FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Do you want Scotland to become an Independent Country ?

Do you want Scotland to become an Independent Country ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *auluk87 OP   Man  over a year ago

glasgow

just intrested in people's thoughts I struggle to see many positive arguments for union at the moment

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No

By *ilandlarryCouple  over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

No

By *rs kemeaCouple  over a year ago

angus

No

By *ewels74Woman  over a year ago

Dundee/Angus/Blackpool

Nope

Yes.

glasgow

I used to think no but since the union is political and Scotland and england do not agree politically I fail to see its purpose anymore

Have always thought I would like it but in an age when we are being told there is no Money available can we really justify the massive cost involved in the split.

I remain to be convinced but at the moment my head is in charge, come polling day will my heart take over??????

A lot more involved than just politics. NO NO NO

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

No

Yes.

By *eefdoddusCouple  over a year ago

Scottish Borders

Yes, absolutely...!

By *macv9Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Yes.

I've never really heard an argument in favour of the union that doesn't come down to "we're too wee" to "go it alone".

We're the same size as the Czech Republic and Austria

When the Czech Republic are crying out to join the Slovaks again, and Austria want to become a part of Germany, then I'll be persuaded that we should stay part of the UK.

Furthermore, two people have been scrubbed from my hotlist for saying "no"

NO

By *illow PimpMan  over a year ago

Midlothian

„I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny! You have come to fight as free men. And free man you are! What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?” „Two thousand against ten?” – the veteran shouted. „No! We will

run – and live!” „Yes!” Wallace shouted back. „Fight and you may die. Run and you will live at least awhile. And dying in your bed many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one cahnce, to come back here as young men and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they will never take our freedom!”

couldn't resist

On a serious note its a big YES from me

Yes

Scotland was once a an independent country till we were invaded buy England so why cant we be independent again

And can someone explain to me why Westminster don't want it when most off the English MPs say we the Scots are subsidised. Surly if that's the case surly they would be happy to save the money they send us

By *abrina59TV/TS  over a year ago

submissive land

something to do with revenue and oil cant think what they want lol

By *nTCouple  over a year ago

funland

yes

yes

yes

yes

oh and did i say yes lol

in all honesty this counrty would fall on its arse if we went independent, would we join the euro, would we join the EEC do we all need new passports and who's going to pay for it certainly not the so called scottish government as much as I would like to be independant its just financially not going to happen

oh ye of little faith

In principle yes, but still too many unanswered questions.

Now if Salmond said he'd not seek membership of the EU, and the euro, that would be a whole different story!! EU membership is one of the questions which he hasn't answered.

And though I'm not a gambler, if he gets his DevoMax question on the ballot paper then I'd put money on that being the result.

not of little faith just being honest coz it'll only end up being us the scottish people that pay for it

Maybe by the time of the referendum, there won't BE a Eurozone, so, sorted lol

good point

[Removed by poster at 25/01/12 22:35:30]

Yes!!-I'm all for it, and just don't believe all the scare stories of going it alone. And, quite honestly, I'm fed up listening to the English MPs who say we're subsidised by the rest of the UK.

FREEDOM!

Gladly pay higher taxes to help scotland in her independence......so its a yes from me

glasgow

yeah have to agree, of all the countries that have left the british empire not one nation has come back asking to be ruled from london again

By *rebor601cplCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

Yes as long as Edinburgh council have no part in the running of it !

By *bking1669Man  over a year ago

Dundee

to quote

"of all the countries that have left the british empire not one nation has come back asking to be ruled from london again"

True but do we want to be Zimbabwi!!!!!

By *phrodysiacWoman  over a year ago

Leven

Wish someone would tell that little fat jerk Salmond that it wont work and the majority of the nation dont want it. Dont know where he thinks all the money is going to come from and there are too many negatives. A great big NO

By *ot - CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Gladly pay higher taxes to help scotland in her independence......so its a yes from me"
The tax is high enough thank you.

By *ot - CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

We are undecided.

It would depend on who gets the oil revenue?? As if we don't get that, all we've got is rain!!!!

So until that is clarified were saying dunno xx

If there is a box for Independence from both Westminster AND Holyrood then I'll vote, otherwise- couldn't care less, makes fuck all difference to me. Whether it's some assholes in London or Edinburgh dictating to me how I should live my life, the result is still the same.

Have a look at a poem by Burn's called The Dumfries Volunteers

By *ethany10Couple  over a year ago

falkirk

As an Englishman living in Scotland, no cos my missionary work is not finished lol

Is it not clear that Alex Salmond is trying to rig this referendum, why would a separatist party, that have been campaigning for independence for decades postpone the referendum until 2014? It can't be down to the fact that the Commonwealth games, Ryder cup and 700th anniversary of the battle of bannockburn are in the same year, can it?

Does haughty Gaul invasion threat,

Then let the loons beware, Sir,

There's wooden walls upon our seas,

And volunteers on shore, Sir.

The Nith shall run to Corsincon,

And Criffel sink in Solway,

Ere we permit a foreign foe

On British ground to rally!

II.

O let us not, like snarling tykes,

In wrangling be divided;

Till slap come in an unco loon

And wi' a rung decide it.

Be Britain still to Britain true,

Amang oursels united;

For never but by British hands

Maun British wrangs be righted!

III.

The kettle o' the kirk and state,

Perhaps a clout may fail in't;

But deil a foreign tinkler loon

Shall ever ca' a nail in't.

Our fathers' bluid the kettle bought,

And wha wad dare to spoil it;

By heaven! the sacrilegious dog

Shall fuel be to boil it.

IV.

The wretch that wad a tyrant own,

And the wretch his true-born brother,

Who would set the mob aboon the throne,

May they be damned together!

Who will not sing, "God save the King,"

Shall hang as high's the steeple;

But while we sing, "God save the King,"

We'll ne'er forget the people.

Lee writing

First I would love to thank everyone on their views. I think it is fantastic when the PEOPLE want what is good for their land.

I need to think of some basic concepts that many in the western lands have sometimes forgot.

1. A government is elected by the PEOPLE and for the PEOPLE. It is there to organise and represent a land for the good of all.

That means in clear text…..its our government….we are not their taxpayers.

2. Politicians, they are liars!!! Why does every one think this time, that time and last time it was different. Doesn’t mater which county.

3. News is mass media, if you control the media….you control the people. So as you are watching your news….THINK!!! don’t just believe….use you internet to find other info…inform your self.

4.remember who you voted for…..and for those people whoi did not vote….YOU VOTED FOR GUY IN OFFICE BY NOT VOTING.

5. Freedom / independence: easy words....but if you are born into slavery….you don’t know what it really is. It becomes scary to think wot will happen. (did you know in the South (USA) 30% of the slaves wanted to stay slaves after the civil war. They did not know wot to do with freedom. I see some similarities here. Many Scots are so use to being under the UK government…that the thought of a Scottish government scares them. (money, taxes, trade, Euro and so on)

6. Freedom also is a lot of work and self thinking.

yes its scary, and the mass media, will make fear stories in up coming year to scare the Scots, and the rich Scots will be scared they will lose there money…..

But I think there is a long deep rooted since of pride, strength and will in the Scottish people. Over the centuries and even today, they have had struggles and always met them….. now is no different….. politicians come and go, Kings and Queens are born and die…..and Scotland is still here. Believe in your land and not in someone elses.

There is a smell of freedom in the air, we can hold our breath and die or inhale deeply and get to work.

Hugs,

Lee (this also reflects the opinion of Nessarosa) we team!!!

"Wish someone would tell that little fat jerk Salmond that it wont work and the majority of the nation dont want it. "

Ah well, there we go. Why waste money on a referendum when you know how we all feel already.

Great big YES vote here.

Those who say we're not big enough to go on our own, take a wee look towards Norway.

I think I'm for it but lots of unanswered questions. I certainly believe we are capable of runing our own country.

"It would depend on who gets the oil revenue?? "

We would as it lies within our waters off our coast.

It's the only reason Westminster are so keen to hold onto us.

Still lots to understand about the pros and cons!!!I think I'd rather our beautiful country be fucked up by Holyrood than a bunch of folk who really don't care about us.....and are 400 miles away!!!!We weren't asked 300 yrs ago.....think it's time for that referendum!!!.......A MASSIVE YES HERE!!!!!Pity you can't get this font any bigger!!!!!AND,YES,I AM SHOUTING MY ANSWER!!!!

By *icboyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I am not a fan of the SNP.

Scotland as a country is completely different from England politically, we are poles apart.

So on that we at the very least need to have a referendum.

We can then vote out the SNP as they will have served their purpose.

Midlothian

"It's the only reason Westminster are so keen to hold onto us."

It's not the only reason, another being that the conservative party would finally be dead and burried once and for all in Scotland.

Midlothian

"Whether it's some assholes in London or Edinburgh dictating to me how I should live my life, the result is still the same."

Never under estimate the power of the ballot box.

People have the chance to make a difference unlike alot of countries.

now theres one....i would normally say yes definafely, but with the debt that is owed england after bailing out thr banks of scotland there is talk of us maybe having to join the single currency. is that what we want ??????? i certainly dont.

OK

I used to have a Q&A sheet with all my questions answered TRUTHFULLY by Westminster. Independence, Finance, Economically, Defence etc etc etc

Of the 4 Nations Scotland is the only one that has its head afloat.....

The UK's massive debt has been down to mismanagement from ENGLAND...........

Yes we can go it alone, the tax implications won't be as high as people think compared to other Euro Countries.

As for 2014........Salmond stated when he won the Election that there would be a referendum at the END of his time in office. Nov 2014 is 6 months before that time.

Westminster want him to bring it forward because there is still an element of doubt among the Scottish people. Another 2 years of Tory fuck ups will turn the Scottish people away from London completely.

Remember.....once independent we don't need Salmond.....we can vote anyone in as First Minister within an independent state.

Personally I think he is a sly old fox and we could do with his committment and passion as that is something that is missing in Westminster.

As for the Eurozone........The whole idea of this zone was to turn Europe into ONE zone with smaller states similar to the USA. One Central Government, One currency etc.....It has been the stiff upper crust English that has stopped the UK from giving it 100%.

Lose the monarchy and this we are better than you attitude Little Englnd has and lets get on with living a better life rather than bowing to some Public schoolboyt in Westmnster who hasn't a clue where Scotland is

Agree with his policies or not, most folk would concede the First Minister is entertaining, at the very least. I laughed out loud when he said an English politician had said something in 'apparent sobriety'. He is refreshing sometimes.

This is something i have thought about for years . Since i was a school child . At the moment i would vote yes . i have always been a unionist and even have a tattoo of the union flag on me along with st andrews flag . However it seems to me the more time goes on with the various governments down south that Scotland has often been used as a scapegoat and is generally looked at as some kind of sickly younger brother . They need us far more than we need them . I would rather have independence and find out if we can do it ourselves than live through the rest of my life always wondering about it . Defence , the Euro, poassports etc etc yes big issues but looking at the scandanavian countries i think they can be overcome . As for the post about England invading Scotland and taking our freedom ....not really true it was a Scot that created the union we wanted it , we needed it . If the time has come and the people want change then so be it . Trying to keep this short as could write forever on this subject lol .

Wasn't really a 'we' in the formation of the Union. Burns had it right talking about being bought and sold for a pot of gold by a parcel of rogues. Those in power, and that was never the common people, because they had no say, lost their fortunes in Darien and were virtually bribed to agree to the Union and so, it happened.

By *he chess masterMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

alex salmond was a lttle fish in a big pond at west minster and couldnt handle it ..now he is a big fish in a little pond in scottish the parliment..and loves the attention

the answer is definately a NO the scottish people and economy are not here to massage his ego

And on the formation of the Union, which most of Scotland at the time felt had betrayed them, the English government paid the Company of Scotland the equivalent of their loss in Darien, nearly £400,000. Guess what that company became. Yes, the RBS. Sigh....

Certain irony, perhaps, that RBS should be the cause of the union and be involved in votes for its dissolution

[Removed by poster at 26/01/12 15:17:08]

Just want rid of those pricks Cameron ,Osbourne and their wee lacky Clegg. 3 friggin stooges.

"If there is a box for Independence from both Westminster AND Holyrood then I'll vote, otherwise- couldn't care less, makes fuck all difference to me. Whether it's some assholes in London or Edinburgh dictating to me how I should live my life, the result is still the same.

"

Don't want to take this off topic, but the big problem is that we're already being dictated to......... by a bunch of unelected eejits in Brussels!!!

What's the point of getting independence from Westminster when we're already being ruled by Brussels?? And it sounds very much as if Salmond wants an independent Scotland to join the EU, wonder if he'll give us a referendum on that???

Defo not

We would start as a new country with between 34.5 billion and 65.5 billion in debt due to our share of the uk national debt.

It is not what the snp are telling us it is what they are covering up.

Remember there is no going back and the oil is on it's way out !!!

By *olly Gentle GiantMan  over a year ago

Glenrothes

I've never felt am affinity with those south me hadrian's wall. He it wisnae fur us, whaur wid they be? As someone penned ' wha's like us. Damned few - an their a deid." so the heart emphatically says YES. But as has been said, do the finances add up? We'll never get am honest answer on that.

No way. No oil, no gas no industry... can anyone tell me where the revenue comes from? Oh also 15% drug or alchohol dependant and as for people claiming benefits in Scotland then bloody hell... So NO big time unless someone can re educate me .

Please Mr Salmond let us English join the referendum as well. It will help you get your independence even quicker. At last the Scots and English people agree.......

Bye bye

By *illiam19Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

YES we need to learn to stand on our own 2 feet

By *assmanMan  over a year ago

dundee

at the moment i say yes, but lots of things to be decided, like is the oil going to be ours? what about defence, NHS, would the council tax go that was brought in by maggie on the scots a whole year before england/wales?

By *urioduoCouple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

for me it is a yes and no ..... YES I want independance but NO this is not the time

By *ib n HelCouple  over a year ago

tayside

YES.!!!!!!!!!!!WE'VE BEEN RUN FROM LONDON FOR 300 YEARS AND WHAT AN ARSE HAS BEEN MADE OF IT. maybe we will make mistakes, maybe we won't have much money maybe there'll be hard times.but at least it'll be OOR mistakes and OOR money,and OOR problems to solve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glasgow

"Defo not

We would start as a new country with between 34.5 billion and 65.5 billion in debt due to our share of the uk national debt.

It is not what the snp are telling us it is what they are covering up.

Remember there is no going back and the oil is on it's way out !!!"

that argument is meaningless as we will be paying our share of the national debt regardless. we will be paying it if we stay in union. far better is it not to pay our share of the debt when we can raise our own revenues for the scottish people

Yes

For 22 of the last 33 years the Scottish people have had a government that they voted against forced upon them. We have been taken into an illegal war that we didn't want and that killed our young. They're will be problems along the way but at least they will be OUR problems that WE can deal with our way. We can then stand shoulder to shoulder with our English neighbours as equals, and not the scroungers that we are portrayed in the English press. and as someone who lived in England for nearly ten years I can assure you that is the way we are portrayed in the press down there.

after the olympics, everyone will want to be scottish or irish due to the f*** up it`s going to be, ohh but hang on if that happens it wont be the london olympics anymore it will be the UK Olympics and if we became independant does that mean we can refuse english notes like they do with scottish ones ? but i think it is a yes from me nothing much to lose anymore country is f***ed up anyway.

Dependence Meaning and Definition

(n.) Subjection to the direction or disposal of another; inability to help or provide for one's self.

(n.) That on which one depends or relies; as, he was her sole dependence.

(n.) A resting with confidence; reliance; trust.

(n.) The state of being influenced and determined by something; subjection (as of an effect to its cause).

(n.) The act or state of depending; state of being dependent; a hanging down or from; suspension from a support.

(n.) Mutu/// /onnection and support; concatenation; systematic ///er relation.

(n.) A matter depending, or in suspense, and still to be determined; ground of controversy or quarrel.

(n.) That which depends; anything dependent or suspended; anything attached a subordinate to, or contingent on, something else.

INDEPENDENCE Meaning and Definition

(n.) The state or quality of being independent; freedom from dependence; exemption from reliance on, or control by, others; self-subsistence or maintenance; direction of one's own affairs without interference.

(n.) Sufficient means for a comfortable livelihood.

Totally support the call for independence, it's long overdue that we should run our own country and make all of our own decisions... seorsa a nis

it should have happened a long long time ago, but at the moment i think its wrong for scotland.there are too may unanswered questions. let the snp and holyrood deliver on all the promises they made when they were elected before we decide , so i think 2014 is the right time.so at the moment, although i want it i will have to say no

I have read this alot in the above entries...."Unanswered questions"

who is everyone waiting to answer all these unanswered questions....

...who are we again DEPENDING on to make our worries go away and our financial troubles disappear?

dont want to break no ones bubble....but its the same politicians some of you dont like, the oil company's, the banks and yes those evil rich people that have taken over....lol

there is no true blue print for Scotland independence, they will make a plan...some will say it will work...and others pray on fear..and tell you it wont work....

Scotland is so brainwashed into thinking it is not strong.... I think it is, i believe in the Scottish people and know wot is in them. I see it in there faces and when I talk to them, I see it in the young that are born into poverty and how ashamed they are. I see it in the struggling mothers and hard working fathers. Oh there is a strength in those faces....just have to look at it and realize its in your own mirror.

Independence is born of passion, dreams and a will to make it work. Rally a nation behind a one cause...the success is Independence. Divide the people with fear and uncertainty...we will forever be ruled.

So...there are no guarantees....no money back, no 90 trail period, no easy road....its independence...once you got it...thats when you build your country....thats when you earn your money, thats when you see your resources and make the best you can. a Scotland for Scotland.

Hugs,

Lee

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

no,at the moment,but will listen to the pros and cons,over the next two years,try to separate the wheat from the chaff,and make my mind up from that.

i have no doubt,scotland could go it alone,many similar countries do.

although it would deny both scotland and england,the opportunity to practice our favourite national pastime,whinging about each other.

how would we fill that gap,in our conversation.

"no,at the moment,but will listen to the pros and cons,over the next two years,try to separate the wheat from the chaff,and make my mind up from that.

i have no doubt,scotland could go it alone,many similar countries do.

although it would deny both scotland and england,the opportunity to practice our favourite national pastime,whinging about each other.

how would we fill that gap,in our conversation."

By bringing back the Scotland v England football matches every year. Before they make it team GB full time....but that is another debate!

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow & Surrounds

Unless he can answer questions on defence, health, pensions, embassies and immigration.

With believable honesty... I for one will vote no.

I asked the question re immigration policy on an other site and was answered with a torrent of personal abuse from cyber nats trolling the web..

It seems when a difficult question is asked, all that is resorted to is character assassination and verbal abuse.

Unpleasant and childish, its going to be a long two years.

By *stonishCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

how can we afford it with the rest of the world in the mess it is in. and no way do i want to see salmond as king of scotland. just think he wants in the history books regardles of what he does. so a big NO from us.

NO! This is merely Alex Salmond catering to his own ego. He has not yet even proved he can govern the country as first minister, a fact evident when look at state of unemplyment poverty crime etc. his referendum is illegal and worded in such a way as to antagonise - the question should be

'Do you want to leave the UK'

ON a side note to those you slag the English as course and talk of invasions et al - read your Scottish history - it was a Scottish king who formulated the union, a scottish king who forced the act through and the scottish nobles in both Edinburgh and Westminister who voted for it. It was never the English's idea.

Alex salmond's political goal has always been to be remembered as the man who brought Scotland indipendance.

DESPITE the cost to scotland as a nation or the Scots as a people or the UK as a whole.

I have never voted politcally in my life, but i will vote against this.

How can it be a proper vote for the nation when, Scottish born people who do not live in Scotland at the time of voting. DONT have a vote!!!!!, yet non Scottish nationals living in Scotland at the time, HAVE a vote!?!?!?

Its a FARCE Rant over, back to pervin'

" it was a Scottish king who formulated the union, a scottish king who forced the act through and the scottish nobles in both Edinburgh and Westminister who voted for it. It was never the English's idea. "

Eh, which Scottish king? James V1 had gone to London a long time before. It was indeed the English idea. Them and a parcel of rogues aka as Scottish nobles with a deep hole in their pockets from the Darien Scheme and the promise/bribe of getting their money back from Westminster. All Scots should really know this.

If people wish to drag history into the argument. The Scots have brought civilisation to far flung corners of the world, invented and discovered some world wonders to help mankind on his way, befriended and fought anyone who neede it!

BUT, historically, could never manage thier own affairs.

Nothing has changed

Yes, things HAVE changed. We have a democracy now. Scotland 300 yrs and more ago has ALWAYS been pulled by the greed and self interest of a few. Voting rights mean EVERYONE in the county can have a say, just like any other country. If other small countries like Slovakia can emerge victorious from their past, without our resources, why on earth can't Scotland?

The whole point is that Scotland has been denied the opportunity to manage itself, sold to England by a handful of lords with vested interest. Our close neighbours Norway, about the same size as Scotland, are an independant country, who kept control of their oil revenues and set up an oil fund which they use only to improve the infra-structure of their country. Norway has one of the highest standards of living in the world. Are we saying that we are incapable of doing the same given the choice, even if we take oil and gas out of the equation we have more natural re-sources per head that most countries in Europe. Take the leap of faith that is needed.

"The whole point is that Scotland has been denied the opportunity to manage itself, sold to England by a handful of lords with vested interest. Our close neighbours Norway, about the same size as Scotland, are an independant country, who kept control of their oil revenues and set up an oil fund which they use only to improve the infra-structure of their country. Norway has one of the highest standards of living in the world. Are we saying that we are incapable of doing the same given the choice, even if we take oil and gas out of the equation we have more natural re-sources per head that most countries in Europe. Take the leap of faith that is needed. "

Couldn't agree more, i'm sure we will make mistakes along the way but let us make our own mistakes.

Midlothian

"I have never voted politcally in my life, but i will vote against this.

How can it be a proper vote for the nation when, Scottish born people who do not live in Scotland at the time of voting. DONT have a vote!!!!!, yet non Scottish nationals living in Scotland at the time, HAVE a vote!?!?!?

Its a FARCE Rant over, back to pervin' "

You have never voted yet concerned about others not having a vote, when you do have a vote and don't use it

No wonders the country's fucked

"I have never voted politcally in my life, but i will vote against this.

How can it be a proper vote for the nation when, Scottish born people who do not live in Scotland at the time of voting. D

You have never voted yet concerned about others not having a vote, when you do have a vote and don't use it

"

like i said...

4.remember who you voted for…..and for those people who did not vote….YOU VOTED FOR GUY IN OFFICE BY NOT VOTING.

hugs,

Lee

If we're independent do we get our own Eurovision entry???

lmao good question ....the major issue we are all concerned about, hmm who would we put forward ?

[Removed by poster at 27/01/12 11:55:02]

Never been into politics, too busy living

I have the right not to vote too if i wish. Yes all the arguments about voting and not voting are valid.

But daft as it sounds, it has been my belief since i became eligable to vote, that i would only ever vote for a Scottish govt in charge of an independant Scotland.

This is not the time and these are not the people to be pushing for it.

British and proud, Sottish and fiercely proud.

Politics, religion and family!!!!

Lets stick to shaggin',suckin' and kissin'

I'll get me coat

xxx

Midlothian

"I have the right not to vote too if i wish"

Then yeah cannae moan when it goes tits up lol

The devolution set-up currently works well for Scots, we enjoy the benefit of having main powers that impact our everyday life's devolved to a separate administration in Edinburgh, this also gives Scots a sense of independence within the United Kingdom, it serves both nationalists and unionists well. If Scotland did separate, we could not ignore the fact that still a large amount of Scots would like to remain British and remain within a United Kingdom, so would an independent Scotland not cause more division? -

Scotland would still be part of the UK, it's the Union of Parliaments we would be voting to dissolve or not the Union of Crowns, which preceded it by 104 yrs

glasgow

"The devolution set-up currently works well for Scots, we enjoy the benefit of having main powers that impact our everyday life's devolved to a separate administration in Edinburgh, this also gives Scots a sense of independence within the United Kingdom, it serves both nationalists and unionists well. If Scotland did separate, we could not ignore the fact that still a large amount of Scots would like to remain British and remain within a United Kingdom, so would an independent Scotland not cause more division? -"

Surely it couldnt cause more divission than the union is currently causing ??

glasgow

[Removed by poster at 27/01/12 21:22:22]

By *nTCouple  over a year ago

funland

"just intrested in people's thoughts I struggle to see many positive arguments for union at the moment"

YES.................

Er, no it doesn't. As part of the treaty of Maastricht Westminster re-Drew our borders pairing a line through the north Sea and stealing several lucrative fields. That this was done with the collusion of the 'Scottish' press - the Daily Retard gave the story less than one column inch on page 11 - shows why we need to determine our own fate.

That was in reply to knotty's comment about oil revenue. Don't know why the quote vanished, it was there on the edit page

dont think anyone wouldnt take independence if we were sure to prosper with it, however its like walking into a bookies and betting all your accumulated wealth and posessions on a horse, if you win your laughing, and if you lose your totally fucked.

the big worry is that without alex salmond the SNP is nothing, and he probably wont go on for all that much longer,hes retired once already remember. once hes gone the snp will fade back into the background where it has always been, and what we would be left with is a situation where we have a labour government in scotland who want to be part of the union, what will happen then, will we rejoin?

the snp government undoubtedly has a short lifespan, they are a passing fad, do you really want to gamble the futures of generations to come by pledging yourself to a man like Salmond and a political partys agenda who may not even be in power in 5years?

as much as i loathe salmond its undeniable he is a superb parlimentarian. however i cant help but feel he preaches to the uneducated and neanderthal element of scottish society with all this independance carry on like its braveheart,scottish v english.

and allowing kids of 16 to vote smacks of desperation.

Midlothian

"and allowing kids of 16 to vote smacks of desperation."

I was working shifts, paying tax and national insurance at 15 why should i not have the right to decide where my contributions are squandered

yes but voting age should be 18, sounds like salmond is hoping the kids will win it for him

yes vote for Scottish Independance- when and only when the SNP, gets tough on crime, better job creation policys, better education policys, care of the elderly and sick children, and above all better built road( no potholes- you can disappear into) have too say i am all for it, but can we trust the SNP to deliver on the promises they make? only time will tell.

Midlothian

[Removed by poster at 28/01/12 09:30:13]

Midlothian

"yes but voting age should be 18, sounds like salmond is hoping the kids will win it for him"

There is no single definition of maturity though

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

here country has been stripped bare over the yrs and simply couldnt compete also the massive debt we would have to take a part of. for those reasons alone its a massive no here

" here country has been stripped bare over the yrs and simply couldnt compete also the massive debt we would have to take a part of. for those reasons alone its a massive no here "
. What IS all this stuff about taking our share of the debt? Do you think England pays 100% at the moment? Lol. I think not. Scotland already pays her share

YES, a 100% YES!!

This is probably my most passionate subject right now. It's a 100% definate YES to independance. We're an oppressed nation, invaded by a foreign country who still rule us.

I have nothing against the English, infact in half English. I'm just a really proud Scot, fed up of the arrogance of the world thing that England is the United Kingdom. We're such a proud nation, and our national identity is covered in the mist that is the old and outdated union. Scotland voted 1 tory MP, and we still end up with a muppet like David Cameron as PM.

We can go it alone. We put in more than we get out already, and with the freedom of independance, I'm sure we could do even more.

fuck no,nice idea but it would be a total fuck up!!!!

Not bothered! We will still be paying high taxes and getting shafted no matter what!!!

No, not for me. I just dont see the point other than its a nice _omantic idea.

Too many people have been watching Braveheart methinks. lol

A massive no for me.

The westminster government closed Ravenscraig to protect Sheffields steel industry, they closed the yards in the clyde to protect southamptons shipbuilding, they closed productive coal mines in fife and central scotland, they have spend £212 billion pounds of scottish tax payers money on the olympics in london of which scotland has received 0.04% back. They built the dome in London at the cost of £1bn of taxpayers money and then sold it of £1. They have taken us into an illegal war that has killed our young. Saying this is "Just a _omantic idea" and "too many people have been watching braveheart"is too poor an argument! By all means disagree with independance, but at least have a real reason for something that is so important to all of our future's.

Re: the last post, they did all that on tyneside, closed shipyards, closed mines, and closed steelworks, Consett in County Durham, being one at least where, it was said, often in that closure, father, son and mother lost their jobs, when Consett Steelworks, closed in 1980, with the stroke of a pen, 2000 jobs went, also in my old home town, they closed a coal mine, which had 20 yrs of life left in it, coal has been imported dirt cheap into the UK, I agree with the comments about the Olympics in London being funded by us Scottish Taxpayers, let's hope we see some long term benefits, from it- I can't see it really, as for full independance, well whether or not it is a viable prospect, remains to be seen- only time will tell, personally speaking politicians, just say what they want on the day, and back peddle as soon as there riding the political gravy train

» Add a new message to this topic