FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Origin of words that we all use

Origin of words that we all use

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Seeing Katie’s topic of “Keeping Schtum “ reminded me of my love of words derived from abroad that only a few people probably brought back/immigrants brought inand its became part of our culture...

Schtum I believe is German/Jewish/Yiddish fir silent/silence

Faldarals..... all dressed up. Spanish for Skirt dress .. Falda

Vamoose...beat it ....Vamos the verb to go in Soanish

Any more

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Scusi moi x

Que?

Au revoir x

I believe "feck off" is Irish.

"I believe "feck off" is Irish."

I believe it's use makes grown men sound a bit silly

It's cute you always call me Katie

I don't know if these are true but I like them...

The Gorbals is called that because that's where lepers lived and they rang a bell to warn people if they were approaching - gory bells

Hairies were working class girls who didn't wear hats

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

Quite a few from Hindu and the Middle East came back with the military in the 19th century

Something is cushy is from Hindu word for happy

Khaki is dust

Bint is a girl

Shufti is to look

Bonus if someone knows where the word fuck is derived from, if not I'll tell you

"It's cute you always call me Katie

I don't know if these are true but I like them...

The Gorbals is called that because that's where lepers lived and they rang a bell to warn people if they were approaching - gory bells

Hairies were working class girls who didn't wear hats"

Cunt

Middle English: of Germanic origin; related to Norwegian and Swedish dialect kunta, and Middle Low German, Middle Dutch, and Danish dialect kunte

By *eep.Man  over a year ago

Just a background character

"Cunt

Middle English: of Germanic origin; related to Norwegian and Swedish dialect kunta, and Middle Low German, Middle Dutch, and Danish dialect kunte"

I'm amazed it took 10 replies to get to this one

By *imbobaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Cunt

Middle English: of Germanic origin; related to Norwegian and Swedish dialect kunta, and Middle Low German, Middle Dutch, and Danish dialect kunte

I'm amazed it took 10 replies to get to this one "

Yeah, but what does it mean?

"Cunt

Yeah, but what does it mean?"

A woman's genitals

An unpleasant or stupid person

Glasgow

"Cunt

Yeah, but what does it mean?

A woman's genitals

An unpleasant or stupid person "

Aye, but I meant in an etymological sense. Also from Wikipedia

The earliest known use of the word, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, was as part of a placename of a London street, Gropecunt Lane, c. 1230. Use of the word as a term of abuse is relatively recent, dating from the late nineteenth century.

Gotta love the English language.

" The earliest known use of the word, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, was as part of a placename of a London street, Gropecunt Lane, c. 1230. Use of the word as a term of abuse is relatively recent, dating from the late nineteenth century.

Gotta love the English language. "

You sure it wasn't "trump" you looked up?

Glasgow

" The earliest known use of the word, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, was as part of a placename of a London street, Gropecunt Lane, c. 1230. Use of the word as a term of abuse is relatively recent, dating from the late nineteenth century.

Gotta love the English language.

You sure it wasn't "trump" you looked up? "

No but the entry for Trump reads similar but the f word is added as a prefix.

"Bonus if someone knows where the word fuck is derived from, if not I'll tell you "

It was the noise a caveman made when he came while shagging a woman he'd dragged back to his cave.

"Bonus if someone knows where the word fuck is derived from, if not I'll tell you

It was the noise a caveman made when he came while shagging a woman he'd dragged back to his cave."

Not even close

"Bonus if someone knows where the word fuck is derived from, if not I'll tell you "

F.U.C.K....For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? Sure ive dug that up from brain cells right at the back haha

I'd heard before it was Fornicate Under Command of the King, as population rates had dropped. But then I'm sure that turned out not to be true

By *argaidMan  over a year ago

glasgow

I've always been sure that 'boak' comes from the Gaelic 'bochd'.

If any of you think the word FUCK is an acronym please block me now

"If any of you think the word FUCK is an acronym please block me now "

Jeez, I did say it wasn't true !

"If any of you think the word FUCK is an acronym please block me now

Jeez, I did say it wasn't true !"

I don't really want you to block me

"Bonus if someone knows where the word fuck is derived from, if not I'll tell you

F.U.C.K....For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? Sure ive dug that up from brain cells right at the back haha "

You're very close, it derives from prison cell doors, if someone was in for beating someone up they wrote G.B.H on the board outside the door, if someone was in for grape, (not allowed to use the R word) they wrote F.U.C.K which stands for Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

"I'd heard before it was Fornicate Under Command of the King, as population rates had dropped. But then I'm sure that turned out not to be true "

That would be FUCOTK

By *errific_Teddy_BearMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

As good a place as any to ask.

What's 420????

F.U.C.K....For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge? Sure ive dug that up from brain cells right at the back haha

You're very close, it derives from prison cell doors, if someone was in for beating someone up they wrote G.B.H on the board outside the door, if someone was in for grape, (not allowed to use the R word) they wrote F.U.C.K which stands for Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge "

good one, I like trivia like that,makes for good pub discussions at times lol

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

Fuck was never an acronym, it is just one of the fake 'backronym' word origins to loads of words that have been circulating on the internet since the internet began. I remember seeing backronyms for fuck, golf and pommie as far back as the mid 80s

Fuck comes from the Germanic/Saxon (as in from Saxony) word Fick. Same meaning.

It has been recorded in Scots poetry from the 1500s until the Victorians got hold of the books and Bowdlerised the naughty bits out.

There is a similar word in Latin which may be a common root. It appears in a lot of the more down to earth Roman poetry.

For real naughty Roman stuff read the modern translations of Epigrams of Martial. Filthy stuff.

"As good a place as any to ask.

What's 420????"

Cannabis friendly

"Fuck was never an acronym, it is just one of the fake 'backronym' word origins to loads of words that have been circulating on the internet since the internet began. I remember seeing backronyms for fuck, golf and pommie as far back as the mid 80s

It has been recorded in Scots poetry from the 1500s until the Victorians got hold of the books and Bowdlerised the naughty bits out.

There is a similar word in Latin which may be a common root. It appears in a lot of the more down to earth Roman poetry.

For real naughty Roman stuff read the modern translations of Epigrams of Martial. Filthy stuff."

I Read 120days of Sodom/ Marquis de Sade, heavy going , main thing I recall he was partial to being fucked in the ass while fucking shepherdesses ... in the ass

"Fuck was never an acronym, it is just one of the fake 'backronym' word origins to loads of words that have been circulating on the internet since the internet began. I remember seeing backronyms for fuck, golf and pommie as far back as the mid 80s

For real naughty Roman stuff read the modern translations of Epigrams of Martial. Filthy stuff."

Ok so the word originates from Victorian times, possibly before I think, but let's go with what you've read on the "internet" how long has the internet been around?? How long has the word been around for there to be many people's opinions on the origin? But let's not agree with anyone on here, instead use a lot of fancy words you read on the "internet" and try to look clever

Glasgow

You're very close, it derives from prison cell doors, if someone was in for beating someone up they wrote G.B.H on the board outside the door, if someone was in for grape, (not allowed to use the R word) they wrote F.U.C.K which stands for Forced Unlawful Carnal Knowledge good one, I like trivia like that,makes for good pub discussions at times lol "

On a similar note, I always liked FUBAR.

Dunfermline

For real naughty Roman stuff read the modern translations of Epigrams of Martial. Filthy stuff.

Ok so the word originates from Victorian times, possibly before I think, but let's go with what you've read on the "internet" how long has the internet been around?? How long has the word been around for there to be many people's opinions on the origin? But let's not agree with anyone on here, instead use a lot of fancy words you read on the "internet" and try to look clever "

I'm not sure that you read what is wrote. I didn't say that it was from Victorian times I said it goes way back past Scots poets of the 1500. The Victorians tried to rewrite history and get rid of the swearing in literature. They ruined a lot of literature by editing out the naughty bits.

My information was not from the internet but is from studying scots literature from the middle English period. The word fuck appears there about the earliest i have come across, it comes from the Germanic languages. Most northern european languages have a fick, fikken or fock. They date back before the 1400s in Scots poems, I'm not sure about English poems, not my area.

The internet just seems to have a thing for creating 'backronyms'.

As for my vocabulary, this is how I speak I am not trying to be clever.

Dunfermline

".

I Read 120days of Sodom/ Marquis de Sade, heavy going , main thing I recall he was partial to being fucked in the ass while fucking shepherdesses ... in the ass "

De Sade was a crazy man. His work is a bit hard going, a bit hard core even for Fab.

Martial is crude but also quite funny and bitchy. If we had him in Latin in school instead of the boring poets I might have paid attention and passed.

".

I Read 120days of Sodom/ Marquis de Sade, heavy going , main thing I recall he was partial to being fucked in the ass while fucking shepherdesses ... in the ass

De Sade was a crazy man. His work is a bit hard going, a bit hard core even for Fab.

Martial is crude but also quite funny and bitchy. If we had him in Latin in school instead of the boring poets I might have paid attention and passed.

On my to read list ty

"

It was the noise a caveman made when he came while shagging a woman he'd dragged back to his cave.

Not even close "

It wasn't meant to be close.

Dunfermline

".

On my to read list ty

"

Make sure that it is a modern translation, the older translations tone down the content.

Want to know how skinny your arse is, Sabellus? It’s so skinny you can fuck people in the arse with it.

One brother licks a dick; his twin, a twat.

So are the twins identical or not?

".

On my to read list ty

Make sure that it is a modern translation, the older translations tone down the content.

Want to know how skinny your arse is, Sabellus? It’s so skinny you can fuck people in the arse with it.

One brother licks a dick; his twin, a twat.

So are the twins identical or not?"

» Add a new message to this topic