status doesn't make me want to message you.

So chill OP.

My English is not perfect, do I care? Nope. Some can cringe at it if they want

Tis the season to be jolly OP focus on people that suit you

"Im confused both the jobs you listed are dyslexic friendly. In the main they care not if you can spell its more about putting out fires or holding a defensive position

They might been dyslexia friendly now but when I was in army in the late 80s. They weren’t and the same goes for the fire services.

Were you not still at school in the late 80's?

"

I joined when I was 16. Hated school

Adult daily sex??

[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 10:21:28]

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

[Removed by poster at 13/12/17 11:00:14]

A girl I went to primary school with has dyslexia and she was so down about it, everyone picked on her even into her teenage years. She wanted to be a nurse but when it came to doing the exams it was impossible for her. She ended up working in a shoe shop and couldn't be happier. Find something at what you are good at and stick with it OP. There is something out there for you x

By *e gentle 100Woman  over a year ago

Bathgate

There are many different types of dyslexia, my stepson suffers from writing and spelling and was always embarrassed and felt stupid, I told him he wasn't stupid and if he needed help with reading, writing or with anything else to ask, he was born 12wks early and that was the cause of the dyslexia and short term memory loss, I would write the words for him that he was stuck on and he would then copy them in his own hand writing and he still finds it difficult to ask for help, the doctor explained it as a filing cabinet with some files in the wrong place, my 18 yr old niece has a different type of dyslexia as her mum thought she was being lazy with school work etc, don't be ashamed of being dyslexic as all u can do is Ur best in life as we all learn to cope with things in our own way and if someone told me they needed help because of a disability of any kind I would help them as best I could and I certainly wouldn't call them stupid xx

By *adcowWoman  over a year ago

kirkcaldy

"A girl I went to primary school with has dyslexia and she was so down about it, everyone picked on her even into her teenage years. She wanted to be a nurse but when it came to doing the exams it was impossible for her. She ended up working in a shoe shop and couldn't be happier. Find something at what you are good at and stick with it OP. There is something out there for you x"

Even the lowly NHS has some provisions in place to help those with dyslexia to pass their nursing exams. There were a few I trained with are still practicing today.

By *ittlemissnaughtybutniceWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Were you not still at school in the late 80's?"

Even I was still in school till late '80s ('87)!

R

By *honny 555Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Dyslexia as been a big problem for me all my life I am now 30 and working much more confident to tell people about it but I will never forget when I was younger how embarrassed I used to get at school I still see the same thing haping though there isn't enough help out there for us and people still don't always understand

I think it’s really up to you how much you let it affect you. For me it’s about develop coping strategies and your confidence.

I’m dyslexic and worked hard on the above and it’s never held me back. Just quickly, I have a degree, post grad, a masters and just started my second masters.

I’ve had a successful professional career and opted for a career change 2 years ago. This is going really well and so glad I changed.

I have lot of colleague of different ages who have protected characteristics and it doesn’t hold them back either. It’s about mind set, natural aptitude and hard work.

But everyone is different and can only speak from my experience

i have never let it hold me back. i am very open about it and people are understanding about it.

By *andCforfunCouple  over a year ago

Inverness

I am dyslexic, and I’ve worked in jobs and taken promotions was a manager for a while in social care, I’ve come across struggles with it but I’ve worked on it and made my employers aware even getting and updated assessment a few years ago. Work places are much more dyslexic friendly nowadays. I was bullied all the way through school cause of it I still sometimes question my abilities and it effects my confidence but then I think I have to try it and I’ve been good at things I never thought possible x

By *uzzy-LogicMan  over a year ago

Fochabers

I am dyslexic and have been to university twice. I just have to work around it; planning more time for reading and working on written projects, using more tools that are available.

At school we had one of the worst support departments in Scotland and I had to fight to get my dyslexia recognised.

But its about finding your own comfort zone, I like to push myself and don't let my dyslexia get in my way. But if you are happy not doing that all power to you, everyone is different.

Also what ass hat decided that dyslexia what the best spelling for it. surely something easier would of been kinder.

By *ewnameCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

you are in good company with the likes of : George Washington

Albert Einstein

Leonardo da Vinci

Thomas Edison

Churchill

JFK

Tom Cruise

j Leno

Branson

Steve Jobs

John Lennon

George Paton

Walt Disney

ho yes and Me

So just declare yourself and get on with your life, only the ignorant folk out there will have something silly to say, It would not be me, not getting on in life because of them.

Good luck

By *argaidMan  over a year ago

glasgow

Dyslexia doesn't have anything directly to do with grammar. Faults with grammar generally come from poor teaching, especially those of us afflicted by the idea that it wasn't important. That bit of trendy ideology hamstrung many of us.

» Add a new message to this topic